Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1026306 times)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4350 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »
So you are ready for the apocalypse!   ;-)
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4351 on: January 15, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Got rid of two more books through FB today, and one of them was really big, so that's good.

Aussies - there is a place called Quantum Technical Services in SA that recycles X-Rays. Apparently they contain silver. You can post them to them, so that's what I've done! Got quite the bundle together. Have to pay postage but that feels better than binning something useful.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4352 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
Cleaned out my food cupboard and the fridge. Recycled a couple glass jars. Tossed some brown rice that was rancid. I'm pretty sure it was rancid when I brought it home from the store, but I let it sit for months. Ugh. Gone now.

Boxed almost two dozen assorted sized mason jars. They'll sit in the closet for a couple months before I see my friend who cans, but now they won't clog my cupboard space.

Put my favorite (worn out and too big) sweater in the bag for textile recycling... we'll see if I can leave it there for a few weeks before I actually donate it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4353 on: January 16, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
Mezzie, Tris Prior, TomTX--thanks for the suggestions!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4354 on: January 16, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Huge dresser is gone! And I got my fixed bike in exchange. They'll be back for bookshelves soon, but it was too much to fit in their car in one trip.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4355 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
I am proud of myself. I had a bunch of female stuff I have no need for anymore (yay menopause!). I finally gathered it all up today and donated it to a women's shelter.

Doesn't sound like an accomplishment, but knocking on a stranger's door to announce "I have tampons" is not any introvert's ideal activity. I decided getting over it makes more sense than throwing that stuff in a landfill, when the shelter is a half mile from my house.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4356 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
I am proud of myself. I had a bunch of female stuff I have no need for anymore (yay menopause!). I finally gathered it all up today and donated it to a women's shelter.

Doesn't sound like an accomplishment, but knocking on a stranger's door to announce "I have tampons" is not any introvert's ideal activity. I decided getting over it makes more sense than throwing that stuff in a landfill, when the shelter is a half mile from my house.

You crack me up, Jakejake!

Congrats on the decluttering, environmentalism, and forced interaction with strangers. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4357 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

Good for you! I laughed at the "not an introvert's ideal activity" thing. =P I'm right there with you. Glad you overcame though!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #4358 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »
I'm starting to pack for a move in a few weeks and just set aside about fifty books to donate to the library.

Over the last year or so I've gone down from over five hundred books to less than a hundred.

It's curious how much easier is to let go of books I thought of as part of my identiy after a few rounds of 'does it spark joy?' introspection. I've loved each and every one of those books and re-read many several times but I also want to move forward.

To hedge a bit, I took photos of the bookshelves before I started sorting and packing.

Figured out that if worse comes to worse I'll print and frame the photos and will put them on the empty shelves :)

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4359 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »

You're welcome!

Now if I could just remember what I suggested....

Anyway, confirmed retention schedule on utility bills with the wife (1 year retention, plus final bill from any former utilties) - and yay, I got to shred!

Need to work out an arrangement on old credit card bills and bank statements next...
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4360 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »

You're welcome!

Now if I could just remember what I suggested....

Anyway, confirmed retention schedule on utility bills with the wife (1 year retention, plus final bill from any former utilties) - and yay, I got to shred!

Need to work out an arrangement on old credit card bills and bank statements next...

I just keep the last letter that says we've closed the credit card. I've also got a few paper folders with a shred date for things that we don't need to keep but DH isn't comfortable chucking!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4361 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Signed up for two more electronic bills yesterday. As far as I know, that only leaves one paper bill coming to the house!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4362 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
The food service sized container of dried parsley that I inherited in 2005 and then never used because dried parsley tastes like horse feed?

GONE!!!!!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4363 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Hit the local storage unit hard this weekend.  Emptied out another 15+ boxes.  Took two loads to local charity, have a box going to a resale shop.  Stuck now with the final few boxes that have sentimental items from my deceased parents -- letters, photos, documents etc.  I just pulled out my father's wallet out of the last pair of pants he wore.  All the coins in his pocket were from the 1990s.  My mother just kept it all and now that she is gone I have the task of doing it alone.  It sucks to lose both parents so young and this is one case where it also stinks being an only child.   My spouse is so supportive, but really can't help because it's paperwork and photos.  I just need to stop read through it all and make decisions.  I feel like there might be light at the end of this storage unit tunnel and then I realize that I have two more storage unit crates in another state... I'll get there, eventually!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4364 on: January 17, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
As part of my decluttering goal, I took a look at our small bookshelf (15 books after KMing) and decided to let go of my Harry Potter books. This is huge for me since I've loved and read them regularly but I now realize the large books don't give me joy anymore and I'd rather have Kindle versions of them so I can read them whenever I want. Passing on those books to my niece who is starting to get into Potter magic.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #4365 on: January 18, 2017, 12:30:53 AM »
Hit the local storage unit hard this weekend.  Emptied out another 15+ boxes.  Took two loads to local charity, have a box going to a resale shop.  Stuck now with the final few boxes that have sentimental items from my deceased parents -- letters, photos, documents etc.  I just pulled out my father's wallet out of the last pair of pants he wore.  All the coins in his pocket were from the 1990s.  My mother just kept it all and now that she is gone I have the task of doing it alone.  It sucks to lose both parents so young and this is one case where it also stinks being an only child.   My spouse is so supportive, but really can't help because it's paperwork and photos.  I just need to stop read through it all and make decisions.  I feel like there might be light at the end of this storage unit tunnel and then I realize that I have two more storage unit crates in another state... I'll get there, eventually!

Can I suggest scanning all the family photos. We did that with my grandmothers. Then we sorted out the ones that were relevant and added them to our screensaver so they pop up from time to time. The rest went into digital cold storage.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #4366 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:15 AM »
Can I suggest scanning all the family photos. We did that with my grandmothers. Then we sorted out the ones that were relevant and added them to our screensaver so they pop up from time to time. The rest went into digital cold storage.
+1

Google recently released an app called Photoscan that does exactly that.

The scans are great quality and it is free (except for the time it takes to scan). It's an Android app, not sure about iOS but Google releases many apps on both OSes.

There are also services that one can send photos to digitise but they tend to be expensive (I tried one years ago).

I've been scanning old family black and white photos from the 1920s and 1930s with the app and the scans look great.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4367 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
I've had 2 boxes in the living room that got added to as I found things to donate.  Yesterday I added a bit more to them, and the 2 full boxes and 3 boxes of books got dropped off.  Now I can start filling more boxes.

At first it was easy to fill the car with low-hanging fruit.  Some areas are getting visibly better, harder to declutter (I am sure in a month it will be obvious what still needs to go).  Other areas - lots to get rid of still, easy pickings.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4368 on: January 18, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
i'm making a promise to the internet that i'm taking out the donations and returns tomorrow.
i have another bag of things to donate (mainly clothes) and four more amazon returns.
i also emailed to get rid of my ex-roommate's stuff

Nederstash

• Stubble
« Reply #4369 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
got rid of 5 boxes of books! Didn't even know I had so many... and these were just the 'obvious outs'. Still have two more bookcases to sift through...

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #4370 on: January 18, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day. I've already cleaned my tiny closet out and kept like 2 nice tops for "dressing up" during FIRE.

I plan to take them up to my mom's house, she can chose what she wants to keep and the rest will GO.

I really, really wanted to have a burning party but that seems a waste for perfectly good clothes.

I am sure I will find something else work related to burn, cut up etc. Like my Badge I will definitely be shredding that the MINUTE I am home on friday!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4371 on: January 18, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day. I've already cleaned my tiny closet out and kept like 2 nice tops for "dressing up" during FIRE.

I plan to take them up to my mom's house, she can chose what she wants to keep and the rest will GO.

I really, really wanted to have a burning party but that seems a waste for perfectly good clothes.

I am sure I will find something else work related to burn, cut up etc. Like my Badge I will definitely be shredding that the MINUTE I am home on friday!

This is SO exciting!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4372 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4373 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day.
Woohooooo! Congratulations!

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4374 on: January 18, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Maybe you could help my wife...

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4375 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4376 on: January 18, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »

Would you like to experience a Canadian winter?  I am sure I will have stuff for you to have fun decluttering when you are done there.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4377 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:27 AM »

Maybe you could help my wife...

Well it's a bit like trying to help an addict, they have to *want* help.... ;) My sister is the complete opposite of me, a spender and hoarder and I have made no headway :( I've tidied up and helped to sell stuff but it reverts back as soon as I'm gone. 

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4378 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:38 AM »

Would you like to experience a Canadian winter?  I am sure I will have stuff for you to have fun decluttering when you are done there.

Ooo careful, I might take you up on that. Are you near a ski-field?

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4379 on: January 19, 2017, 02:22:04 AM »
I decluttered one big thing (a sofa, given away on TrashNothing) before Christmas.  I am still astonished and delighted by the change it has made to my sitting room, which looks bigger and lighter and is far, far easier to keep clean.

I have a box of bits and pieces ready to go to the charity shop, and there has been some decluttering of papers but not yet enough, partly because of the tax man's requirements and partly because of an unfinished research project I hope to get back to - I had to give up when I became a carer for three years and I'm not yet quite ready to acknowledge that going back to it may be wishful thinking.  Which I guess tells me how emotionally based my decisions about "stuff" are.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4380 on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
Since now my house clutter is mostly waiting on takers for the big stuff, I'm focusing on my classroom. Yesterday I avoided creating clutter by giving prospective students a password to access the handouts for my meeting instead of copying them. It worked really well. :)

I have the tops of two desks to declutter today.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4381 on: January 19, 2017, 05:47:38 AM »

Ooo careful, I might take you up on that. Are you near a ski-field?

Define "Near".  I am about 100km and a 1.5 hour drive to Mont Tremblant, but about 1/2 hour to a baby hill that is still not too bad.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4382 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Ugh, I really need to destash my makeup. But it is all opened and used so I've got to pitch it. It feels like literally throwing out money.

I have a bunch of skincare stuff too that's meant to address all my skin problems (blotchiness, wrinkles) but never really worked.

SO wasteful! :( Also, how on earth did I end up with this many gray eyeshadows?

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4383 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
I inventoried my freezers (yes "s")...and made a plan.  Threw away lots of old bread and unfortunately some meat and expensive items as well - but I wasn't going to eat them.  My goal is to completely empty the second freezer and turn it off/sell it on Craigslist after I prove to myself I don't need/want it.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4384 on: January 19, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Ugh, I really need to destash my makeup. But it is all opened and used so I've got to pitch it. It feels like literally throwing out money.

I have a bunch of skincare stuff too that's meant to address all my skin problems (blotchiness, wrinkles) but never really worked.

SO wasteful! :( Also, how on earth did I end up with this many gray eyeshadows?
I hear you. This morning, I threw away some facial moisturizers from a costly, well known brand from my preMMM days because they had turned rancid. They might have stayed intact but I had used 1/10th and left the remaining (beats me why I didn't finish one before I started the next) in the jar. Waste of $$$ :(

KBecks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4385 on: January 19, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
I worked on my email inbox and the paper clutter today.  Was terrified I misplaced our property tax stuff, but found it.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4386 on: January 19, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
Good work everyone!

Last weekend, I put away the lawnmower :-O. My wife cleared out all the old sheets from the guest bedroom! I plumped up the dog's bed with a few, took a bunch of white ones for the rag bag, and chucked the rest. My son cleared his junk from the guest bedroom! That allowed me to continue to declutter my office. Of course, the day after I picked up my new prescription sunglasses, I found my old glasses, which had a sunglasses clip.

Recycled or tossed a badly chipped mixing bowl, a bunch of mismatched/damaged water bottles/caps, some coffee cups, and some beer glasses (thanked them VERY much for their service :-). Moved some holey dish towels to the rag bag, but there is still work to be done. Son gave wife several new ones for Christmas.

Cleaned out several drains, and found my screwdriver and bits right where I had left them. So they are back where they belong, and the hair clog and ankle-deep shower water clutter is gone.

Working on eating down a few leftover holiday items. Will continue working on the office, as it is looking really good with the reduced clutter.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4387 on: January 19, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Yesterday I cleared out the pantry. I threw two or three infested things and made a list of meals to use up bits that aren't our usual staples so would otherwise be forgotten. I have left a few things out on the counter purposefully to annoy me until I use them.

Tonight is laksa and margarita night! We are using up an inch of tequila bought for a get together many many moons ago. We happen to have triple sec in the cupboard, which I believe came from someone else's house when they left the country about eight years ago.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4388 on: January 19, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
Husband bought batteries at the airport because he "couldn't find" them in the cord cupboard. (I wasn't home.)

That's it. I'm going scorched earth on that cupboard this weekend.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4389 on: January 19, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
Husband bought batteries at the airport because he "couldn't find" them in the cord cupboard. (I wasn't home.)

Yay!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4390 on: January 20, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »

Yay!

Yay!

I've had a busy morning!

Sorted out the cable cupboard, then rearranged parts of the linen cupboard.

The score:

Donated: three pairs of husband's jeans, one polo shirt, four books, and two DVDs.

Tossed: six cables, an old router, some paperwork, dead batteries, and a book.

I also put together a bag of things for a family member (things she has requested; I'm not just dumping stuff on her), and put aside six magazine files for my husband to take to work.

I reorganised the shelves to group like with like, and separated some cables into ziplocks to make life easier in the future.

Now to condense the contents of (wince) four external hard drives...

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4391 on: January 20, 2017, 06:52:59 PM »
I found yet MORE stuff to give away to students. They were happy, as was I. :)

I also did more purging in my classroom. I could have done more had it not been raining; I'll have to wait for clear skies to deliver things across campus to those who will make use of them, but at least I've got them ready to go.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4392 on: January 20, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Now to condense the contents of (wince) four external hard drives...

If you need it, there are a variety of free duplicate file finders that may assist.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4393 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
We rearranged our storage so that our DVDs and video games are now visible on a bookshelf, while my exercise gear and our board games are tucked under the TV. After having them out for an hour, DH started going through the DVDs and I joined him - and I think we cut our collection back by 10+ items! That's about 20%+ of what we have. I'm extremely pleased, and I think we'll actually watch the remaining ones more now we can see them.

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #4394 on: January 21, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
Yesterday I sold a piece of home gym equipment that I bought several years ago, have hardly used since and have been telling myself to get rid of for at least several months. Though I knew it wouldn't sell for much after allowing for the postage cost I still wanted to sell it so somebody would use it rather than it just becoming scrap metal and recycling. So I was pleased today after dropping it off at the courier collection point, only a small bit of clutter really but did feel like a little source of stress in my life was gone.

Now need to do the same with three old/in parts laptops, which hopefully at least are worth enough that I can give some money to charity from their sale.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #4395 on: January 21, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
I reorganised the shelves to group like with like, and separated some cables into ziplocks to make life easier in the future.
I saw someone at work using bull clips to keep cables organised and immediately stole the idea.

It's made my life so much easier with the multiple charging cables I have around the place.

Basically, it looks something like this:

http://www.marciafrancois.com/blog/2011/08/12/how-do-you/

[ETA: that's not my blog, just a random website with photos of what the cables look like :) ]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:28:40 PM by Eirene »

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4396 on: January 21, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
I saw someone at work using bull clips to keep cables organised and immediately stole the idea.

It's made my life so much easier with the multiple charging cables I have around the place.

Basically, it looks something like this:

http://www.marciafrancois.com/blog/2011/08/12/how-do-you/

I just use elastic bands for the ones in the cupboard, but this could be good for others. We have three chargers plugged in together and to stop them getting tangled they all feed through a small carabiner half way up. We also use the bread tag method to label wires on a power board so you know what you're switching on and off. Just write the name on a bread tag and attach to the cable near the plug.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4397 on: January 22, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
Decluttered 3 large bags of clothes, 3 boxes of books, and 2 boxes of miscellany to donate, and a few bags of rubbish. DS and DD were enlisted and half of DD wardrobe was wiped out clean and all the clothes tidied, and the floor of half DS's.

The house looks no different : sooner or later it must get better.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4398 on: January 22, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
I was planning on replacing some bookcases I'm offloading to siblings with nicer ones, but now I'm wondering if there's a chance I can just declutter or rearrange 2 bookcases worth of stuff. That's the dream...
Nope, couldn't decluttered the problem away; needed new bookcases to free up space in a dresser so it can become the baby's. So, technically the only furniture we've had to source for the baby has been the cot; I've wanted to replace those bookshelves for ages regardless.

The bookcases, a couch, shoe rack, mirror, office chair and some spatulas have been picked up by the siblings and I'm told they're excited about using them!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4399 on: January 22, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
Decluttered 3 large bags of clothes, 3 boxes of books, and 2 boxes of miscellany to donate, and a few bags of rubbish. DS and DD were enlisted and half of DD wardrobe was wiped out clean and all the clothes tidied, and the floor of half DS's.

The house looks no different : sooner or later it must get better.

It will. My bookcase is still full so at first I didn't really notice a difference but then a few days later it seemed like the books had a bit of breathing space. Looks much better I realise now.

My big wins were in the kitchen. Storing chopping boards, baking trays and racks vertically in a dish rack thingy from IKEA in a cupboard has changed my life!