Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1101197 times)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4900 on: June 07, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
I have just started packing things up in my house. I'm not moving, but I'm having all of my floors refinished so everything except the kitchen and bathroom will get moved out for a few days (well, not EVERYTHING, but most). I started with a coat closet that isn't often used and got rid of a coat and some Christmas items.

Its just me living in the house and I really don't have much "stuff" but there is always a little bit to toss. For better or worse, this is the third time in two years that I have been prompted to go through large portions of my possessions. The first was a bed bug situation (courtesy of my then roommate), second was a broken water line and related flood to 1/3 of the house, now the floors (which is the last of the flood related repair). The bed bug situation caused the biggest purge as almost everything had to be either decontaminated or tossed. In the past, my roommate had trouble letting go of things, but her fear of bugs trumped almost any attachment. As much of a headache as it was, I secretly loved the bug purge.

Due to my contractor getting behind schedule, I have now lived over week with the vast majority of my things stored in the garage. I.love.it. My closet is empty other than the items I wear weekly and my living room has a reclining lawn chair and my tv. It helps that my kitchen is completely intact, but it has prompted me to purge a few items from there as well. After my floors are done, I only plan to bring things back into the house as I need them.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4901 on: June 09, 2017, 02:07:36 AM »
Feeling the need to organize my posts here!  Worried I might miss something.

Gone (see, I did make progress):
shaving cream
costume jewelery
old printer
1 shred bin full

Almost gone:
electronics (waiting for the hard drives to be cleared)
CD's (need shipping materials)
side table (listed, but no interest yet)

Priority to move out next:
stability ball
yarn
paper monster
skis
bike
too-fancy knitting purse/handbag

Whew, that feels better.  My organizing efforts are organized again.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4902 on: June 09, 2017, 05:17:14 AM »
Our local buy nothing group is having an in person event on Friday that I think will end up being a giant disaster (the moderator has posted about it to the public, people who haven't been in our group, aren't in the boundaries, and aren't bringing things to give- tables of free stuff? Gonna be a grab fest.)

But I'm trying to put together a box of stuff to take though.

This is town wide garage sale weekend. I'm going to try to avoid going. I really don't need anything. Baby clothes, but it's too hard to guess her size ahead of time.

Better Late

• Stubble
« Reply #4903 on: June 09, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »
Cleaned the garage last weekend. It felt a little overwhelming but DH and I decided ahead of time we would focus on the "low hanging fruit". Got a full van's worth of stuff outta there. I also labeled a few boxes.

went through DD's closet- I big bag of clothing to Goodwill and 2 bags of the nicer things to our local parish who has a free-store where folks in need can shop.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #4904 on: June 09, 2017, 12:32:27 PM »
DH and I recently moved into our new home.  I'd been donating items for months prior, but we still have so much, it seems!  As I've been unpacking, I've scrutinized every item.  So far in the donate pile:

1 suit-Outdated, but in good shape, so I'm hoping a woman with an office job can utilize it.
3 shirts
1 blazer
3 t-shirts
5 pairs of shoes (One never worn pair.  I've moved 6-8 times since purchasing them.  What a waste!)

Last night I reduced 1 1/2 shoe boxes of junk drawer items into one small drawer

In the misc toss/giveaway box is a travel mug, tray from a toaster oven we gave away last year, and a few other things.

Goals this week is to add 11 more donation clothing items, and to finish the kitchen.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4905 on: June 09, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
This morning I finished sorting through another box of papers, this one mostly monthly statements for a Jeep I no longer own and paid off 5 years before I got rid of it, old 401(k) statements for a couple of 401(k) accounts I no longer have, and a few things I kept, like certificate of health insurance letters and doctor results for things done pre-2010.  Mostly shredded the papers, kept maybe 1/3 to be gone through again once I have the biggest amount of crap gone.  Now to tidy up what I kept, and then go get another box of papers out of storage.

Also have at least one long sleeve tshirt to donate, and a handful of refrigerator magnets to add in.  My current RV fridge doesn't hold magnets.  Small steps.

I'm taking a few food items to some friends that are move than I can eat in a timely manner that were bought when I still 'stocked up' from Costco.

This is slow, but it is getting done.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4906 on: June 09, 2017, 01:24:35 PM »
I should also have a look at old papers. I think I still have salary printouts from my first jobs prior to 1998. Also all sorts of insurance papers of insurances we ever have had in the time everything was sent to us in paper.

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #4907 on: June 09, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »
I should also have a look at old papers. I think I still have salary printouts from my first jobs prior to 1998. Also all sorts of insurance papers of insurances we ever have had in the time everything was sent to us in paper.

I've mostly been ruthless about getting rid of paper (sometimes too ruthless), but just a few days ago I came upon a box of old statements that had moved house with us six years ago because at that time they were still recent enough for me to need to keep them in case the taxman took a close interest in my freelance income. I could probably shred them now.

My husband's old online shop stock is still trickling out of the house and I've chipped off the tip of my craft supplies mountain. My eBay attention span is starting to reach its end and we've got a vacation coming up in just under two weeks, so I'll terminate any remaining listings then and come back to it later in the year.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #4908 on: June 09, 2017, 10:35:20 PM »
Did a massive cull of all the hand me down baby clothes we've been storing for potential kid #2.  Realized we only need a small fraction of what we have.  Took about eight boxes of boy and girl clothes to a local women's shelter that accepts donations.  Feel great knowing that someone who needs this stuff will get to use it, rather than having it take up space and our house and collect dust.  Freed up 4 underbed storage boxes in the process!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4909 on: June 10, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
I'm cleaning out my classroom this week. I did such a good job decluttering last year that there hasn't been much to dispose of. :)
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4910 on: June 10, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
I recycled a bunch of old text books from college earlier in the year. I don't know what I was thinking when I was in college. With the exception of a few books, I should have sold those suckers back to the bookstore the second the semester was over. Everything I had was about 14 years old and worthless.

Exactly!  I fall into the trap of "I might need this someday".  Even if I'm right 10% of the time (which I'm probably not), it's still not worth it to have the remaining 90% junk filling up my house meanwhile.

"I might need this someday" is my middle name. Inherited it from my Dad who grew up in the Depression.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4911 on: June 11, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
Over the past week or so we filled a very large box with little-used toys to donate.

Took us a while, but the big box of toys went to the Goodwill today.  Also a couple dozen items of baby clothes, a changing table cushion, and a giant plastic painting easel the kids used just a couple times in several years.  It feels awesome to have that stuff out of the house!

Finally, I dug up a pile of ~30 old college textbooks and started trying to assess the value.  As expected, most were worthless.  But around 10 had values ranging from $10-$40.  So I need to figure out whether it's worth it to try selling some or all on half.com, etc.  My local library won't take them until the next book sale in ~6 months.

Bah, no progress on this one yet.  :(

I've also started sorting through a large box of old computer stuff.  Cases, mice, dozens of cords and cables, routers, modems, a laptop with a broken screen...oh my.  If I could put it all in a giant box and give it to a someone who could scavenge the useful parts and responsibly recycle the rest, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?
"Overcoming the inertia of status quo since tomorrow"

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4912 on: June 11, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
Over the past week or so we filled a very large box with little-used toys to donate.

Took us a while, but the big box of toys went to the Goodwill today.  Also a couple dozen items of baby clothes, a changing table cushion, and a giant plastic painting easel the kids used just a couple times in several years.  It feels awesome to have that stuff out of the house!

Finally, I dug up a pile of ~30 old college textbooks and started trying to assess the value.  As expected, most were worthless.  But around 10 had values ranging from $10-$40.  So I need to figure out whether it's worth it to try selling some or all on half.com, etc.  My local library won't take them until the next book sale in ~6 months.

Bah, no progress on this one yet.  :(

I've also started sorting through a large box of old computer stuff.  Cases, mice, dozens of cords and cables, routers, modems, a laptop with a broken screen...oh my.  If I could put it all in a giant box and give it to a someone who could scavenge the useful parts and responsibly recycle the rest, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Do you belong to any Facebook Buy/Sell groups? I would post it on there. I gave away an old laptop that way.

I sold an old box of record albums today for $50. Actually had a lot of people respond that they wanted it. I guess vinyl is making a comeback.

Also sorted some papers for shredding and a bunch of old file folders for recycling.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4913 on: June 11, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Smalfor today.  I am going through old foodstuffs and seeing if any of it is still good.  I had a container of dehydrated sausage flavored tofu (or whatever the version it was, not meat) that I tried this morning.  It tasted old, or maybe I just don't like it.  It has been open for over a year on the shelf, so it is now in the trash.  Also, tossed some eggs that floated in a glass of water.  I already had new eggs given to me, and someone told me to not get food poisoning over $.80 worth of eggs.

Next us, chili to use up a can or two of beans.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #4914 on: June 11, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »
I have lots of success with FB buy/sell groups for buying, selling and giving away. Second that notion. :)

Backstory: downsized from 900 to 600 sq ft.

- emptied a dresser. Found more suitable place for contents. Dresser gone. Woohoo!

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4915 on: June 11, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
Got rid of kids school papers from this last school year.  Only kept the fun stuff which is anything written about them, any written projects, art projects and awards.  A lot went into the recycle bin.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4916 on: June 12, 2017, 02:31:04 AM »
I got my DH to throw away a broken bicycle tire that was hanging for 2 weeks over a dining table chair. ;-)
Otherwise it is going slowly, also the second hand sales.

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4917 on: June 12, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »
We were camping this past weekend, so when we got home and had everything cleaned up, we went through ALL the camping boxes and consolidated/got rid of a LOT that we haven't used in years. I'm happy we got anything accomplished at all; DH really, really didn't want to deal with it, but I insisted. I'm sick of scrambling to go on a trip, realizing we missed things, and then shoving it all back in boxes when we get home, to "deal with later". I even re-purposed a wooden spoon, tongs, and two oven mitts (all things we were sorely lacking on this trip...) from the kitchen to the camping box. He would have run out to buy new things for camping, but we have four sets of tongs in the kitchen and even more wooden spoons...no need to buy anything, plus it de-clutters the kitchen.

Oh, and he finally moved the 3D printer to the garage and got rid of all the packaging. It's been sitting in our office for months, to my great annoyance. Baby steps...

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4918 on: June 12, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »
I moved a few weeks ago, and that went fairly well. My former roommate moved last week, and as expected didn't manage to quite clear out the old place. We filled up the recycling and trash bins and also had to drag out a couch and exercise machine that she'd accumulated (both trash picked and not used).

However, no longer my problem.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4919 on: June 12, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
Almost gone:
side table (listed, but no interest yet) - I've got a bite! I hope it pans out.

Also found a shirt to put in the donate box and a worn-out sweater in the trash.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

Better Late

• Stubble
« Reply #4920 on: June 12, 2017, 11:51:20 PM »
Shredded old paperwork from an old job-liberating. Also a big file of statements. So excited to have started clearing out the paper clutter hoard.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4921 on: June 14, 2017, 12:58:25 AM »
Still making arrangements with the interested party for the side table, but looks like it will be gone tomorrow. If not, I have a second party now interested.

Photographed the yarn; will try to list it tomorrow at lunch. This could be a challenge on the tablet.

Trying to put away a bulk purchase under the kitchen sink, I spilled water out of a long-unused watering can. Can went in the donate box and many of the other "potions" went in a bag for the has mat place. An annoying accident, but it pushed me to clear out that cabinet. Yay?

Jornal is now here

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4922 on: June 14, 2017, 05:20:53 AM »
I just donated about 100 books to our local library.... good ones, too. I'd read most of them at least once, and the others I never read because they didn't interest me. My partner was alarmed that I donated so many books! He said, "Books are such good things to have." I disagreed... "Books are such good things to have read." He realizes his attachment to keeping things is irrational, so his reaction was amusing to both of us. Tomorrow I attack all the miscellaneous bike stuff.

It feels great to purge and simplify!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:24:03 AM by 2microsNH »

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4923 on: June 14, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
Do you belong to any Facebook Buy/Sell groups? I would post it on there. I gave away an old laptop that way.

I do belong to a couple local FB buy/sell groups.  I've managed to get rid of a couple things that way, but the no-show rate is almost as bad as Craigslist.

"You'd never believe it, on the way to your house my car broke down.  I don't think I'll have a car for a while, so..."
"My uncle/grandparent/cousin just died, and now's not a good time."
"My son sprained his pancreas and I'll be in the hospital with him for a while."
"After talking it over with my spouse/child/landlord, it turns out I'm not going to be able to use that."
"Would you take 1/2 the agreed-upon amount?  No?  Sorry, it's out of my budget."
"I know I said I'd be there on Friday, and again on Saturday, but I was busy.  How about Tuesday?"
"I'll be there in 1/2 hour!" (never shows up, never responds to further PM's)

The good news is I just found out that Best Buy, Staples, and an electronics recycling company not far away will all take my old computer stuff for free - cables and all.  I'm pretty excited about that!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4924 on: June 14, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
With about 10 months until FIRE and a planned move to Europe, I really need to refocus my efforts to get rid of stuff.  The problem is I am waiting for my daughter to graduate, get a job and move out so that she can pick out what she wants of my stuff.  She will be done with school at the end of this week, so the first step is almost complete :-)  Hopefully she will have a job and her own place in the next few months...

In the meantime, I would like to put together another pile of stuff for donation and/or consignment.  So far I have a pair of shoes and an old backpack set aside.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4925 on: June 14, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
I gave away to a rescue group a bunch of hummels and antique glassware. They will sell it for the rescue.  I sold the curio cabinet they were in. There is a new place called Offerup that you can sell things locally. Just like CL it takes time to weed out the people really not interested, ones that don't show up etc but I sold the cabinet in a week so not too bad. Also if something does not sell I lower the price until it does.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4926 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »
Table gone!

Yarn listed!

Progress!

Jornal is now here

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4927 on: June 15, 2017, 04:57:29 AM »
Back in this thread after a long hiatus! I started this thread a few years ago in anticipation of quitting my job to travel and to move interstate. Now I'm here again for the same reason! Apparently there are things that I didn't get rid of the first time around that I'm ready to let go of now. Donated 5 items of clothing today to the local charity shop. Feels great! Going to see what else there is that I can donate or throw away.

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4928 on: June 15, 2017, 05:50:45 AM »
I deleted 7000 emails today *preen* :)

I also sorted out my email properly so that when I delete a message on one device it also deletes it on all my other devices. It's only been about two years on the to do list.

Still have about 1000 to delete and then there's hubby's account.

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4929 on: June 15, 2017, 05:51:45 AM »
Back in this thread after a long hiatus! I started this thread a few years ago in anticipation of quitting my job to travel and to move interstate. Now I'm here again for the same reason! Apparently there are things that I didn't get rid of the first time around that I'm ready to let go of now. Donated 5 items of clothing today to the local charity shop. Feels great! Going to see what else there is that I can donate or throw away.

Welcome back! This thread is your legacy, it will outlive us all ;)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4930 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
i've sold over $200 worth of old books and $40 for my old barstools. i'm going to keep working on downsizing before my move!

i have plants i want to sell, but i'm not sure how to best list them.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4931 on: June 17, 2017, 12:34:11 AM »
For as much interest as the yarn generated, it has been surprisingly difficult to meet up with anyone. Seems like I have a solid commitment for tomorrow, though.

Dropped off the electronics today. Turns out that place also takes CD's, so those are gone too. A two-fer! I still have not got the old hard drives cleaned off, so will be making another trip out there at some point.

Tomorrow will be a big day. Haz mat from under the sink, a library book and some hair (haircut!). Let's see if I can also get the skis and maybe, just maybe, the purse listed.

Jornal is now here

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4932 on: June 17, 2017, 12:39:56 AM »

Seems like it never ends. My aim is to become a minimalist ever so slowly, so I get used to the declining amount of stuff along the way. Hoping that will shut up the little voice in my head that tells me its OK to bring home "just this one thing."

PS - did I forgot to say thanks for this thread? Limeandpepper, thanks for this thread! I am really enjoying it!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:06:32 AM by oneday »

Jornal is now here

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4933 on: June 17, 2017, 05:58:10 AM »
Yesterday I got rid of the GLASS HEAD I've been carrying around with me since a friend gave it to me as an 18th birthday present. Man, was that head heavy.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4934 on: June 17, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
2microsNH, that glass head is a pretty weird item.  I wonder if it's the strangest item anyone on this thread has gotten rid of?

Update time!

Gone:
shaving cream
costume jewelery
old printer
1 shred bin full
electronics
CD's
side table
1 shirt & sweater
haz mat from under the kitchen sink
yarn

Almost gone:
hard drives

Priority to move out next:
stability ball
paper monster
skis
bike
too-fancy knitting purse/handbag

Jornal is now here

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4935 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:35 PM »
I wonder if it's the strangest item anyone on this thread has gotten rid of?
Not the strangest thing to get rid of myself, but I volunteer at a thrift store and found a lovely little wooden box that had been donated.  It rattled - there were baby teeth inside.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4936 on: June 18, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »
Put two of my husband's t-shirts in the charity bag.

I need to sell two pairs of his jeans on eBay.

And I'm going to put together a go-bag for him to keep at work - a change of clothes, toiletries, a towel, phone charger, etc. He travels a lot, and while it's not usually at short notice, he will sometimes head straight to work after an international flight.

While we will still technically own those things, it does get them out of my house.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4937 on: June 18, 2017, 07:14:52 AM »
Yesterday, my DH missed something that I had just given away some weeks ago. All of the sudden he had found a new use for it. Luckily he found a work around, after some thinking, which worked just as well.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4938 on: June 18, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »
Started reading 'The life-changing magic of tidying up' and went on a 2-day (and counting) declutter binge, mostly in the basement.

Recycled two broken dehumidifiers, and discarded several large bags of junk -- mostly styrofoam, plastic bags, bubble wrap, and expired food from the pantry.

Sold a baby gate, kid's table and chairs, and train table on a local FB group.

Donated 4 more boxes to The Goodwill.  Mostly toys, decorations, clothes, and cordless phones.

I won't pretend I can see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, but it still feels amazing to get that much stuff out of our house and lives all in one fell swoop.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4939 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
Great work everyone! The comment about decluttering a box of baby teeth made me smile and remember the armadillo purse (actual hollowed out armadillo) that I personally found being decluttered at someone's garage sale.

My progress at home: 2 big boxes to reuse centre, and cleaned out the closet to be seasonal and finally got rid of another dozen items in there.  At work: we emptied out a very full storage room so it will be ready to be used as an office soon, will be shredding 6 boxes, put a bunch of broken items in the garbage, and have 13 boxes to archive off-site.  Feels so good, I just want to keep getting rid of more.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4940 on: June 19, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
Recycled two broken dehumidifiers, and discarded several large bags of junk -- mostly styrofoam, plastic bags, bubble wrap, and expired food from the pantry.

Sold a baby gate, kid's table and chairs, and train table on a local FB group.

Donated 4 more boxes to The Goodwill.  Mostly toys, decorations, clothes, and cordless phones.

Oops, forgot to mention that my pile of to-be-recycled electronics has grown to include 3 computers, 2 printers, plus 3 more boxes of miscellaneous old wires, cables, adapters, ancient cell phones, etc.  Even a standalone caller ID box that probably belongs in a museum.  :D

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4941 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
Listed:
- Trumpet vases
- Couch & love seat
- Manzanita branches
- Coffee table
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Multiple plate sets
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
FIRE'd on 9/8/2017

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4942 on: June 19, 2017, 09:48:10 AM »
I took down the hideous, ugly, useless, and otherwise I-DO-NOT-WANT-THIS-THING-IN-MY-HOUSE shelving thing that was in the bathroom. Also realized that I couldn't use the microwave in the current house, so it's going away.

Best of all: a family came yesterday and took the swingset from the backyard. They can use it, and I can mow much easier!

And if I can remember, the American flag that was left in the house. I don't fly the flag, because then everyone will get mad at how I'm "disrespecting" it or something. Easier just to not have one.

Waiting for the hazardous waste day in July so I can get rid of the estimated 35-40 cans of paint in the garage.

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4943 on: June 19, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
I had a really productive weekend on the decluttering front! I will give it next weekend too and then schedule another VVA pick-up. I cleared out the following:

-giant bag of clothes from my closet
-partial declutter of bathroom stuff: old makeup, toiletries, etc
-giant bag of old kids clothes, Halloween costumes, bedding from the laundry room. AND re-organized the laundry room, which was super chaotic before.
-cleared off my desk (mostly trash, recycling, shred)
-another pair of shoes my daughter has outgrown
-old sleeping bag that my son has outgrown
-raincoat my son has outgrown
-some toys that my daughter decided are too young for her

I still feel like de-cluttering my house is a never-ending, herculean task. But, I have big plans to do a major home downsize somewhere between 6-13 years. I never, ever again want to be throwing stuff in boxes without actually considering whether I use/need/want to keep all that stuff. I know if I want that to be the case, it needs to be started now and be an ongoing effort.

Oh! I also got my husband to agree that we can get rid of his grandfather's UGLY glasses. They are sitting on a very high shelf in the kitchen, totally out of the way, but I'm jumping on it and those will go soon. Next weekend we'll go through everything on the very high shelves...we never use those things.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4944 on: June 19, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
Welcome back! This thread is your legacy, it will outlive us all ;)

Haha, it would be amazing if this thread just went on forever!

Seems like it never ends. My aim is to become a minimalist ever so slowly, so I get used to the declining amount of stuff along the way. Hoping that will shut up the little voice in my head that tells me its OK to bring home "just this one thing."

PS - did I forgot to say thanks for this thread? Limeandpepper, thanks for this thread! I am really enjoying it!

And I am thankful that you (and so many people) are enjoying this thread, reading about everyone's progress really helps encourage me as well! :)

I think doing it gradually is working for me, too. I actually haven't bought much since my 2014 travels + moving house. I knew it wasn't going to be the last time I moved house, so that was a great reminder not to buy unnecessary stuff. Also my boyfriend and I are looking to buy our first home, and we can only afford a small one bedroom apartment, so more incentive again to keep things simple!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4945 on: June 19, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »
Waiting for the hazardous waste day in July so I can get rid of the estimated 35-40 cans of paint in the garage.

Careful of this. If you want to keep ANY of the paint colors in the house, keep those cans! It is infinitely more accurate and easier to match to paint (even if the can is really low) than to try and get a chunk off the walls. Ask me how I know not to throw out those cans... *kicks past self*
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4946 on: June 19, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
I'm in limbo between big transitions.  I am separating things into categories. 1. Keep forever.  2. Practical, worth storing a year.  3. Practical, not worth storing a year.  4. Use for summer then release.  5. What I need to live for a year.

When the limbo works itself out I know what to do with everything. Until then, I will keep using things and not adding.

Last night I saved a handful of relevant pages and tossed two old notebooks and a small pile of papers.  Getting ready to work my way through school papers from the past two years. 

Tossed a broken keyboard. 

Gathered a pile of books and clothes to take to a friend next week. 

Joining an craft cooperative with a storefront, I've got two boxes of items ready to go there. 

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4947 on: June 19, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
re: Paint cans. What about identifying the matches now, and just keeping the single page paper record of those?
And paint colour changes with exposure to light, so any paint in the can that is still good is probably not going to match the wall colour anyway.  I do save codes for colours I like so I can use them if I am repainting.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4948 on: June 19, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
re: Paint cans. What about identifying the matches now, and just keeping the single page paper record of those?
And paint colour changes with exposure to light, so any paint in the can that is still good is probably not going to match the wall colour anyway.  I do save codes for colours I like so I can use them if I am repainting.

Heh, and alkyds (oil paint) actually changes color when they don't get enough light. They yellow in the dark.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4949 on: June 19, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »

Heh, and alkyds (oil paint) actually changes color when they don't get enough light. They yellow in the dark.

Make a sample board/ piece of drywall. A couple coats of primer first then a couple inch swatch of each color. You can label it with the codes too. If you do this at the same time as you paint it might age at a similar rate.