Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 938893 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3800 on: September 12, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
My daughter, 12, wanted to have a garage sale.  She thought it would be fun.  We have been postponing getting rid of the stuff she was targeting for her sale.  This past weekend she had her sale.  After about 45 minutes of waiting for costumers she was so bored.  Hubs and I had been telling her that garage sales were a lot of work and not that financially rewarding. Most of the stuff she could part with was really just junk.  It was a great learning opportunity for her that took up most of our day (helping her set up, hanging around to make sure all was good and helping her haul it all back in) but it got tons of stuff out of our house and she is completely cured of thinking a garage sale would be fun.  She is quite happy to donate stuff.  Some of the better items I posted to kijiji but if they don't sell, we will donate them to charity.  There is now a big space in the basement and the garage might just be able to hold some cars this winter.
Seeing the possibilities

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3801 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »

Next up is the bucket of old bank statements that need shredded. Hey, maybe that one'll be tonight!

instead of shredding I am reducing them to a pulp, by dunking them in the water and mixing a bit
(doing this because I don't have a shredder)
Watch this, dont become too crazy, haha!

I say this bcause my mother had Alzheimer's Disease and her method of getting rid of sensitive information was to tear off bits of paper woth the information and put them into a large jar of water, and hde the jar. We found that jar sitting on a high shelf after many months.

While that is not entirely crazy, the data she considered sensitive was her name and address. Umm, n sensitive. . By that time my brother was taking care of all of her financial transactions so she had no bank statements or anything within a social sexurity number or,etc. ahe had only junk mail with her name and address. So, she took elaborate pains to desteoy it..

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3802 on: September 12, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Found myself browsing hangars on amazon this morning since we keep running out when all the laundry is clean (just by one or two hangars, but enough to be a weekly annoyance). Saw this thread on my new replies... walked into my closet, and got rid of 5 shirts, 1 tank top, 6 pairs of underwear, and 3 bras. End result: 4 unused hangars. The 1-2 I was short each week, plus a couple spares.

Gifted a desk to my mom. Happy to see it go to family- when we lived in 500sq ft, it was our dining room table plus the desk that took me through nursing school. Good memories, so it was sitting in the garage- I was having a hard time letting it go.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3803 on: September 12, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
Had some good luck with Varagesale.com to sell some weights yesterday. Craigslist in my area can be hit or miss, but Varagesale seems little more active.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3804 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
Put together another donation bag.

Donated some mugs to work.

My husband has agreed to part with some pieces of a collection but doesn't want to be responsible for actually selling/donating, so I have to decide what to do with it.

My home looks tidy but, having moved a month ago, I'm keenly aware that there are still things in cupboards and drawers that I'm not using.

I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space. (Before you jump one me: my birthday is next month, and my grandparents, aunts, and great-aunts are asking for gift ideas.)

Mostly I just want time at home to declutter. Away last weekend, away next weekend, sigh...

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3805 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space. (Before you jump one me: my birthday is next month, and my grandparents, aunts, and great-aunts are asking for gift ideas.)

Mostly I just want time at home to declutter. Away last weekend, away next weekend, sigh...
Mustache, I recently did something similar to this.  I donated our rarely used toaster oven (we kept the toaster) and never used ice cream maker to a Boy Scout yard sale, and food processor to charity.   All were in good shape and still had their manuals.  Cupboard space gained was what, 5 sq ft?  And the peace of mind with less stuff is priceless.  :D

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3806 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »
My daughter, 12, wanted to have a garage sale.  She thought it would be fun.  We have been postponing getting rid of the stuff she was targeting for her sale.  This past weekend she had her sale.  After about 45 minutes of waiting for costumers she was so bored.  Hubs and I had been telling her that garage sales were a lot of work and not that financially rewarding. Most of the stuff she could part with was really just junk.  It was a great learning opportunity for her that took up most of our day (helping her set up, hanging around to make sure all was good and helping her haul it all back in) but it got tons of stuff out of our house and she is completely cured of thinking a garage sale would be fun.  She is quite happy to donate stuff.  Some of the better items I posted to kijiji but if they don't sell, we will donate them to charity.  There is now a big space in the basement and the garage might just be able to hold some cars this winter.

I never really had a garage/ yard sale, I just donated all the time.  About two years ago a relative decided to have one and asked if I wanted to join. I figured why not. Well never again.  The amount I made was not worth my day and I ended up really exhausted the whole weekend. Way too much work for me and people are just exhausting. Garage sales a really a lot of work.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3807 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
Cleaned out the file cabinets over two marathon sort and purge sessions. The Husband will shed them at the office where they have a huge industrial shredder.

I am a quilter and I had lots of leftover fabric, plus bags of scraps and yardage  that two friends gave me. I sorted through them, folding or rolling the larger pieces. Tomorrow I donate them to my guild's fabric sale. My trash might be someone else's treasure and make some $$ for the group. Whatever happens, it is not coming back to my house!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #3808 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
we will have a friend visiting and got active de-cluttering and painting/refreshing the apartment; we got rid of
-ply wood, pieces of countertop, & various bits of wood that we didn't get to use while making cabinets
-1 bad bike
-1 metal shelf
-books/papers/
-Christmas stuff

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3809 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space.

I was given a KitchenAid stick mixer as a wedding present. It's a beautiful tool.

It definitely outperforms any other stick mixer I've used, and works well for blender functions. I haven't used it for food processor stuff, and I use my food processor for some functions that the stick mixer can't replicate (grating and slicing).

Personally, I think the trend towards buying shit quality, borderline-disposable products such as appliances is part of what's wrong with society. If something is actually useful to you, buy a well-designed, high quality version. You'll use it your whole life, it'll be a joy to use, you won't be buying cheap crap that ends up in landfill, and your heirs can fight over it when you die.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3810 on: September 13, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »
As far as the  porcelain dolls I gave mine to people that were holding local fundraisers and they sold them at their silent auctions.  It was a win-win for everyone.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3811 on: September 13, 2016, 04:18:06 AM »
Made a sale on ebay! Yay. I don't know why I hate listing so much. With the mobile app it really isn't very onerous anymore and I get so much joy out of making a sale (totally disproportionate to the effort and income involved). Must hold onto this feeling and list more stuff.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3812 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:55 AM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space.

I was given a KitchenAid stick mixer as a wedding present. It's a beautiful tool.

It definitely outperforms any other stick mixer I've used, and works well for blender functions. I haven't used it for food processor stuff, and I use my food processor for some functions that the stick mixer can't replicate (grating and slicing).

Personally, I think the trend towards buying shit quality, borderline-disposable products such as appliances is part of what's wrong with society. If something is actually useful to you, buy a well-designed, high quality version. You'll use it your whole life, it'll be a joy to use, you won't be buying cheap crap that ends up in landfill, and your heirs can fight over it when you die.

Glad to hear an endorsement for the KitchenAid.

I agree with you on everything else. I would rather have fewer, good quality appliances.

(The food processor, blender and cheaper stick mixer were all gifts. I've held off on replacing them while I worked out what I would actually use.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3813 on: September 13, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
Made a sale on ebay! Yay. I don't know why I hate listing so much. With the mobile app it really isn't very onerous anymore and I get so much joy out of making a sale (totally disproportionate to the effort and income involved). Must hold onto this feeling and list more stuff.

Totally this.  I was off work last week and sorted through my Get Rid Of pile and have the things that need to be listed on eBay arranged on top of my dresser.  But I can't bring myself to sit down and get them photographed and listed.

I can also vouch for the KitchenAid stick blender.  I have All the Kitchen Appliances, but if I had to move to a smaller house, I'd keep this and get rid of some bulkier things.

My aunt and uncle visited this weekend.  I previously gave her the Singer Featherweight sewing machine that had belonged to some old dead relative I never met.  Happened to find the pedal to it right before they got here, so I passed that on to her, as well as a couple reusable bags that I very rarely use (they're thrift-shopping their way across the country for things for her Etsy store, so she needed bags). 

Also took a large box of stuff to the thrift store last week.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3814 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
I'm curious about what you are calling a "stick mixer"? Is it also called a "stick blender"? Or is it a different product?  I have been looking at stick blenders for the past year or two. Recommendations are appreciated. I've never used one, so Im not sure what they are good for but the small design makes them a good small apartment option.

I use a Lewis bag to crush ice for drinks. I use a fork to mix most things, but I have a single beater that I use in my cordless drill for the two times a year I make frosting. My main motivation for a blender is to make hummus, but if I bought it then I would have to commit to actually making hummus and life is pretty busy right now.  I sometimes think about homemade smoothies,

If only I could find a stick blender blade that fit my cordless drill...

Glad to hear an endorsement for the KitchenAid.

I agree with you on everything else. I would rather have fewer, good quality appliances.

(The food processor, blender and cheaper stick mixer were all gifts. I've held off on replacing them while I worked out what I would actually use.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3815 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
Got rid of a pair of sandals which I loved and have served me well, but are past the point of repair and usefulness.

Also wore out another pair of the hotel slippers which have been the bane of my existence for so long. Three pairs to go! (No, I am NEVER EVER opening up another pair at a hotel because I can't bear for them to be thrown away so I always bring them home).

And some tights / pop socks which had ladders. I'm pleased about this, because thanks to my 'less is more' philosophy, I am now buying exclusively the more expensive shiny tights that I vastly prefer. Yes, they are more money, but really, I only wear through 3 or so pairs a summer. I can afford nicer things when I buy so much less of everything.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3816 on: September 16, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Got rid of a pair of sandals which I loved and have served me well, but are past the point of repair and usefulness.

Also wore out another pair of the hotel slippers which have been the bane of my existence for so long. Three pairs to go! (No, I am NEVER EVER opening up another pair at a hotel because I can't bear for them to be thrown away so I always bring them home).

And some tights / pop socks which had ladders. I'm pleased about this, because thanks to my 'less is more' philosophy, I am now buying exclusively the more expensive shiny tights that I vastly prefer. Yes, they are more money, but really, I only wear through 3 or so pairs a summer. I can afford nicer things when I buy so much less of everything.

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3817 on: September 16, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »
New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights?

Pop socks are knee-high pantihose, for wearing under slacks/trousers.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3818 on: September 16, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks.
Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.
+1  :)

I added a pair of slacks, 6 shirts and two non perishable food items to next week's donate pile.  In the past month or so I  tossed out 2 beyond-repair skirts and a button down shirt.  Boy, is it difficult for me to rid of clothes!

I skimmed through and tossed about 6 work-related older magazines.

I also tossed my manual toothbrush, and cleaned and stored the holder.  I'll be forced to use the electric toothbrush gifted to me.

I brought some peaches and an apple from our tree to the local police station as a thank you gesture and I've given away a bowlful here at the office this week.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:10:34 AM by MountainGal »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3819 on: September 17, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »

I also tossed my manual toothbrush, and cleaned and stored the holder. 

Old toothbrushes make great crevice scrubbers. I have the old OLD style kitchen counters with sharp inner corners and chrome edges that collect dirt. Toothbrush is great for that.
----------
I have a huge box of inherited records. Very few are ebayable, or yardsaleable. Have been going through about 10 a day to make sure they have little value and then carrying the lot, right then, to the handy books, DVDs, and records donation bin in the church yard within walking distance.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #3820 on: September 17, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
This weekend I went to my dad's house and got Everything that is still mine but was in basement storage (excluding Christmas decorations) and brought it to my house. My formerly empty living room has 11 Rubbermaid totes I am now going through and purging.

Culled books from my childhood book collection for donation. About two totes are school papers I can burn/recycle (I didn't want to leave them behind for my stepmother to take care of) and the rest are either stuff from college or sewing/craft supplies. I also got my art desk and chair and my dressmaker mannequin.

I went from 11 storage totes down to about 8 by the beginning of September. I donated one box of books to a used bookstore (any they can't sell they recycle into new books) & took one tote full of papers to the recycling center. I filled the largest tote with donations for goodwill. As of this afternoon I dropped off that donation tote when it became completely full. I also went through 3 more totes today! I have one more tote full of old school papers to take to the recycling center, 3 Walmart bags full of papers I need to put in the industrial shredder at my office and I started a new small Rubbermaid tote for more donations!

So from 11 totes I am looking at approximately 4 left to sort through (I had one that was just full of fabrics I stashed in my hobby room to go through at a later time). I am happy I am keeping only about an 8th of the things *cough*books and stationary* cough* as I sort.

I also was wondering if other people refer to the Rubbermaid-esque plastic storage totes as Bins or something else? I think I've heard people call them plastic tubs and storage boxes.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3821 on: September 18, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »
Banner week, had a friend over who berated me into getting rid of 2 garbage bags of clothes.  One trash and one of donate quality stuff.

Also we've been living with 4 boxes blocking off the 8 foot opening to the living room, I took some things to the local flea market (3 lamps and a box of random stuff, didn't get cash but it's gone!) and while I was there found an adjustable 8 to 12 foot baby gate with a door in it.  That's so much better than stepping over boxes!

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3822 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
Last two weekends I've been clearing out things from storage in garage that I just don't want or need but decided I need to keep for some reason over the years, ive been posting free ads on Craigslist most of the stuff I was going to trash but decided post free first and people have picked up almost everything I've listed. It's saved me from renting a dumpster. I'm truly surprised at what people will take when it's free.
"Gonna Make It"

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #3823 on: September 18, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3824 on: September 18, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

Oh dear. You are being very brave.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3825 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »
Gave the Nerf amoury to little boys in the family.

Filled up my washing powder tin this morning with the last box I had bought on sale. Now I am firmly resisting the temptation to re-stock. It will take me months before the tin even looks like getting low - I don't need so much inventory stashed around the place.

(Still working on the bar soap, body wash, hand soap, dishwashing liquid, shampoo... did I think they were going to stop manufacturing this stuff???)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3826 on: September 18, 2016, 09:22:21 PM »
Turfed a whole heap of paper last week. I don't know why I hang on to bits of paper I am clearly never going to refer to again.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3827 on: September 19, 2016, 04:34:38 AM »

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.

Yes, ladders are 'runs' so named because that's what they look like!

Tights here are:
1) Sheer 'nude' things (or 'barely black if you live in the 1990s), of approx 8-80 denier, such as The Duchess of Cornwall wears under a dress. I think you may call these hose? 
2) the thickers ones to which you refer - definitely not pants, opaque. We just call those, "thick tights" or "Winter tights".

I just reread what you said. Yes, what you call tights and pantyhose, we just call them all 'tights'.

Pop socks are ankle high, and I would wear them with a business suit and court shoes, made of the thinner pantyhose material. Different from 'knee highs', which are the same thing, only longer - they, as the name suggests, come up to your knees.

A relatively new product is the 'trouser sock', pop sock height (ie ankle), but made of the thicker 'tights' material. Designed to be worn instead of traditional cotton socks when your shoes reveal sock to the world.

Wow, that was complex!

And just to keep this on topic, I managed to purge... absolutely nothing over the weekend. Must do better!

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3828 on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »

Tights here are:
1) Sheer 'nude' things (or 'barely black if you live in the 1990s), of approx 8-80 denier, such as The Duchess of Cornwall wears under a dress. I think you may call these hose? 
2) the thickers ones to which you refer - definitely not pants, opaque. We just call those, "thick tights" or "Winter tights".

I just reread what you said. Yes, what you call tights and pantyhose, we just call them all 'tights'.

Pop socks are ankle high, and I would wear them with a business suit and court shoes, made of the thinner pantyhose material. Different from 'knee highs', which are the same thing, only longer - they, as the name suggests, come up to your knees.

A relatively new product is the 'trouser sock', pop sock height (ie ankle), but made of the thicker 'tights' material. Designed to be worn instead of traditional cotton socks when your shoes reveal sock to the world.

Wow, that was complex!

And just to keep this on topic, I managed to purge... absolutely nothing over the weekend. Must do better!
Took care of socks, lets move on to shoes.

Court shoes. Trainers.
We dont use those terms here. Your court shows are our pumps, I think. Leather formal shoes with a heel.

Trainers are tennis shoes.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:13:10 AM by iris lily »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3829 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
Set up our filing system, and added to the "to shred" bin about 1/3-1/2 of the total papers I was sorting. Win! Now I just need to go through the paperwork in the old clear tubs I've been avoiding from YEARS ago. These papers are much more emotionally fraught and interspersed with all sorts of landmines- like love letters from both my AND DH's ex's, since the paperwork ended up co-mingled during our last move.

I've managed to put this off for 5+ years now (especially because there's not much of them, etc). Time to deal with it and recognize that mental weight doesn't always relate to physical space taken up!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3830 on: September 19, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

What your mom doesn't know won't hurt her.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3831 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »

Congrats on knowing that your son's potty training has "stuck" after all these years!  ;)

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3832 on: September 19, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »

Congrats on knowing that your son's potty training has "stuck" after all these years!  ;)

Well, actually, I could have offered them to said son for HIS newborn son, and put that in the 'how did you save money today thread'.       @_@     Except that DIL finds it hilarious that in ancient times (otherwise known as the early 80's) diapers were not prefolded, and you had to use PINS.  I had forgotten they were even out there, until we were sorting out the baby books, etc. for our grandson.  Sometimes having lots and lots of shelves in the garage is not necessarily a good thing. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:34:41 PM by Shinplaster »

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3833 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
Cloth diapers make amazing burp cloths!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3834 on: September 19, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »

So shirts, don't they?*

*I don't have kids. I have no freaking idea.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3835 on: September 19, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »

What your mom doesn't know won't hurt her.

I'm definitely not telling her.  : D     In her defense, she's a child of the depression, and learned the lessons of never throwing anything away very well.  She was mustachian before that was a term, and we all love her slightly hoarding tendencies when it comes to gift wrap, boxes, bows, etc.   

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3836 on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

So shirts, don't they?*

*I don't have kids. I have no freaking idea.

Shirts are less absorbent, and more of a pain in the butt to change when you are already dressed and the baby burps all over you.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3837 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

DIL doesn't want them for that either, so I will use them for staining furniture I think.  No lint after all those washings!   She also didn't want the flannel swaddling cloths I found in the box, so my Mom has offered to make a quilt from them for when our grandson goes to daycare next year.  His blankie will be unique, anyway.  : D

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3838 on: September 19, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »

Tights here are:

Wow, that was complex!

It becomes more complex: we have trouser socks here, but they come up to the knee.

We also have kneehighs, just as you described them, but have no equivalent that I know of for pop socks.

Your tights are our pantyhose, and your winter tights we just call tights.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3839 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
On the subject of decluttering and tights...

I finally parted with my ballet tights. Most of them had been stitched or "glued" (nail polish) in places. It was time to go.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3840 on: September 19, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »

Well, actually, I could have offered them to said son for HIS newborn son, and put that in the 'how did you save money today thread'.       @_@     Except that DIL finds it hilarious that in ancient times (otherwise known as the early 80's) diapers were not prefolded, and you had to use PINS.  I had forgotten they were even out there, until we were sorting out the baby books, etc. for our grandson.  Sometimes having lots and lots of shelves in the garage is not necessarily a good thing.
Wow, you kept them? My mum used the nappies on 4 kids and then they went straight into the "awesome cloths for cleaning" bucket. They are all very used up now. Also, I was surprised that there's "prefolds" and things, I almost remember how to fold a flat nappy and I certainly remember pinning them! (I was 9 when the youngest was born, I'm only 27 now).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3841 on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »

Court shoes. Trainers.
We dont use those terms here. Your court shows are our pumps, I think. Leather formal shoes with a heel.

Yes, court shoes are formal, leather, heel, no straps at all. Quite open at the front.

Interestingly, my mum would describe any FLAT shoes as 'pumps'. I would never use that word myself, it seems to have gone out of fashion here. Interesting to hear that for you pumps have heels.

Yep to the trainers being tennis shoes. This is fascinating!

ETA fascinating, to me. Sorry for the thread hijack!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3842 on: September 20, 2016, 04:02:53 AM »

Court shoes. Trainers.

Yes, court shoes are formal, leather, heel, no straps at all. Quite open at the front.

Interestingly, my mum would describe any FLAT shoes as 'pumps'. I would never use that word myself, it seems to have gone out of fashion here. Interesting to hear that for you pumps have heels.

Yep to the trainers being tennis shoes. This is fascinating!

ETA fascinating, to me. Sorry for the thread hijack!

Are we going to talk about fascinators now?

This is like word-association...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3843 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
Friend who just got a new dog is coming to get our old dog house (our spoiled pooch comes inside and sleeps on the couch).

jim555

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3844 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
I started a digitization project of all my old statements and papers which took up 4 boxes of space.  I know 7 years is the longest you have to legally keep things but I feel better scanning them first and then throwing them out.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3845 on: September 21, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »
Jacket, bathrobe and 3 books gone!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3846 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:20 AM »
I started a digitization project of all my old statements and papers which took up 4 boxes of space.  I know 7 years is the longest you have to legally keep things but I feel better scanning them first and then throwing them out.
I did this with all our tax records (started with old but realized I e-filed new ones, so I only have digital copies). Go ahead with removing the paper! It's so worth it.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3847 on: September 21, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
by the end of this month, i'm going thru all of my winter clothes to put out. i'm not sure how much there will be to get rid of/donate, but i'm hoping to make some progress for the new season starting

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #3848 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
Can I just vent here for a second?  I just lost a parent.  I have two storage units to go through in two different states.  I am knee deep in boxes and papers AND grief.  I feel like I can barely breathe and my spouse's family is mailing us more stuff.  I think I may lose my mind.  I can't get rid of things fast enough before more things are introduced into the house. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Ok, back to regular programming...  someone tell me about their accomplishments so that I can at least celebrate then instead of feeling like having a pity party and crying here.

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3849 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:08 AM »
I am sorry for your loss, Secretly Saving.  I have had to clear or help clear three different houses of elderly relatives, and it is difficult both emotionally and practically, at a time when one's personal reserves are low.  I found that taking a break every now and then rather than rushing through as soon as possible was the only way for me to get through it.

In personal news, I took a bag of old curtains and another of books to the charity shop two weeks ago.  A table and a wicker chair were picked up yesterday for a rehab/work experience centre being set up locally.  A sofa is advertised and I've put the word out locally but has had no responses yet - if it isn't gone by next week it will be off to the dump.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)