Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1022191 times)

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4850 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:54 AM »
I love this thread.  Thanks to the OP and all the contributors.

We have way too much unused stuff in our house, and at times the clutter gets oppressive.  Particularly toys that the kids never play with, but also plenty of random junk that my wife and I rarely or never use.  I tend to keep stuff "just in case" it may be useful one day.

Inspired by this thread, yesterday my wife and I agreed to each put at least one item per day in a donation box, and one item in a throw-away box.  We plan to keep doing that until the problem areas (mainly basement, kid's playroom, and attic) are where we want them.

In the past we've periodically gone on a decluttering binge when it reached a breaking point, but we always seem to end up in the same situation again after a year or two.  What have others done to avoid the cycle of accumulate/declutter?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:59:50 AM by Bird In Hand »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4851 on: May 23, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
  What have others done to avoid the cycle of accumulate/declutter?

Just being so so careful about what comes into the house.

Every time I pick something up in a shop (that isn't consumable), I think, 'Do I want this enough to declutter it in 6 months / 1 year / 5 years?'. Online orders sit in the basket for a minimum of 24 hours. I don't accept freebies - race t-shirts, water bottles, mugs etc.

When I do decide to replace something, I really replace it. As in, I don't keep the other thing 'Just in case', I get rid of it.

Every gift is scrutinised (after the giver is appropriately thanked). If I wouldn't pay money for it, I donate it. No-one has ever noticed and, with a family of random gift givers, this has made THE BIGGEST difference.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4852 on: May 23, 2017, 08:12:32 AM »
Somewhere next week I'll borrow the hanger from my work. Then we can ship off a load of old twigs in the garden that are not big enough to burn in the oven. And some of the bigger articles that are lying around. Maybe some of the boxes with videotapes/cassette tapes, if I can convince my DH of that.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4853 on: May 23, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
I finally finished parting out and putting up for sale a few Lego sets from my childhood I was keeping for posterity. They were just sitting in a box in the basement collecting dust. I wish I had done that several years ago. It turns out some of the parts I had were pretty uncommon and I have already sold about $200 worth of parts.

The next ask is taking some furniture I haven't been able to sell out to the curb in 2 weeks.
Less is more.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4854 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
I read Unfuck Your Habitat (from the library) and felt pretty good about my progress decluttering. It had some nice sections about growing up with a hoarder and having negative associations with cleaning based on childhood experiences, and it was nice to read a decluttering book that understood people with chronic pain can't do marathon cleaning sessions. There wasn't anything mindblowingly new; it was just nice to read it and feel recognized. I don't see myself in a lot of the decluttering/cleaning books and blogs out there.

Today I decluttered nearly all flat surfaces, throwing some things away and putting away others. The only clutter on the end table right now is bills I'll be paying on Friday.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4855 on: May 24, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »
Joining the fray!  I gave a jar of lady's shave cream to my aunt about a week ago...does that count for my first item? :)

Today I listed a piece of jewelry on a Facebook group.  Hoping to clear out some of the more special things this way.

+1

In the past we've periodically gone on a decluttering binge when it reached a breaking point, but we always seem to end up in the same situation again after a year or two.  What have others done to avoid the cycle of accumulate/declutter?

Well, I have not found a way to completely avoid the cycle.  Some things I have because I love, then after a time I no longer want them anymore, so away they go.  My best strategy is to keep a "donate" box at all times, so that we can corral those things and clear them out periodically and easily.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4856 on: May 24, 2017, 05:28:00 AM »

I think getting a mustachian mindset will help. Just get used to not buying to much nonsense, because you want to save money and prioritize your pension. But otherwise, regular decluttering is probably the key.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4857 on: May 27, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
Gave away a bed frame and a set of sheets that I don't like.
A place I used to volunteer as an English tutor is now working to resettle immigrants- they are working with a family of 15!  I wish I had MORE beds to give.  But I'm glad to have this out of the storage room

OzStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4858 on: May 28, 2017, 04:15:45 AM »
Another timely thread for me to join, as I pack up an accumulation of ten years stuff from my present house to move to a new place.

Threw out a bunch of stuff, and have a big box to take to the op shop next week.

I'm thinking I'm at least a borderline hoarder 😳

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4859 on: May 28, 2017, 02:16:56 PM »
I decided to get rid of an oak curio cabinet. I donated all the hummels and antique glassware to a dog rescue that sells the stuff to help the rescue and now have the cabinet up for sale. I have been doing this for years and also ask myself before I buy if I will ge giving it away in a few years. I like a few decorations so my home does not feel sterile but not a ton. It also makes it a lot easier to clean.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4860 on: May 28, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Just confirmed plans to meet someone to give a piece of costume jewelry on Tuesday. 

Also listed an old computer for free; hope to get some bites soon.

Alas, nothing has actually left the house, but hopefully soon.
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4861 on: May 28, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
I bought a totally frivolous ring today. Normally at the festival I was at, I would have also bought some kind of clothing, some kind of useless trinkets, and probably a weapon of some sort.

I went in wanting a ring, and that's all I got. It's not decluttering, but it was actively *not* adding clutter, so I'm happy.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4862 on: May 28, 2017, 05:00:14 PM »

It is tough to avoid the cycle, unless you establish a few house rules: One item in - one item out. Keep a box or bag handy to go to donation. Huge one for me -  limit the number of bookcases, no hoarding of magazines - exception, max of 12 garden mags:) for me and 12 Nat Geo for him:)
Going through closets and drawers has become routine and even the kitchen drawers get a regular dump, wipe, re-line and organize. Same with the pantry, one big deep shelf at a time - check dates, rotate or toss or donate.
Gifts are either re-gifted, donated or used - no more stashes or storage of things I really don't care for.

My biggest problem - never ending paper clutter. I have made great strides in the past year and we both got rid of and shredded a ton of papers. Still the paper tiger has me by the tail - can't seem to make it through the last six boxes.

...and yup, I'm back on a de-cluttering binge, thinking of throwing up a 30 to 60 day challenge for 2017 - to keep me motivated and tackle some long overdue projects.

Last project was the inventory and re-organization of extra food storage, water and hurricane emergency supplies. So happy I'm done with that - thrashed some, donated some, now I need to replenish a few things, next time they are on sale to take advantage of bulk savings.

So far in 2017 - cleaned my side of the closet, bedroom shelves and cabinets and most of his - his five! T-shirt drawers are next on the list.
Finished inventory and de-cluttering, re-organizing of food storage - yay:) Trash-donation - done!
Cleaned out both fridge/freezers. Trash - done!
Cleared out one big bookcase and one huge shelf in the shed cum studio - donated, yay!
Cleaned up and re-organized carport and front porch.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4863 on: May 28, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »
...and yup, I'm back on a de-cluttering binge, thinking of throwing up a 30 to 60 day challenge for 2017 - to keep me motivated and tackle some long overdue projects.

If you do, will you please post a link here?  I found last year's 90-day challenge thread super-helpful for my own paper tiger.  Still fighting the good fight...

alewpanda

• Stubble
« Reply #4864 on: May 29, 2017, 12:12:57 AM »
Joining the party.  Hoping to list our house and seriously downsize/move cross country in the spring, so downsizing everything we can!

In the last couple weeks I've sold the following on facebook sites:

2 3 foot christmas trees
board game
glass pitcher
extra bike lock
decor items
jacket

On ebay:

3 books
several homemade decor pieces

Rummage sale:

baskets, baskets, baskets!
extra pots and planting supplies
board games
books
clothing
unused exercise equipment
chalkboard

Now sellling:

20 books listed on ebay
canning supplies on local buy and sell site
bike rack
more handmade supplies and crafting supplies
frame
chair
dvds

And there is more to come!

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #4865 on: May 29, 2017, 02:52:47 AM »
We have an elephant in the corner in the form of a couple of shelves of stock that was left over when my husband closed his (never profitable) online retail business a few years ago. A few pieces have trickled out to friends, but otherwise it's just been sitting there as if it had suddenly become completely worthless when the shop closed. From time to time I've muttered "eBay" at him, but last week for the first time I said, "If you bring me a selection of your old shop stock now, I'll list it on eBay."

Since we're aiming to cut our losses and to get these perfectly good things out of storage so that they can be used for what they were intended, I've priced it to go, and it's going. I've checked out whether there are any tax or legal implications since the stock was originally purchased wholesale. I won't be able to sell it all straight away because my tolerance for wrapping parcels is limited, but three or four flurries of listing over the next year should be sufficient. I'll put aside what we make from the sales after paying associated costs, allow a "jam today" percentage for spending on something specific that we're going to need when we're both working little enough to go off bike touring, and invest the rest so that it doesn't just melt into the household.

I thought about listing some clothes that I never wear, but I looked at how much even very good frocks and jackets and women's sports kit in my size sell for in eBay auctions (nothing, mostly) and decided it would be less effort, and less cheap of me, to offer them free to friends and to donate any that remain to a charity shop. Having made that decision, it's given me the impetus to get on with filling a bag. Wardrobe space beckons! Must. Not. Fill. It.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4866 on: May 29, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »
Why not use the ebay service where they list it all for you? They take a big cut- but at least it will all be gone.

I've taken my first stab of listing on ebay, but I'm pretty concerned it will cost me more to ship than what I'm making :( Ebay's shipping calculator doesn't seem to take into account the cost of shipping supplies.  I will need to buy envelopes. If I use boxes it will cost way more than what was calculated.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4867 on: May 29, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Thrift store coat from 15 years ago is finally out. I still "like" it but never ever wear it. Stuff like this weighs me down.

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #4868 on: May 29, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
Why not use the ebay service where they list it all for you? They take a big cut- but at least it will all be gone.

We considered it, but the stuff is relatively straightforward to photograph and list and we've already got all the packing materials so it's worth the small inconvenience of doing the work ourselves to save a dealer taking a cut. Besides (shhh, don't tell anyone) I quite enjoy selling on eBay for short bursts of time. When I get bored, I'll stop putting up new listings and take a break for a few months.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4869 on: May 29, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
@alewpanda - I am impressed that you know how/where you got rid of each of those things!

I've taken my first stab of listing on ebay, but I'm pretty concerned it will cost me more to ship than what I'm making :( Ebay's shipping calculator doesn't seem to take into account the cost of shipping supplies.  I will need to buy envelopes. If I use boxes it will cost way more than what was calculated.

Correct, eBay only calculates the postage costs, not supplies.  Can you scavenge/recycle shipping supplies from friends, neighbors, the workplace or Cragslist? 

When I was selling hardback textbooks, I would wrap in bubble wrap, then those brown paper bags one gets at at the grocery store.  Other paper shopping bags can also work.  Paperback books would get sandwiched between layers of cardboard, then bubble wrap, then the paper.

Same protection as a padded envelope, but the wrapping paper was free.  Bubble wrap usually came from an prior incoming package.  The only cost then was tape.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4870 on: May 29, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
Over the past week or so we filled a very large box with little-used toys to donate.  Of course once the kids discovered this, suddenly they claimed we're cruelly getting rid of their favorite things.  Too bad, suckers -- you should have played with it when you had the chance!  :D

I also gave away two old window A/C units to a neighbor today, and I'm waiting for someone else to pick up a third.  This was hard for me because it's the kind of high-value ($$) thing I can easily convince myself I'll make use of one day...despite the fact I haven't used them in years.  But I'm already enjoying the empty space in the basement and attic where these were idly sitting, collecting dust and cobwebs.

Finally, I dug up a pile of ~30 old college textbooks and started trying to assess the value.  As expected, most were worthless.  But around 10 had values ranging from $10-$40.  So I need to figure out whether it's worth it to try selling some or all on half.com, etc.  My local library won't take them until the next book sale in ~6 months.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4871 on: May 30, 2017, 02:39:34 AM »
Finally, I dug up a pile of ~30 old college textbooks and started trying to assess the value.  As expected, most were worthless.  But around 10 had values ranging from $10-$40.  So I need to figure out whether it's worth it to try selling some or all on half.com, etc.  My local library won't take them until the next book sale in ~6 months.

I recycled a bunch of old text books from college earlier in the year. I don't know what I was thinking when I was in college. With the exception of a few books, I should have sold those suckers back to the bookstore the second the semester was over. Everything I had was about 14 years old and worthless.
Less is more.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4872 on: May 30, 2017, 05:35:31 AM »
Regarding textbooks.

Bookfinder will give you quotes from multiple buyers. I usually use Amazon or chegg. Maybe less money than selling on my own but much less hassle as well.

https://www.bookfinder.com/buyback/

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #4873 on: May 30, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
I'll credit my son who is home from college and doesn't start his summer job until Wednesday.  He started researching Lego selling, then searching through all the storage bins we have.  My wife never wants to throw out anything, saying that she'll bring things to the local consignment shop (who won't accept anything that isn't near near new, complete and in the original box).  Anyways, I started helping him and we're getting a bit of bulk out (very little) by separating out legos, mega blocks, duplo and brio stuff.  He's been putting up lego figures with accessories (the right head, the right hat, the right blaster, the right light sabre) and making some good money.  We have literally hundreds of pounds of legos from back in the 90's to near new.  His plan is to sell the high value, light weight stuff and then work down to selling just pounds of red blocks, blue blocks, white blocks etc.  While going through, I am finding the baby toys and broken things that really need to get thrown out (our youngest is 16) and sneak small quantities into our recycling bin or into the trash.  It's going to be a long process but hopefully we can start going in the direction of reducing all the crap in the house.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4874 on: May 30, 2017, 07:20:01 AM »
I recycled a bunch of old text books from college earlier in the year. I don't know what I was thinking when I was in college. With the exception of a few books, I should have sold those suckers back to the bookstore the second the semester was over. Everything I had was about 14 years old and worthless.

I am in the same position. As a student I didn't ever have a thought about selling my books, or buying anything second hand. Although at high school, we had a book foundation where everybody rented well-used school books. This was organized by the school. But at higher education this was not an option.

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4875 on: May 30, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »

Exactly!  I fall into the trap of "I might need this someday".  Even if I'm right 10% of the time (which I'm probably not), it's still not worth it to have the remaining 90% junk filling up my house meanwhile.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4876 on: May 30, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »
Just confirmed plans to meet someone to give a piece of costume jewelry on Tuesday. 

Alas, nothing has actually left the house, but hopefully soon.

Yay, the jewelry is gone!  Went to a very nice lady.

Also, the shred bin is so full that I can't shred the last 2 pages without emptying.  Not gonna do it tonight, it's too late.  But that's another bin out the door tomorrow!

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4877 on: May 31, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
We had a really productive long weekend! First, we got rid of a trailer that my husband had since 2007 and used maybe three times? My boss's husband has wanted one for awhile, so they finally came and picked it up Friday after work. In addition, I went through and emptied three boxes of old stuff from the garage. My husband finally took two engineering text books to be shipped to Bookfinder ($60 each). I also did a lot of shredding and nearly filled the recycling can again. There's still a lot left, but it was good progress.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4878 on: May 31, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
Box of maternity clothes to goodwill yesterday.  Need to get the rest soon, but I wasn't able to sort them all before the baby woke up.

Also Tuesday at noon Goodwill is hopping. Every parking space was taken!  No one else was dropping off though, so that was quick.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4879 on: June 01, 2017, 01:37:40 AM »
I reserved the hanger at work for somewhere next week. They we'll get rid of a pile of ugly branches that have been laying in our garden under a sheet, put there by the previous owner. We have been too kind to him to leave his shit alone, but we wanted to get as much free wood as we could and there we some substantial trunks under that sheet in the beginning.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4880 on: June 01, 2017, 04:56:37 AM »
I have three big boxes of photographs that I need to scan/digitize.  I just can't seem to make a start on those.  Debating whether to train the kids in how to do it this summer (and pay them extra allowance) or else wait until the winter and do it myself.  We have a small farm, so I work outside when the weather is good.  Easier to find time for a task like this in the dark of winter . . .  How's that for procrastination, lol?

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4881 on: June 01, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
Listed:
- Trumpet vases
- Couch & love seat
- Console table
- Manzanita branches
- Set of spare tires/wheels for 07-15 Civic
- Small weed whacker
- Jug of radiator fluid

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Coffee table
- Multiple plate sets
- TSX/Accord calipers, rotors, brake pads
- Random OEM 07-11 Civic parts
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Captain FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #4882 on: June 01, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »
Finishing up the grand kitchen declutter, I finally found the box of steak knives lost years ago!  Had fallen behind the recipe books (which are now neatly reorganized and many loose ones I'd never make thrown away).  Found out my husband recently suggested to my folks this as a present idea (if not channeled, we get a lot of nice, but not useful items), so we took that off the list.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:49:21 AM by Captain FIRE »

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4883 on: June 02, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »
Listed:
- Trumpet vases
- Couch & love seat
- Manzanita branches
- Set of spare tires/wheels for 07-15 Civic
- Small weed whacker
- Jug of radiator fluid
- Coffee table

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Multiple plate sets
- TSX/Accord calipers, rotors, brake pads
- Random OEM 07-11 Civic parts
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- 2007 Honda Civic Si
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console table
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4884 on: June 03, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
We had a huge, brand new Charbroil grill out on the patio...9 years ago.  For the past 5 years or so it's merely been a slowly rusting eyesore and home to hornets and mice.

Today I took it apart and brought it to the town dump, along with an outgrown scooter and bike, plus another bicycle that I ran over and mangled with the car a couple years ago (no kid was on it at the time!).  Although it didn't help declutter the house, the patio and shed are looking much better.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4885 on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »
Decided to get rid of a stereo that my husband won at work .... 23 years ago! The CD player and cassette player haven't worked for at least 15 years and the volume knob is messed up so you have to turn it reallllly slowly to change the volume when listening to the radio. Finally parting with it!

Bird In Hand

• Stubble
« Reply #4886 on: June 04, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
Decided to get rid of a stereo that my husband won at work .... 23 years ago! The CD player and cassette player haven't worked for at least 15 years and the volume knob is messed up so you have to turn it reallllly slowly to change the volume when listening to the radio. Finally parting with it!

Wow, this is bizarre: I also won a stereo (at school) 23 years ago this month.  The CD player has been broken for a long time, but AFAIK the cassette player still works.  Anyway, it's been sitting on my floor near a pile of other things to get rid of, and I've been debating whether to junk it.  What a crazy coincidence!

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4887 on: June 04, 2017, 10:24:36 PM »

Yay, the jewelry is gone!  Went to a very nice lady.

Also, the shred bin [will be emptied] tomorrow!

The computer didn't go, so I dragged it to my car (redacted) so it's ready to go to the recycler.  Also have 3 old cell phones and 2 old hard drives to go, so won't actually make the trip until all those are ready.  Hmm, I should bring the cell phonesto the car...they were factory reset already.  Need to make those hard drives a priority so I can actually get the items out of my possession, not just out of the house.

Listed a printer & the table it has been sitting on.

Also copied a bunch of old CD's to the hard drive.  They will all go to the recycler this week, but I need to find shipping supplies.

Also need to talk to Mr. O about the stability ball.  It's been shoved in the corner for years; I think it's gotta go.  Last time we talked he was opposed, but now that it's sat there for (how much more) longer, maybe he has changed his mind.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:47:49 AM by oneday »

Rimu05

• Stubble
« Reply #4888 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »
Salvation army usually takes and will pick up furniture that you are not using. I had them pick up my stuff in storage from when I moved out.

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #4889 on: June 05, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
Nearly a year ago, I decided to get rid of 1000 items. I hit  that goal and decided to up it to 1500 by the one year mark. Now I'm at 1545 and I don't know how I'm going to do it, but new goal is 2000 by June 27! i love how clean and neat everything feels in my house.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4890 on: June 05, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »

If you do, will you please post a link here?  I found last year's 90-day challenge thread super-helpful for my own paper tiger.  Still fighting the good fight...

@oneday - the challenge is on and up:)

mara

• Stubble
  • Age of enlightenment
« Reply #4891 on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
Nearly a year ago, I decided to get rid of 1000 items. I hit  that goal and decided to up it to 1500 by the one year mark. Now I'm at 1545 and I don't know how I'm going to do it, but new goal is 2000 by June 27! i love how clean and neat everything feels in my house.

I am so impressed! I've already gotten rid of a huge amount of stuff, but the house is still quite cluttered. This needs rethinking.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4892 on: June 05, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »

Very nice, well done.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4893 on: June 06, 2017, 12:51:47 AM »

Wow, this is bizarre: I also won a stereo (at school) 23 years ago this month.  The CD player has been broken for a long time, but AFAIK the cassette player still works.  Anyway, it's been sitting on my floor near a pile of other things to get rid of, and I've been debating whether to junk it.  What a crazy coincidence!

Wow! That is crazy! I feel happy that I let it go, although I had a moment of doubt just because of the somewhat sentimental nature of winning it. We just don't need it and its huge and ugly. Glad its gone. Go for it! Release it! hahahaha!

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4894 on: June 06, 2017, 04:46:51 AM »
I had some cassette tapes I played into my computer and made sound files out of.  So the player and tapes are now gone.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4895 on: June 06, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »
I just loaded a borrowed hanger full of old branches that have been left under a sheet in our garden by the previous owner. Will be disposed of tomorrow morning before work.

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4896 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »
Rosy, thanks!

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #4897 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »
The printer was snapped up, but the table is languishing.  Need to ask Mr. O where the shipping supplies are so those CD's can go bye-bye.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #4898 on: June 07, 2017, 07:14:19 AM »
We rented 2 tables at the local flea market last weekend ( $14) and brought all kinds of stuff to sell-- ice skates, brass fittings, books, candlesticks, dishes, some antiques, framed art we don't hang etc-- and netted $350 in a couple of enjoyable hours.  Gave away our skis/boots/poles.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4899 on: June 07, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
We rented 2 tables at the local flea market last weekend ( $14) and brought all kinds of stuff to sell-- ice skates, brass fittings, books, candlesticks, dishes, some antiques, framed art we don't hang etc-- and netted $350 in a couple of enjoyable hours.  Gave away our skis/boots/poles.

!!! We might need to do something similar!!! My wife likes flea markets anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to have a go at it to get rid of some of our stuff.
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017