Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1026694 times)

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3450 on: April 23, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »
Made $20 at neighbour's garage sale today! I didn't even have to help at the site, since other family was there. So happy all of those items are gone. Now I just learned that the IKEA shelf (possibly also an expedit) that came with our apartment might need to be returned to the land lords.  They offered to sell it to us - um no!  We want less stuff and this is exactly the motivation I need. I will begin emptying squares in the next few days.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3451 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
Cleaned and purged the kids closets today. I still need to do a second round, but it's a start. I have a hard time letting go of the clothes, as most were given to us and I hate the idea of finding them only to need to buy more later. But the truth is, I spend way too much time trying to keep up with all the clothes, and u could easily buy anything they need later on.

Anyone have suggestions on how many shorts/shorts/pants ect to keep? My boys are 5 and 7.

geekette

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3452 on: April 23, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »
I feel like we've been purging for months!  Actually, I think we have, but we're slow. 

We really needed new carpet (existing was approaching 3 decades old), which meant the "catch all" room had to get cleared out, along with all the closets.  We got the carpet last week (ooooh, cushy!) and as we slowly put stuff back in an orderly manner, lots more is getting donated. 

But where does it all come from?!?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3453 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »
I feel like we've been purging for months!  Actually, I think we have, but we're slow. 

We really needed new carpet (existing was approaching 3 decades old), which meant the "catch all" room had to get cleared out, along with all the closets.  We got the carpet last week (ooooh, cushy!) and as we slowly put stuff back in an orderly manner, lots more is getting donated. 

But where does it all come from?!?

This! I got more ruthless with lower quality craft supplies over the weekend. My husband also found some electronics boxes he was happy to part with (finally) so that made me very happy. Our house is so tidy!

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #3454 on: April 25, 2016, 02:46:43 AM »
DVDs. In the space of 12 months they have become an utterly obsolete medium for our household. I reduced our collection of DVDs and CDs from 3 crates, accumulated over say 15 years, to one crate. How must hard-core consumers fare? Needless to say, the single remaining crate lives in the garage where our vehicle does not.

This comes on the back of getting rid of clothes. April in New Zealand is transitional weather-wise and until a fortnight ago it was necessary to have both summer and winter clothes to hand. Like many a minimalist Mustachienne, I don't have much closet space (4 drawers and 1 metre of hanging space only), so this summer-yet-winter palaver forced some tough really quite easy decisions on what really does not deserve to stay.

Pecunia non olet

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #3455 on: April 26, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
I am so proud to be able to post on this thread! We are selling our 2200sf clown home, 3 car garage and shed to live in a 28ft fifth wheel trailer. Whew. The gutting of our home has been daunting. We are currently prepping for a moving sale on saturday. It will be the $1/$5/$10 sale. Some awesome finds for the weekend garage sale shoppers. We just want our stuff to go to good homes, price is not a factor.

Last night we emptied the attic. ACK! What a disaster. It ended up a mountain of old sports equipment. Were talking skis, more skis, lacrosse equipment, vollyballs, tennis balls, baseballs, footballs. OMG I think hubby kept every single sporting item he has owned for the last 30 years!

I am going to feel so light once were down to a reasonable amount of stuff to store!

astephens94

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3456 on: April 26, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
I'm in for this! Some items on my list:

- donate old clothes to community center

- sell old games/hobbies I don't use anymore

- clean out closet crammed full of things I haven't looked at in over a year

That's a start; we'll see where this takes me once these 3 are checked off!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3457 on: April 27, 2016, 04:16:08 AM »
The zipper broke on an old pair of boots. They weren't worth repairing so I threw them out. (part of me was struggling with throwing them out - there was some fear of deprivation/IBL happening for a little while)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3458 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »
I'm having a sale of my purge/kono-ing on Saturday
I've gotten rid of
-old clothes
-old electronics
-unwanted make up
-unwanted books

I don't really expect to make money off of it, but I am glad to just get rid of these things

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #3459 on: April 27, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Last night we emptied the attic. ACK! What a disaster. It ended up a mountain of old sports equipment. Were talking skis, more skis, lacrosse equipment, vollyballs, tennis balls, baseballs, footballs. OMG I think hubby kept every single sporting item he has owned for the last 30 years!

What a drastic change for you! Good luck with the adventure. What will do will all the stuff, do you think? There must be a market and yet putting it all on ebay ... I can imagine it would be so much work and depending on what else you have your plate, pretty daunting.
Pecunia non olet

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3460 on: April 28, 2016, 03:13:18 AM »
I have a stack of paper books that I have read and was going to resell, but I might just donate them. Someone was going to give me his books to sell as well so I will have to consider it before he comes over. It seems like a lot of hassle to put them on Amazon and then have to buy the packaging to send off. Haha, I will see how I feel.:D

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3461 on: April 28, 2016, 03:24:24 AM »
Sold an old hobby supply on Amazon. Honestly, I had forgotten it was listed, just languishing in the 'to sell' pile.

The problem is that knowing I CAN get money for these items makes it hard for me to give them away... yet even the thought of the payment isn't really persuading me to get on and list things for sale.

I will pick a date (my birthday, that's easy), and anything not listed and sold by then will be donated, and any remaining listings deleted. I've decided.

Tris Prior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3462 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
the advicist, I agree - it is such a PITA to list things for sale, and then find packaging for them, pack them up, ship them... but I hate giving stuff away knowing that I might get some money for them. And I have such terrible luck on Craigslist and the Facebook virtual garage sale sites. Nothing but no-shows and people getting pissed that I won't take off work so that I can meet them in the middle of a workday.

I'm starting to get over that now; since we're hoping to move when our lease is up it makes me happy to see stuff leaving the house.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3463 on: April 28, 2016, 08:23:22 AM »
Speaking of the 'I can't give this away, it might earn me/save me money!', I'm leaving my job and have used my desk space and an office closet as a big hoarding zone. Finally biting the bullet and donating some of the stuff that's here because I don't really want it in my apartment and have no runway left to sell or repurpose it. I think this is good and if it means I'm wasting some past money, maybe that will remind me in the future!

Also maybe unrelated but yesterday I passed up the opportunity to buy two beautiful $5 hats because .... well I already have nice sunhats and haven't had cause to use those yet.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3464 on: May 07, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3465 on: May 07, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Set up DH in the study with box of his paperwork and instructions on a whiteboard. YAY. Only un-reproducable records will be kept, everything else is getting recyled with a few documents to be selected for scanning. That's 1/4 m3 I'm happy to see go.

Off to enjoy the sunshine and pull weeds.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3466 on: May 08, 2016, 01:46:07 AM »
Having a yard sale this Saturday with my neighbor. Almost everything that didn't sell on craigslist or eBay is in one place and ready to go. AND it's going to be good weather here.

Will post afterward if I learn anything about yardsaling.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

Campanula

« Reply #3467 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:35 PM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

+1 Just went on holiday with only hand luggage and it was so liberating to have so few possessions to think about. Of course, mentioning this made DH a very nervous man.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3468 on: May 08, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
Set up DH in the study with box of his paperwork and instructions on a whiteboard. YAY. Only un-reproducable records will be kept, everything else is getting recyled with a few documents to be selected for scanning. That's 1/4 m3 I'm happy to see go.

Off to enjoy the sunshine and pull weeds.
So much went out! The recycling bin is full this week.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3469 on: May 08, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »
DW and me just cleared out our upstairs again:

1. A ton of books, now replaced by eBooks
2. Random accumulated junk
3. Her books from medical school (donated to the university)
4. Some electronics

We probably reduced the clutter by 50%. Now we just need to do another 50%.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3470 on: May 09, 2016, 01:57:04 AM »

+1 Just went on holiday with only hand luggage and it was so liberating to have so few possessions to think about. Of course, mentioning this made DH a very nervous man.
It was travelling with only carry on that started me on this journey! It is so great not to have to drop bags off, and leave them with reception, or worry about where they are being unable to leave the car places because there's stuff on the backseat or whatever. I've done this on various lengths and types of trip now, including large temperature variations, and city / hiking stops on the same trip, and I'm never going back.

I know it's annoying for other passengers when everyone has their luggage on board, but no frills airlines have given mustachians only one option!

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3471 on: May 09, 2016, 06:25:50 AM »
It's more of a 1 in, 1 out (but that's better than 1 in, 0 out)- but I bought new t-shirts in the size S, and got rid of all the XS in my closet that I can't fit into anymore.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3472 on: May 09, 2016, 09:02:54 AM »

It was travelling with only carry on that started me on this journey! It is so great not to have to drop bags off, and leave them with reception, or worry about where they are being unable to leave the car places because there's stuff on the backseat or whatever. I've done this on various lengths and types of trip now, including large temperature variations, and city / hiking stops on the same trip, and I'm never going back.

I know it's annoying for other passengers when everyone has their luggage on board, but no frills airlines have given mustachians only one option!

Any tips or resources? I'm the girl who can pack a 50.5lb bag (the max SW airlines allowed for free) for a 3 day trip... and we're going to Italy for 2 weeks and planning to do it in a 50L backpack (one for me, one for him at least).

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3473 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
Any tips or resources? I'm the girl who can pack a 50.5lb bag (the max SW airlines allowed for free) for a 3 day trip... and we're going to Italy for 2 weeks and planning to do it in a 50L backpack (one for me, one for him at least).

Depends a bit on how you will spend your time. Bring clothes that are versatile and can be reworn over and over (if you are the type that washes everything after a single wear, you are going to be stuck). Black slacks can be dressed up or down. Things that can be handwashed and then hung to dry if needed. Shoes that are comfortable and look good so you only need one pair. Pare way down on what toiletries/makeup you really need, be very ruthless. If you bring jewelry, only bring what you wear on the plane.

"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3474 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »

http://www.onebag.com/  All you need to know about traveling with only carry-on.  Also links to other sites available in case, like me, you get facinated with this.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3475 on: May 09, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »

http://www.onebag.com/  All you need to know about traveling with only carry-on.  Also links to other sites available in case, like me, you get facinated with this.

Perfect! Thank you!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3476 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »

This is really nerdy but I made myself a spreadsheet. It lists where we are staying, the average temperature for the time of year (av. high and low), and what kind of activity we might do during the day and evening.

I am exact in that if we're in x city for two days, I know one will be sightseeing on foot, one will be sightseeing in the car, and one night we will have either fancy drinks or dinner. But I'm not like, it's Wednesday, today we must do x! I just list what kinds of activities we'll be doing, so I know what kind of thing I need to wear.

On a trip with city & country, and temperature differences, I tend to do layers. So a cotton dress that looks nice and flowy with flip flops in town in the heat, can be worn with leggings and trainers and a knit tank top underneath on a cooler day. On a colder day the same dress can be worn with a thermal long sleeved t-shirt underneath. That t-shirt can then also be worn on a very cold day with trousers for hiking, with the same leggings underneath those if necessary. I can sleep in the thermal t-shirt whilst camping, if it's really freezing. And then when we're back in a city the cotton dress with heels and a belt, and we're out on the town.

I take wedge heels for evening wear. White jeans, rolled up a little with wedges and a nice vest type top is appropriate for dinner and drinks most places if I don't want to wear that dress every time we go out. The white jeans with a t-shirt is fine for mid temperature days, with trainers or flip flops depending on weather. I look for versatile items. I don't wear jeans much, and blue denim is limiting, but white can read casual or dressy. Dresses are great:  The same one can go from very casual, to summery, to eveningy, just by changing your shoes and demeanour.

Anyway, I list activities, locations, temperatures, and then I choose a rough 'outfit' for each day and evening. I have a tab in the workbook that lists items I am considering taking by 'genre' eg dresses, trousers, t-shirts, vests etc. I include the correct underwear (eg white jeans!) and swimwear.

On the 'day planner' tab I select the clothes from a drop down linked to the second tab showing me what clothes I think I will take. I then use a 'count-if' function to tell me how many times I plan to wear each item on the trip. For a trip of 10 days + if something is not being worn 3 times MINIMUM I remove it, and reallocate something else those days.

I take laundry soap sheets - they are dry little sheets you dissolve in warm water so they can't spill. I only wash things that are dirty (in life, as well as on holiday). Once something is declared 'dirty' it goes in a wash bag to keep it separate. If we happen to stay in a hotel with washing machines (much common than I knew before going carry on), we will put a wash on a night we stay in and do a grocery store picnic. Honestly, I find it fun to work these things out, like a little adventure in our hotel. Otherwise I will pull things out as needed from the wash bag and do it in the bathroom sink and hang over the shower rail / towel rack. I always do this in the evening, by morning it is usually dry.

Pare down on cosmetics massively. I usually buy shampoo when I arrive as I love foreign grocery stores / pharmacies. Get a smallish bottle and you won't need to bring it home. I avoid hotel freebies as they are a lot of packaging for a small amount of product and seem wasteful. 1 lipstick, 1 blusher, it will simplify things greatly.

Depending on where you are going, most things can be bought. Eg, recent trip to the states I was due my period. Years ago I would have taken everything I needed. But they sell tampons in America, you know! I took 1 in my handbag, used that when needed, and immediately went to find a CVS. Not a big deal.

(On a different trip, I had the same plan but my period was a week early! I had 1 tampon and a two day train trip with NO stops. They did not sell feminine hygiene items on board. After a 30 second panic, I got over myself, asked around, and made a couple of very nice friends who gave me what I needed! So if you are somewhere inaccessible, take items with you! But also, most humans are nice, and humbling yourself and asking for help is a good thing to do once in a while, and gives you greater empathy with your fellow humans).

You will have fewer outfit choices. You probably won't care. If you plan carefully, and make sure you feel good in everything you take, no-one will notice you are rewearing the same stuff.

I take a mac (ugh, is this a British word?) - a trench coat? Lightweight. With layers underneath it will protect you from the wind which is often all you need for keeping warm if you have a thermal base layer and cardigan on underneath. Good for over your knees on the plane. I also take a large scarf. It will be a blanket, sun protection, and I can tie it over my head if we hire a convertible. On a cold day it will really make a difference.

Here's what I took for 18 nights in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico with mid way stops in the cooler mountains and finishing off at the grand canyon where it was really cold: 3 dresses, 1 trousers, 2 leggings, white jeans, navy skirt, 4 tops (2 sleeveless - one of which acts as tank underneath other stuff on colder days, 1 short sleeved, 1 long-sleeved), 2 cardigans, flip flops, trainers, wedges, belt, swimsuit, bikini, mac, scarf.

It was plenty and I had loads of choice. You just add layers for colder weather, and take them off for warmer. I stick to navy / white as the 'base' colour for bottoms and cardigans, and tops / scarves etc in bright colours all mix in nicely.

Also: I don't have kids and am generally not a messy person. Also, planning my vacation, down to packing, is a lot of the fun of it for me. I know this system will not work for people who hate organising and spill stuff constantly.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3477 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:57 AM »
I've been on a really good decluttering kick again, must be the warmer weather.:)

The only downside is that some of the stuff had to be trashed so my rubbish bin is very full this week.

UKfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3478 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:12 AM »
As a fellow de-clutterer this NHK TV programme appeared in my Facebook feed this morning; Marie Kondo, KonMari, 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying':

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/konmari/20160507.html

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3479 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »

This is really nerdy but I made myself a spreadsheet. It lists where we are staying, the average temperature for the time of year (av. high and low), and what kind of activity we might do during the day and evening.

It was plenty and I had loads of choice. You just add layers for colder weather, and take them off for warmer. I stick to navy / white as the 'base' colour for bottoms and cardigans, and tops / scarves etc in bright colours all mix in nicely.

Also: I don't have kids and am generally not a messy person. Also, planning my vacation, down to packing, is a lot of the fun of it for me. I know this system will not work for people who hate organising and spill stuff constantly.

Super helpful! Thank you so much.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3480 on: May 10, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »

[...]

On the 'day planner' tab I select the clothes from a drop down linked to the second tab showing me what clothes I think I will take. I then use a 'count-if' function to tell me how many times I plan to wear each item on the trip. For a trip of 10 days + if something is not being worn 3 times MINIMUM I remove it, and reallocate something else those days.

Oh wow! That's amazing.

On a slight different note, I've found that it's a LOT easier to pack with a decluttered wardrobe. If you only have clothes that you love and wear a lot, then packing is simple - anything you pack is something you love.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3481 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:23 PM »
As a fellow de-clutterer this NHK TV programme appeared in my Facebook feed this morning; Marie Kondo, KonMari, 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying':

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/konmari/20160507.html

Thanks for the link! I haven't read the book (the queue to get it from the library is humongous) so I was intrigued to watch this. It's inspired me to have yet another go at my clothes. I've been fairly ruthless over the years and cull from time to time, but it's always good to check if I still love everything in my wardrobe or not.

I've now thrown out 4 elderly pairs of undies and have 2 belts to donate to the recycle shed. More importantly, I've now folded my bras and all my undies as per KonMari. I have to say, my surgical bras do NOT spark joy. However, I do still need to wear them for a while longer so I reluctantly folded them and put them in a drawer. I'm trying to think of them like my medicines. Taking tablets does not spark joy but it's better than the alternative, so I take them.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3482 on: May 11, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »
Just ditched a few pairs of tights that had worn through at the heel, a pair of shoes that had worn out at the heel (pattern there!) and set aside some clothes to consider donating.

My house is full of (mostly unopened) wedding presents, wedding cards, and other people's stuff they lent me for the wedding, like tablecloths. I foresee a lot of organising / decluttering happening between now and when I go back to work on Monday.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3483 on: May 11, 2016, 02:54:06 AM »
I'm cleaning out the shed this month. Have thrown away some old rusted or broken pots and have a nice little pile to go to the thriftshop this afternoon (if I can make it there before they close).

Thinking of going through my closet again after that. I purged it last year, but even though I've only bought a few items I've noticed that a lot of clothes stay unused. And when I think "I might wear this today" I always find a reason not to. These are clothes I loved, once, and I'm not quite sure if they're worn/washed so they fit poorer now or if I'm just done with them. Either way: I can't keep stuff I don't wear. (I have a pile of 6 pants. I wear 2 of them. Over and over and over.. I used to wear the others a lot, but then I got these 2. And they are soooo soft.)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3484 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »
Filed a bunch of papers yesterday morning that were waiting to go into the filing cabinet.  While doing it, I purged a bunch of old statements and bills.  Now I just need to remember to bring them to work for shredding.  Switched my settings at Schwab to paperless except for tax forms and trade confirms, so that will cut down on the statements I get in the mail.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3485 on: May 11, 2016, 07:30:32 AM »
I have make up. It's all out of date according to "use by" guidelines. It's surprisingly hard to part with, because what if I want to do my makeup for some event in the future?...
...well, I'll have to buy new makeup anyway because it's unhygenic to use old stuff on your face. Does infrequently used makeup have a longer use-by date?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3486 on: May 11, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
The last three weeks we have sold or thrown away about 30,000 pounds of stuff (no joke) downsizing from a 5000 sqft house with 5 car garage to a 200 sqft RV+sailboat

A massive decluttering.   Still have about 5,000 pounds to go though.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3487 on: May 11, 2016, 07:38:41 AM »
I have make up. It's all out of date according to "use by" guidelines. It's surprisingly hard to part with, because what if I want to do my makeup for some event in the future?...
...well, I'll have to buy new makeup anyway because it's unhygenic to use old stuff on your face. Does infrequently used makeup have a longer use-by date?

I'm no expert but what I do is: throw out mascara 3-6 months after opening, throw out eyeshadow that's more than a couple of years old and the rest I keep until i use it up or if I'm a bit suspicious about it for whatever reason. I'm a lot more careful about makeup for the eyes than anywhere else because infections can be dangerous.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3488 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »

I'm no expert but what I do is: throw out mascara 3-6 months after opening, throw out eyeshadow that's more than a couple of years old and the rest I keep until i use it up or if I'm a bit suspicious about it for whatever reason. I'm a lot more careful about makeup for the eyes than anywhere else because infections can be dangerous.

+1. Be careful with eye stuff. Otherwise: I'm fairly sure powder products (powder blush and foundation) stay good for years whereas liquid products really do 'turn' in my limited experience.

Makeup / bathroom products are on my list to purge within the next few weeks!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3489 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

+1. Be careful with eye stuff. Otherwise: I'm fairly sure powder products (powder blush and foundation) stay good for years whereas liquid products really do 'turn' in my limited experience.

I need to go through my make-up, it's more of a hobby for me(plus I wear some go-to stuff every day) so I have a ton of really high quality products (almost entirely MAC) but a lot of it is half used and then forgotten. MAC actually will take their old containers back for recycling and if you bring in 6 you can get a free lipstick. I have enough old/empties that I could probably get at least 4 lipsticks... Remembering that it is "expired" does make some of it easier to let go.

I need to declutter my kitchen badly too. Those two areas are next on my list.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #3490 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

yep, i throw out my mascaras and my foundation after a few months or whenever they seem to go manky on me ... if you have older eye shadow or lipstick that you still like, you can always rub the top layer off onto a tissue and give it a spritz with rubbing alcohol to freshen it up (this is what they do at sephora so that you can try things and not get gross infections). i have a couple of fancy eyeshadow palettes that are a few years old that i've done this with, because fancy eyeshadow is stupid expensive and lasts forever in terms of how much you need to use, and i kind of refuse to throw them out!

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3491 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »

Anecdotal only, but I had blush and eyeshadow that was easily more than a decade old and nothing bad happened to me.  Mascara I throw out every few years.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3492 on: May 11, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
The last three weeks we have sold or thrown away about 30,000 pounds of stuff (no joke) downsizing from a 5000 sqft house with 5 car garage to a 200 sqft RV+sailboat

Good god. :)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3493 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

Yeah! Holy cow, how did I miss that!? That is a serious change in lifestyle. Any reason things are happening that drastically?

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3494 on: May 11, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

Yeah! Holy cow, how did I miss that!? That is a serious change in lifestyle. Any reason things are happening that drastically?

Because Roland is a bad ass who built his own RV (with workshop).
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3495 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »

Because Roland is a bad ass who built his own RV (with workshop).

Amazing!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3496 on: May 12, 2016, 03:51:58 AM »

Oh wow! That's amazing.

On a slight different note, I've found that it's a LOT easier to pack with a decluttered wardrobe. If you only have clothes that you love and wear a lot, then packing is simple - anything you pack is something you love.

Totally. In fact, it worked the other way for me - I planned a long trip as above, and when I got back, I realised how easy it had been to dress from a small selection. Packing only carry on is what brought me to decluttering and minimalism! I wanted my whole life to be that streamlined and simple.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3497 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:00 AM »

Super helpful! Thank you so much.

Thanks. Glad you found it helpful because it was kind of an essay and I felt like a bit of jerk taking up half a page with my ramblings!

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3498 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
Three boxes of textbooks, an old freezer the size of a bar fridge, a pool light (fibreboard, not worth recycling the wood) and a pool table are gone gone gone.  The pool table was the long size, and took two strong men over 3 hours to demolish and remove.  Suddenly the basement has space.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3499 on: May 14, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
I buy Clinique foundation and it never goes bad.