Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 777027 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3000 on: December 18, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
Last night I reached my goal of decluttering 2 things per day for 2015! I was struggling a bit at the end, but discovered a drawer full of trinkets and crap that I hadn't gone through yet which put me well over the top. I still need to work on paperwork decluttering and photos, but that may be next year's project. :)

Nice! Slow and steady :)

My wife scanned or shredded 90% of our paper files the other weekend- took her probably 4 hours.  The few things we need to keep in paper format (like the deed to our house) fit in a small box.  (Photos we haven't touched yet.)

Awesome. I'm looking forward to achieving that level so much!
I put in an hour or two of paperwork decluttering this summer and was surprised at how easy it was once I started. I got rid of all the easy things, like 10 year old phone bills and pay stubs. I'm not sure why it's so hard for me to get started again. 4 hours seems like it's well worth it just to have it off my to do list!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3001 on: December 18, 2015, 01:25:56 PM »
Two pairs of worn out running shoes in the trash today (not worth donating because they're very lightweight and the uppers rip about the time the soles lose their bounce).

I need to find a box to start the next round of items to donate.  I have at least 4 items earmarked for the box and I'm sure I can find more.  Getting things donated before the end of the month for the tax write-off should be good motivation.

Pulled out a pair of boots that I haven't been wearing because the liner has ripped out around the heel.  Decided they're in too good of shape otherwise to throw away, and that I'll wear them if they're repaired, so they will be dropped offat the cobbler for repair next week.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3002 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Just sold a good chunk of things in the storage unit. Not only am I saving >$200/month, I made $70. Boo yah. Also made some new friends.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3003 on: December 19, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »
I feel so much less stressed with fewer possessions. I've done really well this year with getting rid of clutter.

I hope next year is even better for all of us.:)

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3004 on: December 19, 2015, 12:46:36 PM »
Took our jar of coins in to the coinstar machine at the credit union and replaced it with $33 in cash. This is the first money I've made from decluttering, so I'm quite excited. (OK, I didn't actually *make* money, but I converted a pile of metal into liquid cash that takes up much less space. )

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #3005 on: December 19, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
I decluttered 300 emails and 5 regular sources of emails. Down to less than 500 in my normal inbox! Note for my other 3 email addresses (professional, blog and work).
Got rid of another 150, down to 350. Yay! I might actually start having time to read then soon :P

Just sold a good chunk of things in the storage unit. Not only am I saving >$200/month, I made $70. Boo yah. Also made some new friends.
Took our jar of coins in to the coinstar machine at the credit union and replaced it with $33 in cash. This is the first money I've made from decluttering, so I'm quite excited. (OK, I didn't actually *make* money, but I converted a pile of metal into liquid cash that takes up much less space. )
These sound very satisfying.

LaineyAZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3006 on: December 20, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »
Staples.com has a coupon for free shredding up to 5 lbs.  For those papers that are confidential or private and for those who don't have access to a home or office shredder, this would be ideal.  Expires Dec 31st so it's an incentive to use the lull between Xmas and New Year's to get this done.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3007 on: December 20, 2015, 06:44:26 AM »
Next year I need to get rid of the rest of the copper pennies I had been keeping in a box. It was Marie Kondo that said that it was a stupid idea as most people never bother to go and get them changed. I keep taking a handful out when I go to the shop but the box is still about one third full!

I think I will get rid of some decorative items too. I have had a wooden buddha and a white birdcage ornament for years but I don't really like them any more. They will be bought by someone else if I give them to a charity shop and I've realised I prefer to see mostly empty surfaces.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #3008 on: December 20, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Good idea, Londoner38. I take my change torhe local fruit and vegetable market so it never seems to accumulate.  It seems disrespectful of money to leave it in a box idle and I know our reserve bank has in the past appealed for us to cash in our coins to prevent them having to make more -seems everyone is stashing coins.
I'm staying with my parents for the holidays and have realized how much I love my spare surroundings.  Every surface here is covered in knick knacks and I have the overwhelming desire to sweep them all off just to see a bare surface. My mum has bought a bunch of stuff for us from the op shops and rather than take it all and sort it at my home,  I will do that here so I only take things that we will love and use and discretely return what we don't to the nearest clothing bin. One of my goals for 2016 is to be a better gate keeper to prevent refilling my home. Ks

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3009 on: December 20, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Ah, just made a goodwill run. Got rid of one chair, one small bookshelf, an old vacuum cleaner, two giant boxes of books, and two bar stools.

Now, I only need to get rid of a kitchen table, a huge nice entertainment center that I don't want (solid oak and well constructed), a corner desk (that I totally forgot about), and a bigger bookshelf. Once those are gone, my stupid storage unit will be empty. If only I had a fire pit...it is all mostly made of wood, and I could just burn it.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3010 on: December 20, 2015, 06:36:07 PM »
Ah, just made a goodwill run. Got rid of one chair, one small bookshelf, an old vacuum cleaner, two giant boxes of books, and two bar stools.

Now, I only need to get rid of a kitchen table, a huge nice entertainment center that I don't want (solid oak and well constructed), a corner desk (that I totally forgot about), and a bigger bookshelf. Once those are gone, my stupid storage unit will be empty. If only I had a fire pit...it is all mostly made of wood, and I could just burn it.

Those old oak entertainment centers make great raised garden beds.  Just flip on the side and fill with dirt. 

I've spent most of the day sifting through my things and have two three more boxes to get rid of.  It's down to time-consuming detail work now, but I think it's worth it.  I've had my eye out for some new buttons to dress up a rather boring cardigan, and today I found some perfect ones I'd completely forgotten about right in my own home.  Sewed them on the sweater and it now looks 100 times better and I have one less piece of clutter.  Also used some spare shoe laces for my horses' new tail wraps.  My shoe and clothing situation is pared down enough that I'm able to get rid of some storage pieces and move most of my shoes into the closet (along with the hamper).  My dressers have tons of space and the tops are 100% clear. 

Should be poised to swoop in and finish up the rest of the house once I go on my staycation next week.  Hoping husband will take note and get rid of some of his crap but I know better than to push the issue. 

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3011 on: December 20, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »

Those old oak entertainment centers make great raised garden beds.  Just flip on the side and fill with dirt. 

Holy crap. I didn't make that logical jump. I was thinking I might have to cut them up, and was trying to figure out how to reclaim the wood for my raised bed I was building. Skipping that step is absolutely brilliant. Might be a touch high, but I suppose I could partially bury them in need be. Thank you!

Oh, and I forgot to add I have a bowflex ultimate in there too.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3012 on: December 20, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
Cool, I wasn't sure if you were a gardener or not.  Glad you can use it.  I have a couple tall beds and freaking love them.  So easy to tend without as much stooping.

So... maybe use the BowFlex as a trellis?  ;-)

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3013 on: December 20, 2015, 11:44:12 PM »
I hadnt felt "done" for some time and today managed to pull out 4 grocery bags worth of clothes. Now I think I have gotten all I can and now it is time to be ruthless on what comes in my home. Last week I received several small gifts and I gave away the pretty gift bags right that day.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3014 on: December 21, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »
About a year ago, I started dealing with the mountain of toiletries that I owned- stuff that I'd bought, stuff from hotels and stuff I'd been given. Its taken a full year to use most of it.

I think I am down to 10-15% of what I had!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3015 on: December 21, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »
Finally managed to take those bags to the charity shop.

I also dropped a suit off at the dry cleaners. I don't know why, but I've been avoiding doing this for ages. I feel like with less stuff to manage errands don't seem as daunting anymore. (It's probably because my car boot is now finally empty. For most of this year, it has had bags in it in the hope I will pass a charity shop when it's open).

I also reduced the number of folders in my email accounts. I practise inbox zero, but had way too many folders, some of them defunct. Now, it's not only easier to decide where to file something, it's quicker, because all folders fit on one screen of my Outlook app, so I can quickly file without scrolling.

And lastly, on Sunday I needed an outfit that was smart, but not businessy. I didn't want to wear a dress. And this left me with virtually nothing. I realised I now have ZERO trousers that aren't jeans, and only one skirt that isn't part of a suit. And I was kind of annoyed. And then I realised, well, I do have one skirt, so that's everything that I need. I put it on, made an outfit I have never worn before from other stuff, and actually felt great in it. I realised that had I worn the trousers I was cursing myself for donating, I would have felt uncomfortable all day, as I just did not like them. So, my lesson for the weekend was: enough, really is enough.

I never understood people saying, "It's easier to get dressed with fewer option!", but I think I'm starting to get it. I only had one thing I could wear, so the decision was made for me. It was so obvious there was no, "hmmm, this or that?". I just wore the only suitable thing, and because I'd been ruthless, it was something I liked. A shallow and ridiculous revelation, but it did blow my mind, just a tiny bit.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3016 on: December 21, 2015, 05:00:12 AM »
I looked at my birdcage and it has a crack in it so it was unfortunately binned rather than donated.

Good idea, Londoner38. I take my change torhe local fruit and vegetable market so it never seems to accumulate.  It seems disrespectful of money to leave it in a box idle and I know our reserve bank has in the past appealed for us to cash in our coins to prevent them having to make more -seems everyone is stashing coins.

Yes, I think it is a habit I've had since I was a child when you used to put the pennies in a jar, count them up and take them to a bank, but I don't know why I'm continuing it as an adult.:D

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #3017 on: December 21, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
I'm feeling a resurgence of decluttering coming on, especially considering the holidays are approaching. I will see if I can make a big push to clean out my closet again.
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #3018 on: December 21, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
I've been working on decluttering my computer CDs. It turns out I have installation CDs for computers I haven't had in many years and software CDs that don't even run on my current computer.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3019 on: December 21, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I've been working on decluttering my computer CDs. It turns out I have installation CDs for computers I haven't had in many years and software CDs that don't even run on my current computer.

I went through a stack of backup CDs/DVDs that have been laying around for so many years...I found some dating back to 2000!!!

The vast majority of them were no longer relevant, but I did find some stuff (old photos) that I copied to a flash drive. I tossed the discs.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3020 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55:41 AM »
I just wore the only suitable thing, and because I'd been ruthless, it was something I liked. A shallow and ridiculous revelation, but it did blow my mind, just a tiny bit.

That's not shallow or ridiculous. It's the magic of tidying up. When you like everything you have, and you don't have stuff that bothers you, getting dressed becomes something you don't have to worry about any more. So far, I've only thoroughly tidied my socks and underwear, but even there, knowing that everything in the drawer works and fits is genuinely gratifying. It's amazing how much energy we (well, some of us) expend dealing with clothing-baggage, and how freeing it feels to discard even a little.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3021 on: December 21, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
Bit of a loss or stagnation, but my brother says he wants two chairs that are in our attic.  They're out of the way, but we had decided to list them on Craigslist (they need a deep cleaning or reupholstering and none of the local charities will take donations in that condition).  Which means waiting a year until he graduates and can them them with him.

Oh well.

But, I did go through our attic storage and put a healthy pile of things in our donation pile - out of season clothes that didn't get missed, etc.  There will be more when I put away the tree and go through the storage dump-all.  It's the last vanguard of clutter in the house, mostly left over from the renovation days.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3022 on: December 21, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
About a year ago, I started dealing with the mountain of toiletries that I owned- stuff that I'd bought, stuff from hotels and stuff I'd been given. Its taken a full year to use most of it.

I've started to do this just recently. I can't wait to have it all cleared out. Its tempting to just toss it, but I love to use things up even more. I will probably take a moment and just combine all the like products into larger bottles.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #3023 on: December 21, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

I've started to do this just recently. I can't wait to have it all cleared out. Its tempting to just toss it, but I love to use things up even more. I will probably take a moment and just combine all the like products into larger bottles.

I did that too- consolidate and conquer!  Almost through most of it.  For some reason I have way too many bandaids, but I'm not willing to increase my injury rate in order to use them up.

I finished the Kondo book yesterday and it's evidently had an effect on me, because I came to work this morning and immediately rearranged things in my cubicle and got rid of some things that were stashed under my desk for the last few years.  Planning to do more this week since we'll be reorganizing the office in the not too distant future and having things under control will make the cube move much easier.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3024 on: December 21, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
[...]  For some reason I have way too many bandaids, but I'm not willing to increase my injury rate in order to use them up.
[...]

That is awesome!! Just for the record, I did get my entertainment center back to the house, and will be using them for raised beds as you suggested. Also, just for the sake of having more fun, they aren't called raised beds. They are going to be called EGC Modules (Entertainment Garden Center).
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3025 on: December 21, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »

I did that too- consolidate and conquer!  Almost through most of it.  For some reason I have way too many bandaids, but I'm not willing to increase my injury rate in order to use them up.

Hah, yes I also have more Bandaids than any person could expect to use in a lifetime! But they don't have an expiry date so in 20 years, maybe we will be ready to buy a new box!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #3026 on: December 21, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
I finally gave in and this weekend bought the three Billy bookcases I'd been eyeing at Ikea (and stained a nice lumber top to tie them all together) to create a more organized media area with books on the shelves and TV and Wifi router on top ... after moving things around to reorganize the living room, I've now packed up a huge bag of things (including about 25 books) for Goodwill and sold on Craigslist my two Expedit bookcases, two other folding bookcases (wtf with the bookcases!), and two random stools that were serving as plant stands for more than DOUBLE what I paid for the Billy setup. So I've managed to significantly declutter, buy/make something I love, and make a profit off the whole thing ... feels pretty awesome. I'm having surgery in January and will be holed up in my living room for way too long so I'm motivated to have it set up in a way that feels good (joyful, even!) and not anxiety-provoking ... thanks for the inspiration, Mustachians!

Eirene

• Bristles
« Reply #3027 on: December 21, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »

That's not shallow or ridiculous. It's the magic of tidying up. When you like everything you have, and you don't have stuff that bothers you, getting dressed becomes something you don't have to worry about any more. So far, I've only thoroughly tidied my socks and underwear, but even there, knowing that everything in the drawer works and fits is genuinely gratifying. It's amazing how much energy we (well, some of us) expend dealing with clothing-baggage, and how freeing it feels to discard even a little.

So much this. I have about a third to a quarter of the clothes I used to have but also have zero "don't have anything to wear" syndrome. Basically, I like everything that's in my closet so in the morning I just reach for a shirt and a pair of trousers, scarf, necklace, and I'm done. Zero thinking about what to wear and zero anxiety. Plus, I've basically stopped shopping for clothes because I like everything I have. So liberating.
Journal here, much easier for me to find it as it doesn't get updated often  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/mostly-on-budget/

Blog coming soon(-ish) eventually perhaps

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #3028 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:31 PM »
Awesome work everyone! Spending the holidays in my family's cluttered homes has reinforced how important serene spaces are to me now. I find it draining to look at cluttered surfaces, trip over piles of stuff stashed around and walk along paths where the trees and bushes attack you (yes, even cluttered gardens here). I've talked to everyone about what I'm doing and the benefits but they're not especially interested.  Will keep my room neat as a pin to have a sanctuary to escape to. Will be even more motivated to do more decluttering when I get home.  Keep up the good work everyone. Ks

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #3029 on: December 21, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »

I hoard these even though I travel for business at least once a month. This weekend I dropped them off at my local church good bank for their clients. It's nice to think someone who really needs them will now have access to them.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #3030 on: December 22, 2015, 01:49:44 AM »

So much this. I have about a third to a quarter of the clothes I used to have but also have zero "don't have anything to wear" syndrome. Basically, I like everything that's in my closet so in the morning I just reach for a shirt and a pair of trousers, scarf, necklace, and I'm done. Zero thinking about what to wear and zero anxiety. Plus, I've basically stopped shopping for clothes because I like everything I have. So liberating.

This! I decluttered my clothes ruthlessly a few years ago and while I have less, everything goes with everything and it's so much easier than it used to be. And there's no "but it's nice, really, so I really should wear it" but not actually wanting to wear it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3031 on: December 22, 2015, 03:37:52 AM »
I like everything that's in my closet so in the morning I just reach for a shirt and a pair of trousers, scarf, necklace, and I'm done. Zero thinking about what to wear and zero anxiety.

Exactly the same with me.:)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3032 on: December 22, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I like everything that's in my closet so in the morning I just reach for a shirt and a pair of trousers, scarf, necklace, and I'm done. Zero thinking about what to wear and zero anxiety.

Exactly the same with me.:)

I'm still not there yet- in terms of loving all my clothes. I hav been there at certain points when I was younger.. Think miniskirts and stilettos of which there are many ha-ha! Anyway, I DO NOT dress that way anymore, I like comfort , cute, and style wrapped in one. And I'm VERY picky! And I do do not buy clothing(anymore-) . I am lucky to be recieve ample  castoffs from my lovely coworkers, some clothing of which I love. . , except of course I purchase  shoes and undergarments. . maybe I should ?? Idk, any thoughts?
Oh, and yes I hav greatly pared down my wardrobe already, think approx a dozen tops, half a dozen each pant and skirt. Mixing and matching, and using different shoes, handbag, makeup, and jewelry add quite a bit of variation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:46:27 AM by riverffashion »

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #3033 on: December 22, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
I consigned several of DH's beautiful wool sport jackets--herringbone/BrooksBros/ navy; he still has some he will keep, but as we are retired, he just doesn't need many.  I felt a little sad about it; he did not.  There may be a few more we can part with...

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #3034 on: December 22, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »
I came across this Wait But Why post recently (it's a great post), and I was struck by how accurate it was. I'd previously printed out the Life in Weeks chart and tracked my life so far, but I hadn't thought about the time that I have left.

Not counting Wait But Why research, I read about five books a year, so even though it feels like Iíll read an endless number of books in the future, I actually have to choose only 300 of all the books out there to read and accept that Iíll sign off for eternity without knowing what goes on in all the rest.

I read about 10 books a year, which gives me about 600 books for the rest of my life, although FIRE will boost that number greatly. It definitely puts things into perspective when you have a concrete number. I used to finish reading every single book that I'd started even if I lost interest or didn't like it; I really hated leaving things unfinished (sunk cost fallacy). But as I got older, I realized the time spent slogging through a terrible book could have been better spent doing something else instead. Similarly, I find myself being more and more willing to let go of things (donating old clothes, useless trinkets that were presents from family and friends, etc) as I learn what's important to me.

And on that note, I reorganized the ebooks on my Kindle. It had gotten to the point where I had >30 unread books, and when I turned on my Kindle, I'll get analysis paralysis trying to decide which one I should read first. Now I'm down to 10 books, ordered in a to-read priority list, hopefully I'll get through a few of them during all the holiday traveling.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #3035 on: December 25, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
I need to get back into this. I don't know if it's the holidays (so much more kid stuff everywhere!), the fact that my 1yo's favorite way to "play" is to throw toys around the room, or what, but everything feels so cluttered lately. My clothes are still nice & neat, but there's a ton more areas I need to attack. Mr Tofu is off all weekend, I believe (a very rare occurrence!), so may be tomorrow and Sunday we can start a proper KonMari-ing.
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3036 on: December 27, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »
Got home yesterday afternoon after a few days away for Christmas.

I took an hour to go through a few drawers and the bathroom, and tossed 37 things. I don't go back to work for a week, so if I do that every day I will start the new year in a good place.

My husband is finishing up with his company in a few days and has four boxes of business cards here at home. I suppose it would be cheating to count those individually... :)

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3037 on: December 27, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »
Worked on my kitchen today and got rid of extra stuff and cleaned out my pantry and reorganized so I can easily find everything.   A few days ago I filled my car and went to thrift store. I like to have some extra space so if I buy something I don't have to worry abut where to put it.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3038 on: December 27, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
Husband went through all of his clothing today - prompted by a sock gift (thanks mom!). Four bags to goodwill and one to the landfill. A gift card replenished socks and undershirts, so now he's much lighter in the clothing department.  Big win as he had a LOT of clothes, mostly because any culling would be all at once and he never got around to it. I facilitated as best I could and didnt try to sway one way or another. Very proud of him and happy with the state of our closet :-)

Three bags went to goodwill yesterday after my annual post Christmas freakout - we tend to exist on the high end of my admittedly low "stuff" tolerance, so even the minimal gifts put me on edge.

We rearranged a room to make a crafting corner, as some of the gifts - needed - meant that items needed a home.

It's only two days after and all holiday errands and after holiday errands are complete.

Happy holidays :-)
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3039 on: December 27, 2015, 06:18:09 PM »
I came across this Wait But Why post recently (it's a great post), and I was struck by how accurate it was. I'd previously printed out the Life in Weeks chart and tracked my life so far, but I hadn't thought about the time that I have left.

Not counting Wait But Why research, I read about five books a year, so even though it feels like Iíll read an endless number of books in the future, I actually have to choose only 300 of all the books out there to read and accept that Iíll sign off for eternity without knowing what goes on in all the rest.

I read about 10 books a year, which gives me about 600 books for the rest of my life, although FIRE will boost that number greatly. It definitely puts things into perspective when you have a concrete number. I used to finish reading every single book that I'd started even if I lost interest or didn't like it; I really hated leaving things unfinished (sunk cost fallacy). But as I got older, I realized the time spent slogging through a terrible book could have been better spent doing something else instead. Similarly, I find myself being more and more willing to let go of things (donating old clothes, useless trinkets that were presents from family and friends, etc) as I learn what's important to me.

And on that note, I reorganized the ebooks on my Kindle. It had gotten to the point where I had >30 unread books, and when I turned on my Kindle, I'll get analysis paralysis trying to decide which one I should read first. Now I'm down to 10 books, ordered in a to-read priority list, hopefully I'll get through a few of them during all the holiday traveling.
I have smashed through 4 novels on this vacation already!!! (Less than 10 days in)... And it's been an active vacation with lots of hiking, driving etc, and only an overnight flight (I will typically read over half a novel on a four hour flight) so I never feel bad about leaving something unfinished (as it's pretty rare, when you read this quickly you don't tend to loos interest). You have made the right choice not to waste time on books you don't like, although I really hope you can read more than 600 books in your life time, because there are so many great ones :-)

brooklynmoney

• Bristles
« Reply #3040 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:59 PM »
So I have been gifting friends like mad nice things I just have never really used -- a set of champagne glasses, a leather briefcase, a cute makeup bag, a purse and I even brought a big bag of tea to my friend's Xmas tea today. I am mostly upfront that the gifts are hand me downs. No one cares.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #3041 on: December 28, 2015, 12:06:26 AM »
I askef for no presents this year from our extended family given our decluttering efforts this year - and I suddenly find myself being treated as a decluttering guru on my holidays. My mum has decluttered a few bad corners before I arrived and was keen to show off her work. My sisters in law have cleaned out sheds in my presence and my very messy Mil has done an amazing job on her house. Still lots to do but I've promised to help. Everyone, the word is getting out!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3042 on: December 28, 2015, 02:40:00 AM »
Now the house is decluttered of Christmas things I have been going around and throwing away random stuff. I can't even remember what all the things were, some chives I didn't like, some outof date cream etc...

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3043 on: December 28, 2015, 03:32:07 AM »
This evening I watched some minimalist youtube videos and am inspired to get rid of more stuff! I already have some unwanted Christmas items in the donate pile and just posted several other items for sale. I know I'm ready to part with more stuff than that, but need the approval from Mr. Meowstache before anything else gets the boot.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #3044 on: December 28, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »
Hi Meowstache, I was in a similar position,  needing hubby's approval before getting rid of lots of shared stuff. I just filled some big boxes and then asked  him to review them for anything he thought needed to stay. He found 2 things out of about 300 so I was happy with that!

Feminine Mustique

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3045 on: December 28, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Hi there~ jumping in here!

I've struggled with keeping stuff since I was a kid. Committing to slowly, steadily, going through our house from top to bottom in 2016. I actually sometimes do Clutterers Anonymous phone meetings for the support and focus.

I've spent some time the past few days going through crap in the basement. Got rid of a lot... still have a lot to go. I took a big box to the Salvation Army and several boxes of recycling to a recycling drop off. Secretly purged some of the kids toys... stuff they won't miss. Also purged some old files from houses we no longer own. It's amazing how much stuff piles up. Feels great to be getting rid of stuff.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3046 on: December 28, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
Am super proud of myself for getting rid of a huge bag of fabric scraps that I was never going to use to make anything.
It is HARD to let craft supplies go, because I often go digging for just the right thing for a project. But this would never be the right thing!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3047 on: December 28, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »
Finally got rid of a nice chunk of my stuff at my parents' house today.
Lots more to do though...

... and did some more these holidays! Felt good, I'm inspired to do more in my own house!

Nice read on clutter btw (Found via The Minimalists fb)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:27:21 PM by DagobertDuck »

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3048 on: December 28, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
I spent all day in my office and the linen closet so filled my car once again. It feels good to open a closet and have everything be neat and not falling out.  Congrats to everyone for doing such a great job!

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3049 on: December 28, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
So I showed the minimalist youtube video to Mr. Meowstache and we talked about how calm and lovely the home tour was. That inspired us to go through lots of our joint stuff and a bit of our individual stuff. I am SHOCKED! My living room is full of piles and piles of stuff and I feel so disgusted that we ever had that in the first place. And this is AFTER We did a massive purge last year.

I have some things that I could sell, but it is so overwhelming I'm donating most items. Madness!