Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 737946 times)

acorn

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2950 on: December 08, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.

I do the same thing around my office.  I've been here almost the longest in my group so I know what's need and what's not.  My boss is a notorious packrat ( you would all faint if i posted a pic of his office) and wants to keep everything so the key is to toss stuff in small batches.  He never notices.  Most of it is stuff that can easily be found online.

^+1 My colleague and I have been at my current workplace almost the longest (only one other senior guy has been here a year longer but he's a hoarder). We've seen many people come and go, leaving behind things that we've never really bothered to deal with. However, we're both leaving next year, and we've decided to spring clean and declutter whenever we find spare time. Because at this point, we're the only ones who even know what half the stuff is and whether we can get rid of them. And it would be nice to leave things in some semblance of order when we leave.

MandyM

• Bristles
« Reply #2951 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.

I do the same thing around my office.  I've been here almost the longest in my group so I know what's need and what's not.  My boss is a notorious packrat ( you would all faint if i posted a pic of his office) and wants to keep everything so the key is to toss stuff in small batches.  He never notices.  Most of it is stuff that can easily be found online.

As with you, I have been here the longest, so I know what is important and what is not. My boss HAS noticed and has voiced a bit of concern, but doesn't get in my way either. I've made a ton of progress just doing bits here and there. I started with the easy parts that I knew were 90% garbage. The next phase will be a bit more involved, but that is ok.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

Tick-Tock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2952 on: December 08, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
Got out our Christmas boxes and managed to nearly fI'll a whole box with decorations that we don't need. Will get them to Goodwill quickly so they have a hope of selling them before the holiday.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2953 on: December 08, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »
At the guitar store they explained that given they have to do inventory at New Year (along with the legally required 18 day hold for resell), they're not taking anymore used stuff in right now. Suggested I Craigslist my bass and amp as plenty of people will be looking for Christmas gifts.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2954 on: December 08, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
I was waiting for the bath to run earlier and I had a quick run through of the chest of drawers. A free 2016 diary was thrown into recycling along with some other clutter, recent vet bills etc...

Is it weird that I'm looking at my tree and decorations and looking forward to the part when I pack the decorations away and have an end of the year declutter, lol. :D

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2955 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
Broken hockey sticks make great tomato stakes.  Very strong.  Just saying.  ;-)

Threw out some semi broken hockey sticks.  Not sure what I was thinking about when I didn't toss them as soon they could no longer be safely used.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2956 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »
Hubby and I spent another 2 hours in the attic decluttering. When you are sitting amongst the mouse poo it is really clear that anything cherished should not be up here. Off season stuff sure, but precious momentoes, hell no. As I realise this it raises the bar for what momentoes I keep. It's easy to keep a bunch of my childhood teddies in a dark corner of the attic but do I want them on my bed or have I moved on? I think I need to thank them and get rid of them as my kids aren't interested in them. I felt disappointed in myself as I put many unfinished project materials in the donate pile. I really need to think carefully before taking on new hobbies, especially those that involve stuff. Have been through cheesemaking, quilting, knitting, sewing, preserving, weightlifting, painting, pottery, wine collecting and picture framing stuff in one evening. No one could accuse me of being dull:) But I don't want to have to do this again, ever.

Jannie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2957 on: December 09, 2015, 03:33:32 AM »
Sonya what a great list of hobbies you have tried!  I wonder what you will take up next now that you have made room by delcuttering those ones :) 

Bye bye teddies.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2958 on: December 10, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »
That's what my hubby wonders too! But I am trying to evolve into a more thoughtful person regarding consumerism and have realised that my need to novelty can be satisfied in ways that don't involve buying stuff, like going to the theatre, botanic gardens (to get my fix of lovely gardens without having to do the work myself,  the art gallery where I can view millions if dollars worth of art and not have to have third rate pieces hanging on my wall.  It's a whole new workd when I start thinking about it. Right, time to get back into that attic!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2959 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:19 AM »
Okay this is kind of hilarious (to me). Fiancé and I are going to be moving in together (we lived together a couple years ago, long story) to a smallish apartment (500 or 550sq. ft?). For me, this space would be excessive mind you, because as I've stated I can fit all my possessions in my car exception the bed. Fiancés vice is clothing .. and shoes.. and hats. He's going to have to figure that one out.
A side note: our finances are separate and he has no problem paying his half of the bills. Simply is reality it will be a problem to solve for him to find the space.
Meanwhile, I continue to declutter and shrink my possessions even more :) .

MWOverlander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2960 on: December 10, 2015, 02:18:29 AM »
We are having all new flooring put down in the house starting today.  Yesterday my wife and I went through and boxed everything up (electronics, personal items, small items) and moved them to the garage.  We also cleaned out the kitchen (fridge/freezer, pantry, shelves and drawers).  We ended up donating a small SUV full of kitchen items in good working condition that we don't use.  We now have an Instapot and a Vitamix which pretty much takes care of anything in the kitchen that we'd need. 

It felt good getting rid of sooooooo much stuff.  Now that we have a nearly empty house, we are going to take the boxing party route and only replace items that are currently boxed as needed and donate the rest.

Any recommendations for donation places?  We currently use Goodwill due to it being close, but would rather take to somewhere that would better benefit people in need?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2961 on: December 10, 2015, 03:37:56 AM »
Not really decluttering, but in the same vein, I was at our local Christmas markets last night, and was really tempted to buy a decorative reindeer for the hearth. I forced myself to think about where I was going to put it for the other 11 months of the year, and what a burden it would be, and I left it behind.

I'm really running out of things I feel I can get rid of... But I don't feel as though I am happy with the stuff / space balance as it stands. I need to get more ruthless.

Frankies Girl

• Handlebar Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
« Reply #2962 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
Have a pile of junk in my living room after a quick declutter of my craft room:

garbage bag of dresses/work clothes I can no longer wear (way too big!!)
x-mas gift tags/bows (we don't wrap presents any more)
talking x-mas wreath and mini singing x-mas tree novelty toys (was going to use them for a project, but decided I'm not interested any more)
x-mas garland, various junky decor (too much stored as is)
stuffed animals
Halloween decor gifted to us (nice thought, but we have way too much that I have to go through as it is)
old photography equipment (not valuable - film developing tank and lenses for enlarger)

I frequently have no idea what I'm talking about. Like now.

FIREd as of: March 6th, 2015!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Ducky sitting on her egg with her Drake
« Reply #2963 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »
I decluttered 300 emails and 5 regular sources of emails. Down to less than 500 in my normal inbox! Note for my other 3 email addresses (professional, blog and work).

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2964 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
At the guitar store they explained that given they have to do inventory at New Year (along with the legally required 18 day hold for resell), they're not taking anymore used stuff in right now. Suggested I Craigslist my bass and amp as plenty of people will be looking for Christmas gifts.
I hit "share" on FB on a photo of me playing it, saying if anyone wants "the works" to get started with bass, here's a bass, an amp, cord, strap, tuner, and case. Posted a price, and within a couple hours, one of my husband's high school friends called dibs.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2965 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
I hit "share" on FB on a photo of me playing it, saying if anyone wants "the works" to get started with bass, here's a bass, an amp, cord, strap, tuner, and case. Posted a price, and within a couple hours, one of my husband's high school friends called dibs.

Very nice.  I STILL have a couple things to sell . I need to give myself a deadline or I'll never even try .

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2966 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
Did a big sort of my photos. So many of people and places whose names I have now forgotten. Got a big box down to shoe box size. Will eventually scan them and get rid of physical copies but this was a good first step. Am hesitating getting rid of my academic records,  perhaps I need to scan first?  But is anyone really going to care that I got an A in geography when I was 15 (now 38)? Going through the personal and sentimental has not been as hard as I thought but I'm not the most sentimental person around.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2967 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:50 PM »
Well done on the photos!

I'd keep proof of where you went to high school (for example, if you've got a general certificate that says you graduated) and I would definitely keep any college/university transcripts and proof of graduation. You never know if you'll apply for a job that requests to see those (I've had to do that once I think). And I say this as someone who's gotten rid of mosr of her personal belongings.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:57:33 PM by Astatine »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2968 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Did a big sort of my photos. So many of people and places whose names I have now forgotten. Got a big box down to shoe box size. Will eventually scan them and get rid of physical copies but this was a good first step. Am hesitating getting rid of my academic records,  perhaps I need to scan first?  But is anyone really going to care that I got an A in geography when I was 15 (now 38)? Going through the personal and sentimental has not been as hard as I thought but I'm not the most sentimental person around.

Haha, no.  No one cares.  I've recently had to supply my college transcripts when applying for a job opportunity, and like Astatine says, keeping your high school diploma isn't a bad idea, but there's no need to keep any actual school work or individual report cards.

I really need to get on the family photos thing.  Has anyone hired out scanning for that sort of thing?  I can't see doing it with my home all-in-one since the quality isn't very for the amount of work it would take.  I do have a fancier scanner coming back to live with me at work, so maybe I can come in on a day off over Christmas and get it done, but OTOH, I'm kind of inclined to have someone else do it for me.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2969 on: December 12, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »

Haha, no.  No one cares.  I've recently had to supply my college transcripts when applying for a job opportunity, and like Astatine says, keeping your high school diploma isn't a bad idea, but there's no need to keep any actual school work or individual report cards.

I really need to get on the family photos thing.  Has anyone hired out scanning for that sort of thing?  I can't see doing it with my home all-in-one since the quality isn't very for the amount of work it would take.  I do have a fancier scanner coming back to live with me at work, so maybe I can come in on a day off over Christmas and get it done, but OTOH, I'm kind of inclined to have someone else do it for me.

I'm sure someone will love to get paid to scan! A tedious cakewalk

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2970 on: December 12, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
Will definitely keep academic transcipt that summaries my degrees and the degree itself. I think it will be a good discipline to make me scan my own stuff. Do I want to do a shit load of irrelevant documents/photos that will clutter up my storage drives -nope. The effort of having to do it myself will make me more discerning,  I reckon.

misshathaway

• Stubble
« Reply #2971 on: December 13, 2015, 02:06:52 AM »
I just converted everything to scans this year. It is a bear to sort through and shred from a full file cabinet. And some things like deeds have to stay paper.  But once you get past the initial scanning you just have to do a few as they come in to the house.

It is great to be able to look up any document right from the computer. Combine it with encrypted cloud backup and you are also fireproof.
Passed ER first year anniversary - settling in

YogiKitti

• Bristles
« Reply #2972 on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:32 AM »

I'm really running out of things I feel I can get rid of... But I don't feel as though I am happy with the stuff / space balance as it stands. I need to get more ruthless.

I've been having trouble with this too. Though, I'm. It sure what it is that isn't de cluttered enough. I went through my closet again and got rid of a grocery bag full. I guess going through everything again with a stricter eye.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2973 on: December 13, 2015, 04:47:12 AM »
I have been getting rid of random things over the past few days.

I am going through the big cupboard again today and making a collection of things that can be taken to the dump. I have a broken chair and a light fitting that both need to go.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2974 on: December 13, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
Two carloads donated and one carload to the dump over the weekend.  Attic is now half empty rather than bursting full. I love that there is space to move around and access the remaining things. It cost me $8.50 to get rid of 100kg of rubbish.  That's not enough in my opinion.  I was horrified to watch others throw perfectly good looking stuff into the transfer station pit rather than drop into the donation centre first. I had carefully considered everything of mine and only non usable and non recyclable was thrown away - but I was the only one there yesterday who did. Made me feel sad. And determined to be more thoughtful in my purchases so I don't have to go throwing away again. Ks

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2975 on: December 13, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
Been downsizing. The biggest recently ditched: "IKEA Hagalund" sofabed in the spare bedroom.

Bought: September 2011. Used maybe "twice" by out of town guests.

Took up most of the second bedroom in my 700-square foot apartment.

(the desk and 90% of the other stuff is long gone)

I'll borrow an air mattress if any guests want to stay over. (otherwise: couch)

I've ditched half a dozen or so backpacks, sling bags, shoulder bags etc and so far replaced them with... one sling bag. (with MOLLE attachments for accessories) Working great so far.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:13:53 PM by cjottawa »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2976 on: December 13, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Been downsizing. The biggest recently ditched: "IKEA Hagalund" sofabed in the spare bedroom.

Bought: September 2011. Used maybe "twice" by out of town guests.

Took up most of the second bedroom in my 700-square foot apartment.

(the desk and 90% of the other stuff is long gone)

I'll borrow an air mattress if any guests want to stay over. (otherwise: couch)

I've ditched half a dozen or so backpacks, sling bags, shoulder bags etc and so far replaced them with... one sling bag. (with MOLLE attachments for accessories) Working great so far.

Is that piece of furniture as massive as it looks!?

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2977 on: December 13, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Is that piece of furniture as massive as it looks!?

*laughs* The room is quite small. ;)

Couch dimensions are 59-inches wide, 33 7/8-inches deep. When the bed section was slide out, it went right to the opposite wall. (the gate-leg desk had to be folded down and rotated against the perpendicular wall)

I have let guests use the master bedroom and just slept on the couch or an air-mattress.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:48:12 AM by cjottawa »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2978 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Nice work getting rid of that big thing. We have given up guest beds in our home too. We get our parents a couple of times a year but we let them have our beds and use our camping rolls on the floor. Feels generous and makes me appreciate my bed all the more when I have it back. And to think, I nearly bought a murphy bed at great expense a few years back. Every piece of furniture in our homes needs to earn it's place because less is definitely more!

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #2979 on: December 13, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
Planning a cross country move in 6 months so trying to de clutter and sell stuff before we list the house.

Earmarked 8 boxes or so of outgrown kids clothes. If we have another baby I'll buy new used stuff for it. Can't justify moving so much stuff. Need to work on my closets and things that I haven't used in ages like my roller blades. Those things are so hard I find. The memorabilia clothes. I'm never going to wear them again so time to let go. Just actually have to do it.

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2980 on: December 13, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
I had som books in storage besides my garage. I organised them and brought in those I want to keep (children books and professional books I might need for my thesis). I will sell one box of books to the second hand book store and I will toss maybe 20 books. Books are hard to get rid of but I am getting better at it.

MrDelane

• Stubble
« Reply #2981 on: December 13, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
Seeing as this thread is 60 pages long I know I'm not the first to mention this approach, but thought I would add my experience anyhow.

After years of the roller coaster that is the accumulation of 'stuff' and the subsequent decluttering sprints, my wife and I decided to try a new approach.  We've made decluttering a part of our everyday lives.

We keep a box in the house that is destined for goodwill (or craigslist/ebay, etc).  We each put one thing in the box every day.  At the end of the week (or every other week) the box gets taken to goodwill.  At first, it seemed pointless and was incredibly easy.  For the first few weeks I could easily grab things that were out in the open.

We've now been doing this for a little over 6 months and I have to say the results are astounding, and it has become a bit more difficult to find things to put in the box (we are now digging deep into closet shelves and storage areas daily).  Our kitchen feels much more spacious, our closets are much cleaner, the house in general is becoming a space where we want to live.

But, the one thing that neither of us anticipated is how it has changed our perspective.  We now think MUCH more about what we bring into the house in the first place.  If one of us is considering buying something, one of us will eventually say "how long before it winds up in the box?"  It has really forced us to change our thinking and to look at things in a long term perspective.

It was never really the intention to change our perspective like that, but by creating a daily habit out of decluttering it has made it something that is always in the back of our mind - and by sticking with it we've seen the very real results that you can get from small daily efforts.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:44:33 PM by MrDelane »

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2982 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
This is still my favourite thread on the forum :)

But, the one thing that neither of us anticipated is how it has changed our perspective.  We now think MUCH more about what we bring into the house in the first place.  If one of us is considering buying something, one of us will eventually say "how long before it winds up in the box?"  It has really forced us to change our thinking and to look at things in a long term perspective.

Well done! I've always done some decluttering but after I did a major purge of stuff a couple of years ago, it changed my perspective in a similar way. If I get something, then I will almost certainly have to get rid of it. So now I don't even want free giveaway stuff (unless it's a consumable that we use).

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2983 on: December 14, 2015, 12:45:19 AM »
I'm feeling a change in perspective too! It's great to hear others stories. This is the first year I have asked for no presents and I mean it. Just like I have decided to stop using my body as a garbage bin for rubbish food, my home is no longer a storage unit for the past.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2984 on: December 14, 2015, 02:30:28 AM »
I wrapped all our Christmas presents this weekend. I stuck with one roll of wrapping paper so that I could finish it, and I did! I still have another roll which is part used. Once that is used up (next year? How ridiculous storing it for YEARS) I will buy simple gold / red / silver paper which can be used year round. No more girls birthday paper, boys birthday paper, and two coordinating Christmas prints.

I also found myself not wanting to give gifts in a nice Christmas gift bag I got from someone else, because then I won't be able to use it another year. Huh, what? Use it! Get it out of the house. If I'm distraught next year that I won't have a pretty bag to use for the gifts, I can buy one. But I certainly won't keep this one to use, because if I'm refusing to use it now, when will I decide the time is right?

I have a tape dispenser on a piece of elastic that distributes one pre-cut length of tape at a time. It's really good, I like using it. But, I only use it once a year (it doesn't seem worth getting it out for a single gift, and this is the only time of year I wrap a bunch), so, when it ran out of tape, instead of adding one more specialised thing to my shopping list, I stuck it in the donate box and used my standard tape dispenser instead.

I tried to use up all my Christmas bows, and resolved not to replace them. I have plenty of real ribbon I save if I want to decorate gifts. If I don't care enough to tie that properly then I don't care enough about nicely decorated gifts to waste the worlds resources on shiny stick on bows (not criticising those who use them, it's just I don't care enough to put real effort into it, so it seems silly to bother at all).

Even though all my Christmas stuff (gift bags, labels, bows, ribbons) was all corralled in one larger gift bag, having that small corner free now feels great. Whatever doesn't get used on the last few gifts I will donate.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2985 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

We keep a box in the house that is destined for goodwill (or craigslist/ebay, etc).  We each put one thing in the box every day...

I love this idea! I'm going to start that tonight. (though I'm pretty minimalist already so I'm not sure how much stuff is going to hit the box)

...We now think MUCH more about what we bring into the house in the first place.  If one of us is considering buying something, one of us will eventually say "how long before it winds up in the box?"  It has really forced us to change our thinking and to look at things in a long term perspective...

Most definitely this. That was a big mindset shift for me.

"Every Thing You Own is a Relationship You’re In"

Tangentially related: a pedorthist I know says a lot of "off the shelf" aftermarket insoles (Dr. Scholl's etc) amounted to "expensive experiments" - you buy them, find out they don't work for you, and you've got a $20 piece of junk laying around.

A lot finite-non-zero-number of "things" like that still come into my life.

My shift in mindset: I ditch those things FAST instead of holding on to them.

I see a lot of people hang on to those "expensive experiments." (my parents' junk drawer and garage being filled with good examples)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:33:35 PM by cjottawa »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2986 on: December 14, 2015, 02:04:33 PM »
I wrapped all our Christmas presents this weekend. I stuck with one roll of wrapping paper so that I could finish it, and I did! I still have another roll which is part used. Once that is used up (next year? How ridiculous storing it for YEARS) I will buy simple gold / red / silver paper which can be used year round. No more girls birthday paper, boys birthday paper, and two coordinating Christmas prints.

I also found myself not wanting to give gifts in a nice Christmas gift bag I got from someone else, because then I won't be able to use it another year. Huh, what? Use it! Get it out of the house. If I'm distraught next year that I won't have a pretty bag to use for the gifts, I can buy one. But I certainly won't keep this one to use, because if I'm refusing to use it now, when will I decide the time is right?

I have a tape dispenser on a piece of elastic that distributes one pre-cut length of tape at a time. It's really good, I like using it. But, I only use it once a year (it doesn't seem worth getting it out for a single gift, and this is the only time of year I wrap a bunch), so, when it ran out of tape, instead of adding one more specialised thing to my shopping list, I stuck it in the donate box and used my standard tape dispenser instead.

I tried to use up all my Christmas bows, and resolved not to replace them. I have plenty of real ribbon I save if I want to decorate gifts. If I don't care enough to tie that properly then I don't care enough about nicely decorated gifts to waste the worlds resources on shiny stick on bows (not criticising those who use them, it's just I don't care enough to put real effort into it, so it seems silly to bother at all).

Even though all my Christmas stuff (gift bags, labels, bows, ribbons) was all corralled in one larger gift bag, having that small corner free now feels great. Whatever doesn't get used on the last few gifts I will donate.

I have not bought ANY gift wrapping supplies for 5 years. I reuse tissue paper & gift bags. And cut cards I receive into gift tag size . also receive cards on occasion and use these, or make a card.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2987 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

We keep a box in the house that is destined for goodwill (or craigslist/ebay, etc).  We each put one thing in the box every day...

I love this idea! I'm going to start that tonight. (though I'm pretty minimalist already so I'm not sure how much stuff is going to hit the box)

...We now think MUCH more about what we bring into the house in the first place.  If one of us is considering buying something, one of us will eventually say "how long before it winds up in the box?"  It has really forced us to change our thinking and to look at things in a long term perspective...

Tangentially related: a pedorthist I know says a lot of "off the shelf" aftermarket insoles (Dr. Scholl's etc) amounted to "expensive experiments" - you buy them, find out they don't work for you, and you've got a $20 piece of junk laying around.

I see a lot of people hang on to those "expensive experiments." (my parents' junk drawer and garage being good examples)
Your post really made me think. I am an experimenter. I love trying new things from condiments to hobbies to clothes styles. And I do move on but often the stuff stays.  Knowing my tendency for short term infatuation I am trying to get over purchasing lots of stuff to support the latest thing and borrowing kr using other people's stuff (like at a night course). My home and attic are still full of things that I once loved but have moved on from and they need to go. I love that Raptitude article. I have read.it before but it really spoke to me this time. I have things that I don't love but keep because I need them.  I was planning to just live with that but now see value in getting rid of those and replacing them with examples I do love (in a gradual and fiscally responsible way of course! ).

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2988 on: December 14, 2015, 02:55:18 PM »

I see a lot of people hang on to those "expensive experiments." (my parents' junk drawer and garage being good examples)
Your post really made me think. I am an experimenter. I love trying new things from condiments to hobbies to clothes styles. And I do move on but often the stuff stays.  Knowing my tendency for short term infatuation I am trying to get over purchasing lots of stuff to support the latest thing and borrowing kr using other people's stuff (like at a night course). My home and attic are still full of things that I once loved but have moved on from and they need to go. I love that Raptitude article. I have read.it before but it really spoke to me this time. I have things that I don't love but keep because I need them.  I was planning to just live with that but now see value in getting rid of those and replacing them with examples I do love (in a gradual and fiscally responsible way of course! ).

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #2989 on: December 14, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
Got through the top shelf of my closet and threw out a bunch of magazines, listed a few things to sale. Two laundry baskets full of stuff. I have so much more to go.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #2990 on: December 17, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
This thread inspired me to to clean out my office. Today is my last work day in 2015 and I cleaned out 15 books that are 26 years old and I will never read them (I inherited them from a coworker).
Americans fighting through student loans in Germany - http://aufhellerundpfennig.com

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2991 on: December 17, 2015, 02:49:01 AM »
Got rid of loads more craft supplies. I've realised I love trying new things, and once I've mastered them to an acceptable (to me) degree, I'm ready to move on to new things. This isn't a failing, it just is. I'm going to focus on the fact it makes me a renaissance woman, rather than flaky. I can let go of the old supplies knowing someone else will enjoy them.

Tackling these last few 'hard to let go of' items seems to be making a huge impact on how my house feels. It's similar to the first few months of the year when I saw a marked difference day to day. These items were things that I couldn't let go of, but always seemed out of place where I kept them (probably because I knew I wasn't going to use them again, so I was keeping tucked in corners in inaccessible places).

I'm slightly behind target on getting rid of 2015 in 2015, but confident that with a big push at the end of the year I can do it. I still can barely remember a single thing I've donated.

Also, I have four huge bags for charity in my car, but finding a time to drop them off when the charity shops are open and I don't have to go out of my way is proving harder than clearing out junk! May try to batch a few errands and get it done today.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2992 on: December 17, 2015, 07:26:05 AM »
Got rid of loads more craft supplies. I've realised I love trying new things, and once I've mastered them to an acceptable (to me) degree, I'm ready to move on to new things. This isn't a failing, it just is. I'm going to focus on the fact it makes me a renaissance woman, rather than flaky. I can let go of the old supplies knowing someone else will enjoy them.

Tackling these last few 'hard to let go of' items seems to be making a huge impact on how my house feels. It's similar to the first few months of the year when I saw a marked difference day to day. These items were things that I couldn't let go of, but always seemed out of place where I kept them (probably because I knew I wasn't going to use them again, so I was keeping tucked in corners in inaccessible places).

I'm slightly behind target on getting rid of 2015 in 2015, but confident that with a big push at the end of the year I can do it. I still can barely remember a single thing I've donated.

Also, I have four huge bags for charity in my car, but finding a time to drop them off when the charity shops are open and I don't have to go out of my way is proving harder than clearing out junk! May try to batch a few errands and get it done today.

GREAT perspective!

I've learned that about myself: I become a "subject matter expert" at something (be it fly fishing, or paintball, or silk screening), invest a lot of time and money into it, then move on. I consider it the cost of learning. Years later, if I decide to participate in that activity, I have the knowledge and wisdom to know what NOT to buy: my kit can be tiny.

Fly fishing, for example: I ditched my large rig(s) years ago and now own Tenkara gear that fits in a single tube, and simple sling pack, taking up next to no room. I even got a folding net that slides into a pocket of the bag. Before I "got good" at it, I'd have had no idea what was necessary and what wasn't.

Quote from: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:29:06 AM by cjottawa »

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2993 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:46 AM »
Dropped off a few items at the consignment store and picked up a check for $109 for items sold previously.  I have a few items to list on Craigslist.  I need to tackle paperwork and the filing cabinet next.  Making progress but I need to get better about not filling the voids created by getting rid of things and not bringing new stuff home.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2994 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
Moving progress:
I tend to write everyday , and hav for many years. Ripped up (dont have a shredder) and recycled HUNDREDS of pages. Win .
Big incentive to write on my laptop. Ha! My laptop is barely functioning however, something to think about..

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2995 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
Great thread!  Got rid of probably 60% of my clothes earlier this year using Mari Kondo's method.  I still have plenty of clothes and now they are all items I love and use.  My new challenge in that area is not inviting too many maternity clothes into my house now that I am pregnant.  So far, no maternity purchases!

My next goal is to declutter our kitchen- I love to cook and have acquired way too many gadgets over the years.  I would guess we only use 50% of our kitchen items on any regular basis. 

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2996 on: December 17, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »
I got rid of about 70% of my books (donated to our local library). It felt nice.

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2997 on: December 17, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »
After breaking down some numbers in my journal, I reached out to a few people on Craigslist who restore and resell stuff. I'm going to be heading over to my storage unit (BAM!! Face Punch) that I haven't even been into in 6 months to see what they will take. I don't even care about the money honestly. If I get nothing for it, I'm still saving over $2000/year just by not keeping the damn storage unit.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2998 on: December 18, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
Last night I reached my goal of decluttering 2 things per day for 2015! I was struggling a bit at the end, but discovered a drawer full of trinkets and crap that I hadn't gone through yet which put me well over the top. I still need to work on paperwork decluttering and photos, but that may be next year's project. :)

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2999 on: December 18, 2015, 12:19:18 PM »
Last night I reached my goal of decluttering 2 things per day for 2015! I was struggling a bit at the end, but discovered a drawer full of trinkets and crap that I hadn't gone through yet which put me well over the top. I still need to work on paperwork decluttering and photos, but that may be next year's project. :)

Nice! Slow and steady :)

My wife scanned or shredded 90% of our paper files the other weekend- took her probably 4 hours.  The few things we need to keep in paper format (like the deed to our house) fit in a small box.  (Photos we haven't touched yet.)