Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 983971 times)

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4300 on: January 08, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
Final day of going through 'papers' as part of my Marie Kondo quest. It was the mysterious kitchen top drawer today, aka the junk drawer. I found a receipt from car hire in 2011. We moved to this house in 2013. Glad I kept that...

I haven't filed away the warranties I need to keep yet but I've done all the sorting and the drawer is now almost empty. The rest of the junk (used batteries! Rusty paper clips!) will wait til near the end of the big quest. It's not difficult to sort, it's just gross. I've saved a couple of gift boxes which will make four trays to keep necessary odds and ends tidy.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4301 on: January 09, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »
Nora -- do you have a local Sierra Club chapter? Someone may appreciate the backpack there. Also check your local community college; mine has a backpacking course, and the backpack itself is easily the most expensive part of it. The teacher might be able to use it as a loaner.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #4302 on: January 09, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Who watched The Simpsons last night? 😀

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4303 on: January 09, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
Growing up, everyone I knew used their garage for storage. I don't think I saw a car actually parked in a garage until my mid-twenties. So, to combat that bad association, I've made a short list of what can be in the garage:
- washer & dryer
- vehicles (cars, bikes, wheelchairs, scooters)
- tools
- PA system and amps (musicians here)
- board games (will be moved to office closet when it becomes an office again; we have renters)
- toy box for visiting nieces and nephews (same as above)
- camping equipment
- emergency water stores
- wok station and barbecue

The end.

I'm actually pretty close to this once I get the furniture gone.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4304 on: January 09, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »

I can't do porch pickup for Freecycle - high-crime neighborhood; it'd get immediately stolen. :( I envy people who can do this.

There's your answer. Anything you are happy to give away for free... do so by putting it on your porch.

I'm serious. I had some garden furniture I didn't want. Left it at a friend's* house who has had things go missing with a sign that said 'Free' to assuage any guilt felt by non-thieves who wanted it. Sorted.

*with agreement! In fact it was their suggestion. I live in the middle of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:34:20 AM by theadvicist »

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #4305 on: January 09, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
We are in a small village, touristy in the summer and fall, and use the curb as our porch.  DH painted "FREE" on an old shingle which we used many times to deaccession things; works like a charm, usually in a few hours.  Last time, someone also nabbed the free sign...

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4306 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »
There's your answer. Anything you are happy to give away for free... do so by putting it on your porch.

Yeah, we "donate" stuff to the alley often, and it gets picked up pretty frequently. Could switch that to the front porch to add that extra illicit thrill of stealing. Our current landlord doesn't live in the building like our old one did so we could do this (old landlord would not have been OK with us leaving our crap on the porch).

Still not OK doing that with a weapon, though. BUT, might have another taker from one of the FB groups? Stay tuned....

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4307 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree it's not a good idea with the sword! How about your local police station? They might take it to 'get a weapon off the streets'. Or scrap dealer? Though I guess it depends what's walkable to you, as I agree about the public transport thing. Though bin bags might make it look even more suspicious.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4308 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
I'm slowly sorting through things again.  I cleaned out about a quarter of our bathroom.  It's insane how many random items and almost empty boxes we kept. 

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4309 on: January 09, 2017, 08:16:23 PM »
Got rid of the extra mattress!

This is huge and wonderful!  The city will pick it up for free. When I called to schedule it today they told me to put it out tonight and they would come within 5 days.  I seriously hope that means tomorrow.

Moved a power strip so that now the loveseat will hide the unsightly cords.

Rearranged socks and underwear drawers. Getting rid of 11 items.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4310 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:07 PM »
Have gone through my cook books and got rid of 6. Now I can store the iron in the same cupboard above the fridge without everything falling out on my head when I try to get it out.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4311 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:29 AM »
Have gone through my cook books and got rid of 6. Now I can store the iron in the same cupboard above the fridge without everything falling out on my head when I try to get it out.

I have found this to be the best thing of all about decluttering! The bathroom, the utility, the kitchen. No more open-cupboard-crouch-and-brace. Just, open the cupboard!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4312 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Looks like someone is going to pick up the sword tomorrow! Fingers crossed that she actually shows up....

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4313 on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
I'm going to try and consolidate my paper files into a single bin that I keep in my closet and get rid of the filing cabinet.  It matches the desk that I am listing for sale, so hopefully they will sell as a set.

I'm planning to list my desk chair as well.  Any ideas on how to best sell it? - it's an expensive chair that costs around $700 new. 

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #4314 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
The problem with free (and with facebook in general) is that you bring out all the flakes who know that they have no real commitment (what are you going to do?  Ask for a deposit for a $0 item?).  I put stuff on Craigslist at a very low price.  3 chairs?  $15.  3 tires?  $15.  Local pickup.....you come to me or to my work.  I've sold thousands of things on Craigslist and that's the best way to work it.  Free doesn't work (are you sure it's worth my gas from Cambridge?  Can you hold it till I can get a ride from my girlfriend's father's bosses son?  No.  Come to my house and give me $15 and I know that someone who has an actual use for the thing will come pick it up.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4315 on: January 10, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
If I post anything for free, I usually just leave the stuff outside my house so that I don't have to waste time dealing with the flakes.  If they come and pick it up then great, if not, I relist it.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4316 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
I've had way more flakes on paid items than free ones.
Though I put free things on the porch, they have always been claimed.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4317 on: January 10, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
I have pretty good success getting rid of things on freecycle, possibly because I give first choice to people who are polite enough to ask "please" and say "thank you".  They tend to be more considerate about no-shows than the guy who writes "yeah I'll take that".

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4318 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
Headed back over to the storage unit.  One more box out of there!

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #4319 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »

Here it is: http://www.fox.com/watch/849850435762/7684601088

Should be worth a few LOLs for this crowd.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4320 on: January 10, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Today's mission is jam jars, candles, light bulbs and under the kitchen sink.

Will also cut up some old tees used for rags into proper squares so they are easier to store folded in my new drawer that I emptied the other day.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4321 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
I was planning on replacing some bookcases I'm offloading to siblings with nicer ones, but now I'm wondering if there's a chance I can just declutter or rearrange 2 bookcases worth of stuff. That's the dream...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4322 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:45 AM »
Thrift store coming to pick up 3 boxes and 3 bags of misc. household goods and clothing ... its all out on my porch for the a.m. pickup!

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4323 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Decluttering could be considered my new addiction...I've been at it for a long time, but it's always a work in progress. Before Christmas I posted a bunch of items on Facebook buy and sell groups, and did well. Donated some older toys, so that Santa had room to bring a few new ones. Over the holidays I went through the kids dressers and took out all the too small clothing, along with items they rarely wear. Hubby and I did the same. We sent 3 huge bags to the local thrift shop. We also attacked our basement storage room, and sent many more items to the shop, along with two large bags to the dump.

My new routine after the kids are in bed is walking through the house going...hmmm...what else can I get rid of? Last night I happened upon a post in a local buy nothing group asking for young boys clothes - was able to pull together a bunch for a local mom in need, and threw in some toys as well.

On top of that, someone is coming to pick up an old purse I had posted...left it out on my front step this morning, and when I get home from work, there will be $25 sitting in my mailbox for me.

Next step is selling some of the rubbermaid plastic bins we used to store unnecessary crap in!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4324 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
TOgirl, getting rid of all our excess stuff may mean there is a glut of plastic storage containers on the market!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4325 on: January 11, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
Yesterday was very successful. Threw out a bunch of take away container lids and  jars I'd kept but won't use for food storage. Found someone to take candles I won't use. Also found three cleaning fluid bottles with about a tablespoon in each!

So now I've made the space for the under cupboard bin and also freed up another kitchen drawer. All the dogs medicines and bowls etc are going to move in there, so today's job is sorting through his stuff. That will free up a cupboard for my camera bag that currently lives on the study floor. Yay!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4326 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Your attention please:

THE SWORD HAS LEFT THE BUILDING. :D Picked up this evening. Hooray!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4327 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »
Went through a pile of papers, trashed half of them, scanned and trashed the remaining half and put away some of them in our filebox for tax purposes. So  nice to see a clear table and all the to-do stuff corralled into one small box.

Also caught up on greeting cards finally.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4328 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
Your attention please:

Hooray!

I seem to have broken my shredder :( It's well and truly jammed so I'll get the pliers out. What a pain! In better news, I've sorted another kitchen drawer and chucked out 4 IKEA tape measures and random bits.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4329 on: January 12, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Arranged for Brother to get his WEIRD sized mattress back. (California Queen). This will open up the office so I can get back to other decluttering! Unfortunately it's still a couple weeks until pickup, but at least the end is in sight.

Your attention please:

Woohoo!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4330 on: January 12, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
We have a cross continent move next year (or worst case the year after). Even though we knew this day might come some time, now that timeline is more concrete. So I'm concentrating on letting go of what we won't use in the next two years. Made a list of items I want to tackle sooner than later (we are welcoming baby in June) so I can get through it when I have more time for it. But the move is also intimidating since it means we'll be moving with two toddlers and will have some large items (beds, sofa, cars) that we'd need to hold till the end but most others can go sooner. My plan is to get the clothes and toys out as the baby outgrows them and try not to buy new clothes or stuff if we can help it. Would be harder to do it for my eldest though.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4331 on: January 12, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
I am joining in on this.

I have so much car stuff that I've accumulated that needs to go.  I'm also returning it to a closer to stock condition and will be selling those parts, also.

We will also be getting rid of as much stuff as possible soon to make our move easier.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4332 on: January 12, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
I still haven't done the cords and cables cupboard.

Husband went through it last night looking for something and was making very obvious noises of frustration and displeasure.

(Most of it is his stuff or he has been the hold up because we might need that cable one day. *rolls eyes*)

So when I heard him muttering away, I said, 'Yeah, it's awful in there, we really should sort it out. Make it easier to find what we need.'

He thought that was a great idea.

(Part of the problem is that I don't know what some of these cables and cords are for. My new system is to tag any new ones with washi tape to prevent the situation getting worse.)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4333 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
3 skirts and 2 dresses in the goodwill bag. 1 pair of leggings cut up for rags.

I sew, and I really struggle to know when something is worn out or too big. I can always make adjustments and make it fit!  These pieces I chose tonight are all things I made or customized and though they are all too big I could rework them... but I haven't even wanted to wear them in several years. I told myself that the next time i goodwill shop i will look for a skirt that coordinates with my
Current wardrobe.  One skirt that fits and is easy to wear instead of this difficult pile of skirts and dresses.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4334 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »

Husband went through it last night looking for something and was making very obvious noises of frustration and displeasure.

(Most of it is his stuff or he has been the hold up because we might need that cable one day. *rolls eyes*)

So when I heard him muttering away, I said, 'Yeah, it's awful in there, we really should sort it out. Make it easier to find what we need.'

(Part of the problem is that I don't know what some of these cables and cords are for. My new system is to tag any new ones with washi tape to prevent the situation getting worse.)

I think the cords and cables drawer is the hardest. I'm insisting hubby and I do it together. We have millions of discs for software but our current laptop has no disc drive... We also have an old laptop that needs clearing off and recycling but it's too painful a job so a year after we bought a new one, still not done.

I have attached tags to a lot of cables, but when you look at them, many fit multiple devices/ purposes. I don't the names of the cables but there is one with a USB one end  and a small thingy the other end and it fits both cameras and some phone or other. Maybe I can rid of a couple, but then if one splits...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4335 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

I think the cords and cables drawer is the hardest. I'm insisting hubby and I do it together. We have millions of discs for software but our current laptop has no disc drive... We also have an old laptop that needs clearing off and recycling but it's too painful a job so a year after we bought a new one, still not done.

I have attached tags to a lot of cables, but when you look at them, many fit multiple devices/ purposes. I don't the names of the cables but there is one with a USB one end  and a small thingy the other end and it fits both cameras and some phone or other. Maybe I can rid of a couple, but then if one splits...

I give you Michael McIntyre on The Man Drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUpDGAIdds

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4336 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »

I give you Michael McIntyre on The Man Drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUpDGAIdds

DH and I quite enjoyed that. Although he visibly winced at the battery part. He's the anti-ManDrawer I guess =P
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4337 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »
The Man Drawer is hilarious - so true!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #4338 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »

Funny thing is that decluttering cables have become so much easier over the last few years. I have reduced my cables to basically this bunch:

1. USB Cables - I kept 2 of every type of usb connector.
2. 1 VGA Cable (the blue one) as a backup in case somebody shows up with old stuff
3. 1 DVI Cable (the white) in case somebody show up with not-so-old stuff.
4. 6 standard power cables (may be a bit much)
5. All the HDMI cables I had (about 3-4 extra)
6. All Cat 5E or better network cables
7. 1 roll of loudspeaker cable
8. 5 assorted audio cables (coax, optical...)
9. 4-5 usb sticks of at least 1 gigabyte

This fits nicely in a small drawer and I have never wanted for a second cable. I have also thrown away all old software on cds, I have no machines that can read them anyway so they are effectively useless.

Really at this point everything is USB, network and HDMI if you're dealing with digital stuff. So just dump the rest.

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #4339 on: January 13, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »

Here it is: http://www.fox.com/watch/849850435762/7684601088

Should be worth a few LOLs for this crowd.
I so want to watch that if/when it becomes availalble on Hulu (Fox wants a cable sign in to watch which I don't have).

The wikipedia summary starts with "Marge is inspired by a Japanese book on minimalism to adapt to a new way of living" which rings a bell :)

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4340 on: January 13, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »

Funny thing is that decluttering cables have become so much easier over the last few years. I have reduced my cables to basically this bunch:

1. USB Cables - I kept 2 of every type of usb connector.
2. 1 VGA Cable (the blue one) as a backup in case somebody shows up with old stuff
3. 1 DVI Cable (the white) in case somebody show up with not-so-old stuff.
4. 6 standard power cables (may be a bit much)
5. All the HDMI cables I had (about 3-4 extra)
6. All Cat 5E or better network cables
7. 1 roll of loudspeaker cable
8. 5 assorted audio cables (coax, optical...)
9. 4-5 usb sticks of at least 1 gigabyte

This fits nicely in a small drawer and I have never wanted for a second cable. I have also thrown away all old software on cds, I have no machines that can read them anyway so they are effectively useless.

Really at this point everything is USB, network and HDMI if you're dealing with digital stuff. So just dump the rest.

This is what I'm struggling with! We had a pile of cables and cords in the office. I asked hubby to go through them and figure out what we need. I came home to them all separated out on the floor. No less of them, and not organized....just...spread out. Tempted to toss the whole bunch!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4341 on: January 13, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
Mailed 2 unwanted posters to a friend (she paid shipping); crappy poster frames "donated" to the alley.

Tossed another stack of paper from the filing cabinet. Why did I have entire file of vet expenses for the cat who died in 2011?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4342 on: January 14, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
I was able to volunteer to house some records at my school since my file cabinets are getting emptier and emptier. I may be able to get rid of a work file cabinet by the end of the year (people are always scrambling for them), freeing up some valuable space in my middle room. I no longer keep anything in bins; everything is in a file drawer or on a shelf (or on my desk, which is still a mess, but I'm getting to that soon!). I have a table and two large awesome teacher desks in my classroom. I'd like to move one of my desks to the middle room and rearrange some things to allow more room for the Chromebook cart that's a fairly new addition and really doesn't fit.

At home I need to do some more culling in the one file drawer in my office for financial records. I had a Cingular contract in there. How many years ago did that company disappear?

Things are going well.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4343 on: January 14, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
We did the cable drawer (man drawer!) and now have a bag full of recycling. I'm not really sure who takes misc cables in Australia. Phones and chargers are easy so maybe I'll put then all in a mobile phone bin? I found two phones as well!

Listed 2 more things on FB for free. No bites so will put on gumtree.

I'm going to google uses for old CDs as I have 15+ software discs...

Today's job is cleaning up and listing some kitchen stuff that should go for decent $$$.

PerpetualWanderlust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4344 on: January 14, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
Two bags of clothes. Donated everything I haven't worn in the last year.

Feels great.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4345 on: January 14, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
I have craigslist takers lined up for all my foreign language books!

Languages either I or my daughter have taken up over the years: Sign language, Latin, Polish, Russian, Italian, Spanish. Also German and French, but at least I don't have the books for them anymore.

And, ironically, I have no use for any of those languages now - but here in my hometown in the midwest, depending where I shop, people just assume I speak Arabic. It's so common here, at one point a woman behind me in line at the grocery store started reading something in Arabic from the checkout line magazine rack - and when I couldn't understand her, she asked "Really?! Where are you from?"

I might have to hit up youtube or the library and get some basic phrases down.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4346 on: January 14, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
Took 4 30 gallon trash bags to Goodwill full of outgrown toys clothing and books from the three kiddos. I also threw in an unneeded Christmas gift- a cheapo blender from Walmart.

The kids rooms look so. much. better.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4347 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Donated some cookbooks and am going through my stash of food magazines and the newspaper clippings of recipes that my mother keeps sending me. I can find pretty much any recipe I want on the Internet so no reason to keep these.

A big stack is getting recycled, and as an added bonus, I found some of my grandmother's holiday recipe cards that I couldn't find at Christmastime!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4348 on: January 15, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4349 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
ahahahhaha!

I just folded my socks last night!