Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 982955 times)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4550 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
Paperwork questions (I'm in Canada if it matters). 
Old insurance policies for car/house - how far back to keep? 
Maintenance records for car, so far I have kept everything.  Mustachian problem, car was bought in 2010, if I traded in every few years this would not be such a bulging file  ;-) but I have almost 7 years worth of paperwork for it.  Keep or ditch oldest records?
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4551 on: February 19, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
I was decluttering one of my husband's many "organizing" (junk-holding) boxes on his computer table and found an unused $50 gift card! Plus a quarter, though that's a lot less exciting. Also found an old cell phone of his that I can sell on ebay for $20ish.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4552 on: February 19, 2017, 12:51:33 PM »
Maintenance records for car, so far I have kept everything.  Mustachian problem, car was bought in 2010, if I traded in every few years this would not be such a bulging file  ;-) but I have almost 7 years worth of paperwork for it.  Keep or ditch oldest records?

I personally would keep everything on the car, just to show the future owner that you did regular maintenance. As a buyer, I would trust a seller much more if he/she could produce proof instead of just telling me the car was serviced regularly.

Here's an infographic from H&R Block on which documents to keep and for how long.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4553 on: February 19, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »

I personally would keep everything on the car, just to show the future owner that you did regular maintenance. As a buyer, I would trust a seller much more if he/she could produce proof instead of just telling me the car was serviced regularly.

Here's an infographic from H&R Block on which documents to keep and for how long.

Thanks - car stuff forever, insurance much less, got it.

Interesting all the things that should be in a safe deposit box.  I would need a larger box for all that.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4554 on: February 19, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »
Threw out a few bags of company swag from project launches. Glad I looked through it first. Found a really nice umbrella and a $25 Amazon gift card I didn't know about!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4555 on: February 20, 2017, 03:39:23 AM »
Yeah, I keep all car stuff in one clip file, and present it to the purchaser when someone is considering buying the car. Last time I sold a car to a person* a policeman bought it. He loved the file, he was like, this is so reassuring, you are the best person I've ever bought a car from. Made me feel good, and the paperwork always stayed contained in that one slim file! 

This weekend I got rid of a pair of boots that were seriously unfashionable, that I never wear.

I also donated a jumper (british usage) that had a wide neck and annoyingly slipped off my shoulders constantly.

* Obviously I only sold it to a person because we were going down to 1 car. The last car I actually 'sold' was to a scrapper because we well and truly ran it into the ground. Like, we had to take it to the yard on a car transporter because not only did we drive it until it was unsaleable, but we then stripped it for parts to sell on ebay, and along with wing-mirrors, door handles, spoilers and THE SEATS, we also sold the wheels. My only regret in life is that in it's last few weeks, when we weren't sure how much longer it would last, I didn't keep the fuel tank low enough. So when it finally died, it had half a tank of petrol, and we couldn't siphon it off. MPP I guess.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4556 on: February 20, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
Brought a bunch of stuff to consignment but I think this may be my last batch going there.  I did well with this consignment store in the past but I noticed that it has changed recently - it's become rather shabby and worn out and things are not selling as they used to.  Fortunately, I don't have anything anymore that I would prefer to consign over just donating.  So from now on, I'll just donate.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4557 on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
Great motivation from all of you lately! Also in person motivation: A close friend is moving soon and mentioned they only need 10 boxes for their possessions so they don't need to pack until the last week. This led to a ton of questions from me, as I have seen their current place and it is a similar size to where I live (about 1000 square feet). Do they have lots of empty kitchen cabinets? - yes! Does that count all their clothes and her jewellery making business supplies? - no, they will use their few suitcases and tape their dresser drawers for clothes, and the jewellery supplies are already in bins ready for moving. Even though I now know that 10 boxes does not count all of their stuff - I am still so jealous! I came home and immediately found 20 items that I can donate. Even though I just did a big donation run a few days ago.  I have a few areas I know I can pare down still and that have been on my radar for awhile - this may be the push that gets them gone!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4558 on: February 20, 2017, 03:19:56 PM »
Great motivation from all of you lately! Also in person motivation: A close friend is moving soon and mentioned they only need 10 boxes for their possessions so they don't need to pack until the last week. This led to a ton of questions from me, as I have seen their current place and it is a similar size to where I live (about 1000 square feet). Do they have lots of empty kitchen cabinets? - yes! Does that count all their clothes and her jewellery making business supplies? - no, they will use their few suitcases and tape their dresser drawers for clothes, and the jewellery supplies are already in bins ready for moving. Even though I now know that 10 boxes does not count all of their stuff - I am still so jealous! I came home and immediately found 20 items that I can donate. Even though I just did a big donation run a few days ago.  I have a few areas I know I can pare down still and that have been on my radar for awhile - this may be the push that gets them gone!

This is very motivating.

It's about six months since I moved and I tossed a lot at the time but I know there is more to be had.

I need to palm a blender and food processor off on someone.

Also, I've been thinking about my collection of salad bowls/serving platters/large dishes, and when I last used them.

- large red bowl
- cut glass bowl - used for desserts
- large white bowl - used for salads
- weird steep-sided white bowl have not used in 6 months
- bamboo bowl - used for salads
- white serving dish thingie
- large white serving plate
- white casserole dish that could double as a serving bowl if needed have not used in 12 months
- white casserole dish with glass lid (see above) have not used in 12 months

Ok, that has helped me decide. Weird white bowl and one casserole dish can go. And one of my springform pans - I don't need two.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4559 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
Put two pairs of pointe shoes on facebook buy group. 1 sold almost instantly for $20. They've been in my closet since 2006.

If the others don't sell I'm either going to use them in a baby room craft or put them on the buy nothing group. 

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4560 on: February 20, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »
Sold another item on CL today for $60.  Need to make new listings for the skis, poles, etc because they're not selling.  But I'm kind of sick of dealing with CL flakes alread so I'm not motivated :-)

Spent a few hours today archiving emails at work. Still have lots to do but I've made progress.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4561 on: February 21, 2017, 03:18:52 AM »
A relative asked for help designing and printing party invitations.

I designed them myself, paid a couple of bucks to print them (she will reimburse me) and used up a stash of envelopes I had at home.

Loving the chart to mark off getting these little things out of the house.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4562 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
I gathered all of the donation receipts from 2016 for tax purposes this weekend.  It was extremely motivational to see how much we had donated.  I've started a new pile of stuff!  Woohoo!

ThreadUp received my bag of clothes, but no estimates on how much I will get from them.  I'm not hoping for much, but I would be happy with $20. 

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4563 on: February 21, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
I finally sold my drill sharpener today! Tomorrow, I should be rid of an old PS2 computer keyboard. On Friday, I should be able to get rid of some picture frames we received for as wedding gifts and never used.
Less is more.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4564 on: February 22, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »
I put an old gross pillow in the bin yesterday. It was so bulky that it's a huge space saving. We now have four for the spare room in a range of comfort levels and they can just live on the bed I reckon. I think with a bit more rearranging I can get all the outdoor furniture cushions stored on the shelf of the spare room wardrobe. It's the furthest point from the back door but it's the really the only spot to keep a 1.5m long bench cushion..

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4565 on: February 24, 2017, 09:30:43 AM »
My mother, as usual, decluttered to me by giving us a giant quilted blanket that she sewed. It is nice, but it clashes with our furniture so it has been taking up half a closet by itself.  However, I managed to offload it by taking it to the ski rental that we use every year... the place is always too cold for me.  Asked the owners if they would like to keep it, and they happily accepted! So it's a win-win... we clear out half a closet, they get a nice quilt that matches their decor, and I'll sleep warm next time we go there!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4566 on: February 24, 2017, 04:53:32 PM »
Tossed eight make-up brushes (never used) and an eyelash curler (used once, five years ago, hated it).

I used to think I needed this stuff, that it was expected, but I'm finding my own tolerance level. I have a low tolerance for stuff, and a high tolerance for living life with uncurled eyelashes.

Also, eyeshadow brushes are redundant since I never wear and no longer own eyeshadow.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4567 on: February 24, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
Tossed eight make-up brushes (never used) and an eyelash curler (used once, five years ago, hated it).

I used to think I needed this stuff, that it was expected, but I'm finding my own tolerance level. I have a low tolerance for stuff, and a high tolerance for living life with uncurled eyelashes.

Also, eyeshadow brushes are redundant since I never wear and no longer own eyeshadow.

Oh god. I own a few brushes, bought not that long ago in a moment where I thought I could become a proper lady that knows how to do makeup. It didn't happen but I'm hanging onto the brushes for just a wee while longer.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4568 on: February 24, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
I finally sold some unopened gifts we've had laying around. I sold some ugly figurines my wife received as a Christmas gift many years ago and a Lenox photo frame and album that doesn't match our decor. They were never taken out of the box or displayed.
Less is more.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4569 on: February 24, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »
A student was eyeing my stash of thank-you cards and journals that I keep on hand in my classroom, so I told her to take one. She ended up taking a very nice journal -- win for both of us! :)
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4570 on: February 25, 2017, 03:17:16 AM »
I should finally be able to get rid of some copper tubing, copper wire, and pop cans this morning. I don't go to recycling centers often and it looks like the 2 I went to several years ago are no longer in business. I hope this new place doesn't have a messy parking lot full screws and metal chips. I'd hate to sacrifice a car tire for $10 dollars in scrap metal.

Has anyone else noticed that they find more stuff to get rid of after visiting a room, closet, bookcase, or drawer a second or third time? Stuff I was struggling to part with the first time I decluttered were pretty easy to get rid of on subsequent visits.
Less is more.

misshershey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4571 on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:58 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that they find more stuff to get rid of after visiting a room, closet, bookcase, or drawer a second or third time? Stuff I was struggling to part with the first time I decluttered were pretty easy to get rid of on subsequent visits.

Ye gods, yes! I can't tell you how much stuff I've tossed on my second and third passes through a clutter spot. Also, got rid of my particle board bookcase today on Buy Nothing! Between that and my posterboard display (which hasn't gone away yet, but will either go away via Buy Nothing or Goodwill), I'm at 1158 lbs donated or tossed! That posterboard display, with all of the shelves, is 300 lbs on its own!

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4572 on: February 25, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »

Ye gods, yes! I can't tell you how much stuff I've tossed on my second and third passes through a clutter spot. Also, got rid of my particle board bookcase today on Buy Nothing! Between that and my posterboard display (which hasn't gone away yet, but will either go away via Buy Nothing or Goodwill), I'm at 1158 lbs donated or tossed! That posterboard display, with all of the shelves, is 300 lbs on its own!

Nice! So it's not just me :) Great work on the decluttering also! I'd weigh my stuff, but we don't have a scale in the house at the moment. It broke several years ago and we never got around to replacing it.

I posted this on the odd chore thread too, but we finally got rid of my wife's old mountain bike today. I also took my scrap metal to the scrap yard today and made a cool $12 :D My wife also finally mailed a Christmas gift for a friend today. She needed a bigger box, but we haven't been able to find time to get one. We finally found the time to day and got that stuff out of the house.
Less is more.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4573 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
Packed up 4 bags for Goodwill :)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4574 on: February 27, 2017, 05:41:40 AM »
We visited my sister in her new house, which is the recipient of some stuff she had left with us last year, plus a video game accessory that we haven't used for years. Soon they will take our old dining room table and chairs, which will be another step towards a coherent exercise room.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4575 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
I finally got rid of some old bicycle tires and a bowling bag that was laying around in my basement. I also found a pretty big framed photo my wife got as a gift. The box is like 2'x3'. We were going to hang it but after looking at the photo subject, I'm not sure I want to bother hanging it. It's a decently composed photo, but I just don't think I want a photo of a bunch of cows grazing around a tree on our walls. I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to let me sell it.

I think we have been living with our clutter for so long, we have become blind to it. I have a couple of cabinets in our dining room I want to clear out that my wife thinks are fine. I'm pretty sure there is crap that can be sold, donated, or pitched, hiding there.
Less is more.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4576 on: February 27, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
I also found a pretty big framed photo my wife got as a gift. The box is like 2'x3'. We were going to hang it but after looking at the photo subject, I'm not sure I want to bother hanging it. It's a decently composed photo, but I just don't think I want a photo of a bunch of cows grazing around a tree on our walls. I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to let me sell it.

If it's a nice frame another option would be to replace the image with something you actually like.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4577 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »
It's bulk rubbish collection in our suburb this week, so we've got rid of an old computer (hard drive removed), rotting trellis, a heap of offcuts the last owners left from the floorboards, and a huge plastic sign thingy. Feels good to clear out the crap!

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4578 on: February 28, 2017, 03:11:02 AM »
I also found a pretty big framed photo my wife got as a gift. The box is like 2'x3'. We were going to hang it but after looking at the photo subject, I'm not sure I want to bother hanging it. It's a decently composed photo, but I just don't think I want a photo of a bunch of cows grazing around a tree on our walls. I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to let me sell it.

If it's a nice frame another option would be to replace the image with something you actually like.

That is certainly an option. It would have to be a really big print though. We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

I should be rid of my 'Buick Parking Only' novelty sign today. A friend of mine gave that to me as a gag gift when I was still rolling in a LeSabre. It is another item that has been collecting dust in my basement for years. I have a coworker that wants to buy it. He can have it.
Less is more.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4579 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »

That is certainly an option. It would have to be a really big print though.  *snip*

Well, there's always the big frame, small art option.  People will think you are a really avant-garde, minimalist decorator!
Because your toaster got hacked because you tried to watch porn on your blender.

6-year CPA currently on hiatus.  Botched this.  Working again. 
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4580 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

We have one photo on display (not of us, not of people), a framed print sitting on a sideboard.

Nothing on the walls. It's only been six months since we moved, don't want to rush into it...

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4581 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

We have one photo on display (not of us, not of people), a framed print sitting on a sideboard.

Nothing on the walls. It's only been six months since we moved, don't want to rush into it...

We've been in our house for a little over 9 years. We still haven't managed to make hanging photos happen. My wife has a couple of framed photos on a shelf, and that's about it.

I also finally got rid of my novelty 'Buick Parking Only' sign today :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:53:55 PM by mies »
Less is more.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4582 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:01 AM »
Got rid of two ratty old tshirts which were holey and stretched out. There were also some of my only remaining 'about the house' t shirts. Oh well, I have plenty of fabric and plenty of time. I was lacking the motivation to make any so I decided to get rid of the worn out stuff first, and create the motivation that way.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4583 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
i listed two bookshelves i don't want anymore.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4584 on: March 02, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »
Results of work from 2016: did my parents taxes. They were able to deduct $5k of noncash contributions on their itemized deductions. This is all thrift shop values, remember, so that's a TON of stuff.

Still a ton of stuff that they don't use. Unfortunately, much of it mom won't part with.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4585 on: March 02, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I ended up with about eight magazine racks from my old job.

I used them for a while then changed things around and don't use them.

So I'm going to bring them to work, where they will be put to use.

Now to actually bring them with me on the train...

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4586 on: March 02, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
As part of installing pantry lights today (One Odd Chore thread), cleared out 4 fixture boxes and 1 bulb box. Also got the go-ahead to get rid of the seltzer machine + 3-4 bottles. Down to one spare Costco box of kitchen trash bags, because I put the rest of the open box into the bottom of the trash can before inserting a new bag.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4587 on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »

We've been in our house for a little over 9 years. We still haven't managed to make hanging photos happen. My wife has a couple of framed photos on a shelf, and that's about it.

You know, I'm really glad to hear that there are other people like this!  The only reason we have some framed photos is because they were given to us that way. In fact, if I look around, I see that 99.9% of the decorative items in my house were not purchased by me, but were gifts. No wonder why nothing matches!

Anyway, I just gave away a big bag of toddler clothing and toys. I'm especially proud of having given away some wooden puzzles to the children's department of the library. Now, since I also got rid of the big blanket, you can almost open the guest room closet without things falling out on you!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4588 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
I've been away in a furnished apartment with just a few of my personal items for the psat two months. Going home tomorrow and I'm interested to see how I feel about the existing level of stuff after two months of fairly minimalist living.  I'm thinking I'll find some things to declutter.

Right now, I'm in a more expensive mode of decluttering, because I've always been a bargain hunter, and have ended up with such a hodge-podge of possessions as a result.  Before leaving, I put some random, uncomfortable shoes in my donate box, and have ordered some new shoes in fairly basic styles.  I'm getting rid of my horses' random saddle pads and replacing them with several of the same white pad. I want to get rid of my socks and buy many of the same color and style.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4589 on: March 04, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
After 18 months of purging I finally had one regret yesterday. My cellar and garage were a stockpile of tools from 2 generations. At a yardsale last summer I apparently sold ALL of the hand drills b/c I had 2 battery powered modern ones - a small light one, and a heavy-duty one. Well, I needed a drill for a quick job and both batteries were out of juice and needed charging. Not a tragedy but I do wish I had kept one hand drill.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4590 on: March 06, 2017, 02:46:00 AM »
Tossed a few big small bags of clothes from between the three of us. Trying to update my wardrobe, but it's hard when nothing wears out.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #4591 on: March 06, 2017, 04:48:32 AM »
I finally spent some change I had sitting on my bookshelf for the last 3 years. It was stuff the Coinstar machine wouldn't take like some super old pennies, an old dime, and a $.50 piece. I checked to see if they were worth anything more than their face value. Since they were in such poor shape, they were not. They are finally back in circulation.
Less is more.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4592 on: March 06, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
Got rid of two baby books people gave me (like the kind your record milestones, not the kind you read to baby- I'm trying to aquire those) and 2 barbies from the 90s.

The people who got them were thrilled to recieve them :)

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4593 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
I've been following along with this thread, and making some progress at home over the last few months. Recently I came across the "40 bags in 40 days" idea, and printed out the printable chart that accompanies it....wow!! turns out I'm a checklist junkie...and having to itemize 40 areas of the house to go through was difficult, but it makes you break down areas into more specific spots (eg...not just "kitchen" but "kitchen cabinets, kitchen drawers, etc" and really made me focus on clearing out each small area properly. I've only been doing it a few days and I've found 4 bags of items for donation, and 2 huge trash bags.

Eporedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just a gal in NW WI
« Reply #4594 on: March 06, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Yesterday I found a box in the closed were I saved all the greeting cards since I got married 13 yrs ago. I stopped this practice after my second child was born, thankfully. So, lots of paper to the recycling bin... and... I found 35$ cash and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

I found a few nice pictures and a birth certificate (ugh) moved those to my personal "keep" plastic bin in the basement.

I also found a nice cuisinart ice cream machine that I plan to ebay by next week, should net me 40-50$.

Progressing slowly and steady.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4595 on: March 06, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Sold DS's drum set on Craigslist for $150. That clears out most of the space for a demolition project in the home gym. Just a few minor items and the dining room table slated for my sister's house. Moved some snow tires, even though they are currently listed for sale.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4596 on: March 07, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »
I have a nice pile building by the front door for the charity pick up - 1/2 from the basement, 1/2 from the kids' rooms.  I'm determined to work through this stuff we don't need or want any more!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4597 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »

and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

You could call the person the check was from and see if they mind you cashing it.

I found an 12 year old check from my Uncle and called him to tell him I was going to tear it up, and he said "Oh- I think of you every time I balance my check register- see if the bank takes it."  They did; he finally got to mark it out of his check register, and I got $50 unexpectedly.

Eporedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just a gal in NW WI
« Reply #4598 on: March 07, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »

and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

Oh darn it. I did tear them up right away! Should have called, they are close relatives/friends. It will make up for a nice conversation piece next time I see them.

You could call the person the check was from and see if they mind you cashing it.

I found an 12 year old check from my Uncle and called him to tell him I was going to tear it up, and he said "Oh- I think of you every time I balance my check register- see if the bank takes it."  They did; he finally got to mark it out of his check register, and I got $50 unexpectedly.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4599 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it may be of help to those looking to get rid of possessions they no longer use/need.

http://www.theminimalists.com/game/