Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1025358 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4700 on: April 06, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
Yesterday I took a carload of stuff to the thrift shop (yay for state tax deduction!) including lots of clothes, several pairs of shoes, a suitcase and small box of random home goods.

Now I'm working on decluttering outdoors.  I moved all of our split firewood up under the porch, which it its last stop before the fireplace.  Then the unsplit stuff was moved up closer to the shed.  Moved all scrap wood out from behind the chicken coop, so I now have a nice empty area to put in a new chicken run.  The old dog house will be modified a little bit and put down there.  I almost gave the dog house away last summer, so there's one instance where I'm glad my decluttering efforts failed.  It will be a mother-in-law suite for my old hens when my brand new chicks are ready to take over the main coop.

The scrap wood is going to go towards building the new chicken run, and also building a few new horse jumps.  The jumps will then go out to the stable and be out of my way.

It's looking rainy today, so the annual shop cleaning and decluttering just might be on the agenda if it's too wet for gardening.

Sunday we will be dismantling the crappy old tin shed at the end of the driveway since it's pretty much just a hotel for wasps.  Hoping we can just detach it from the floor, walk it up to the street and entice someone to haul it away with a Craigslist curb alert.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #4701 on: April 06, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
I did a big Konmari on my clothes last weekend and got rid of 4 grocery bags' worth, along with a laptop bag and a toiletry bag I'm not using any more. And all my clothes look very cheerful folded and rolled in my dresser, and I have a lot more breathing room in my closet. Good stuff!

I need to go through my shoes as well, which is tricky because I always feel like if only I got the right inserts, I'd be able to wear this pair, or I should give it another summer to see if I wear those sandals again ...

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4702 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
For those who are donating clothes and itemizing, I'm curious how you value your clothes. I'm never should what would be reasonable -what I paid for it? What I'd get selling it on ebay? Somewhere in between?

I have been changing out some of our furniture (new dining room chairs, end tables, etc.) and selling what we no longer want. Since pretty much all of my "new" purchases come from Craigslist, it's fun to figure out how much the changes are costing us. So far, it's been pretty close to breaking even, if not actually earning money. It also spurred me to stop dragging my heels and list a few smaller things on CL/FB garage sale groups. So glad to have some of those items out of my house! It's amazing how getting rid of just a few things can make you feel lighter.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4703 on: April 10, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
Finished another bottle of soap and lotion. Opened a new soap and another bottle of lotion. I can't wait to get to the end of this!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4704 on: April 11, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
Forgot to add, I also got rid of a bunch of gift cards and got cash for it. One major mental Todo done!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4705 on: April 11, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
For those who are donating clothes and itemizing, I'm curious how you value your clothes. I'm never should what would be reasonable -what I paid for it? What I'd get selling it on ebay? Somewhere in between?

I am currently trying to sell a brand new trousers for jalf the new price. No hits, except for someone who wanted to pay 25% less.

For used clothes you'll need to get a lot lower. I have donated my clothes for free to some organization that has containers in town. I have kept one body stocking that has never been worn. I'll try to get something for it. Maybe for 25% of the original price.

I think my wedding dress could perhaps get 30 to 50% of the price.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4706 on: April 11, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
I gave away two small bookshelves to a student, and now everyone else is envious, so I'm going to slowly bring all the other shelves that I can fit in my car (5) for students to take. That'll leave me just three tall bookshelves to find homes for.

I also overheard a biology teacher talking about a fish thing in his classroom... maybe he'll want my aquarium?

And some teacher somewhere that hasn't converted all his/her files to digital MUST want my filing cabinet, right?

Anyway... progress!
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4707 on: April 11, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »

I use ItsDeductible https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/. That way I don't have to worry about justifying my valuation to anyone ;) It's definitely NOT the purchase price though. Goodwill also publishes a guide: https://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf
Key points, to deduct their value, they have to be in "good condition or better". For large items that are NOT in good condition, bank rate says: "If you claim a deduction of $500 or more for a used item that's not in good condition, the IRS says you'd better get an appraisal.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/valuation-guide-for-donated-goods.aspx#ixzz4dwwHVT9w"

Hope this helps. Personally, I also opt to snap photos of all my donations and dump them into evernote. Makes it easier to fill out those goodwill donation cards, and if I'm ever audited I'm set. Plus it's a pretty quick step for some peace of mind =)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4708 on: April 11, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
My DH went through his clothes!  I've been asking for over 2 years, and he did it on his own while I was out for a run.  Now I need to get everything packaged up to donate.  Woohoo! 

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4709 on: April 11, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »

I use ItsDeductible https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/. That way I don't have to worry about justifying my valuation to anyone ;) It's definitely NOT the purchase price though. Goodwill also publishes a guide: https://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf
Key points, to deduct their value, they have to be in "good condition or better". For large items that are NOT in good condition, bank rate says: "If you claim a deduction of $500 or more for a used item that's not in good condition, the IRS says you'd better get an appraisal.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/valuation-guide-for-donated-goods.aspx#ixzz4dwwHVT9w"

Hope this helps. Personally, I also opt to snap photos of all my donations and dump them into evernote. Makes it easier to fill out those goodwill donation cards, and if I'm ever audited I'm set. Plus it's a pretty quick step for some peace of mind =)

Thanks for the links! That's a great idea to just take a quick picture before donating. I usually sell my old clothes on ebay, and can offload 75-80% this way, but there are some that just don't sell. This year even with our mortgage interest, we came in *just* under the standard deduction - I know if I'd itemized our donations it would've taken us across that line. I was kicking myself for sure, so I don't want to let it happen again!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4710 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
When we left our mountain cabin I asked my DH if he really wanted to keep 2  pairs of his old CC ski shoes there that he never uses. But unfortunately he is not ready for removing them. He also doen't want to throw away the old tent we had there. Now it is on it's way home again.

facepalm

• Stubble
« Reply #4711 on: April 11, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
Got rid of a bunch of books this past week, and have another two boxes to go.

Next on the block: Putting the iPhone on eBay.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4712 on: April 11, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
In the past week husband and I have broken a glass, a bowl and a side plate.

That's one way to declutter...

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4713 on: April 11, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Over the weekend, I decluttered a pile of old camera stuff, cables, phone cords, and the like. Also just gave away the second of the four pairs of binoculars I previously removed from my office. My desk is getting there.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4714 on: April 11, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
Two more bookshelves claimed!

If I can manage it, I'll bring another shelf tomorrow, but that one is bulkier and heavier, and I'm not sure if I can get it in my car without my husband's help. If not, I can bring it Thursday.

It's pretty fun giving things to students. The girl who got yesterday's shelves has never had a bookshelf before! She's so excited! :)
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4715 on: April 12, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
I reorganized some of the camping gear, so that all sleeping materials, down slippers, towels and all cooking equipment are inside the house on 1 place instead of spread halfway in the barn. I threw away some nice to keep things that we haven't used for the last 10 years or so. Let's hope I don't need it exactly next year.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4716 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
I set aside a work suit for donation as the skirt is too tight. It always has been, but I struggled on with it for years. The other day I was so uncomfortable that as soon as I took it off I knew I would donate it.

Then this morning I put on a dress for work... and realised I usually wore that jacket with it. I feel like a charity will get more money for the suit, so I don't want to just keep the jacket to wear with this one dress. I did find another jacket that will 'do'. I guess I just have to accept that for an easier life I must deal with some sub-optimal outfits. I'm sure I'll survive!

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4717 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »
I took most of this week off to decompress a little and aparantly it worked.  Just today I got the energy to bring some unused stuff down to the local Red Cross goodwill store.  Less stuff here, more $$$ for the Red Cross.  :)

Some more stuff will go out tomorrow, but probably stuff that will be thrown away since it's a public holiday.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4718 on: April 13, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
Three more bookshelves gone! The last one I can fit in the car is in the trunk and will be claimed today (there's actually a bit of a contest for it). The large ones are potentially claimed and may be gone within the next week or so.

I still need to find a home for a set of drawers.

We have three printers in the garage. THREE! I think I may just donate those.

The file cabinet and fish tank still need homes.

Really, though, there's so much more space in the garage already! :)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4719 on: April 13, 2017, 07:39:33 AM »
If your tank and cabinet are in good condition, you could try craigslisting them?  For some reason, whenever I post a file cabinet (metro areas) they sell in days.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4720 on: April 13, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
I'm shooting to do this tomorrow (took the day off):

- Vacuum, wipe down and take interior pictures of my car to list it for sale. Moving to a single-car household.
- List multiple household items/appliances on craigslist.
- Hopefully get a list of items compiled for garage sale we're aiming to have later this month or next
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4721 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:40 AM »
I refuse to start packing yet, but decluttering is always ok. Put my winter boots away and wondered what was in the other boxes. Start looking through and I ended up throwing out 7 pairs of shoes. Then I threw out the tennis shoes that were falling apart after I bought new ones.

Pulled out a couple of tops that were poor decisions to donate.

Also selected some Wedgewood that I don't want and put in a box. Need to take pictures and post on Ebay. There's also a needlepoint doll house rug that I did and have been meaning to sell. I have the mailing tube, just need to post on ebay.

I have a plastic pallet to raise things off the floor, cluttering up the garage. I've kept it because I knew I was going to buy a house and move, but the house I'm attempting to buy has a crawl space. Once that house passes inspection I'll get rid of the pallet. (The first house I tried to buy fell through due to structural issues.)

And FINALLY remembered to throw out the broken lamp. Not repairable, and it's been sitting for months and just kept forgetting.

I'm sure there will be more. My roommate closed on her condo yesterday, and she's going to start taking stuff over. She's got a problem with stuff (all the signs point to a future hoarding situation), so I'd rather give her some time to clear out the crap before I start packing boxes.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4722 on: April 13, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
Love the idea of this thread.

I took a box of clothes to the local consignment shop, and hope to earn a little extra that way. I could sell each item on ebay myself, but I've found in the past that I don't earn much on clothing there (shoes/boots, though, have been lucrative).

I have a few more boxes sitting by the back door to bring to the thrift store - but have been putting that off because I keep finding small things to add to the boxes and get them out of the house.

Next up: over the next month, put many of the craft supplies (mostly fabric and yarn I bought and never used) up for free for Facebook friends or Buy Nothing.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #4723 on: April 13, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
This weekend I am doing a massive declutter / organization of craft, art, decor and project materials. I seem to have accumulated an awful lot of stuff and while I have plenty of room to store it all - I don't know if I want to. Luckily there is a local free art space that would love some donations.

I'm writing this here to hold myself accountable!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4724 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
Ahh my husband is the best. He took a licensing test this week, and had borrowed a TON of reference materials from a co-worker (like, a duffel bag full). The day after the test, without prompting, he took all the materials back to Coworker! And then made a comment about how he's happy there's more space in the closet. Good man <3
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4725 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
If your tank and cabinet are in good condition, you could try craigslisting them?  For some reason, whenever I post a file cabinet (metro areas) they sell in days.

My husband wants me to avoid listing things on CL if possible because it creeps him out, so I've been trying to find homes for these things in a way that he's happy with, though he knows and accepts I'll go the CL route eventually if needed.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4726 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
FINALLY made it to the hazardous waste dropoff day. They rejected a few paint item which I can dry out and put in the trash, and I missed a couple of items, but it's nice to get rid of every CFL I've ever used, broken thermometers, paint, etc. It has been a long time coming -- one of the items I missed is the bathtub paint from our first house's previous owner. We moved into that house in 1999.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4727 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:40 AM »
FINALLY made it to the hazardous waste dropoff day. They rejected a few paint item which I can dry out and put in the trash, and I missed a couple of items, but it's nice to get rid of every CFL I've ever used, broken thermometers, paint, etc. It has been a long time coming -- one of the items I missed is the bathtub paint from our first house's previous owner. We moved into that house in 1999.

Wow! That's got to feel GREAT. Nearly 20 years of accumulation, done!

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4728 on: April 16, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
People are bringing stuff into our house. We give away a tent for free and in return we get an asian dress to put around a wine bottle. What is the point of such a thing? Thrown into the bin. Same with the newspaper in 4 parts that FIL brought in.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4729 on: April 16, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »
I can imagine your expression at the wine cover! I'd be a mixture of confused and resigned!

I found a new FB giveaway group and successfully gave away books and DVDs that had been sat waiting to get out of the house for months. I may also have a taker for a broken stereo but they might flake.

Also I pulled out a bag and box to find the stereo and found one was covered in mould. It had three pairs of shoes that are mouldy. So I talked to DH about it - how if he wants to hold onto so much stuff in our humid environment then he'll have to clean it. It's not healthy having mould growing.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4730 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
Finally got through all of our storage closet.  Got rid of a pyrex 9x11 dish and covered cake pan to my sister.  Donating a tea light candle holder and a couple of kid plates.  Threw out some old food (this closet also stores extra food items).  We have wire shelves and 1 wall only has 1 shelf that is up high and it stores paper products.  Found some carabiners and used the shelf to hang up assorted bags that were cluttered and crammed into a space.  Also was able to put like items together so now the storage space is better organized.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4731 on: April 17, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
BiL staying tonight. I am giving him a toiletry bag full of miniatures (he always forgets to pack toiletries).

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4732 on: April 17, 2017, 07:04:30 PM »
-DS#1 sold a musical instrument for me, we split the proceeds
-I listed a unused gift on Kijiji and got a meeting set up..that will net some cash tomorrow
-I donated some new and some used hardware
-I try to sell/trade some organisational stuff, and drives me crazy that everybody "likes" it but I didn't get rid of it yet
-got rid of around 1 bag of various other stuff--

BeautifulDay

• Stubble
« Reply #4733 on: April 18, 2017, 06:02:11 PM »
Just moved houses.  Friends who helped with the move commented that it was the easiest move they ever helped with.  That's what happens after a year of decluttering.  With pretty much everything in my house I ask, "is this ________ worth the effort of moving?"  For sooooooo many things the answer is no.

Also, Moved into a house without a yard.  So got rid of a shed full of lawn stuff and now on my days off I can get out and enjoy the city instead of working on the water sucking lawn.  Feels like freedom.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4734 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:52 PM »
Last weekend we did a Craigslist curb alert and got rid of our tasty old tin shed in 38 minutes!

I also finally put together the horse jumps I've been meaning to build, and took most of them out to the barn.  The others are assembled, but need to be shored up with more screws.  However they can stand on their own and are out of the shop.  Lots of scrap wood used, including a cedar mailbox post we bought super cheap and never installed because it was going to infringe on the sidewalk too much.  Next project is turning the dog house + more scrap wood and unused wire rolls into a second chicken coop/run.

Donated a large basket for a division fundraiser at work last week. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4735 on: April 18, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
I think I finally found the energy to go through the laundry stuff and sort out what we don't use, what we can use up (and never bother buying again because something else works fine), and make some proper "cleaning kits" so I can find what I need to clean up the house without searching for it. Mmm yes, I love a neatly organised cupboard!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4736 on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
Donated a bag full of stuff that I've been collecting in the past month. Need to get myself back to clearing out stuff before baby comes!

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #4737 on: April 19, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »
Little craigslist win.....I had a snowmobile helmet from when we bought snowmobiles in 2004.  It was for my son who was 4 at the time.  Sold to someone who sent a check including shipping cost.  Easy enough to box up and send away. 

Oh.....and the slightly (haha) bigger item.  The 2005 snowmobile that we still had from back then.  Initially we would go up to New Hampshire several times a year, stay at a nice hotel right on the snowmobile trails and go ride all around.  Over the years, that dwindled and we rode around our property. Last 2 years, it's made its way from the shed to the garage for the winter, then back to the shed, so up for sale it goes on craigslist.  We got a big last snowstorm so the buyer was able to ride it around a bit to check it out.  Pile of $100 bills and my shed spot now has bicycle hooks for my and my kids' bikes. 

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4738 on: April 19, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
I think I'll need to declutter one shelf in a cupboard at the time. When working full time  it is not easy to find the time and the rest to declutter, including the negotiations with my DH who likes to hang on to this. There is still a lot to declutter in almost every room in our house.
Last time I did it like this: Decluttered some camping gear:
- 1 pile of keeping
- 1 pile of throwing away
- 1 pile of in want-to-throw away, but needs DH's input. He only objected against 1 item, the rest could be ditched. This works better then stimulating him to declutter himself.

Cobaka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4739 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Just moved houses.  Friends who helped with the move commented that it was the easiest move they ever helped with.  That's what happens after a year of decluttering.  With pretty much everything in my house I ask, "is this ________ worth the effort of moving?"  For sooooooo many things the answer is no.

Also, Moved into a house without a yard.  So got rid of a shed full of lawn stuff and now on my days off I can get out and enjoy the city instead of working on the water sucking lawn.  Feels like freedom.

This, in my opinion; is the best way to de-clutter.

You do not have to literally move, but regularly go thru your house; probably once a month and act like you are putting it up for sale and need to clear it out for anything you do not wish to move; you will keep it down to the necessary.

Personally, I keep mine so if I decide to take a job somewhere else(I'm usually on the lookout for a better one); I can put it on the market that week and able to move in two weeks. I went thru it once where I had to pay to fix it up and basically junk a lot of things I never used anyways; I have been cured. My closets are almost empty now as most everything I use fits in the dresser.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4740 on: April 19, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
-I've been enjoying the new "no sidebar" community page on facebook. It's a closed group, so your friends can't see what you post there (unless they are in the group I suppose).

-DH asked what we were planning tonight when he finishes work, and said he wants to 'do something productive, but not something outside'. I suggested cleaning up the office and decluttering it, and he seemed receptive. He also could use a pass on his clothing- a lot is wearing out. Maybe I'll do that again. I pull stuff out and set aside what I think he might want to let go, because of wear or size or what have you. Then he decides and lets me know why- if it's just wear, I know to start looking to replace the item for him. He doesn't have much clothing, so this doesn't take too long =)

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4741 on: April 19, 2017, 03:54:32 PM »
I use FB sale groups to give away stuff and the same names keep popping up. One in particular often wants my stuff but is then very flakey about picking up. I had it confirmed from a third person in the group that she's an actual hoarder. Makes sense. The annoying thing is, I don't think there's a way in FB sale groups to block a person from replying.

I am pretty much down to decluttering digital stuff now, although that includes CDs, an old laptop that are storing digital files.

I have to say, my efforts have made a difference. Our house is still a total mess day to day but given 30mins warning of visitors we could completely tidy up and do a good enough clean now everything has a place. If I can just steer DH towards letting go of a few things (he has more shoes than me and there's never quite enough space in the cupboard) it would be good so I don't find things with mould. He has got rid of quite a bit so I think my energies may be best focussed on stopping more stuff coming into the house! Also, we're going to do a massive clean out of the spare room to deal with mildew so once he sees it all and has wasted a weekend he might be inspired.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4742 on: April 19, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Another Goodwill trip. Donated:

3 printers in excellent condition
1 fish tank
1 fish tank stand
1 box of books
1 box of clothes
1 tennis racquet
1 box of assorted jewelry and knicknacks

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4743 on: April 19, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Slowly going through and selling off items from a fancy high end fashion style I no longer wear as often.  Taking a loss on some of those items, of course, but occasionally making a profit too

So far I've sold... 3 purses, a vest, 2 blouses, and "made" $350 (not counting all I paid for these things, of course.)  Still, better cash in my pocket than all these lovely items sitting around unused.

Some unexpected emergency renovations have forced me to go through my stuff once again, and now I'm starting to make a stack of books and games I'd like to get rid of.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4744 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31:25 PM »
I use FB sale groups to give away stuff and the same names keep popping up. One in particular often wants my stuff but is then very flakey about picking up. I had it confirmed from a third person in the group that she's an actual hoarder. Makes sense. The annoying thing is, I don't think there's a way in FB sale groups to block a person from replying.

I am pretty much down to decluttering digital stuff now, although that includes CDs, an old laptop that are storing digital files.

I have to say, my efforts have made a difference. Our house is still a total mess day to day but given 30mins warning of visitors we could completely tidy up and do a good enough clean now everything has a place. If I can just steer DH towards letting go of a few things (he has more shoes than me and there's never quite enough space in the cupboard) it would be good so I don't find things with mould. He has got rid of quite a bit so I think my energies may be best focussed on stopping more stuff coming into the house! Also, we're going to do a massive clean out of the spare room to deal with mildew so once he sees it all and has wasted a weekend he might be inspired.

Sorry to hear you are still battling the mould problem, freshwater.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4745 on: April 20, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »
Sorry to hear you are still battling the mould problem, freshwater.

I think I need to vac and dust more often and then set a reminder to run the dehumidifier. Stuff in our damp old garage (where there's no dust) doesn't seem to get mouldy. I hate dusting but not as much as cleaning mould off things.

I put my wedding and funeral type clothes in space vacuum bags and it's great being able to get them out without having to do a mould check!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4746 on: April 20, 2017, 01:45:12 AM »
I think I finally found the energy to go through the laundry stuff and sort out what we don't use, what we can use up (and never bother buying again because something else works fine), and make some proper "cleaning kits" so I can find what I need to clean up the house without searching for it. Mmm yes, I love a neatly organised cupboard!
Laundry cupboard is now neat. I don't have "cleaning kits" yet, but I think that will be worked out once I have done a deep clean of the house and can notice what I'm using.

I freed up enough space to start taking stuff out of the study and putting it in the laundry!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4747 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
Sold and shipped a couple (small) car parts this week.

Car is also posted, but no bites.  Might be priced too high.

Now, I only have about 500 more items to sort through and sell.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4748 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »
Approx 4 wastebaskets full of shredded documents
One shelf of books and DVDs
Clock
Goblet
Approx 2 wastebaskets of documents that didn't need to be shredded
1 box of books and trinkets to give to students
Condensed boxes of assorted notecards into one box

Up for debate: Sheet music? I don't really sing much anymore, though I do occasionally like to pull sometging out and sing it. I've got about a half-shelf worth of bound sheet music and another half of loose sheet music. Some of it would be very hard to replace. Hmmm...

It amazes me how I keep finding stuff to get rid of despite hardly buying anything in the past three years since decluttering became a goal. Right now I have three tall bookshelves full. I think it's possible to get down to one in the next several years. There's no rush, though.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4749 on: April 21, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »

Up for debate: Sheet music? I don't really sing much anymore, though I do occasionally like to pull sometging out and sing it. I've got about a half-shelf worth of bound sheet music and another half of loose sheet music. Some of it would be very hard to replace. Hmmm...

What about scanning it and keeping it on your computer (and on a backup server)? Then throw away the original.
Altermatively you could put the loose sheets in an ordner. Loose sheets are no good anyway.

It amazes me how I keep finding stuff to get rid of despite hardly buying anything in the past three years since decluttering became a goal. Right now I have three tall bookshelves full. I think it's possible to get down to one in the next several years. There's no rush, though.

Content of book shelves are hard to get rid of. We did a good job when we moved last year and threw away the contents of 3 cupboards. Now we have 3 left. But they are getting fuller all the time. People keep giving us books, despite me being a Kindle reader. My DH sometimes buys books on sale. We both bought more hobby books for new hobbies. And how to keep tracks of the novels that aren't read yet? They stay in piles in from of the cupboard, one pile per person, plus a pile that none of us has read. It hopeless. The only good thing about it, is that the book shelves are not in the living room, but in some bedroom that we use as storage room/guest room.