Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 772969 times)

Eirene

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2700 on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
It's harder now to find things to get rid of, but I also noticed that I have no trouble letting go of a number of things that I kept previously "just in case".  I feel like I need to revisit all the previously decluttered areas.

Same here, I got rid of a bunch of just-in-case clothes and want to do the same with books and papers.
Journal here, much easier for me to find it as it doesn't get updated often  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/mostly-on-budget/

Blog coming soon(-ish) eventually perhaps

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #2701 on: September 28, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
ATMO it's way easier to get rid of things the second time around if they're already in the maybe pile the first time. Maybe is a timid vote for getting rid of something.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2702 on: September 28, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
This isn't the first time I've found a 5 foot long snake skin in the shed :-)  I thought at the time that the first one was from a huge garter snake I had been seeing around.  They rarely get to be 5 feet long, it was a beautiful snake!  Dark blue with yellow/green stripes down its length.

Don't worry, black snakes are common around here, and I've never heard of anyone being hurt by one.  I like having snakes in our shed, it's not vermin tight and that helps keep the mice and chipmunks to a minimum.

Cool:). Rarely see a snake where I live, but there are harmless garter snakes, also rattle snakes.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #2703 on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Shelves in the bathroom had too many items on them, items that I did not use all the time.

I placed most of the items into an easy-to-reach, out-of-sight storage area. I then used a tray on the shelf on which to keep the things I use regularly. If it cannot fit on the tray, then it cannot come out of storage.

I didn't need to make those other items so handy. The bathroom shelves are far more organized and a pleasure to see in the morning.

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #2704 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
Inspiring thread. Commenting so I can follow it.
I am not weird, I am a limited edition.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2705 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Six more items of clothing out the door following a critical analysis of the 100 day challenge so far (43 selfies down, 57 to go).

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2706 on: September 30, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »
So a bit of a backstory that kind of shows how happy I am that my little brother is finally going this route. My brother has a relatively large house, with a 2 car garage. I don't have a garage. Before I went car free, I was doing all of my work in the street or the driveway. He has so much junk in his garage, he can't get his car in there. While doing his brakes, he called me to complain  that it started raining, and he couldn't finish. I just laughed at him since he actually has a garage. Well, last week he mentioned that he needed to really clean it out. He's a truck driver, so spends 10-12 hours a day on the road. So I grabbed the Marie Kondo book in audio format and burnt it to CD for him. He started listening to it, and is on board so far. That is huge!!!

Also, while I went to burn the CD, I started going through the files on my computer and began a deep clean.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2707 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Ok, so I'm usually pretty good decluttering and Getting Rid of Stuff. However, I am stuck on a pair of boots. I bought them about a year before I discovered MMM and was in a phase of trying to break free of fear of deprivation and miserliness. DH encouraged  me to splurge a little on myself, so I bought some awesome looking boots that were ... wait for it ... $300 (might even have been more). I have never spent so much on a pair of shoes! Not even my expensive runners come close. I love these boots but they hurt my feet and ankles so much. They are full-on chunky so stretching them is not an option.

I actually just recently purchased boots for over $300, for the first time. See, what happened was, I went to r/BuyItForLife and started reading about what boots would last a long, long time, because I'm sick of shoes that die in a year. From there I ended up at r/GoodyearWelt (goodyear welt being one of the, if not the, most durable methods of shoe construction) and got recommendations for manufacturers whose stuff really just frickin lasts. I'm expecting the shoes to arrive today.

The entire reason I started wearing leather boots was because I was told a good pair will last you 10 years or more. Well, clearly the $60 ones I bought last year were not a good pair. I don't just mean sole wear (those can be replaced), but a wearing upper too.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2708 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
Dog brought home fleas after staying at the neighbor's house for a week.  (UGH! 10 years and we've never had a flea!!!)

Took this as an opportunity to throw away anything I didn't want to bother to wash.  The house isn't infested yet (I haven't had a bite so far) and I do not want it to be- so EVERYTHING is being washed.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2709 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Tidied the break room at work yesterday, looking quite lovely. AND now ppl will know what we hav & stop stocking up.  there must be a million napkins & plastic wear.
Also, coworkers & I decluttered some cabinets. Several books & hair tools donated (work in beauty salon ). Lots of papers, etc recycled. Owner of salon was going to throw everything in the TRASH so I told her I'd take care of it. Omg, with all the options in the area where I live , how appalling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:34:41 AM by riverffashion »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2710 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

So the other morning I went into the kitchen and it was in worst ever state ive seen it. Wish u could post the video, but my phone doesn't hav the capability. Mess of food preparing, dirty dishes, cabinets left open, garbage on floor, recycling needed emptying, dishes in dish drain, carpet iin corner as if kicked over.... When I later morning ran into her in the kitchen I said, "I love you but this is ridiculous". Mind you, she's a really peaceful, gentle person with this being her flaw. It was hard to confront her. But when I moved in and get former roommate (with a two year old) moved out, she said she was looking forward to a tidy house. Being tidy myself I was happy to hear this. So as you can imagine I became quickly appalled.
In any case, comment seems to hav had an effect, because when I came home, was spotless- kitchen & dining room. And the next day the laundry area was cleaned up, bathrooms, hallways becoming cleared, book cabinets decuttered and sorted....!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2711 on: September 30, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
I have been rocking and rolling this week.   Settling into my new place.  Not much left to purge, though I did toss a few hair ties I don't like and have a book for the thrift shop. 

I made a platform bed with storage under it a few weeks ago.  Most of what faces out is made from cube storage shelves.   I initially bought several half shelves and storage baskets to match it, but when I unpacked the shelf units and saw all the cardboard I realized that I might as well make my own "baskets."   The cardboard is double corrugated and very heavy duty, so I doubled it up and made my own half shelves too.  I used tools and glue and fabric I already had on hand.  The fabric was given to me when a friend cleaned out her closets.  It's a pretty neutral but is cheap and not worth putting into a quilt, so it's perfect for a storage container!  I put cute little drawer pull handles on them.  So far I've made the equivalent of about $100 worth of target storage bins and baskets for free, mine might even be sturdier. 

In the process of doing this I've rearranged 3/4 of my possessions and found out I even have some empty storage space in my 290 sq feet.  Wha!?!?

These shelves hold my clothing, my sewing supplies, my books, school supplies, extra toilet paper and even some cooking supplies.

I still have a few boxes to make and I'll live with this set up for a month or so and see how it works. 

I'm pretty dang pleased.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2712 on: September 30, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
I have been rocking and rolling this week.   Settling into my new place.  Not much left to purge, though I did toss a few hair ties I don't like and have a book for the thrift shop. 

I made a platform bed with storage under it a few weeks ago.  Most of what faces out is made from cube storage shelves.   I initially bought several half shelves and storage baskets to match it, but when I unpacked the shelf units and saw all the cardboard I realized that I might as well make my own "baskets."   The cardboard is double corrugated and very heavy duty, so I doubled it up and made my own half shelves too.  I used tools and glue and fabric I already had on hand.  The fabric was given to me when a friend cleaned out her closets.  It's a pretty neutral but is cheap and not worth putting into a quilt, so it's perfect for a storage container!  I put cute little drawer pull handles on them.  So far I've made the equivalent of about $100 worth of target storage bins and baskets for free, mine might even be sturdier. 

In the process of doing this I've rearranged 3/4 of my possessions and found out I even have some empty storage space in my 290 sq feet.  Wha!?!?

These shelves hold my clothing, my sewing supplies, my books, school supplies, extra toilet paper and even some cooking supplies.

I still have a few boxes to make and I'll live with this set up for a month or so and see how it works. 

I'm pretty dang pleased.

290sq. ft. ? That sounds so lovely to me. Hate to say my areas COL is the highest in U.S. , so my cheap room in condo with two roommates is the way to go for me for now.

Helvegen

• Bristles
« Reply #2713 on: September 30, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
I've started the decluttering process, because we decided we are going to be RVing full-time next fall.

I am getting rid of my pressure cooker, crockpot, and rice cooker because Instant Pot.

As soon as I get my new and smaller, but much higher quality, block of knives, will be CLing my old knife block.

I really need to get rid of some glasses. I have no idea why we have four cabinet shelf spaces for glasses for three people.

I have some odd multiples of kitchen gadgets like two pasta forks. Got me.

I have two dresses, and pant suit, and some dress shoes I need to get rid of. I also need to clean out the coat closet. Lots of pullovers and coats in there that are just way too big now.

Hard, but I am going to have to pare down my books to the bare minimum.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2714 on: September 30, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
I've started the decluttering process, because we decided we are going to be RVing full-time next fall.

I am getting rid of my pressure cooker, crockpot, and rice cooker because Instant Pot.

As soon as I get my new and smaller, but much higher quality, block of knives, will be CLing my old knife block.

I really need to get rid of some glasses. I have no idea why we have four cabinet shelf spaces for glasses for three people.

I have some odd multiples of kitchen gadgets like two pasta forks. Got me.

I have two dresses, and pant suit, and some dress shoes I need to get rid of. I also need to clean out the coat closet. Lots of pullovers and coats in there that are just way too big now.

Hard, but I am going to have to pare down my books to the bare minimum.

Awesome! RVing sounds really fun. And a super fantastic motivation to do massive declutter. I suspect you will love the paired down look :).

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2715 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Took two giant bags to the Brown Elephant yesterday (all I could carry on public transit). Down to one giant bag and some odds and ends.

Well, it was all, until I took another swipe at my closet and bookshelves. Seven books and six items of clothing later, it just went back up to two bags and some odds and ends...

I'm aspiring to a Project333-esque wardrobe now. It's painful, but also wonderful.

Helvegen

• Bristles
« Reply #2716 on: September 30, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Awesome! RVing sounds really fun. And a super fantastic motivation to do massive declutter. I suspect you will love the paired down look :).

I'm looking forward to it. I am trying to think in terms of what I need to survive and thrive. I think I'll miss my chest freezer the most. Obviously no way that thing is getting in an RV! Now that I think about it, the huge reason I have the thing in the first place is to store freezer meals, bread dough, etc because I don't have time to cook from scratch meals every night anymore like I did before I went back to work. I have to batch make them on the weekends and freeze them. When we go RVing, I don't think this will be an issue anymore. Problem solved? :p

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2717 on: September 30, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. I am trying to think in terms of what I need to survive and thrive. I think I'll miss my chest freezer the most. Obviously no way that thing is getting in an RV! Now that I think about it, the huge reason I have the thing in the first place is to store freezer meals, bread dough, etc because I don't have time to cook from scratch meals every night anymore like I did before I went back to work. I have to batch make them on the weekends and freeze them. When we go RVing, I don't think this will be an issue anymore. Problem solved? :p

I'm guessing that means you can't store anywhere for free. If you can find time to cook to eat up your stock before you go would be good (prevent waste & spend less). Did you already get rid of the crock pot and pressure cooker? Could help take the pressure off you. And obviously donate or sell all those kitchen items before you leave.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2718 on: September 30, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Decluttered and organized 3 drawers (2 misc mementos, my supplements, a couple tools. And one bathroom items), as well as 3 shoeboxes with sewing and art supplies. Everything nice and neatly organized now & several photos and papers out. Also found a claim for funds from some sort of class action lawsuit expiring 10/6/15! Wow, filed online just in time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:08:00 PM by riverffashion »

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2719 on: October 02, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Another batch of stuff going to consignment today.  I also returned 3 clothing items that I bought recently but decided they didn't quite work for me after all.  I really don't need more clothes but keep on being tempted by new stuff....  Need to work on that.

I am planning to go through my hall closet and my papers over the weekend.  And I have to list my remaining 3 items on Craigslist.

Now the hardest part will be not to allow new stuff into the house ;-)

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2720 on: October 02, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
I found a swivel-headed wrench on the way to work. Can I bring it home? It will be useful, and making a "find" sparks joy in me. :)

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2721 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
(other)Nora, I say keep it! I love picking stuff up and then if it serves no purpose it's so easy to let it go later, because you know you didn't spend anything on it so there's no weird psychological reason to justify the cost by hanging onto it.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2722 on: October 02, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
Another batch of stuff going to consignment today.  I also returned 3 clothing items that I bought recently but decided they didn't quite work for me after all.  I really don't need more clothes but keep on being tempted by new stuff....  Need to work on that.

I am planning to go through my hall closet and my papers over the weekend.  And I have to list my remaining 3 items on Craigslist.

Now the hardest part will be not to allow new stuff into the house ;-)

Don't go shopping. Just don't walk into the store. Don't go to the website. can't buy it if you don't have the opportunity. :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Ducky sitting on her egg with her Drake
« Reply #2723 on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
We have a kerbside pickup this week. I'm considering getting rid of:
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- assorted outdoor chairs
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2724 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Be strong anatidaev.  At one point we had 7 couches in out house.  Believe me when I say that it's much easier to gain a couch than it is to get rid of 1 (or 5).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2725 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

It will be so fabulous to create a space you love!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2726 on: October 02, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- dining table

I got all psyched up, then realised it's not for 2 more weeks. So, I have time to plan for more stuff to go...

Edited to add: just real the "rules" and they won't take anything longer than 1.5m, which is several of my items. Will try anyway, and might have to hire something to take them to the tip if they don't :(

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #2727 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

I keep looking at the Instant Pot but cannot pull the trigger for some reason.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2728 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
Finally rid of the microwave I thought I had a buyer for a few months ago, but they flaked multiple times- then I never took it to goodwill.

The best part- I freecycled it to someone who seems genuinely thrilled to have a microwave. Man, I take a lot for granted.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #2729 on: October 03, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I found 2 spare DVD players along with our VHS player in the closet. I'm copying the VHS tapes over to DVD and will soon be able to get rid of all these spares, along with a whole shelf of VHS tapes!

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2730 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
I haven't had much success lately. I did sell my daughter's pack & play for $40. I listed a bunch more baby stuff on a local facebook buy/sell page, but no bites yet, just one lowball attempt. Then tonight I was looking on eBay and found out that the same things are selling there for more than I've been asking, so I'm in the process of listing it there instead.

My kitchen stuff needs to be the next category to konmari. I have a teeny-tiny kitchen and a zillion things that I never use. We have a crock-pot that got used once and then stopped working. A cupcake display thing that was used once, at our wedding 4 years ago, and has been sitting in the box ever since. An ice cream maker that was a wedding present, and I don't want it because I'm no longer friends with the person who gave it, so, y'know, negative associations. Et cetera. I'd love to toss our mismatched dishes and silverware and get a nice basic matching set, but that costs money,
Maybe if you sell the cupcake tower and ice cream maker you can put that $ towards new dishes. Maybe you/DH can send a company wide email at work to see if you can get a hassle free sale.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #2731 on: October 04, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
I took a big step last week.  I took a leather coat and two cashmere sweaters to the consignment shop.  They've been too tight for a few years now, but every fall I'd put them on.  Nope, they did not magically grow to fit me over the summer.  But I held on to them anyway thinking I will lose those 20 pounds.  Now it was time to let them go, but hard because…  leather and cashmere!  My closets now have some wiggle room which is nice.  I've gotten rid of other things too but those three items were hard to let go of.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2732 on: October 05, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
I took a big step last week.  I took a leather coat and two cashmere sweaters to the consignment shop.  They've been too tight for a few years now, but every fall I'd put them on.  Nope, they did not magically grow to fit me over the summer.  But I held on to them anyway thinking I will lose those 20 pounds.  Now it was time to let them go, but hard because…  leather and cashmere!  My closets now have some wiggle room which is nice.  I've gotten rid of other things too but those three items were hard to let go of.

Elle, I know the feeling exactly!  I gained weight over the last couple of years and could not fit into several of my nice cashmere and merino sweaters.  It was so hard to let them go!  I also consigned several very nice handbags in the spring.  Bringing them to the consignment store really hurt, even though they were sitting in my closet unused.  But it was a temporary feeling and it passed quickly.  I am now enjoying the empty space in my closet and the simplicity of having less.

redfreddie3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2733 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
Four trash bags full of clothing, purses and shoes out of my house today into happy new homes.  Makes me a little sick to think of the money wasted.  Also recycled several of the clothing hangers I was using in my daughter's closet by dropping them off at the children's consignment shop, they were happy to have them.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2734 on: October 07, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
Yay, another bag of clothing out today.

I was in the bath last night and got out and just did a quick throw away of stuff from my one big chest of drawers. It makes me feel good to look in there afterwards and see everything so minimalist and neat.:)

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #2735 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
Hi all, this thread is remarkable.  I read the Marie Kondo book a few months ago and then got rid of about six bags of old clothes -- just as the winter stuff was going into the attic, and the summer stuff coming into my bedroom.   Now, with this next change of seasons already here, it's time for another purge.

You are motivational; inspiring, even!

For me, the key is being present because I can live in clutter and mess and not consciously notice, though after having read the MK book, I found myself occasionally seeing where I was and saying to myself "Hmm, there's really nothing on this table that needs to be here.  I can toss those papertowels I used under last week's iced tea, that folder of our travel papers can be tossed now that the trip is over, and these three books need to go in the give away pile."  Amazing both how easy it is to live shut down, and how transformative opening my eyes can be.  You all are eye openers! 

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2736 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
I got rid of 4 giant trash bags of clothes!

I haven't finished the marie kondo book on audio yet (the waitlist for the library ebook has 29 ppl ahead of me!) lucky for me, i went over to the next county and joined that library (now number 4 on the waitlist)

I also put aside 2 large boxes of boxes to donate to the library.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2737 on: October 12, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »

I haven't finished the marie kondo book on audio yet (the waitlist for the library ebook has 29 ppl ahead of me!) lucky for me, i went over to the next county and joined that library (now number 4 on the waitlist)

Ha! I was wait listed 126! Took several months to get to me but is worth it :). Also, before I read I actually did a lot of reading online about the Konmari Method and tidied before I even read the book . there are a lot of details in the book however that are not always found in a blog.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2738 on: October 13, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- dining table

I got all psyched up, then realised it's not for 2 more weeks. So, I have time to plan for more stuff to go...

Edited to add: just real the "rules" and they won't take anything longer than 1.5m, which is several of my items. Will try anyway, and might have to hire something to take them to the tip if they don't :(
Decided to keep 1 couch and 1 office chair, but the rest is gone. As well as a large flat piece of plywood (which, if I find a project for such a thing, I will simply ask around/gumtree/buy another one). Also a cute little wheelbarrow garden decoration that went rusty and paint started peeling (not suitable for the outdoors despite the advertising) and a coffee table I picked up off gumtree and was using as a planting bench.

Vaguely upset at giving away Grandparents-In-Laws dining table even though they didn't want it and neither did anyone on Gumtree. The office chair and couch that we put out are already gone by a verge-picker, so I'm actually really happy about that. Yay!

The rest of the stuff in our house is all small things that either need electronics disposal or will fit in our bin, so I'm so happy!

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2739 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Earlier this year I had to change medicines (blood test showed I needed to come off them). So I had 3 boxes of tablets I was never going to use so yesterday we took them to the local pharmacy for disposal.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2740 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

So the other morning I went into the kitchen and it was in worst ever state ive seen it. Wish u could post the video, but my phone doesn't hav the capability. Mess of food preparing, dirty dishes, cabinets left open, garbage on floor, recycling needed emptying, dishes in dish drain, carpet iin corner as if kicked over.... When I later morning ran into her in the kitchen I said, "I love you but this is ridiculous". Mind you, she's a really peaceful, gentle person with this being her flaw. It was hard to confront her. But when I moved in and get former roommate (with a two year old) moved out, she said she was looking forward to a tidy house. Being tidy myself I was happy to hear this. So as you can imagine I became quickly appalled.
In any case, comment seems to hav had an effect, because when I came home, was spotless- kitchen & dining room. And the next day the laundry area was cleaned up, bathrooms, hallways becoming cleared, book cabinets decuttered and sorted....!

I am so happy to say that my roommate has seriously caught the decluttering bug! :). Everyday some new area is clean and tidy or some piece of furniture or stack of books donated. And the kitchen is always spotless.
At my recommendation she has ordered Marie Kondos book from the library.
She says she is really enjoying the process:). As well as the clean & clear space as well. The biggest thing for her was this: she has a lot of stuff passed on from family. I asked her if she likes them. I told her that if she donates or sells the things she doesn't like, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her family. So she has let go of a substantial amount of this type.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2741 on: October 14, 2015, 06:27:01 AM »
I need motivation to get on this again. My biggest issue is I don't have a good place to get rid of stuff that really needs to go.  No one takes books, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest half price books!  (And I guess textbooks I just take the cover off and put them into recycling?)

And I have got to get the "baby's room" emptied out. There is an actual deadline on that.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2742 on: October 14, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »

how much did you get for them?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2743 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
Hi all, this thread is remarkable.  I read the Marie Kondo book a few months ago and then got rid of about six bags of old clothes -- just as the winter stuff was going into the attic, and the summer stuff coming into my bedroom.   Now, with this next change of seasons already here, it's time for another purge.

You are motivational; inspiring, even!

For me, the key is being present because I can live in clutter and mess and not consciously notice, though after having read the MK book, I found myself occasionally seeing where I was and saying to myself "Hmm, there's really nothing on this table that needs to be here.  I can toss those papertowels I used under last week's iced tea, that folder of our travel papers can be tossed now that the trip is over, and these three books need to go in the give away pile."  Amazing both how easy it is to live shut down, and how transformative opening my eyes can be.  You all are eye openers!

This is so me. Minus the paper towel thing. I do collect takeout napkins.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2744 on: October 14, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »

Check to see if your library is connected with Hoopla. I could listen to the book instantly on there, rather than get in the long line waiting for the book. It was all a resource connected to my library card.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2745 on: October 14, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »
I need motivation to get on this again. My biggest issue is I don't have a good place to get rid of stuff that really needs to go.  No one takes books, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest half price books!  (And I guess textbooks I just take the cover off and put them into recycling?)

And I have got to get the "baby's room" emptied out. There is an actual deadline on that.

the local library doesn't take books?

sell your textbooks online. Bookscouter connects you with the highest price.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2746 on: October 14, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
I got rid of magazines. I have been getting subscriptions to over 10 different magazines for free. Didn't read a single one of them. Just collecting. Took them to my local library. Cancelled subscriptions online.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2747 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »

Libraries usually take books then sell them as a fundraiser.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2748 on: October 14, 2015, 07:35:24 AM »

Libraries usually take books then sell them as a fundraiser.

Ours will not. They got too much junk so they discontinued accepting any donations; their sale is just old copies of their own books. It just put the onus of getting rid of them on the library.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2749 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
Can you donate the books instead? Goodwill and savers takes books, though I haven't seen textbooks in there.