Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1022192 times)

tomita

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4750 on: April 22, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
Sold and shipped a couple (small) car parts this week.

Car is also posted, but no bites.  Might be priced too high.

Now, I only have about 500 more items to sort through and sell.

HI
may I ask how do you sell car parts, my DH has some new parts from the prior car he bought them before he gave up fixing that car.
Thanks

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4751 on: April 23, 2017, 03:19:29 AM »
Tomorrow someone is picking up our broken stereo that I mentioned a while ago (it was living under our spare bed. Pretty happy about that.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4752 on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
Took two sweaters to goodwill. A huge accomplishment, as these were hand knit, by me. Very tough to part with.

Also got rid of all my jewelry from college formals. I don't wear fake diamonds and pearls anymore. People from buy nothing will be coming to get them.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4753 on: April 23, 2017, 07:05:10 AM »
Tonight someone will come to take a look at my racing bike that is for sale.

Yesterday I received some usefull tips about a hobby if mine that will allow me to reduce some material that isn't needed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:06:07 AM by Linda_Norway »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4754 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »

HI
may I ask how do you sell car parts, my DH has some new parts from the prior car he bought them before he gave up fixing that car.
Thanks

Not the OP but we have sold car parts very successfully on ebay. We drove a car into the ground and were offered 80 for it for scrap. We sold everything - wheels, wing mirrors, door handles, spoilers, bumpers, seats on ebay. It was a lot of work but we made about 500! And then we still sold it to the scrap yard for 50 (although we did have to borrow a trailer to get it there, since, you know, no wheels... or steering wheel for that matter!).

I got rid of all my ski socks. I have never liked the brand, and since we are not going skiing next year I decided to stop storing things I don't like, and to buy myself new ones when next we go.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4755 on: April 24, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »
Finally got my act together and posted stuff on Ebay and craigslist. One item has sold, gotta take it to the post office at lunch to send it off. The rest is packaged, ready to go, just pending a sale.

Also started packing up for the move. Mostly disposed of a bunch of dust. Then, I wanted to watch a movie but decided to sort paper at the same time. File box is much lighter now, and I shredded/recycled about 5 inches of paper. Recycle bin is completely full.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #4756 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Finally got my act together and posted stuff on Ebay and craigslist. One item has sold, gotta take it to the post office at lunch to send it off. The rest is packaged, ready to go, just pending a sale.

Also started packing up for the move. Mostly disposed of a bunch of dust. Then, I wanted to watch a movie but decided to sort paper at the same time. File box is much lighter now, and I shredded/recycled about 5 inches of paper. Recycle bin is completely full.

If you plan on selling more stuff on eBay, get a scale so you can ship stuff from home.  The rates are cheaper and it saves you a trip to the PO.  Makes the hurdle of selling on eBay that much lower.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4757 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »
Tonight someone will come to take a look at my racing bike that is for sale.

One bicycle sold. One left for sale...

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4758 on: April 24, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
Sold and shipped a couple (small) car parts this week.

Car is also posted, but no bites.  Might be priced too high.

Now, I only have about 500 more items to sort through and sell.

HI
Thanks

I do a couple things in the following priority:
- Craigslist
- Car forums (many of the ones I use aren't as active anymore but can still get some interest)
- eBay

For Craigstlist you have to require cash-only and meet up in some kind of public place (I usually go for some kind of store parking lot on a busy street).

Forums and eBay will require a paypal account (they take a 3% fee).  You'll also have to keep in mind the cost of shipping.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:45:47 PM by sw1tch »
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4759 on: April 24, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Went through our clothes, put two pairs of jeans, a shirt and a coat in a bag for charity.

Decluttered my spice rack. A few years ago someone gave me a starter pack of spices. Some had never been used and likely won't be, so out they went.

Now all my spice jars fit in my Anzac biscuit tin.

(A timely reference. Lest we forget.)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4760 on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »
I loaded a box of books to sell to the used bookstore, but I was so tired after work, I came straight home. Hopefully I'll get rid of it before the end of the week!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4761 on: April 25, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »

If you plan on selling more stuff on eBay, get a scale so you can ship stuff from home.  The rates are cheaper and it saves you a trip to the PO.  Makes the hurdle of selling on eBay that much lower.

I've considered it, but am an infrequent ebay seller. There's a post office a block from my office so it isn't too bad. If I keep doing this though, I might change my mind.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4762 on: April 30, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
With the baby at home, taking on only tiny projects right now...
I reorganized the kitchen junk drawer, threw out just a few things.

Today I did my underwear drawer. I threw out a ton of underwear and 4 bras. I literally had a row of underwear for "emergencies". Underwear that doesn't fit me and I dislike, but was still in like new condition. Ugh. It's underwear I hate and haven't worn in 4 years or so...  It is now in the trash...

The bras were just in poor condition. And all at least 10 years old. I've only worn sports bras for the past 3 years anyway. I kept 1 regular bra that I wear when necessary.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4763 on: May 01, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »
Finished up two more bottles of soap. I swear, they breed in the cupboard. I had thought I had cleaned them out of the guest bathroom and when I cleaned the medicine cabinet last night, I found four bottles of soap along with other random things hiding in the back. Pretty sure I should've kept them there in the past but I just can't understand why. Anyways glad they are getting used up now.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4764 on: May 01, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply : sw1tch  & theadvicist

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4765 on: May 02, 2017, 05:13:00 AM »
Got rid of some old textbooks. Brought some history books permanently to work as that's where I refer to them most often.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4766 on: May 02, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
Gave away an old pack and play we won't be using anymore. One more thing out the door (soon, pending PU now)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4767 on: May 02, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
Yesterday someone knocked over and broke my daily use ceramic to-go tea cup. My first thought was "well that's one less thing to make a decision about."

In 17 weeks (or so) we move abroad for a year.  For most of the time between now and then I will be living part time here and working full time 3.5 hours away.

Already fairly minimalist. Not much I don't use regularly, so not much I can pack early, but working my way through all my possessions again. Quite a few things, like baking pans, that I will use all summer but give to goodwill.  No sense storing them. Do want to keep my cast iron skillet though.

As for that beloved tea cup, thankfully it's spring now, I can be happy only having hot tea at home. Will carry cold tea with me in an old glass kombucha bottle which can be recycled on the way to the airport.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4768 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »
After lowering the price of my car, I finally have some interest.  I hope I can round out the week and have it sold!

Other than that, my aim is to list one item per day on Craigslist until most everything is listed and hopefully gone.  I hope we can really get our items sold between now and next month. We're also going to have a garage sale in a couple weeks to try to get those items gone.

It's getting pretty exciting around here!
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4769 on: May 02, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
I removed a frozen head and bones from a cod from the freezer that FIL had put there without our knowledge. Probably because he usually keeps this to make fish stock. We have tried this a number of times before and found out it is a LOT of work for something withoyt much taste. So this time we didn't want to bother. Now we have space again the the full freezer drawer.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4770 on: May 02, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
Gave away a bunch of maternity wear and toddler clothes. Now need to fold the remaining ones neatly

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4771 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »

For Craigstlist you have to require cash-only and meet up in some kind of public place (I usually go for some kind of store parking lot on a busy street).

Forums and eBay will require a paypal account (they take a 3% fee).  You'll also have to keep in mind the cost of shipping.

We did that with Craigslist early on, but I stopped the meetup elsewhere thing for the most part. What is coming to my front porch going to risk? Let you see that my cars aren't worth much and you're picking up $15-$20 in baby gear?  Going somewhere just wastes my time.

Actually, the last few have been "Okay, (baby gear) is on the porch in a cardboard box, just leave the $15 in the box" - no issues.

If a buyer wants to meet somewhere public, we'll walk to the local park.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4772 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »

We did that with Craigslist early on, but I stopped the meetup elsewhere thing for the most part. What is coming to my front porch going to risk? Let you see that my cars aren't worth much and you're picking up $15-$20 in baby gear?  Going somewhere just wastes my time.

Actually, the last few have been "Okay, (baby gear) is on the porch in a cardboard box, just leave the $15 in the box" - no issues.

We buy and sell stuff on something like Graigslist, Norwegian variant. We just let people come to our house and we can collect at their house. But in the advertisement I only write the nearest town. They get the actual address when they are the ones that are going to buy. This works fine.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4773 on: May 03, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »

We buy and sell stuff on something like Graigslist, Norwegian variant. We just let people come to our house and we can collect at their house. But in the advertisement I only write the nearest town. They get the actual address when they are the ones that are going to buy. This works fine.

Yes, Craigslist has a map option when you post the listing. I just put in the nearest major intersection, maybe half a kilometer from the house.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4774 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:37 AM »

I guess I'm only about a block from a Walmart Neighborhood market so never really thought about that.  There are some things, such as furniture, that people need to come by the house for anyway.  As we get rid of even more things, I guess it makes more sense to not really worry about theft as we don't/won't have much worth stealing anyhow.
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4775 on: May 03, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »

I guess I'm only about a block from a Walmart Neighborhood market so never really thought about that.  There are some things, such as furniture, that people need to come by the house for anyway.  As we get rid of even more things, I guess it makes more sense to not really worry about theft as we don't/won't have much worth stealing anyhow.

As a woman living alone, I'm a bit concerned about strangers coming to my house.  We had at least one recent Craigslist transaction in our state that went terribly wrong.   I prefer meeting my buyers in a well lit and busy public space.  I use the parking lot of a local Target store which very close to my house.  Having said that, I tend to go with my gut and if I'm comfortable with someone based on the communications about the item in question, I will let them come to the house (e.g. a phone call about an item from a pleasant young woman who sounded polite, introduced herself and asked if she could have a look at it).

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4776 on: May 03, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
Bringing another batch of clothes to consignment today.  I'm also trying to put together stuff for donation but so far I only have a couple of items.  Need to go through closets and cabinets again...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4777 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »
Giving a few things away on our Buy Nothing Group on FB.  I also donated a lot of clothes last weekend.  I'm hoping to purge another bunch this weekend.  Woohoo!

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4778 on: May 03, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
I got rid of a handful of things through the Buy Nothing Group last weekend, all stuff the kids don't play with anymore. I also went through my daughter's shoes (I think we pulled out 4 outgrown pairs, and bought one new pair yesterday to replace them), and filled the recycling with more papers from when I went to college and a bunch of kid art papers. I have been putting all of their paper stuff in a cupboard and then go through it periodically when the kids aren't around, because otherwise my daughter wants to save everything. I hand pick the "best" kid art and then get rid of the rest.

I have made a lot of progress lately but I still have so far to go that it's easy to get disheartened. Well, I'll keep plodding along on the downsizing. I really want to go through all of the cupboards, drawers, boxes, etc and only keep what we REALLY need/want, but damn, it's hard in a house of five when no one else is interested in getting rid of stuff!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4779 on: May 03, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
I have thown away more food, something I hardly ever do. Three portions of froozen leftovers. Two of them two years over the original storage date. One portion without any date at all, but probably old as well, who would know...

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4780 on: May 03, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
So, for the parents out there, an idea. Looking back, I think my mom did this with us.

Go through stuff, make a list, box it up, and put it in the closet. Kid may or may not be aware of this, use judgement. Then, 6 months later or whatever seems appropriate, if it hasn't been missed you can just get rid of it.

My mom would drop of boxes of stuff at Salvation Army when I was a kid, and in retrospect I suspect they were outgrown toys and clothes that we might have had a fit over.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4781 on: May 03, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
I must have posted early on in this thread as it is in my followed list.  I'm ready now to do a major purge.  This is the summer of the purge.

I live in an older Class A motor home.  I also have a 10' x 20' storage unit.  I am in the same town as my storage unit now for the summer, and I need to make a huge dent in the amount of stuff I have.  I am now settled finally in a living situation that I feel I'll occupy for a long time, the Class A.  I'm ok having a storage unit somewhere as well, but not that large of one, so stuffed that I don't even know where the things I would actually use might be located.

Paper is a major issue, many bankers boxes of files that I think I filled when I moved about 10 years ago.  I'm working my way back to them, as I'm going through and shredding the smaller boxes and bags of papers I accumulated since then.  I've been making progress on this, as well as keeping up with the incoming papers, for the past month.  This morning I shredded or tossed several folders of stuff.

I also have a bunch of stuff to use up.  Large sizes of cleaning products, multiples of things like soap and shampoo.  I've been using these up for the past year, since I moved into the first motor home (I moved from a smaller Class C that was 30 yo to a larger Class A that is 20 yo).  It is a work in progress.

I've been reading this thread almost every day.  It has help when I'm uninspired.  I know that along with issues of health and debt, my greatest regret in my life so far is how I've lugged just so much stuff around with me.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4782 on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »
Backpack (for backpacking) that sat in the basement for the last 13 years was donated to the universe last weekend. Unfortunately, the Universe did not want the old skis that I tried to donate also.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4783 on: May 03, 2017, 04:48:58 PM »
Apart from identity documents and similar things, you could scan your papers and shred the originals. It's time consuming tho and I haven't done it myself. The approach I've taken is to register to get all bills etc electronically, then dispose of any I need to keep for tax after 7 yrs. In 7 yrs I'll have v little paper.

I like "The Summer of the Purge".

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4784 on: May 03, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
jooniflorisploo: I haven't tried the payment approach with the kids yet, but I'll consider it if it comes to that. Two of the kids are perfectly willing to let go of things they don't use anymore, and the third is making progress. She definitely doesn't have the "remembers everything" trait that yours does (and I do too), so I often do what Sibley recommended: boxing things up and removing them first to the garage and then for good, and not once has anyone missed anything.

The biggest hurdle is that no one else is willing to help with any of it. So, I have a family of five and a big house full of all the crap trappings of "standard suburbia", and I'm trying to tackle it alone, with a full-time job. It is SLOW going. My husband is also one of those "save in case we need it someday" types, although he's coming around with FIRE becoming a goal, and downsizing is a big part of our plan. Fortunately I have you all for motivation and support!

albireo13

• Bristles
« Reply #4785 on: May 03, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »
Our local Goodwill gives receipts that are signed but, otherwise blank.
Motivation for tax deductions!   : )

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4786 on: May 04, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
I went through 3 folders of papers from a job I left in 2009.  The initial paperwork and such was a large part of it.  I'm maybe 1/3 through the container of papers labeled with that companies name.  I did that in an organizing effort a few years ago.  I worked as a contractor to the US military, so I felt that I needed to keep the documents for...  awhile.  Not any more.  I shredded most of it so far, threw away the insurance company brochures.

Most of what needed to be scanned has been scanned.  These papers left are not things that I need to scan.  They just need to be gone.  However, most of it needs to be shredded as it has information that shouldn't get out of my control.  So I think.  I have a heavy duty paper shredder.  I've been doing this for awhile now.

I also attempted to guilt trip my best friend into declaring it 'our' summer of purge.  She laughed.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4787 on: May 04, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
Daughter's boyfriend is getting a cat and asked if I had any spare "cat things".  I sure do!  He is picking up a litter box, a pet bed, a scratcher and a couple of small toys from me today :-)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4788 on: May 04, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Gave away a backpack to a student. :)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4789 on: May 04, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
Scanned and went through paper collected over a month. Most of it is shredded now and the rest filed away. Used up some food before it expired. Sadly had to throw some fruit since it went bad before I could get to it.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4790 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
*snip*
Most of what needed to be scanned has been scanned.  These papers left are not things that I need to scan.  They just need to be gone.  However, most of it needs to be shredded as it has information that shouldn't get out of my control.  So I think.  I have a heavy duty paper shredder.  I've been doing this for awhile now.
*snip*

In my area, there is a senior identity theft prevention effort that has been going for a while where the local towns encourage seniors to bring old documents to be shredded for free.  If you have anything similar locally, you might be able to get a huge quantity shredded at once for free or cheaply.  Alternatively, maybe burn them?
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4791 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Check your bank as well. Mine offers free shredding once a week at one of their branches.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4792 on: May 05, 2017, 03:52:25 AM »
I have a turkey pan in my kitchen cupboard, while I have never cooked a whole turkey. I had plans to clear it out. Now my colleague said she wouldn't mind getting it. I just asked if she also wanted to receive my almost unused plush moose (big children's play thing) and she wants that as well for her youngest child. That will clear out nicely and I don't have to throw away thing that others can use.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4793 on: May 05, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
Regarding the bulk shredders, see my comment about 'control'.  I have a nice shredder, and I have it where it is easy to get to now.  It is the going through the papers, not the shredding that takes time for me.  I have shredded the papers and receipts from my move the WA back in early 2009 before coffee this morning.  Gee, the money I spent on that move, most of it reimbursed.  Gots to get rid of stuff.  I'm tired of driving moving trucks across the country.  I moved my stuff multiple times (in 24' moving trucks) and Mom's a couple of times.  Summer of the Purge!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4794 on: May 05, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
Car is SOLD.  Of course I still need to collect payment but buyer is coming to pick it up (and pay) tomorrow.

Now onto listing an item a day.  I've been lazy and anxious while trying to sell the car and fielding inquiries about it.  I will go into rapid-fire mode over the weekend now that the car will be gone.  Also, the nice weather is definitely helping with motivation.

Next up:
- Gas lawn mower
- Manual push mower
- More car parts...
<|>

Fired on 9/8/2017

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4795 on: May 06, 2017, 08:01:14 AM »
I returned a borrowed book yesterday and will return another today. I've got a few more to go through, but one of them is Anna Kerenina, so that may take a while. :p

FireHiker

• Bristles
« Reply #4796 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
Wow, what a productive weekend!

My mom was down Saturday (we have a complicated relationship, so this is always stressful), and she took a bunch of stuff she wants to sell on ebay that I was just going to donate, so that was a good start.

Then, yesterday, it rained ALL day. My youngest, who is usually the one that doesn't want to get rid of anything, decided she was done playing with the "little people" toys, and we boxed them ALL up and gave them to our neighbor with a younger daughter. Then she really got on a roll and we went through all of her clothes, a bunch of stuffed animals, etc. She goes to kindergarten in the fall and has been very motivated lately to be a "big girl" so I finally had her buy in, without any prodding even. It was shocking. I didn't expect her to be the one pushing to go through and clear stuff out, but I took it and ran with it! We also cleared out a small rocking chair and trampoline that she previously didn't want to let go of, so that was big.

I went through a random box of my old "stuff" too, and now have a huge pile of stuff for VVA to pick up Friday!

We still have TOO.MUCH.STUFF...but a little less than we did before!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4797 on: May 08, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
I agreed to transport some art for a friend.  Never again!  It has taken weeks for the stranger on the other end of the deal to bother to pick it up. I had to move it just to get into my clothing shelf and my sewing shelf. So happy to have it gone!

Melted some crystallized honey today so I can use it up and finished up several small sewing projects over the weekend.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4798 on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:18 AM »
Yesterday I noticed that one of the grocery stores in my town has a gotten a bookshelf for book-exchange. This is a place where I can dump my excess books.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4799 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »
Three bags of stuff to donation, and three pieces of furniture promised to a friend.  It is a start.  I'm taking some personal items of a friend's up to her on a trip I'm taking in my class a motor home.  She was a snowbird and can no longer come down and live on her own.  It was the start of clearing out her mobile home down here.  She is not happy.  She is 91 and I have to remember to walk softly as she really isn't ready to let go of that part of her life.  Going through her extremely neat closets and drawers looking for papers and personal items (with her son's permission) made me realize again that I need to get my stuff sorted and pared way down. I'm 62 now, but at some point someone else will have to go through and get rid of what is left.  I want to make that an easy task.  Now, if my Mom would just stop giving me stuff as she gets her own apartment in order...