Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1066448 times)

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3850 on: September 25, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
Finally cleared out my patio closet. I had replaced two small wicker chairs with a larger one that is easier on my back, and I had never gotten around to disposing of a rusty folding chair the previous owner had left. The folding chair wasn't salvageable, but I did put the wicker chairs out in the "please take this" area of my complex where residents tend to leave hand-me-down items. I was pleased to say that when I took a bag of trash out later the chairs were gone. I've looked around the other patios to see where they moved on to, but haven't spotted them yet!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #3851 on: September 26, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
I added 10-12 mini shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles and another shirt to the donation pile I've been yapping about for weeks.  And I'm pleased to say I finally dropped off the donation this morning.  Two bags of items out of my life forever.  :D

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #3852 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
So I think this would be a good thread for me. I don't actually have that much stuff as I live in a small apartment, but I still have more than I need. I am also a bit of a hoarder. I have clothes that are getting seriously worn out which I still wear and can't bring myself to throw away. I also always seem to have snail mail that seems vaguely important so I don't throw it away and eventually it builds up. And forgotten pantry items that I should use up. And a bunch of other things.

If you're anything like me please join me in getting rid of your stuff. Whether this means throwing them out, donating them, giving them to friends/family, eating them, or selling them.

If you have any tips on how to deal with the my-clothes-have-holes-but-are-so-comfy or I-may-need-this-someday syndrome, please share. And also let me know when there are cases where I-may-need-this syndrome actually makes sense, so I can identify what things I should actually keep and what I should throw.

My progress so far:

I recently managed to find some clothes that I donated to a charity bin.

And today I put up an ad on an online board to sell off a kitchen appliance that I don't use. Hopefully I'll get a buyer.

I'm going to try to find more things I can get rid of. I may actually be moving out of my place within a year or so, which provides extra incentive.

Feel free to join me!
Ive been using an app called OFFERUP to get rid of stuff collecting lots of dust over the years that I never use. Ive been putting it all on my mortgage and its been a huge help towards becoming 100% debt free !!!!!! I like OFFERUP because you post it once and forget about it. Unlike craigslist where you have to baby sit your ad.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3853 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »
Two more bags of books and magazines donated.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3854 on: September 27, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
Threw out a tube of anti-itch cream last night. It expired in 2005. I think I need to go through the bathroom cabinet.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3855 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
I put up a few things on our Buy Nothing neighborhood group.  I've also been amassing a pile of stuff to donate to the Salvation Army.  I'm planning to do a drop off on Saturday afternoon. 

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #3856 on: September 28, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
So I think this would be a good thread for me. I don't actually have that much stuff as I live in a small apartment, but I still have more than I need. I am also a bit of a hoarder. I have clothes that are getting seriously worn out which I still wear and can't bring myself to throw away. I also always seem to have snail mail that seems vaguely important so I don't throw it away and eventually it builds up. And forgotten pantry items that I should use up. And a bunch of other things.

If you're anything like me please join me in getting rid of your stuff. Whether this means throwing them out, donating them, giving them to friends/family, eating them, or selling them.

If you have any tips on how to deal with the my-clothes-have-holes-but-are-so-comfy or I-may-need-this-someday syndrome, please share. And also let me know when there are cases where I-may-need-this syndrome actually makes sense, so I can identify what things I should actually keep and what I should throw.

My progress so far:

I recently managed to find some clothes that I donated to a charity bin.

And today I put up an ad on an online board to sell off a kitchen appliance that I don't use. Hopefully I'll get a buyer.

I'm going to try to find more things I can get rid of. I may actually be moving out of my place within a year or so, which provides extra incentive.

Feel free to join me!
I SOLD AN OLD SUBARU BACK RUBBER MAT FOR $90 TODAY AND A SET OF SUBARU SKI RACKS FOR $70 AND 1OO% OF IT IS GOING ONTO MY MORTGAGE !!!! YOOHOO !!!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3857 on: September 28, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
Proud of myself for finally sitting down and listing ~15 items on eBay tonight.  I've been dragging my feet on it for months. 

Also gave my dad a couple reusable bags as he was leaving the other day.

We're preparing for an office move, so rather than trust the movers to get my things back to me, I've taken most of my stuff home, and have also tossed/recycled loads of stuff in the process.  So far, I've hardly noticed that I have almost nothing at my office.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3858 on: September 28, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
Neighbour posted on our FB street group that she needed packing boxes. Now the last of our boxes from the move (over a year ago...) are finally out of the house :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3859 on: September 28, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
2 Buy Nothing giveaways.  5 items out of the house! 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3860 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
I've started another round of the minimalist game.

Came up with three bags of clothes for charity over the weekend. (Most of it belonged to my husband, and all of it is being donated with his permission. I handle all the washing, folding and ironing in our house, and I was constantly feeling frustrated. All his favourite clothes were either being worn, waiting to be washed or waiting to be ironed, so what the hell is filling up the cupboard? This has made a dent.)

I'm also making a concerted effort to use up my stash of beautiful stationery.

And I'm promptly triaging the Stuff that husband brings home from work trips. Papers and receipts are scanned and/or trashed. Gifts (battery packs, LED torches, USBs, clothes, hats, Moleskin notebooks, pens, etc) and travel freebies (business/first class airline goodies, hotel toiletries) are given to charity or passed on to family or friends who ask.

Previously he wanted to keep everything as a memento, but he slowly realised it was just way too much Stuff (and also, he has his work product, the content he creates, to remember the trips.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3861 on: October 04, 2016, 07:27:33 AM »
I've been good at getting items selected to donate... I've been bad at donating them.

The result was a car full of random items rolling around, half-filled boxes, and bags. And also bags with useful things in, such as my running gear, which was adding to the confusion and mess.

At the weekend I went through everything and bagged / boxed it properly for donation / the tip / the office. Wow, that feels better. I added a few more items too.

I really need to get some stuff listed on ebay. I have been putting it off so long, but 1) i want the money, as the budget is tight this month 2) I want the space back 3) these are good items which will sell for decent money. Why can't I motivate myself?!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3862 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »
After finishing the entire KonMari method, I felt a few specific items niggling me.  I decided to re-do the sorting of my clothes and books and it turns out, all the items annoying my mind were not sparking joy.  Bye bye!  Got rid of a couple t-shirts and several pants. 

I re-affirmed to keep all my books and found a new recipe in one of the oft-neglected cookbooks: eggplant coconut curry.  It turned out great, yum!
Follow my journey to become an astronaut here!
Or my journal here

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3863 on: October 05, 2016, 05:37:42 AM »
As it's autumn now I thought I would review my wardrobe and my house in general, I gathered up a bag of clothes off to donation.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3864 on: October 05, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
I'm having another garage sale with my neighbor in a couple of weeks. We're in New England so I hope it's not too cold by them.

There is nothing like a deadline to motivate me. Yesterday went through the hand tools. There were at least 3 of everything. Why? Because I would not be able to find something and go buy another one. What a waste. All organized now.

Next is the garage. Ugh. Mostly old plastic plant pots. Those will probably just end up in the trash. You can't really do anything with them and everybody else has a million already as well.

As someone else stated, the work of getting rid of stuff makes one much more considered as to what comes into the house.
Passed ER second year anniversary

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3865 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
i listed books that i had hanging around yesterday. the first one sold on amazon today!
next is the second round of purging my fall/winter clothes.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #3866 on: October 05, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
+1 regarding being more cognizant of what comes in to the house.  I attended an event yesterday which featured lots of give away swag.  I carefully chose a first aid cold pack and a lip balm.

I've been doing some fall sprucing up here at the office:

~Took out the last ream of paper out of it's box, stored it in the cupboard under the printer, and recycled the box
~Shredded and tossed 1.5 month's worth of stuff
~Stored my old computer (I need to pull off a few files before ridding of it completely) and keyboard
~DH took my old executive chair to his shop to hopefully repair it and he'll use it there
~Hung the broom and dustpan on an extra coat hook
~Put a tote full of giveaway marketing items into a cupboard
~Organized the political signs, stakes and stickers I've been giving away into one place

Next up:
~A backlog of paper files to filing cabinets
~Hang picture to get it off a surface
~Dust
~Sweep
~Wipe down microwave
~Clear out desk drawers

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3867 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Broken umbrella and emptied pen to the trash. 

Throwing something like that away when I only have one umbrella or two pens is such a different feeling than when I had no idea how many umbrellas were in the car and in the closet or how many pens I picked up for free. I'm sure it sounds silly.  It might even be easier to throw things away now.  Previously I just "had things" for unidentifide reasons. Now if something no longer serves a purpose I can let it go, because it actually had a purpose to begin with and now it doesn't. 

Gave some fabric to an aquantence.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3868 on: October 06, 2016, 03:23:02 AM »
I did the 'switch' yesterday from summer clothes to winter. Well, I took the winter ones out, and put away a few freshly washed summer things, the rest will go away once they've been washed for the final time this year.

I was surprised (and, I admit, disappointed) by how few non-work winter clothes I have. I must have really culled last year, huh? And even worse, I don't -love- any of them, except one top which is now pilling :(

My work wardrobe is in better shape. I guess I better get making! Also, in going through my fabric stash and looking for fabric to make into new casual stuff, I identified one piece I don't like. Charity shops round here don't sell fabric (at least, I have never ever seen any) so I think they wouldn't know what to do with it. I am tempted to make it into infinity scarves for Christmas presents, but that seems mean since I don't like the fabric. Ah, I just had a brainwave! I will make it into infinity scarves and give THOSE to charity. Perfect.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3869 on: October 06, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Great week for me: 2 bags of items donated to charity shops, giving me 15% off on a needed purchase and keeping me from online shopping. Also listened to a few friends and matched them with robes, frames, yarn, and dishes they were looking for from my donate pile before they left the house. I love it when I know the items will be used immediately!  Also recycled a race T-shirt into a drawstring backpack to take to the gym use since I didn't have anything suitable for that am trying to get back into the routine. So way more items out than in, and re-use for the win.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3870 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
I FINALLY did it! I went through my college papers, including love poetry from ex's and photos of dead relatives and ALL that impossibly awful stuff I've put off for years.

Thank you guys.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3871 on: October 07, 2016, 03:17:08 AM »
I FINALLY did it! I went through my college papers, including love poetry from ex's and photos of dead relatives and ALL that impossibly awful stuff I've put off for years.

Thank you guys.

Well done you! That sounds like a huge (and emotionally draining) task. Does it feel good to have it behind you?

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3872 on: October 07, 2016, 06:13:25 AM »
Cleaned out the entire garage in one day. And found a use for larger plastic plant pots - storage for one coiled outdoor electrical extension cord each. No more tangled mess.

There was quite a bit of stuff I had forgotten about for the yard sale - hedge trimmer I am afraid to use, huge space-sucking car battery charger for clunker car I no longer have.

Having a surprising amount of success with telling myself in a stern parental tone "You HAVE to" when facing big bad tasks. If I can just get started I get absorbed quickly and the result is always such a relief.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3873 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »

Thank you guys.

Well done you! That sounds like a huge (and emotionally draining) task. Does it feel good to have it behind you?

It does feel great. I'll probably need to take another pass down the road- I went from two bins down to one. The way I got through it was just deciding I wouldn't directly confront the really hard stuff. I would group them together, and move them to the top of the other box, so they can't "surprise me" in the future. I will know they're there, right from the get go. I put a sill poem from the ex on the top, as a reminder/warning, but not one with much emotional weight. This was really the only way I could make myself start, since I've managed to put it off for years.

My eventual goal is to move all the photos into a real album, and scan them into the computer too. And do the same with the few exams and essays I kept- scan them in with prof comments and everything. Then I would be down to just a few odds and ends (like old coins/foreign currencies). So there still a stuff to be done, but hopefully by rearranging it into chunks, the barrier to entry will be lower. It won't be a minefield in the same sense.

Funny enough, the way I got motivated to do it was watching videos of other people decluttering their closets on YouTube. Silly, but it worked!
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3874 on: October 08, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
A whole van load of stuff left the garage yesterday - random bits of this and that. I still have lots to do but there is a noticeable difference in the house.  The basement is looking better and we may be able to park in the garage before the snow flies!
Seeing the possibilities

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #3875 on: October 08, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
Going through this process showed me how much money we wasted by buying stuff we didn't need/use over the years. Also, I realized that the bigger your house the more you accumulate. I didn't go to the extreme route but i have been getting rid of stuff almost everyday. We still have a long way to go. But, by the time we reach FI, we should get rid of everything we have so we can travel freely. Slow and steady always wins. :-)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3876 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

Thank you guys.

Good job!

Also, I am astounded you received love poetry. I have been married almost 20 years, but never, before or after I was married, have I received a poem. We lean towards the pragmatic, but a small part of me would love for my husband to even say, "I read this poem and thought of you."
It is a lovely thing that you have inspired poetry.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3877 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
I sold six music CDs. Donated two scarves, one good pair of wool socks, a pin, and seven paperbacks. Recycled a paper garbage bag of miscellaneous paper.

The work continues, because the clutter seems endless.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3878 on: October 08, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »

Thank you guys.

Good job!

Also, I am astounded you received love poetry. I have been married almost 20 years, but never, before or after I was married, have I received a poem. We lean towards the pragmatic, but a small part of me would love for my husband to even say, "I read this poem and thought of you."
It is a lovely thing that you have inspired poetry.

I guess it is pretty cool =) And part of why I keep them. The relationship was a complete wreck otherwise, that brought out awful parts of my personality that I don't like. But that was the pattern the relationship took- these volatile swoops up and down. We would have awful yelling matches, be the worst versions of ourselves, etc. But then we would make up, and he would write me poetry (I wrote quite a bit for him as well, although not nearly as good- he's published several pieces now). He literally commissioned some of his friends who are professional musicians, and played one part himself, and composed, sang, and recorded two songs for me. Really incredible from that perspective, and I do treasure those aspects of that relationship, but it was too volatile to be healthy for either of us. We're both married to other people now, and far better off for it. My husband and I are *much* more pragmatic. He once wrote "I love you, happy birthday" on the side of a coffee cup for me because we both dislike greeting cards =) It works for us. There aren't any mandolin-driven love songs, but my day to day life is peaceful and happy and something I am unfalteringly grateful for every day, five years later.

Maybe it's influenced by my own experiences, but I think all the romance novel big sweeping gestures are when we're trying to cover for our own uncertainties- we're trying to convince ourselves, and yell louder than our own hearts. What's that saying about the zealot being the one who holds the most doubts?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3879 on: October 10, 2016, 04:48:43 AM »
I did the 'switch' yesterday from summer clothes to winter. Well, I took the winter ones out, and put away a few freshly washed summer things, the rest will go away once they've been washed for the final time this year.

I was surprised (and, I admit, disappointed) by how few non-work winter clothes I have. I must have really culled last year, huh? And even worse, I don't -love- any of them, except one top which is now pilling :(

Well ha ha ha. Joke's on me. I haven't been as good at decluttering as I thought I had - this weekend I found the rest of my winter clothes!! I really thought I'd pulled them all out, until I realised I had no coat... That's when I found three bags at the bottom of my wardrobe.

So, it's actually kind of good news, because like I said I am short of winter clothes. But, wow, despite being 'short' on clothes, my wardrobe is bursting - how is that possible?

I still have some summer stuff in the mix, so I need to get that put away. Then I can cull / plan what I need. Tops are going to be my main focus. I'm set for dresses, for work and casual, but I have nothing to wear with skirts.

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3880 on: October 11, 2016, 12:54:08 AM »
I now have one completely empty bedroom and in my bedroom I now have 3 empty draws (my draws all use to overflow with stuff as well as things in the now empty room)

Two more rooms to go (spare bedroom, loungeroom) and I am done

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3881 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
Update: already two of the books i listed have sold.
i'm going to go back thru my closet to purge cheap/disliked items.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3882 on: October 15, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
Tossed four packets of seeds.  I tried growing some fall spinach and none of it sprouted.  All the seeds were minimum 4 years ago, so out they go. 

Cleaned up the spinach failure, cleaned my potted plants and got them back in the house. 

Cooked a bean/grain mix that I just don't like. Only about 1 cup of the mix left. Waste not, want not. Can't wait to have that jar out of my cupboard.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:57:31 PM by PMG »

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3883 on: October 15, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
Out went 5 boxes of books and another bag of clothes.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3884 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:08 AM »
Had a yard sale yesterday with my neighbor. It was cold here is MA. But I got rid of all the big items I had cleaned out of the garage last week. I'll take it over the hassle of waiting for Craigslist pickups for each one.

If you live in NE though, and you want a big turnout, don't have your yard sale in October. Doh.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3885 on: October 16, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »
I have been cleaning out a large hall closet. It was intended as a linen closet, but I use it for miscellaneous storage.

My goal was to clear one shelf to provide extra pantry storage. The closet is right near the kitchen.

Mission accomplished. Two garbage bags of stuff discarded. I have also relocated some useful items that I had been trying to find: a cordless drill, 2 complete sets of screwdrivers, and a crowbar.

Much easier to find and use are: household tools, small camping and outdoor stuff, and painting stuff.

The two cats found this hugely entertaining. They find "stuff" very interesting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3886 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »
Intangible decluttering for me today.

I deleted more than 25,000 work emails.

And, in the process of preparing my 2017 diary, I got rutheless with which birthdays and anniversaries I copied in for next year.

I left out more than two dozen. Previously I noted everything, but today I decided I don't need the visual pollution (a phrase I have stolen gleefully from marty998).

Why put myself through the process of opening my diary of a morning, seeing a note about birthdays/anniversaries, reading it, thinking, "Oh, that's the wedding anniversary for friends I haven't seen for four years and who have since moved overseas?"

Now I'm just sticking to the events I will actually act on. Post a card, send a text, call, reach out on Facebook, bake a cake, invite over for dinner. If I'm not doing any of those, they're not going in the diary.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3887 on: October 17, 2016, 01:19:34 AM »
I hope you have copied my birthday in there!

25,000 emails holy crap. Good thing you are able to delete them... once mine get archived by IT we can't purge them. You have to delete them before the 6 week auto archive kicks in.

Of course, I am terrible at it, so I have well over 50,000 emails in there.

I need to put stuff away when I get home. Filing of bills, clothes hung up to dry, gym towels left on ding room chairs. Kitchen bench covered in odds and sods.

Reporting here in advance of actually decluttering doesn't count, does it?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3888 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:07 AM »
I hope you have copied my birthday in there!

Of course. And as if I would forget!

25,000 emails holy crap. Good thing you are able to delete them... once mine get archived by IT we can't purge them. You have to delete them before the 6 week auto archive kicks in.

Of course, I am terrible at it, so I have well over 50,000 emails in there.

I need to put stuff away when I get home. Filing of bills, clothes hung up to dry, gym towels left on ding room chairs. Kitchen bench covered in odds and sods.

Reporting here in advance of actually decluttering doesn't count, does it?

I am mostly deleting them without reading, but I've left some that need to be acted on (I refuse to say actioned) before being culled. Mostly saving contacts.

No, it doesn't count. :) And hanging out your washing doesn't even count as decluttering! :)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #3889 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
I'm sitting here right now staring at a pile of stuff designated for Goodwill piled in a living room chair, and it's been sitting there for the past 3 days. Including my $#% wedding dress I should have never bought (wanted a low key fun wedding with a dress or costume I could wear again. Mother threw a fit about not having a white poofy dress and walking down an aisle and insisted on buying one, so I caved).

I hate the idea of not getting a dime for this dress, and yet I did not spend a single dime of my own money on this dress. It was pretty and I still think so, but I honestly have no use for it and I have plenty of photos of the big day, so I don't know why the stupid thing causes me to freeze up trying to get it out of the house. I lost over 100 lbs., so even if I wanted to wear it as a costume, it would fall off me, and the box is HUGE and no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now. I am hung up on the stupid sunk cost fallacy and it wasn't even my money!

Sigh. I really hate being borderline cheap and having packrat tendencies sometimes.

I've managed to sell 5 bins full of books for just over $60, camera equipment for $60, Have a long box of comics and a few boxes of miscellaneous toys to go to the comic shop in November (they didn't want anything until after their big sale end of October).

I just went and started trying to look through our front room's closets again to see if there is more stuff to purge, and there actually isn't. It's been taken from full to bursting to about 50% empty, and the stuff in there is all "have a use" stuff.

I really need to tackle my garage, but that's likely next month.

Dress and other crap going out today. Even if I end up breaking down crying driving away, I want it gone, so the stupid emotional attachment to a stupid dress will just have to be dealt with after the fact. I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

I frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. Like now.

FIREd as of: March 6th, 2015!

Ting is awesome! Get $25 if you use my referral code: https://z0p1rd31m89.ting.com/

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3890 on: October 17, 2016, 05:53:29 AM »
I don't know. I bought my dress second hand and thought I'd be fine selling it off afterwards, but it's still sitting in my cupboard and I have zero desire to get rid of it. Although in my case, I still fit it and am contemplating if there any way I can refashion it to be worn again... But, $1k! It cost so much! I doubt if get that much for it anyway...

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3891 on: October 17, 2016, 06:29:06 AM »
I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

I have sets of classic books from my father and possibly from my grandfather. Unfortunately my dad stored them in the attic and most of them are falling apart or have mildew. I can't even give them away. So I started throwing them out. It is wrenching to see them out with the trash, but after they get picked up I just feel lighter. So far I regret nothing I have sold, given away, or thrown out.

Imagine some cash-strapped engaged girl going through Goodwill dresses and discovering yours, which is the exact sort of style that would look good on her.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3892 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
12 books and 2 badly fitting t-shirts gone :-D

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3893 on: October 17, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
I'm sitting here right now staring at a pile of stuff designated for Goodwill piled in a living room chair, and it's been sitting there for the past 3 days. Including my $#% wedding dress I should have never bought (wanted a low key fun wedding with a dress or costume I could wear again. Mother threw a fit about not having a white poofy dress and walking down an aisle and insisted on buying one, so I caved).

I hate the idea of not getting a dime for this dress, and yet I did not spend a single dime of my own money on this dress. It was pretty and I still think so, but I honestly have no use for it and I have plenty of photos of the big day, so I don't know why the stupid thing causes me to freeze up trying to get it out of the house. I lost over 100 lbs., so even if I wanted to wear it as a costume, it would fall off me, and the box is HUGE and no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now. I am hung up on the stupid sunk cost fallacy and it wasn't even my money!

Sigh. I really hate being borderline cheap and having packrat tendencies sometimes.

I've managed to sell 5 bins full of books for just over $60, camera equipment for $60, Have a long box of comics and a few boxes of miscellaneous toys to go to the comic shop in November (they didn't want anything until after their big sale end of October).

I just went and started trying to look through our front room's closets again to see if there is more stuff to purge, and there actually isn't. It's been taken from full to bursting to about 50% empty, and the stuff in there is all "have a use" stuff.

I really need to tackle my garage, but that's likely next month.

Dress and other crap going out today. Even if I end up breaking down crying driving away, I want it gone, so the stupid emotional attachment to a stupid dress will just have to be dealt with after the fact. I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

Frankies Girl, I know it sounds hokey but what helped me in situations like you have with the dress, was using the KonMarie method.  What she suggests is taking the object into your hands and actually saying thank you for whatever it did.  In this case you could say something like: "Thank you for making me feel beautiful and witnessing my big day.  I loved wearing you and my family loved seeing me wear you."  You don't have to say it out loud, obviously.  But the physical contact with the object plus the acknowledgement of the service that the object provided to you really does the trick.   The act of properly saying Thank you and Good Bye is important and effective in this case.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:49:32 PM by ZiziPB »

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3894 on: October 17, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now.

I bet somebody out there wants it! I've definitely seen women trying on the wedding dresses at Salvation Army, and some of those dresses are reallll "vintage."

Have you tried putting it on craigslist? A friend of mine bought her wedding dress on craiglist for $50 -- she was so thrilled. It might even be fun to meet a bride-to-be who's giving your dress a second life :)

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3895 on: October 17, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
I couldn't get anyone to buy my wedding dress either, even when I listed it on CL for 5 bucks. It was at least 10 years old at that point - so, not vintage but also not modern. Ended up donating it, because I was NOT moving with it again!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #3896 on: October 17, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
I had success with a local want ads newsletter selling my first dress.  Traditional, white, poofy, lace, froo froo, the whole deal.  I cannot remember how much my dad paid for it.  I sold it, along with the veil, necklace and earrings, to a special needs woman for $100.  She was so happy as was I.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #3897 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Strangely, I find disposing of old computers a joy...    2 old HP laptops bit the dust last year and weren't worth fixing and had been sitting on shelves...    Removed the hard drives and pummelled them with a large hammer (shattered disk drives make such nice tinkly sounds), then recycled the batteries and carcases separately...   MOST satisfying!   :)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3898 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I bought my wedding dress for $200 from a Goodwill. It was from the 80s (the scrunchy straps over the shoulder of an otherwise off the shoulder dress gave it away) and I bought it in 2006. I loved it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #3899 on: October 17, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Dress is gone! Dropped off at goodwill this afternoon and the went to the grocery and bought crap food, came home, ate lots of crap and had a very minor panic attack and the took an epic nap. But it is gone and I think I am just going to pretend it is around here for a while until it doesn't cause me to feel bad thinking about it.

And yes I am happy I did it. But fighting the programming is still hard.

And I could have tried to sell it, but honestly I get weird about dealing with people in general, and if I was lucky I might get $50 for my efforts, and it would be hour or two of dealing with taking photos, writing up the description, getting a throwaway email for listing, fielding questions and wanting to see more photos and then having to travel to meet up if I actually did get anyone interested... the money just wasn't worth the efforts (although it was still a very pretty dress - just not in style at the moment).

And the KonMa method would have caused me to personify the dress and feel awful for abandoning it at a grungy thrift store... I didn't want to even open the box other than to make sure the dress actually was in there because seeing it or handling it would cause me to attach HARD again. I already have to avoid naming my current car and other everyday objects as the last time I had to trade in a vehicle for instance, I bawled like freaking baby because "Aggie" had been with me for 17 years and I felt like I was having her put to sleep like a pet.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:32:18 AM by Frankies Girl »
I frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. Like now.

FIREd as of: March 6th, 2015!

Ting is awesome! Get $25 if you use my referral code: https://z0p1rd31m89.ting.com/