Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 982974 times)

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3500 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:50 AM »
I cleared out all the cables I had lying around. This wasn't even hard-core decluttering, just throwing out stuff that I could say with 100% certainty that I would never need again.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3501 on: May 15, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »
Thanks on the makeup advice! I'll be careful with the eye stuff, and see about trying decontam methods for some of the others.

I cleared out all the cables I had lying around. This wasn't even hard-core decluttering, just throwing out stuff that I could say with 100% certainty that I would never need again.
Getting rid of that pile looks satisfying!

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3502 on: May 15, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
I am quite proud that the stack that went to Goodwill today was small--meaning that I did a good job clearing out when I moved a year ago, and a good job not accumulating more in the meantime--aside from a bag of clothes, most of what I was clearing out were items I wasn't sure if I would need in the new place. Got rid of an air filter, a box of small items, a coffee-maker and an air-mattress and pump. I did have a humorous moment loading the car, though--my apartment complex has a street gate right by my unit and a parking garage a bit farther away, where my car was parked. When I went out with the first load, I looked to see if the loading zone by the gate was free and was disappointed to see that it was not, because one of my neighbors had parked encroaching on it. It was only when I had hauled load 1 all the way to the garage that I realized I could just pile everything on the curb and then pull my car around and double-park long enough to load the trunk (it's a very quiet side street, esp on Sunday morning). What was the worst that could happen--someone stole the stuff? Then they'd be saving ME work of dragging it to Goodwill!

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3503 on: May 15, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »

I'm not sure about where you are, but here we can take old power cables to the scrap metal dealers. They are keen on the copper etc in the cables so will recycle them.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3504 on: May 15, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
Pulled a box of stuff out from under the stairs and threw it in the bin. Found the stuffed floppy puppy I made for my son when he was a baby. That went in the closet. I will save it for my first grandchild.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3505 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »

I'm not sure about where you are, but here we can take old power cables to the scrap metal dealers. They are keen on the copper etc in the cables so will recycle them.
If in the US, Best Buy accepts cables for recycling. They have drop off boxes right by the entrance to the store.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3506 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:35 AM »

We (Denmark) have public recycling yards that will accept the cables and recycle them. I'll let the government keep that money since the yards also accept and process nasty/expensive stuff like chemicals and asbestos.

ThomFred59

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Piano!
« Reply #3507 on: May 16, 2016, 05:24:40 AM »
Who has actually sold or donated a piano recently? We've exhausted our friends and co-workers with offers to give our piano (a nice petite grand) away as long as they pay the moving costs (to no avail). Seems to be a glut of pianos on the market, and eBay and craigslist have proven to only attract dead end offers.

Thoughts?

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: Piano!
« Reply #3508 on: May 16, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
Who has actually sold or donated a piano recently? We've exhausted our friends and co-workers with offers to give our piano (a nice petite grand) away as long as they pay the moving costs (to no avail). Seems to be a glut of pianos on the market, and eBay and craigslist have proven to only attract dead end offers.

Thoughts?

Maybe use it as firewood? I'm only half way kidding actually. It takes up space and is a sunk cost. Burning it will allow you to save money on heat.

Could pieces of it be worked into new furniture perhaps?

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3509 on: May 16, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »

Thoughts?

Almost as bad as try to give away free asbestos.  Unless it is some highly regarded brand, no one is going to want it.  Maybe break it up in place and recycle the parts the best you can?

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3510 on: May 16, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
Glad to find this thread!  I am in the process of moving from a small house to a single room in a shared apartment and have  been decluttering/downsizing.  Reading about KonMarie reminded me she has a chapter about momentos.  I have a shelf of picture albums/old letters/stuff like that and I haven't known how to tackle it.  I'll read that chapter and see what she's got to say.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3511 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »

Thoughts?

I'd almost suggest painting "Play Me, I'm Yours" and just putting it in a park. :-)
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3512 on: May 16, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »
The problem is usually getting it out of the house in one piece, especially if it is not on the main floor.  I had a pool table to sell/give away and ended up demolishing it to get my space back. No-one wanted it.

Thoughts?

I'd almost suggest painting "Play Me, I'm Yours" and just putting it in a park. :-)
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3513 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
The problem is usually getting it out of the house in one piece, especially if it is not on the main floor.  I had a pool table to sell/give away and ended up demolishing it to get my space back. No-one wanted it.

Thoughts?

Any schools around you can offer it to?

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3514 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Brought about 20 or so (didn't bother to count) empty ink cartridges to Office Max last weekend.  I had no idea that many had accumulated here at the office.  :S  Here's to using more toner than ink in the future to save $$.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3515 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

Thoughts?

Our town has public pianos. It's fun.

If your city has large item trash pick up (ours does annually), put it out the night before. If someone has a truck large enough they will take it (unaware how hard they are to get rid of).  Otherwise it will be gone anyway.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3516 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »
Sorted out all the rags we keep for messy jobs and home improvement work. I designated an ikea bin and decided we could have whatever would fit in there. Went through every rag and it really made me see which were the most useful types. The rest are going to recycling.

Yesterday I had a day off. I was looking forward to pottering round the house, doing jobs, tidying, a bit of cleaning, just generally making things look nice. I was struck - not for the first time since my major decluttering last year - by how easy my life is now. I looked around and there was literally nothing to do.

Nothing to put back in its place (except for one remote control). No piles that needed to be taken upstairs, or from one room to another. No papers piled high that needed to be dealt with. Nothing to repair or mend or procrastinate over. Just a peaceful house.

I had a lovely day, but I had unused house-cleaning energy, so I dusted. Now I don't have anything blocking my way, it took, and I am not exaggerating, 2 mins to do every surface in my living room. DH had done upstairs at the weekend as it is so easy now we just do it without thinking.

Previously, cleaning was a big onerous job, because you had to move so much stuff, find somewhere to put it, put it all back etc. The dust was worse because we did it less often, and it got spread about by moving things back and forth.

Thank you for this thread!

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3517 on: May 19, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »
I got the Konmari book out the library the other day, read the whole thing in 2 nights, and yesterday we did her method.. sort of. i cant be bothered to take everything out my closet and then rehang it, but i was able to go through it on the hangers ok. We ended up taking a whole stationwagon filled with stuff to Goodwill yesterday :)
Thanks for the vid, it was nice to see her in person. I think i will go back in and fold my clothes her way today :-)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3518 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Sorted out all the rags we keep for messy jobs and home improvement work. I designated an ikea bin and decided we could have whatever would fit in there. Went through every rag and it really made me see which were the most useful types. The rest are going to recycling.

Yesterday I had a day off. I was looking forward to pottering round the house, doing jobs, tidying, a bit of cleaning, just generally making things look nice. I was struck - not for the first time since my major decluttering last year - by how easy my life is now. I looked around and there was literally nothing to do.

Nothing to put back in its place (except for one remote control). No piles that needed to be taken upstairs, or from one room to another. No papers piled high that needed to be dealt with. Nothing to repair or mend or procrastinate over. Just a peaceful house.

I had a lovely day, but I had unused house-cleaning energy, so I dusted. Now I don't have anything blocking my way, it took, and I am not exaggerating, 2 mins to do every surface in my living room. DH had done upstairs at the weekend as it is so easy now we just do it without thinking.

Previously, cleaning was a big onerous job, because you had to move so much stuff, find somewhere to put it, put it all back etc. The dust was worse because we did it less often, and it got spread about by moving things back and forth.

What a great result!  I am pretty much in the same situation as you are.  Cleaning is a breeze now!  And the peaceful feeling in the house is priceless...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3519 on: May 21, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »

What a great result!  I am pretty much in the same situation as you are.  Cleaning is a breeze now!  And the peaceful feeling in the house is priceless...
Us too! We've got a quarterly rent inspection, and instead of spending evenings tidying so we could get to stuff to clean it, we just started cleaning! I even washed the windows and the inside of the oven.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3520 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Regarding the piano: In my area, there's an organization that accepts and preps unwanted pianos and gives them to kids (and maybe adults) who want to learn. Maybe there's something similar in your area.

http://pianosforpeople.org/

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3521 on: May 22, 2016, 03:56:47 AM »
I have recently been through my clothes, and encouraged DH to do the same. Have got a few bags to take to donate tomorrow. Also donating some cookbooks and candlestands. My sister is going to take a collection of my old magazines that I had kept for recipes to her work for the children to use. Great to know its all going to be recycled.

I wish I could clear our house of enough stuff that it was easy to clean. Unfortunately there are others in my house that like to keep things. Slowly making progress, bathroom is great, and  the kitchen manages to stay pretty clear also.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3522 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
Roommate and I cleaned the garage this morning. Emptied it, swept, washed, etc. While putting everything back, threw out a couple things and discovered that a box sitting in the garage for the past 6 months has been waiting to go to goodwill... She knows about my goodwill pile and has added to it a few times. Oh well, it'll get taken care of now.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3523 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:38 AM »

It's great isn't it?! I didn't realise how much time I spent putting stuff away, moving it around etc. When I was previously 'cleaning' for a few hour a week I was actually 'stuff managing' for 90% of it, the dusting literally takes seconds if there is nothing in the way. Peaceful is right!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3524 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I finally sorted the box from my ceramics class.  I hate just throwing things out but they can't be recycled.  I put four small pieces out in front of the building with a free sign suggesting they would make good pet dishes. There are quite a few pet owners here soon hoping someone takes them. If not I'll throw them out on Thursday. I had been storing this box on top of my shelving unit. Now that top is almost empty. Perfect.

One of my favorite pair of pants gave up the ghost on our weekend road trip. I very sadly left them in the trash at our air bnb.

I moved the towel bar in the bathroom to a useable location. That should help eliminate some shuffling of towels and drying racks. Yay. The walls are already a mess, so what is one more set of holes if this move is actually useful! 

I am eating the last bits of food in the house this week before I travel for several weeks. This means my fridge is very empty. It's made it easy to rearrange storage. I am now keeping my extra glass jars in the back of the fridge.  The only downside is that they will be damp when I have dry goods to decant into them, but I am so happy to have an easy place to store them. I never use more than a third of the refrigerator space anyway.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3525 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
I sent off a whole package of unwanted crafting supplies and old jewelry (for repurposing/upcycling) to someone on another forum I frequent. (she paid shipping.) So glad to get that out of my house. I always feel guilty for not using up craft supplies even if they're ugly and/or not to my taste.

I am trying to get rid of some vegetable plants I don't have room for, but this is proving surprisingly difficult. I guess I'm going to just put them out at the community garden with a "Free" sign. Got rid of some unwanted planting pots that way already.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3526 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
I am taking a couple of items to consignment this afternoon.  I have also packed a large tote bag with clothes and stuff for donation.  DD has gone through her closet and added a few items too. 

I've noticed that life is much easier when my choices are limited.  Sure it's nice to have lots of options, but mentally I am a lot calmer and less anxious if I have to make fewer choices: clothes, shoes, etc.  So I will continue simplifying my surroundings to achieve as much of that as I can.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3527 on: May 24, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
I am taking a couple of items to consignment this afternoon.  I have also packed a large tote bag with clothes and stuff for donation.  DD has gone through her closet and added a few items too. 

I've noticed that life is much easier when my choices are limited.  Sure it's nice to have lots of options, but mentally I am a lot calmer and less anxious if I have to make fewer choices: clothes, shoes, etc.  So I will continue simplifying my surroundings to achieve as much of that as I can.

Got a check for $76 for consignment items sold over the last month. 

I've been reading up on Project 333 and am really tempted to give it a try.  Now would be a good time, I guess, since it's a start of a new season.  Hmmm...

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3528 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

I've been reading up on Project 333 and am really tempted to give it a try.  Now would be a good time, I guess, since it's a start of a new season.  Hmmm...

I don't usually cash out at the consignment, but use it to buy more stuff.  I think I'll try asking for the cash this time!  Taking my own bag of stuff in later today, so perfect time to read this post.  :)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3529 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »

I don't usually cash out at the consignment, but use it to buy more stuff.  I think I'll try asking for the cash this time!  Taking my own bag of stuff in later today, so perfect time to read this post.  :)
I try to cash out - if I see something I want to buy, I pay for it separately.  Having to pull out my credit card makes me think harder about the purchases I am making and avoid temptation :-)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3530 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
Success!  Monday I put some ceramics practice pieces out for free in the entryway.  They are all gone today!!  I just took down my notebook paper sign.  So glad to have someone use them instead of just trashing them.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3531 on: May 27, 2016, 04:27:37 AM »
leaving the apartment for 2 months travel.  Only had to throw out 1.5 cups plain yogurt, 3 flour tortillas and half a cup of milk. Boyfriend took a block of cream cheese and a head of garlic. That's pretty dang good. Had the last of the eggs, cheese and black beans for breakfast.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3532 on: May 27, 2016, 05:45:14 AM »
leaving the apartment for 2 months travel.  Only had to throw out 1.5 cups plain yogurt, 3 flour tortillas and half a cup of milk. Boyfriend took a block of cream cheese and a head of garlic. That's pretty dang good. Had the last of the eggs, cheese and black beans for breakfast.

That is very impressive, well done!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3533 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
This is a small thing, but I decluttered my nail polish kit today.  In college, OPI polish was sort of my and my roommate's "thing" and we both amassed quite a collection.  Now I only polish my toenails because my lifestyle is hell on manicures.  So I went through and tried to get down to 12 bottles, which would fit neatly in the little trays of the container, leaving the bottom of my little case for polish remover, cotton swabs and tools.  I did manage to get down to 14 by tossing anything that had dried up, couldn't be opened, or had a very close duplicate color.  Also tossed all the sheer colors since I never use them on my toes.  I could tell by the price stickers on some of the bottles that they are almost 20 years old and still good.  I've got enough variety to use each color maybe once a year, so it should pretty much be a lifetime supply.

There is a hoarder house being cleared out and fixed up around the corner from me.  The piles of garbage stacked up out in the yard are atrocious.  Need to go take another look at it for motivation!

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #3534 on: May 28, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
Finally going to get rid of a couple pieces of furniture tomorrow! Hung onto one (casual standing desk) because it's relatively new--so embarrassing to realize I shouldn't have bought it!--and the other (storage ottoman) because my cat loves it, but I hate it, and I feed him, so he can deal.

Feels nice just knowing they're headed out the door! Should've gone ahead months ago.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3535 on: May 28, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
De-cluttered a bunch more stuff from the basement today. One shelving unit is almost clear, and then I want to move it out to the garage.

Have a bunch of shredding to do, and then I can take it to the recycling center tomorrow. Fun way to spend a Saturday evening.

Just keep taking bites out of the elephant.

annieme

• Bristles
« Reply #3536 on: May 28, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
DD (K) had a yard sale today - well, an indoor yard sale as it rained.  And we got rid of so much stuff.  The deal was that then K could keep all the money for her moving fund, but she also had to pack up and take away anything left over.  Glory glory, worked like a charm.  I now have my living room back and have gotten so much closer to being ready to move.  Also put a few things onto a fb swap and sell group - and whatever isn't gone by tomorrow goes to thrift.  Sold a pair of boots so far.  Keep it going out the door!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3537 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »
Took two empty toner cartridges in to recycle.  Half a cupboard shelf cleared out here at the office.  Yay!

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3538 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
I've been decluttering the house slowly for the last few months and I think I have gotten rid of all the low hanging fruit.  I still have a bunch of fall and winter clothes that are waiting to be brought to consignment at the end of the summer.  But other than that, I think I'm in a good place for now, with nothing major remaining to be done.  I think I'm going to turn my focus to decluttering my office at work a bit.  And my e-mail...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3539 on: June 02, 2016, 05:04:26 AM »
A friend asked what I wanted for my birthday. Obviously couldn't think of anything. I said I'm trying to cut down on possessions (and gave a plausible reason that didn't come across as "I don't like material things and I think I'm better than you", I hope).

I suggested getting my nails done or something as I really really don't want any stuff, and I couldn't think of anything I did want experience-wise except a massage, which is really too expensive. We always treat each other to a cheap dinner out, so I couldn't ask for that!

I hope she didn't mind this suggestion. She did ask after all. Well, we'll see. I'll be genuinely happy with anything, I just felt on the spot and it was all I could think of!

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3540 on: June 02, 2016, 08:03:13 AM »
The garage fridge and the unrepairable dryer are now on the driveway - closer to curb.  Basement is getting way more spacious with all the decluttering.
Seeing the possibilities

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3541 on: June 02, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
Took 2 bags of unwanted clothing to the donations dropbox in our neighborhood. Also found a taker for an extra tomato cage that I don't need.

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #3542 on: June 02, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
A friend asked what I wanted for my birthday. Obviously couldn't think of anything. I said I'm trying to cut down on possessions (and gave a plausible reason that didn't come across as "I don't like material things and I think I'm better than you", I hope).

I suggested getting my nails done or something as I really really don't want any stuff, and I couldn't think of anything I did want experience-wise except a massage, which is really too expensive. We always treat each other to a cheap dinner out, so I couldn't ask for that!

I hope she didn't mind this suggestion. She did ask after all. Well, we'll see. I'll be genuinely happy with anything, I just felt on the spot and it was all I could think of!

I have a good friend that has a birthday in June.  We both have enough stuff, and don't really need anything.  I've started buying flowers for her gift.  Sometimes it's a planter with everything already in bloom, or plants for her garden.  This year she will get 2 pots of dayliles to plant at the cottage.  Dig a hole, plunk them in - done in 5 minutes.  Nothing to store, nothing to look after, but something she can look at, and remember her birthday and friend.   Could you just ask for a small bouquet of your favourite flowers?   

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3543 on: June 02, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
I drug some broken containers and boxes that I had been saving (for no good reason) in the garage out to the curb for bulk trash pick up today. The garage still needs more time and TLC but it was a good start.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3544 on: June 03, 2016, 04:15:10 AM »

I have a good friend that has a birthday in June.  We both have enough stuff, and don't really need anything.  I've started buying flowers for her gift.  Sometimes it's a planter with everything already in bloom, or plants for her garden.  This year she will get 2 pots of dayliles to plant at the cottage.  Dig a hole, plunk them in - done in 5 minutes.  Nothing to store, nothing to look after, but something she can look at, and remember her birthday and friend.   Could you just ask for a small bouquet of your favourite flowers?

That is a brilliant idea, thank you! In fact, flowers for the garden would be even better, as I would like to get more colour out there, but balk at the idea of spending money on something so frivolous, and which I may kill. Thank you!

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3545 on: June 04, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
One of the nicest gifts I ever got was a rosebush from my godmother. (She didn't usually gift for birthdays, but this was#16 and she happened to be visiting my family.) Sort of a weird gift for a teenager, but I enjoyed thinking about her every time I looked at it and it made me feel special to get a "grown-up" gift.

What I originally came on here to say was that I spent an hour or so this afternoon rearranging my books. My "help" when I moved in a year ago just opened boxes and dumped them on shelves  which meant that my reference books were mixed with graphic novels which were mixed with signed first editions...went through today and sorted out the "keepers" from the ones that are just passing through, as part of my summer project to "read my own d*** books." I only pulled out about three to give away--I seriously weeded before I moved--but what I do have I can actually find now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:29:38 PM by Noodle »

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3546 on: June 05, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
I seriously weeded before I moved--but what I do have I can actually find now.
I have to do this, and it hurts, I don't want to get rid of any of them!  I often want to reread a book, and it is great having it in the house.  Can you describe your thought processes?  How you decided what to keep and what to get rid of? 

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3547 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
Well, I am not a minimalist living with five books artistically displayed on a shelf, by any means! I still have two large and two small bookcases and my goal is to get the books down to the two big bookcases. I also have a large book collection in my office at work; in my field older books are still really valuable and I like being able to lay my hands on something without hiking down the hall to the office collection. And let's not talk about my Kindle/Nook apps!

My criteria may not work for you, because I am not (mostly) a rereader. Basically, I only hold onto books I expect to use again, or a small collection with sentimental value. Right now I have a lot of books that are just here temporarily, because I let the Amazon used books and used book store purchases get out of hand. But since I tend to only buy hard-to-find titles, especially ones that aren't available as e-books, I don't want to get rid of them until I read them, because I can't get these items at the library. Once they are gone, I intend to get rid of the smaller bookcases, and only have a shelf of "To Be Read" at any one time.

So for me, keepers are:

1. Cookbooks that I have used at least once or expect to use again
2. A small collection of books by people I know or with personal inscriptions
3. A small collection of religious books: I have my christening Bible, third-grade Bible, Confirmation Bible, a hymnbook that belonged to my grandmother, and my actual reading Bible now that my confirmation Bible is no longer repairable
4. A few favorite popular fiction books and all the books by one fantasy author I particularly love--these are my comfort books that I do go back to over and over.
5. A few reference books that theoretically I could get rid of, but either I still use them or they have sentimental value (like the dictionary and collected works of Shakespeare I used in college), or a couple of books on decorating where I want the pictures for reference.

I have moved enough over the last 20 years to have not piled up a lot of books that fall outside these categories--last time around, I got rid of cookbooks that no longer reflected how I cook, or that I didn't like, reference books for hobbies I've gotten bored with, or books that had accumulated somehow that I wasn't interested in reading or rereading.

If you are trying to decide what to keep and what to give away, perhaps thinking about what you would want to have right at hand and what you could wait a few days on from the library would help?

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3548 on: June 05, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
Thanks for the clarity.  I am in much the same boat - 2 bookshelves lost in the flood, and they were jammed.  Not to mention the 5 bookshelves worth that are OK.

Writing here to get my thoughts out - newish mysteries that the library has (I am usually looking at a week+ wait) - will I want to read them again *right away*?  Yes, keep, no, the library can keep them for me
-older books that the library doesn't have - how likely am I to want to read them again? (problem here is, very likely)
-SFF - libraries tend to be weaker here, especially for older ones - again, which would be library available, which not?
-cookbooks - have been creeping up in numbers, time to cull
- gardening - basic ones can probably go, I am an experienced gardener now (although definitely not an expert), the "story" type ones (you know the kind, I moved and this is what I have done with my garden in the new place over the last 20 years), hmm, must reread and decide
- other reference - sort and cull

- fiction - if I can get inexpensive Kindle or Kobo books I am OK with replacing them, but for a lot of non-fiction I like having the paper (illustrations, instructions, etc.).  I know (and finally have the gut feel) that paper books can be lost, just as electronic ones can be, but for some things I really like paper.

Actually, does anyone know an easy way to cut and paste excerpts from a Kindle or Kobo book to Word or WordPerfect?

And I just looked up an author of old gardening books I have - Amazon.ca is listing them for huge amounts of money. How do I sell a book through them?

Noodle, it may be TMI to share, but who is your comfort fantasy author? I have several favourites, but one is the one whose collected works would keep me sane on a desert island.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3549 on: June 05, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
This weekend's project involved taking everything out of the tack room of my horse trailer, cleaning it all and reorganizing so that I'm not wasting precious space on stuff that can reside at the house.  Didn't actually get rid of much at all, and even bought a few plastic boxes to better organize the tack trunk, but it felt like decluttering!  I do have a small pile of things I'm considering selling off instead of storing, but we'll see.  It still looks like a tack store vomited in my living room, but the trailer is perfectly orderly and decluttered now.