Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 772975 times)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2450 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »
Had a sudden realisation today of some cosmetics that went missing last time I moved house and felt sad I dont have them anymore. I managed to nitbthink of them for over a year and now urgh... I hope I don't feel like that about stuff I decluttered, although today I had another regret (namely, why did I toss out my only track pants even though they were threadbare and covered I. Paint stains. It's really cold today**!!) Two steps forward a quarter of an inch back???

Sounds like the track pants needed to go regardless, and maybe you'll decide that you should replace them.  If you replace 2% of what you throw out, you're still ahead.  Re the cosmetics, if it took you a year to think about them, I don't think they're truly missed, but if they are, then consider it a learning opportunity to hone your decluttering muscles, in knowing what you will and won't regret tossing.
Thanks. Yeah, I think the trackies deserve to be replaced after a decade of faithful service. Tossing before replacing may not have been the smartest thing in this particular instance. I am gonna sit on the cosmetics and resist the urge to replace immediately. If I still want them in a week or two I will replace them (I have hit a cycle of swearing louder makeup again). It did send a strong message to me that one you bring something into your life, even though you may view it as a "one time purchase" there can be a hedonic adaptation thing that effectively makes it an ongoing purchase. So this will make more wary of bringing new items into my life.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2451 on: August 10, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
DD cleaned out her bathroom cabinet yesterday and tossed some almost empty shampoo bottles, hair products and expired meds.  She reorganized the rest of her stuff using an extension shelf I used to have in my closet but didn't need any more.

I haven't done any real decluttering lately (although I started another Goodwill bag with the clothes that the consignment store rejected).  I'd like to focus on it again but may wait until DD is gone back to university in September. 

I have unraveled a cashmere sweater and salvaged the yarn for a future knitting project.  I also washed and repaired the slipcovers I have on a couple of chairs in the kitchen.  My cat uses the chairs as her scratching posts (ugh, I have tried everything but I don't know how to stop her from doing that!) so there were a lot of pulls, loose threads and small holes on the sides.  And lots of cat hair!  I was prepared to just throw them out but I thought I would give cleaning them a try first.  The instructions said they are dry clean only but I washed them on delicate, hang them up to dry and ironed them.  I trimmed all the loose threads and darned the holes.  They look good!  Now, if I can only train the cat not to scratch them!
I have had pretty strong success putting my cat's scratching post exactly in front of my $800 couch that she likes to scratch. With the post just there she will use it instead. The second the post moves a metre away she will go for the couch. Cats are weird.

I tried a variety of scratching posts, pads, etc.  I had a scratching post right in front of the chair in the kitchen. She completely ignores all that stuff and goes after the chairs, the couch and the rugs on the floor...  Otherwise, she is an awesome cat so I usually just make a loud noise if I catch her in the act (clap my hands and yell NO!) and forgive her ;-)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2452 on: August 10, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

I have had pretty strong success putting my cat's scratching post exactly in front of my $800 couch that she likes to scratch. With the post just there she will use it instead. The second the post moves a metre away she will go for the couch. Cats are weird.

It's like how people will use a trash can right in front of them, but won't walk 15 feet to one they can clearly see.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2453 on: August 10, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
I just googled Kondo and saw a video of her folding a sock drawer. The fact that all the things in it were not the same height REALLY bothered me.

I guess DH's anal retentive folding has finally got me.  Even though laundry has always been my chore, he made me change how I folded things to meet his expectations. To be fair, his way is pretty good.  I can't use the exact same folds on men's clothes as women's clothes though, because the end result has to be that all the things are the same dimensions in the drawer.

Now the only thing I won't fold is my underwear. I did for awhile and decided life is too short. I still fold his, I don't think I could get away with just throwing them in the drawer.

You are much more tolerant than me! My attitude would be that if he was so particular about how the clothes were folded than he could do the laundry himself.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2454 on: August 10, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
This is a great thread!    My daughter is moving out in September and my son is 2 years behind her.   I want to start decluttering so that we'll be ready to go.

I listened to Marie Kondo's book over the last 2 weeks (audiobook on my commute to work).   At first I thought she was nuts - folding underwear and socks?    But her other ideas are excellent.    If it doesn't 'bring you joy' why are you keeping it?     (Well my tools don't really bring me joy, but I keep them so I don't have to pay people to do trivial jobs.)

I donated 4 boxes of books to the library today (8 cubic feet down, how many to go?)   I can't believe it feels good!   I've had some of those books for 30 years.   And I haven't used them for 30 years either.    We actually have empty shelf space on 2 of our bookcases now.

I'm finding this change easy because I've always been a little obsessive/compulsive about being organized.    DW not so much.   Any ideas on how to get her engaged in this process?

Just do your thing. As change becomes noticeable, then she may decide on her own to get involved. You can also try putting the Kondo book on tape on when she's home and you're working. May help inspire her.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2455 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
DD cleaned out her bathroom cabinet yesterday and tossed some almost empty shampoo bottles, hair products and expired meds.  She reorganized the rest of her stuff using an extension shelf I used to have in my closet but didn't need any more.

I haven't done any real decluttering lately (although I started another Goodwill bag with the clothes that the consignment store rejected).  I'd like to focus on it again but may wait until DD is gone back to university in September. 

I have unraveled a cashmere sweater and salvaged the yarn for a future knitting project.  I also washed and repaired the slipcovers I have on a couple of chairs in the kitchen.  My cat uses the chairs as her scratching posts (ugh, I have tried everything but I don't know how to stop her from doing that!) so there were a lot of pulls, loose threads and small holes on the sides.  And lots of cat hair!  I was prepared to just throw them out but I thought I would give cleaning them a try first.  The instructions said they are dry clean only but I washed them on delicate, hang them up to dry and ironed them.  I trimmed all the loose threads and darned the holes.  They look good!  Now, if I can only train the cat not to scratch them!

The cat may like the rope or carpet posts. May like horizontal vs vertical. May not like the current location of legal scratching targets. You  need to experiment to see what will work out. And it can change with age. My older cat never liked horizontal, but I just got one from my mom and it's a huge hit now.

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2456 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
Got my first bag from ThredUp. Put clothes in it, sealed it, and put it out on the porch for pickup. Suddenly realized I had left out some of the main things I wanted to get rid of. Grabbed the bag and brought it back inside. The items left out are the ones that will probably bring the most $, so I don't want to forget them. I just got so excited last night I forgot. :)

If I open the bag and reseal it with tape, does anyone know if ThredUp will still accept it? Or do I need to order a new kit?

norabird

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2457 on: August 10, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
NLB, I bet they'll still take it. I'm waiting on a kit now--does it fit a lot?

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2458 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:13 PM »
NLB, I bet they'll still take it. I'm waiting on a kit now--does it fit a lot?

Yes, it's a *huge* bag.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2459 on: August 10, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

I had a log sitting on a scrap of carpet for my cat.  About 95% of the time she'd go out of her way to use the log and leave my furniture alone.  It was a log with bark still on it, completely dried and without pesky bugs.  I think I dried it in a garage for a year or so before bringing it inside.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #2460 on: August 10, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Okay, I read the Kondo book and then Kondoed our dresser. I blame all of you.

Do you love that it looks like a box of jelly beans now? I am ridiculously gleeful every time I open a drawer, post KonMari.  :-D
I recognise this so much! Yesterday evening I just had to grin when I opened my nightwear drawer, which is now folded KonMari style. It is such a change, I am quite surprised about the effect it has.

it's nice, right? i'm living out of a suitcase now, so rolling makes more sense than rectangular folding (not enough vertical space), but still, i think the impact is the same. every time i look in my suitcase, i feel tidy and pleased, and i know where everything is.

my only trouble is that a lot of my wardrobe is black (mostly tops) and they can be hard to distinguish from each other at a glance.
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2461 on: August 11, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »
Two more books out.
I might add, books are a hard one for me too. But its gotten easier. I bagan reading through my stock ( inspired by another gauntlet ) and I've since read and donated most after . there's others I want to hang onto ( nonfiction type ) , but when I finish the "new" reads ( one more ), I will begin rereading the others  and we'll see... :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:11:02 AM by riverffashion »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2462 on: August 11, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »

my only trouble is that a lot of my wardrobe is black (mostly tops) and they can be hard to distinguish from each other at a glance.

Miss madge, this is my trouble too! I used to differentiate between things by location - so long sleeves top at the back, short sleeve at the front. But now I've done everything by colour (darkest at back to lightest at front), I pull out a black top and have to check which it is and refold. I think I need to take Marie a bit less literally and go back to my old system :)

Last night I got rid of another body lotion. I also pulled out some SPF and decided I either need to use it or get rid of it. I was going to buy a new bottle of my favourite stuff - I've given myself a few days to test these ones and see if like them enough to use them. If I buy a new one they are going.

And I've just thrown out a load of paperwork. I have been resisting this a lot, but suddenly, today, it just clicked. I don't need it, I never refer to it, GONE!

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2463 on: August 11, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »
I'm making significant progress packing up my LEGO.
Still not selling a great deal yet though.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2464 on: August 11, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
Not my house, but I provided a reason for my parents to clean out their garage! The garage needs some work, and to do some of it the old fridge which is being used as storage needs to be moved. As a late birthday present, I bought them a $15 shelving unit for the garage. Dad's put it together, and they're going to organize and properly dispose of a bunch of hazardous waste type stuff. Then the old fridge will go out entirely!

Then I'll go help fix the garage... and depending on what's left I might be able to get rid of more.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2465 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
I had a bunch of things in my donate pile that weren't worth selling.  I brought to a family reunion last weekend. Let all the kids go through it and gave some specific things to specific people. Got rid of everything! Was fun to watch the kids excited about things I haven't used in so long.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2466 on: August 11, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
Now that I've sold nearly all the collectible stuff that was worth selling, I'm moving on to photos. Today I've discarded 155 old photo prints. So many are blurry or duplicates, and I'm really culling the herd. When I get them down to a reasonable quantity, I'll scan them and discard most of the rest. It's a tiring process though. As Marie Kondo mentions in her book, processing the emotions surrounding your possessions is a big part of "tidying". And I can't think of many things that bring up memories the way old photographs do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:06:32 PM by Practical Magic »

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2467 on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
I recycled a TON of old school papers. It's almost painful how many pages of notes I went through during college, but at least it feels good recycling them. I need to go through my closet again because I know my tastes have changed and there's stuff I'll no longer wear. I refuse to buy new hangers, so it forces me to get rid of something else anytime I get a new item.

I also need to get rid of my Breyer horses. I was embarrassingly obsessed with horses as a kid so I have my collection leftover from that. I'm wondering how well they'll sell on Craigslist.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:10:47 PM by ClassyCat »
"You may be a wonderful person but a failure as a biologist."
-The Elements of Learning, Banner & Cannon

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2468 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Two more books out.
I might add, books are a hard one for me too. But its gotten easier. I bagan reading through my stock ( inspired by another gauntlet ) and I've since read and donated most after . there's others I want to hang onto ( nonfiction type ) , but when I finish the "new" reads ( one more ), I will begin rereading the others  and we'll see... :)

Three more books out (excellent )

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2469 on: August 11, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
Spent a whole morning without kids in the attic. There unfortunately is useful stuff up there like clothes that the kids will grow into. But managed to fill the car with things for the recycling centre -old toys, clothes,  books and kitchenware and took it straight there. Felt great and will do it again as soon as I can. I feel better that the items will get a second life. But they have languished in my attic far too long. About a quarter through the job so more work ahead.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #2470 on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »
Recently joined the local Buy Nothing group. Today, got rid of my first item - a set of clothespins. I had ambitions to line dry my stuff outside, but I think that will not happen; whatever I hang dry I can do on my indoor racks.

Next up: multiple extraneous kitchen items.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2471 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »
I also need to get rid of my Breyer horses. I was embarrassingly obsessed with horses as a kid so I have my collection leftover from that. I'm wondering how well they'll sell on Craigslist.

My roommate may end up buying some of those from you. And I will silently cringe.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2472 on: August 12, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
When she stopped by this week, I had my 25 year old daughter go through an old cardboard box of toys that ended up moving with us last year when we downsized to an apartment. She picked out a couple of things out of the box that she still wanted, and her brother kept a couple of small toys, then this morning I disposed of the rest of them including the big Uhaul box they were in. The remainders were too stained and old, mostly soft toys, to donate, so I trashed them.

This frees up space in the hall cupboard to put my vacuum away, so it will help the apartment look better too.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2473 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
On a weekender in Melbourne (aka shopping capital of Australia) and noticed the 100 outfits in 100 days challenge (about using what you have) combined with decluttering has made me view shopping very differently. I did purchase two items but they were both items that have been on my want/need list for a long time (a lightweight travel towel, I only have one and need a second one for when I do two consecutive gym days. I could just use a standard towel but as the old one is very close to retirment anyway, this will be primary towel and the old one the backup). And then trail runners. Currently hiking in steel caps (work boots that work bought for me for site visits) so really needed something more suitable. Both were heavily discounted :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2474 on: August 13, 2015, 05:30:26 AM »
On a weekender in Melbourne (aka shopping capital of Australia) and noticed the 100 outfits in 100 days challenge (about using what you have) combined with decluttering has made me view shopping very differently. I did purchase two items but they were both items that have been on my want/need list for a long time (a lightweight travel towel, I only have one and need a second one for when I do two consecutive gym days. I could just use a standard towel but as the old one is very close to retirment anyway, this will be primary towel and the old one the backup). And then trail runners. Currently hiking in steel caps (work boots that work bought for me for site visits) so really needed something more suitable. Both were heavily discounted :-)

Yeah MMM has ruined shopping for me too! But I guess that's a good thing :)

It's very satisfying to buy something which you have been needing and researching for a long time. Much more satisfying (and fun) than my old way of "want it? buy it!"

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2475 on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »
So true :-) really excited to bust these bad boys out on my next hike :-)

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #2476 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »
Question: What do you do with random wires/cables? Can they be recycled or do they go straight to landfill?

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2477 on: August 13, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Question: What do you do with random wires/cables? Can they be recycled or do they go straight to landfill?
Anything with metal in it can go into one pile or bin, then periodically call the metal pickers.  They will take anything with significant metal content and take it apart for recycling.

Win-win-win, it's out of your house, it's recycled, and someone makes money off of it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2478 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »

Check with your municipality but I can take them to my local 'household recycling centre' (formerly known as the dump) and put with all other electricals to be recycled.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2479 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Boxes magically disappeared from my house!

We saved about 20 boxes from our last move "just in case the need pops up". Well, it's been 3 years, and we've only had need for one of them, so I was going to put them on freecycle.

Until a neighbor posted on the neighborhood facebook page "Does anyone have boxes?"

I do! I do!

And now they are gone!

veronica mars rover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now move Uranus, the Mercury's rising.
« Reply #2480 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »
I'm about to do another declutter weekend.  In the Tidying Up book, it mentions that you should never have to declutter again, if you do it properly.  Has this been anyone's real experience?  I find that I have to purge every three months anyway and I'm mostly bagging up garbage, recyclables, and kid items (for Goodwill).

I don't mind, really.  I make a party of it.  But does anyone ever really stop the flow of new clutter coming in?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2481 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
Another three books. Gone. Awesome.

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 359 days until Freedom!
« Reply #2482 on: August 14, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »
Donated 5 boxes of books to my library yesterday.  Would have taken 6, but their maximum is 5 per day.
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  359 days

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2483 on: August 14, 2015, 09:17:20 PM »
Another three books. Gone. Awesome.

I am actually down to one box worth of books and dwindling... :) fab progress everybody

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2484 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
I am not sure if you ever finish.  I've gotten it all together a few times, but always moved soon after.  So my house is now really de cluttered and organized.  My plan is to stay at least 5 years.  I'll get back to you.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2485 on: August 15, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
Read Marie Kondo's book last night and whereas I like the principle behind it, I can't relate to the book. First of all, just throwing everything away rather than find a good home for it goes against my nature. She even discourages giving away stuff as you saddle others with it. The option to sell it does not even come up.

The way she treated books before finally deciding on throwing them away is horrendous (tearing out pages to file them???) and she clearly does not understand people who love to re-read books. 30 is a lot and 100 the maximum? I read that every year just in re-reading my favourites.

I do not think she has ever held a hammer in her life so nothing on storing tools or DIY stuff, which is what I badly need some tips on as I have a hard time keeping that stuff sorted.

It is a book about a lady and other ladies with lots of lady stuff (how many handbags do you need?) and as I am not a lady I found it hard to relate. However, the generic principle behind it is OK and her folding/storing of clothes is brilliant.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2486 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »
Read Marie Kondo's book last night and whereas I like the principle behind it, I can't relate to the book. First of all, just throwing everything away rather than find a good home for it goes against my nature. She even discourages giving away stuff as you saddle others with it. The option to sell it does not even come up.

The way she treated books before finally deciding on throwing them away is horrendous (tearing out pages to file them???) and she clearly does not understand people who love to re-read books. 30 is a lot and 100 the maximum? I read that every year just in re-reading my favourites.

I do not think she has ever held a hammer in her life so nothing on storing tools or DIY stuff, which is what I badly need some tips on as I have a hard time keeping that stuff sorted.

It is a book about a lady and other ladies with lots of lady stuff (how many handbags do you need?) and as I am not a lady I found it hard to relate. However, the generic principle behind it is OK and her folding/storing of clothes is brilliant.

I think, as with any other book of this kind, take and use what works and speaks to you, and don't worry about the rest. 

Meadow Lark

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2487 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
I think there is a way to think about Marie Kondo that is very enjoyable.  First, you have a book written by someone from a completely different culture.  I know she is very successful, and therefore not "average", but she isn't intellectual, and it is rare for me to read a book by an author from a completely different culture who is more "every man."  And I enjoy reading about a woman who cares about how relaxed her socks are when they are resting in her drawer.  Because how she thinks about her socks actually is a big part of the book - how do you treat, experience, and interact with the objects you surround yourself with.  And how they experience you. 

No, I doubt she owns tools.  And I have no idea what the second-hand market is like in Japan.  I do think she is rather frugal, saying you don't need to buy any organizers.  Instead encouraging the use of shoe boxes and things you already have.  I was planning on buying some things to organize with, but it turned out I already had everything I needed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:08:06 AM by Meadow Lark »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2488 on: August 15, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm about to do another declutter weekend.  In the Tidying Up book, it mentions that you should never have to declutter again, if you do it properly.  Has this been anyone's real experience?  I find that I have to purge every three months anyway and I'm mostly bagging up garbage, recyclables, and kid items (for Goodwill).

I don't mind, really.  I make a party of it.  But does anyone ever really stop the flow of new clutter coming in?
I think if you change your mentality about what comes into the house and your lifestyle stays the same it would be ok. But most people even if they change their mentality about what enters the house, will still be subject to lifestyle changes that make things redundant ( eg an injury, having children, gaining new interests at the expense of old ones) would all serve to make multiple items in the average house change from being useful to being clutter.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #2489 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
Another successful decluttering day.  DH working the garage with enthusiasm now that he can see possibility of parking his car inside this winter! Had a pickup of lots of old remodeling supplies and tools;  DS decided that he is ready to get rid of all his toy trucks, cars, legos and train sets.   Whoo-hoo!!  Toy trucks and cars went to thrift shop.  I told him he can have any money we get for selling the legos and train sets on ebay, so that is a job for tomorrow, but it will be gone in a week.  We should get at least $500 for all that stuff... which sadly tells you how nuts we have been with legos and Thomas the Train sets.  And then, neighborhood boys decided to have a garage sale tomorrow so kids are packing up even more stuff.  Our house is almost looking like its staged for a sale.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2490 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I do enjoy the overall vision she promotes, just need to look past all the handbag stuff :-) and it inspired me to declutter my walk-in closet this weekend.

It now looks pretty enough to go into a magazine after my attempt at a Konmari makeover, and I have three empty shelves. I gave away one small bag of clothes to the local freecycle store, plus 100 clothes hangers and a pair of shoes that did fit, but were just not comfortable. Then I went on to donate a very thick bedspread that is very nice and warm but a pain to wash and therefore did not get used a lot, I donated that to the animal shelter along with a drinking fountain my cats did not like. Then on to the freecycle bookstore where I donated two boxes of books. Mostly not "my" books but hand me downs from others, but I managed to part with some I now have as an ebook. I firmly refused the ladies' offer to have a look around to see if there were any books I wanted...

The only thing I bought were two baskets for my underwear drawer. I have a bra drawer which is now all folded, but I can't bring myself to fold my thongs, it is just not possible to make a sensible package of something with so little fabric. So now I have two baskets, one for nice ones, one for plain ones, the rest of the drawer is for swimwear and other items not deserving a drawer all by themselves.

And I hung up two mirrors on the doors of my my closet that had been standing in the corner for 5 years. One I have had since I was 10, the other I rescued from the trash. So much space now!

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2491 on: August 16, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

I find that when it comes to knick-knacks, I have stopped them coming in already over 15 years ago, and since then have been decluttering what I accumulated until that time, so that works well. Once I get my tools sorted I will get better with that, as I will always be able to find what I need I will not end up with duplicate stuff in three different areas of the house. (Why do I never, ever have enough screws of the right size for any given job?)

With paperwork I tend to slip up and do not clear out when I should, for example receipts and warranties, so I need to purge every couple of years. I was thinking of starting to file them by expiry year, then every year I can just chuck out the whole expired folder.

Food tends to accumulate so eating all the food in the freezer and cupboards is a regular occurrence to keep it under control. And books, well, let's just not talk about books ;-)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2492 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:05 PM »
I do enjoy the overall vision she promotes, just need to look past all the handbag stuff :-) and it inspired me to declutter my walk-in closet this weekend.

It now looks pretty enough to go into a magazine after my attempt at a Konmari makeover, and I have three empty shelves. I gave away one small bag of clothes to the local freecycle store, plus 100 clothes hangers and a pair of shoes that did fit, but were just not comfortable. Then I went on to donate a very thick bedspread that is very nice and warm but a pain to wash and therefore did not get used a lot, I donated that to the animal shelter along with a drinking fountain my cats did not like. Then on to the freecycle bookstore where I donated two boxes of books. Mostly not "my" books but hand me downs from others, but I managed to part with some I now have as an ebook. I firmly refused the ladies' offer to have a look around to see if there were any books I wanted...

The only thing I bought were two baskets for my underwear drawer. I have a bra drawer which is now all folded, but I can't bring myself to fold my thongs, it is just not possible to make a sensible package of something with so little fabric. So now I have two baskets, one for nice ones, one for plain ones, the rest of the drawer is for swimwear and other items not deserving a drawer all by themselves.

And I hung up two mirrors on the doors of my my closet that had been standing in the corner for 5 years. One I have had since I was 10, the other I rescued from the trash. So much space now!

I haven't folded my thongs either, I thought it ridiculous. In fact my whole gouchie drawer is in disarray ( although all in one drawer ). However, I hav read so many comments about how positive people's experiences hav been with folding socks that I think I'll giv tidying up the whole drawer a go.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2493 on: August 16, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »
i posted earlier about being asked to help my in-laws declutter as they prepare to downsize.

I spent the weekend with them and I bagged up 45 shopping bags of stuff for either bin, sell, or donate.

My mother-in-law was so excited by the progress, but we didn't address any of 'her' areas yet. We cleaned out the pantry, one baking drawer (she hardly ever bakes so she binned 80 per cent of her old baking trays without hesitation), my husband's childhood bedroom, laundry, guest bathroom  and one TV unit.

Yet to tackle her 'problem areas: her bathroom, clothes, linen press (she loves linen), coffee mugs (she loves coffee mugs), etc.

She resisted a couple of things I mentioned. She has a mismatched set of everyday cutlery, then a set of good matching cutlery that she looks after so well it goes back into the box it came in. The good cutlery became a necessity because my brother-in-law, when he lived at home, would nick forks for his lunch so she was always replacing them. And this is why she says she needs both sets. But he moved out of home three years ago. Get rid of the old stuff, enjoy using the lovely matching cutlery every day, and save all that space.

They've never lived in an apartment before so they're in for a massive learning curve.

When we tidied the laundry I threw out about 10 blown floodlight bulbs in their boxes - they were in the habit of putting the blown bulb back in the cupboard! In an apartment they won't have the luxury of being - well, essentially being too lazy to throw out empty boxes.

I'll keep working on her.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2494 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »

I do think I will only do this one big clean up. Maybe that's naive.

But since finding MMM I honestly never buy anything that I don't need and need to use straight away. I don't stockpile things anymore, so no cheap shower gel in the cupboard that I might forget about / let spoil / decide I don't like after all.

I used to enjoy shopping for stationery and makeup. No more. If I need something, I will buy it, but only to replace something, never to accumulate more. I am happy with the number of things I have, I don't want the number of things to go up.

I was at a fair recently and someone tried to give me a wristband. I was surprised at how strongly I said, "no thank you". I just don't want any stuff coming into my house. I don't browse second hand shops, I only go on ebay to replace something, I bin junk mail at the door and request to be taken off lists.

I think it can work if you just totally stop bringing anything in (except consumables). For a few years now straight after Christmas I've bagged stuff up to be donated straight away (sounds cruel, but honestly, no-one ever notices, and I don't even want stuff I CHOSE to be coming into my house, a lot of what people buy me is not something I need / want / will enjoy). Their -intent- is to give me joy, releasing these items to others who will enjoy them is honouring their intention more than holding onto them out of misplaced guilt.

I don't keep receipts / warranties etc as consumer protection laws are very good here and you don't need those kind of records, but in any case, it's extremely rare for me to buy something 'first hand' anyway. I reconcile bank statement and shred immediately. I don't keep paper things that just end up in piles. If I want to try a recipe I try it NOW and file it if I like it. Brochures / catalogues / magazines don't come into the house, if I want something to read, I get it from the library. I will buy DVDs on ebay, but we watch it and resell straight away. I don't want my house to become my 'To Do' list as it has been in days of old.

Obviously, I don't have kids. And my husband isn't a shopper (although his workshop is a different beast, but I leave it totally to him). Also, if you declutter RUTHLESSLY it's over more quickly. There's a lot of stuff I've got rid of on a third or fourth pass. That drags it out for sure, but she's right, when I've got to the right amount of stuff in a category for me, I just know.

So for me, the key in maintaining will be 1) no shopping (easy now I'm a MMM convert) 2) being ruthless with gifts coming into the house 3) stopping paper / trinkets / freebies at the door, so they never come in, and I don't have to clear them out.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2495 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »

I think it can work if you just totally stop bringing anything in (except consumables). For a few years now straight after Christmas I've bagged stuff up to be donated straight away (sounds cruel, but honestly, no-one ever notices, and I don't even want stuff I CHOSE to be coming into my house, a lot of what people buy me is not something I need / want / will enjoy). Their -intent- is to give me joy, releasing these items to others who will enjoy them is honouring their intention more than holding onto them out of misplaced guilt.

I had this revelation/concern an at art fair this weekend in my neighborhood. DH and I thought it might be a cute place to get Christmas gifts, but as we walked around we thought about how particular we are about things coming into our home, and how a really nice art print or fancy necklace might be nice from our perspective but might not be the receiver's cup-of-tea.

I think I'm going to tell my family members that, in an effort to cut down on Christmas consumption, I'll be making a donation to the charity of their choice as their gift--and that I highly encourage them to do the same for me (or go sans gift completely!) rather than buying a bunch of stuff I don't want/need. **this will be phrased much better before the conversation occurs**

I understand the impetus to give gifts--I'm absolutely that kind of person--but the sooner these conversations are had, the sooner we can forego the gifts and focus on other, more important aspects of the holiday. (Like food. Also wine. Mostly family.)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2496 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »
I got rid of a couple of items from the basement by posting them on Craigslist/Free Stuff: some leftover wire shelving pieces and two thermostats that I replaced a couple of years ago with programmable ones.  I tried selling the thermostats for a few dollars but no takers.  In the free section, they were gone within minutes.  I am down to 4 or 5 items to be sold.  And I have another batch of clothes ready to go to the consignment store and another bag getting ready for Goodwill.  I have also gone through all my shoes and decided to donate one pair and consign another.  I am starting to feel much better about the contents of my closet ;-)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2497 on: August 17, 2015, 07:16:13 AM »
I ordered a bag for ThredUp today.

Does anyone know if they only take seasonal stuff? 
Like, I have a bunch of short sleeve shirts right now, but my local consignment is only taking long sleeves.   

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #2498 on: August 17, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration.  Time to downsize some more.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2499 on: August 17, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
I ordered a bag for ThredUp today.

Does anyone know if they only take seasonal stuff? 
Like, I have a bunch of short sleeve shirts right now, but my local consignment is only taking long sleeves.

They buy out of season stuff, but it's my experience that they seem to be more likely to buy something in season.   Ie., they won't reject something that's really good b/c it's out of season, but if you have a more borderline/questionable item it might be more likely to be bought in season (so fall stuff now).