Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 982947 times)

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3400 on: April 07, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »

I live in a college town, and some of the students are super wasteful and fill the curbs with decent furniture and household items every July. We have lots of "pickers" in town, so you have to be on top of it & have a truck!
They don't have the cash to store it in a storage unit over summer or any way to transport it back home on the plane/train. They might make an attempt at Craigslist, but when you absolutely have to be gone within 24 hours of your last exam, waiting around for several weeks for someone to finally bite isn't really an option.

I buy that for some students, but not most. The residence halls actually do a good job of dealing with the stuff problem. Apartment turnover happens in July, so if you live off campus (about 2/3rds of students), there's not a rule that you have to vacate your residence after exams. Most of the college students live within a few hours drive, and the vast majority have vehicles, friends, garages, family in area, etc. etc. Some stuff ends up on the curb at May, but they don't really deal with their stuff until they have to move apartments in July. The bulk of it is poor planning, at least in my town.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3401 on: April 08, 2016, 02:24:35 PM »
Spring has arrived!  Woot!

Yesterday:

Returned two Mason jars from last year's canning season to a chicken owning friend.  I also gave her a stack of egg cartons.

Up-cycled two magazines and a catalog to my sister.

I neglected to bring used toner and ink cartridges for recycling.  Bummed.

This weekend I'm (finally!) going to go through old (clean!)  towels and sheets to donate to the local animal shelter.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #3402 on: April 08, 2016, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm getting rid of a skirt and a dress (both pink!), pyjama shorts and a mug.

Dexterous

• Stubble
« Reply #3403 on: April 08, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »
I saw this thread a few years ago.  After a LOT of work, we've managed to get rid of all of our junk and unneeded items.

We began with a 2 bedroom + storage closet + 2 car garage apartment 2 years ago.  All of those spaces were entirely full.  We now live in a 1 bedroom apartment with no garage, and only 1 storage room in the apartment is full (tools, fishing gear, and car cleaning supplies).  It feels good, and will make moving easier in the future!  We plan to live aboard a sailboat in the distant future too, so being accustomed to having less stuff will be helpful for that as well.  Thanks for the inspiration everybody!

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3404 on: April 08, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
In the last week I donated, sold or threw away 47 items.  My goal was 5 items a day.  My dogs got into the challenge and chewed up two items (not items I initially wanted to get rid of - but I can live without them! :)

And so it begins...there is so much more, but I feel better already!

Thrifty Snail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3405 on: April 09, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
I sold 180 dollars worth of stuff I had lying around.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3406 on: April 09, 2016, 03:41:19 PM »
Sold 16 clothing items to a consignment shop and left with 2 new to me pairs of pants and $40.

Dropping off 2 boxes of books and 6 trash bags full of clothes at Goodwill today.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3407 on: April 09, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
Took six boxes of stuff to church garage sale. Mostly my stuff - but some kids toys they have outgrown.
I realized that I couldn't de-clutter all by myself, I live with three other pack rats. I read The Magic Art... from the library a couple of months ago and had a revelation, if the other pack rats read this book too, it might be easier.  I was going away for a conference so I bought the book and left it on hubbies pillow.  He was on page 22 when I got back and he is continuing to read it.  It has become a source of good material to mock me with but he went into DD's room last night and told her she must read the book when he is finished (I didn't think he would read as much as he has - and he plans on finishing it!!!!!!)  My DH is not a big reader so this is epic.  My son is just observing from the sidelines at this point but he is the tidiest of us all so no big deal.  This morning while getting some laundry my hubby says "this room would be huge without all those toys'  I am dreaming of spaciousness!
Seeing the possibilities

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3408 on: April 09, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
Gave away an old thermos to someone looking for one on a facebook group.

www.montanahappy.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3409 on: April 09, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »
Took six boxes of stuff to church garage sale. Mostly my stuff - but some kids toys they have outgrown.
I realized that I couldn't de-clutter all by myself, I live with three other pack rats. I read The Magic Art... from the library a couple of months ago and had a revelation, if the other pack rats read this book too, it might be easier.  I was going away for a conference so I bought the book and left it on hubbies pillow.  He was on page 22 when I got back and he is continuing to read it.  It has become a source of good material to mock me with but he went into DD's room last night and told her she must read the book when he is finished (I didn't think he would read as much as he has - and he plans on finishing it!!!!!!)  My DH is not a big reader so this is epic.  My son is just observing from the sidelines at this point but he is the tidiest of us all so no big deal.  This morning while getting some laundry my hubby says "this room would be huge without all those toys'  I am dreaming of spaciousness!

Yes Frugal Lizard - it is amazing how much stuff we all have. I went through one bookshelf and found a book I distinctly remember buying at the bookstore.  It was 21 years old.  I never read it, but just hauled it around and dusted it for 21 YEARS!!  Read it in one night and donated it.  Goodbye forever.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3410 on: April 10, 2016, 06:13:55 PM »
I bagged up 6 bags of clothes and shoes and Kondo'd my closet and dresser.

I love this phrase. May I steal it?

I, too, Kondo'd a closet yesterday. Actually, I did one closet, and my husband did another. Evidently, that was our Saturday Date Night...and the glass or two of wine I had made it a little easier to declare certain things didn't bring me joy. :)

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #3411 on: April 10, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
NDQ HQ is getting ready for a garage sale this month. We are going deep into every square inch of the home and finding things to sell, donate or trash/recycle. It's been a great weekend of finally seeing more space in this small place. I don't mind a smallish home, but the extra stuff that makes its way in the door was too much.

I'm definitely a Marie Kondo fan and this would make her proud.

NDQ
NDQ

Been a student of badassity, reading and learning here since June 2014. Now that I've stashed thousands, I'm blogging about it:
https://nickelsdimesquarters.wordpress.com/ and on Twitter, @NDQaddsup; Amazon: http://amzn.to/1PyEJUF

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3412 on: April 11, 2016, 07:42:38 AM »

Yes Frugal Lizard - it is amazing how much stuff we all have. I went through one bookshelf and found a book I distinctly remember buying at the bookstore.  It was 21 years old.  I never read it, but just hauled it around and dusted it for 21 YEARS!!  Read it in one night and donated it.  Goodbye forever.

The Kondo method helped me to not feel guilty about stuff.  I was kind of paralyzed because of the embarrassment and guilt of opening up those drawers, boxes, closets and seeing my wasted money and poor decisions.  Getting started and feeling the lightening of the load is so rewarding.  I can see this might get additive.
Seeing the possibilities

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3413 on: April 11, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
Donated my old dictionaries to the library (7 volumes) - they seemed happy to take them. 

Went through my spring/summer clothes and put away 3 pairs of pants that are now too small.  I am continuing to gain weight :-(  I now have several pairs that have been in the "need to lose 10 lbs" pile for over a year but so far I haven't been ready to let go of it...

Put away a couple of items of clothing for donation and a couple for the consignment store.  I still feel like I have too much stuff in my closet, even after reducing by about 50% over the last couple of years.

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3414 on: April 12, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
Big item went out the door yesterday - a piano.  Sent it to my brothers house.  His daughter wants to learn and we had two pianos because I just couldn't bring myself to give either away.  I kept thinking one of my three brothers will want a piano.  Finally five years of two pianos done!
Seeing the possibilities

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3415 on: April 12, 2016, 01:05:16 PM »
A couple years ago, a friend's wife left him and left 2 vintage sewing machines with cabinets/tables. He told me they were working but would go to the landfill unless I found them homes. I took them (well, ok, one set is at my dad's). We've been using one of them as a side table in the living room, but we want to have a side table under which a rolling coffee table can nest (we're building those), so the sewing machine cabinet has to go. We listed it on Craigslist yesterday, and we'll see what happens.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3416 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
I'm in. I've been trying to sell stuff on Craigslist and on Facebook groups for a long time - in some case, reposting over and over again for a year or two! (books, clothing, holiday items, that sort of thing.) I have come to the conclusion that perhaps no one wants to pay money for these items, and I should get them out of my house by whatever means necessary. Especially since we are setting a goal to move next year.

Immediate goals:
- Dispose of large stash of prescription meds that were my father's. He passed away seven years ago. Why are these still in my house? There are drop boxes for disposal of these at police stations in my city, so I will do that.
- Donate old pairs of glasses. I found out my eye doctor will take these and pass along to Lions Club. I have at least 3 old pairs.
- Clean out spice shelf in my pantry. I have lots of dupes - apparently I bought more without realizing what I already had? The shelf is a mess and I can't find anything.
- Dispose of large ugly dresser that has drawers that do not close. Unclear on how to do this, as it is really heavy and I'm not certain we can get it down 3 flights of stairs even with drawers removed. At this point I'm fine "donating" it to the alley (which is common in my city; people put all sorts of perfectly good stuff there for others to take.).

Does anyone else have elderly parents that keep giving them things to sell online? My mother does this - she doesn't have a computer so cannot do it herself. I have two big rubbermaid bins of her crap that she does not want to donate, she wants money for them because "they're collectibles." Sigh. No, mom, they are not. I've been trying to sell some of this for years but no takers. I would donate them but she's got a memory like an elephant and keeps asking me whether they've sold. And reminding me that I am not to give them away/take less than her stated price. At this point, I want to just throw some cash at her, tell her they sold, and dump them. On one hand that seems ridiculous. On the other hand, she struggles with hoarding and it was huge for her to even decide to give them to me to sell, and I want to be supportive of her having less crap in her house. And this stuff is NOT being taken with us when we move, so one way or another I've got to deal with it.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3417 on: April 13, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
Tris- I highly recommend listing the dresser on freecycle and state that pick-up is required.

I've managed to get people to remove all sorts of junk from my house if I gave it to them free :)

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3418 on: April 13, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Iowajes, really? My experience with Freecycle is a) they never show up, or b) they get REALLY REALLY pissed that I am not available during the workday for pickup. Even when I put in my listing that I can only do evening or weekend pickup. Which, whatever, their loss, but I got so tired of the angry texts and emails. So I stopped even bothering with it years ago. It's too bad because you'd think this would be an efficient way of unloading stuff!

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3419 on: April 13, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »
Iowajes, really? My experience with Freecycle is a) they never show up, or b) they get REALLY REALLY pissed that I am not available during the workday for pickup. Even when I put in my listing that I can only do evening or weekend pickup. Which, whatever, their loss, but I got so tired of the angry texts and emails. So I stopped even bothering with it years ago. It's too bad because you'd think this would be an efficient way of unloading stuff!

I think it depends on the neighborhood. I've never used Freecycle, but I've posted free things on sites (Craigslist, etc) and had people come by for them. When I don't have time, I put things out on the curb on Saturday morning with a 'Free' sign, and they're usually gone by mid-afternoon.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3420 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:58 AM »
I got an awesome locker off of Freecycle once, I still use it in the garage to store paint and motor oil.

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3421 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »

When I don't have time, I put things out on the curb on Saturday morning with a 'Free' sign, and they're usually gone by mid-afternoon.

yup, that's what we do except in the alley (where the "Free" is assumed by the fact it is there in the first place!).

Might be able to enlist my neighbor in helping to haul the thing downstairs; he's a big dude.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3422 on: April 13, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
Gathered up a bunch of items needed by new families that arrived with nothing. Feels good to donate to people who really need it and appreciate it. Someone should be coming by tomorrow to pick them up.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3423 on: April 14, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
I was finding it hard to gather up things to go out the door without being messy (can't be messy when Realtors and potential buyers are coming through every afternoon and evening) but I had a couple hours today to do errands and clean up and got 2 big boxes out the door. Just to my car at this point, but will be dropped off at a friends garage sale tomorrow and forever out of my life.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3424 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:49 AM »
Sold an old freebie cable box yesterday for $10.  The buyer also took a bunch of cables I had.  I brought the rest of the random cables to Best Buy for recycling.  Best Buy also recycles various other electronic items and rechargeable batteries so I also brought my old electric toothbrush that I've been trying to dispose of properly forever.

I feel like at this point I have tackled all the low hanging fruit - items that were easily sold or donated.  The items I have been decluttering recently have required a lot more effort to get rid of.  They either take forever to sell or require specialty recycling or a donation to a place other than a charity shop.  But I'm determined to keep on going!

Tick-Tock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3425 on: April 15, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
Two more boxes to Goodwill and a bag of books to the library!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3426 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »
I got rid of a duvet and 3 pillows. It has freed up space and I am going to go and rearrange the cupboard in a minute.

I am going to put all my random stuff that I don't use everyday (footspa/ couple of handbags/teddy bears from when I was younger:)) into a clear plastic box on top of my wardrobe.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3427 on: April 16, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Gave away a rusty old wheelbarrow with a flat tire. Was going to take it to the dump, but then thought someone might want it to make a planter, and I was right!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3428 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
Spring has arrived!  Woot!

Yesterday:

Returned two Mason jars from last year's canning season to a chicken owning friend.  I also gave her a stack of egg cartons.

Up-cycled two magazines and a catalog to my sister.

I neglected to bring used toner and ink cartridges for recycling.  Bummed.

This weekend I'm (finally!) going to go through old (clean!)  towels and sheets to donate to the local animal shelter.

9 bath towels, 3 hand towels, and a stack of dish towels have been neatly bagged up and will be delivered to the shelter this afternoon.  The bath and hand towels are over 18 years old.  Have not gotten to the sheets yet.....

I also threw away a skirt and shirt I've had for about as long.  The skirt had carefully placed safety pins, and the shirt had at least two pin sized holes.  Apparently I find it difficult to spend money on myself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:16:24 PM by MountainGal »

Tris Prior

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3429 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »

I also threw away a skirt and shirt I've had for about as long.  The skirt had carefully placed safety pins, and the shirt had at least two pin sized holes.  Apparently I find it difficult to spend money on myself.

haha, me too. Last week I was at work, happened to look down, and realized the top I was wearing had 3 little holes, each about the width of a pencil tip, down the front. I have no idea how old it was. It got tossed - as I told Boyfriend, we are not so destitute that I have to hang onto holey clothing that never fit me properly in the first place!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3430 on: April 18, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
I finally took a huge bag of stuff to the Salvation Army.  It's been too long since my last trip.  BUT I'm motivated to start purging again!

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #3431 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
One carton to the Goodwill; ours is a drive through so I usually just give them the stuff and run, lest I change my mind.  Every couple of visits, I get a receipt to record all the stuff.

Five items( limit per day) to consignment; picked up a check for$17. from last batch.

Did spices over the weekend.  I use a lot of them, but somehow those little bags/jars can migrate to the back and lose their potency.  I dumped the contents into the compost heap ( they are plant based, right?).

My Kondo-ed T drawer is still folded in her way, resulting in more wear of more shirts, not just relying on the same ones washed or worn on the top.  Looks so pretty,too, and I can now do "the fold" very quickly.  So proud...

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #3432 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:49 AM »
We donated a few things to the recycle shed at the rubbish tip on the weekend:

- a skirt
- a dress
- pair of PJ shorts
- a coffee mug
- phone charger/cigarette lighter car thingy (predates smartphones)
- cassette player adapter for the car

Plus we threw out a bunch of stuff when we cleared out our car before taking it to the wreckers (car was written off in a minor accident a couple of weeks ago).

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3433 on: April 20, 2016, 02:11:09 PM »

haha, me too. Last week I was at work, happened to look down, and realized the top I was wearing had 3 little holes, each about the width of a pencil tip, down the front. I have no idea how old it was. It got tossed - as I told Boyfriend, we are not so destitute that I have to hang onto holey clothing that never fit me properly in the first place!

Exactly.  I did something similar at the beginning of the year with several favorite t-shirts I wore only at home.  They had holes under the arms, and several in the front.  True, no one usually sees me in them except my DH.  But, poor guy, LOL!  I washed them and cut into rags after a small ceremony.  ;)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3434 on: April 21, 2016, 05:04:01 AM »
I finally took a huge bag of stuff to the Salvation Army.  It's been too long since my last trip.  BUT I'm motivated to start purging again!
It's hit me too - I think it might be the changing seasons.

I unpacked my summer stuff and prepped winter things for storage yesterday. I know Marie Kondo says to keep everything out year round, but there is stuff I really couldn't wear from either season, and I prefer having fewer 'options' hanging in my wardrobe.

Took the opportunity to weed out a few things - I was surprised to find about 10 things to go to the charity shop. I got rid of three belts, which made me realise I have way too many if I won't even miss those. Whilst I don't feel like I'm in decluttering mode anymore, the constant maintenance is surprising me, even though I am so strict about bringing things into the house.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3435 on: April 21, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
It's hit me too - I think it might be the changing seasons.

I unpacked my summer stuff and prepped winter things for storage yesterday. I know Marie Kondo says to keep everything out year round, but there is stuff I really couldn't wear from either season, and I prefer having fewer 'options' hanging in my wardrobe.

Took the opportunity to weed out a few things - I was surprised to find about 10 things to go to the charity shop. I got rid of three belts, which made me realise I have way too many if I won't even miss those. Whilst I don't feel like I'm in decluttering mode anymore, the constant maintenance is surprising me, even though I am so strict about bringing things into the house.

I went to drop off a pile of clothes at the consignment store yesterday.  They were swamped!  Apparently the nice weather caused everyone to clean out their closets and bring in stuff!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3436 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
I'm torn.  I have a broken necklace.  I never especially loved it, but I wore it occasionally.  It is probably gold - it was about $100 (I returned a wedding present and there was nothing else in the store I liked and I didn't have a receipt).  There is a store that I know does repairs on jewelry, and it looks like a quick solder is all it needs.

Do I just throw out the necklace?  Get it repaired and donate it?  Get it repaired and keep it?  Put it up broken on Craig's List as a freebie?  Other idea?

It takes up very little physical space, but a surprising amount of mental space.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3437 on: April 21, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm torn.  I have a broken necklace.  I never especially loved it, but I wore it occasionally.  It is probably gold - it was about $100 (I returned a wedding present and there was nothing else in the store I liked and I didn't have a receipt).  There is a store that I know does repairs on jewelry, and it looks like a quick solder is all it needs.

Do I just throw out the necklace?  Get it repaired and donate it?  Get it repaired and keep it?  Put it up broken on Craig's List as a freebie?  Other idea?

It takes up very little physical space, but a surprising amount of mental space.

Take it to a jeweler.  Decide if you want to repair it.  If you're not into it, sell it to the jeweler for scrap gold.  I just sold a few pieces of gold jewelry (damaged and unwearable) and got $100.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3438 on: April 21, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
Cash for  gold place if not a jeweler?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: April 22, 2016, 02:19:53 AM »
I had my gold engagement ring put into a new setting after I broke it gardening. The jeweller told me the gold of the original ring wasn't really worth anything as it was 'bad quality'. I said in that case I'd keep it! I took it away on sold it online (just googled cash for gold, checked lots of reviews, researched the company etc). I got 67 for it. And it wasn't heavy, it was just a ring. So definitely don't throw it away!

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3440 on: April 22, 2016, 06:45:08 AM »
Gave away an old toaster and a patio umbrella to people on an "Everything Free" Facebook group.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3441 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
Cleared out another square of an expedit. They are great for being able to see progress! I've got 5 free spaces in expedite in different rooms, but also stuff in piles on the floor. New, easily trackable goal: no more piles and 3 more free spaces. Then I can rearrange the storage in the house again and get rid of a piece of furniture (bookshelf or an expedit).

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3442 on: April 22, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »
Cleared out another square of an expedit. They are great for being able to see progress! I've got 5 free spaces in expedite in different rooms, but also stuff in piles on the floor. New, easily trackable goal: no more piles and 3 more free spaces. Then I can rearrange the storage in the house again and get rid of a piece of furniture (bookshelf or an expedit).
What is an expedit?

Frugal Lizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3443 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Are we speaking Ikea Swedish?
Seeing the possibilities

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3444 on: April 22, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Are we speaking Ikea Swedish?
What is an expedit?
We are, my apologies. They're shelving with square spaces, and are in 90% of homes here, pretty sure. The square spaces are about 13" by 13" by 13".

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3445 on: April 22, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »
I sorted through a couple of drawers the other day (again) and managed to get rid of some more items. Most are rubbish, items from childhood that I have realised don't have any sentimental value to them, and I am unlikely to wear / use them again. This has created some more space in a drawer, and I am trying to ensure that I don't see this as an area to be filled, but rather space so the drawer can be used easily

When it comes to moisturiser / shower gel etc, I have some work to do here. The new vanity in the bathroom allows for items to be better organised so it will be easier to see what I have and what I need rather than things hiding at the back or in other containers. (As at teacher I get given a number of these items each year) My goal here is not to buy anything until these items are used up (haven't bought any makeup for about 18 months now with this policy) and again I would like the drawer to have some space in it, not be at capacity.

My husband loves his T-shirt drawer now, has even shown it off to some friends as to how great it is.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: April 23, 2016, 03:47:41 AM »
Went through my makeup drawer the other day and tossed: 2 mascaras (one old and one new that I didn't like), 2 really old mostly used up concealers, one old bottle of foundation that was the wrong shade.  I don't even know why I was hanging on to these... I am now down to 1 of everything I use. 

Today I will do some filing and purging of the filing cabinet.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: April 23, 2016, 04:01:03 AM »
I've got rid of a few bits and pieces over the past few days, hmm, can't think what it all was now. I know I finished up a pot of moisturiser yesterday.

My dogs have been driving me up the bloody wall barking at the dog next door so I have moved the garden storage boxes down one side of the fence to block them off. It has really worked and I don't know why I didn't think of this idea sooner!:D I will have a quick check through the boxes to see if there is anything I can de-clutter.

My capsule wardrobe has worked well, but I know I need to buy a few new items when the weather gets warmer as I don't have enough tops for warm weather. I'm going to wait until there is a sale until I buy anything new though. There is at least one top I was going to recycle as nightwear. I'm not sure if I will actually get rid of anything as nothing is ripped or damaged and still can be worn inside the house.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3448 on: April 23, 2016, 05:08:04 AM »
Gave away some car accessories yesterday. I sold it a couple months ago.

Gave my Britta and a few filters to a friend. Water at my new house is decent and I wasn't using it.

Cut up an old bra and sewed the hooks into an "extender" I'm having a hard time finding bras that fit since weight loss. This helps.

Slowly purging clothing again.  Afraid of gaining weight back but ready to move on!  A pair of jeans, fleece pants, jacket and three pair of shoes are in my out box. Tossed worn out socks.

Used up a jar of agave nectar.

Glued my chuck Taylor's.  Glued my kitchen scizzors. 2nd time. Might not last much longer.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3449 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
I've had a major bike consolidation project going on.  The goal is to go from 4.5 bikes to just two for wife and I.  So far I've had two painless craigslist sales for two whole bikes and parted out a bunch of high end "vintage" mountain bike parts on ebay.  I'm pretty happy with the amount of money I got for everything. Between assembling and disassembling bikes, it took a TON of work to get everything in saleable condition.  I don't really mind working on bikes, but if there was ever a case for not buying more stuff than you need, this is it!