Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 809629 times)

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2800 on: October 25, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
The consignment shop gave me $12.50 for the jumperoo. That kind of stung, considering I paid $60 for it less than a year ago, but it wasn't moving on fb or craigslist, so I decided something is better than nothing. They didn't want my other baby stuff - bottle warmer and playmat - because they don't buy/sell those at all for whatever reason. I'm going to try the other shop tomorrow; pretty sure they'll take it. If not, back to fb/cl. I also have one of these, which was given to me. I didn't think it was worth anything, but it turns out they're going for $15-30 on ebay! So that's where it's headed; I'll never use it.

I sorted through the bottle cabinet the other day and got rid of several incomplete bottle/nipple sets, pacifiers, and other small things we don't need anymore. It's kind of sad because I was kind of hoping we'd have at least one more baby, and getting rid of baby things means accepting the reality that we almost certainly won't.
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2801 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:53 AM »

I sorted through the bottle cabinet the other day and got rid of several incomplete bottle/nipple sets, pacifiers, and other small things we don't need anymore. It's kind of sad because I was kind of hoping we'd have at least one more baby, and getting rid of baby things means accepting the reality that we almost certainly won't.

Sorry to hear you're struggling tofuchampion. Decluttering can be surprisingly upsetting as we let go of idea of who and what we thought we would be as well as the material things.

I did my crafting stuff (er... again again). Why was I keeping half that stuff? Why did I think I needed 15 paintbrushes? Because they came in a set, apparently. I kept 5, one of each general size. The rest went to charity. Lots of things gone. I thought it would get harder to find stuff to cull, but it's almost getting easier as I realise I used to have 4 times that amount and don't miss anything.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #2802 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
We organized the closet yesterday and tossed out another bag of clothes. The dresser is now empty. I put it up for sale. If nobody picks it up by the end of the week it will be recycled. We have a small apartment and I want more space.
Americans fighting through student loans in Germany - http://aufhellerundpfennig.com

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2803 on: October 26, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »
Moving halfway across the country into a furnished apartment really helps one declutter. I've reduced all my possessions to fit in about 24 cubic ft or about a closet worth.
I put a picture of my possessions on my blog: http://www.livelikeyou.ca/decluttering-moving-prep/

Wow!:)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2804 on: October 26, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
At the salon, I organized and majorly decluttered the color room. Half the tint bowls and tint brushes out(there were like 30 bowls and 100 brushes). I recycled the decrepid . I also recyclabled several empty bottles of randoms.
Organized the break room as well.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2805 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

Sorry to hear you're struggling tofuchampion. Decluttering can be surprisingly upsetting as we let go of idea of who and what we thought we would be as well as the material things.

Idk if I'd call it struggling... just a little twinge of sadness.

KMMK - woah! Way to go! I did something similar back in 2009 - moved to another state with only what I could pack into my Chevy Aveo. I slept on an air mattress for a year... and it was great.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:16:25 AM by tofuchampion »
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2806 on: October 26, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
Moving halfway across the country into a furnished apartment really helps one declutter. I've reduced all my possessions to fit in about 24 cubic ft or about a closet worth.
I put a picture of my possessions on my blog: http://www.livelikeyou.ca/decluttering-moving-prep/

Wow! That's amazing!

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2807 on: October 27, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
Cleaned out my desk. Got rid of old revisions (basically stacks of papers hanging out), a non-working FitBit (it was my second one that crapped out, so it wasn't worth it for me to call and request a new one), re-attached a metal thing to Fido's kennel, corralled our loose batteries, and re-homed some old notebooks (after pulling out some pages that had lists of... well, it looked like a game of VERY ADULT Scattergories in neither mine nor DH's handwriting...)

It took about 10 minutes to get everything done, and while it's a small part of the apartment it made me feel productive and a little lighter!

(Now if I can convince DH to clean out HIS desk...)

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2808 on: October 27, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
Cleaned up my desk at work. Went through all the boxes I had and returned anything I wasn't using. Now I'm down to one small storage cabinet. Feel very very good!

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2809 on: October 27, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
Jumped back on the fly lady bandwagon - in the living room this week I got rid of about 45 magazines, 10 juvenile DVDs, and threw away a white plastic kitchen bag of miscellaneous leftovers and broken bits. Also found a $50 gift card that still had $50 on it (Target). It may be one of the kids, but I am keeping it for a cleaning fee. ( I know they have no idea it is there since it has Christmas theme.) Sue me! :-)
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2810 on: October 29, 2015, 06:12:27 AM »

I did my crafting stuff (er... again again). Why was I keeping half that stuff? Why did I think I needed 15 paintbrushes? Because they came in a set, apparently. I kept 5, one of each general size. The rest went to charity. Lots of things gone. I thought it would get harder to find stuff to cull, but it's almost getting easier as I realise I used to have 4 times that amount and don't miss anything.

I woke up and realised, huh, why do I need even 5 paintbrushes? I DON'T. If I ever need one (unlikely) I'll buy the right one then. Threw them all in the donate bag. And got rid of everything else in the 'craft' bin. A few things went to stationery, everything else, donated. If I really wanted to make jewellery, I would have made it by now. I am not short of time, I'm short of space.

Now that bin has gone elsewhere, where it can hold stuff I actually need and like and use, and the space on the shelf, is just glorious space.

On target for 2015 things gone in 2015.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2811 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

+1!! :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2812 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »
I'd been collecting certain items at the request of various friends (plastic shopping bags, egg cartons, empty spirit bottles, etc). I dropped all that off on the weekend so that was a small load off.

Lately I feel like there has been a lot of getting bags ready to sell/donate/toss and not a lot of actual getting rid of stuff.

I think it's time to forget eBay for a while and just donate, donate, donate to get stuff out of the house.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2813 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Did a couple hours of decluttering and organizing in the break room at work today .let's just say all the cabinets are junk drawers- useless junk, not the donating kind. Six bags recycling out. One bag trash out. So satisfying.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #2814 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
We did some serious furniture rearrangement on the weekend. Now I can see the clutter everywhere. Hopefully I can get on with actual cleaning for our rent inspection and save the removal of irritating clutter to the week after.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2815 on: November 01, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Good luck with the inspection!

I forgot to post my recent decluttering. D'oh! I donated the expensive boots and a box of stuff* that had been sitting next to the front door for I don't know how many months. We gave it all to a local charity fundraiser thingy last week.

* glass teacup and saucers that were a recent gift but I don't like drinking hot drinks out of glass nor teacups and saucers, a top that was uncomfortable, some op shop glassware and a few books.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2816 on: November 02, 2015, 12:55:17 AM »
It probably isn't very mustachian but I've decided to take everything I need to get rid of to the tip shop 5 mins down the road.  Yes, I could probably make money if I invested the time but I really just want to be rid of everything and time spent listing stuff and managing sales is time not spent sorting and getting rid of clutter. I have bought a lot from the tip shop over the years and a lot of people who are hard up shop there, it is run by the local council so is not for profit and they sell stuff cheap so it is affordable for all. I took a whole car boot full of stuff there on the weekend (mostly books), then realised I need an extra sleeping bag for a camping trip this weekend and found one there for $5!

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2817 on: November 02, 2015, 12:56:57 AM »
It probably isn't very mustachian but I've decided to take everything I need to get rid of to the tip shop 5 mins down the road.  Yes, I could probably make money if I invested the time but I really just want to be rid of everything and time spent listing stuff and managing sales is time not spent sorting and getting rid of clutter. I have bought a lot from the tip shop over the years and a lot of people who are hard up shop there, it is run by the local council so is not for profit and they sell stuff cheap so it is affordable for all. I took a whole car boot full of stuff there on the weekend (mostly books), then realised I need an extra sleeping bag for a camping trip this weekend and found one there for $5!

I think it's quite mustachian. You're keeping stuff out of landfill, reducing your overall impact on the environment. And helping others find stuff they need at affordable prices. It's not just about the money :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2818 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:31 AM »
Thanks Astatine, you turned my feeling lazy into warm and fuzzies :)

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #2819 on: November 02, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »

I think it's quite mustachian. You're keeping stuff out of landfill, reducing your overall impact on the environment. And helping others find stuff they need at affordable prices. It's not just about the money :)

Good point.  I will sell stuff on ebay that I barely make any money on.  I'd rather do that than throw it in the trash.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2820 on: November 02, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

Good point.  I will sell stuff on ebay that I barely make any money on.  I'd rather do that than throw it in the trash.

If you've got the mental/emotional energy for that. :) I don't. But luckily my city also has recycling sheds at the rubbish tips and they take nearly everything, so it's just one trip out there vs dealing with ebay (which I've never used as a buyer or a seller). I also use freecycle, which is less effort than ebay. If I lived somewhere where they weren't options, I suspect I wouldn't bother with trying to sell stuff and things may end up in landfill. I balance mental health vs my personal values.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2821 on: November 05, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »

If you've got the mental/emotional energy for that. :) I don't. But luckily my city also has recycling sheds at the rubbish tips and they take nearly everything, so it's just one trip out there vs dealing with ebay (which I've never used as a buyer or a seller). I also use freecycle, which is less effort than ebay. If I lived somewhere where they weren't options, I suspect I wouldn't bother with trying to sell stuff and things may end up in landfill. I balance mental health vs my personal values.

I did the same. I donated most things.  I just don't have the patience to deal with all the posting and selling and mailing.  I wanted things out of the house and I figured others could use it.  I didn't throw anything away that was usable and in good shape. It all got donated, with the exception of a few things which got sold.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2822 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »
Tuesday night I was out of town for work and talking to my husband on the phone.  He was scrounging around the house for stuff to donate for a fundraiser auction at work.  I had him toss in a few things I was planning to get rid of, and he was rummaging around down in the basement and brought some of his stuff.  Then yesterday I got home and he had a pile of stuff to take to the annual ski sale, and was posting a motorcycle helmet on Craigslist.  I don't know what sparked this, but he is usually totally complacent about getting rid of stuff.  Really exciting!

I've been reading the KonMari book and starting to fill up a big box with random stuff that escaped my last bout of decluttering.  I have probably almost $1,000 worth of horse gear to sell on eBay and should have time to get it all listed soon.  Next we need to corral all our household hazardous waste/old electronics and get them gone.

JAYSLOL

• Bristles
« Reply #2823 on: November 07, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
Ok, so this is going to be way worse than the average post in this thread, so please apply face punches as necessary...

Over the last 3.5 years i've purchased 10 storage lockers of various sizes at auction as a fun hobby/side hustle.  I've been pretty good (at least initially) about getting rid of the leftover junk that builds up after moving all the easy to sell items, however in the last few months i've been too busy (excuse alert!) with my day job and family to hold a proper garage sale or spend much time organizing and listing all the little things and throwing out the junk.

The last unit i bought over this summer was larger than usually (or should have) bought and was very disorganized.  I've already made my money back and then some on it, but still have an entire bedroom of the house and most of a cube van full of stuff that needs time-consuming organization and listing for sale, or donation or trash.  I also personally have WAY more stuff than i need without all the extra locker junk and will embark on a mission over the next few months to get rid of all leftover locker items and much of my un-needed/un-used personal things. 

My goals are to sell at least $1000 worth of stuff by the end of November, to have the bedroom completely cleaned out by the end of January and to have gone through and sold, donated or thrown out ALL unnecessary possessions by the end of February. 

Wish me luck

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2824 on: November 07, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »
Today I've put several water bottles into recycling. (I get a new one every hospital visit and the empties have been accumulating at home)

Threw out some out packaging that's no longer needed. Also threw out some instructions for something I no longer own.

I've also started a new donate box. Nearly full! We'll take it to the recycling shed at the rubbish tip next time we're out that way. So far, the donation box has:

- a children's book (bought from an op shop as a gift but realised it's to tatty to use as a gift)
- 2 of my tops (one looks dowdy, the other is uncomfortable)
- candle plus 2 fake candles that I bought for a party
- old digital camera that I got from freecycle ages ago and never used
- a bag that some medical stuff came in

DH is going through his boxes of memoriabilia/sentimental stuff. A few things have made it into the recycling bin. It's mostly a consolidation exercise so we can fit some work stuff under the bed. (we're working from home for the next 5 or 6 months and there isn't space for some of the work stuff we have to have)

Wish me luck

Good luck! On the plus side, I assume you have no emotional attachment to the stuff. Hopefully that means it's just a matter of getting organised and not having to fight with/manage sentimal reactions to the stuff.

JAYSLOL

• Bristles
« Reply #2825 on: November 07, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Today I've put several water bottles into recycling. (I get a new one every hospital visit and the empties have been accumulating at home)

Threw out some out packaging that's no longer needed. Also threw out some instructions for something I no longer own.

I've also started a new donate box. Nearly full! We'll take it to the recycling shed at the rubbish tip next time we're out that way. So far, the donation box has:

- a children's book (bought from an op shop as a gift but realised it's to tatty to use as a gift)
- 2 of my tops (one looks dowdy, the other is uncomfortable)
- candle plus 2 fake candles that I bought for a party
- old digital camera that I got from freecycle ages ago and never used
- a bag that some medical stuff came in

DH is going through his boxes of memoriabilia/sentimental stuff. A few things have made it into the recycling bin. It's mostly a consolidation exercise so we can fit some work stuff under the bed. (we're working from home for the next 5 or 6 months and there isn't space for some of the work stuff we have to have)

Wish me luck

Good luck! On the plus side, I assume you have no emotional attachment to the stuff. Hopefully that means it's just a matter of getting organised and not having to fight with/manage sentimal reactions to the stuff.

Yeah, it is WAY easier to be ruthlessly unemotional with someone else's former belongings!  Good practice for me for when i get around to going through my own stuff.  I'm posting things as reply :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:05:28 PM by JAYSLOL »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2826 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
PAPER has been building up since we moved house a few months ago - ugh! I neex to sit down and put an hour or two into sorting, filing and shredding.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2827 on: November 08, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Took three giant bags to Brown Elephant yesterday: 25+ books, some clothing (I checked: they textile recycle anything they can't resell--yay!), and a few other miscellaneous items.

I also got DH to clear out his desk, including some digital recyclables.

At this point, unless I can continue parting with books (an ongoing process) we've reached an impasse. (DH won't go through his closet, and I'm not going to ask again.)

I'll do an apartment run-through again at the beginning of 2016. Maybe I'll be more inclined to give up some books or clear out some old papers then (or can convince DH to do the same).

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2828 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
I've got some stuff happening in life right now, but the part that is applicable here is that I am going to start putting miscellaneous (unused) items in a box. If it's not missed, I'm getting rid of it one way or another. Now just debating on whether to tell the SO. :) I'll have more details later that I'll post here. Minimalism is becoming a much larger part of my life, and I might even end up taking it to the extreme.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2829 on: November 09, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
I've got some stuff happening in life right now, but the part that is applicable here is that I am going to start putting miscellaneous (unused) items in a box. If it's not missed, I'm getting rid of it one way or another. Now just debating on whether to tell the SO. :) I'll have more details later that I'll post here. Minimalism is becoming a much larger part of my life, and I might even end up taking it to the extreme.
Have you read Marie Kondo's book?  A few sections helped me when dealing with my husband.  First, I don't show him the things I'm getting rid of (that are mine).  Second, I don't get rid of his items for him. 

Since I've taken a hands-off approach to my husband's things, he's parted with more than when I was pushing him to get rid of things.  I do itemize everything and donate it, so he only has to decide that he wants to get rid of an item.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2830 on: November 09, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
Last year I condensed our paperwork down to a single binder.

On the weekend I went through it and pulled out anything no longer needed (e.g. last year's rego papers, etc). Ended up with a stack of papers about an inch high, which I shredded at work this morning.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2831 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »
I'm really losing decluttering steam :( And it's not that my possessions are pared down as much as I want them to be, unfortunately.

Marie Kondo said you will know when you have the right amount of stuff for you, and I know she's right because I've reached that point with makeup and toiletries. It just feels perfect and I love it.

But to get to that point with clothes is harder for me. I have got rid of so much... but I haven't been able to replace it as quickly with things that 'give me joy'. Anyone else found this? I am actually struggling to find work outfits each morning, and yet I'm still wearing loads of things I don't even like. If I got rid of everything except the joy givers I think I'd be nude! And I don't want to spend a fortune buying new joyous items. Anyone else have this problem?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2832 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »
^Can you pick out your favourite outfits and see what you like about them and then try to only buy clothes like them. Maybe get a friend round to see how you look, or take photos and see which things and colours suit you.

I'm finding it hard to find stuff to declutter at the moment.

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2833 on: November 10, 2015, 06:44:01 AM »
theadvicist, can you arrange a clothing swap? Bring the stuff that you don't like, and see if you find new items that work from your friend's cast-offs. Do you know why you're not liking what's on hand?

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2834 on: November 10, 2015, 07:15:15 AM »
TheAdvicist - I'm in the same boat as you with clothes. And for me at least it's not as easy as going out and buying new (or thrift store) ones that I love because I'm so picky I can go shopping and not find one thing I love.
One thing I'm going to look into doing is creating a "uniform" where I find polo's or something similarly generic and buy a bunch in different colors. While I still won't love my work clothes at least I won't dread wearing the ones I'm keeping just so I'm not going to work nude

plainjane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2835 on: November 10, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »
The old tv is out of the house - I really hope the person who is supposed to pick it up does so today.  For something with such a thin footprint, it has taken an inordinate amount of mental energy with copious second guessing and procrastination.

This is the problem with a big house & a basement.  There is no impetus to get rid of things, we always have the space.  And it's easy to say 'just in case'.  I wonder if for the SO it's the equivalent of a stocked pantry/freezer.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2836 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Your help and encouragement needed!  Through a roundabout way, I came across someone local who buys music records and albums, and even offered to buy my record player if I have one (which I do).  From my youth and being a DJ for a short while, I have over 200 albums, over 50 45s, and 200 cassette tapes.  The problem?  I don't seem to be ready to sell them.  They are organized in the hall closet, and I play the records once a year or so.  The cassettes never.  What would you do?

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2837 on: November 10, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

I am actually struggling to find work outfits each morning, and yet I'm still wearing loads of things I don't even like. If I got rid of everything except the joy givers I think I'd be nude! And I don't want to spend a fortune buying new joyous items. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. I have a bunch of work clothes that don't spark joy (or that I like but that also have something wrong with them that keeps me from feeling good about them). I am thinking of them as a new category--stuff that isn't what I ultimately want, but that serves a purpose well enough for now. It's like the "functional" category of stuff, except that in my mind, I explicitly label it as something that will be let go of when circumstances permit. That might be when I find a replacement that I love, or when it wears out, or when i don't need it any more. Consciously putting the items in this category means that although I still wear them, the emotions have been processed, the decision has been made, and I can wear them just as useful clothes without the baggage. And the minute that they are no longer useful, I can discard them without revisiting them.

I'm still trying out this idea, but it seems to relieve the stress of having to wear clothes that aren't joy-givers. It also helps me discriminate between items that are "I don't mind wearing this until I find something better" and items that are "y'know, I really *don't* like wearing this"--so I can discard the latter.

Like AerynLee, I'm picky, and I'm an odd size, so it's hard to find replacements that are just right. My whole life, I've worn anything that was passable just to have *something* to wear. It's going to be a step-by-step process to get to a closet of joy-sparkers only. Meanwhile, being able to articulate the difference seems to help.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2838 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Your help and encouragement needed!  Through a roundabout way, I came across someone local who buys music records and albums, and even offered to buy my record player if I have one (which I do).  From my youth and being a DJ for a short while, I have over 200 albums, over 50 45s, and 200 cassette tapes.  The problem?  I don't seem to be ready to sell them.  They are organized in the hall closet, and I play the records once a year or so.  The cassettes never.  What would you do?

Mountain, let it go. Enjoy the space, and the reduced dusting.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #2839 on: November 10, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
Get rid of the cassettes for sure - you don't listen to them anyway.
Go through the 200 albums and pull out the ones you don't love, or you have CDs of. Get rid of those.
If you still have a lot of albums left after purging, I don't see any problem with keeping them if you actually listen to and enjoy them.  If you only have a few left, it might be worth just making a list of them and replacing them with CDs when you see them on sale or if family members ask what you want for holiday/birthday gifts.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2840 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
TheAdvicist - I'm in the same boat as you with clothes. And for me at least it's not as easy as going out and buying new (or thrift store) ones that I love because I'm so picky I can go shopping and not find one thing I love.
One thing I'm going to look into doing is creating a "uniform" where I find polo's or something similarly generic and buy a bunch in different colors. While I still won't love my work clothes at least I won't dread wearing the ones I'm keeping just so I'm not going to work nude
My husband made a comment when I went through my clothing that I wouldn't have anything to wear.  I struggled for a few weeks, but I bought my favorite items slightly used on eBay.  They were more than a thrift shop, but way less than new.  Also, they're the exact same year (sometimes things shift season to season) as my favorite pair.  It's ridiculous, but true.  I also instituted a work uniform and bought 10 of my favorite tops in various colors.  Now I don't shop unless I need to replace something. 

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2841 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
I love the idea of a work uniform.  I went to the thrift store and bought 3 more pairs of black pants. I already had 1 and I work 4 days a week.  Sometimes I will wear a dress, or other colored pants, but now my goto everyday is to grab black pants, my black shoes, any shirt and I am done.  It really has made it simple.

We are having white elephant gifts for Christmas at work, and the requirement is that you don't buy anything, it has to be something you already have.  I love it.  I told everyone I was giving them expired Metamucil.  Unfortunately, I don't actually own that.  But I am going to have fun choosing something!

Fbeyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2842 on: November 11, 2015, 01:28:52 AM »
Is the rest of your house decluttered?
Have you meticulously gone through, and reflected on, every single thing you own and now you're just left with dealing with the music?

Material detachment is a mental muscle you have to train. Starting with emotionally insignificant stuff is equivalent to the low weights. Getting rid of your sentimentals is the 400 pound deadlift; there is no easy way to do it, you have to do it right, no one can help you, and you have to be freakin' strong to do it.
If you still haven't pared down your stacks of papers; get it done first!
If you still haven't pared down your wardrobe; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your kitchen; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your movies; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your books; get it done!

By the time you've gone through that and know why, to great detail why you've kept and especially why you've thrown away all those things again, you are in much better mental shape to handle sentimental items like photographs, letters and music.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2843 on: November 11, 2015, 10:43:24 AM »
I have the same problem with clothes. I got rid of a ton and still have plenty left but I don't love it all and for me, that is okay.  For now I am wearing what I have and just adding a few pieces here and there as I go along. I am super fickle with clothes but as I add, I am making sure that I really like it and will wear it. 

I have been decluttering for a number of years now.  I am still decluttering and would like to finally be done.  But that will be awhile yet.  My collectibles are harder to deal with since there really isn't a market for them anymore.

I have gone through stages of decluttering. I will get real into it and then wane off and then pick it up again.  It does get tiring. But, I will keep dealing with it until I am at a point I want.  I am not looking to be a "real" minimalist, but I want to get close.  I really don't want things stored in closets/rooms unless it is stuff I am really using.

Quite frankly, if I was younger, I would go the backpack route or own very little, just to feel the freedom from stuff, even for a minute. 

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2844 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
Thank you, Sibley, Always and Fbyer.

Is the rest of your house decluttered?  Things on display, yes.
Have you meticulously gone through, and reflected on, every single thing you own and now you're just left with dealing with the music?

Material detachment is a mental muscle you have to train. Starting with emotionally insignificant stuff is equivalent to the low weights. Getting rid of your sentimentals is the 400 pound deadlift; there is no easy way to do it, you have to do it right, no one can help you, and you have to be freakin' strong to do it.
If you still haven't pared down your stacks of papers; get it done first!  Done
If you still haven't pared down your wardrobe; get it done!  Working on it
If you still haven't pared down your kitchen; get it done!  Done, but can do more
If you still haven't pared down your movies; get it done!  Will need DH's assistance, since most are his
If you still haven't pared down your books; get it done! Done

By the time you've gone through that and know why, to great detail why you've kept and especially why you've thrown away all those things again, you are in much better mental shape to handle sentimental items like photographs, letters and music.

Thanks again.  Makes sense.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2845 on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »
Have you read Marie Kondo's book?  A few sections helped me when dealing with my husband.  First, I don't show him the things I'm getting rid of (that are mine).  Second, I don't get rid of his items for him. 

Since I've taken a hands-off approach to my husband's things, he's parted with more than when I was pushing him to get rid of things.  I do itemize everything and donate it, so he only has to decide that he wants to get rid of an item.

I have read the book, and loved it (mostly). All of my stuff is now folded in her fashion. I mentioned a few things earlier in this thread (although now I realize how long this thread is), when I was really clearing it all up. I found that making a pile in the middle of the living room for stuff to go to Goodwill made the pile get magically bigger. Right now though, I'm pretty close to being fully optimized (and fully optimized when it comes to clothes). My main issue is that there is oh so much stuff, and almost none of it is used...ever. Hence the sneaky aspect of it all. Who knows, maybe after I hit the time thing, I'll run through it all prior to getting rid of it. We'll see.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2846 on: November 11, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

I'm keen to do a declutter though.

Alternatively there's stuff that'd take a long time to find a buyer (hifi kit).

Any tips? Thanks :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2847 on: November 11, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2848 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?
No. That's why I haven't done it. I'm not sure on all the recycling places that'll take the stuff either.

Especially if it's items that are only a couple of dollars new and aren't really what you'd donate (like TV/phone cables and packets of envelopes and the like), or outdated tech accessories (I've got about four or five external hard drives).

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2849 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
Best buy takes used electronics, including chargers and other accessories I believe.