Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 774850 times)

MountainGal

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2900 on: November 25, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
Lately: 

Tossed a few items from the master bathroom cupboard.

Gave a bottle of hair product back to my hairdresser.  I bought it from her several years ago and used it twice.  $17 down the drain.  :(

Last Saturday spent 4 hours here at the office filing and shredding.  What a grounded feeling to get those tasks complete.  Took several empty boxes to the recycle bin.

Bit the bullet and cut up my favorite, old, holey t-shirt to use for cleaning rags.

It will be interesting to see what I accomplish over the 4 day American holiday weekend.  :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2901 on: November 25, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
Finally sold a saddle on eBay.  I'd had it listed a couple times, sold once, but it fell through due to a listing error on my part.  I was about to donate the damn' thing just to get it out of my sight.  Still have about a dozen things listed on eBay.  I need to find a charitable horse-related organization to donate some of the other stuff to, since it's useful, but not worth enough to deal with the eBay hassle.

I've been reading the Kondo book and it helped me with paperwork today.  I ended up with a big stack that I'm currently feeding into the fire.  I also went through my photo albums, pruned out a bunch of duplicates and stuff I didn't care about so I could consolidate down to two albums.  Found about a dozen books to get rid of.  I also decided to finally get rid of the very nice vintage fondue pot my mom got me ~15 years ago that I've used precisely once.  It always gets tarnished so it isn't so great to display, either.  To my surprise, I opened it up and packed inside were salt and pepper shakers and sake cups I'd completely forgotten about.  My guess is that I packed them that way when we moved to this house.  Which was almost six years ago.  Also threw out about a dozen keys that didn't fit anything; I think most were to our old house, which we sold last year.  I'm off work the next four days and it's going to be cold/rainy/snowy, so I ought to make some great progress.  Friday I am going to get through the file cabinet come hell or high water, and get our 2015 tax documents pulled into one place so we're ready when our W-2's come in this year.  I also want to break down my aquarium and get it and my espresso machine listed on Craigslist this weekend.  Still adding to the donations pile in the garage and shaking my head at the crap I bought back when I earned less than half my current salary. 

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2902 on: November 25, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »
My 3 month report back on Konmaring my house - yes, it has pretty much stuck.  I was thinking about going through my stuff again to declutter, but I don't have much I can think of.  I also have done well for 3 months of implementing bedtime routines and morning routines to keep the house looking good.  I've slacked some the last month because I had bronchitis and no energy, but I am back!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2903 on: November 26, 2015, 03:25:56 AM »
I am so much more motivated to clean my house since tidying up, anyone else found this? I am also weirdly houseproud - last week I bought some flowers (only 2 but still, I wouldn't usually) and I loved seeing them everyday, and yesterday I replaced them with a houseplant display thing.

I used to think flowers were just an annoyance, having to water, change the water, deciding when to throw them away, then actually discard which fills up the kitchen bin.

I'm also still folding everything. I had a week off from folding my knickers and decided I do prefer them folded!

One thing I have changed against Kondo's advice is that I have put away my summer clothes. Where I live there is no chance of wearing them, and my wardrobe is so much easier to navigate now. Yes, I could reduce all clothing further, but really, when I'm not going to wear them until May, they are just clutter that makes my life harder.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2904 on: November 26, 2015, 04:35:41 AM »

Gave a bottle of hair product back to my hairdresser.  I bought it from her several years ago and used it twice.  $17 down the drain.  :(

I would have used it for something else like shaving my legs or using it as laundry detergent.:)

My 3 month report back on Konmaring my house - yes, it has pretty much stuck.  I was thinking about going through my stuff again to declutter, but I don't have much I can think of.  I also have done well for 3 months of implementing bedtime routines and morning routines to keep the house looking good.  I've slacked some the last month because I had bronchitis and no energy, but I am back!

It's weird as I think I have gone through everything and then I look through a cupboard and think why am I keeping this random item?:P

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #2905 on: November 26, 2015, 11:33:56 AM »
3 huge trash bags full of clothes I no longer wear, some practically new. I donated them two days ago. Probably 60 pounds and several cubic feet of encumbrance gone. Best of all some people who need them will have some clothes to wear.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2906 on: November 26, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
Great work everyone.  And Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the USA. My last KonMari effort 6 months ago was tentative and I kept lots 'just in case', but after not touching it in the attic  in all that time it can go now. Likewise a huge stacks of books and several boxes of kitchenware. I'm giving a capsule wardrobe a try for the upcoming summer months. I've chosen about 30 items and have bagged the rest to stay in the attic.  Need to negotiate with hubby on photos and knickknacks. He'd happily have lots, I want none so we need to find a middle ground somewhere.  I have decided that plants growing in pots are too high maintenance given that I have plenty of room in garden beds so will be sorting that during rhe Christmas holidays. I have also made a list of things that I would like to upgrade - things that I need and use but where my current object falls short. I figure if I have minimal possessions I should eventually allow myself to have good quality versions.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2907 on: November 27, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
I am planning to take another swoop through my house this weekend to find some things I can donate to the refugees that will be arriving in my city soon. So far I have a brand new set of measuring cups that I bought once because they were nice and colourful, but obviously didn't need because I have never even taken them out of the packaging. Also some random dishes and plastic containers and a brand new quilt that was an impulse buy. Makes me feel good to think that stuff that I have laying around my house not being used can be used by people that will arrive with absolutely nothing.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2908 on: November 27, 2015, 07:03:37 AM »
I am planning to take another swoop through my house this weekend to find some things I can donate to the refugees that will be arriving in my city soon.

Very nice.:)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2909 on: November 27, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
I had been resisting donating my hair dryer for years, but have finally worked up the courage to donate it!  We have a houseguest in the spare room/attic who should be leaving soon and I plan on giving it a thorough look over.  Its been the "place things go to die" storage area, so I want to get everything we actually use on the main floor.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2910 on: November 27, 2015, 02:52:18 PM »
Cannot believe how much I was able to cut down on crap in our filing cabinets!  It now easily fits into less than half a drawer, and we have a big 4-drawer legal cabinet, so that left space to store some of our other stuff out of sight.  The office is starting to look much less cluttered. 

A big chunk of it was various warranties and instruction manuals, many for items we don't even own anymore.  The rest are available online, so no need to keep a paper copy.  Tax stuff is organized by year for the first time ever, so now I can just grab and chuck the whole file once we no longer need it for records purposes.

The last fish is gone from the aquarium and I'm getting ready to drain the tank and get the whole thing posted to Craigslist.  This one will be nice because it's decluttering a chore/maintenance item from my life permanently.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2911 on: November 30, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
I am planning to take another swoop through my house this weekend to find some things I can donate to the refugees that will be arriving in my city soon. So far I have a brand new set of measuring cups that I bought once because they were nice and colourful, but obviously didn't need because I have never even taken them out of the packaging. Also some random dishes and plastic containers and a brand new quilt that was an impulse buy. Makes me feel good to think that stuff that I have laying around my house not being used can be used by people that will arrive with absolutely nothing.

This was also a great reason for me to go through my front closet again and get rid of a few more winter jackets that I love but never wear! :)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2912 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
Organized my sock drawer :) 
Got rid of a few pairs with holes, and a few that the calf was too tight.   Everything now fits nicely, and is arranged in dividers by size.

That makes me happy.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2913 on: November 30, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »
I've been doing well on my decluttering mission but suffered a self-induced setback recently.  Namely, I've given in to frugal fatigue and did some shopping, primarily for clothes.  A friend also gave me a few sweaters when we were organizing her closet.  So now I feel like I have too much stuff again :-( 

I need to refocus and do some more purging this week.  I don't want to go into the holidays and the new year feeling overwhelmed by my stuff.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2914 on: November 30, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
When I did my socks recently, I finally tossed all the singletons whose mate had been lost, including one of a pair of navy blue socks that I rather liked. So what does my husband find in his sock drawer yesterday? The other navy blue sock. Grr.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2915 on: November 30, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
When I did my socks recently, I finally tossed all the singletons whose mate had been lost, including one of a pair of navy blue socks that I rather liked. So what does my husband find in his sock drawer yesterday? The other navy blue sock. Grr.

It socks to be you ;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2916 on: November 30, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »

It socks to be you ;)

Ya I did the same thing recently with a pair of fuzzy house socks. Bummer.

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2917 on: December 01, 2015, 01:47:52 AM »
Please can y'all stop enabling my single sock habit?
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Fbeyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2918 on: December 01, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »
You know happens when all your socks are black? No more singletons. As soon as you can't find or fix whatever is missing/broken. Toss the one you can't fix and you can pair it with the one left over from last time you tossed something out.

Problem solved.

Capsule wardrobes are excellent.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2919 on: December 01, 2015, 04:10:54 AM »
You know happens when all your socks are black? No more singletons. As soon as you can't find or fix whatever is missing/broken. Toss the one you can't fix and you can pair it with the one left over from last time you tossed something out.

Problem solved.

Yes, but this precludes Hello Kitty socks. So far, the primary advantage I have discovered to having tenure is that I get to wear Hello Kitty socks to work anytime I want.

However, all of my husband's socks match exactly. Not only does this solve the problem with singletons, but it means there's no need to fold his socks, ever.  Fortunately, he's not particularly fond of Hello Kitty.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2920 on: December 01, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »

Problem solved.

My husband's socks are all either white or black. But they don't match.
The white socks are all Hanes, and all say the same thing on the package, but when you buy them 5+ years apart, Hanes changes things.  So the ones that have black capital letters on the toes are a little longer than the black lowercase letter ones.  And now the new ones have red letters and more cushioning on the sole.  He can't stand to wear them together, so I STILL have to match socks; and they look nearly identical, which makes it much harder than matching mine, which are all handknit, and therefore crazy colors.

The ones with black capital letters are all about 10 years old now, so I might just throw them out. Most are really ratty and the elastic is pulling out. He's lost a lot to holes over the years (hence the two other styles)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2921 on: December 01, 2015, 07:00:59 AM »
iowajes I find matching 'similar' socks much harder as well.

I bought 20 packs or whatever of identical socks, same day, same shop etc. They all aged differently! I know this sounds crazy, but it's true. So you end up with them feeling very different to wear, and therefore you want a pair in the same state of worn-ness (especially the elastic at the top. One tight, one loose is unbearable to me, but both of either is fine).

My friend bought me a pack of crazy coloured socks one birthday, and it made matching socks so much easier! Counter-intuitive, but that's my experience.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2922 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:55 AM »
I've had the opposite experience with socks aging. I bought a big pack of socks quite a few years ago. For some reason I bought a new pack a year or two ago that mostly matched but felt different, so for a while I had to separate them. Then after wearing the new ones for a while they started feeling like the old ones and now I just throw them all in a pile. In fact I think DH had the exact same thing happen, at least he doesn't complain that I don't separate his socks and since he usually picks them out in the dark I don't think he cares

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2923 on: December 01, 2015, 07:54:33 AM »
iowajes I find matching 'similar' socks much harder as well.

I bought 20 packs or whatever of identical socks, same day, same shop etc. They all aged differently! I know this sounds crazy, but it's true. So you end up with them feeling very different to wear, and therefore you want a pair in the same state of worn-ness (especially the elastic at the top. One tight, one loose is unbearable to me, but both of either is fine).

My friend bought me a pack of crazy coloured socks one birthday, and it made matching socks so much easier! Counter-intuitive, but that's my experience.
There is (or was?) a sock store in Pittsburgh that sold sets of 3 color-coordinating patterned socks.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2924 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »

Problem solved.

That's great if you like to wear the same-looking socks all the time. I enjoy socks in different colors, some dark, some plain, some bright, some patterned. I also have socks in different weights--thin for hot days, thicker for cold days--because they keep my feet comfortable. Managing my socks isn't a problem for me, so I'm not interested in simplifying this one aspect of my wardrobe.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2925 on: December 01, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »

I would have used it for something else like shaving my legs or using it as laundry detergent.:)

Ah.  It wasn't that kind of product.  More like a sticky type spray to help texture while styling.  My hairdresser did end up trading me for a similar priced item.  :D

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2926 on: December 01, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

Problem solved.

Yes, but this precludes Hello Kitty socks. So far, the primary advantage I have discovered to having tenure is that I get to wear Hello Kitty socks to work anytime I want.

However, all of my husband's socks match exactly. Not only does this solve the problem with singletons, but it means there's no need to fold his socks, ever.  Fortunately, he's not particularly fond of Hello Kitty.

I love this.  :D

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2927 on: December 01, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »

Problem solved.

When I run out of socks , I will do this, but can't justify buying more when I still have around 20 pairs of socks in good condition. Might add that I mostly wear boots so it doesn't actually matter if they match, so I actually didn't need to toss it. Live and learn . ha

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2928 on: December 02, 2015, 03:43:49 AM »
Oops, I bought a few extra Christmas decorations so I had to free up some space.:D Two of my lamps broke at almost the same time this week so that helped!

I have collected up another bag of clothes for charity and included all the skirts that I will not fit into in the near future.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2929 on: December 05, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »
Well, I am moving onca again. The easy part is I have less than a carload of stuff to put in my accord. . - minus the bed . pretty good.
However.
Of course I have taken it upon myself to capitalize on this golden opportunity to declutter. :). So far: a couple dozen clothing items out (I am VERY picky and almost never find anything I like, so it is very easy to donate). Half of my sewing/ art supplies stash ( left with a medium sized bag ). A couple makeup bags. A pair of shoes. Several books.some jewelry supplies, rocks, shells. I don't remember what else.
I also recyclabled a large bag of paperwork, etc.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2930 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
Half a truck load of stuff to the thrift store today, and then another half truck load to Habitat ReStore.  Three items sold on eBay.  Ahhh... the house is starting to feel quite zen and I've gotten rid of some materials for projects I was never going to get around to, so now I don't feel like they're hanging over my head.  I think I'm getting close to the right amount of stuff.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2931 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
Gave a small bag of bric a brac to a local op shop on Friday (a few books, some kitchen stuff). However, they were drowning in clothes so they refused my t-shirt, scarf and shoes. I find it a bit depressing that my city is so drowning in fast fashion that the recycling shed at the rubbish tip just gives away clothes for free and some op shops have too much to cope with. So I took my clothes to one of the bigger op shops yesterday and luckily was able to donate there.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #2932 on: December 05, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »
Threw out some semi broken hockey sticks.  Not sure what I was thinking about when I didn't toss them as soon they could no longer be safely used.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2933 on: December 05, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
Two more bags of books, three shirts/sweaters, a belt, and a pillow. We have 7 pillows for two people--only three of which we use. DH wants to keep them "for when we have visitors." We can sleep four people (including us) comfortably. So why do we need 7 pillows? I dunno. I'm continuing to pick my battles, and I've asked him to do a once-over on his books when we get back from Christmas.

I also asked for a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas, so our current one (working but not heavy-duty enough for Fido) one will go to donation. I also threw away some old coupons DH was keeping around that were cluttering up the counter.

Finally, I condensed two boxes in our storage unit so I could recycle one (cardboard; the other is a nice storage box). Our storage unit is about half full: a box fan we use in the summer, so basic tools, paint, and caulk for move-in, move-out, and the like. It's a standard condo storage locker in the basement. I may move our other upright fan down there for the winter, since we won't use it again until June.

The people with the locker next to us filled the whole thing, top to bottom, and have some old furniture or something outside their locker (which happens to be at the front of the unit in EVERYONE'S way). I consistently have to move a tent or something (that is theirs) from out in front of our locker door when I go to it. It's super-irritating when I go down there, but 1) I'm rarely down there, so I just need to let it go--there are bigger things to worry about--and 2) I'm a renter in a condo building. This is not my battle to fight.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2934 on: December 06, 2015, 01:56:51 AM »
Bagged up a bunch of unfinished craft projects from the attic for donation.  Am making peace with being a starter not a completer. Included a half made baby quilt for my nephew who just turned 9. Was ruthless culling my cookbooks as I'm living paleo these days and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful? Anyone have thoughts? I just want to be free of all this stuff but he's worried I'm going to pass through the minimalist phase and need to go shopping to buy back the stuff we just got rid of. I disagree as I feel this process has fundamentally changed my relationship with stuff and shopping.  Any conflicts like this in your home?

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2935 on: December 06, 2015, 05:08:29 AM »
Bagged up a bunch of unfinished craft projects from the attic for donation.  Am making peace with being a starter not a completer. Included a half made baby quilt for my nephew who just turned 9. Was ruthless culling my cookbooks as I'm living paleo these days and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful? Anyone have thoughts? I just want to be free of all this stuff but he's worried I'm going to pass through the minimalist phase and need to go shopping to buy back the stuff we just got rid of. I disagree as I feel this process has fundamentally changed my relationship with stuff and shopping.  Any conflicts like this in your home?

Sounds like he wants baked goods. :-)

I would not get rid of cookbooks, but then I don't have specific baking ones, either. I have one, the Fannie Farmer, and it's a classic that covers almost everything I need in terms of plain cooking. ( I also have a TVP cookbook from a thrift store because the FF is far too old to cover that.) I definitely don't think (general) cookbooks are the sort of thing that go out of style. Specific baking cookbooks, though? I can't really advise.

In the more general sense, could your husband be concerned about the money it will cost to replace items later?

I do wonder about the idea of throwing out all the baking cookbooks and planning to buy a new one someday. Is something wrong with the ones you have? Why would you plan to buy more when you have perfectly good ones?  Couldn't you just keep the single best one now? That would definitely save money.

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2936 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:31 AM »
and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful?

If any of the family favourites are in those cookbooks, it would be a good thing to scan them somewhere, or put them into a binder.  While you'll be able to find "a recipe" for cranberry scones, it may not be the right recipe for what you're trying to recapture (or it might not include the notes of things you've changed).  I have some cookbooks I have been able to throw away with impunity, and a couple that I really wish I had thought to write down a few recipes first.  (My thought at the time was that I made the item so often, and the ratio was so easy, of course I'd remember it - this turned out not to be the case - I just remember the justifications.)
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #2937 on: December 06, 2015, 06:08:08 AM »
and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful?

If any of the family favourites are in those cookbooks, it would be a good thing to scan them somewhere, or put them into a binder.  While you'll be able to find "a recipe" for cranberry scones, it may not be the right recipe for what you're trying to recapture (or it might not include the notes of things you've changed).  I have some cookbooks I have been able to throw away with impunity, and a couple that I really wish I had thought to write down a few recipes first.  (My thought at the time was that I made the item so often, and the ratio was so easy, of course I'd remember it - this turned out not to be the case - I just remember the justifications.)
We actually just put together a pile of cookbooks to pass on as well. We are first going to scan all the recipes from the that we actually use. I'm never going to make certain recipes, I just have no interest in the flavour/texture/whatever of that dish, no matter how otherwise good the book is. I've kept two baking books, and the rest will go,because I never use them. Recipes do go in and out of style, so if you've picked what you need and saved it somewhere the rest isn't likely to be used and can happily find a new home :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2938 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
I have two eyeshadow palettes but I threw one away as I don't like it very much.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2939 on: December 06, 2015, 11:05:44 AM »

I've gotten rid of a bunch of cookbooks too.  There are literally millions of recipes available on the internet often with better photos, instructions and helpful reviews, so even if you do want to bake again, I doubt you'll miss your old books.  The only one I refer to frequently is my canning book to make sure I'm doing that safely.  Then I have a few others that I leaf through for inspiration now and then, but I haven't missed any that I've gotten rid of.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2940 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
Thanks everyone,  I will check through and make sure I have the family favorite recipes saved. I agree that relying on your memory isn't always the best. I will definitely keep the comprehensive and multipurpose books but some like a special cafes fancy recipe book that was given to me and has 50 ingredients in each recipe - those will be going!

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2941 on: December 06, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Next Saturday, I'm flying back from NH to my house in AZ. I haven't lived there since May.

There will be so many things to declutter!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2942 on: December 07, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Today I'm selling my bass and amp to the guitar shop down the street. I bought it used 10+ years ago (and since I worked at the guitar store, got it at cost), but I haven't played in ~8 years, so time to go.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2943 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:29 PM »
Last weekend, I decluttered some more cookbooks, clothes, makeup, kitchen gadgets, toys, etc. Got a little bit in each area. Long way to go still but I also need to stop bringing things in.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2944 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I had pressed pause on decluttering, but with Christmas looming, people coming and going, stuff coming and going, etc, I would love a few days to turn out all the cupboards again.

Until I do have time, I have a list in my email of everything I want to get rid of.

And, while storage solutions are not the same as decluttering, we do have a gaslift bed coming which will buy me some breathing room to store things we only use seasonally, e.g. Christmas decorations, down jackets, etc.

$40Kby40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2945 on: December 08, 2015, 03:22:25 AM »
I did some decluttering yesterday, mostly clothes and some other random stuff. I like  #s so the total things donated/trashed was 50 total. I really don't have that much to get rid of, but am thinking about doing this every Mon just to keep on top of things.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2946 on: December 08, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #2947 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.

I do the same thing around my office.  I've been here almost the longest in my group so I know what's need and what's not.  My boss is a notorious packrat ( you would all faint if i posted a pic of his office) and wants to keep everything so the key is to toss stuff in small batches.  He never notices.  Most of it is stuff that can easily be found online.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:50:47 AM by Debts_of_Despair »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2948 on: December 08, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
Ooh, I don't know why but I had never considered decluttering workplaces and the like. I am part of a parent run early childhood education co-operative. We have a whole basement of broken toys, guess someone was going to fix them some day... Will volunteer to clean that area over the holidays! I'm still going on the decluttering at home. I have undecideds that once I review a few times I realise are a no. Hubby was scared I was throwing out too much so he reviewed five big boxes for donation with me. He wanted to keep just 2 things. He feels better that I'm not throwing important things away and I feel better that I'm not sneaking stuff out behind his back  Win win!

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2949 on: December 08, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
Hubby was scared I was throwing out too much so he reviewed five big boxes for donation with me. He wanted to keep just 2 things. He feels better that I'm not throwing important things away and I feel better that I'm not sneaking stuff out behind his back  Win win!
I did the same thing with DH when we were preparing to downsize. I put everything I wanted to get rid of that wasn't truly just mine into an empty room and had him look through it. There were only a handful of things he kept from there. It was good for him to see that I wasn't getting rid of things he would want and it was good for me to see what he did want to keep that I hadn't realized.