Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1098341 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4100 on: December 12, 2016, 03:37:43 PM »
Another donation bag out the door, mostly clothes and white elephant/Secret Santa gifts*.

*I've seen other people complaining about the great crap exchange that is white elephant/free Secret Santa, but I actually like it as a way of getting rid of stuff.

I give things that I'm a bit reluctant to donate but happy to give to a friend.

In return, I receive crap I can cast off easily.

So, overall, there is less stuff in my house.

Still waiting on a council clean-up to toss three or four larger items.

seemsright

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4101 on: December 12, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
I am in full on get rid of crap mode. I have been on this train for awhile. But this last weekend I got into it again and hubby and I filled the donation bin.

And just by luck I was looking on craigslist to see if the rower in my garage was worth anything. And I saw a post for a guy that was wanting one. He gave me $470 for it. I will take it. I refuse to feel bad for buying something years ago that did not work out. My life is different now.

But that money is going straight to Vanguard!
"Luck is how others define hard work, dedication, focus and vision" 3/15

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4102 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
* Took a bag of baby clothes and a bag of old linens to Goodwill
* Sold $30 of clutter on eBay
* Listened to KonMarie on audiobook for inspiration on future decluttering/minimalism
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4103 on: December 12, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
I just threw out this unused kids scrapbook that has followed me around at least 3 house moves and possibly overseas. I was keeping it for a sketch pad but it's all discoloured and bent so it's gone. The silly things we hang on to.

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4104 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
We've had a hard time getting rid of stuff. We bought our house from my in-laws, who were downsizing to a one-bedroom condo. We moved in as they were moving out, and a few months later we realized that they had stopped taking stuff. Their new place was full, so they just started stashing stuff in our garage, basement and attic.

My MIL has always been a pack rat, and a lot of it stems from growing up in the Philippines during WWII, when people had very little of anything.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clear some attic space so that I could put my weight bench and rollers (for the bicycle) up there. I donated two carloads of clothes, filled the recycling and trash cans two weeks straight, and can finally move around up there without falling over stuff.

i also went thru the stuff in the basement and filled another recycling can full of old papers (from various associations they belonged to over the years).

I think after the holidays I'll start on the basement again. There's a pool table I want to get rid of, plus the Lenox collection (MIL's) that I've hidden down there (we had vases all over the house when we moved in), and some boxes of LPs and other stuff that I need to look at. I even found a box of 8-track tapes down there.

I've been a pack rat myself when it comes to books. I must have at least 5,000 books in the attic. It might be worth trying to sell them online, but we'll see. If it's more trouble than it's worth, they'll end up at Goodwill.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #4105 on: December 13, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
House staging continues.  Tossed the very dusty, faux ivy from our wedding 10 years ago, last year's phone book (WHY do they still print these?), and a few beyond-their-years Christmas decorations.

I put two unopened bottles of Bath and Body works lotion into the donation box and asked family not to buy any more for me for Christmas.

I used up the hand soap and Shout refills bottles, and hopefully won't have to buy more before the move.  We're down to our last jars of pasta sauces and misc canned goods in the pantry, bottles of mayo and salad dressing in the fridge, and shampoo and conditioner in our HBA stockpile for me.  We'll see if I can refrain from restocking during this week's monthly grocery shopping.  ;)

Food stockpile consumption continues as posted on the Eat ALL The Food MM thread.

Next I need to toss several pairs of sandals.  It is very difficult for me to throw away clothing and shoes, even when beyond donation condition, for some reason.

Now, if someone would just buy our home.  :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4106 on: December 13, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »
We've had a hard time getting rid of stuff. We bought our house from my in-laws, who were downsizing to a one-bedroom condo. We moved in as they were moving out, and a few months later we realized that they had stopped taking stuff. Their new place was full, so they just started stashing stuff in our garage, basement and attic.

My MIL has always been a pack rat, and a lot of it stems from growing up in the Philippines during WWII, when people had very little of anything.

A few weeks ago, I decided to clear some attic space so that I could put my weight bench and rollers (for the bicycle) up there. I donated two carloads of clothes, filled the recycling and trash cans two weeks straight, and can finally move around up there without falling over stuff.

That's a tough situation. How are they responding to you decluttering?

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4107 on: December 13, 2016, 03:56:23 PM »

That's a tough situation. How are they responding to you decluttering?

My FIL never cared what we kept and what we tossed, but my MIL was much more resistant to change. At first, my wife would be questioned whenever one the "beautiful" (uh, "hideous") vases disappeared to the basement or attic, but she adjusted over time.

I can now sneak out the really useless crap, like an electric footbath from the '60s that I'd be afraid to plug in, or drawers full of clothes that haven't seen the light of day since the '80s. We're getting there.

Some of the stuff we'll just keep for now, as it's only taking up space in the storage section of the attic, and it's out of sight.

I'm going to start sorting the stuff in the basement soon, and get rid of what I can. I don't think she'll notice, as she really doesn't go down there anymore.

Funny story - there was a chest freezer in the basement that was last manufactured in 1976 (not sure how old it was) and was still filled with food. I decided to empty it out one day and found a huge fish wrapped in newspaper that my FIL had caught...in 1997. It started to stink after only a few minutes, and my daughter and her friend quickly took it to the creek in the back yard and set it free.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4108 on: December 13, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »

I've been a pack rat myself when it comes to books. I must have at least 5,000 books in the attic. It might be worth trying to sell them online, but we'll see. If it's more trouble than it's worth, they'll end up at Goodwill.

There are some apps you can get that let you use your phone to scan the ISBN from the book and tell you what you can sell it for. If you have any collectible or valuable books you can quickly sort them out and drop the rest off at a local thrift store or school/prison book drive.

Do not discount finding one or two books worth money, I have a set of hard to find paperback novels worth about $240.00.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4109 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »

There are some apps you can get that let you use your phone to scan the ISBN from the book and tell you what you can sell it for. If you have any collectible or valuable books you can quickly sort them out and drop the rest off at a local thrift store or school/prison book drive.

Do not discount finding one or two books worth money, I have a set of hard to find paperback novels worth about $240.00.

Yeah, that's what I need. Some of them are obvious enough, but not all. I looked up one book because I'd forgotten the author's name, and found that the book I paid $5 for is now selling for $95 and up. It's always worth checking.

Car Jack

• Bristles
« Reply #4110 on: December 14, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »
Had our work Christmas party along with mystery presents.  Was struggling to figure something out and my wife says "I have these holiday mugs that we got from my work a few years (probably 15) ago that you can have, we'll never use them".  There ya go.  As it turned out, the person who picked my gift thought it was the cutest thing they ever saw.  Excellent.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4111 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »

Funny story - there was a chest freezer in the basement that was last manufactured in 1976 (not sure how old it was) and was still filled with food. I decided to empty it out one day and found a huge fish wrapped in newspaper that my FIL had caught...in 1997. It started to stink after only a few minutes, and my daughter and her friend quickly took it to the creek in the back yard and set it free.

Eeeeeeeyugggh!!!!

Today I am sad because although I got rid of a big sack of cloth diapers, within a few days I found an even larger sack on my doorstep... a mom at my son's school dropped off clothes from sizes 3-7 for my daughter. Nice, but now I lose storage room again.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4112 on: December 14, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Sold an over-priced pair of boots through the consignment shop. Now I have one less pair of boots and I can finally put that stupid purchase behind me. >.<

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4113 on: December 15, 2016, 03:12:30 AM »
Sold an over-priced pair of boots through the consignment shop. Now I have one less pair of boots and I can finally put that stupid purchase behind me. >.<

It feels so good to stop beating yourself up everytime you see a 'bad' purchase! Yay!

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4114 on: December 15, 2016, 07:48:43 AM »

It feels so good to stop beating yourself up everytime you see a 'bad' purchase! Yay!
\

Does it ever! I was shopping with a friend and she convinced me to buy the boots. Cursed peer pressure! But now they're gone, I have a little bit of cash, and I can put it behind me. Even partially fixing financial mistakes lets me forgive myself and move on, especially now that I don't have evidence of the mistake sitting in my closet and taking up space. :)

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4115 on: December 15, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
I've been challenging myself to either use up or throw out my old toiletries and cosmetics. I used up  some samples of shampoo and conditioner and I'm working on a small bottle of body wash that I've had for 2 or 3 years. Tossed some old nail polish and some perfume I've had since high school (I'm 30!). Started using a couple of face products that I haven't used in a while. Even though this stuff doesn't take up much space it definitely contributes to the cluttered feel of my bathroom.

Not sure what to do with a couple bottles of hairspray; I use it very rarely so I probably have a lifetime supply. Does hairspray go bad?

This weekend friends are coming to take an old loveseat that's just taking up space in the soon-to-be nursery. They were going to take a sofa too but changed their minds so I guess I need to list that on Freecycle.

Listed our Kitchenaid mixer that we never use on Craigslist last week but no offers yet. I thought I priced it fairly but I might reduce the price to get it sold.

Mr. Paws

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4116 on: December 15, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
I have a bunch of old paintings painted by my grandfather and mother.  Also, my mom bought many paintings i don't care about.  I plan on keeping some of their personal paintings but this stuff just takes up so much space.  I feel bad if I throw it away but I am not really sure what to do with it?  Any ideas would be great.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4117 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »
I have a bunch of old paintings painted by my grandfather and mother.  Also, my mom bought many paintings i don't care about.  I plan on keeping some of their personal paintings but this stuff just takes up so much space.  I feel bad if I throw it away but I am not really sure what to do with it?  Any ideas would be great.
Offer them to other family members first.  Then try to sell them (Do you have any local auction houses?  Maybe the place your mother bought them from will buy them back?).  Then try to give them away (charity shop, secret Santa, raffle prizes).  Then use what you can as kindling/firewood and send the rest to the dump.

I've just listed a sofa on Freegle.  Bought second hand 13 years ago, still a good and comfortable sofa but no fire safety certificate so not worth trying to sell.  Dedicated reading of this thread has led me to the conclusion that I'd rather have the floor space.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:10:37 AM by former player »
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #4118 on: December 15, 2016, 11:42:39 AM »
Tossed the above mentioned sandals, plus some art supply bits and bobs that would be of no use to anyone.

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4119 on: December 15, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »
Not sure what to do with a couple bottles of hairspray; I use it very rarely so I probably have a lifetime supply. Does hairspray go bad?

Hairspray is useful for fixing drawings in pastels/ pencil if that helps. Do a test patch first I guess.

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4120 on: December 15, 2016, 06:09:52 PM »
I saw this message on a local community FB page today. I poked around and found a nice winter coat, a fleece jacket and a pair of snow pants that my daughter outgrew. I'm glad someone will be able to use them in such a sad time.

"Hello Facebook friends I need to ask a huge favor... I was just told by a friend of mine that 2 little girls ages 6 and 8 have just lost there mother today while we were in church service... she died in cooper hospital . The 2 little girls are on there way from Mexico to New Jersey, a week and some days before Christmas day and now have no mother to come home to.. my favor to ask is if you have any little girls winter cloth, coats, shoes ect. Sizes 6 to 10 in kids cloth with shoe size 3y to 4.5y that you can donate to help these little ones out it would be greatly appreciated and I know God will bless you tremendously. Please inbox me for pick up... these cloths are needed asap.. have a blessed night."

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4121 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »

Hairspray is useful for fixing drawings in pastels/ pencil if that helps. Do a test patch first I guess.
I have about as much artistic talent as my toddler, but your post inspired me to Google alternative uses for hairspray and apparently there are tons, including removing stains and lint; and helping your nails dry faster. Who knew?

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4122 on: December 17, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »
Sofa has gone: message sent to Freegle Thursday evening, posted Friday morning, gone this lunchtime (Saturday).  I liked the sofa but I'm loving the space it has left much more.

Giving things away is more pleasant and easier than selling them: hassle factor on this one was nil.  Plus, the sofa was a good one but I bought it second hand 13 years ago so I got my money's worth out of it.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4123 on: December 17, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
I dropped off two more items at the consignment shop. They only take nicer brands and certain items. These haven't fit in a while so off they went.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4124 on: December 17, 2016, 02:59:55 PM »
Yesterday was a productive day on the decluttering front.

I sorted out the medicine box and tossed expired medication and some other bits and pieces.

Went through my stationery and put a pile of spare envelopes out for recycling.

Took a mallet to the pinboard that was dumped on me last weekend, so now it is in small enough pieces to go in the garbage bin.

I also have a pile of things to distribute to family over Christmas (gifts, a borrowed Esky, baby clothes a friend gave me to pass on). Can't wait to be rid of it all!

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #4125 on: December 19, 2016, 07:18:11 AM »
Seventeen things (well, actually 20) culled on Dec. 17.  Including a notebook from high school and a brochure from the summer session of my college the year I graduated, more than 20 years ago!  Why do I even have these things??

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4126 on: December 19, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »
Giving away some hard to get consumable stuff to visiting family - phew, I'm finally going to run out of shower gel that I had in stock in one pile. I still have another to work through. I also have loads of oils and lotions to work through :(

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4127 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:11 PM »
Two more shirts gone! One step at a time

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4128 on: December 21, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
I might be moving soon - another decluttering opportunity! :D

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4129 on: December 21, 2016, 11:11:07 PM »
* Filled another grocery bag with weird socks, outgrown baby clothes, children's clothes and assorted blankets and geegaws.
* Cleared out a stack of children's books by donating to a nearby Little Free Library that gets a tremendous amount of traffic.
* Refilled our Little Free Library with some adult non-fiction and cookbooks I probably won't get to until the children are in college. Let it go, let it go...

* I've been listening to KonMarie as an Audible audiobook in the car and while I haven't absorbed it all, I'm reconsidering how I fold my socks and finding her "sparks joy" guideline quite useful. Among other things it allows me to relinquish quite a few things we've been given by the in-laws, LOL.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4130 on: December 22, 2016, 01:05:28 AM »
Last year around this time I purged everything I thought possible. This past month I've given away four boxes worth of school supplies to students, filled several bags of clothes to donate (more than I thought I owned, and my TARDIS-like closet still looks full), shredded three boxes worth of records I no longer need, and emptied a large bookshelf. I still have empty bookshelves in the garage from the last purge (nine for a grand total of ten -- book addiction is real!), and I'm going to try and sell them via Craigslist. They're in excellent condition. I can also sell our now empty aquarium, a kayak I got cheap at a garage sale but can't transport in my current car, some redundant yoga equipment, a really nice, sturdy dresser, a less nice but still useful set of drawers, and a large file cabinet. I'm not sure there will be any takers, but we also have a barely used mattress to get rid of; it aggravated my joint pain (too soft) and we promptly replaced it. We've used it twice for guests, but we have a traditional futon for that now and don't need it. I've also got a small box full of trinkets -- bracelets, necklaces, etc., largely unworn as I haven't got the first idea how to accessorize (mostly gifts). I've kept the ones I use on fancy occasions (also gifts).

At some point I may brave the drawer of abandoned electronics. For now, that stuff is hidden away.

There's probably even more to get rid of, but I think it can wait until I drop off these donations and list the items for sale right after Christmas.

Now if somehow I could quell this daily wave of mail...
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #4131 on: December 22, 2016, 04:53:43 AM »
I saw this message on a local community FB page today. I poked around and found a nice winter coat, a fleece jacket and a pair of snow pants that my daughter outgrew. I'm glad someone will be able to use them in such a sad time.

"Hello Facebook friends I need to ask a huge favor... I was just told by a friend of mine that 2 little girls ages 6 and 8 have just lost there mother today while we were in church service... she died in cooper hospital . The 2 little girls are on there way from Mexico to New Jersey, a week and some days before Christmas day and now have no mother to come home to.. my favor to ask is if you have any little girls winter cloth, coats, shoes ect. Sizes 6 to 10 in kids cloth with shoe size 3y to 4.5y that you can donate to help these little ones out it would be greatly appreciated and I know God will bless you tremendously. Please inbox me for pick up... these cloths are needed asap.. have a blessed night."

Dave, do you have more info on this?  I'm not on Facebook.  I'm in north jersey; if its close maybe I can do something to help.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4132 on: December 22, 2016, 05:09:21 AM »
My decluttering had paid dividends in the last 24 hours. Since finishing some renovating we had to move basically EVERY ITEM on the ground floor of our house (excluding the kitchen). It took... 20 minutes? Including giving everything a good dust / vacuum.

It was quick because there not much in there in the first place, so not much to move,  but also because we weren't having to move stuff to move stuff, you know? Like those puzzles where you have to move everything around and there's only 1 empty square? That used to be us. Now we could move stuff straight to where it needed to go.

Also, moving bookcases, which would have taken ages of loading and reloading (in a very specific order, so every single bin and box and book fit precisely) was easy! Half the shelves are empty, the others are neat and organised essentials. Every box had a lid, no overflowing bins of old!

Thank you to everyone on this thread! I also decided this morning to get rid of a blazer I do not like. Don't know why I've been hanging on to it for so long. Wish me luck as I battle the onslaught of Christmas junk - and I wish it to everyone on here too!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4133 on: December 22, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »
I finally sacrificed my beach pants.

About a year ago I took them home to Mum to get them fixed and she laughed and told me to buy new ones. (She is very thrifty and has a real gift for sewing but there wasn't much she could do with holes in such thin fabric.)

I kept wearing them around the house. The elastic gave out so much I was using a hair elastic to ratchet them on. Then there was a bleach incident and the holey khaki fabric became white and pink at the ankles.

It was time.

:(

Dave1442397

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4134 on: December 22, 2016, 06:35:28 AM »

Dave, do you have more info on this?  I'm not on Facebook.  I'm in north jersey; if its close maybe I can do something to help.

This is in south Jersey (Cherry Hill area), so it's probably out of your range. I don't actually know any of the people involved, but the woman who picked up the coats said she would give me an update at some point. From what I saw on FB, they had a good response from people who could help.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4135 on: December 22, 2016, 06:47:02 AM »
Freecycle lady finally came and picked up the Futon!  My dog is super sad, as she loved laying on it- but something had to go, and it didn't seem like it would be the handmade oak bed...

So now the twin bed moves into the office where the futon used to be and there is room in the baby's room for a crib.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4136 on: December 22, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
5 bags of clothes and toys to Goodwill, including the entire bag of toys that a well meaning neighbor dropped on our doorstep.  One cubic yard of space regained!

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4137 on: December 23, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
I have a filing cabinet that I've moved as-is, without going through and purging anything that might be in it, through several moves. As we're hoping to move again this spring, this is a winter project for me.

I'm sure there is an EXCELLENT reason why I still have a whole file folder of wedding congratulations cards in there... (Married in 1998, divorced in 2004.)

Out they go!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4138 on: December 23, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
Threw out some old essential oils - my holding cabinet is a lot more spacious and I think it's time to reorganize a few drawers in the bathroom. Yay!!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4139 on: December 23, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
Sold 2 of the items listed on Craigslist for a total of $100.  Very happy :-)

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #4140 on: December 23, 2016, 11:48:01 PM »
Cleaned out the fridge very thoroughly. Found a jar of something that expired in 2014. I need to keep a more minimalist kitchen.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #4141 on: December 24, 2016, 01:54:39 AM »
GOt rid of nice futon.  It was our bed for 6 years, and then we got another bed.  But it was very useful for the flow of overnight guests that we had, especially after the grandchild was born.  But 18 mo ago, we moved back to hometown, and now it has housed someone for exactly 3-4 nights in 18 months.  Not often enough, and we wanted that space to be more of a TV, game, and crafting space, not a spare bedroom for no one! 

Sent it to my mom's house (she was in the market for one), and she is happy and I am happy.  It was worth it and we got our use out of it, and now I can say good bye. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4142 on: December 24, 2016, 02:45:50 AM »
I have a filing cabinet that I've moved as-is, without going through and purging anything that might be in it, through several moves. As we're hoping to move again this spring, this is a winter project for me.

I'm sure there is an EXCELLENT reason why I still have a whole file folder of wedding congratulations cards in there... (Married in 1998, divorced in 2004.)

Out they go!

Wow. Just wow.

Glad you could lighten your load.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4143 on: December 24, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »
I have a week off work... I'm taking on the craft room.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:40:51 PM by iowajes »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4144 on: December 24, 2016, 12:03:34 PM »
I have a week off work... I'm talking the craft room.

You're a brave woman.

I'm sorting my papers and reorganizing my files in January.

nessness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4145 on: December 24, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
Gave a loveseat to a friend. Gave away a vase that was too big to be useful at a white elephant exchange (got a multimeter in exchange, but that is both smaller and more useful). Sold my stand mixer on Craigslist. I'm now $150 richer and my house is a couple hundred pounds lighter! :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4146 on: December 24, 2016, 09:21:01 PM »
I'm getting down to the hard stuff. Today I was able to empty half a drawer out of three of a file cabinet of all my undergraduate work. I was feeling like I could get rid of my class notes and just hang on to my writing (which is what I did for some classes I didn't love), but every file brought back such wonderful memories. This is going to be a rough one.

Instead on Monday, I'm going to attack the last cluttered part of my room -- my desk and one box of misc. items that I couldn't find places for as I cleaned out the rest of the room. This will be difficult (I honestly don't know where to put that stuff), but at least not *emotionally* difficult. I may have to leave that file cabinet until the very end of this project.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4147 on: December 25, 2016, 06:10:53 AM »
Can't wait to attack the cabinets this week - having more people at home has shown how much more clutter we have and how much less we can live by. Time for another purge before end of year.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4148 on: December 26, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
Boyfriend took a big stack of DVDs (and I think a few CDs too) to the used-media store and they took everything! $60 cash. Bam!

(He was offered more in trade but "I decided we don't really need anything new." Good boy!)

Fresh Bread

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4149 on: December 27, 2016, 12:22:27 AM »
Received Spark Joy by Marie Kondo for Chrissy, read the whole thing yesterday! Wow, I know it's not for everyone but I'm very very excited. I think I was Japanese in a past life. I was worried about the books but I think I can handle it.

So, Thurs is expected to be about 38C so is an ideal day to lock myself indoors with air con/ fans and get into it. I've already started saying thank you to my things when I use them, hubby thinks I've gone mad!