Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 740456 times)

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2550 on: August 25, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Oh I forgot to add, I'm very proud to say, I said no thank you to my neighbor who was also clearing out clutter.  They were getting rid of a desk, chair, shoe rack, and multiple plastic containers.

Great stuff, but I would have had to clean out more to fit it. Also to be honest I really couldn't use it.  However we did find a neighbor who could, so score all around.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2551 on: August 25, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Sold my Dave Ramsey money makeover stuff for $40. Got a lot of good out of it, and now a new family can too.

Threw away a shoddily constructed, dusty garment bag that has hung on way too long in our basement. Neither of us has used a garment bag in years. Why, O why do I hang on to this crap? It was so good to see it go away!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2552 on: August 26, 2015, 02:40:40 AM »
I made some more progress on clothes. I don't have much to begin with, so I still agonize over some things that MAY be useful later. I still managed to fill a garbage bag for donating pretty full today and started a new one. I dumped all the clothes I could find on my bed and started going through them. Some stuff I hung up in my closet to keep, but after seeing it several times as I hung other things up helped me to  realize that I didn't want some things after all.

Slow, but making progress.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2553 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:21 AM »
Another batch of clothing is in my car and will be brought to the consignment store at lunch today.  I also have a few items to return - I was tempted by a pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack enough to buy them but when I got home and pulled out all of the other fall/winter shoes I already own, I think I need to return them ;-)  Unless I get rid of some of the older pairs that are starting to wear out....

dcheesi

• Bristles
« Reply #2554 on: August 26, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
I "Konmaried" the heck out of my book collection this weekend. I overfilled a huge box with books to donate; I'm going to have to move them into multiple smaller boxes because it's too heavy to lift!

The only issue I ran into is what to do with long book series --do I keep only the books that I particularly liked, or do I keep the whole set? I wound up keeping the more serialized sets (e.g. Dresden Files), and cherry-picking from the ones that are more standalone or broken into sub-series (Discworld, Xanth).

I was also surprised by some of the books that *weren't* there, including the original paperbacks from one of my first fantasy series, with the original artwork. Not sure where those went, but I'm bummed that they're gone :(

former player

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2555 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:32 AM »
Just discovered that my local public library no longer takes donations of books.

Its a cost saving measure, apparently.

Yeah, me too.
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

dcheesi

• Bristles
« Reply #2556 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
I thought the whole point was to re-sell those books for a profit? I guess maybe book fairs aren't doing so well lately?

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2557 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
Our library stopped taking donations.

They got so much junk that it cost them more in employee time in sorting it, and then they had to deal with the disposal, which isn't free.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2558 on: August 26, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Another batch of clothing is in my car and will be brought to the consignment store at lunch today.  I also have a few items to return - I was tempted by a pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack enough to buy them but when I got home and pulled out all of the other fall/winter shoes I already own, I think I need to return them ;-)  Unless I get rid of some of the older pairs that are starting to wear out....

The consignment store took all of my pieces but one.  And I got a check for $130 for items sold previously :-)  I also have a batch of winter stuff that I can bring in after October 1. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2559 on: August 27, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
We have a village fete every year and have decided to stop doing a book stall. We were selling books at 5 for £1, because it was the only way to get rid of them, and last year, at a well attended fete, we made £19 on that stall (the raffle took around £900, for comparison). It takes a lot of effort to lug all the books around, set them up on tables, store donations all year etc, it just wasn't worth it. Used books are readily available and very cheap already. I think the market is saturated.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2560 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing (and have been getting rid of stuff for months), have another big box or so for the thrift shop, and have been Freecycling random things out of the donation box.  All my books are in one bookshelf now and I've already started reading down the unread ones.  By the end of tomorrow, my empty packing boxes and the donation box will all be out of my apartment.

When I put my closet back together I turned all my hangars.  Whatever isn't turned again by Christmas gets a new lease in someone else's closet.  Hello, August.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2561 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Finished two shelves in my kitchen today. Asked the hard questions as to why I was keeping a couple of platters that I don't use only because they were wedding presents. They are now in the pile to donate. Have got DH somewhat on board. There is a small area of his stuff to tackle at some stage, he is getting much better at being ruthless. Got a bit more planned for tomorrow so hopefully I can report more progress then.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2562 on: August 30, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »
I got rid of an unwanted chair yesterday, the person came and collected it from the house too.:)

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2563 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
Alleycat: I was in the same spot with some expensive porcelain dolls, & other collectibles I no longer wanted & really don't bring a lot of $ on ebay. I gave them away to people that were doing silent auction fundraisers for other people to raise $ for medical bills. My items went well at the auctions & I felt good that I had helped someone.   

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2564 on: August 30, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
Got rid of 15 cans of paint that came "free" with our last house. (previous owners couldn't be bothered to pick up their trash!)  I cannot believe we still had those sitting around the garage.

Also got rid of a bit of clutter in the basement.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2565 on: August 30, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
Got rid of a set of sheets/duvet cover.  I realized that the duvet cover doesn't really fit my duvet well so it's going.  I was actually planning to get rid of another set that I haven't used in a while but I put it on yesterday and it is actually very nice.  Much better than the "too small" one.  Also gave my DD's swim backpack to my DD's boyfriend (he's a swim coach so he'll either use it himself or give to some kid on his team).

Just a few items left in the basement and they are not selling on craigslist so I may just donate them instead.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2566 on: August 30, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
This thread inspired me while reading it so went thru my stuff & filled my trunk. I always think that I have done my best & nothing left to de-clutter but still manage to find stuff every time I try.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2567 on: August 30, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
I pulled out 71 books (from our collection of 2500 or so). I love books. But there were quite a few that no longer spoke to me. Also had a lot of books I *ought* to read--I gave myself permission not to read them, ever (unless I want to). I'll take most to the Recycle book store. Anything they don't take gets donated to the library sale.

Plus a 20-volume encyclopedia of gardening that was foisted on me at a yard sale. It's actually worth something. Trying to work up the nerve to sell on eBay for the first time ever.

Posting this to hold myself accountable for actually getting the books out of the house. :)

Added a few more to the pile, and took them ALL to the library for donation. YEAH. Decided it was not worth the effort (this time) to try to sell them at the bookstore; I just wanted them OUT. Also a box of clothes to Goodwill. Then I dusted and straightened up about half of our remaining ~2000 books. They look much brighter and nicer. Now eyeing a few more that I don't think I really ever want to read.

Culled out some boring glass vases, broken mugs, mugs from the company I used to work for, a mug from the apartment complex I moved to in 1989. A few old family knickknacks that were sent to me because no one else wanted them. Guess what--neither do I. That made room in the display cabinet for some cups I really like but that were hidden away and never got used.

It's like giving away  seven bags of bad feelings.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2568 on: August 30, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
I pulled out 71 books (from our collection of 2500 or so). I love books. But there were quite a few that no longer spoke to me. Also had a lot of books I *ought* to read--I gave myself permission not to read them, ever (unless I want to). I'll take most to the Recycle book store. Anything they don't take gets donated to the library sale.

Plus a 20-volume encyclopedia of gardening that was foisted on me at a yard sale. It's actually worth something. Trying to work up the nerve to sell on eBay for the first time ever.

Posting this to hold myself accountable for actually getting the books out of the house. :)

Added a few more to the pile, and took them ALL to the library for donation. YEAH. Decided it was not worth the effort (this time) to try to sell them at the bookstore; I just wanted them OUT. Also a box of clothes to Goodwill. Then I dusted and straightened up about half of our remaining ~2000 books. They look much brighter and nicer. Now eyeing a few more that I don't think I really ever want to read.

Culled out some boring glass vases, broken mugs, mugs from the company I used to work for, a mug from the apartment complex I moved to in 1989. A few old family knickknacks that were sent to me because no one else wanted them. Guess what--neither do I. That made room in the display cabinet for some cups I really like but that were hidden away and never got used.

Wow, 2,000 is A Lot of books. You cut down from 2,500?
So I'm curious to know more about these books. What sort of books, have you read most of them, how you came to hav them, etc.
I've always been an avid reader (and collecter) as well, but recently cut back to approx 30 ( with a lot of encouragement from this thread and gauntlet called Read your Bookshelves ). A few years ago I must hav had 300+ and steadily dwindling.

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2569 on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:14 PM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.
Oh, I can. I live in a small space and keep my gift-wrapping supplies, winter clothes, future gifts and so on in boxes. Another holds my tools (hammer and screwdrivers can live on your bookshelf if you just put them in a pretty box). I'd say my single most usefull tip for small-space living is this: put all items relating to task/hobby A into a box you can easily lift down when needed and replace on it's shelf in a jiffy. My whole "office" is a box. Same with my "hobby room".
Of course! I meant kept in boxes in storage over a long time. I also have things in boxes. Winter clothing and so on. It is a good idea to invest in really good plastic boxes with snap on lids. Then mice can't get there and it does not smell.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2570 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
It's a bank holiday today so I'm going to go through our two DIY boxes to see what I can get rid of as I know we haven't touched them in months apart from to get out an energy efficient light bulb.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2571 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:53 AM »

Yes.

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2572 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:04 AM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing (and have been getting rid of stuff for months), have another big box or so for the thrift shop, and have been Freecycling random things out of the donation box.  All my books are in one bookshelf now and I've already started reading down the unread ones.  By the end of tomorrow, my empty packing boxes and the donation box will all be out of my apartment.

When I put my closet back together I turned all my hangars.  Whatever isn't turned again by Christmas gets a new lease in someone else's closet.  Hello, August.

This is great!  Congratulations!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2573 on: August 31, 2015, 09:32:36 AM »
I didn't find anything to declutter today in the DIY boxes as my hub says we need everything there. Annoying.:(

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #2574 on: August 31, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
Selling something today and making $$.  I LOVE getting rid of stuff.

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2575 on: August 31, 2015, 12:53:46 PM »
For those of you who like the Raptitude blog, his latest post is all about decluttering.

http://www.raptitude.com/2015/08/konmari/
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2576 on: August 31, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
Raptitude is great!

Rosy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2577 on: August 31, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »
^^^ great article on raptitude - I have been waiting for that Kon Mari book for two months now. I'm digging in my heels and waiting for it to arrive from the library - one of these days. I will not buy it, until I know it will click with me.
Meanwhile, I am stuck - just stuck, looking at the damn paper clutter boxes and feeling bad and inept, every time I look at them.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2578 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
I konmaried most of my house and the feeling has been great. I'm now sorting the gift box. This is a box where I keep generic gifts and toys for last minute gifts and toys. Having the box saves me so much time and effort in not having to worry about getting gifts. I regularly use the gifts from the box and replenish them as well. Once this challenge started I've been gifting exclusively from the gift box. Though I've made a dent I've got a long way to go. How do I konmari the gift box? All are good useful things but they don't bring me joy. But since they are not meant for me, do they have to give me joy to be in the house? Seems very confusing to me :(

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2579 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »

Wow, 2,000 is A Lot of books. You cut down from 2,500?
So I'm curious to know more about these books. What sort of books, have you read most of them, how you came to hav them, etc.
I've always been an avid reader (and collecter) as well, but recently cut back to approx 30 ( with a lot of encouragement from this thread and gauntlet called Read your Bookshelves ). A few years ago I must hav had 300+ and steadily dwindling.

My husband and I both read a lot and both are book people. I love books. Many books I have read (and re-read) are like old friends to me. I rarely get rid of books (until now). It doesn't bother me to have a lot of books, if they carry good feelings.

My husband has a lot of 20th-century US literature, from classes he took, and math books. I have a lot of dictionaries and word books. We have a ton of books for learning foreign languages. We both really want to learn more languages when we aren't working so much.  I have lots of old medical books. History. Politics. Sociology. Memoirs. Fiction. English. References of all kinds. Etc.

The funny thing is, I am ALSO an avid user of the library. I haven't bought more than a fraction of all the books I've actually read.

The books I'm discarding now are generally ones that I felt I *should* read, or should have read, or that I wish I had read back when I was interested in the subject--they create in me feelings of guilt, of falling short, and so on. Books that I feel I must preserve as a duty to my past, or my parents' or grandparents' past.

I'm not trying to be minimalist. My goal for now is to purge the things that actually make me feel *bad*.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2580 on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »
I konmaried most of my house and the feeling has been great. I'm now sorting the gift box. This is a box where I keep generic gifts and toys for last minute gifts and toys. Having the box saves me so much time and effort in not having to worry about getting gifts. I regularly use the gifts from the box and replenish them as well. Once this challenge started I've been gifting exclusively from the gift box. Though I've made a dent I've got a long way to go. How do I konmari the gift box? All are good useful things but they don't bring me joy. But since they are not meant for me, do they have to give me joy to be in the house? Seems very confusing to me :(

They allow you to experience the joy of giving gifts easily and spontaneously?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2581 on: September 01, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »
I have a truck coming to pick up thrift store donations Sept 8th -- a great way to get me moving on decluttering!

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2582 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:52 AM »
I have a gift box as well as the "trimmings": cards, envelopes, gifttags and wrapping paper, on hand at all times. While they do not exactly give me joy they do provide me with calm. I've done the "running around in panic" trying to get gift together for a family who are all of the type to invite me saturday night for a birthday party on sunday afternoon. And backup gifts makes me verry, verry happy when that invite comes.

So perhaps your gift box is the same? Either in regards to stress saved, money saved, time saved or worry saved the fact that you have them on hand gives you a positive feeling?

I continue the tidying of old things left at my parents house. Went through my (large) collection of cuddly toys this weekend. Kept only a select few. Also keeping good-quality toys that will last another generation or 3. Next out is clothes. So hard since a lot of the clothes I wore were hand-made my my grandmother. She was a great seamstress, but the clothes still are outdated. And also they make me fell fuzzily happy just to look at. Oh, well...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2583 on: September 01, 2015, 03:43:02 AM »
I threw away some toiletries as they were used up. I'm decluttering some hair later, getting a haircut.:P

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2584 on: September 01, 2015, 05:55:30 AM »
Threw out an old medicine (expired) and put six more books in the donate pile (books continue to be my single biggest struggle).

Now to figure out how to get four giant bags of stuff to the donation center 2 miles away... without a car! (Maybe I'll hit up a driver friend in exchange for making him/her dinner.)

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2585 on: September 01, 2015, 06:07:21 AM »

I'll let David from Raptitude speak for me (from the article above).

Quote from: David Cain
The process isn’t perfect. You find a lot of things that you need to keep, yet spark no joy. To help address this I keep a running list of things I eventually want to replace with a more pleasing version.
[...]
It’s easy to forget about the joy criterion once you’re in the middle of it, and slip back into asking “Should I keep this or not?” which is not the same question as “Does it spark joy?” If you forget what you're doing, you might end up keeping things because you think you should, or because they are “worth something”, or because you “might need it”, and suddenly you're getting nowhere but not realizing it. Trust the process, and don’t forget the purpose. The real benefits are emotional, and so the process is all about assessing your emotional relationship to each thing.
[...]
Probably the most common reason people keep things they’re not using is because they “have value”— meaning they once cost money. But the real value in things is the experience they create for us. Even things with a monetary value can lower the quality of our experience in a lot of ways, by making us feel guilty, taking up space, or keeping us preoccupied with goals we’re not really committed to. And the money is already gone anyway. The important question is always “What does it feel like to own this?”
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2586 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:31 AM »
Our old microwave (our house came with a new one) went to Goodwill.
I had a buyer but they flaked for 3 days and so I said screw it!

I wanted to take it to the consignment shop (it works great, is clean and looks fine) but they said only if it was less than 3 years old.  That seems insanely brand new.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2587 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

Do those generic gifts give joy to the recipient?  Do they nod a smile politely then put it in their thrift store donation box? Is there a way you can change your gift giving to make less clutter for both you and the recipient? 

Consumable gifts?  Experiential gifts?

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2588 on: September 01, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Do those generic gifts give joy to the recipient?  Do they nod a smile politely then put it in their thrift store donation box? Is there a way you can change your gift giving to make less clutter for both you and the recipient? 

Almost all gifts give the recipients joy. Most of them are toys or books - I try to get educational ones but some kids prefer the noise blasting ones. It definitely saves me time and effort and running around at the last minute. I guess I'll cull out down to a smaller box and stop at that!!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2589 on: September 01, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »

Almost all gifts give the recipients joy. Most of them are toys or books - I try to get educational ones but some kids prefer the noise blasting ones. It definitely saves me time and effort and running around at the last minute. I guess I'll cull out down to a smaller box and stop at that!!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2590 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
I did some kondo'ing of the sentimental stuff today.  So I am sending a small Ming tree, I think it is called, to the thrift store.  It was from my grandpa who died 20 years ago.  I have other things from him and grandma.  Little ornaments that I still enjoy and that spark joy.

So far I've sent 2 grocery store bags to the thrift store with at least 2 more to go.  My bedroom closet looks great. 

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2591 on: September 01, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »
This Saturday I will be taking as much stuff as I can to the Germantown Park n Ride flea market. It it will fit in my 2009 Honda Fit, I am going to try to sell it.
I do this with a friend. What does not sell will be donated to the WARL thrift shop. If you are a DC area resident and find yourself there, stop by and say hi. Look for two women and the cutest dog ever!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 388 days until Freedom!
« Reply #2592 on: September 02, 2015, 05:56:02 AM »
Took about 8 boxes of stuff to the thrift store yesterday.  This included some t-shirts, candles, mugs, glasses, cassette tapes, placemats, crockery, and other random kitchen stuff.  I also took another box of books (6 total this summer) to the library.  My house feels better!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  388 days (1 year, 23 days)

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2593 on: September 02, 2015, 06:28:32 AM »
Another 270€ worth of LEGO waiting to go to the post. :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2594 on: September 03, 2015, 02:52:32 AM »
Still plodding on. I cannot believe there is still stuff that needs to go. I am now up to 1500 items out of the house this year.

I've also used up a few things which were bugging me - an eyeliner I loved and didn't want to finish because it has been discontinued, a handcream which was too greasy, and some reels of thread which were bad quality. It felt good to finish and discard of the remainders of those things (they don't go on my checklist by the way. Only things I throw away or donate, not stuff that gets used up).

I am down to three bottles of shampoo (that sounds like loads, I know, but I used to have three or four on the go at once, AND ones in stock). I am feeling kind of anxious because one is very low, and another is a tiny bottle. But I will wait until I am down to two before restocking. Yes, it would be nice to only use one, but I have sensitive skin, and too much of one thing leads to eczema, unfortunately.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2595 on: September 03, 2015, 03:31:56 AM »
I am using up the last of my bath salts tonight, I won't buy that brand again as they were quite crap.

I threw away some handles, they were handles to the cat carriers I have but I never use them so out they went.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2597 on: September 05, 2015, 05:44:28 AM »
Still plodding on. I cannot believe there is still stuff that needs to go. I am now up to 1500 items out of the house this year.

Wow! Well done.

But I will wait until I am down to two before restocking. Yes, it would be nice to only use one, but I have sensitive skin, and too much of one thing leads to eczema, unfortunately.

Oh yes, I know this well. I have a variety of different sunscreens in the cupboard because I will often get a rash on my face if I use the same one too many days in a row (it's not eczema - just stupidly sensitive skin). Going without sunscreen in summer is not an option in Oz.

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2598 on: September 05, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing
Good for you. It sounds like you are freeing a lot of blocked energy!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2599 on: September 05, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
At the flea market today I made $33, had a delightful day with a friend and her cute dog, and got rid of about 50 things! Win, win, win!