Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 773061 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2850 on: November 11, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

I'm keen to do a declutter though.

Alternatively there's stuff that'd take a long time to find a buyer (hifi kit).

Any tips? Thanks :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?
No. That's why I haven't done it. I'm not sure on all the recycling places that'll take the stuff either.

Especially if it's items that are only a couple of dollars new and aren't really what you'd donate (like TV/phone cables and packets of envelopes and the like), or outdated tech accessories (I've got about four or five external hard drives).

All the Goodwill stores in my area accept just about anything- including outdated tech stuff/appliances, chords, envelopes.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2851 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

no need to trash it. Goodwill, Craigslist, Freecycle... etc Rinse and repeat

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2852 on: November 12, 2015, 03:59:17 AM »
Thanks for all the help on the clothing front everyone. I love the idea of seperating 'it will do for now' clothes mentally. I actually wish I had the space for a separate rail where I could hang the stuff I love and slowly add to it until I didn't need the other one.

I've had great luck with ebay as well. Beautiful, expensive, well made items that cost a fraction of retail - many of them have never even been worn. That's my go-to source for now, but even at 10 - 15 an item to get a fully functioning work wardrobe will be a decent investment.

And thanks for the advice on working out WHY I like certain items. I will select my favourites and consider which silhouettes, fabrics, colours etc I prefer.

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2853 on: November 12, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »
I'm back! I had to take a break from decluttering during the gardening season (I look forward to the RE day when I have time for more than one hobby).

My bathroom, clothes, papers, kitchen appliances, sewing/knitting stash, and books remained decluttered nicely. Woohoo, Kondo!

Now, I have to tackle my gardening and biking supplies.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2854 on: November 12, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »

no need to trash it. Goodwill, Craigslist, Freecycle... etc Rinse and repeat
I joined a No Buy Group in my area.  I've gotten rid of things.  But I've also received a few things that I would have spent money to purchase.  Win. Win. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2855 on: November 12, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Random stuff thrown away, a tiny bit of chilli sauce as I couldn't remember when I opened it. I have an old set of curtains but I might use them as a sofa covering so I got them out to decide, if not they can go to recycling. A decorative box put into recycling, I was keeping it for my two bracelets but I thought that was just silly.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2856 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »

If Craigslist is fairly active in your area, put the functional stuff on the Free section. In my area, anything on Free gets hoovered up, unless it's something like an old mattress full of cat pee.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #2857 on: November 12, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »

If Craigslist is fairly active in your area, put the functional stuff on the Free section. In my area, anything on Free gets hoovered up, unless it's something like an old mattress full of cat pee.

+1. Free things get snapped up quickly. Sometimes I leave it out at the curb, or if it's small enough, I bring it to work and leave it at a common area. They're usually gone within the day.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2858 on: November 12, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »

Lol. Yup

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2859 on: November 13, 2015, 03:28:49 AM »
I've had two buyers on ebay fail to pay recently. Annoying! One item I boxed and packed as soon as it was sold, so though I'm tempted to just donate it, I would have to unwrap it first, and it was glass so it's really well packed. I have relisted. The other I have done a second chance offer.

This never used to happen to me on ebay, but I've had it three times this year, and I've been selling less than before. Interesting trend that I hope does not continue.

I got of more jewellery I don't really wear, and a dress which I hate, yet wear quite a lot (why? It's comfy, I guess). Still pondering my work wardrobe. I think I am falling behind on 2015 in 2015, but I went through my books again and only found 1 to get rid of. Yet there still feels like there is too much stuff in my house. I'm going to have to be more ruthless.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #2860 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:47 AM »
Your help and encouragement needed!  Through a roundabout way, I came across someone local who buys music records and albums, and even offered to buy my record player if I have one (which I do).  From my youth and being a DJ for a short while, I have over 200 albums, over 50 45s, and 200 cassette tapes.  The problem?  I don't seem to be ready to sell them.  They are organized in the hall closet, and I play the records once a year or so.  The cassettes never.  What would you do?

MountainGal,   Parent of 2 teenagers here...  Record players and vintage vinyl are hot with teens (and nostalgic parents of teens).   Cassettes are worth maybe a dollar for rare stuff but not much else... Your likely sitting on over $1500-$2500 in vinyl alone if you have the good DJ quality stuff (dance tunes, 80s rock, etc).  But the market will cool quickly as this batch of kids moves on.    Save your Tippy Top Ten records (for you) and then carry the lot to a college town used record store  on a weekday morning (before they get busy at lunch) and see what happens.   

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2861 on: November 13, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »
I am bringing in another batch of stuff to the consignment store today.  I realized that I started to get rid of stuff in my closet about a year ago and managed to reduce the clothing by about half!  I still have some items that could go.  It's a big closet :-)

I'm slowly getting used to wearing my favorites more often.  I have this irrational fear of wearing out my favorite items and not being able to find something I like to replace them.  This causes me to "save" the things I like and wear things I don't really care for.  By the time I get back to the favorites, they either don't fit any more or are out of style.  Where is the logic in this??? 

So I'm trying to focus on wearing my favorites instead, and wearing them more often.  Today, I have on a pair of shoes I adore and a cashmere cardigan that I like a lot.  I wore them last Friday as well.  When I was getting dressed this morning, I had anxious thoughts floating in my head of what I'm going to do when these things wear out and what will people at work think seeing me in the same stuff two Fridays in a row ;-)

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2862 on: November 13, 2015, 09:20:18 AM »
TheAdvicist - I'm in the same boat as you with clothes. And for me at least it's not as easy as going out and buying new (or thrift store) ones that I love because I'm so picky I can go shopping and not find one thing I love.
One thing I'm going to look into doing is creating a "uniform" where I find polo's or something similarly generic and buy a bunch in different colors. While I still won't love my work clothes at least I won't dread wearing the ones I'm keeping just so I'm not going to work nude
I had some good coupons for Kohl's so on Veteran's Day I went and got four polo's basically for free. I had to buy men's since there weren't any women's polo's but in a way it boosted my self esteem. In women's I would have needed at least a large because of my shoulders/arms but in men's I bought smalls and their a tad bigger than I'd prefer.
I put three old work shirts that I dreaded wearing in the donate box this morning plus a tank I only ever wore with one of them and will probably add another top once I look again this weekend (those were the three no-brainers)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2863 on: November 13, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
I went through an old box of photos, negatives (yes, that old), and various travel related memories from 2005 in the form of ticket stubs, maps, etc. and through out most of them. I saved a few photos to scan and a couple ticket stubs for my scrapbook. I can throw out the negatives right? In my entire life I've never ever used one, but I feel this irrational sense that I'm supposed to keep the negatives just in case! Absurd, I'm no professional photographer!

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #2864 on: November 13, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
I'm slowly getting used to wearing my favorites more often.  I have this irrational fear of wearing out my favorite items and not being able to find something I like to replace them.  This causes me to "save" the things I like and wear things I don't really care for.  By the time I get back to the favorites, they either don't fit any more or are out of style.  Where is the logic in this??? 

I had this problem before when I was saving my favorites in pristine condition because I didn't want them to get damaged. Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

But it was great to open my wardrobe and know that I'm wearing my favorites everyday.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2865 on: November 13, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
[...] Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

But it was great to open my wardrobe and know that I'm wearing my favorites everyday.

First, I just stumbled across your recipe thread thing you did. That was awesome. Secondly, how the hell do you wear out real leather? I've tried. Never worked.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2866 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
[...] Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

First, I just stumbled across your recipe thread thing you did. That was awesome. Secondly, how the hell do you wear out real leather? I've tried. Never worked.

It takes a long while, but it happens naturally with use.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2867 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:17 AM »
I am bringing in another batch of stuff to the consignment store today.  I realized that I started to get rid of stuff in my closet about a year ago and managed to reduce the clothing by about half!  I still have some items that could go.  It's a big closet :-)

So I'm trying to focus on wearing my favorites instead, and wearing them more often.  Today, I have on a pair of shoes I adore and a cashmere cardigan that I like a lot.  I wore them last Friday as well.  When I was getting dressed this morning, I had anxious thoughts floating in my head of what I'm going to do when these things wear out and what will people at work think seeing me in the same stuff two Fridays in a row ;-)

I've had to fight this as well over the years (thanks, childhood brainwashing from parents). But, who knows, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Or what is your favourite today may no longer be your favourite next year, or your tastes change, or you change size or shape. Wear what you love now. Trust that you will find future favourite things later if needed. The only day that matters is today.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2868 on: November 14, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »
Went thru two huge kitchen cabinets with my roommate- she was able to release things like graters, strainers, Tupperware missing tops or bottoms, party supplies like disposable plates and cutlery. Two bags donated, two recycled.
Also tidied my closet, bookshelf, sewing and art supplies, and memento scraps. (It was all rather minimal to begin with, e.g. had been already reduced to ~30 books now is ~25).
I've really become aware that the problem is "new" (read: castoffs -of which I am offered many and regularly!) stuff , I  must be more discerning. Also, sometimes I don't take the minute to put my things away, and fr there it continues. Insideous.
So, a few flight stubs out, a hospital pillow, some art supplies, a couple blouses and PJ bottoms, etc., a few books, etc. All donated except stubs which were recycled.
Closet is organized again, jewelry making stuff, currency collection, books, fabrics and art/sewing supplies, makeup & toiletries .

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Ducky sitting on her egg with her Drake
« Reply #2869 on: November 14, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
Went through my kitchen and the "out" box if been meaning to go through with DH. Ditched random weird stuff that even the charity won't take. We have what I think are two retro pyrex casserole dishes. they've been turned into two lovely garden beds for my succulent propagation :)

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2870 on: November 15, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »
Went thru two huge kitchen cabinets with my roommate- she was able to release things like graters, strainers, Tupperware missing tops or bottoms, party supplies like disposable plates and cutlery. Two bags donated, two recycled.
Also tidied my closet, bookshelf, sewing and art supplies, and memento scraps. (It was all rather minimal to begin with, e.g. had been already reduced to ~30 books now is ~25).
I've really become aware that the problem is "new" (read: castoffs -of which I am offered many and regularly!) stuff , I  must be more discerning. Also, sometimes I don't take the minute to put my things away, and fr there it continues. Insideous.
So, a few flight stubs out, a hospital pillow, some art supplies, a couple blouses and PJ bottoms, etc., a few books, etc. All donated except stubs which were recycled.
Closet is organized again, jewelry making stuff, currency collection, books, fabrics and art/sewing supplies, makeup & toiletries .

I deal with the same thing, since my annual trip home usually means an annual closet purge for my very consumptive mother and sister. I get lots of hand-me-downs in excellent condition, but then I get home and think "Did I really need another floral t-shirt?"

One thing I learned this year from my foray into minimalism is that there are actually five "Rs" of being green--and the first one is "refuse"! (As in, I know this cheap-o plastic pen is free, but do I really need another cheap-o plastic pen?) This is not to say hand-me-downs and secondhand options aren't ever good--they absolutely are!--but to refuse means to think long and hard about whether or not the piece, free or not, belongs in our lives. It's a good way to approach decluttering too.

Do you have a one-in, one-out rule for places where you find clutter finding its way back into your life? I have found this incredibly helpful for clothing. (My mom, bless her heart, is currently on a one in, two out in order to rein in her closet.)

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2871 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
I also like that mantra to refuse first - has been slowly helping me to gain control.

Got rid of about 5 boxes of stuff recently. I have decided to eliminate some entire categories and that has really helped. We gave away an entire set of 18 books by the same author, and have not been tempted to buy the newest release by them. I used to have supplies for every craft known, but now I'm deciding on my favorite few and getting rid of the others in batches.

Items recently refused: about 75% of what was offered at a recent travel trade show (I did accept the reusable bag. Plus candy which only lasted me a few days) I am proud I did not bring home any new notebooks, pens, flyers, or memo pads.

Also refused a lot of functional, but not needed by me, stuff from my sister who was down-sizing for a move overseas.  I said no to all the cleaning supplies, games, clothes, art supplies I knew I wouldn't use.  I did take a box of alcohol, 2 items of clothing that have already seen use, and some blank canvases that have already been given to a friend holding a 'paint nite' this month.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2872 on: November 15, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »

I deal with the same thing, since my annual trip home usually means an annual closet purge for my very consumptive mother and sister. I get lots of hand-me-downs in excellent condition, but then I get home and think "Did I really need another floral t-shirt?"

One thing I learned this year from my foray into minimalism is that there are actually five "Rs" of being green--and the first one is "refuse"! (As in, I know this cheap-o plastic pen is free, but do I really need another cheap-o plastic pen?) This is not to say hand-me-downs and secondhand options aren't ever good--they absolutely are!--but to refuse means to think long and hard about whether or not the piece, free or not, belongs in our lives. It's a good way to approach decluttering too.

Do you have a one-in, one-out rule for places where you find clutter finding its way back into your life? I have found this incredibly helpful for clothing. (My mom, bless her heart, is currently on a one in, two out in order to rein in her closet.)

Not exactly a one in, one out rule. But I do go thru my closet every time I receive more castoffs I love from coworkers. I  do the Konmarie method and donate several. So it all evens out.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2873 on: November 15, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
I also like that mantra to refuse first - has been slowly helping me to gain control.

Got rid of about 5 boxes of stuff recently. I have decided to eliminate some entire categories and that has really helped. We gave away an entire set of 18 books by the same author, and have not been tempted to buy the newest release by them. I used to have supplies for every craft known, but now I'm deciding on my favorite few and getting rid of the others in batches.

Items recently refused: about 75% of what was offered at a recent travel trade show (I did accept the reusable bag. Plus candy which only lasted me a few days) I am proud I did not bring home any new notebooks, pens, flyers, or memo pads.

Also refused a lot of functional, but not needed by me, stuff from my sister who was down-sizing for a move overseas.  I said no to all the cleaning supplies, games, clothes, art supplies I knew I wouldn't use.  I did take a box of alcohol, 2 items of clothing that have already seen use, and some blank canvases that have already been given to a friend holding a 'paint nite' this month.

I strive for zero waste-. Refuse is also Bea Johnson's first line of offense against producing waste. I think more in terms of zero waste-, rather than decluttering, but I also am WAY into decluttering- like Marie Kondos I began with fascination as a small child .
I do not accept any freebies of things that are new - like samples (,shampoos, etc), or free gifts (like pens, paper,etc). I find pens, hairtyes, and Bobby pins all the time anyway so I never need to buy these items - & they have ALREADY been produced & I've picked up on floors etc like I do with money found.
In terms of used clothing I am offered, I sort thru and the ones i  love hav a pile, maybes(almost always no's) in another, and another for no's. Try everything on that left and must have great fit (not easy with many body types!) And very IMPORTANTLY - will I wear it? That's what gets me every time! So, must be realistic. :)

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2874 on: November 15, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
We attacked the junk drawer and filing cabinet last night. It's all tidy and organized and easy to find things in now!
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #2875 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
Just got Marie Condo's audiobook from the library, after waiting in line..

yesterday (before starting the book)  I managed to donate to a youth shelter 2 items that have value but weren't good for me

Lynski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2876 on: November 15, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
I hope you enjoy the Kondo book! It's been a big help to me in prioritizing what items I want to keep. I think that was a big shift in my thinking, not just what can I get rid of, but what to I actually want to keep.

I got rid of 4 boxes of stuff to the local thrift store yesterday. A big part of that was clothing. I'm embarrassed to say some items still had the tags on. I used to shop for clothes online, and it's so easy to get swayed by constant sales and coupons. "Oh, adding that shirt to my order is only $12 more and will qualify me for free shipping!" After cutting my clothing down to about half of what I used to own, I have a new rule that the only items that get added are ones that I have tried on in person, fit well and I'm in love with. I hate dealing with malls, so this has made me much more intentional with what I'm shopping for.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2877 on: November 15, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Cleaned AND organized the kitchen pen/stamp/scissor/stuff drawer. Thankfully it has never been a real junk drawer, but sometimes it won't close. Now it closes and everything has a place!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2878 on: November 15, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
I declutter the crap out of my kitchen today.  Got rid of lots of old spices and other ingredients we won't use.  The cabinets are so clean and spacious now.

Last week I tried the clothes rolling thing.  I don't like the process but it is nice being able to see everything in the drawer.  Got rid of enough stuff to fit my hamper in the closet so it doesn't have to be out in the room.  Huge box of stuff overflowing ready to go to the thrift store.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2879 on: November 15, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
I declutter the crap out of my kitchen today.  Got rid of lots of old spices and other ingredients we won't use.  The cabinets are so clean and spacious now.

Last week I tried the clothes rolling thing.  I don't like the process but it is nice being able to see everything in the drawer.  Got rid of enough stuff to fit my hamper in the closet so it doesn't have to be out in the room.  Huge box of stuff overflowing ready to go to the thrift store.

The folding has really grown on me. So great to be able to see everything, also fits in drawer so much better. Only things I still do not fold are undergarments, but I do segregate each type in the drawer.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2880 on: November 15, 2015, 10:05:36 PM »
I spent part of this week helping a girlfriend clear out her late mother's home. There were three different rooms that were so full of boxes and possessions that you couldn't enter them. I threw away multiple bags of junk mail, catalogs, return address stickers, freebie notepads, business cards and so forth. We didn't even tackle anything that wasn't pure trash, as apparently much of it can be sold in bulk at the estate sale.

Long story short, I don't want to die surrounded by piles of credit card statements from six years ago and clothing I haven't worn in 25 years and junk I don't even remember ordering.

As such, some recent declutter work:
* Packed a bag of weird geegaws for "art tray" at preschool
* Selected three cookbook/garden books to list on Amazon or otherwise release
* Packed a bag for Goodwill including Cuisinart blades, 3 insulated lunchboxes with off-putting logos, a checkbook cover, an extra grater and an extra bottle opener
* Packed up an ugly but ultrawarm blanket for the homeless guy who lives under our nearest freeway overpass
* Poured four expired medications into the worm bin and recycled the plastic containers
* Collected all remaining tampons (I've switched to a menstrual cup) and will drop off in the women's bathroom at the library next time I go
* Tossed out a jar of some unidentifiable, unlabeled spice.
* Recycled 10 or so empty glass jars that I was saving for no particular reason.
* Threw away three Very Special and Important Rocks we'd been saving.
* Tossed gelatin, pectin, coconut milk and condensed milk that has never been used and will presumably not be used in the foreseeable future.
* Composted some frozen food scraps I was saving for smoothies. Let's get through the superexpensive frozen wild blueberries before we start blending up leftover strawberry tops, mmmkay?

Working on:
* I have too many reusable bags. I think I need to release all those with logos (I have a set of 6 or 7 plain black hemp ones that more than suffice for all my grocery needs) but I haven't managed it yet. The ones from Whole Foods have shoulder straps and are organic cotton! Argh. I know better. I'm going to ask my mom if she wants to take them.
* I kept some blackstrap molasses that I think I've had for five years. Added a little to the overnight oatmeal I'm making. It has a lot of iron and nutrients so if I can choke it down in oatmeal I'll let it stay in the house until it's used up.

The struggle is real.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:21:08 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2881 on: November 15, 2015, 11:22:50 PM »
I spent part of this week helping a girlfriend clear out her late mother's home. There were three different rooms that were so full of boxes and possessions that you couldn't enter them. I threw away multiple bags of junk mail, catalogs, return address stickers, freebie notepads, business cards and so forth. We didn't even tackle anything that wasn't pure trash, as apparently much of it can be sold in bulk at the estate sale.

Long story short, I don't want to die surrounded by piles of credit card statements from six years ago and clothing I haven't worn in 25 years and junk I don't even remember ordering.

As such, some recent declutter work:
* Packed a bag of weird geegaws for "art tray" at preschool
* Selected three cookbook/garden books to list on Amazon or otherwise release
* Packed a bag for Goodwill including Cuisinart blades, 3 insulated lunchboxes with off-putting logos, a checkbook cover, an extra grater and an extra bottle opener
* Packed up an ugly but ultrawarm blanket for the homeless guy who lives under our nearest freeway overpass
* Poured four expired medications into the worm bin and recycled the plastic containers
* Collected all remaining tampons (I've switched to a menstrual cup) and will drop off in the women's bathroom at the library next time I go
* Tossed out a jar of some unidentifiable, unlabeled spice.
* Recycled 10 or so empty glass jars that I was saving for no particular reason.
* Threw away three Very Special and Important Rocks we'd been saving.
* Tossed gelatin, pectin, coconut milk and condensed milk that has never been used and will presumably not be used in the foreseeable future.
* Composted some frozen food scraps I was saving for smoothies. Let's get through the superexpensive frozen wild blueberries before we start blending up leftover strawberry tops, mmmkay?

Working on:
* I have too many reusable bags. I think I need to release all those with logos (I have a set of 6 or 7 plain black hemp ones that more than suffice for all my grocery needs) but I haven't managed it yet. The ones from Whole Foods have shoulder straps and are organic cotton! Argh. I know better. I'm going to ask my mom if she wants to take them.
* I kept some blackstrap molasses that I think I've had for five years. Added a little to the overnight oatmeal I'm making. It has a lot of iron and nutrients so if I can choke it down in oatmeal I'll let it stay in the house until it's used up.

The struggle is real.

A slight tangent perhaps, but iv'e also switched to a menstral cup. Greatly diminished waste  & is a big money saver- they supposedly last 10yrs. Excellent switch.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2882 on: November 16, 2015, 03:23:01 AM »
Jengod, I helped a friend with her father's house (borderline hoarder). I came home and threw out so much of my stuff in response. It's eye opening, isn't it.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2883 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
I have a bunch too, from when they first came out.  I find that I use my 2 nylon pocket shopping bags all the time (they are small enough to live in my purse) and the others only when I need extra bags.  I have been slowly getting rid of the bulky bags, they are useful for holding other give-aways (2fers).
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62658&cat=2,2260,47776&ap=1
http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-608/cactus-creek-pocket-shopping-bag-unisex/?f=10+50603

Working on:

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2884 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:16 AM »

I've had to fight this as well over the years (thanks, childhood brainwashing from parents). But, who knows, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Or what is your favourite today may no longer be your favourite next year, or your tastes change, or you change size or shape. Wear what you love now. Trust that you will find future favourite things later if needed. The only day that matters is today.

Thank you for this, Astatine, especially the bolded sentence.  I need to focus on that!

Miskalkulation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2885 on: November 16, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Wow, learning so many great ideas.  A couple of months ago, I took the plunge and started cleaning out closets.  I had been saving the kids jeans for years, hoping to do a rag quilt.  Finally, it is halfway done, trying to figure out how to finish it with the pockets in the squares, and incorporating some embroidery flowers into the bottom sash.  Giving it back to the youngest one for Christmas!! Thanks for all the ideas and motivation!

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2886 on: November 17, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Just got Marie Condo's audiobook from the library, after waiting in line..

yesterday (before starting the book)  I managed to donate to a youth shelter 2 items that have value but weren't good for me

Have been doing a Konmari-light of my household. I don't think I want (or need) true minimalism, but it's definitely shifted the way I think about possessions and helped me get rid of a lot of the physical clutter that was also causing emotional clutter.

Random example: Had been driving around with a purse/bag in my car for about a year - my sister gave it to me stuffed full of yarn she didn't want any more. I gave the yarn to a local craft/makerspace (it wasn't great yarn, but good for teaching), but I couldn't ditch the bag even though it wasn't my taste. This past week, a woman in my community was assembling small bags with toiletries and necessities that could be handed out to women at a local shelter, so I FINALLY had a good place to donate it. Also took two coats that I had been meaning to get rid of but didn't want to just chuck in the regular donation bag, for SOME SILLY REASON. Ok! On to the next thing. I couldn't just give those things away, so I'm glad I was able to gift them to something I felt was more meaningful.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2887 on: November 18, 2015, 12:54:04 AM »
Renewed enthusiasm for decluttering from me since I have changed mindset.  From 'this could come in handy one day' to 'I trust that I'll be able to acquire this (probably secondhand) when the need arises.' I have had such a scarcity mentality when there is no need to - I have a tip shop 5 mins away and have seen everything under the sun there,  and yet I have been buying stuff and storing it in my 80sqm house waiting for some day. The questions have I used it in 6 months and will I use it.in the next 6 tell me all I need ti know. Reckon I can chuck the contents of the attic out with the exception of a couple of bags  of kid things. I'll finish my cuppa then back to it!

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2888 on: November 18, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »
Focused space clearing lately:

A stack of egg cartons went to a friend who owns chickens.

Ping pong balls (purchased for a failed beer pong party several years ago) were sent to a friend who enjoys playing ping pong with his son.

A large bag of non-perishables are ready to be donated to the local Scouts holiday food drive.  A smaller bag of hotel shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc. went into the bag as well.

Have sent an email to a local Lions Club member to ask the location of used eyeglasses donation boxes.  Several pair are next to leave the house.  :)

Organized my back up stash of HBAs, including vitamins.  Will refrain from buying anything further until the stash is reduced a bit.

A huge stack of used pots, related containers, etc., (I washed them first) went to my flower shop owning friend for reuse.  Was going to give her several small glass candle holders from our wedding, but decided I am going to try my hand at a windowsill herb garden again.  :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2889 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:38 PM »
Freecycled a beautiful old oak dresser that wasn't pulling it's weight in my tiny house. Was a storage vessel but then I got rid of the contents! A lovely young woman moving in with her boyfriend collected it. The look of delight in her face to have secured something so lovely on her budget of zero made my day. Sure I could have sold it but then I wouldn't have the warm fuzzies. It's easy to forget in our abundance that there are others starting out who will really appreciate our lightly used hand me downs.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2890 on: November 18, 2015, 09:23:25 PM »
Freecycled a beautiful old oak dresser that wasn't pulling it's weight in my tiny house. Was a storage vessel but then I got rid of the contents! A lovely young woman moving in with her boyfriend collected it. The look of delight in her face to have secured something so lovely on her budget of zero made my day. Sure I could have sold it but then I wouldn't have the warm fuzzies. It's easy to forget in our abundance that there are others starting out who will really appreciate our lightly used hand me downs.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2891 on: November 20, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
I've had two buyers on ebay fail to pay recently. Annoying! One item I boxed and packed as soon as it was sold, so though I'm tempted to just donate it, I would have to unwrap it first, and it was glass so it's really well packed. I have relisted. The other I have done a second chance offer.

This never used to happen to me on ebay, but I've had it three times this year, and I've been selling less than before. Interesting trend that I hope does not continue.

I've noticed this unfortunate trend toward flakiness with eBay buyers for the past couple years. One thing you can do is go into your Seller Account and set buyer preferences to the strictest settings possible. In my case, I require buyers to have a PayPal account, and a minimum of negative feedback or unpaid items. Also, I block any past deadbeat buyers from bidding on future items. I do think it has helped.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:21:26 PM by Practical Magic »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Ducky sitting on her egg with her Drake
« Reply #2892 on: November 21, 2015, 02:33:52 AM »
My hubby and I spent today sorting lego from other tiny toy pieces, reviewing his sentimental items, and then consolidating his sentimental items to one box. Various other things were gone through at the same time, and now we have a whole extra room in our house!

Lots went in recycling, some went in the trash, and an overpriced shore rack/bench (was a whopping $140 when new :( ) is now on Gumtree!

The mounds of paper are next in line...

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #2893 on: November 21, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
I've noticed this unfortunate trend toward flakiness with eBay buyers for the past couple years. One thing you can do is go into your Seller Account and set buyer preferences to the strictest settings possible. In my case, I require buyers to have a PayPal account, and the minimum negative feedback and unpaid items. Also, I block any past deadbeat buyers from bidding on future items. I do think it has helped.

It also doesn't help that eBay almost always sides with the buyer if something goes wrong with the transaction.  Between this and the ever increasing fees, eBay is slowing putting themselves out of business.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2894 on: November 21, 2015, 09:00:19 AM »
Yeah, I am going to reluctantly list some things in eBay today, but I really hate using it as a seller.  It seems like the Amazon book selling fees have gotten even more atrocious though.  It's really annoying that the shipping fees can't be adjusted, so the seller just has to eat the cost of shipping heavy books.  And what they pay with their buy back policy is a joke. 

Yesterday I sold a horse-related item through Facebook and when the buyer showed up, I pawned off a few other items on her that weren't worth the hassle of trying to sell.  She went away happy and my bag-o-crap shrank by almost half.

FrugalShrew

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2895 on: November 21, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »

This is such a beautiful story! What a wonderful way to let your dresser go.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2896 on: November 23, 2015, 04:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the tips on reducing ebay time wasters, I'll change my settings.

What annoys me is that, as a buyer, when I click to buy it says, "you are entering a legally binding agreement" yada yada. I have NEVER backed out on buying something, even if I had buyers remorse immediately. And yet, despite this warning when  you click to buy, ebay never makes a buyer go through with a purchase. If someone doesn't pay up... oh well.

I understand from their point of view they don't want to put people off buying through them by aggressively forcing people to pay for stuff they have decided they don't want. But if they're not going to enforce paying, they should at least have a 'Sorry, I changed my mind' button so that sellers know what's going on. As it is I'm sending payment reminders, and waiting for the day I resell something and the original 'buyer' comes back and says, 'But it was promised to me!'.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2897 on: November 23, 2015, 07:01:10 AM »
Unloaded an old rocking chair and a vintage organ that were collecting dust in the basement.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2898 on: November 23, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »
Thanks for the tips on reducing ebay time wasters, I'll change my settings.

What annoys me is that, as a buyer, when I click to buy it says, "you are entering a legally binding agreement" yada yada. I have NEVER backed out on buying something, even if I had buyers remorse immediately. And yet, despite this warning when  you click to buy, ebay never makes a buyer go through with a purchase. If someone doesn't pay up... oh well.

I understand from their point of view they don't want to put people off buying through them by aggressively forcing people to pay for stuff they have decided they don't want. But if they're not going to enforce paying, they should at least have a 'Sorry, I changed my mind' button so that sellers know what's going on. As it is I'm sending payment reminders, and waiting for the day I resell something and the original 'buyer' comes back and says, 'But it was promised to me!'.

I feel your frustration, and have never backed out of a sale as a buyer either. I forgot to mention another tactic, which is maybe what you're referring to about payment reminders? If the buyer hasn't paid within 48 hours after the item has been purchased, I open an unpaid item case. It's easy, you just click on the item sold, select Resolve a Problem and I've Sold an Item and Haven't Received My Payment Yet. (Alternatively, when you list your item for sale, you can select to have an unpaid item case opened automatically if the buyer doesn't pay within 48 hours). In previous years that would've seemed pushy as a seller. Nowadays, not at all. It nudges the slow payers to pay sooner and it exposes the deadbeats sooner as well, so you can relist your item, and eBay will refund you for any fees.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 02:45:07 PM by Practical Magic »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2899 on: November 24, 2015, 03:30:42 AM »

I feel your frustration, and have never backed out of a sale as a buyer either. I forgot to mention another tactic, which is maybe what you're referring to about payment reminders? If the buyer hasn't paid within 48 hours after the item has been purchased, I open an unpaid item case. It's easy, you just click on the item sold, select Resolve a Problem and Haven't Received Payment from Buyer. (Alternatively, when you list your item for sale, you can select to have an unpaid item case opened automatically if the buyer doesn't pay within 48 hours). In previous years that would've seemed pushy as a seller. Nowadays, not at all. It nudges the slow payers to pay sooner and it exposes the deadbeats sooner as well, so you can relist your item, and eBay will refund you for any fees.

Thanks Practical Magic, I will try that next time!