Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 897206 times)

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3300 on: March 05, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
Continued progress, but slow. Today I cleaned the spice cabinet. I mostly identified missing or old spices.  I also purged the recipe binder and one 3"stack of school papers.

I bought a 3qt saucepan and a wallet today. The 3qt I accidentally put on the stove but forgot to put water in it. It was 19 years old, and the new one was $25 and I used a gift card. I bought the same brand because it got used almost daily for 19 years (and my old steamer insert still fits it). My old wallet fell in the toilet about 6 mo ago (ew)....I'd been using plastic bags since then!
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3301 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:05 AM »
Packed another large bag for donation yesterday: couple of table cloths, 2 pairs of curtains, some clothes and other miscellaneous things.  Returned 2 pairs of shoes, a handbag and a blouse that I bought on a whim and didn't really need.  Pulled 7 volumes of dictionaries and 2 law school books off the bookshelf and trying to decide what do do with them.  The dictionaries I had since college (late 1980s) and the law school books are the only 2 I kept as they relate to my practice area.  But I've been practicing 17 years now and never looked at them.  Time for them to go, just not sure where :-)

I will keep on going today since I seem to be on a roll...

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3302 on: March 06, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
Two weeks till the movers arrive and we leave the country.

I have been throwing stuff away steadily and trying to work down the food/household/toiletry supplies. Only fresh food is being bought now and we will make some random meals with what is in the cupboards and the fridge/freezer.

I have gotten to the point though, where I am wondering what else to throw out or donate. The moving companies indicated that we did not have a lot of stuff and I was secretly pleased by that :)

All that is left to do is donate some more clothes but I want to keep wearing them to the end. I will be throwing out some kitchen supplies/equipment at the end too. Being more of a minimalist does make moving easier!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3303 on: March 06, 2016, 05:00:14 AM »
We were searching for a good Lego storage option, and Pinterest delivered nicely - a lack IKEA table (we already have one) and properly sized plastic boxes! Just need to buy two more bexes and it's all going to be easy to use!

This was only possible because I cleared out several books and rearranged a bookshelf to take up the stuff that was being dumped on the coffee table. Never could have done this 6 months ago.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3304 on: March 06, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
Gave away a few random toys that I was saving from my kids' childhood in case I have grandchildren. A program for refugees was looking for toys, so it felt like the right time to let them go, even though they had sentimental value.

Also cleaned up an old sandwich toaster and added that to the give away box.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3305 on: March 06, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
A bag of miscellaneous computer cables, mice and a keyboard off to Goodwill.  I try to be realistic in what is still usable and not give them stuff that is completely obsolete (parallel port printer cable anyone?).

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3306 on: March 06, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
We got rid of a chair and towel my boyfriend really hates. He hates the towel because it's too scratchy and the chair because somehow it's always in his way (?).
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

LaineyAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3307 on: March 06, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
thank goodness for Bulk Trash Pickup every quarter.  I put out an intermittently working vacuum cleaner and an old iron (still works) and both were snatched up.

It's surprisingly hard to donate magazines though.  I have a pile of clean, recent ones (gift subscriptions) but our library and local thrift stores don't accept them.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3308 on: March 06, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
I have donated magazines to the hospital in the past.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3309 on: March 07, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
It's surprisingly hard to donate magazines though.  I have a pile of clean, recent ones (gift subscriptions) but our library and local thrift stores don't accept them.

Depending on the magazine topic and number of pictures, schools and after school activities can use them for crafts.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Prodigal Daughter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3310 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
Oh man, I just had a great weekend. Despite waking up Sunday feeling totally tired because of a bout of insomnia in the middle of the night, I got a lot done!

Last week my parents brought me a love seat they were no longer using. I waited to move things around until I had time to make my kids clean out and around the old love seat. (If I could ban NERDS candy from the planet, I would. Luckily the Valentines candy seems to have been consumed and we get a break - for a few months.) So yesterday I hauled my old love seat out to the curb. I'm really hoping someone takes it. My neighborhood is a great place to just put furniture outside and have it disappear. But this old sofa does have attached back cushions and one of them is ripping off, so I'm not sure it will be taken. If it isn't gone by tonight, I'm going to have to haul it to the garage until I can borrow a truck to take it to the dump.

A few weeks ago my microwave shorted out and just stopped working. So I hauled that across my alley to the dumpster. I occasionally use the apartment complex dumpster behind my house because of the massive amount of garbage that blows out of it and into my driveway that I end up picking up - I figure it's an even trade. I also cleared off and wiped down the microwave cart and also got rid of a popcorn popper that we just don't use and got rid of some other junk on the cart shelves.

Back in the living room the cheap little area rug that I inherited from my sister a few years ago got rolled up and also brought to the dumpster. It served its purpose in keeping the beige-y tan carpet underneath from taking all the dirt. It's a high traffic area so I will probably seek out a new rug for that area until I redo the floors in a few years, but this current rug was a bad colorblock pattern that really showed dirt easily and was just not in great condition anymore.

I'm feeling pretty good about getting rid of those big ticket items. Here's hoping the sofa is actually gone when I get home today! :)

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3311 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
If it isn't gone by tonight, I'm going to have to haul it to the garage until I can borrow a truck to take it to the dump.
In my area you can put a sofa out with the normal trash, and as long as you submit a request at least 24h in advance online, it'll be taken with the regular trash pickup. They don't normally have the capacity for furniture pickups, but if you give them a heads up, they'll do it for free.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3312 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »

Depending on the magazine topic and number of pictures, schools and after school activities can use them for crafts.

I post some good finds from magazines on my walls- odd and beautiful pictures . I donate the rest to a "  by donation " bookstore , I used to donate to my place of work- a beauty salon, but we are so inundated with free mag subcriptions there (where I take the slight few I ever want to browse!) & am constantly downsizing the ever growing stacks.
I also keep for reference certain informative pages pertaining to health/dietary/and extreme diet trends & life of a fashion designer, for my own personal interest, that I periodically review . for me it's like the trashy chick lit I sometimes consume. A reminder of the insane compulsive life & ridiculous laps of luxury.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3313 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
I have seen this thread in my "recent new posts" view for a long time and always felt guilty since I love the idea but am apparently a complete hypocrite about actually doing anything about it.

We now have a pile of goodwill clothes from my closet! And I sold my old computer and a pair of headphones on Craigslist last week.

We're moving this summer (from a 1BR so not that crazy) and got married right before moving here, so we have a lot of stuff we should purge.
I know how you feel!  I was doing really well cleaning out our house last year, but I've stalled out.  I did bag up a bunch of stuff a few weekends ago, but the bag is still in the guest bedroom.  My goal for March is to clean out the guest bedroom.  This will take getting my DH on board too.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3314 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »
Another 3" stack of papers this morning plus a bag full of folded receipts.  DD10 actually was the one to do the 3" stack of school papers this morning.  I was super proud of her, as she only kept about 10 items from her stack. This will be my rinse and repeat line for about the next 6 months....I have SO MUCH PAPER.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3315 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »
finally donated our dog crate.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3316 on: March 08, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
Decluttering fail. I sold a foot massager on Craigslist, but the buyer decided it was too noisy after she'd gone home with it, even though she was perfectly happy with it when she tested it out at my place. So now she's going to drive back on Friday to return it. I don't really mind, since she's the one doing the driving, but that's a lot of 40min drives for a $60 machine....

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3317 on: March 08, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Decluttering fail. I sold a foot massager on Craigslist, but the buyer decided it was too noisy after she'd gone home with it, even though she was perfectly happy with it when she tested it out at my place. So now she's going to drive back on Friday to return it. I don't really mind, since she's the one doing the driving, but that's a lot of 40min drives for a $60 machine....

I really try to avoid CL at all costs.  The good thing about ebay is never really have to deal with buyer's remorse.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #3318 on: March 08, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
I gleaned a dozen items   (e.g. blood pressure cuff, label maker, 10 DVDs, HD action cam) from my office.  Rather than throw them out I listed them on a recycle facebook forum for $1 to $10.   Example $2 for 10 DVD batch.   

It is amazing how flaky participants of these forums can be.    I prefer to get the items into hands of people who want them and will use them   but I think a quick trip to a Goodwill drop off site is in order.

ohsnap

• Stubble
« Reply #3319 on: March 09, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »
I donated my wedding dress today!

Good for you!  I need to do this on my next thrift store trip.  My young-adult daughter has no interest in my outdated dress!  And I'm tired of looking at the box in the closet.

ohsnap

• Stubble
« Reply #3320 on: March 09, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
I need a face punch, kick in the pants, or something... please tell me to unload this stuff:  I'm a runner and have collected probably dozens of shirts from races as well as purchases (mostly clearance or thrift-store, so not a lot of $ spent at least).  I have an entire small roll-aboard suitcase on the top shelf of my closet stuffed with them!  I've kept them because I have actually taken some of these excess shirts when I travel and after wearing, I toss them instead of carrying home wet stinky running clothes.  But seriously, how many throw-aways do I need?  (We travel a lot but I think I've done that exactly 3 times).  Also, the suitcase is a small old extra one that someone gave us that I'd like to toss.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #3321 on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
These past weeks I've been reading Marie Kondo's (e-)book and though I am not aggressively throwing stuff in bags, I've progressed a lot in my decluttering. I've emptied a book shelf, a DVD shelf and a 2-drawers filing cabinet (I've kept 5 files, which will move to my spouse's cabinet and we will sell this one). I've already prepared donation boxes and ads on Kijiji.

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe it's weird, but do you even respond to people who answer your ads let's say, more than casually? I don't know if I over-analyze things, but even though I ask for people to please contact me by email, most often than not, I don't even get a ''hello'', ''please'' and ''thanks''. I find it so rude! It makes me want to hit ''delete''. I don't know... I feel insecure about giving my email adress, phone number or address to people I don't know. When they don't act at least a bit polite/civilized, I feel... I don't know, threatened in a way? Like they're being aggressive towards me. I don't know how to explain.

Maybe I should just donate stuff and be done with it. :/

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #3322 on: March 09, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
I need a face punch, kick in the pants, or something... please tell me to unload this stuff:  I'm a runner and have collected probably dozens of shirts from races as well as purchases (mostly clearance or thrift-store, so not a lot of $ spent at least).  I have an entire small roll-aboard suitcase on the top shelf of my closet stuffed with them!  I've kept them because I have actually taken some of these excess shirts when I travel and after wearing, I toss them instead of carrying home wet stinky running clothes.  But seriously, how many throw-aways do I need?  (We travel a lot but I think I've done that exactly 3 times).  Also, the suitcase is a small old extra one that someone gave us that I'd like to toss.

I've grown to like the idea of taking a picture of things I cling to (even though I never use them and forget they even exist). You could do that as a way to remember each of these races. If you want to keep a few shirts just in case, I'd suggest keeping your favourite 3 (or less). It's enough to get you through a weekend or 3-4 days without laundry. :)

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3323 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:17 PM »
These past weeks I've been reading Marie Kondo's (e-)book and though I am not aggressively throwing stuff in bags, I've progressed a lot in my decluttering. I've emptied a book shelf, a DVD shelf and a 2-drawers filing cabinet (I've kept 5 files, which will move to my spouse's cabinet and we will sell this one). I've already prepared donation boxes and ads on Kijiji.

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe it's weird, but do you even respond to people who answer your ads let's say, more than casually? I don't know if I over-analyze things, but even though I ask for people to please contact me by email, most often than not, I don't even get a ''hello'', ''please'' and ''thanks''. I find it so rude! It makes me want to hit ''delete''. I don't know... I feel insecure about giving my email adress, phone number or address to people I don't know. When they don't act at least a bit polite/civilized, I feel... I don't know, threatened in a way? Like they're being aggressive towards me. I don't know how to explain.

Donating would solve the problem.  :)

But no, that is par for the course.  If we have several responses, we tend to only answer ones that are complete and grammatical.  It might sound elitist, but those kinds of responses are the ones that have most typically ultimately resulted in a sale.

If we are getting few bites, sometimes we'll spend time answering others, but often find we'd rather just give it away.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3324 on: March 10, 2016, 04:39:15 AM »

I'm generally selective in my responses to Craigslist buyers.  I ignore the ones that are obviously rude or intrusive (potentially scams).  I'd rather lose a potential sale than deal with someone I'm not comfortable with dealing.  And if I am buying something, I always make sure to send a polite message that will convey that I am a responsible buyer :-)  It takes an enormous amount of patience and time to sell stuff on Craigslist.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3325 on: March 10, 2016, 05:41:06 AM »
I did an unplanned mini-purge in my garage last night, it was awesome. The garage is my weak spot and I tend to just let things accumulate (although I can always park my car in it - it is NOT for overflow house storage). This morning was garbage day and I didn't initially plan to take the extra large garbage bin out as it only had one small bag in it. By the time I called it quits in the garage, I had the bin overflowing. I even swept out most of the leaves. It was so satisfying when I walked to my car this morning.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3326 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
I am proud to report that participation in our local Buy Nothing group is not just good for getting, but good for GIVING.

Today I dropped off 48 used 4-inch plant pots at a district elementary school for their gardening club, and donated three puzzles for their new PreK/K take-home toy library as well. Whoohoo!
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3327 on: March 11, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
I have come very close to sort every inch of the house. In fact I have done one go through completely and that feels amazing.

However my last frontier is not specific areas but projects such as darning, mending, glueing and upholstering.  So the garage has furniture to glue, the linen closet has fabric to use, the closet has mending projects.  Now they hang over me as a specialized form of clutter.

Help!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3328 on: March 11, 2016, 02:48:55 PM »
I have had really good luck with CL but I tend to just sell larger items on it such as furniture, appliances, car etc. I don't feel it is worth my time for the small stuff.

Tick-Tock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3329 on: March 13, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
Five boxes and a bag to Goodwill today.  I've been consciously going through drawers and cabinets, donating or trashing items or putting them out for use, every day for the last few weeks.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3330 on: March 13, 2016, 06:32:48 PM »

Got the massager back on Friday and sold it off to someone else today!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3331 on: March 14, 2016, 07:49:06 AM »
I have come very close to sort every inch of the house. In fact I have done one go through completely and that feels amazing.

However my last frontier is not specific areas but projects such as darning, mending, glueing and upholstering.  So the garage has furniture to glue, the linen closet has fabric to use, the closet has mending projects.  Now they hang over me as a specialized form of clutter.

Help!
I moved into my house 3 years ago. At the time, I cut some fabric off a bolt and put it on clippy curtain rings as drapes, but I didn't hem it or put anything to cover the electrical conduit I used as curtain rods.

A couple weeks ago, I started hemming. I've been hemming during my commute, and now the living room has finished curtains with valances. Now I'm working on the bedroom ones. It feels nice to finally get that project underway.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3332 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »
One set of sheets/duvet cover added to the donation pile.  I have too many as it is.  I'm also debating whether to sell one of my TVs.  This one is in the den and the only thing available on it is Netflix, now that I got rid of cable.  I have to ask my DD if she will want it when she starts living on her own next year, but if not, I'll sell it.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3333 on: March 14, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »

Help!

There's something in KM about dealing with projects that you mean to do someday. Is this a project you *want* to do, or something you feel you ought to do? Is it related to who you are, or to a fantasy self? If you tossed the whole thing, how would you feel?

If it's something you are sure you want to do, can you treat it like a chore, and schedule time to do it? Or to do the first step?

nnls

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3334 on: March 15, 2016, 12:36:40 AM »
I have completed cleaning out my spare room and made a start on my bedroom.

my kitchen and living room was done in January. I had a lot of stuff in my spare room that i had planned to sell but ended up just donating it all.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3335 on: March 16, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
TWO couches committed to the college girl next door when they move to their new house in May. Currently they are in our third car garage, just taking up space. Trading said couches for doggie care during an upcoming vacation- win win!

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #3336 on: March 16, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »

I save these and work out in them I never buy running gear but if you want something else to remember a race by just save the bib and get rid of the shirts.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #3337 on: March 20, 2016, 05:05:50 PM »
Mattress and box spring out to the curb for large trash week.  Contemplated for over a year on keeping them for future consideration but came to the conclusion that I wouldn't want me or any guests sleeping on a 15+ year old mattress.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3338 on: March 20, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

This will make going much slower.  We have SO MUCH PAPER....

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #3339 on: March 20, 2016, 11:04:46 PM »
I cleared out another 27 things from my closet, and a bunch of kitchen stuff today. I finally got rid of the too small tea cups and saucers that came with my dishes, all but 1 vase, and some pots that aren't nearly as good as my newer ones. They all went to a local art studio for still life classes.

I want to reduce my closet by another 50 or so items, but I hate the idea of getting rid of things that are good just to hit a target number. So instead I'm trying a modified version of the 333 project so I can hopefully identify those things I just don't love to wear and get rid of them. I'm on a 6 month clothes buying freeze in the meantime.

Next on my list is garage (should be quick since all I really need to do is move some things out on our heavy trash day) and find a place to sell some antique furniture on consignment.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3340 on: March 21, 2016, 04:55:43 AM »
Yesterday I found some more old paperwork to throw into the recycling. I thought I had been through everything, but there was some more lurking in the drawer.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3341 on: March 21, 2016, 06:20:36 AM »
Tackled some things in the basement over the weekend.  Put some boxes into recycling and some junk into garbage. 

Found: an old Comcast cable box and a bunch of cables and an old violin case with two bows and chin rests in it.  Now they are sitting in the hallway and I'm debating what to do with them.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #3342 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56:48 AM »
We sold our tires (the car was sold last year already). 100 Euros in our pocket and space in our basement. Finally! We put up the tires last spring/summer and no takers. Tried again yesterday (weather was nice) and three people answered the ad within an hour and the tires were picked up within two hours. Im gonna put up the carseat and a pumpkin today. I want more space!
Americans fighting through student loans in Germany - http://aufhellerundpfennig.com

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #3343 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
Tossed 5 old beauty items yesterday.  A prescription face cleanser had a 2012 expiration date.  One jar had a beauty consultant name on the bottom whom I have not dealt with in over 14 years.  This means that particular jar has moved with me 6 different times, between 3 states and back again.  :S

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3344 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:49 PM »
Busted - DH noticed I was shredding folders today from 2001....Yes 2001.  I have been issued a cease and desist order from my DH attorney. ;-) ( Shredding shall only continue during hours when he is away.)  Seriously he tried to tell me he will refer to our 1999 original house closing paperwork and 2001 flip paperwork if we ever purchase a new construction home again and flip it in 2 years....a) we live in a completely different state, and 2) Really?

This will make going much slower.  We have SO MUCH PAPER....

My parents had EVERY SINGLE tax return in their attic, going back to the 60s/70s, whenever they first started filing taxes. Last summer, I made them shred all but the last 10 years. Mom was arguing with me about the paperwork for the house they sold when I was 10 (I'm 30!), and the house they tried to buy but it fell through, and the purchase papers for cars they don't own anymore and haven't for years. I put them in a pile, waited until she walked away, and put it in the pile to be shredded. Gone :)

Though if you still own the house, I can see keeping the paperwork, even after decades. Or at least scanning it in.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3345 on: March 21, 2016, 11:33:28 PM »
I needed to wrap gifts so I pulled out my collection of wrappings (all free and reused from Christmas past etc). I esp go for giftbags & tissue paper. It's worked really great , hav not bought a thing in years. Usu out  by about years end, when I get more :)
Anyway, I organized them again today. I'm a well organized and typically tidy person, but it got in disarray when I moved a few months ago. Recycled several smashed bags and unusable tissue. Even found a $20 target gift card someone inadvertantly left in a card.
It's the little things :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3346 on: March 22, 2016, 03:03:16 AM »
re: unfinished projects, if they are hanging over you, just get rid of them. You don't owe 'completion' to anyone.

If they are things you really would like to use in your home, focus on that and just do the work to get them to a useable state. Focus on how much joy you will get from them when they are done, even if you are not enjoying the process.

I threw out an embroidery I was 80% done with to commemorate the birth of my niece (who will be 6 this year!). I just hated the sight of it, it had hung over me for so long. She never knew about it, so it's not like anyone was waiting on it. I got much joy from planning it and starting it. I felt so much better once it was out of the house. No need to make our own lives harder.

I feel like I'm moving onto stage two of Marie Kondoing (I've made that stage up myself, btw). I am starting to replace mediocre things that I needed with things I love. First up is a new pair of work shoes, made in England, which fit perfectly. I hadn't realised how badly my last pair fitted until I swapped in the middle of a work day (I wanted to try them out on carpet for a few hours in a real-life situation before I decided to keep them). How wonderful it is to take a step and feel secure, not like my shoe is going to fall off or slip away from under my foot. The heels were rickety too.

Unfortunately I think I may have been buying all of my shoes one size too big for a few years. Anyway, they feel great.

I am also upgrading items in my wardrobe, but I make my own clothes, so it's not too hard on the budget. I could do with a new work suit though, and even with making it myself, fabric + lining for such an undertaking won't be cheap (though it will be in comparison to buying decent ready-to-wear, I suppose).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3347 on: March 22, 2016, 03:31:41 AM »
I have had a blanket I made for a friend's kids in my craft room for two years. Tonight I am re-wrapping it for a cousin's new baby - because we'll actually see them and their baby is brand new. Feels great!

I'm at KonMarie Stage 1B, where I feel like I've found the click point but there still seems to be little bits and pieces I am finding to get rid of.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3348 on: March 22, 2016, 06:56:47 AM »
My wife and I got rid of several things the other day and organized a fair bit.

I love doing that, it feels so freeing!

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3349 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
The stuff about baby gifts above spurs me to share that I finally gifted two items I've had for literally years-- a beautiful children's book by a modernist author which I bought on a whim because it was lovely and then never managed to gift (think it found the perfect home), and a pair of little baby boots for newborns. I gave it to an expectant mother because whenever I tried to give it to a baby, the baby was past newborn age when I saw it! Glad these have found appropriate homes.