Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1064131 times)

sis

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3650 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
Well I got rid of two trader joe's bags worth of books.  DH put them downstairs in the mailroom in our building.  Perhaps some people will get use out of them.  We were looking for places to sell/trade them in but it seemed that there wasn't much opportunity for that.  We still have a *lot* of books, but that's a start.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3651 on: July 17, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
5 bags to goodwill and 6 boxes to half price books!  It was a good weekend.

I also finished reading the KonMarie book (in the HPB box already)- and it did give me some good perspective on getting rid of some things. But, even though she says she works with international clients, I think she seriously underestimates both how much stuff Americans have and how much space we have to put it in...  I am still doing my closets one at a time. There is just no way I could find everything from one category to look at it all at once- it's just way too all over the place.  But I am trying to get it all into one space to store.

I have renewed vigor for this.  The baby's room (for the baby that didn't get to come home) had become a junk room, and we just found out we will likely need it again!  And I want the office streamlined so the computer can just go into the guest room and we can use the office as a playroom until the little one is big enough to play downstairs unsupervised.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3652 on: July 17, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
We've been working on decluttering our kitchen, slowly but surely. I took a box of unwanted coffee mugs, and also a small bag of clothing, to the resale store today. Baby steps!

Also, I had a fandom-related T-shirt that I loved but it really doesn't fit me. But it seemed too nice to just donate. I posted a pic of it to Facebook in case someone I know might want it - and got a taker right away. And it fits her perfectly. She's happy, I'm happy. Yay!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3653 on: July 17, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
It's gone! My old furniture! Wa-hoo! (As the infamous Yoshi would say)

There is so much space in my apartment now the walls echo. Room is lighter too!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3654 on: July 17, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »
Listed an unused TV stand and microwave on CL. If I do't get bites in 1 week, They'll go to Buy Nothing Project, then goodwill if no interest there.

Slow, but starting. Dreading old papers!

Microwave is gone ($40 in hand), and someone is coming by for the TV stand tonight (another $40). Excited about the TV stand, because we bought it used off CL for $40 4 years ago. Crazy how well Ikea items retain their value, haha.

Unintentional minimalism: our kitchen timer was always screwy (hard to add minutes), but it recently stopped alarming most of the time when the timer is up. Totally defeats the purpose. My poor DH was trying to make rice when he got a very very not happy work call. The timer didn't make noise again, and so he went to pantomime throwing it in the trash... except he accidentally let go. I told him to just leave it and not go in after the piece of junk. Good riddance.

Emotionally preparing to get rid of some old workout clothes. I know it's ridiculous to have a hard time getting rid of perma-stinky, pilling shirts, but I have so many hikes logged in these. Including when my husband proposed. Sigh, so silly how much emotion we assign to things!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3655 on: July 17, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »

I have renewed vigor for this.  The baby's room (for the baby that didn't get to come home) had become a junk room, and we just found out we will likely need it again!  And I want the office streamlined so the computer can just go into the guest room and we can use the office as a playroom until the little one is big enough to play downstairs unsupervised.

LaineyAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3656 on: July 17, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »
Great news, iowajes!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3657 on: July 17, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »

congratulations!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3658 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
It's gone! My old furniture! Wa-hoo! (As the infamous Yoshi would say)

There is so much space in my apartment now the walls echo. Room is lighter too!

Awesome work!

I think someone has the decluttering bug now. :D

Congratulations!

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3659 on: July 17, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »

That is wonderful news!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3660 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
Last night I sorted out two small drawers of cables, chargers, batteries, etc.

Tossed four dead lightning cables (eBay cheapies), a handful of dead batteries, and a couple of pre-recall Apple wall chargers (we have half a dozen).

I packaged up an Apple charger, lightning cable, USB cable, micro-USB cable and a couple of other bits and pieces for my husband to take in to his new office tomorrow.

(They've finally moved, seven months after first talking about it! Today is the first day in new digs.)

I also have cutlery and some other kitchen items he can take to help stock work kitchen.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3661 on: July 18, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »
I sold an incubator (for chicken eggs) today.  $80.  We got rid of the chickens years ago.  Mostly I've been just donating stuff and trashing the crap.  I've been looking at local houses for sale, not really looking for a new house, just looking.  In two years we may want to downsize.  But the looking at all the nicely staged houses makes me crazy.  Then looking at the houses full of knick knaks also makes me crazy, so I go and declutter.   
   I've got a couple of other things up for sale, but no takers.  Thanks to Retired at 63, I've found the online library (Overdrive)  which has allowed me to release some of my books.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3662 on: July 18, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Congratulations, Iowajes! Great news!

Today I put a pair of jean shorts in the giveaway box ... They were once too small for me, and now they are too big for me! Wahoooo!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3663 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »
I've decided that a few items with residual value, which I was pressuring myself to try to sell on ebay for some $$, are better off being put in a laundry tub as a pile of "things I will offer guests when they come over". As in, maybe one of the girls coming over for dinner this Friday will want an as-new Fossil handbag? Maybe next time my family comes over someone will want this Tupperware flask? etc.

I think that this will mean things *actually leave the house* whereas "I'm going to list it on ebay someday" meant they never did. And donating is great, but if this plan works out I think it will be more rewarding than donating because I get to SEE that someone wants something and will use it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3664 on: July 19, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »
I'm killing two birds this week as we prepare to move and I tackle the long list of address changeovers.

I've received a couple of fundraising letters from charities that I'm either not or no longer interested in supporting. Rather than updating my address, I'm returning them to sender with a note asking to be removed from their database.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3665 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:05 AM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this.

SO JEALOUS

At -some point- in the next year or so we will be moving into our guest suite to renovate our house (it was derelict when we bought it, so I get to keep my MMM credentials I think, despite the ridiculouslness of a guest suite. We only have 1 bedroom, so it's not as crazy as it sounds)

Anyway, obviously I'm excited about making the house properly habitable. But I am actually more excited about the 'fresh start' when it comes to stuff! Instead of 'moving in', I plan to just go to the guest suite, and come back to the house for every single thing I need. At the end of a month or so, I should have a very clear idea of what I am not using!

Out of season clothes won't count, of course, but I am sooooo looking foward to this!

Iowajes, many congrats, very happy for you.

I've decided that a few items with residual value, which I was pressuring myself to try to sell on ebay for some $$, are better off being put in a laundry tub as a pile of "things I will offer guests when they come over". As in, maybe one of the girls coming over for dinner this Friday will want an as-new Fossil handbag? Maybe next time my family comes over someone will want this Tupperware flask? etc.

I think that this will mean things *actually leave the house* whereas "I'm going to list it on ebay someday" meant they never did. And donating is great, but if this plan works out I think it will be more rewarding than donating because I get to SEE that someone wants something and will use it.
This is a nice idea, but beware creating an obligation for friends and family. Why do you need to see that they will use it? I have had this conversation with my husband. He said, "Let's give it to so and so! It will be nice to know they want it!", and I said, "If we donate we can be -sure- they want it, because they have chosen it and paid money for it". You can be sure your stuff will be put to good use, when someone selects it specially, you know? I'm not trying to criticise, just... people have given me things and expected to see me use them, and it creates an expectation, a burden. If you give something away, just give it away.

And more updates, because I've been away for a while:

I used to buy lots of stuff in bulk. I stopped, oh, over a year ago. I calculated I still have TWO YEARS of tampons in stock. And worst of all, they are not my preferred brand. Ugh.

My husband rang the other day to ask if we needed batteries. I did a check, and said no, we've got 6 of that type. He was worried, "I should get some more!". I said, "No, we don't store stuff anymore! The shop stores it for us!". He didn't buy them.

The following day (literally!) a device which uses 4 batteries ran out. I replaced them. Husband was very worried that now we have only 2 batteries! I was like, "we checked, we had sufficient. Now we know we need some more, so I will put them on the list. This is the system WORKING". I think he is coming round!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3666 on: July 19, 2016, 03:26:55 AM »
I used to buy lots of stuff in bulk. I stopped, oh, over a year ago. I calculated I still have TWO YEARS of tampons in stock. And worst of all, they are not my preferred brand. Ugh.

Would you consider donating them to charity?

In Australia, Share the Dignity collects tampons for homeless women, while The Beauty Bank collects cosmetics and toiletries for women escaping domestic violence.

http://www.sharethedignity.com.au/

http://www.thebeautybank.org/

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3667 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:04 AM »

Would you consider donating them to charity?

In Australia, Share the Dignity collects tampons for homeless women, while The Beauty Bank collects cosmetics and toiletries for women escaping domestic violence.

http://www.sharethedignity.com.au/

http://www.thebeautybank.org/

I certainly would! A great way to buy some of my preferred ones guilt free, and help people in the process.

I will do some googling, but if anyone is aware of British organisations that accept donations, please do comment. They are boxed and everything!

Hmmm, I wonder if my foodbank will take them? Off to look at the list now. Thank you for the suggestion!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3668 on: July 19, 2016, 03:56:55 AM »
Right, my foodbank website says:

URGENTLY NEEDED ITEMS

TOILETRIES
NAPPIES (ALL SIZES)
TOILET ROLLS
SPONGE PUDDINGS
CUSTARD

It doesn't specify tampons, and I don't want to waste a volunteer's time by emailing, but would you all interpret this as falling under 'toiletries' and being something they need?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3669 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:00 AM »
Okay, I see that "sponge puddings" may refer to contraceptives, but you have me stumped with "custard".

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3670 on: July 19, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
Okay, I see that "sponge puddings" may refer to contraceptives, but you have me stumped with "custard".

ha ha, no, I was referring to 'Toiletries'!! Sorry. Sponge puddings and custard and typical deserts here and they are running short of the actual food items.

I'm still lolling at sponge pudding as a contraceptive though!

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3671 on: July 19, 2016, 04:29:21 AM »
the advicist: your local womens' refuge will gladly take the tampons.  There will be a phone number available, and you arrange to meet someone in a (central, busy, well lit, car number plates exchanged) car park for the handover, so they don't have to reveal the location of the shelter.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3672 on: July 19, 2016, 04:32:49 AM »
the advicist: your local womens' refuge will gladly take the tampons.  There will be a phone number available, and you arrange to meet someone in a (central, busy, well lit, car number plates exchanged) car park for the handover, so they don't have to reveal the location of the shelter.

Thanks for that info. I don't think it's enough of a donation to warrant someone's time like that in this case. It's only 4 boxes, it's just two years worth at the rate I use them. The foodbank sounds ideal because I donate regularly anyway, and we have a collection point locally, so I can just add them to the bag I'm taking anyway.

But I will definitely bear in mind for the future.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3673 on: July 19, 2016, 06:35:24 AM »

Thanks for that info. I don't think it's enough of a donation to warrant someone's time like that in this case. It's only 4 boxes, it's just two years worth at the rate I use them. The foodbank sounds ideal because I donate regularly anyway, and we have a collection point locally, so I can just add them to the bag I'm taking anyway.

But I will definitely bear in mind for the future.
They will also take any household stuff you want to get rid of - bedding, kitchen stuff, etc., as they gift it to women who are leaving to help set up home.  They take clothes, too (they are always desperate for knickers in various sizes) and cleaners, washing powder, etc.  I bet they would take just the tampons (worth ringing to see), but if not if you have any other spares to donate they would take those too.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3674 on: July 19, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
   I've got a couple of other things up for sale, but no takers.  Thanks to Retired at 63, I've found the online library (Overdrive)  which has allowed me to release some of my books.
Glad to help with book release.  I am also finding that when I get a so-so library book by someone whose books I have, that tells me I can release all my books by that author.  So next time I am culling I can search those books out.  The second hand bookstore staff at the community center where my library is are getting used to me bringing a bag or two of various books each time I come to the library.  I donate there, the money is spent well.  My regular second-hand bookstore has switched from cash to credit for books brought in, and they pay 5% of book price (10% on their books) so for a $5 book I might get 25 cents.  Or they might not take it at all. I would rather donate.  I have always been a book hoarder, this is a 180o change for me. 
My really old fiction is hard to find, it is what I will probably end up holding on to, unless I can get Kindle editions without paying huge amounts.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3675 on: July 21, 2016, 01:57:36 AM »
Regarding books, it helped me to figure out why I didn't want to get rid of my favourites.

The answer was that I was scared I would forget about them.

So I made a spreadsheet. And every single book I read I add it on, with a really short plot synopsis (like one sentence just to jog my memory) and if I loved it I put a star next to it. That way I can still go back and see every book I have ever loved, without them getting musty on my bookshelf.

This might not work for everyone, as I am not a big rereader. But safe in the knowledge that I know exactly what my favourites are, I trust the library and Amazon to store them for me. I can buy secondhand usually for 1p plus postage, and then donate / resell, anytime I was to reread.

BigBigote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3676 on: July 24, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
theadvicist: have you heard of goodreads.com ? You can put all that information on there, and it tracks how many books you read each year, as well as if you give books star ratings, then it recommends other books based on the books you like!

Thought this might be another good alternative if you're enjoying the tracking of which books you read / like!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3677 on: July 24, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
Regarding books, it helped me to figure out why I didn't want to get rid of my favourites.

The answer was that I was scared I would forget about them.

So I made a spreadsheet. And every single book I read I add it on, with a really short plot synopsis (like one sentence just to jog my memory) and if I loved it I put a star next to it. That way I can still go back and see every book I have ever loved, without them getting musty on my bookshelf.

This might not work for everyone, as I am not a big rereader. But safe in the knowledge that I know exactly what my favourites are, I trust the library and Amazon to store them for me. I can buy secondhand usually for 1p plus postage, and then donate / resell, anytime I was to reread.

Thought of you this week while culling books!

I was torn between wanting to buy them as e-books now, or waiting to see if I actually miss them first.

In the end I just made a list of the titles, emailed it to myself, and piled up six more to get rid of.

I've taken to pouring myself a drink and standing in front of my bookshelves, staring at them while I ponder who is next to go...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3678 on: July 26, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
theadvicist: have you heard of goodreads.com ? You can put all that information on there, and it tracks how many books you read each year, as well as if you give books star ratings, then it recommends other books based on the books you like!

Thought this might be another good alternative if you're enjoying the tracking of which books you read / like!

Thanks for the recommendation! I have used it to look up titles and read reviews, or read their 'best 50 (whatever) books' lists, but I have never created an account. I don't know if that is something I would enjoy (the recommendations feature sounds great) or just another thing I'd feel was on my to do list... the spreadsheet is quick, but yeah, no feedback. I'll go and have a poke around, thank you!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3679 on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »

I've taken to pouring myself a drink and standing in front of my bookshelves, staring at them while I ponder who is next to go...

I'm pulling them off the shelves and re-reading (fiction) - if I go "OK, but not to read again" it goes in the pile of donations. 

Non-fiction - I do prefer paper to ebooks - I can read them during a power failure, they won't disappear (unless fire/flood) and I can photocopy easily if I need a few pages.

And yikes I have lot of old personal finance books.  I am reading them (well, skimming), if there is nothing new then they are donate (general advice) or put in paper recycling (definitely outdated).  The only really outdated one I am keeping is Your Money and How To Keep It (Brian Costello)(1985) who introduced me to the value of paying off a mortgage early.  Of course his interest tables start at 8% and end at 19 7/8%.  Definitely those rates were an incentive to pay down the mortgage.

For the younger readers, yes those were real rates.  Our mortgage was at 9% back then, 5 year fixed, and a friend had her mortgage come up and she renewed at 18%. 
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3680 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
Picked up my KonMari cleaning after leaving it alone in the middle of Komono for a couple months (not so good at the "do it all at once part").  I finished up Komono and started on mementos.  I was able to throw out 5 lbs of photographs!

I was also able to reduce my clothing further, but I don't think I'm quite at my click point.  I noticed a few things bugging the back of my mind and completely stopped thinking of them once I just put them in the donation box.
Follow my journey to become an astronaut here!
Or my journal here

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3681 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »
I volunteered to host voice lessons tomorrow - that caused 2 bags of shredding, one old tower computer and keyboard, a box full of empty file folders and a broken adding machine to move out of the office. Funny, but I had actually stopped seeing the clutter/mess. Oops. That was where my konmari stopped a few months ago too, but I won't get back into anything until after October.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3682 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:13 AM »
Spent another few hours moving stuff into new place today.

I realised just how much of the stuff in our apartment belongs to my husband.

He has far less stuff than some of his friends, but I also know that most of it never gets looked at or used. I could have tossed half of it and he wouldn't have noticed because he's forgotten about it.

So I carted it over to new place and spread it out on the floor, and I've asked him to go through it all before any of it gets put away.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3683 on: July 28, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »
Got $400 for taking a crap top video gaming (lol) to Half Price Books.

We got rid of a Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Game Gear, 2 Gameboy colors, an X-box and a Game Cube and all the games associated with them (except the Game Cube which we can still play in the Wii).

Probably would have made a ton more on ebay, but this took only a few hours of sitting in a bookstore and reading while waiting!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3684 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
My aunt was happy to receive the antique sewing machine that was handed down to me from my great aunt about 25 years ago.  OTOH, another aunt gave me two pairs of capri pants (which I may just donate, but it made her happy to find them a home), and the portrait of myself @ age ten that used to hang in my grandmother's house made it back to me.  OK with that though, as we don't have a ton of things on our walls.  Managed to come home from vacation with only two pint glasses from DH's friend's brewery, and no other non-consumable items.  I'm pretty good at breaking glasses, so it kind of makes sense to add to the collection over time anyway.

This morning I gave some unneeded dog supplies to a coworker. 

It's going to be hot this weekend, so am reading this thread for inspiration to do some decluttering again since I probably won't be inclined to spend time outside in the afternoons.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3685 on: July 28, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
Got $400...

NICE!  That's quite a haul.
Follow my journey to become an astronaut here!
Or my journal here

Fig

• Stubble
« Reply #3686 on: July 28, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »
A pretty but unused rocking chair has gone to the charity shop, along with various clothes, including a dress I mended with new buttons so it didn't end up in landfill... Hmm.

Other good news: tidying up ready for my monthly house guest is getting easier.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?”
― Mary Oliver

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/getting-my-act-together/

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3687 on: July 30, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
I got rid of some craft supplies and made $60. That was one bag I was thrilled to see head out the door!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3688 on: July 30, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »
Moved yesterday.

Still decluttering as a I settle into new place.

I had offered things to friends and relatives - books, kitchen items, etc - but haven't seen those people to hand over their loot, so I have labelled bags lined up ready to go, as well as donations to three different charities.

Struggling for motivation to list anything on eBay.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3689 on: August 02, 2016, 04:58:39 AM »
Has anyone on this thread moved from decluttering to minimalism? I've been so pleased with my progress (and my life) since cutting back significantly on stuff that I've been reading a lot and it is very tempting... I know I don't have to go 'full on' one or the other, I can just keep cutting down until it feels 'right'. But would love hear other's experiences if anyone here has come to consider themselves a 'minimalist'.

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3690 on: August 02, 2016, 05:05:24 AM »
I remember seeing on TV the interiors of a very famous minimalist architects home.  Very empty, very white.  Until you realised that in every room one wall was floor to ceiling white handleless cupboards stuffed full of stuff.  Which told me that "minimalist" can be either for show or for real.  I'm somewhat the other way: I have things on show (built in bookcases, built in glass-fronted cupboards for china) but very little stuffed away in cupboards.

Although I do need to declutter - a sofa to sell, papers to sort and burn, clothes to donate.  When I have a moment.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3691 on: August 02, 2016, 11:22:07 AM »
The worst thing/best thing ever happened! Our basement flooded. Not too much water (maybe 1/2 - 1 inch), but it soaked every cardboard box on the floor, had to be wet-vacced up. It took us over 8 hours to get everything ruined out of the house, vacuum the water up, identify what was junk and put it in a pile for the dump. We borrowed a dehumidifier and have that running 24 a day.

We bought more wire shelves to add to the ones on the wall currently, so nothing will be on the floor if there is ever a repeat. NO more cardboard boxes. We have plenty of rubbermaids (both colored and clear) to store things in.

It was a hard, sweaty, exhausting day, but at the end of it, I felt so great, because me and the Other Human had worked together to make the basement better than it has been since we moved in. The basement was the graveyard of things in our house, if we didn't know what to do with things, into the basement they went.

I was ruthless with tossing things that hadn't even gotten wet. I found some disgusting old shoes (my Other Human hates to throw away shoes) and I said, "I think these have mold on them", and bagged them and he didn't even complain.

Last night I went into the gardening area of the basement and threw away a whole other garbage bag of things that were just hanging out, wasting space. If we don't use it, it's GOING AWAY.

I feel like that old song, I am woman, hear me roar, in letters too big to ignore, this crap has got to get out of my house forevermore!"
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3692 on: August 02, 2016, 11:47:26 AM »
We went through our miscellaneous electronics and found a whole lot of old boxes for things to throw away.  We also found that we have something like 8 or 9 pairs of functional headphones for our phones :P  At least now they are all in one place.

Today I'm going to go through some of my boxes of paper type items and shred a bunch of stuff.

I think that moving in ~6-8 weeks is really going to inspire me to get through a lot of stuff.  Because if I don't get through everything before we move, I'll probably just wind up moving a whole lot of junk with me and that would be terrible!!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3693 on: August 03, 2016, 02:00:28 AM »
I found some disgusting old shoes (my Other Human hates to throw away shoes) and I said, "I think these have mold on them", and bagged them and he didn't even complain.

Laughing

I know that feeling. You actually get mad at the stuff. "Be gone stuff!"
Passed ER second year anniversary

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3694 on: August 03, 2016, 04:30:13 AM »
Okay well I cleared out a couple of my little random paper storage bins on my book shelf.  I probably got rid of about 100+ sheets of looseleaf with random stuff written on it, 5 or 6 old steno books, and some old exams I'd used with my tutoring students.  All in all not too bad.

Today I'm going to tackle the top of my dresser, which has just a ton of random toiletries, a whole bunch of books, and some supplements.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3695 on: August 03, 2016, 07:23:14 AM »
Have been watching Courtney Carver's 21 Decluttering Challenge videos: http://bemorewithless.com/decluttering/

Went through the bathroom cabinets and tossed some old things.  Sorted through my jewelry collection and set aside a bunch of gold and silver items that I don't wear any more and should sell.  I need to figure out where to bring them.

Gathered a few more things for consignment and donation and will bring them in this weekend - it took me a while to reach a critical mass.  And I had some fall/winter clothes I put away in the spring that were out of season then but will be accepted now.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3696 on: August 03, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
Any suggestions on what to do with half-used cleaning and laundry products?  All purpose cleaner that gives me a headache or a specialized laundry additive that didn't quite work?  Pour them down the drain?

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3697 on: August 03, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »
Any suggestions on what to do with half-used cleaning and laundry products?  All purpose cleaner that gives me a headache or a specialized laundry additive that didn't quite work?  Pour them down the drain?

Homeless shelter?  Or just post them on Facebook (if you are a user). I've found it pretty easy to give away stuff like that thru social media.  It's not something many people would but half used at goodwill!  But when you know the person giving it away it's easy to accept.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3698 on: August 03, 2016, 10:04:06 AM »
Good suggestion but I don't do social media.  I may bring them to the local laundromat and just leave them with a note saying "free stuff"...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3699 on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »
Still sorting out things in old apartment while settling into new apartment.

I had hoped to "finish" decluttering before we hand the keys back, but I need to remember from experience that I will adapt to this new normal and then want to start again.

My big problem area is things from my mum. Letters, postcards, gifts, clothes, luggage... I know the money and thought that has gone into it. :(