Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 897811 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3350 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
The stuff about baby gifts above spurs me to share that I finally gifted two items I've had for literally years-- a beautiful children's book by a modernist author which I bought on a whim because it was lovely and then never managed to gift (think it found the perfect home), and a pair of little baby boots for newborns. I gave it to an expectant mother because whenever I tried to give it to a baby, the baby was past newborn age when I saw it! Glad these have found appropriate homes.
I imagine that's because they don't stay newborns for long, and the new parents are probably overwhelmed :) Good call on giving it to an expectant mother!

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3351 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

This will make going much slower.  We have SO MUCH PAPER....

My parents had EVERY SINGLE tax return in their attic, going back to the 60s/70s, whenever they first started filing taxes. Last summer, I made them shred all but the last 10 years. Mom was arguing with me about the paperwork for the house they sold when I was 10 (I'm 30!), and the house they tried to buy but it fell through, and the purchase papers for cars they don't own anymore and haven't for years. I put them in a pile, waited until she walked away, and put it in the pile to be shredded. Gone :)

In the 1980s, we found a tax return from 1925 that my grandfather had saved. In the early 2000s, my father found his tax return from 1952. It was quite amusing to see the numbers and hear them talk about what they could afford in those days on $5,000 a year. (Both returns had the same income.) I'm glad they saved those returns. But I come from a family of accountants, who are amused by such things.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3352 on: March 24, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
 I'll tell you guys something, I am LOVING all these tax write-offs! Besides the simplicity beauty peace & clarity of a clear space.
I always pay taxes & this year, I may not have to. Omg, yessss. I'll let u guys know how it works out. :)

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3353 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

This will make going much slower.  We have SO MUCH PAPER....

My parents had EVERY SINGLE tax return in their attic, going back to the 60s/70s, whenever they first started filing taxes. Last summer, I made them shred all but the last 10 years. Mom was arguing with me about the paperwork for the house they sold when I was 10 (I'm 30!), and the house they tried to buy but it fell through, and the purchase papers for cars they don't own anymore and haven't for years. I put them in a pile, waited until she walked away, and put it in the pile to be shredded. Gone :)

In the 1980s, we found a tax return from 1925 that my grandfather had saved. In the early 2000s, my father found his tax return from 1952. It was quite amusing to see the numbers and hear them talk about what they could afford in those days on $5,000 a year. (Both returns had the same income.) I'm glad they saved those returns. But I come from a family of accountants, who are amused by such things.

My goal is to SCAN all the old tax returns, put them on a thumb drive and satisfy DH's need for all this memory.  Supporting paperwork for tax returns that cannot be audited by the IRS any longer needs to go....
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

albireo13

• Stubble
« Reply #3354 on: March 26, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »
WE're listing our big house this coming week and the decluttering is becoming serious.
We just have too much Sh$t!  We've been keeping things "just in case'.
I've tried CL but, it's more a pain than it's worth. 9 times out of 10 I find a buyer for an item and we agree on price.  Then I meet him somewhere and
starts trying to talk the price down even more.  Everyone is looking for a steal.
It's not worth my time.

Donating to GW or other charities actually feels better.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3355 on: March 26, 2016, 08:08:54 PM »
More progress-
-Pink purse in a shade I never liked too much - back to Goodwill!
-A couple books from work- some of my coworkers are hoarders, so always great when they will let ANYTHING go.
-A few really old bottles of peroxide from a color line we haven't used in just as long.
- magazines from work, always more magazines (they are sent free of charge, but accumulate like rabbits).

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #3356 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
I've been listening to The Minimalists Podcast while decluttering: http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/
It helps me build momentum. I don't own much but I still find myself with excess.

Things I've sold on cragslist / freecycled / dropped off at salvation army over the last 4+ weeks:
Nintendo 64 + Super Nintendo(this was a hard one but it was sitting in my closet unused for years)
Video games for various consoles I don't even own anymore
Dropped off a bag of various electronic cables, headphones, alarm clock at BestBuy's recycling center
Huge bag of clothes that never fit me or barely wore. I only kept what I actually like wearing.
Sent 3 graduation gowns (elementary, high school and college) to GreenerGrads: https://www.greenergrads.org/
Collected every old CD/DVD/PC software/jewel cases and sent it to CD recycling center: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/

Some things I am working on right now or will be:
  • Currently shredding paper that is no longer needed.  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while :(
  • I have a collection of 50 blu rays. I no longer buy movies since I rent them from the library now. I've been thinking of only keeping my favorite 10 and selling the rest.
  • Selling a small AC unit that I haven't put up in the last two summers
  • I still have a Wii and 3DS that I never really use anymore. It's just sitting there. I could probably get $250-$300 for this and get myself an acoustic guitar that I'll play everyday.
  • Small annoying items and trinkets (key chains, souvenirs, etc.). What do you guys do with these things?

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #3357 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
With the key chains etc, if they are in as new condition and usable, I donate those to charity. You can always duck into a couple of thrift shops and see if they sell that sort of thing. Some people collect certain types of souvenirs and I know some of the local op shops here sell stuff like souvenir spoons or unused postcards.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #3358 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:51 AM »
I've been listening to The Minimalists Podcast while decluttering: http://www.theminimalists.com/podcast/
It helps me build momentum. I don't own much but I still find myself with excess.

Things I've sold on cragslist / freecycled / dropped off at salvation army over the last 4+ weeks:
Nintendo 64 + Super Nintendo(this was a hard one but it was sitting in my closet unused for years)
Video games for various consoles I don't even own anymore
Dropped off a bag of various electronic cables, headphones, alarm clock at BestBuy's recycling center
Huge bag of clothes that never fit me or barely wore. I only kept what I actually like wearing.
Sent 3 graduation gowns (elementary, high school and college) to GreenerGrads: https://www.greenergrads.org/
Collected every old CD/DVD/PC software/jewel cases and sent it to CD recycling center: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/

Some things I am working on right now or will be:
  • Currently shredding paper that is no longer needed.  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while :(
  • I have a collection of 50 blu rays. I no longer buy movies since I rent them from the library now. I've been thinking of only keeping my favorite 10 and selling the rest.
  • Selling a small AC unit that I haven't put up in the last two summers
[/b]
  • I still have a Wii and 3DS that I never really use anymore. It's just sitting there. I could probably get $250-$300 for this and get myself an acoustic guitar that I'll play everyday.
  • Small annoying items and trinkets (key chains, souvenirs, etc.). What do you guys do with these things?

I bet if you hold off on selling the AC for another month, you'll get a higher price for it!

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3359 on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
Has anyone sold a broken iPad (mini)? It has a smashed screen and won't turn on. I think i could see it for parts, but not sure if it has data on there that someone could snoop on- saved passwords and the like.

BeautifulDay

• Stubble
« Reply #3360 on: March 27, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
I've seen a lot of people pledge to declutter everyday for a month starting with 1 item on the first day and 30 (31/28) on the last day.  It is time for me to do some cleaning too, But with some modifications to the standard plan...

I'm not holding myself to a 30 day timeline.  I'm just working on it weekends and when I have time in the evenings.  And I am fliping the schedule and starting with 30 items and working backwards to 1.

Doesn't make sense to start with only a few items at the beginning.  I want to get rid of a bunch of stuff right now! It's driving me crazy. Must declutter now. :)  by the time I'm down to getting rid of only a few items per day I'll be making the hard decisions on what really is worth keeping, and what it just stuff holing me back. 

Two "days" in and I already feel so much better about my home.

We've always been pretty minimalist by nature so don't really have much stuff to start with.  But, life has a way of accumulating.  So it is time to clear out some space both physically and, as a result, mentally as well. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:02:47 PM by My FI future »

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3361 on: March 27, 2016, 04:45:54 PM »
We might be moving in a few months, so I just upped the decluttering ante!  In one day I sorted out 4 big boxes of items to donate, and 6 bags of recycling, and posted some big items for sale.  The recycling included old taxes and paperwork, and unloved hobby supplies. We made $600 in one day, and cleared a ton of space!  I'm trying to build on this start, since we have a potential new place lined up that is 500 square feet smaller with no garage.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #3362 on: March 27, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »
With the key chains etc, if they are in as new condition and usable, I donate those to charity. You can always duck into a couple of thrift shops and see if they sell that sort of thing. Some people collect certain types of souvenirs and I know some of the local op shops here sell stuff like souvenir spoons or unused postcards.

Thanks for the tip! All are in good condition. Some even in their wrapping still. I'll bring to the local charity this upcoming weekend.

I bet if you hold off on selling the AC for another month, you'll get a higher price for it!

I had the same thought. I'm just going to take pictures for the moment and have it ready to be posted sometime next month.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3363 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:57 PM »
We are moving countries, so its become a massive purge. When you keep moving from country to country (like we do-5th time in our 11 years together!), there is sometimes a tendency not to deal with some of the harder to sort through items because they will just get boxed up and shipped to the next location.

But this time is the first time we have moved, since trying to get more minimalist and it has been epic and kind of freeing.

Boxes of CDs have been copied to our hard drives. The majority of our books have gone. DVDS gone. We don't really buy stuff like this anymore, it is all legacy stuff, that we have been carting around the world.

Boxes of paperwork shredded. Some furniture donated. Bags of clothes donated or chucked out.

Yay!!! Our machine is totally lean and we love it. One thing still to work on is digitizing old photos. It was a bridge too far this time but we will get it done in our next country.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3364 on: March 28, 2016, 02:56:33 AM »
We are moving countries, so its become a massive purge. When you keep moving from country to country (like we do-5th time in our 11 years together!), there is sometimes a tendency not to deal with some of the harder to sort through items because they will just get boxed up and shipped to the next location.

But this time is the first time we have moved, since trying to get more minimalist and it has been epic and kind of freeing.

Boxes of CDs have been copied to our hard drives. The majority of our books have gone. DVDS gone. We don't really buy stuff like this anymore, it is all legacy stuff, that we have been carting around the world.

Boxes of paperwork shredded. Some furniture donated. Bags of clothes donated or chucked out.

Yay!!! Our machine is totally lean and we love it. One thing still to work on is digitizing old photos. It was a bridge too far this time but we will get it done in our next country.

Awesome job! Not only is it easier, but it should be considerably cheaper to move now.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3365 on: March 28, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »
Moving house is a great motivator to purge stuff and I imagine moving abroad is even better. I was going to move house last year but we didn't and now have noticed stuff creeping back in.

I can't remember what I've posted on here, but I recently got rid of two wine glasses I didn't like. I bought some new soup bowls the other day and had to reorganise the kitchen cabinets so something had to go out.

Campanula

« Reply #3366 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
The table that's useful about three times a year but has an irresistible attraction for junk and clutter is gone. DH took it to the charity shop, along with a couple of games and other bits of things. Fewer surfaces for junk = more frequent tidying up... I hope.

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #3367 on: March 29, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »
Have you ever used these notebooks for your work/hobbies since you graduated? Is the material still relevant to what you do? If so, then it may be worth your time to scan them. Factor in how much you are paid per hour by how many hours it would take to scan them in, then see if it's worth your time and effort. It very well may not be. Best of luck to you.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3368 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while

When was the last time you looked at any of these notebooks?

I got rid of all my syllabi and tests 8 years after graduation. I had kept them because some of the classes had weird names and it was useful to be able to defend what information I had learned in that class if an employer or grad school asked me about them. (My first job, I actually did this. But once I had established myself in my field, I no longer needed them.)

I hung onto them way too long.

Chances are, your notebooks never get looked at.  I would just get rid of them.

What happens if you get rid of them and you need the information.  Don't you think there is a book or webpage out there where you could find it?

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3369 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:51 AM »
  Does anyone have tips for letting go of old college notebooks? I'm having trouble with this one. I was thinking of scanning but that might take a while

I got rid of all my syllabi and tests 8 years after graduation. I had kept them because some of the classes had weird names and it was useful to be able to defend what information I had learned in that class if an employer or grad school asked me about them. (My first job, I actually did this. But once I had established myself in my field, I no longer needed them.)

What happens if you get rid of them and you need the information.  Don't you think there is a book or webpage out there where you could find it?

Unless you're an academic. Then keep them in hard copy or scanned copy, but keep them. Currently getting a lot of mileage out of notebooks that are decades old from my own grad school days. The professor from those old classes is dead, I'm teaching a new course for the first time in the fall, and it's giving me real insight into how to do it on a daily basis, more than I could get from a syllabus or course outline.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3370 on: March 29, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

Unless you're an academic. Then keep them in hard copy or scanned copy, but keep them. Currently getting a lot of mileage out of notebooks that are decades old from my own grad school days. The professor from those old classes is dead, I'm teaching a new course for the first time in the fall, and it's giving me real insight into how to do it on a daily basis, more than I could get from a syllabus or course outline.

Totally did that too! It has been really great, because i kept the books and notes we read too, perfect for a starting point. I let my profs know I was using their courses as a model, and how influential their courses have been for me. It made their day :)

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3371 on: March 29, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
This weekend I took a pair of pants that were too small, and a blouse that was too big to the consignment store. It's not big money, but it helps a little bit.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3372 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »

Why not just keep them for now, more than likely you'll recycle them next go round if not before.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3373 on: March 30, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
This weekend I took a pair of pants that were too small, and a blouse that was too big to the consignment store. It's not big money, but it helps a little bit.

Money in your pocket is better than something sitting in your closet that just takes up space.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #3374 on: March 30, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
I bought the LifeChanging Magic of Tidying Up in February and read the book. My fiance and I decided to move in April so I have spent the past 25 days or so decluttering and packing up. Our goal is to declutter as much as possible the next three weeks and pack up all of our belongings. Then as we unpack do a second wave of decluttering.

KonMari has been revolutionary for me. I was raised by a serious packrat  and a hoarder lite. I have always struggled with getting rid of "stuff" (donate, trash, recycle or sell) because I would think: 1) It was a gift 2) It was expensive 3) I  bought it myself 4) I might not be able to replace it easily 5) I've owned it a long time or 6) I might use it someday for something

After reading KonMari I am so much happier. I have been decluttering wholeheartedly. I have given away 50 liters of "Stuff", a box of books (which is practically a first- I have 4 bookshelves and a Kindle), donated 5 bags of clothes, and donated 1 bag of textiles to H&M's Close the Loop initiative. I have also had to take out my trash and recycling every couple of days. The crazy thing is- we live in 615 sq. feet. I keep telling my fiance I don't know where all this stuff is coming from since we tend to keep a fairly neat house and it's not an overly large space. I am looking forward to donating another box of stuff, my vanity and an oversize desk this weekend. If I can I'd like to fill up a second box before our drop off on Saturday afternoon.

My fiance is of the belief that every time you move try to only keep half.He has already gone through his clothes, the box of electronic components (cords, chargers, etc), his books, cds and helped me with round one of kitchenware. He is super encouraging and happy that I am finally finding happiness downsizing because I have always been the one to hold onto items. He is also super pleased I sorted through ALL of the paperwork in the house and shredded a couple boxes worth, recycled a couple bags worth and now all of our paperwork can fit into a portable file cabinet (it is ruthlessly organized and has a handle on it)!

I have lent the book to a coworker who was interested in the book, but there was a long waiting list for it at her library.

edited: In the past week and a half I have read through all 69 pages of this thread and the 6 pages of the KonMari review and reading everyone else's decluttering efforts has been super motivating to me to always try and find *one more thing* to get rid of!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:08:26 PM by SuperSaver »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3375 on: March 30, 2016, 09:25:01 PM »
I have given away 50 liters of "Stuff",

haha  :)

a box of books (which is practically a first- I have 4 bookshelves and a Kindle), donated 5 bags of clothes, and donated 1 bag of textiles to H&M's Close the Loop initiative.

I googled this but it wasn't obvious to me how it works. What exactly did you do? Sounds like a great idea.

Warlord1986

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3376 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »

Money in your pocket is better than something sitting in your closet that just takes up space.

That's what I think too. Plus the lady who owns the consignment store is lovely and I enjoy her company, and it's close to the library.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #3377 on: March 31, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »

a box of books (which is practically a first- I have 4 bookshelves and a Kindle), donated 5 bags of clothes, and donated 1 bag of textiles to H&M's Close the Loop initiative.

I googled this but it wasn't obvious to me how it works. What exactly did you do? Sounds like a great idea.

It's very exciting that it's one less thing to throw away!

Cressida- You take a plastic bag (say a grocerystore bag), you fill it with castoff clothes and textiles (I had pjs so ratty I couldn't even make them rags and sweaters darned too many times), you take the bag to the cashier at H&M (any of their stores), they put a sticker on your bag of discards and you get a 15% off coupon that lasts for a few months and then you drop the bag off in this special recycling bin that looks kind of like a trash can. The clothes and home textiles you donate get recycled or repurposed. From my understanding it becomes insulation or some kind of filling or new clothes. IF the clothes are in better condition they can be reworn. You can donate as much as you want but you only get one coupon per day.

http://about.hm.com/en/About/sustainability/commitments/reduce-waste/garment-collecting.html

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3378 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:50 PM »
I keep seeing this thread come up and experience a twinge of guilt for slacking lately on the decluttering.

But today, I stoked up the burn barrel and decluttered the yard.  All the nasty cuttings from my climbing rose are now ash, along with a bunch of twigs and laste year's sunflowers. 

I also sold my old horse's saddle last week, so I'm finally down to just the two I need/use.

Maybe this weekend I'll post my espresso machine and Kitchenaid mixer on Craigslist again.  And my bicycle. and get the last couple bridles from my retired horse posted on eBay at sure to sell prices.  I also have two very nice winter coats set aside because I no longer want them, but need to decide what to do with them.  Might hang on to them until the Rescue Mission does its fall coat drive, so they go to someone who really needs a warm coat.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3379 on: April 01, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
My roommate and I have temporarily cluttered the basement. Here's why.

The next building up from us has someone in it who's been throwing out tons of stuff. Almost every week, there's a massive pile of trash put out. For about the last 6 months. This week, I stopped and looked at the pile, and got angry. I grabbed 2 boxes of BRAND NEW UNOPENED diapers.

Drove home, took my stuff and the diapers inside, and found that my roommate had already pulled a microwave and speaker set. We took my car back to the pile, and filled it up.

End result:
microwave
2 boxes diapers
speaker set
2 rugs
2 baby gates
very nice, new comforter bed set.
ironing board
car stereo, new in box and accessories
handful misc books
bag of the plastic farm toys
2 packages of pads, opened and 1-2 pads missing. Here's the kicker - in the bag with them, I found the receipt from Target when they were purchased. On 3/13/16.
bed side table

We didn't even look in most of the bags, and we didn't grab the bed frame & headboard cause it was buried under bags of stuff. The sheer wastefulness has me really angry - this stuff is new or nearly new, in perfectly usable condition.

Are now posting stuff on Craigslist. We'll be checking the piles in the future.

Edit: 6 months, not 60
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:22:12 PM by Sibley »

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3380 on: April 01, 2016, 09:48:22 AM »
wow, wonder if someone was getting kicked out. You might want to check on that somehow.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3381 on: April 01, 2016, 11:58:10 AM »
I bought a copy of "Spark Joy" by Marie Kondo without having read her first book; I'm hoping the second one is enough to get me by. I plan on tackling my clothes this weekend.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3382 on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:00 PM »
wow, wonder if someone was getting kicked out. You might want to check on that somehow.

It's been going on for months. All winter, at least. Now, a hoarder, I can see - except this stuff is in good shape.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3383 on: April 02, 2016, 12:39:44 AM »

It's been going on for months. All winter, at least. Now, a hoarder, I can see - except this stuff is in good shape.

That's super strange.
Glad you're profiting at least.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3384 on: April 02, 2016, 02:49:04 AM »
Paperwork is all up to date and (finally) everything not needed has been chucked out of the house. The new tax year starts here very soon so it's nice to have everything up to date and organised.

I went through the tool boxes the other day and threw away a few bits and pieces. I couldn't even tell you what they were, or what they were for, so I have no idea why we were keeping hold of them! I found a strap for a cat carrier that was binned. The tools and pet stuff are kept outside in the back garden so that explains why there was still some clutter out there.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:50:49 AM by Squirrel away »

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3385 on: April 02, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
Does anyone know if old prescription eyeglasses can be donated? Googling tells me that they are best recycled or thrown away, since they're not easily reusable, but I wanted to double-check before throwing them out. If it helps, I'm in California. I've also got some disposable daily-use contact lenses, but I don't know if those can be donated either.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3386 on: April 02, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Does anyone know if old prescription eyeglasses can be donated? Googling tells me that they are best recycled or thrown away, since they're not easily reusable, but I wanted to double-check before throwing them out. If it helps, I'm in California. I've also got some disposable daily-use contact lenses, but I don't know if those can be donated either.

The Lions Club here keeps a donation box out at the public library specifically for prescription glasses. Definitely they can be reused unless there's some California law or something?

Grant at Retire CRAZY Good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3387 on: April 02, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
When my wife and I vowed to live without regrets, we didn't really have a clue where that would take us. Ultimately, we downsized from a home of roughly 3600 square feet to about 800 (the apartment section of the building we purchased). Clutter doesn't even begin to describe what we experienced on our quest to live our BIG DREAM.

We used the equity from selling our old place to buy a 1906 building in a small town with ultra-low taxes...we call it loft-living in the country. That was part of our effort to not only declutter, but to do all the things we dreamed about doing before our clock ran out. And, we did it on pennies instead of big bucks.

My wife and I are nothing special, so if we can, so can others. That's what I love about Mr. Money Mustache's website and post. Way practical if you've got the boldness to get up and do.

Now we make most of what we need for our home, workshop, and gallery. We loosely follow a "steampunk theme" to go with the style of the 100-year-old building. (Yep, it's got those old 16-foot tin ceilings, row after row of ceiling fans, and long-leaf-pine flooring.)

As to our decluttering process: give away, trash, or keep. No storage building rent for us! We put a real emphasis on trashing or donating. If you have an interest and want to read more about how we did it, here's one of my recent posts: [MOD EDIT: Spam link removed.]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:32:36 AM by arebelspy »

OneDollarAtATime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3388 on: April 02, 2016, 06:31:06 PM »
Sold $550 worth of "stuff" the last 3 weeks.  Feels great -- more space, less clutter, more freedom...and extra cash in the bank!

Selling things at a loss is a gentle irritation that's quickly smoothed over by the fresh cash in hand.  Plus, some people genuinely have needs for the things I sell to them.

Whatever doesn't sell in the next month goes to the dumpster in the annual HOA 'Spring Cleaning' (to encourage residents to clean out their garages and actually park their cars in it).  Making money on it is a bonus.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3389 on: April 02, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
We sold a set of antique lawn decorations for $100 on craigslist last week and used the money to replace the house's mismatched outlets and light switches.  So proud of my house for paying for some of its own upgrades!  The old owners left us a ton of crap when we bought the house, most of which had to go straight to the dump :\

I've just finished reading Marie Kondo and made it through clothes and books.  I only got rid of one large box of clothes with her method but this is after clearing out two large boxes of clothes when we moved last summer.  I've got half of a box of books to donate or sell, but I'm struggling to let three textbooks go.  They make me happy, but they aren't particularly useful or my top favorites from my degree program.  I've decided to put them aside in a closet and revisit them during the memorabilia cleaning at the end of the KonMari method.
Follow my journey to become an astronaut here!
Or my journal here

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3390 on: April 03, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »
Another half car load out - one full box and two big bags.  Little by little, bit by bit.  Most of this was DD's.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3391 on: April 03, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
Made it through KonMari's paper sorting mission. I was really dreading this, but it turns out that I don't have as many different piles of papers as I expected.  I've got a hanging file box for critical papers, loose papers in the same closet as the filing box and a few bags of papers that had never been unpacked last year. 

I recycled three plastic grocery bags of papers and have another bag's worth to shred.
Follow my journey to become an astronaut here!
Or my journal here

Tick-Tock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3392 on: April 03, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »

I always donate old eyeglasses at Lenscrafters when I get new ones (I keep the pair I just replaced, and donate the pair from before that).  I believe it's for Lions Club or some other charity that takes the glasses overseas. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3393 on: April 03, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »
I'm re-reading through Paper Flow by Bennie & Hinneberg in anticipation of helping DH for through his uni paperwork and putting in place a filing system we will both use. I'm hoping "your primary reference source is books and the internet" will have great sway. I'm also going to offer to scan whatever he thinks is really important, because I don't mind doing it and if it helps him, then I'll be thrilled to do it!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3394 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »
This is silly- but 3 things left my house this weekend I am really happy about.
A book I've needed to return forever, and 2 cans of formula that I've felt guilty about throwing out and finally took to the crisis center to donate.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3395 on: April 05, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »

The Lions Club here keeps a donation box out at the public library specifically for prescription glasses. Definitely they can be reused unless there's some California law or something?

I used to live in CA, I think I remember seeing a donation box for the Lions Club at my eye doctor's office.

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3396 on: April 05, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »

That's super strange.

I live in a college town, and some of the students are super wasteful and fill the curbs with decent furniture and household items every July. We have lots of "pickers" in town, so you have to be on top of it & have a truck!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3397 on: April 05, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

That's super strange.

I live in a college town, and some of the students are super wasteful and fill the curbs with decent furniture and household items every July. We have lots of "pickers" in town, so you have to be on top of it & have a truck!
They don't have the cash to store it in a storage unit over summer or any way to transport it back home on the plane/train. They might make an attempt at Craigslist, but when you absolutely have to be gone within 24 hours of your last exam, waiting around for several weeks for someone to finally bite isn't really an option.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3398 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
While on vacation in China with my DH and 3 kids we got rid of 35 pairs of ratty underwear, 10 sets of ratty PJs, 5 flip flops, and 35 ratty pairs of socks....Our hotel maid must have though we were crazy.  Unfortunately, we added 3 new shirts, a dress/costume, two statues, and two kite reels as "stuff". 
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3399 on: April 05, 2016, 02:54:44 PM »

I used to live in CA, I think I remember seeing a donation box for the Lions Club at my eye doctor's office.

Got it! I'll keep a look out for donation boxes.