Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 858629 times)

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3900 on: October 17, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now.

I bet somebody out there wants it! I've definitely seen women trying on the wedding dresses at Salvation Army, and some of those dresses are reallll "vintage."

Have you tried putting it on craigslist? A friend of mine bought her wedding dress on craiglist for $50 -- she was so thrilled. It might even be fun to meet a bride-to-be who's giving your dress a second life :)

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3901 on: October 17, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
I couldn't get anyone to buy my wedding dress either, even when I listed it on CL for 5 bucks. It was at least 10 years old at that point - so, not vintage but also not modern. Ended up donating it, because I was NOT moving with it again!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3902 on: October 17, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
I had success with a local want ads newsletter selling my first dress.  Traditional, white, poofy, lace, froo froo, the whole deal.  I cannot remember how much my dad paid for it.  I sold it, along with the veil, necklace and earrings, to a special needs woman for $100.  She was so happy as was I.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #3903 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Strangely, I find disposing of old computers a joy...    2 old HP laptops bit the dust last year and weren't worth fixing and had been sitting on shelves...    Removed the hard drives and pummelled them with a large hammer (shattered disk drives make such nice tinkly sounds), then recycled the batteries and carcases separately...   MOST satisfying!   :)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3904 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I bought my wedding dress for $200 from a Goodwill. It was from the 80s (the scrunchy straps over the shoulder of an otherwise off the shoulder dress gave it away) and I bought it in 2006. I loved it.

Frankies Girl

• Handlebar Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #3905 on: October 17, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Dress is gone! Dropped off at goodwill this afternoon and the went to the grocery and bought crap food, came home, ate lots of crap and had a very minor panic attack and the took an epic nap. But it is gone and I think I am just going to pretend it is around here for a while until it doesn't cause me to feel bad thinking about it.

And yes I am happy I did it. But fighting the programming is still hard.

And I could have tried to sell it, but honestly I get weird about dealing with people in general, and if I was lucky I might get $50 for my efforts, and it would be hour or two of dealing with taking photos, writing up the description, getting a throwaway email for listing, fielding questions and wanting to see more photos and then having to travel to meet up if I actually did get anyone interested... the money just wasn't worth the efforts (although it was still a very pretty dress - just not in style at the moment).

And the KonMa method would have caused me to personify the dress and feel awful for abandoning it at a grungy thrift store... I didn't want to even open the box other than to make sure the dress actually was in there because seeing it or handling it would cause me to attach HARD again. I already have to avoid naming my current car and other everyday objects as the last time I had to trade in a vehicle for instance, I bawled like freaking baby because "Aggie" had been with me for 17 years and I felt like I was having her put to sleep like a pet.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:32:18 AM by Frankies Girl »
I frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. Like now.

FIREd as of: March 6th, 2015!

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #3906 on: October 18, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
Got a pile of clothing to take to the op shop :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3907 on: October 18, 2016, 03:29:42 AM »
Dress is gone! Dropped off at goodwill this afternoon and the went to the grocery and bought crap food, came home, ate lots of crap and had a very minor panic attack and the took an epic nap. But it is gone and I think I am just going to pretend it is around here for a while until it doesn't cause me to feel bad thinking about it.

Well done! Someone is going to love it - even if you worry that the style is dated a talented seamstress can turn it into something else entirely. I sure some bride is going to be thrilled.

So I sent something to charity last week I have just thought of a use for. Argh! However, PSA, the world hasn't stopped turning. It turns out I'm... just fine. A little bummed, but life goes on. The decluttering does get easier!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

And I could have tried to sell it, but honestly I get weird about dealing with people in general, and if I was lucky I might get $50 for my efforts, and it would be hour or two of dealing with taking photos, writing up the description, getting a throwaway email for listing, fielding questions and wanting to see more photos and then having to travel to meet up if I actually did get anyone interested... the money just wasn't worth the efforts (although it was still a very pretty dress - just not in style at the moment).

And the KonMa method would have caused me to personify the dress and feel awful for abandoning it at a grungy thrift store... I didn't want to even open the box other than to make sure the dress actually was in there because seeing it or handling it would cause me to attach HARD again. I already have to avoid naming my current car and other everyday objects as the last time I had to trade in a vehicle for instance, I bawled like freaking baby because "Aggie" had been with me for 17 years and I felt like I was having her put to sleep like a pet.
Totally understood, Frankies Girl.  Glad that you were able to do it anyway!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3909 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
So I sent something to charity last week I have just thought of a use for. Argh! However, PSA, the world hasn't stopped turning. It turns out I'm... just fine. A little bummed, but life goes on. The decluttering does get easier!

I have to take back my no-regrets statement too. Saturday I had a yard sale and got rid of "duplicate" hand tools. Somehow I sold my only trowel for 50 cents. Now I have to patch some cement this week. Argh! They are pretty small patches so I will make do with a plastic knife.

Bravo on the wedding dress, Frankies Girl.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3910 on: October 18, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »
Wow, you totally just made the leap, Frankies Girl! Awesome job!

Don't feel bad about not selling it -- the key here was decluttering, and you rocked it! The fact that it was hard just makes it that much more meaningful that you DID it!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3911 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
Wow, you totally just made the leap, Frankies Girl! Awesome job!

Don't feel bad about not selling it -- the key here was decluttering, and you rocked it! The fact that it was hard just makes it that much more meaningful that you DID it!

You are doing better then me.  I am using you as inspiration.  I still have my wedding dress, and I am divorced.  Plus assorted bridesmaid dresses, most of which are horrible, and the one nice one (a bit like Kate's dress) is too small (many years and a baby ago).
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3912 on: October 19, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

Well done! Someone is going to love it - even if you worry that the style is dated a talented seamstress can turn it into something else entirely. I sure some bride is going to be thrilled.

This.  Example:  A seamstress I know has a client who is going to have a steampunk wedding.  She bought a wedding dress at a thrift shop, is going to dye it down from the bright white, and add kerchiefs and such to it.  She showed us an example.  Fantastic!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3913 on: October 19, 2016, 04:42:55 PM »
Today I decluttered 27 dishtowels, dish rags, and hot pads. All were stained, torn, or generally ratty. Even with getting rid of all that, I have a more than adequate supply of kitchen towels, hot pads/mitts, etc.

The more I think about it, I decide that the reason my house has more things than I have storage for, is that this house is like a dammed up lake. Water from above enters the lake, but doesn't leave until it rises above the level of the dam. For years and years I've bought things, my husband has bought things, and we've been given things. The level of stuff in the house went up all the time. Every once in a while I would get tired of clutter and I'd donate or throw a box of stuff away, but since we were always buying/receiving things, the level of crap really never went down.

The last two months (ever since our basement flood) has been the first time I've systematically gone through rooms/drawers/closets and tossed without mercy. If something hasn't been used or worn in a year, or doesn't provide utility or beauty, out it goes. I'm not totally into the Marie Kondo method, but once or twice I have asked myself whether something made me feel good, or was I just keeping it out of guilt, sentiment, or fear.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3914 on: October 19, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Today I decluttered 27 dishtowels, dish rags, and hot pads. All were stained, torn, or generally ratty. Even with getting rid of all that, I have a more than adequate supply of kitchen towels, hot pads/mitts, etc.

The more I think about it, I decide that the reason my house has more things than I have storage for, is that this house is like a dammed up lake. Water from above enters the lake, but doesn't leave until it rises above the level of the dam. For years and years I've bought things, my husband has bought things, and we've been given things. The level of stuff in the house went up all the time. Every once in a while I would get tired of clutter and I'd donate or throw a box of stuff away, but since we were always buying/receiving things, the level of crap really never went down.

The last two months (ever since our basement flood) has been the first time I've systematically gone through rooms/drawers/closets and tossed without mercy. If something hasn't been used or worn in a year, or doesn't provide utility or beauty, out it goes. I'm not totally into the Marie Kondo method, but once or twice I have asked myself whether something made me feel good, or was I just keeping it out of guilt, sentiment, or fear.

Great progress CU Tiger. The more storage you have, the more stuff you have.

I live in a small apartment. It was liberating when I could finally just put things away instead of playing Tetris with the contents of a cupboard.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3915 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
I FINALLY messaged a friend to see if she could make use of my small cache of knitting supplies. I haven't touched any of it in years and just kept thinking "I'll contact friend A, B, or C and give it to them" but never actually did it (don't see any of these friends very often). Hopefully, the items will be exiting sometime next week when we meet for a drink!
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3916 on: October 20, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »
Got rid of an ice cooler and a wall photoframe. Gave them to my house cleaner who was so happy to get them. Thinking I should get rid of some clothes while I'm at it as well.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3917 on: October 20, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
Office clean-out day.

I'm tossing a couple of hundred newspapers, offloading books and magazines to colleagues, and recycling a pile of notes I no longer need.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3918 on: October 21, 2016, 03:04:58 AM »

This is really key. I stopped bringing in ANYTHING except food. I mean, even 'consumable' stuff I stopped, until we ran out, so I could see what it was like to be without.

Makeup remover? I just never bought it again, because actually, I prefer face wipes. I ran out of those, and after a couple of days decided yes, I do want to 'stock' them.

I have reduced the number of 'products' in my house so much this way. Turns out dish soap is fine for pretty much all household cleaning, and we both reach for it anyway, since it is on the counter and the 'multi-purpose' cleaner was under the sink. I never replaced it.

Ladies shave gel? Actually, conditioner works perfectly and is helping me use up three half used bottles that would last for years if I only used them on my head.

Q-tips? Yes, useful. Replenished.

The only thing I didn't let us fully run out of was toothpaste & loo roll. Everything else it was really eye opening to try a substitute and see if I liked the results any less.

Also, this may seem mean, but gifts? I decide straight away - would I have BOUGHT this if I had the budget? If not, it gets put in the donate box immediately. I don't need to feel guilty / wonder / obsess over it for a few months and then give it away. I thank the giver genuinely, because I am thankful that they were thinking of me, and know I can pass the item onto someone who will love it more, whilst honouring the giver's intention of making me feel loved and special.

Sidenote - no-one has ever asked where a gift they have given me is. Just like I would never ask someone else that.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3919 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
@theadvicist, 

Yes I found great relief at allowing things to run out as well. I had so many lotions and shampoos and travel conditioners and spare make up remover bottles and multiple bottles of aspirin and so on.  I always used to just buy more stuff occasionally until I was haunted by bottles.  I must confess I did get rid of a few things but mainly I let them run out and now have one of each thing and no more. Aaaaaah!  What a freeing feeling.  I still have about 5 different tubes of lotion but they are on their last legs.

I was in a pharmacy yesterday and that old urge to restock came over me and I shook it off and moved on to the cashier with the one item I went to buy. Phew!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3920 on: October 21, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
Makeup remover? I just never bought it again, because actually, I prefer face wipes. I ran out of those, and after a couple of days decided yes, I do want to 'stock' them.

I fell in love with a cleanser from FatFaceCo that was an oil based cleanser that worked well for waterproof makeup remover. I ran out and did not replace it and instead tried using coconut oil (I already have a jar for moisturizing purposes in the bathroom) and wouldn't you know it worked just the same!

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3921 on: October 22, 2016, 12:59:25 AM »
My DH is out at a friends birthday tonight. I'm at home looking after the tiny person. Time to reorganise the lounge. And a few things will probably end up in the donate box

Love the concept of a donate box, really easy to get rid of stuff. Having it there, but out of site, is a great way to remove the needing something two seconds after you get rid of it.
One box is already in the car ready to drop off when we go out tomorrow.

We are planning to relocating in the next year or two (based round tiny people and the lifestyle we want to promote for them) and that's a great motivator to ask myself "do I really want to shift this?" and/or "does this fit in my ideal home?"

Nederstash

• Stubble
« Reply #3922 on: October 22, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
I've been attacking my office for the past two weeks. I've been selling a lot online lately and stuff has just been flying out of the house! Generally small stuff, some books, a board game, a lamp et cetera. Really happy with the progress! Some things only sell for like 5 bucks, but it adds up quickly.

I live in an old house with built-in closets and I've cleared two of them so extensively that I'm considering just putting my books in there. I now have three bookcases in my office and once I declutter them, I would be able to get rid of all three... and then, I also have a desk in my office that I never really use (I prefer to sit at the kitchen table with my laptop). If I got rid of the desk and the bookcases, using my now-empty built-in closets to store my important books, I would only have 1 item left in my office... the litter box.

I think I'll keep the desk. Makes me look less like a crazy cat lady...

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3923 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Where is she? Lurking around somewhere. Come on, I know you're online!......

Wishing a very special happy birthday to our resident decluttering expert mustachepungoeshere!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3924 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »
Where is she? Lurking around somewhere. Come on, I know you're online!......

Wishing a very special happy birthday to our resident decluttering expert mustachepungoeshere!

Thanks mate! And thanks for being part of my birthday weekend extravaganza! It meant a lot that you were there to celebrate with me.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #3925 on: October 24, 2016, 02:03:59 AM »
Happy birthday!

I've put a t-shirt and 2 pairs of work trousers in a donation bag. They no longer fit me, but if I do lose the weight I'm unlikely to be the same shape, so better they go now rather than lurk in my wardrobe indefinitely.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3926 on: October 24, 2016, 04:42:31 AM »
I have a new rule.

Everytime I walk out the front door, morning and evening, I take something to the bin.

It seems to be working in getting rid of paper, cartons, recyclables, old wallet cards etc. May not be efficient, but it feels good to take things outside, rather than constantly bringing them in.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3927 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:42 AM »
I do a cull of the kitchen every year before christmass. Lets me see if I have something I actually do use that needs replacing (if so it goes on the christmass wish list) and toss out those things I don't use before new things might come in.

I find items I use every day tend to go dodgy without me noticing, so I need to look at them all in one go. Is that pan a-ok? Is that plastic item safe to use? This year I've already replaced my oven and blender, so I do hope nothing else is ready to break. Last year I got new frying pans and plastic containers.

Plan for this week: look at my (ever growing) collection of plastic plant pots and see if I really need a heap of each size or (most likely) can fill my outdoor space to the brim with plants having less of them. Also bring my pile of no longer useable clothes to a place for fabric recycling.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3928 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
Just saw a nice summary of some of the biggest foes in decluttering:
http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/organizing-tips/g3848/unhappy-clutter-decor/?slide=1

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3929 on: October 27, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
So not so much decluttering, as preventing recluttering. Yesterday at the supermarket there was an offer of two tubs of margarine with a free baking tray for 2. 2!!!!

I put it in my trolley. Then I thought about it and... I would have to make something just to use up the margarine because it's not something we buy. The baking tray wasn't a great shape for my needs - it was square and a rectangle would work better for what I use it for. Also... all that stuff for 2... someone's losing out, and I'm guessing it was whoever had to make that cheap baking tray in China.

I put it back.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3930 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »
Way to go!

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3931 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
Had a garage sale last weekend. Cleared out the basement (we've been putting stuff down there for months in preparation for the sale) and made $450. Win-win!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3932 on: October 27, 2016, 08:08:07 PM »
Tonight I went back to my filing cabinet and got rid of a stack of papers 4" high. That felt good, especially since it went out in the recycling.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: October 28, 2016, 02:31:55 AM »
Tackled the piles of post and papers. I have stopped most things coming through, but husband is stubborn about keeping a credit card for work expenses which still has paper statements. Made a small pile for him and asked him to sort, since there were only a few items he did.

The rest of the stuff I actioned / filed / binned. I know I should do it daily, but when I've been dealing with paper all day at work it just seems like the final insult to come home to more of it on the doormat, and I let it pile up. Must do better. And carry on unsubscribing from anything I can, it's made a big difference.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3934 on: October 28, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »
Giving away several things on Buy Nothing today :D

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3935 on: October 28, 2016, 03:28:21 AM »
Last week I cleaned out a bunch of books and clothes, and then took them to the swapmeet and sold them, I only made $50 but still better than nothing. everything I didnt sell was donated to the salvos.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3936 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
Boyfriend and I did some work on our basement storage locker in our building. In a former life, I was a journalist/newspaper page designer and I think I kept EVERY single one of my clips. Sometimes multiple copies. We're talking daily reporting for 5 years followed by 2 years of design.

Did I mention this was 20 years ago and I don't do this any more so these are little to no value as work samples? And that they all looked pretty awful anyway, all yellowed and sometimes disintegrating? And that I've been hauling these from apartment to apartment since the mid-90s?!?

I got through one entire box of clips. One big plastic bin of them to go. This was harder than I imagined because I really loved these jobs and looking through my work brought back lots of good memories and a sense of accomplishment. I told Boyfriend that I felt like I was throwing out literally years of my life, so much hard work, so many late nights. But I stayed strong and kept only a couple of samples that were my best work, just for the memory.

Also trashed a bunch of handmade craft fair displays that I don't use any more because they don't work with my current setup. Fought that "but if I do X type of show then I'll need something like this" or "maybe it'll be useful someday" syndrome! Still one entire bin of store-bought displays like necklace busts and earring holders, that I can probably sell to some other crafter.

Usually I'm pretty ruthless about pitching stuff but these two categories - craft show supplies/displays and my past work - are tough for me.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3937 on: October 30, 2016, 05:12:47 AM »
Brought 2 bags to Goodwill yesterday but haven't made much progress other than that.  Need to renew my efforts :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3938 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
Finally drove a couple boxes that were sitting in the garage to Goodwill. But it seems like ItsDeductible is having serious issues since their update, it keeps eating my data. Very frustrating. Anyone else having this problem?
The Roughest Mustachian on the Nicest Block: my journal
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3939 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
I have sort of slowed down on my decluttering efforts lately. I did give a huge load of stuff away in August, but not much since then. I have some craft stuff by the door to give to a lady that can use it, and I will make another attack on the basement. Posting here to make sure I follow through. if I do it before Tuesday, it will still count for October. lol.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3940 on: October 30, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
Yesterday I sent off a bag of canning jar rings to someone on Facebook.  I still need to get rid of another bag.  This morning tossed some stuff that was in the work space in the garage (like empty packaging that "might be useful someday, and a pair of shoes that were worn out and missing the insoles).

Getting closer to having all my the garden produce put up for winter.  I think having piles of tomatoes and potatoes and things laying around counts as clutter.

And DH's football season is coming to a close, so he can put all that crap away, and we might have clear counter spaces in the house again.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3941 on: October 30, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
I've always wanted to paint and draw. I have some materials and they are hard to part with. I don't use them but I'm hopeful. :D

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3942 on: October 30, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
I've always wanted to paint and draw. I have some materials and they are hard to part with. I don't use them but I'm hopeful. :D

It's hard for me to do this as well, because it's for me an admission that I did not do the thing I wanted to do.  I don't really care about the stuff itself, just what it represents.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3943 on: October 30, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
I only pop in here once in a while but you all keep inspiring me!  Just posted a few toys on an online sale group just now . . . but should probably just bring them all to the thrift shop!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
I should add that I am rereading Simplicity Parenting and this is encouraging me to revisit and pare down the visual clutter, physical clutter and choices my boy has access to.  I am beginning to wonder if he doesn't have some anxiety as falling asleep is difficult for him - fights it tooth and nail - and he doesn't do it on his own, only with momma or daddy laying with him.  I wonder if some changes in the household might help.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3945 on: October 30, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
Good progress this week - removed pictures from a few frames on the wall and the shelf that I hate to dust and donated them. Worked through 3 big boxes of supplies from former side gig and sold 1 box for $60, trashed one box, and have a drop off date booked for the third.  I could have made $100-200 for the supplies but I just wanted it gone so I advertised it that way and it was taken away within a few hours. Feeling so free and calm now. I should have done this ages ago.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3946 on: October 31, 2016, 03:22:31 AM »

I was like this with jewellery making (and the supplies). I always thought I wanted to do it and would give it a go sometime!

But then I realised. I have plenty of free time. I choose to use it dressmaking and cooking. So actually, I didn't want to do the jewellery making as much as I thought I did, or I would have done it already.

I wanted to want to make jewellery. But I had the supplies and the time available, so it turns out I didn't actually want to make jewellery.

Just my experience.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3947 on: October 31, 2016, 03:40:38 AM »
We got a large plastic tub of DH's old toys from his mum a couple of months ago. Last week I sorted it into what I thought would be the "keep" and "Chuck" piles, then left him to check over and change anything I'd gotten wrong. We've kept at most a quarter of the box! It made it easier on him to have it pre-sorted. It's easier to answer "right pile - y/n" than for him to pick up each piece, try to recollect memories, then get sentimental, and find it hard to do more than a piece or two at once.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3948 on: October 31, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »
Got rid of a bag of clothing. Too big or worn out. 

Returned a borrowed book.

Delivered a fairly large piece of art.

Slow and steady for me. I did the big purge a couple years ago, now I am finding empty space in my cupboards. I guess I completely changed my consumption patterns.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
I did some Spring (or Autumn) cleaning today and found some more rubbish and things to be binned or put into the recycling.