Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 938580 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4200 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »
Tris, I would give yourself permission to put it in the regular trash. The powers that be have said it doesn't get recycled if you put it in the recycling (wtf I know) so you won't actually be making anything worse. If there's not enought room in your bin, do you have an outdoor area or friends house where you might be able to have a little bonfire and burn it? Huge stack could be gone in 15 minutes and VERY secure :) Again, not the perfect environmental solution but you have tried your best.

This thread comes to a similar conclusion - in many cases recycling does as more or more damage to the environment than tossing stuff in the trash: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/recycling-debate/
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4201 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes usually for students and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
A few were mobi files and are now on my Kindle.
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4202 on: December 31, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes usually for students and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

Fabulous! Yes, I've done it for a lot of things for work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4203 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:20 AM »
I've decided to try The Minimalism Game with my husband and kids (aged 9 and up) in preparation for moving in the spring. Printed off a January calendar for each of us. Will modify for kids where they do 1 item the first day, 2 the second day, etc and then start back on day 1 for each week of the month.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4204 on: January 02, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
I tried the minimalist game in December, but I had trouble sticking to the low numbers. It went something like this: 1, 2, 3, 584...

Once the ball was rolling, I couldn't stop.

I'm at a pause right now only because the CDs I want to get rid of are behind some heavy things I can't move, and my husband is sick, so I want to wait to ask him for help after he feels better.

Yesterday, though, I made incredible progress in the file cabinet of college memories. I'm down to one drawer, not completely filled, and the rest I'm putting into a plastic storage bin so I can get rid of the file cabinet. That takes considerably less room, so I don't feel bad about hanging onto what I'm keeping. My guess is I can still probably cut it in half, but not right now. I know when I'm beaten.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4205 on: January 02, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Friend came over for a craft day yesterday. She left with a giant bag stuffed with fabric. I let her dig through the bins and take whatever she wanted.  Some of it was my "favorites" but I have too much, so I didn't wince and let it go.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4206 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... drinking through my tea stash before I buy any new tea!!

+1. I have a Serious Tea Problem. And some of it I don't even like. I think I'm taking the stuff I don't like to work; I'll set it out in the lunchroom and someone will drink it.

I'm still working on the filing cabinet. I have tossed more greeting cards, utility bills from three apartments ago, and a whole file folder of bills and statements for my last cat's final illness (he died in 2011).

Not certain about whether I should keep some paperwork. Like, do I need the bill of sale from a car I sold privately more than 15 years ago? I'm thinking not, but is there some reason I'd need to prove I don't own it any more? And, what about certificates of creditable coverage from the health insurance I had at past jobs? I have a whole stack of these, because at most of my past jobs our insurance carrier changed annually since the companies were small and trying to outrun big premium increases. Am I OK with just keeping the most recent of these, or in a Trump presidency am I going to have to prove that I never had a gap in coverage, if I lose my job and have to go on whatever Obamacare is replaced with?

Struggling with what to do with my "attagirl" folder - basically, thank-you notes I got when I was a lifestyle reporter for a tiny newspaper in the suburbs, performance reviews from past jobs, other evidence that I did well at long-ago jobs. There is a lot and the folder is pretty thick. I don't have a scanner or else I'd just scan everything and toss the originals. Phone photos, maybe?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4207 on: January 02, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
I haven't even thought about tea yet! I have so much, and now I'm on medication that doesn't allow me any caffeine. I think I'll donate it to the work lounge.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4208 on: January 02, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... drinking through my tea stash before I buy any new tea!!

+1. I have a Serious Tea Problem. And some of it I don't even like. I think I'm taking the stuff I don't like to work; I'll set it out in the lunchroom and someone will drink it.

I'm still working on the filing cabinet. I have tossed more greeting cards, utility bills from three apartments ago, and a whole file folder of bills and statements for my last cat's final illness (he died in 2011).

Not certain about whether I should keep some paperwork. Like, do I need the bill of sale from a car I sold privately more than 15 years ago? I'm thinking not, but is there some reason I'd need to prove I don't own it any more? And, what about certificates of creditable coverage from the health insurance I had at past jobs? I have a whole stack of these, because at most of my past jobs our insurance carrier changed annually since the companies were small and trying to outrun big premium increases. Am I OK with just keeping the most recent of these, or in a Trump presidency am I going to have to prove that I never had a gap in coverage, if I lose my job and have to go on whatever Obamacare is replaced with?

Struggling with what to do with my "attagirl" folder - basically, thank-you notes I got when I was a lifestyle reporter for a tiny newspaper in the suburbs, performance reviews from past jobs, other evidence that I did well at long-ago jobs. There is a lot and the folder is pretty thick. I don't have a scanner or else I'd just scan everything and toss the originals. Phone photos, maybe?

Genius Scan is the app my work has us use. Converts scans to PDFs and saves them. The other option is evernote. I've used both and love them both. =) Good luck. I think "attagirl" folders are great. I keep mine too- clinical and work reviews, thank you notes, that sort of thing.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4209 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Visiting my parents yesterday I let them know I am taking a load to the reuse centre and asked what I can take for them. Went away with a bag from them and a commitment that both our families will go through more items for the next donation load.

I'm finding it much easier to put aside a few items each day by having some dedicated 'collection' boxes for donate, re-use centre, and a 'burn' box. My next project will probably be a swap with friends to get rid of some nicer items. I don't really need or want anything new though - so may be more work than it's worth.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #4210 on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
I went through two moving sized boxes of old photos and managed to get rid of one of them. These were photos of people I thought it desperately important to take pictures of when I was in middle school and high school, but now I can't even tell you their names or why I would know them. Still plenty of pictures left to go through, but huge progress.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #4211 on: January 02, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
I went through two moving sized boxes of old photos and managed to get rid of one of them. These were photos of people I thought it desperately important to take pictures of when I was in middle school and high school, but now I can't even tell you their names or why I would know them. Still plenty of pictures left to go through, but huge progress.

Just did the same thing with my digital photos.  If there aren't any people that are immediate family members or close friends in the photo, it's gone.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #4212 on: January 02, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work. Planning to do the same with groceries we have accidentally doubled up on and won't get through in the next year (eg two huge bottles of fish sauce when one has lasted us two years already).

Need to do a wardrobe sweep now I have switched to summer clothes and pass on anything that no longer suits. Maybe tonight.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #4213 on: January 02, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work. Planning to do the same with groceries we have accidentally doubled up on and won't get through in the next year (eg two huge bottles of fish sauce when one has lasted us two years already).

Need to do a wardrobe sweep now I have switched to summer clothes and pass on anything that no longer suits. Maybe tonight.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4214 on: January 02, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
By means of donating, giving to friends, throwing out, and depositing, I have offloaded a TV, a couple of chargers, two small models, a bag of clothes, and a bowl full of change.

I cleared unopened bottles of wine, champagne and soft drink from my fridge and stashed them in a cupboard. The booze will likely be regifted.

Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work.

I love this idea! Waste not...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4215 on: January 02, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Brought some of the Christmas leftover snacks to my ILs when we visited this weekend. New place and they had no food. So it's a win-win.

On the other hand, my mom visited... and brought a box full of Christmas decor >.<
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

mrsstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4216 on: January 02, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Jumping in. Today, got rid of some old shoes, cosmetics, miscellaneous stuff that wasn't being used. Not a ton of stuff, but you've got to start somewhere, right? I'm aiming to do a little every day until my life is clutter free.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4217 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Jumping in. Today, got rid of some old shoes, cosmetics, miscellaneous stuff that wasn't being used. Not a ton of stuff, but you've got to start somewhere, right? I'm aiming to do a little every day until my life is clutter free.

That's a great start, mrsstache. Keep up the good work.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4218 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »
I have got rid of a bag of kitchen things for free on FB - well nearly - someone needs to pick them up. I find when I give away free stuff people are quite flaky, not turning up, or saying that they want something on a public post but not expending the energy to message me to find out the pick up address. Awkward.

I've now freed up a kitchen drawer which in the long run will mean we can have an under-sink in-cupboard bin. We don't really have floorspace for a bin so it kind of gets in the way.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4219 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

I am starting the year off with the Minimalism Game. On the first day of January I got rid of one thing. Today I donated two things. Tomorrow, three things. So on and so on until at the end of the month I will find 30 things to dispose of on the 30th. I try to sell, donate, or recycle things first, and only toss what can't be reused.

Why not join in? It is fun to report on your progress.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4220 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
I've now freed up a kitchen drawer which in the long run will mean we can have an under-sink in-cupboard bin. We don't really have floorspace for a bin so it kind of gets in the way.

Awesome. Love when decluttering results in a win like that.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4221 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
Rearranged the crib area, got rid of some boxes and covers and got all paper to one area that I'll go through tomorrow. Also set to clear up two closets tomorrow.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4222 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »

I kept wearing them around the house. The elastic gave out so much I was using a hair elastic to ratchet them on. Then there was a bleach incident and the holey khaki fabric became white and pink at the ankles.

It was time.

:(

My husband brought me some trousers to 'mend' yesterday. He was like, "there's a hole here, if you could just patch it. But maybe extend the patch up? It's already thin here". I asked about the other leg, I had already patched it, but where the patch ended it was weak and maybe they needed a further strenghtening patch there. And since I was already at it, this part needs reinforcing too.

In the end I was like, "so basically just make you a new pair of trousers, but inside this pair?". Apparently they are his favourites.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4223 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
Sold another item on Craigslist yesterday.  I still have a few things listed but they fell way down so I will repost them this week.  Got the new Marie Kondo book from the library to give me some fresh motivation to continue with my efforts. 

I am planning to put together another batch of clothing for consignment this week.  There are definitely things in my closet that I don't wear.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4224 on: January 03, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

If any of you need assistance with Calibre, I can help. I've been using it and my kindle (and tablets) consistently for over 5 years. I've yet to find anything it can't do. I have over 6000 books in my library.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4225 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

What would you all do? Has anyone dealt with this?

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4226 on: January 03, 2017, 11:03:46 AM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

Tell her that you can't sell the stuff and if she doesn't pick it up by [some reasonable date in the future] that you're going to donate it. Then follow through.

Lying will just encourage her to give you more stuff.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4227 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
Tell her that you can't sell the stuff and if she doesn't pick it up by [some reasonable date in the future] that you're going to donate it. Then follow through.

Lying will just encourage her to give you more stuff.

Yeah, she won't come to me. I live in the Big Scary City where there is Crime so therefore she will not drive here. I wish she would come pick it up.... but she won't. I do worry that if I lied and said it sold, I'd just be encouraging more Crap to come into my house. (sometimes she mails it to me, as she will not drive to my apartment -- ugh.) You've definitely got a good point there.

If I tell her I am donating it, I'll just have to be prepared for a whole torrent of verbal abuse to be unleashed at me. I guess that's all part of the hoarding behavior... people who hoard care more about their things than about others. :(

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4228 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »

I would send her a letter: cuts down on the opportunity for her to scream at you.  Put in the letter that you have her stuff, that you have been unable to sell it despite your best efforts (and set them all out), that you will not be able to take it with you when you move in the spring.  Tell her that you have for a last time listed it on [Craigslist] but if it doesn't sell, then unless she collects it by [date a month before you move] you will dispose of it by the means available to you at the time.

Best you can do in the circumstances, I think.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

BNgarden

• Stubble
« Reply #4229 on: January 03, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
^ +1

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4230 on: January 03, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

I kept wearing them around the house. The elastic gave out so much I was using a hair elastic to ratchet them on. Then there was a bleach incident and the holey khaki fabric became white and pink at the ankles.

It was time.

My husband brought me some trousers to 'mend' yesterday. He was like, "there's a hole here, if you could just patch it. But maybe extend the patch up? It's already thin here". I asked about the other leg, I had already patched it, but where the patch ended it was weak and maybe they needed a further strenghtening patch there. And since I was already at it, this part needs reinforcing too.

In the end I was like, "so basically just make you a new pair of trousers, but inside this pair?". Apparently they are his favourites.

:D Fantastic.

I had a favourite pair of jeans when I was about 17. Jeans were tough for me to buy because I don't really have hips (Levis, etc, now have Curve ID which is awesome).

Anyway, I wore this particular pair to death. Eventually they got dangerously thin, so Mum confiscated them and stashed them in the sewing room for a future project. But I knew they were there so I would retrieve them and keep wearing them. Eventually she cut them off at the knees.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4231 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
It sounds to me like you did the best you could. I'd tell her she can either have it back by X date or you're donating on Y date. If she doesn't take it back, then I would say there's no more responsibility on your shoulders.

I feel your pain. There's hoarding in my family, too.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4232 on: January 03, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
If any of you need assistance with Calibre, I can help. I've been using it and my kindle (and tablets) consistently for over 5 years. I've yet to find anything it can't do. I have over 6000 books in my library.

Over 6000, wow.  I love reading, I love books, lately I have been able to satisfy the cravings through the library.   But at my highest book-owning moment I don't think I had that many - if the shelves were full, something had to go when something came in.

There are books I can easily ditch (the library has them), fairly easily ditch (probably will never want to read again) and those I want to hold onto that the library doesn't have.  And are not in Gutenberg, so will have to buy if I want to trade paper for electrons.  Too bad there isn't a site where I send in my paper copy and they let me download the ebook equivalent.  Of course a lot of my books are not even available as ebooks.

Is that many books even mustachian?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4233 on: January 03, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

Not as physical books. But I switched to eBooks before they even had readers. And they take up no physical space. A good chunk were premustachian too. No clutter for me. 😀
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4234 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Alright I am doing this decluttering/cleaning thing now! Some parts of my house haven't been properly cleaned in the 20+years we've lived here, but since I retired in the summer, this is my winter project.

So far: I've washed the walls around light switches and corners, where 20 years of fingerprints had built up. I've cleaned the fridge, even taking out the shelves in the door and washed them. Except for the very bottom vegetable bin, I got sidetracked right at that point. (Squirrel!)

I've washed the drapes in 3 rooms, and wiped the cobwebs off the curtain rods and top of the window frames. The cobwebs, omg, I don't know how they snuck up on me like this. In an anti-anticluttering moment I bought a lightweight stick vacuum and I've done my ceilings with it.

One room had turned into a combination shrine to my daughter (who is almost thirty and hasn't lived here in a decade) and general overflow dumping ground. I've cleaned out her closet, filled 4 big garbage bags of pure trash, a medium one of recyclable papers (spelling tests from 5th grade, that sort of thing), and tonight I posted up some old dolls of hers on craigslist.

I also donated several bags of work clothes I don't need any more to a local thrift shop.

I've been listening to the marie kondo audio book and some minimalist podcasts among other things while cleaning, for inspiration. I can't quite get behind thanking my purse when I put it down after shopping or making my clothes stand up in the dresser drawers, but I do like the idea of "curating" my environment and feeling peaceful when I walk into a room.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4235 on: January 03, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
In December, a woman at work mentioned that she wanted to start decluttering so I gave her a few pointers.

Just caught up with her and she has made huge progress over the break.

She raved about how much bigger her house seems, how much easier it is to tidy, how much her kids are enjoying the space, and how much happier she feels.

I stood there and clapped when she told me. So thrilled for her.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4236 on: January 03, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
Listed 9 items on ebay today. Gave my friend two of my old books for her to read, then told her she could keep or donate.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4237 on: January 03, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »

If you can afford it, donate and give her some money for it ( less than $50) since she is in dire financial straits. Also make it clear you can't sell any more for her because it's not worth your time (over three years) to sell them. The way I see it, you are paying to get rid of it from your life. While it's true that asking her to pick up by X and donating by Y will work, it'll not help your mom's hoarding tendencies (she'll come pick it up and store it at her place making you deal with it at a later stage). If you give her very little money, she'll atleast realize that most of what she hoards is crap and may be ready to let them go.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4238 on: January 03, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

Ooh. Yep. I've got a textbook in Bookshelf (iOS) that'd I'd love to convert (to something actually functional; I hate Bookshelf). But I have no clue how to get the file itself; I just get to it in the app (it's a desk copy because I'm teaching with it; the publisher sent it to me through an online service that syncs to the app). But maybe that's not a Calibre question?

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #4239 on: January 03, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

Ooh. Yep. I've got a textbook in Bookshelf (iOS) that'd I'd love to convert (to something actually functional; I hate Bookshelf). But I have no clue how to get the file itself; I just get to it in the app (it's a desk copy because I'm teaching with it; the publisher sent it to me through an online service that syncs to the app). But maybe that's not a Calibre question?
Not directly, but it might be. This is iBooks Bookshelf right? I'll check back in the AM.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4240 on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

Not directly, but it might be. This is iBooks Bookshelf right? I'll check back in the AM.

Yes, iBooks. Thanks!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4241 on: January 03, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »

I've learnt to keep my mouth shut about selling on eBay, after having multiple people try this on with me.

A friend of mine announced that she wanted to declutter and said she would give me all her books, DVDs, etc to sell online. She was planning to let me keep the money, but it came across almost like charity the way she tried to sell me on the idea. Also, she's a SAHM and I work full-time. Sell your own stuff! (She couldn't be bothered in the end, donated the lot.)

MiL tried this repeatedly. Eventually I agreed, listed 20-30 articles of outdated women's clothes at 99 cents each. She texted me every day to ask if anything had sold. When nothing sold, I donated the lot. I later taught her how to sell on eBay, and she listed things at such ridiculous prices that nothing sold then either. "These are good shoes, I paid $300 for them!" "... they're 15 years old. You don't want them because they're dated and they're your shoes. Why would anyone else want them?"

I would probably give in and dump the lot, give her a small amount of money, and do everything in your power to stop the influx of crap from her again. Baffle her with bullshit if you have to, tell her eBay put up their fees and it's not worth your time, or tell her eBay and Paypal had a security breach (true) and you're not comfortable selling online anymore.

While she can't have a personal garage sale, she could look into community garage sales or car boot sales and sell things that way.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4242 on: January 04, 2017, 07:11:41 AM »

Not as physical books. But I switched to eBooks before they even had readers. And they take up no physical space. A good chunk were premustachian too. No clutter for me. 😀

I was thinking more of the cost, I would happily have unlimited books (but that is why I need a big library wherever I move to).  $$ is what is stopping me from replacing perfectly good paper books with ebooks.  Plus so many are not even available as ebooks (the older ones, that are not old enough for Gutenberg).

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4243 on: January 04, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
DW and I decided that it was time to turn our attention to the interior of the house. It needed cleaning and decluttering foremost. Needed some paint and minor remodeling.

We're both sentimental fools and have boxes of old books and papers. We now have a single box of those things. Next up is a thinning of other books, music and movies. Had no idea how much we had until we unboxed some things. Things were haven't enjoyed in years. What is the point in having it?

We've made stabs at making real progress before and accomplished a little each time.

This holiday we got serious.

And it was easier each time something left the house - as either donations, recycle materials or plain garbage.

Along the way we painted one room and have plans to paint a few more in the next week or so. New carpet too. Night and day difference.

Our house wasn't dirty but it wasn't clean either. So much dust around things that had not been moved in such a long time. Someone here talked about creating a home that is easy to clean so that is what we're focusing on. Everything needs to have a home or it needs to go.

Still have a ways to go but we are getting there. On a another note the Goodwill store people know us by sight now. I considered a garage sale or eBay but I've been down that route before. Takes a long time, lots of packing and boxing - assuming I have materials to do this with in the first place. Our time is worth more than the stuff we donated. Most of it would have been $5 items at best.

We noticed how many gifts we've received as a family that were never really used much. We've tried to make our relatives remember we have a small house but with mixed results. Whatever comes into the house needs to be easy to store when not in use. The holidays are wonderful but we don't need anything. Time together and good eats and laughter are more important to us.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4244 on: January 04, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
The decluttering endeavor has driven home the irreconcilable differences between my husband and me.

Last night. Me: Do I really have to get rid of my Annie Dillard and Dorris Lessing books? I haven't read them since college, but they were so good ... (Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize winners, respectively)

My husband - face lighting up, pointing to one of his books: THIS is the BEST BOOK EVER!

I squint at the title: "Linear Algebra and its Applications."

We seem happy enough together, but this makes me think we aren't compatible at all.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4245 on: January 04, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
The decluttering endeavor has driven home the irreconcilable differences between my husband and me.

Last night. Me: Do I really have to get rid of my Annie Dillard and Dorris Lessing books? I haven't read them since college, but they were so good ... (Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize winners, respectively)

My husband - face lighting up, pointing to one of his books: THIS is the BEST BOOK EVER!

I squint at the title: "Linear Algebra and its Applications."

We seem happy enough together, but this makes me think we aren't compatible at all.

What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Thanks for the laugh!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4246 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
I'm reasonably good at not bring excess into my house...I THOUGHT...but I'm doing the Apartment Therapy cure this January and re-discovered that I have five whisks/egg beaters (one stolen from my mom, four gifted from my mom...ya think she wants the one I stole back?) and three containers of curry powder.

On the upside, today's task (cleaning out the pantry) has me feeling really good about the space. Which still has three things of curry because I will eventually use them, but has less of the stuff I never will.

...anyone have any good recipes for curry powder?

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4247 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm reasonably good at not bring excess into my house...I THOUGHT...but I'm doing the Apartment Therapy cure this January and re-discovered that I have five whisks/egg beaters (one stolen from my mom, four gifted from my mom...ya think she wants the one I stole back?) and three containers of curry powder.

On the upside, today's task (cleaning out the pantry) has me feeling really good about the space. Which still has three things of curry because I will eventually use them, but has less of the stuff I never will.

Curry powder improves almost everything that isn't ice cream. Next time you're too sick to do more than heat up a can of chicken soup, add some curry powder to it and feel even more better. Unless you're vegetarian, that is, in which case do it with vegetable soup.

Seriously, I go through tons of curry, powders and pastes both, because they're useful in so very many things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4248 on: January 04, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »

Curried Lentils and chickpeas!
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/07/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/01/curried-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/quick-curried-chick-peas/
and this one doesn't have curry but is delicious lol: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/09/dal-nirvana/

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4249 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »