Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 739784 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4650 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »
Tossed a bunch of old letters, some travel memorabilia from years ago, and a broken ramekin.

And I returned two of the four new bras I bought. I don't even know why I bought four new ones. I only have two boobs.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4651 on: March 15, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
I packed up a bunch of clothes in bags in my trunk, and I will drop them off soon.

I'm giving away a bag of random knickknacks on my Buy Nothing Group.   

I have not kept up with clearing out the clutter.  I need to go through my clothes again, but I also need to go through all of our miscellaneous stuff.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4652 on: March 15, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
Got rid of 4 glass toiletries bottles. Tiny, but gone from the house!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4653 on: March 16, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
Charity pickup is today!  $621 worth of donations submitted.  I feel so good about sending things to a better home where they will be needed.  I didn't include any shoes in my items as they are going to a work shoe drive for immigrant children who are moving to Chicago.  I now feel better about my snow boots donations - knowing they are actually going to an immigrant child that needs them in this area.  Somehow I feel better about that than Goodwill (I'm not sure why that is though).
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Mezzie

• Bristles
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4654 on: March 17, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »
I donated some canned and jarred food to the local food bank. It's good stuff that I would have eaten eventually, probably, but it's in a better place now.

I gave away a journal to a student and have been writing thank you cards liberally (I have so many!).

I attacked the ever-growing pile of mail. I swear that is the biggest hurdle for me as far as keeping my living room uncluttered goes.

I'm doing another closet purge this weekend. I thought I'd gotten rid of everything I could, but I think I've actually got a bag or two worth of clothes I don't love wearing.

I'm giving up on reading my old journals before shredding them. They're too depressing, and that doesn't make up for the cool parts where I see the name of someone I'd forgotten or am reminded of a fun memory with a relative who has since passed. Plus, there are simply SO MANY. I'm done. They served their purpose when I wrote them: I improved my writing skills and sorted out my thoughts. For journals going forward, I think I'll make a five-year expiration date.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4655 on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Sold a Bumbo chair and tray that was given to me as a hand me down for $20. We decided we won't be using one, so it is out of the house, and that $20 goes into the college fund.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #4656 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
I finally convinced my wife to let me clear out a cabinet in our dining room so we can store our bird seed in it. We were just leaving the bird seed on the living room floor, but we were getting sunflower seeds and peanuts all over the place. It also meant we had to move the bird seed containers whenever we needed to vacuum in there. Now that they are in the cabinet, we shouldn't have to move them when we clean. Also, she will be scooping them out in the dining room which has gray tiles. The rogue peanuts and sunflower seeds will be easier to find and pick up.
Less is more.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4657 on: March 18, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
I'm still decluttering. I'm working on my kitchen and my study at the same time. I've been avoiding the study for so long. I still have boxes stored in there untouched from when I moved in 7 years ago. I'm excavating paper.  Yesterday I found and shredded some stuff that went back to 1985. Doh! I've made a goal to go paperless.....should manage that in another 7 years.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4658 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Rearranged toys and books to empty a shelf so plush toys can go in there and make the corner they are in much more usable for my kid. I'm thinking to move a coffee table there so she can spread her toys on it when needed. The books are now in a easy to access basket so my kid doesn't have to get the whole shelf out to find her favorites. Also moved a book to donate pile and put away clothing from a trip. Now to attack clothing from laundry once it's done.

I also finished three books this week and returned them to the library. I have three more to go along with a bunch of magazines.

jillinsandiego

• Stubble
« Reply #4659 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
We had a really productive weekend in the getting rid of stuff/clutter category. I am looking for something that I can't find in the house, and it always spurs me on to downsize the stuff when that happens. I went through multiple drawers/cupboards and, although I still didn't find what I was looking for, I got rid of a TON of old stuff that didn't need to be taking up space, lots of miscellaneous bits of junk I used to save because that's what my mom did and I didn't know any better: old cards, brochures from places I visited, movie ticket stubs, stupid crap like that. Then I cleaned out a box in the garage (more of the same but stuff my mom saved and then gave me as "your stuff"...still have 4 or 5 of those boxes left that I dread) and 1.5 file folder boxes full of old college work.

We also took a stab at the playroom, and managed to remove 64 children's books and some miscellaneous toys to donate. We gave our neighbor all the duplos (kids are onto "real" legos now), nice ski pants, a raincoat, and hiking boots that my youngest has outgrown. My oldest has two bags of clothes to donate that aren't worth saving for his younger brother. I pulled out a pair of pants that I don't like and never wear and 3 shirts.

I'm disappointed to be back at work today instead of de-cluttering some more, but my recycling can is full anyway and doesn't get picked up until Thursday. Ideally I want to touch everything and know everything we have (and where it is). It is a daunting goal.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #4660 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
I'm disappointed to be back at work today instead of de-cluttering some more, but my recycling can is full anyway and doesn't get picked up until Thursday. Ideally I want to touch everything and know everything we have (and where it is). It is a daunting goal.

I know that feel when you fill up your recycling bin. I've done that twice since I started decluttering in earnest this year. It's filled up mostly from breaking down packaging for old appliances and things we no longer have.

Keep up the good work. It'll give you something to look forward to over the weekend :D
Less is more.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4661 on: March 20, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
We had a really productive weekend in the getting rid of stuff/clutter category. I am looking for something that I can't find in the house, and it always spurs me on to downsize the stuff when that happens. I went through multiple drawers/cupboards and, although I still didn't find what I was looking for, I got rid of a TON of old stuff that didn't need to be taking up space, lots of miscellaneous bits of junk I used to save because that's what my mom did and I didn't know any better: old cards, brochures from places I visited, movie ticket stubs, stupid crap like that. Then I cleaned out a box in the garage (more of the same but stuff my mom saved and then gave me as "your stuff"...still have 4 or 5 of those boxes left that I dread) and 1.5 file folder boxes full of old college work.

We also took a stab at the playroom, and managed to remove 64 children's books and some miscellaneous toys to donate. We gave our neighbor all the duplos (kids are onto "real" legos now), nice ski pants, a raincoat, and hiking boots that my youngest has outgrown. My oldest has two bags of clothes to donate that aren't worth saving for his younger brother. I pulled out a pair of pants that I don't like and never wear and 3 shirts.

That is an enormous effort. Well done!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4662 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
A bout of decluttering inspiration struck while I was getting ready for work this morning (as it does most days. I like my job but get bored with the morning routine).

I grabbed a stack of loyalty cards from a drawer, checked they were all in my Stocard app, then tossed them plus the little card wallet they'd been stored in. Fourteen things gone in five minutes.

Mezzie

• Bristles
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4663 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:12 AM »
I think I'll attack the junk drawers this weekend. Most, if not all, of the stuff we actually use (I already got rid of stuff from them), but I'm thinking of organizing them logically with little dividers.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4664 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Last week I finally took the two dozen mason jars I had collected to a friend who cans.  She was delighted.

I took a bag of clothing to goodwill as well and read another book just to get it off my shelf.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4665 on: March 22, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
I'm buying a house!!!!!! (first house, really excited, I'm annoying to be around right now.) Which means I'll be moving soon.

Have been accumulating a pile of stuff to get rid of for a while, so will be adding to it as I start packing and eventually take it all to goodwill. Move sometime in May, so I have time, and nowhere near as much crap as my roommate who's in the same boat.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4666 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
I'm buying a house!!!!!! (first house, really excited, I'm annoying to be around right now.) Which means I'll be moving soon.
Congratulations!!!

All of my big clear outs have centered around a move.  I purged as I packed and unpacked.  :D

Mezzie

• Bristles
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4667 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
I would have shredded seven more journals, but the shredder overheated at four and a half. I'll have to finish those in the morning.

After that, all I have left journal-wise is a few pages I ripped out that I'll scan and journals from the past five years. I'm going to institute a one-filled, one-shredded policy from here on out.

It feels really good to be almost rid of them -- they've been quite a weight.

I've also moved some new-condition stuffed animals (prizes from carnival games) to the donate pile, freeing up most of another closet shelf.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4668 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
Threw out the volumising attachment for my hairdryer this morning.

I didn't own a hairdryer till I was 26. Four years later I've never used this attachment, and only use the hairdryer when it's an emergency.

I think I'll be ok without it.

My goal is to get all toiletries down to one bathroom drawer (we only have one) and one small tub of spares. Getting there slowly.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4669 on: March 24, 2017, 06:10:34 AM »
I would have shredded seven more journals, but the shredder overheated at four and a half. I'll have to finish those in the morning.

After that, all I have left journal-wise is a few pages I ripped out that I'll scan and journals from the past five years. I'm going to institute a one-filled, one-shredded policy from here on out.

It feels really good to be almost rid of them -- they've been quite a weight.

I've also moved some new-condition stuffed animals (prizes from carnival games) to the donate pile, freeing up most of another closet shelf.

I've been contemplating throwing out old journals. I mean, I never read them. When I have glanced at them they caused nothing but embarrassment. But I don't know. For some reason I feel I should keep them. Like I'm letting go of my former self or youth or something? I dunno.

I do know that whenever I consider my own mortality, I cringe at the thought of someone reading them. Maybe that is reason enough to get rid, I mean, I'm definitely going to die.

Mezzie

• Bristles
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4670 on: March 24, 2017, 06:19:41 AM »
I had the same feelings. I read some, liked seeing the names of old friends and family members that are no longer living, hated reading about my deep depression and unhealthy relationships, got slightly sucked in to said depression, and stopped reading. The journals served their purpose when I wrote them. Keeping them has been a burden (sometimes literal when moving as they took up boxes of space), and as each one goes, I feel better.

Except for some furniture I need to unload, my decluttering is now at the hardest stage: mementos and emotionally charged things. It's slow-going, but I'm making constant progress. More importantly, I've managed to not add to that group of objects. I don't need to remember everything. Forgetting some good memories is well worth it if it also means forgetting/letting go of the bad.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4671 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:59 AM »
Got rid of a few more baby hand me downs I don't plan on using at all.  I love the buy nothing group!

Funny story though: My mother came over and opened our (well organized, but totally full) container cabinent in the kitchen.  She sighed and said "I've been helping your sister clean out- we need to get rid of half of these! You have way too much!" 

Except, last week, the cabinet was completely empty because every single one of them was full with food in the fridge!  We cook every single meal from scratch, plan to have leftovers so that we can bring lunches to work and have a few dinners each week we don't have to prepare, and save ingredients in containers when we don't need them all for a recipe.  Just because SHE doesn't need fridge containers doesn't mean we don't!

However, I did ask her to sneak out some of the coffee mugs while DH wasn't looking!  No one needs 20 coffee mugs!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4672 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
I got rid of a huge ugly dresser that we didn't want to move! We were just going to "donate" it to the alley, but I decided to email everyone else in my building to see whether anyone wanted it. Turns out our across-the-hall neighbor likes to refinish furniture! We pushed that heavy sucker out of my apartment and into hers, and she paid me in beer from the microbrewery she works at. Score!

jillinsandiego

• Stubble
« Reply #4673 on: March 24, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I have old cringe-worthy journals too. I did get rid of one last weekend. I like the consideration that the writing of it served its purpose and I can let them go now.

Getting ready to leave the work week behind me and see how much more stuff I can clear out this weekend! We have company the entire weekend so it probably won't be as productive as last weekend, unfortunately.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4674 on: March 25, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »
Won a fridge in a chook raffle a few weeks ago. Handed it off to a cousin who needed it today.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #4675 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
I sold a bunch of stuff this week. I finally got rid of some bicycle wheels that were sitting in the basement. I sold a tea set that we were given as a wedding gift and never used. I also sold a bunch of old Legos from my childhood. The Legos are trickling out of my inventory, but they are still starting to disappear.

At this point in my decluttering process, I think I've picked all of the low hanging fruit. I would like to clean out my garage too, I'm just waiting for the weather to improve. I also need to figure out how to throw away a garbage can. The previous home owners left like 10 garbage can marked yard waste. I'll see if any of my neighbors are interested. I use the side discharge on my mower and just break down and compost any twigs or branches that fall of the trees in my yard.

We're expecting some additional shelving to be delivered on Monday. The shelves are called BrickBox and they essentially let you build a bookcase or shelves for storage as small or as large as you need it to be. When we get that, we can get rid of some more of our less functional "early poverty" furniture. My wife has a leopard gecko that lives in a tank that straddles two crappy end tables her parents gave her when she moved out. Other than holding up the tank, they aren't good for much else. The new shelves will look better and give us space to store things we actually do want to keep.
Less is more.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4676 on: March 25, 2017, 03:37:04 AM »
I have old cringe-worthy journals too. I did get rid of one last weekend. I like the consideration that the writing of it served its purpose and I can let them go now.

I needed this. I have about a dozen journals in my bedroom at my parents' place that I've been reluctant to part with. Lord knows I never read them, couldn't bear it, but still felt reluctant to part with them. But now it's time for them to go.

Got rid of two old side tables with baskets this evening. Took a mallet to them until they fit in the bin. The two lamps that were on them will go to my parents. The blender and food processor is going tomorrow, I'm passing it on to another Mustachian (hi, marty998).

A couple of weeks ago (?) I printed up a numbered grid to keep a tally of decluttered items. I'm at 154, with yet more on the to-declutter list.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4677 on: March 25, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »
Won a fridge in a chook raffle a few weeks ago. Handed it off to a cousin who needed it today.

Hey, you're here!

I've decluttered a lot but even I haven't decluttered a fridge!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4678 on: March 25, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
Now I need to declutter a blender :/

What are you doing to me? :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4679 on: March 25, 2017, 03:50:35 AM »
Now I need to declutter a blender :/

What are you doing to me? :D

You wanted smoothies, dammit!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4680 on: March 25, 2017, 03:56:21 AM »
I do... but you haven't told me how big this appliance is!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4681 on: March 25, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
BIL is on his way to pick up the dining room table and 6 chairs. I will also send one of my 4 pairs of binoculars and a birding book to my sister. The dining table is the last major obstacle to the demolition/light renovation project in the home gym.

Mezzie

• Bristles
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4682 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
I finished shredding the journals. I feel wonderful. :)

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4683 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
Ha, I recently shredded a cringeworthy journal too!

I think the rest of my (high-school-era) journals are probably still in my mother's house somewhere. Yikes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4684 on: March 26, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
Article from the Australian Financial Review:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/home-design/interior-design/love-decluttering-and-minimalism-youre-probably-rich-and-showing-off-20170326-gv73n0

while we're talking about Marie Kondo, if you follow her motto, throwing out anything that doesn't "spark joy", it means you have the privilege of disposing of excess stuff, safe in the knowledge that there's plenty more where that came from.

As Reductress, the parody women's website, pointed out last month, the advantages of decluttering your life include, "no longer [being] bogged down with all that stuff you don't need that you can immediately order again on Amazon. Thankfully, you make enough money that owning things feels like a burden!"

Interesting theory but this misses the mark for me.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4685 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
I got rid of some kid art supplies and an American girl type doll and clothes.   A friend does loaves and fishes at a church and said they also do craft projects.  Figured they could use the sticky foam pieces.  They also put donated items on a table for people to take.  Some little girl should like the doll.

When I was taking the stuff out of my storage closet, I saw an ice bucket we got as a wedding present... 12 yrs ago.  Never used, time to go!