Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 897210 times)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4150 on: December 24, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
I have a week off work... I'm taking on the craft room.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:40:51 PM by iowajes »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4151 on: December 24, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
I have a week off work... I'm talking the craft room.

You're a brave woman.

I'm sorting my papers and reorganizing my files in January.

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4152 on: December 24, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
Gave a loveseat to a friend. Gave away a vase that was too big to be useful at a white elephant exchange (got a multimeter in exchange, but that is both smaller and more useful). Sold my stand mixer on Craigslist. I'm now $150 richer and my house is a couple hundred pounds lighter! :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4153 on: December 24, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
I'm getting down to the hard stuff. Today I was able to empty half a drawer out of three of a file cabinet of all my undergraduate work. I was feeling like I could get rid of my class notes and just hang on to my writing (which is what I did for some classes I didn't love), but every file brought back such wonderful memories. This is going to be a rough one.

Instead on Monday, I'm going to attack the last cluttered part of my room -- my desk and one box of misc. items that I couldn't find places for as I cleaned out the rest of the room. This will be difficult (I honestly don't know where to put that stuff), but at least not *emotionally* difficult. I may have to leave that file cabinet until the very end of this project.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4154 on: December 25, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »
Can't wait to attack the cabinets this week - having more people at home has shown how much more clutter we have and how much less we can live by. Time for another purge before end of year.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4155 on: December 26, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
Boyfriend took a big stack of DVDs (and I think a few CDs too) to the used-media store and they took everything! $60 cash. Bam!

(He was offered more in trade but "I decided we don't really need anything new." Good boy!)

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4156 on: December 27, 2016, 12:22:27 AM »
Received Spark Joy by Marie Kondo for Chrissy, read the whole thing yesterday! Wow, I know it's not for everyone but I'm very very excited. I think I was Japanese in a past life. I was worried about the books but I think I can handle it.

So, Thurs is expected to be about 38C so is an ideal day to lock myself indoors with air con/ fans and get into it. I've already started saying thank you to my things when I use them, hubby thinks I've gone mad!

TomTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4157 on: December 27, 2016, 06:36:17 AM »
Lots of backward progress this week due to the holidays and having a chunk of my planned vacation time @ home cancelled.

Other than the thoroughly cleaned-out fridge.

Oh, well. I need to tackle something.
Credit card signup bonuses:

$150 bonus on $500 spend for Chase Freedom:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/2/MU4TDQ1N3K

$50 bonus (no min spend, just use it once) plus double all cash back at the end of 1 year for Discover, including the initial $50:
https://refer.discover.com/s/37e3u

$500 bonus on $4,000 spend for Chase Sapphire Preferred:
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/6/Z8JIP66H7G

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4158 on: December 27, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »
Some more stuff out the door yesterday. Need to tackle a crib today and do some dropoffs at Savers nearby. I'm loving the space that's showing up again.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4159 on: December 27, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
I made my big Goodwill donation yesterday.

I still haven't taken any photos for Craigslist sales. I've got soooo many bookshelves to get rid of, all of them in excellent condition. I'd really like to make a little bit of money off of them, but if I don't get those pictures done by January 9th, I may just donate them. I also have an aquarium and aquarium stand, a gorgeous dresser, and a Kayak that need to go. All of those together should get me at least $300 total, I think.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #4160 on: December 27, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
I've been working on clearing everything out of my spare/computer/storage room the past few weeks. Sold my big computer desk (and hopefully the computer) to a friend for cheap. Cleared out nearly the rest of the room. Some of it was removed from my life entirely, but a lot found it's way to drawers, shelves, etc that had been emptied through previous decluttering. I just have a few more things to deal with before the room is completely empty and I can start fixing up and painting.

It amazes me how much STUFF I still have after 2 years of declutering. At this rate it'll take me another 4 years to condense everything down to fit in a camper.

Dave1442397

• Bristles
« Reply #4161 on: December 27, 2016, 12:12:08 PM »
I'm getting down to the hard stuff. Today I was able to empty half a drawer out of three of a file cabinet of all my undergraduate work. I was feeling like I could get rid of my class notes and just hang on to my writing (which is what I did for some classes I didn't love), but every file brought back such wonderful memories. This is going to be a rough one.

I run that kind of thing through the scanner and then toss it.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4162 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:07 PM »
That's what I'm thinking... I'll have to take them to work* a notebook at a time, though, since I don't have a scanner at home. I'll just make that a long-term project. :)

*99% of this stuff is directly related to my work, so it wouldn't be a misuse of the scanner. Still, I'll do it off the clock.

KBecks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4163 on: December 27, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »
Purple Heart called and asked if they could pick up tomorrow.  I am dismantling the "goodwill pile" and adding as much stuff as I can in the mix before they come to the house tomorrow.

I think that maybe pick-up services are better.  However the scheduling can be difficult for me.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4164 on: December 28, 2016, 12:40:25 AM »
Gave away a pile of truly bizarre Christmas presents on Buy Nothing yesterday. People give me some weird, weird shit, I tell you.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4165 on: December 28, 2016, 04:56:16 AM »
More stuff out the home and money in pocket. Need to take care of some stuff for shipping tomorrow and return a few toys we got as gifts. Also found we have enough diapers for my kiddo. So no more diaper buying for sometime. Phew!

Resisted buying some stuff at Target. Does that count in decluttering?  :)

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #4166 on: December 28, 2016, 03:08:40 PM »
Started another donation box yesterday.  Added a very old, plastic poinsettia serving tray my mom left at our house Saturday.  She's decluttering her condo by giving away stuff.  Yay us.

Also added to the box is a pair of slippers received for Christmas (I already have way too many slip on types to wear about the house), a Pez dispenser and it's candy from my stocking, and another random coffee mug.  DH and I each received an oversize mug and the cupboard is already crammed full.

To the box I'm going to add a table mirror with lights I received for Christmas about a decade ago and never used and a cute, but unneeded pair of mittens received this year.  Someone will appreciate them.

Tossed random items such as a semi rusty cookie tin received last week.  I am so over having "stuff" around.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4167 on: December 28, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
Listed 3 boxes of baseball cards from the early 90s (aka worthless) for $10 and was shocked to get an offer immediately. I thought I'd be giving them away for free!

She can't pick up until next week, but she already paypaled the money!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4168 on: December 28, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
We were lucky this year (or maybe my gentle requests for a low-stuff Christmas are paying off!) and didn't receive too much clutter.

I will go through the cupboards again before work goes back and put together another donation bag.

The cupboard that's really bugging me at the moment is the electrical/camera/games cupboard. Assorted leads, battery packs, etc. I've gone through it several times and tossed what we don't "need", but it seems that the only time anyone is in the cupboard looking at that stuff is when I'm decluttering it!

We moved earlier this year and changed some furniture around, and I'm not happy with how these things are being stored. (No, storage tubs are not a substitute for decluttering, but I do need something to sort this out.)

Upgrayed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4169 on: December 28, 2016, 05:03:32 PM »
I'll be throwing away a pair of very lightly used, name brand, winter boots later tonight. They were given to me by my employer at the time and have been hanging around for 15 years. They've been moved to four different places. I doubt they were even worn once a year to shovel snow, but I could never get rid of them because free. This morning, I wore them for the 1.2 mile walk to work and they're disintegrating. Rubber from the lowers on both boots is peeling and flaking off and the lowers and uppers on one boot have almost completely separated. They should be pretty comical looking after the walk home tonight. They will not be missed.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4170 on: December 28, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »
Listed a bunch of stuff for free on FB - nobody is interested in clothes and accessories but I have got people to take wire coat hangers and a part bottle of shampoo I started but didn't like. So random!

I've also got a bagful of old clothes only good for rags and about 3 things I'll donate or bin. Plus a bagful of things to wash - one mouldy skirt and a bunch of musty things. The humidity here is so frustrating but at least it gives me a good reason to be minimalist - I hate washing the mould and mildew off things.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4171 on: December 28, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »
Two broken office chairs and a broken desk lamp, FINALLY out of the house. I recycled what was possible and stuffed the rest into the trash. My husband had a hard time letting his go (!), but after I took it apart, he cut up the cushions so they would fit in the container. Mine was bought new in 1986!

pulled out my skis (not used since the 90s) and backpack (even longer) and added to the donate pile.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #4172 on: December 29, 2016, 09:43:51 AM »
Found an amazing upscale ladies' consignment shop in town. They carry plus sizes, but the current selection is a bit thin (ohh, bad pun) so I raked through my closet and found a ton of winter clothes, a pair of shoes and some jewelry that I'm hoping they'll accept. Then I get to shop for "free" whenever I need something. WIN!

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4173 on: December 29, 2016, 10:39:41 AM »
Boyfriend destashed his closet and took a huge pile of T-shirts to my city's version of Goodwill. Also took the VCR that we never use.

The clearing-out of the filing cabinet continues. Hello, credit card and bank statements going back to the late 90s!

I am in a quandary, though. I recently learned that in my city one cannot recycle shredded paper. Unbelievable, right? Apparently, it clogs the machinery. (source: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151214/lincoln-square/hold-phone-papers-not-recyclable-nope-not-always)

And I don't want to just toss unshredded statements for accounts and credit cards I still have (yes, some of my credit cards date back that far) or stuff that's got my SSN on it. Most of the public shredding events here cost money, and are also in summer, which won't work since we're moving in April/May. Argh. I do not want to pay to dispose of all of this.

I'm considering bringing the shredded statements to work and either sneaking it into the work recycling, or dumping it into some recycling dumpster nearby. I work just over the border of the city in a suburb that does take shredded paper. There is a LOT of it, though, and both of these options are unethical if not illegal. Probably too much to be inconspicuous, too; certainly more than I'm comfortable hauling onto a crowded train due to its bulk. Maybe do it in small batches?

This really surprised me. I've been putting shredded paper in recycling for years, and now I found out that I contaminated the entire bin and doomed it to the landfill. :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4174 on: December 29, 2016, 10:43:42 AM »
Very shocked to hear about the shredded paper! That's crazy.

As for what to do with it- it costs some money, but do you have an office supply store that does shredding? That's what we've done in the past.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4175 on: December 29, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »
Probably. I think the Fedex stores here do that. I've gotta admit, though, I'm kind of pissed that I have a perfectly good shredder that I now apparently cannot use.

Recycling in Chicago is widely thought of as a joke anyway. We're pretty behind the times compared to other large cities, from what I've read. The city makes it difficult and expensive to recycle; our building doesn't even have a bin because we're 5 units and the city only provides bins for 2-4 unit buildings. Otherwise the landlord has to pay for it, and apparently ours doesn't want to. (so, um, I throw my recycling into the bin of the building next door. Yes, it's illegal, but with no car I can't haul all this stuff to a recycling center.)

jillinsandiego

• Bristles
« Reply #4176 on: December 29, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
I think I need to get involved in this group...I have been trying to get rid of all the crap we have around our house, as I am definitely a minimalist at heart. I thought I'd been doing pretty well with going through stuff, but it still seems like all of our closets, cupboards, etc, all full of stuff we don't use/need, that I don't even remember. I went through the china cabinet cupboard two nights ago and found 34 placemats. I haven't used a placemat since we moved to our new house 4 years ago! I counted them and was appalled. I itemize everything we donate in It's Deductible, but even though we have donated a lot in 2016, there is still so much more. I told my husband I want us to go through and lay hands on everything in the house and determine whether we use it and it's worth keeping, or not. It's daunting and may take years with our giant clown house. I can't wait until we can downsize to something smaller and not have the excuse of having space to store all this junk. I want it gone!!

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4177 on: December 29, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
An exercise from Your Money Or Your Life is to inventory everything you own.  Ive started at least 3 times if not more in the past 15 years and have yet to complete even one room each time, there is just so much to have to count t, categorize (and justify?).  Could be a way for you to get into the nitty gritty of laying hands on everything in your house.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

jillinsandiego

• Bristles
« Reply #4178 on: December 29, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »
Yep, I read Your Money or Your Life this year (free ebook checked out from the library). Pretty daunting in our home. I wouldn't call my husband and actual hoarder (though I will tell him to his face that he is out of exasperation), but he is a borderline packrat anyway. If I hear "just in case" as a justification for keeping something one more time...sigh. Working my way through the things I control for now!

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4179 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Tris, I would give yourself permission to put it in the regular trash. The powers that be have said it doesn't get recycled if you put it in the recycling (wtf I know) so you won't actually be making anything worse. If there's not enought room in your bin, do you have an outdoor area or friends house where you might be able to have a little bonfire and burn it? Huge stack could be gone in 15 minutes and VERY secure :) Again, not the perfect environmental solution but you have tried your best.

I've got some drawers and a lamp going via free cycle this weekend. Need to tackle the new linen cupboard next week now that we have finally got everything into it and get rid of all the 'just in case' stuff. With a clothes dryer as a back up plan, there's no need to keep more than the 2 nicest sets for each bed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:09:21 PM by chasingthegoodlife »

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4180 on: December 29, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
Hi Tris, if you know anyone with a Bokashi bin, worm farm or compost they might be able to take small amounts of shredded paper?

I know it's more work, but for future statements, could you remove and shred the vital details from the top and recycle the rest? What a pain.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4181 on: December 29, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
I threw out / donated / listed so much clothing yesterday that we now have space in a cupboard to store all our jackets and shoes. Will make a huge difference to the tidiness of the house.

Today, it's books and hopefully bathroom/ makeup products if time.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #4182 on: December 29, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
I got rid of SO MUCH stuff in 2015 and continued working at it in 2016, but with a lot less effort. I thought I'd worked my way down to the essentials and my house and heart felt much lighter. Well recently I've been clearing out the storage/spare/computer room and I've eliminated more things, and moved most things to other locations, and I feel cramped again!! The spare room is now completely empty, minus a computer I'm selling to a friend next week, but the rest of the house, and especially the garage reminds me just how much STUFF I still have.

I'm hoping to declutter enough to fit everything into a small camper, and I'm realizing this week that I have a LONG way to go!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4183 on: December 29, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »
Is anyone else decluttering to help with mildew?  I started this thread if anyone has ideas:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/cheaper-and-greener-ways-to-stop-mildew-in-wardrobes/msg1356370/#msg1356370

It's a particular problem to humid areas as far as I know.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #4184 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
I finally got rid of an older Xbox we no longer used. I didn't get much money for it, but just reminded myself that $14 is better than the $0 I had when it was sitting unused on the shelf.

I also did a major purge of my (large) craft closet. Some of the things were for hobbies I had once and no longer do (like making mosaics) and some were things where I needed ONE and could only buy A LOT (like buttons/beads/Popsicle sticks/etc). My husband even asked "What if we need it?" and my response was "I would probably wind up going out to buy more because I didn't even remember that I had most of this." Which is true enough.

I'm having a hard time with photos, and not even sentimental photos of friends and family. For several years I was into photography as one of my hobbies (which I hardly do anymore). I have TONS of albums and framed photos from those days and I don't know what to do with them. I'm tempted to throw them out as I rarely look at them, but once I open them, I start going "Oooh, I like that one.... That one's nice..." etc. I have several moving boxes full. I'd like to say that I'll scan them all to digital, but it's highly unlikely. I actually got a scanner years ago for film negatives. I think I did like three rolls of film and gave up. Something to work on, I guess.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4185 on: December 29, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
I've found someone to take my dresser and at least two bookshelves in exchange for something I need (a repair I'm not qualified for). Perfect!

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4186 on: December 29, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
I Marie Kondo-ed our books today. We have a few hundred and I only wanted probably less than half. I was so proud that I even managed to let go some unread ones I'd bought that I know will never get read. Unfortunately DH wanted most of those I discarded including the unread ones that I bought that he knows nothing about and being a one book a year type of guy will never read them either :| We are getting rid of 25, none of which are sellable. But 25 out is better than none.

We still don't have an attractive storage solution so I'm putting them back where they were. It's a good job we aren't planning a move to a camper like some of you guys!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4187 on: December 30, 2016, 07:44:35 AM »
Due to a family emergency I did not have time to finish all of the pieces for my Christmas gifts, so I robbed my bookshelves and gave away half a dozen books too. Many by local authors, books I really liked but if I need them again I can find them again.  Until then my life is lighter.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4188 on: December 30, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:30:12 AM by RetiredAt63 »
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4189 on: December 30, 2016, 03:09:54 PM »
Two big bags of fabric scraps picked up today.  Glad to have them out of the house and not in the trash.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4190 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
Exchanged a sweater I got for Christmas that wouldn't have gotten worn. Got much needed jeans for DH instead.
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4191 on: December 30, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes usually for students and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.

Freshwater

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4192 on: December 30, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Got rid of a pair of shoes and five saucepans that don't work on induction plus a rusty wok. The space in the pan cupboard means that the slow cooker and chopping boards now have a proper home. DH chucked five magazines and a bike helmet. Together we are tackling another kitchen cupboard and have found a home for the blender and bread maker. The bread maker is used every other day but Marie Kondo told me to put it in a cupboard so I'm trying it. We are unstoppable.

Dave1442397

• Bristles
« Reply #4193 on: December 30, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »

I use Calibre to convert ebooks to mobi format. You can use Calibre to convert from any format to any other format, as far as I know - https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #4194 on: December 30, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
I'm offloading some furniture to my siblings as they move into a rental together. So far they're taking a couch and a full length mirror :D

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4195 on: December 30, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
Five toys out the home! And we got back $100 for them. Also I'm finally ready to work through my lipstick stash and throw out ones I don't use anymore. Moved a shower lotion and body lotion to regular use - I'm finally starting to work through my second stash of cosmetics. At this rate, I think I'm set for atleast 2-3 years of lotions and shower gels.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4196 on: December 31, 2016, 01:51:31 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... drinking through my tea stash before I buy any new tea!!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4197 on: December 31, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes usually for students and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
A few were mobi files and are now on my Kindle.
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4198 on: December 31, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

Thanks Rural
A few were mobi files and are now on my Kindle.
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4199 on: December 31, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »
Probably. I think the Fedex stores here do that. I've gotta admit, though, I'm kind of pissed that I have a perfectly good shredder that I now apparently cannot use.

Recycling in Chicago is widely thought of as a joke anyway. We're pretty behind the times compared to other large cities, from what I've read. The city makes it difficult and expensive to recycle; our building doesn't even have a bin because we're 5 units and the city only provides bins for 2-4 unit buildings. Otherwise the landlord has to pay for it, and apparently ours doesn't want to. (so, um, I throw my recycling into the bin of the building next door. Yes, it's illegal, but with no car I can't haul all this stuff to a recycling center.)

Do you know anyone with a fireplace or a burn barrel?

I've been out of the decluttering game for a bit, but I've got a few days off and it's cold AF outside, so I'll be housebound and tidying a bit. 

Texted with someone this morning who is sending her husband to purchase a ski jacket I posted on Craigslist last week.  I gave up on skiing, and this jacket is white, a color I'm unqualified to wear in daily life due to my inability  to  keep things nice.  It's been  taunting me from  the coat closet for a couple years now.  I did a round of eBay for some excess horse equipment a few weeks ago but only sold two out of ten items.  I'll get everything I want to sell cleaned and photographed and try again in the spring.  I also have about five saddle pads set aside to give away, and need to add a few other things to freecycle to fellow horse people.

Recently I went through my garden seeds and discarded anything that was old, and empty envelopes that somehow made their way back into storage.  Also have a large box of clothes, shoes and random items  ready to be donated and will certainly find things to add over the next few days.

I went through my home-canned goods a couple months ago and prioritized using up  previous years' supplies.  Need to drop off a food donation I purchased before Thanksgiving and didn't manage to get onto the food bank truck in time.  Will probably find some other things lurking around the house to add to that box as well.