Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 772960 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2500 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
I got rid of six trash bags worth of crap yesterday. I've told the gf that I want us to get rid of 5 boxes/trash bags a month if not more, for the next 12 months.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2501 on: August 19, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
Gave some furniture polish and light globes to my mum. Both relate to items I no longer own (broken lamps and a wooden chair) but will be appreciated by her. 3 more items out.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #2502 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
I've been a fairly ruthless declutterer for a few years now (I'm a big fan of Brooks Palmer - his blog and books were literally life changing for me). And you know that fear of throwing something out and then needing it again in the future? Well, I finally hit ONE thing that I regretted getting rid of, and that was floss sticks that DH bought for me when I couldn't use my hands properly for a few weeks a few years ago. I needed them last week post-surgery when again I couldn't really use either hand for a few days.

But really, that's been it out of everything I've gotten rid of.

tl;dr: be brave and ruthless! You won't regret it.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #2503 on: August 20, 2015, 02:08:56 AM »
Another bag of clothes ready to go out. My wardrobe is looking pretty lean right now.

I found a home for my 2 bags of books that have been sitting around for a few weeks. A local animal charity (that does low cost vet care/de-sexing street cats and dogs) is doing a book sale so those will go to a good cause.

I looked through my winter stuff but there is not much to throw out. We live in Asia so any winter gear gets used for max two weeks a year. It will last forever at this rate!

I have some DVDs to go out next.

Some random stuff like an old laptop and a pair of prescription glasses needs to find a home next. I don't throw out much here as the need for everything is so very dire. It takes me a bit longer but I always find a place that really wants the stuff and that is nice :)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2504 on: August 20, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
Decent progress this week. Took a bag of fall clothes to the consignment shop, sold a few items on eBay, and tidied all my sewing and office supplies, donating or tossing a good portion. My photo scanning project continues...I love the ScanSnap which is a document scanner but you can also feed stacks of photos through it. I've scanned and discarded about 2,500 photos and have a few hundred left to go. One big item left to declutter is a collectible car, but so far no buyer. I'm thinking it might behoove me to have it inspected by a mechanic, to give buyers extra confidence.

FunkyStickman

• Bristles
    • I Follow The Architect
« Reply #2505 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »
Decent progress this week. Took a bag of fall clothes to the consignment shop, sold a few items on eBay, and tidied all my sewing and office supplies, donating or tossing a good portion. My photo scanning project continues...I love the ScanSnap which is a document scanner but you can also feed stacks of photos through it. I've scanned and discarded about 2,500 photos and have a few hundred left to go. One big item left to declutter is a collectible car, but so far no buyer. I'm thinking it might behoove me to have it inspected by a mechanic, to give buyers extra confidence.

Scanning photos/docs is a Godsend.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities." - Mark Twain

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2506 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
I have gotten rid of alot of stuff Before and have a pretty minimalistic household. However one storage was left where we had som boxes that needed sorting. So I did it last night. It felt great. I will be able to sell alot of textbooks from University I will never use again. Some I will discard and a few I will bring into the Bookshelf.

This is a great stoarge with around 10 degrees celcius during the Winter. I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there. Some clothes as well for seasonal storage. I will also move my gun cabinet there, don't really need my shotgun in the house.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2507 on: August 21, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
I have gotten rid of alot of stuff Before and have a pretty minimalistic household. However one storage was left where we had som boxes that needed sorting. So I did it last night. It felt great. I will be able to sell alot of textbooks from University I will never use again. Some I will discard and a few I will bring into the Bookshelf.

This is a great stoarge with around 10 degrees celcius during the Winter. I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there. Some clothes as well for seasonal storage. I will also move my gun cabinet there, don't really need my shotgun in the house.

"I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there."
This must be a slip;)

Shinplaster

• Pencil Stache
  • The ghost in the corner
« Reply #2508 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I would love to have a storage place to keep my pain.  : )

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2509 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I know!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2510 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I know!

Or better yet, donate? Or acceptable to trash ? Hahaha

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2511 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Well you never know egen you need pain. Or paint as keep there :)

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2512 on: August 21, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »
Well you never know egen you need pain. Or paint as keep there :)

I just went through some old paint, and also tried to paint my dog house with some of it. It was not easy, and it doesn't look good.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2513 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
What was wrong with it?

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2514 on: August 21, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
What was wrong with it?

It was chunky. The enamel (I'm assuming) solidified.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2515 on: August 21, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
To bad. I use only few color outside. All the details on my house is black. Windowframes, fence and so on. I just use same paint for all of it, then it wont have time to go bad.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2516 on: August 21, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »
To bad. I use only few color outside. All the details on my house is black. Windowframes, fence and so on. I just use same paint for all of it, then it wont have time to go bad.

I only use two colors outside. All of the thrown away paint (or used in the dog run) was before my time, but was fine for all of the colors around. I didn't even think about how long it takes for paint to go bad.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2517 on: August 21, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »

Scanning photos/docs is a Godsend.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

It's a 1969 Mercedes sedan with 6 cylinder gas engine, automatic transmission. Has low miles and we're the second owners.

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: August 22, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2519 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2520 on: August 22, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.

I have a big box of sports and fitness things I really need to sort through. I dig through it every now and then when I need something specific, but not that often. I fear it will be hard to get rid of most of the things in the box, even though I don't use them enough.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2521 on: August 22, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
Got rid of the glider our realtor gave us.
It's been in the garage since we put it away last winter.
Just not our style.

Goal is to get rid of at least 20 things this weekends, so 19 to go.
I imagine the rest will be much smaller!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2522 on: August 22, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
*Got rid of a stack of old printed off recipes from the internet (from the 90's!)

*Put away homeschool books not being used this year and gave away ones that we have outgrown and won't use again

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2523 on: August 22, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »
I pulled out 71 books (from our collection of 2500 or so). I love books. But there were quite a few that no longer spoke to me. Also had a lot of books I *ought* to read--I gave myself permission not to read them, ever (unless I want to). I'll take most to the Recycle book store. Anything they don't take gets donated to the library sale.

Plus a 20-volume encyclopedia of gardening that was foisted on me at a yard sale. It's actually worth something. Trying to work up the nerve to sell on eBay for the first time ever.

Posting this to hold myself accountable for actually getting the books out of the house. :)

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2524 on: August 23, 2015, 03:02:59 AM »
A change in personal circumstances is giving me motivation to have another clean out of the stuff that I 'store'
This time hopefully with an even more practical approach to what I will actually use in the future or not!
Now to try and find some time to tackle this. (Part of the stuff is stored in a room that we have a guest in intermittently at present. Its week on / week off, so I have to work round this, or dump everything in the lounge) Wish me luck

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2525 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:46 AM »

Oh they weren't in boxes, they were just packed into boxes to ship. ;)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2526 on: August 23, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
Husband did a major garage cleaning!  YAY!

We sold his mountain bike. He said "just see if someone on freecycle will take it"- I told him, I'm going to list it on my buy & sell for $50 and see what happens. Him: No one is going to pay $50 for a bike on the internet.  Within 3 minutes I had an offer for $40 and within an hour it was gone.

The sad part: the bench we gave away to a neighbor is sitting in the driveway, he is picking it up tonight.  The woman who picked up the bike asked us if it was for sale. I told husband we should try selling that, and he didn't think it was worth selling.

Oh well, we've benefited from neighborhood kindness, so giving some things away is probably good.

But the trashcan overflowth!

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #2527 on: August 23, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »
I joined a local trading group on Facebook and traded an old foam mattress, a laptop case on wheels that I've never used and a dress that was given to me by a friend that has never fit. In return I now have about 8 blocks of delicious chocolate!

I brought two blocks as my contribution to supper at my choir rehearsal and one block into work as my contribution to the snack jar; saving me money that I would have spent finding something to bring in.

I think I may be getting addicted to trading, soon I'll have no furniture, but I will have a s**tload of chocolate!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2528 on: August 23, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
I joined a local trading group on Facebook and traded an old foam mattress, a laptop case on wheels that I've never used and a dress that was given to me by a friend that has never fit. In return I now have about 8 blocks of delicious chocolate!

I brought two blocks as my contribution to supper at my choir rehearsal and one block into work as my contribution to the snack jar; saving me money that I would have spent finding something to bring in.

I think I may be getting addicted to trading, soon I'll have no furniture, but I will have a s**tload of chocolate!

Sounds like a great tradeoff to me! And perfect for your contributions.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2529 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
Several more books out.
BTW, has anyone else noticed how wildly popular this thread is? There are pages and pages and pages of posts! I'd say this gauntlet has been a success.

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2530 on: August 23, 2015, 11:36:15 PM »
Selling LEGO does have it's highs.
I just sold a single minifigure for 22.50.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2531 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:49 AM »
BTW, has anyone else noticed how wildly popular this thread is? There are pages and pages and pages of posts! I'd say this gauntlet has been a success.

Haha, yes, and I'm rather proud of starting this thread. :p :D

I haven't been active in these parts lately, as I did get rid of quite a lot of stuff when I moved interstate last year, but I'm looking around now and there are definitely still things that I can clear out, so I might try to get back into this!

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2532 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:51 AM »

Oh, I can. I live in a small space and keep my gift-wrapping supplies, winter clothes, future gifts and so on in boxes. Another holds my tools (hammer and screwdrivers can live on your bookshelf if you just put them in a pretty box). I'd say my single most usefull tip for small-space living is this: put all items relating to task/hobby A into a box you can easily lift down when needed and replace on it's shelf in a jiffy. My whole "office" is a box. Same with my "hobby room".

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2533 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »

Haha, yes, and I'm rather proud of starting this thread. :p :D

I haven't been active in these parts lately, as I did get rid of quite a lot of stuff when I moved interstate last year, but I'm looking around now and there are definitely still things that I can clear out, so I might try to get back into this!
Limeandpepper, my goal is to 'graduate' from this thread and never need it again! If you haven't needed to come here, you're doing well :)

A handbag and a filofax sold on Ebay over the weekend. The handbag was a nice brand, and I thought it would sell well. Went for 5. The Filofax I wasn't even going to list, because, errrrr, who still uses a filofax? Went for 40!!! I just can't predict what will sell.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2534 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:51 AM »
I've just collected another bag of clothes to donate. I was keeping some nightwear that I really won't use so it can be used for recycling.

I just went through the fridge and had to get rid of a bit of houmous and I froze some leftover olives. Hopefully they can go into a pasta dish or something.:P

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2535 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Spent the weekend at my parents, and did oh so much on Saturday. I hurt now, but it's worth it. End results:

-30 yr old nonworking fridge out of the garage and into the trash
-gigantic window a/c that came from somewhere and ended up in the attic in the trash
-Bunch of trash from the garage is now in the trash.
-The 20+ containers of various fluids are sorted out. The ones to keep are neat in milk crates, ready to be put on the new shelving once I go back and fix up the garage. There's a giant pile of all sorts of stuff to go to hazardous waste pickup or habitat for humanity
-2 bags of top soil are spread out where they were intended to go, last year.
-1 bag of cobblestones are spread out where they were intended to go, 10 years ago.
-one car load (trunk and backseat), packed tetris-style, taken to Salvation Army.

It was too hot in the attic to work, so the stuff up there can stay until it cools off some.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2536 on: August 24, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »
-one car load (trunk and backseat), packed tetris-style, taken to Salvation Army.

Is there another way to pack?
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

MountainGal

• Stubble
« Reply #2537 on: August 24, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Awesome thread!  I'm  in.  :D

This weekend I sifted through 2 dresser drawers because they were so stuffed attempting to find something specific was becoming rather frustrating.  I am going to donate numerous items, tossed several more, and put several old, clean socks into the rag pile.  I halfheartedly skimmed through two more drawers.  They'll have to wait.

I'm going to start a used DVD/VHS drive for our local VA home via Facebook.  We have hundreds of movies.  Now, to get DH on board....

From the pantry I finished the last of the almond flour, and from the freezer 3 overripe bananas.  The former went into breakfast pizzas, and the latter into banana bread.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2538 on: August 24, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

Yeah, if you're not short of space you just stack stuff right way up, leaving empty space between things that aren't perfect squares. I took 'Tetris-style' to mean things in upside down, stuff rotated to make sure every gap is filled. Ie, the car was totally packed full of stuff, as opposed to a 'full' car load, which, with stuff just right way up, would contain a lot of empty space or air.

Britan

• Stubble
« Reply #2539 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
I started the process of kondo'ing my stuff in the apartment this weekend, and got through clothes, books and papers before the puppy woke up. All attention has to go to him when he's up and on the carpet though, so I've got misc. stuff and mementos/photos to go!

This weekend I got rid of:
* 1 shirt (now 13 including work out clothes)
* 1 pair of pants/shorts (now 7 including work-out clothes)
* 2 "hanging items" (now 13)
* 16 socks/stockings (now 7)
* 0 bags (now 2)
* 3 accessories (scarves) (now 8)
* 1 bathing suit and 1 set of pajamas (now 1 set of each)
* 2 shoes (now 6)

This includes clothes and shoes, etc. for all seasons, so now my whole wardrobe fits in less than half my studio apartment closet, and I don't need any "off season storage".

* 2 books (now have 4)
* Like SO many papers omigosh I don't even guys.

I'm so happy, now that I've gone through my stuff, that I remembered which outfits I love and started wearing them more, and which books I love, and made a point to display and start reading them again!

I am dreading the next category... I have so much miscellaneous stuff spread out in disparate places. Next time I get a couple hours to myself, I'm going to tackle electrical equipment (game systems, cameras, etc), household equipment (sewing stuff), and household supplies (TP, paper towels, my 17+ bottles of different cleaning solutions I somehow have). Board games could be its own category...
One person pretends to be rich, yet has nothing;
    another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2540 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »

Yeah, if you're not short of space you just stack stuff right way up, leaving empty space between things that aren't perfect squares. I took 'Tetris-style' to mean things in upside down, stuff rotated to make sure every gap is filled. Ie, the car was totally packed full of stuff, as opposed to a 'full' car load, which, with stuff just right way up, would contain a lot of empty space or air.

Ah, I've read about this "not short of space" thing. :) Makes sense though. I never actually thought of packing any other method. Thanks for the clarification. Oh, fun fact: I just recently learned that you aren't supposed to do that with refrigerators.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2541 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »

You are correct. The sad thing is that they have enough to fill a small moving truck, minimum that will have to be gotten rid of eventually. That's what 20 years in one place will do to you, even if you're not a hoarder.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:28 AM »

Ah, I've read about this "not short of space" thing. :) Makes sense though. I never actually thought of packing any other method. Thanks for the clarification. Oh, fun fact: I just recently learned that you aren't supposed to do that with refrigerators.

You're welcome :) I didn't know that about refrigerators - is it because you need air flow around items? I've always thought freezers were more efficient when they were full, and obviously transplanted that information and assumed it applied to 'fridges as well.

DrSweden

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2543 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »
I really like the decluttering process. I have been doing it for the last two years or so. I really shows in my waredrobe. I have given away jackets and some pants that did not fit. T-shirts I kept because I used them for training and so in. But now they start to fall apart and are being replaced as well. I will only have T-shirts in White and navy blue.

The garage is the only Place where I don't declutter as aggressive. I have alot of thing from the former owners as Nails, screws and so on. I am keeping the best stuff because it gets used on a regular basis.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2544 on: August 25, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »

You're welcome :) I didn't know that about refrigerators - is it because you need air flow around items? I've always thought freezers were more efficient when they were full, and obviously transplanted that information and assumed it applied to 'fridges as well.

Freezers are more efficient when full.  Fridges, as you said, need airflow.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2545 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »
I love reading everyone's decluttering, it always keeps me inspired and pushing forward.  Did anyone declutter collectibles such as Lenox porcelain dolls and dept 56 Christmas houses?  I have a boatload and really don't want to go the ebay or craiglist route.  I have called a couple of consignment shops but they didn't seem interested and the ones that were, were not paying upfront.  I would rather get paid upfront and have that be the end.  No one seems to want this type of stuff anymore.  Any ideas anyone can share?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2546 on: August 25, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
I culled out another round of books, clothes and various items around the house and took them to goodwill or gave to any family member that was interested.  Slowly but surely, I am getting through some stuff. Although, sometimes I have half a mind to just donate it all.  I have been decluttering for about 9 years now and just getting tired of it all. I am not a hoarder but, boy, was I a shopper. 

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2547 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »
A phrase has been on repeat in my head for a while:

If you wouldn't buy it today, get rid of it.

I just listed a bunch of stuff on Kijiji that I haven't used in years.

Traditional archery gear. I wouldn't use this particular gear if I had the choice; I may consider different gear. (Asiatic longbow, crossbow)
Paintball gear - half sold so far. Friends have enough to outfit a team.
Camping gear.SOLD! I like air-conditioning, WiFi, and not being bitten by bugs. Plus, friends have gear I can use since I'll probably camp with them, not solo. If solo, I'd need a much smaller tent anyway.
Sofa bed. (guests can use an air-mattress, for the few of them I ever have)

I have no "knick knacks" in my home so there's not a heck of a lot to actually downsize.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:49:16 AM by cjottawa »

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2548 on: August 25, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »

As Iowajes mentioned, Freezers are more efficient when full. There are people around here (and other places) that throw in gallon jugs of water to ensure that the efficiency is met. Also, freezers that open from the top are more efficient than stand up units. I had an energy audit done, and borrowed the IR goggles to see what happened when I opened the freezer. All the cold air just fell out. What I was referring to was transporting fridges. I just got a new one (a bit ago) and wanted to lay it down. The freon or refrigerant doesn't do well laying down, at least as fridges are designed.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2549 on: August 25, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
Purged a bookcase and got rid over over 1/2 of the books to donate to the local library.  Also have about 1 bag of clothes to donate.