Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 941646 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3600 on: July 05, 2016, 04:03:00 AM »
My husband had ... odd clothing habits.

Shopping has always been his mum's favourite - and really only - hobby. But while she would always hunt out bargains for herself, buying expensive pieces on sale, when it came to buying clothes for her sons she was just cheap.

He had some godawful clothes when we met. And it took me until after we were married to get her to stop buying him cheap and nasty clothes.

They were also weird about socks. She didn't believe in her sons and husband owning their own socks; they all had to share. So the socks lived in plastic tubs in the lounge room. The sock collection was pretty pathetic. Occasionally someone would get new socks for Christmas and the boys would fight over them. (I say boys - this was still happening when my husband and his brother were in their 20s. And my FiL was in his 50s and still trying to snaffle the "good socks" from his sons! >.<)

We got married. I bought him socks. He wore the socks, I washed them, folded them, put them in his drawer. When the socks wore out, we bought new ones. Fairly simple process. It blew his mind that socks could be so simple.

So that's a litmus test for me. I don't need anything in my life that is going to suck up so much emotional energy as three grown men fighting over socks.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3601 on: July 05, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »
I'm another woman whose husband has significantly more clothes.

Me too- way more clothes.  Though I mostly buy them... it's just easier to find good stuff, inexpensively for him.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3602 on: July 05, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »

Me too- way more clothes.  Though I mostly buy them... it's just easier to find good stuff, inexpensively for him.

I have had to break myself of this habit.  I find nice stuff, cheap, for him all the time.  But then It is my fault if he has too much clothing, because I KNOW when I buy it that he will never get rid of it.  So I had to really just stop buying him clothing unless it was to replace really ratty work clothes basically.  That I will insist on throwing away.

When we met the man owned green jeans (and not the trendy hipster kind!) and hot pink gym shorts, because his mother had bought them, and so he had them.  He had never worn them, but it never occurred to him to just TOSS THEM. 
Journal:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/mayday's-journal/350/  featuring children, chickens (new!) and other ch words.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3603 on: July 05, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »

I wish I was the only person buying my husband's clothes.  He buys things in bulk and holds on to the older items.

This weekend, we went through his closet and got rid of a LOT of stuff.  I'm SO excited.  I need to drop them off at the Salvation Army next weekend.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The MILFY Way to FIRE
« Reply #3604 on: July 05, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
I'm moving in 38 days and have already begun the decluttering, which is surprising to me since we just moved last year and I decluttered then. And a year before that and ditto. We're actually moving to a larger home with one walk-in closet in the master, so Current and I will be sharing a closet instead of each having our own. The last few posts have been helpful in that we'll each probably take a side, and if one can't fit all their stuff in their half of the closet, out it goes!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3605 on: July 06, 2016, 03:31:08 AM »

Same here. :D I bought some space saving coat hangers recently for him and he has twice as many clothes as I do.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3606 on: July 07, 2016, 04:08:13 AM »
Oh my God I had such an epic fail today.

Called up a charity to take away my furniture. They sent a truck around this morning to pick up a lounge, recliner, dining table and chairs, and a mattress.

- Lounge and recliner were "too faded" (bullshit)
- Dining table would not fit through the door... I politely asked them how do you think I got it in the door in the first place?
- They won't take the mattress (fair enough, nobody will want a 15 year old mattress, even if it looks ok)
- Since they didn't take the table, they left the chairs and said "book us again when you disassemble the table"

Bugger

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3607 on: July 07, 2016, 04:19:09 AM »
Oh Marty998 that's so annoying! Hope you sort out a new solution if you're unwilling to work with them again.

I got rid of a pair of shoes. I was keeping them because black formal shoes are always useful, right? Except I had a formal event recently to which I wore a black dress, and the shoes looked ridiculous. Since these things only come up about twice a year anyway, and the one time I had the chance to wear them I rejected them, into the donate box they go.

But I also bought a new pair of trousers, so I don't feel virtuous at all today.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3608 on: July 07, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »
Oh my God I had such an epic fail today.

Called up a charity to take away my furniture. They sent a truck around this morning to pick up a lounge, recliner, dining table and chairs, and a mattress.

- Lounge and recliner were "too faded" (bullshit)
- Dining table would not fit through the door... I politely asked them how do you think I got it in the door in the first place?
- They won't take the mattress (fair enough, nobody will want a 15 year old mattress, even if it looks ok)
- Since they didn't take the table, they left the chairs and said "book us again when you disassemble the table"

Bugger

Hang in there.

It is worth buying back that space in your apartment.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3609 on: July 07, 2016, 06:51:51 AM »
Marty998, that is so disheartening. When my Grandma was moving, they didn't even show up! We offloaded most of her things onto Gumtree for free instead.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3610 on: July 07, 2016, 12:55:45 PM »
I have a little card that says "5 things or 5 minutes" and when I see it I go around and do that.  I either get rid of five things - even if they are five pieces of scrap paper! - or I spend five minutes tidying up.

Yesterday I got rid of 2 shirts that definitely no longer spark joy, a bra that is too big and when I wear it has weird pouchy wrinkles because of that, a bracelet that had gotten too stretched out (elastic) but from which someone might still like the beads, and a little pcoket book of Pema Chodron.

Since I moved into my new little living space, I tend to think I only have the things I really need.  But when I find that card and look around, it feels so good to be able to look for five little things.  :)

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3611 on: July 07, 2016, 12:59:32 PM »
I have a little card that says "5 things or 5 minutes" and when I see it I go around and do that.  I either get rid of five things - even if they are five pieces of scrap paper! - or I spend five minutes tidying up.

What a wonderful little card! Where did you get this lovely idea?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:23:40 PM by FrugalShrew »

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3612 on: July 07, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
I imagine that I read it in a feng shui de-cluttering book.  I've read about ten of them in the last few years, and imagine it came from one of them.  :)

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3613 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:28 PM »
Hmm feng shui de-cluttering books sound like a neat genre. I just made myself a "5 Things or 5 Minutes" post-it. At some point I'll have to make a pretty card :)

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3614 on: July 07, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
I was looking at my closet last night and realized that, even after packing only what I thought I'd need when I moved cross country (via airline with checked luggage), the majority of clothing occupying my closet never gets worn.

It might be time for another round of clothing disposal!

It's amazing with clothes.  I did KonMari my closet before moving, and was sure I was down to just the joy stuff.  Then looked yesterday and realized I still had two shirts I was keeping for poor reasons.  Again and again with the letting go! :)

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3615 on: July 07, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
Hmm feng shui de-cluttering books sound like a neat genre. I just made myself a "5 Things or 5 Minutes" post-it. At some point I'll have to make a pretty card :)

Some of them were really well written, and some weren't.  They all came from the library, so that's okay. 

And I was just thinking that putting it on a post it would be a great way for me to see the reminder in places that stuff accumulates.  Inside a closet door, bathroom cupboard, kitchen junk drawer.....

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
« Reply #3616 on: July 08, 2016, 08:27:14 AM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this. I hate lugging stuff that never gets used around with every move.

Fig

• Stubble
« Reply #3617 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
I've been doing really well clearing out but now I'm at my childhood home facing a big struggle. Just found my college, school and undergrad projects and a lot of old notes and cards. This is hard!
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?”
― Mary Oliver

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/getting-my-act-together/

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3618 on: July 08, 2016, 11:27:32 AM »
My planned hiking trip this weekend got cancelled so I think I will spend the weekend doing another purge of my closet and house in general.  I've been at it for a while but it's amazing how many things I decided to keep over the last year that I now realize I don't need at all...

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3619 on: July 08, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
I've been doing really well clearing out but now I'm at my childhood home facing a big struggle. Just found my college, school and undergrad projects and a lot of old notes and cards. This is hard!

Have you missed ANY of them? If not, clear sign that you don't actually need them anymore.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3620 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »

Have you missed ANY of them? If not, clear sign that you don't actually need them anymore.

If there is anything precious there, e.g. if you want to save the handwriting of a grandparent who has passed away, you could photograph or scan them for posterity.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3621 on: July 08, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »

Oh, Fig!  I recently moved and had to figure out what to do with my college papers.  I only went to college at the age of 37, and I'm 44 now.  Those papers were SO HARD for me to get rid of.

I had to really sit and think about why.

And for me it was that these papers were proof to me that I was smart.  I got excellent marks, and had wonderful comments written on my projects by the profs.  So I held those and read those comments out loud to myself and patted my own back lots.  And then I took a pic with my phone of any of the comments from the profs that I just couldn't part with. 

Then I held those papers to my heart and tried to just imagine all that goodness going right into my skin.  Deep, deep.  So that I wouldn't need the actual papers to prove it to me, anymore, but would have it inside me, carried around inside.

It was still hard!  And I did keep one essay that was particularly pleasing to me.  :)

What do those papers represent for you?  What is it that makes you want to hold on to them? 
I ask that from a curious and very open space - I think those papers have value for us and it's worth thinking about it!

Is it possible to allow yourself to keep one thing that sums that up for you?  Or even two or three things?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3622 on: July 09, 2016, 01:22:01 AM »
An opportunity has suddenly presented itself and we might be moving, very soon.

We are still deciding, but while we talk and ponder, I went into full decluttering mode today.

Friends have offered to help us move but I'm intensely uncomfortable with people knowing I have possessions. I mean, obviously they know I own things, but I'm known as the decluttering, anti-stuff girl. My skin crawls at the idea of people helping us move and being ... disappointed in me?

Anyway, I started a new tally (whiteboard marker on a mirror) and I'm down 57 things for the day.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3623 on: July 09, 2016, 01:23:50 AM »
Also, while surveying cupboards ahead of possible move, I realised I have 11 guest towels. We have guests frequently, at the moment we're in the middle of a stretch of having visitors three times in four weeks.

But we've never had 11 extra people stay in our two-bedroom apartment. That seems unlikely.

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3624 on: July 09, 2016, 02:06:09 AM »

We are still deciding, but while we talk and ponder, I went into full decluttering mode today.

Friends have offered to help us move but I'm intensely uncomfortable with people knowing I have possessions. I mean, obviously they know I own things, but I'm known as the decluttering, anti-stuff girl. My skin crawls at the idea of people helping us move and being ... disappointed in me?

Anyway, I started a new tally (whiteboard marker on a mirror) and I'm down 57 things for the day.
I like opportunities presenting themselves, I see it as payback from the universe for all the rest of the crap.

Feeling uncomfortable about other people knowing details about your possessions is entirely natural: people who have been burgled often say that knowing someone has gone through their belongings is worse than the loss of some of those belongings.  I guess that professional movers can tell some good stories about people's belongings, but at least that is one step removed from the personal.

Regardless, I hope that the decluttering you are doing is for you, not for what other people might think of you as that seems a way to possible future regret.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3625 on: July 09, 2016, 02:16:55 AM »
getting rid of things due to social pressure may backfire.  You are you and it is ok to have some things.  You get to decide.  Maybe this is great motivation but be careful you don't go too far when you aren't personally ready for it.

If that makes sense?

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3626 on: July 09, 2016, 04:02:46 AM »

Having to move ALL your stuff is always the moment you fully realize how much stuff you really own. (The last 2 times I moved it really appalled me)

But don't get demotivated by it, just keep calm. Moving can be a nice opportunity to declutter, but it might be wise to wait a little so you can find out what fits for your new place.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3627 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »
Oh yes.  I still have the box of index cards all my references were written on for my thesis.  I graduated in '75.  I think I have gotten rid of most of my old school stuff - being retired from teaching has ended that "But I could use this in class" feeling.  As in, I did use the index cards, just to show the students that the mechanics of research are so much easier now, but that they still have to think!
I used to shred so much, but I just bought (yes, spent money) a little metal fire pit thing, and I think a lot of paper will get burned now. 
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3628 on: July 09, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
We got rid of four grocery bags of clothes this weekend. There are some small kitchen appliances I want to get rid of. I don't feel like dealing with the hassle to sell them, but they are things that should be sold instead of just donated.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3629 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

Having to move ALL your stuff is always the moment you fully realize how much stuff you really own. (The last 2 times I moved it really appalled me)

But don't get demotivated by it, just keep calm. Moving can be a nice opportunity to declutter, but it might be wise to wait a little so you can find out what fits for your new place.

Thank you. A few people have now commented on me feeling compelled to declutter for the wrong reasons.

I'm not tossing anything I'm not happy to relinquish. But when I consider the volume of what is left by category... I could get rid of one or two books but there is still a whole bookshelf there.

I should probably just trust that my friends who have offered to help move won't judge me.

And moving is definitely a great motivator.

We've been in our current place five years. I've decluttered a lot in that time, but we've also acquired a couple of large pieces of furniture during our time here, which are going to be absolute bastards to move.

We've talked more and I think it's happening. I'm trying to look at the many, many benefits of the new place instead of looking at all the work I've just signed myself up for.

Fig

• Stubble
« Reply #3630 on: July 10, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »

Oh, Fig!  I recently moved and had to figure out what to do with my college papers.  I only went to college at the age of 37, and I'm 44 now.  Those papers were SO HARD for me to get rid of.

I had to really sit and think about why.

And for me it was that these papers were proof to me that I was smart.  I got excellent marks, and had wonderful comments written on my projects by the profs.  So I held those and read those comments out loud to myself and patted my own back lots.  And then I took a pic with my phone of any of the comments from the profs that I just couldn't part with. 

Then I held those papers to my heart and tried to just imagine all that goodness going right into my skin.  Deep, deep.  So that I wouldn't need the actual papers to prove it to me, anymore, but would have it inside me, carried around inside.

It was still hard!  And I did keep one essay that was particularly pleasing to me.  :)

What do those papers represent for you?  What is it that makes you want to hold on to them? 
I ask that from a curious and very open space - I think those papers have value for us and it's worth thinking about it!

Is it possible to allow yourself to keep one thing that sums that up for you?  Or even two or three things?

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this. I knew the papers were there but I didn't realise how much there was. When I first looked at them, I had to go away and mull things over.

For the college papers, they were indeed proof that I was smart (and I'm glad you found such a wonderful way to work through yours, annieme). For various reasons, things don't come as easily to me now, so they had value for that reason. I've cleared out the notes but kept the essays, for now. I will probably let those go soon too, maybe after scanning a few. However, they were also evidence of myself as a thinking and especially a creative person. It struck me very strongly that creativity is lacking from my life, which I need to think about some more.

The other papers - cards and letters - are not things I've forgotten and I'll be keeping many, at least for a while. I will be doing a sift though, when I visit again, because at least some can go. I'm trying hard to remember who the Patricia and John were who sent me a good luck card in 1999 :)

Overall though - I've reduced the volume of stuff by almost half, which feels pretty good. Thanks for your suggestions!
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?”
― Mary Oliver

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/getting-my-act-together/

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3631 on: July 10, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
...However, they were also evidence of myself as a thinking and especially a creative person. It struck me very strongly that creativity is lacking from my life, which I need to think about some more.
I very much understand this!  And how wonderful that you could see that something you would like more of in your life right now is that creativity!  :)
Overall though - I've reduced the volume of stuff by almost half, which feels pretty good. Thanks for your suggestions!

That's awesome!  Quite a step!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3632 on: July 11, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
My planned hiking trip this weekend got cancelled so I think I will spend the weekend doing another purge of my closet and house in general.  I've been at it for a while but it's amazing how many things I decided to keep over the last year that I now realize I don't need at all...

Didn't really do anything other than putting away a couple of items clothing for donation...  I seem to have lost any real motivation for decluttering at this point - I got rid of all the low hanging fruit and now I'm in a holding patter until my daughter graduates next spring because I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to get rid of things that she will want for her own place. 

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3633 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
Finally letting go of a beautiful, soft, cozy blue wool sweater. Le sigh.

I love that sweater but it does NOT fit.
It is too big.  To be clear, just because it doesn't fall off doesn't mean it fits   :)
Ridiculously too big, and when I wear it that bothers me.

It is hard to let go of something beautiful!
That has so many pleasing qualities woven into one garment.

But when I see how it looks on me, I just don't feel good.  It's boxy and floppy.

(Ha! I only *thought* I was ready to let it go.  Apparently over more re-think before committing it to donation box.)

Reasons I love it include:
Colour
Soft wool that isn't itchy
nice neckline

Reasons to let it go:
It doesn't fit
SIL gave it to me, and that rel'shp is over so I'd like to let go of the reminder
It is bulky and doesn't fit under my down jacket or raincoat.
It is bulky and doesn't store well in my sweater drawer

Phew!  Got it!  Time to send it on to someone else who will love it  :)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3634 on: July 11, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this.

SO JEALOUS

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3635 on: July 11, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this.

SO JEALOUS

Seconded!

Also (most likely) moving later this month. I'm decluttering my things and mutual things, but it would be a huge help if he could cull a few books and magazines.

I feel like I'm permanently decluttering at the moment. Just constantly on guard against the number of things coming into the house. My husband travels for work, so there is just an influx of business/first class airline goodies, itineraries, event programs, USB sticks...

Every time he comes home I have to sort through 15 or 20 things and decide, keep or toss or donate.

I've asked him to at least toss in his hotel anything that doesn't need to come home. That will help the process.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3636 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Pulled out two giant boxes of DH's figurines that he hasn't touched in years. There's paint and god knows what in there. They take to 1/4 of the floor space in our crafty room, so now they're out of the cupboard, they need to be sorted ASAP. I'm hoping most of the bulk is crap he doesn't want and poor organisation so we can fit it into one shelf of the new shelving ...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3637 on: July 12, 2016, 05:40:52 AM »
Anyone else watch Insight on hoarding and minimalism tonight?

I watched it while adding printed Taste.com.au recipes to my online Taste.com.au account. This will let me toss two small folders.

(I have my favourites hand-written in a recipe book, but most of the Taste.com.au recipes were saved for 'some day'.)

Save Our Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3638 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
I never know what to do about art supplies, I'm in the process of redecorating and decluttering my room and I came across all my art materials that I really love but they overwhelm me. The thing is, I know I will use the supplies but they take up so much space! And through the decluttering process I find old objects that I can turn into new art projects. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really want the serenity of a clear space but my creativity is important too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3639 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Is it too late to join in? DH and I are moving in less than a month! Although we're essentially doubling our square footage (970 to 1899!), I would still like to make the move easier, and use it as an opportunity to clear things out that we don't need anymore!

The funny thing is, I think I need to go through our clothes, but we're going to have a walk in closet... it's going to look comically empty! But that's no reason to keep clothes that are unloved and unworn. I'll just have to get comfortable with white space!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3640 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Anyone else watch Insight on hoarding and minimalism tonight?
Nope, but I'll be checking out tomorrow if I can watch it online.

I never know what to do about art supplies, I'm in the process of redecorating and decluttering my room and I came across all my art materials that I really love but they overwhelm me. The thing is, I know I will use the supplies but they take up so much space! And through the decluttering process I find old objects that I can turn into new art projects. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really want the serenity of a clear space but my creativity is important too.
I have done it by working out the categories of things in my craft space:
Tools = actual told and stuff I replace if it runs out, eg paint, brushes, stamps, punches, white card, sewing machine

Projects = all the items specific to a particular project get boxes up together. That way I can see how far I'm through, what i need to finish it etc.

Supplies = this is my "useful one day" pile. It should be as small as possible, because it should be sorted into new projects to be used up as I go.

Hope that helps :) the idea of "modules" also helped me sort my supplies by different kind of crafting activity.

Is it too late to join in? DH and I are moving in less than a month! Although we're essentially doubling our square footage (970 to 1899!), I would still like to make the move easier, and use it as an opportunity to clear things out that we don't need anymore!

The funny thing is, I think I need to go through our clothes, but we're going to have a walk in closet... it's going to look comically empty! But that's no reason to keep clothes that are unloved and unworn. I'll just have to get comfortable with white space!
This is a rolling thread, never too late to join :)

Save Our Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3641 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »
Thanks @anatidaev, I really like this idea of categorising. I agree about the modules too, I just need to find a home for each different project! Thanks again :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3642 on: July 12, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Listed an unused TV stand and microwave on CL. If I do't get bites in 1 week, They'll go to Buy Nothing Project, then goodwill if no interest there.

Slow, but starting. Dreading old papers!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy? Group Journal Here.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3643 on: July 12, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
Sorted through my spare bedroom tonight. It's intended as an multifunction space for office, guests and reading but has (as all spare rooms) become a "let's put this random junk in here and sort throw it later"-space. Later, of course, meaning "never".

Dumped all the junk on the floor and forced myself to find a home for it. Half a bag of random paperwork found their home in the garbage. A bag of books is in wait for new homes at the used books store. The rest was useful stuf that's in the box it belongs in. Need to get a box of school memorebelia into the storage room and a broken computer to recycling, then it's an actual space again. For me. Not stuff.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3644 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
Hey All!

I'm new to this thread -- I started reading at the beginning but there were too many posts :-)

Anyway, DH and I are going to move this fall.  We are most likely buying a house and getting more space.  However,  we've been in our current 800 sf apartment for 5 years and boy do we have a lot of "stuff".  I'd like to get rid of anything that we truly don't use to make the move easier.  I figure I've going until mid to late September to get through everything.

We got through his clothes and donated/sold about 5 large grocery bags worth.  I basically took out all of his non work clothes and made him sort through them.  I routinely make sure his work clothes are in decent shape so there was no need to go through them.

I'm onto my clothes but I have a feeling I'll have to do them in stages.  I've recently gained a bunch of weight (stress related to moving, an injury cutting down my running a lot) so I have a lot of clothes that don't fit right now, but hopefully will fit again in a couple of months.  I'm doing a first pass through for stuff that is just plain worn out or that I don't like at all.  When we actually move I'll do another pass through for fit.  Hopefully that'll motivate me to get back into shape.

I think the big fight will be over books - DH has quite a collection and really intends to collect them.  If I can even get him to cut out 20% of his books that'll be a big accomplishment.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3645 on: July 13, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
Last night I culled an inch-high stack of papers from my filing system.

I have a box of things that are to leave the house for new homes (charity, husband's work, in-laws' house, etc).

It's not really clutter but I am trying to run down the pantry and toiletries before we move. Five jars of salsa seemed like a good idea when they were on sale. So did the seven big tubes of toothpaste, six bottles of body wash, five bottles of hand soap and 12 deodorants.

I've somehow never shaken my mum's practice of stockpiling, which made sense when we lived 25km from the nearest supermarket. But I now live 250m from two supermarkets, and walk past them almost every day. >.<

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3646 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
Hey All!

I'm new to this thread -- I started reading at the beginning but there were too many posts :-)

Anyway, DH and I are going to move this fall.  We are most likely buying a house and getting more space.  However,  we've been in our current 800 sf apartment for 5 years and boy do we have a lot of "stuff".  I'd like to get rid of anything that we truly don't use to make the move easier.  I figure I've going until mid to late September to get through everything.

We got through his clothes and donated/sold about 5 large grocery bags worth.  I basically took out all of his non work clothes and made him sort through them.  I routinely make sure his work clothes are in decent shape so there was no need to go through them.

I'm onto my clothes but I have a feeling I'll have to do them in stages.  I've recently gained a bunch of weight (stress related to moving, an injury cutting down my running a lot) so I have a lot of clothes that don't fit right now, but hopefully will fit again in a couple of months.  I'm doing a first pass through for stuff that is just plain worn out or that I don't like at all.  When we actually move I'll do another pass through for fit.  Hopefully that'll motivate me to get back into shape.

I think the big fight will be over books - DH has quite a collection and really intends to collect them.  If I can even get him to cut out 20% of his books that'll be a big accomplishment.

Welcome! Re the books - I'm a bookworm as well. It makes a difference if you know that you personally will be the person to dust, pack, move, unpack, and arrange every single book. Including the bookcases.

Also, designate a set number of bookcases that he has, and inform him that ALL of his books must be on those bookshelves and it has to be semi-neat. No boxes, no stacks nearby, no piles all over the house. Beyond that, leave him to it. Even better if you get him to agree happily to the # of bookcases ahead of time so he can't argue that it's your fault (or really, he could but he'd be in the wrong).

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3647 on: July 14, 2016, 05:20:50 AM »

Welcome! Re the books - I'm a bookworm as well. It makes a difference if you know that you personally will be the person to dust, pack, move, unpack, and arrange every single book. Including the bookcases.

Also, designate a set number of bookcases that he has, and inform him that ALL of his books must be on those bookshelves and it has to be semi-neat. No boxes, no stacks nearby, no piles all over the house. Beyond that, leave him to it. Even better if you get him to agree happily to the # of bookcases ahead of time so he can't argue that it's your fault (or really, he could but he'd be in the wrong).

Thanks for the advice :-)  I'll try for that.  Currently we have just a few book piles.  Living in 800 sf of space I've been able to limit him.  I think that when we move to a house he imagines he'll just have like a library/office filled with books.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3648 on: July 14, 2016, 05:29:52 AM »
Turning out some cupboards tonight.

Problematic items that I'm still considering: photos (most of which exist in digital form), negatives, and souvenirs from trips.

The souvenirs - pins, figurines, etc - have been in a box for five (?) years, and we have no real interest in displaying them. I hate having things around to dust. I should donate them...

Oh, and a small Pringle can of sand from a very famous beach. Which was probably illegal to bring back into Australia.

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3649 on: July 14, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
New to the thread as well.
I should get rid of stuff...
Some things I need to go through include notes from college. I'd like to scan these and have them digital since I know I will probably never need them but I would feel assured having them. Other than that I need to go through all of the nick nack drawers that I have. We have a roommate moving in Aug 1st so I'll probably need to get rid of more. I've got 2 dining room tables which is ridiculous for my 900 sqft apartment, so I need to contemplate getting rid of one of those again.

The biggest help to my decluttering effort has been my dog. Occasionally she decides she is going to destroy something and I have to evaluate "did I really need that - do I need to replace it?"