Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 773615 times)

JLee

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1650 on: May 07, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
I feel motivated to clean out tools today. I have two rollarounds and a bunch of other stuff - I want to pull a car out of the garage and empty both tool chests on the floor, then sort everything in a logical manner (and get rid of what I don't need).

Wish me luck. :P

Tools, the one thing I will never get rid of or pare down.

I bought a rollaround that was full of tools for super cheap, but I already had one full - I have some that should probably be thrown away, and many that need to be better organized as well.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1651 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »
Why do you declutter?
I don't handle chaos very well so when all the flat surfaces are clear I'm much calmer and more at peace.

As others have said, clutter is generally a pile of to-do's; shirts that need a new button, books that need read, an item that needs repaired, etc. And that mental clutter can cause a lot of stress. When you let it go and say "I don't need to do this it reduces that continuous mental to-do list and lets you focus on the the stuff that you actually want or need to do which makes me a happier person

This!!!!

yes totally!! i didn't realize until i read this! so many "potential projects" , so so many. and these are the things i haven't let go of (mostly). because i am a crafty/artistic person so i think, o when i am inspired, when i feel like working on something... i tell you though, it hasn't been too often in the past few years....
it resonates with me what you said about when we declutter "lets you focus on the things you actually want or need to do."
This is what i have been avoiding. but slowly , i am getting closer.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1652 on: May 08, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »
Decluttering my house is resulting in some life decluttering too! I decided all the books I have been waiting to read must be read, or donated. Well, I started one, and I hate it. But my ex-literature student ego makes me want to plough on and finish it, just so I can know I have read it.

What?! Yeah, I'm going to get over myself and donate it. I don't know why I feel that reading should be hard work. It's fine to read easy novels just for fun! I don't have to have read every classic before I die just to know that I have.

Books are hard, but a couple of years ago I decided to only keep the ones that I would be likely to reread or lend out. Still struggling with some that were given to me. At one stage I found an author I liked and a pile of books secondhand. I will admit to starting a couple and not liking them, setting them aside and reading something else instead. But they were still in my "to finish" pile. Eventually I decided not to, googled reviews / how the book finished for the fiction so I wasn't left wondering and then donated them. I felt much better for doing this. YMMV

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1653 on: May 08, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how clutter continually enters our lives. I have purged many times over the past few years after DH and I moved our 2 households together into 1 condo, whittling our possessions down to what will comfortably fit in 800 sq ft (2 adults, 1 cat). I consider ourselves to be fairly minimalist.

And yet, I still found about 15 more books to get rid of today, as well as a box of assorted dishes / knick knacks. I think my criteria for "should i keep it" is getting stricter and stricter.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:15:27 PM by allsummerlong »

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1654 on: May 08, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how clutter continually enters our lives. I have purged many times over the past few years after DH and I moved our 2 households together into 1 condo, whittling our possessions down to what will comfortably fit in 800 sq ft (1 adults, 1 cat). I consider ourselves to be fairly minimalist.

And yet, I still found about 15 more books to get rid of today, as well as a box of assorted dishes / knick knacks. I think my criteria for "should i keep it" is getting stricter and stricter.

HAHA!! Are you or DH "the cat"?  :)

allsummerlong

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1655 on: May 08, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how clutter continually enters our lives. I have purged many times over the past few years after DH and I moved our 2 households together into 1 condo, whittling our possessions down to what will comfortably fit in 800 sq ft (1 adults, 1 cat). I consider ourselves to be fairly minimalist.

HAHA!! Are you or DH "the cat"?  :)

ha!!
clearly I should proofread!

2 adults, 1 cat

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1656 on: May 08, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
Now my count is two carloads of stuff, plus a bunch of old paint, all gone!!

House and garage are still cluttered.  It will be a lot better when all the plant starting supplies and baby outdoor plants are actually outside.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #1657 on: May 08, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
I took 5 more things to the consignment shop, including a sundress that just felt too bare for my age; I had an $11. check waiting for me from a prior drop off.  Then took a large bag of books to the library to donate for their sale and another to Goodwill, mostly T shirts I simply don't need.  Do you do this-- save every old shirt to paint or garden?  Then I find I have more "work" clothes than other things, but I tend to wear the same 2 shirts to work outdoors.  So, gone!

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #1658 on: May 08, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »

I have a lot of cosmetics that I haven't used. Should I just throw them all out? Or donate? I don't know if anyone would really appreciate lotions and body washes, makeup, etc.

Maybe a battered women's shelter, or some group that serves the homeless. Also, my ex sold a surprising quantity of this kind of stuff at a yard sale one time.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #1659 on: May 08, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »
I feel motivated to clean out tools today. I have two rollarounds and a bunch of other stuff - I want to pull a car out of the garage and empty both tool chests on the floor, then sort everything in a logical manner (and get rid of what I don't need).

Wish me luck. :P

Tools, the one thing I will never get rid of or pare down.

I bought a rollaround that was full of tools for super cheap, but I already had one full - I have some that should probably be thrown away, and many that need to be better organized as well.

Ah, I can understand that.  If I had a bunch of rusty Harbor Freight specials they would be gone. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1660 on: May 10, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
Why do I declutter?

So many reasons most of which have been addressed by other posters already.  The overwhelming umbrella reason is peace of mind.  I find clutter to be stressful.  I also find organised excess to be stressful.  So even when things are tidy I am overwhelmed by cleaning the excess, thinking about the excess, moving the excess to access things. 

I get peace of mind when a space is cleared and maintained that way.
I get peace of mind from no longer having unfinished and unstarted projects hanging over me
I get peace of mind when I can find what I need when I need it
I get peace of mind seeing clear surfaces

I see objects as carrying emotional baggage.  I have tended to hang onto things because that is easier and because it did not occur to me to consider keeping them or not.  Now, no longer owning a video player but having 15 videos on the shelf weighs me down.  It always did but I was not aware of it.  Now I want to clear my life of heavy stuff in all ways.

I am finding a delightful spaciousness within as the piles disappear and the car carts the excess away.  I am not complete with the turfing out yet but each sally into de-cluttering brings relief, such relief!

Since objects can weigh me down i want to only have that which lifts me up in my environment.   I am finding that this process is multilayered: after one go through of a room I feel complete and then months later realise I have shifted and am ready to let more go.  I yearn, really yearn, for the clarity and ease that is unfolding as each room is cleared.

I think another profound question is why do we so firmly hang onto things which no longer serve us?

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1661 on: May 10, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
Why?

When I have one sharpie I can always find my sharpie.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #1662 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
I know the thread has taken a philosophical turn but I've got the why straight and am all up into the  execution now. Hope no one minds me talking logistics for a minute!

So after months of stalling, I finally went through my fabric and listed it on Craigslist.

I also listed some knitting gear, and one of my Facebook friends bought it for $50! Listed some other art supplies and a hair straightener I bought after I liked how a stylist did my hair, but then never took out of the box.

Guess I will just keep re-listing this stuff until either it sells, or it's time to move (will donate it then).

I think I also decided to sell my sewing machine and serger. I don't use them that much and I can always get new ones in the future if I want to. Or I can lend them to a friend until we get settled ...

Feels good to be clearing so much shit out! My shelves are looking so tidy -- I only have a couple bins of well-loved stuff left.
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
I am having a rough time with this.  I did clear out my cupboard of expired food, threw some boxes away, and listed 4 things on Craigslist.  Going to keep trying.

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1664 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Nice work, Madge!

You as well, Zamboni! Sounds like progress is being made. What are you finding difficult?

I just got rid of a lot of papers that I wrote in college (!). They were printed copies with prof feedback. I can't believe I've carted them around with me. I know why I kept them: I have a terrible memory, so I know that I will never remember what I wrote/once knew if I no longer have copies. I'm okay with that. As I reread some of them, I realized that I've assimilated the most profound ideas into how I live my life/who I am. I don't need the source document anymore. And for all the other information that I'll forget, that is okay. All things pass. Perhaps I'll learn it again in the future. Perhaps I'll learn and forget something new entirely.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1665 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
I'm trying to let go of some old beauty magazines and am surprisingly having a hard time. They've gone back and forth from throwaway to consider pile. I'm not sure what is making me keep them.... definitely not joy, since once they are in consider pile, I put them out again. But when I see them in clutter pile, I pull them back. :( does anyone else have this issue with anything else? How did you tackle it?

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1666 on: May 10, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
Just sold one of my bikes and a trailer for $260. That has been on my to do list for two years! I posted and sold the same day. Crazypants!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:28:15 AM by Nancy »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1667 on: May 10, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
I'm trying to let go of some old beauty magazines and am surprisingly having a hard time. They've gone back and forth from throwaway to consider pile. I'm not sure what is making me keep them.... definitely not joy, since once they are in consider pile, I put them out again. But when I see them in clutter pile, I pull them back. :( does anyone else have this issue with anything else? How did you tackle it?
Do you EVER go back and reread them?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: May 10, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
Purged more from my closest. Making a journey towards a sort of capsule wardrobe / work uniform sort of thing. I've taken now about 80% of the stuff out of my previously very overfull closet. Still seems that there is a lot in there. I purchased a few items today (e.g. another pair of black pants, a white shirt, tan sweater) that go with the "uniform" plan (basic dress pants, white shirt, a sweater, cute shoes - with slight variation). I took about 4 large bags of clothing today, and a pair of dress boots. My nanny is the same size as me and she takes just about everything (and either uses it herself or gives it to others).

There are still a few items that I love - but don't really fit w/ the theme ( theme being basic preppy/business) - and they are still in my closet. I am making progress.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1669 on: May 10, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

Rip out the pages of things you are interested in keeping.  Throw away the rest.  Later, go through the pile of pages, and realize you don't need any of it :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1670 on: May 10, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »

You might be able to trick yourself into getting rid of them if you think they're going to a better after-your-home-life than the dump or recycling center. Do you know any teachers who could use them in class activities? I teach university and still have some activities that require magazines :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1671 on: May 11, 2015, 03:16:35 AM »
15 more items purged over the weekend. I'm still on target to get rid of 2015 in 2015 though my pace is slowing.

This time it was the medicine cabinet. I don't generally throw away expired medicines, because we live in the country, and I take the view (don't listen to me, it's just what I do!) that having a medicine that is a bit out of date is better than not having quick access to it at all. But I was ruthless and got rid of any duplicates, so we only have one of each item now.

My house is continuing to feel lighter and brighter, enjoying this so much more than I thought I was going to when I started!

ETA: When I said medicines, I mean things like savlon which I would use to disinfect a surface skin wound. I likely wouldn't run out to buy it if we didn't have any, but I do think it's good practise to disinfect a scrape (we do lots of diy and gardening, these things aren't uncommon). I'm not talking about prescription medications, just general first aid items, which I don't believe 'go off'.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:23:10 AM by theadvicist »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1672 on: May 11, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
I am having a rough time with this.  I did clear out my cupboard of expired food, threw some boxes away, and listed 4 things on Craigslist.  Going to keep trying.

That's great! Any progress is progress.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1673 on: May 11, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
My facebook feed today had two unconnected friends tagging me in posts about their KonMari clutter-busting. Like, back to back in my feed, TWO people saying: "Hey Erica, here's what I'm getting rid of! Thanks for the suggestion!"

So much awesome feeling. Keep going guys! You never know if your bravery to let go of YOUR stuff will be the pebble that ripples into change in someone else's pond!

I mean, this isn't just about decluttering - this is a shift in mindset to resist a mindless consumerist lifestyle, and it's spreading. This is kinda radical.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1674 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
Had my marginally successful yard sale on Sat.  Unfortunately it was cold and cloudy, and not that many people came by.  Oh well.
Disabled veterans scheduled to come for a pickup on Wed.  6 boxes, 5 pieces of furniture including a couch, end table, cabinet, and patio set, all going!  Some will be replaced, like in-laws are giving us their old couch, and the patio set is too old and rusty to feel safe with the little one these days.  Out new yard is so much smaller anyway, it wouldn't work.  I will get something smaller, but that I like better, and will enjoy for the long haul.  I can't complain though, it was free originally.  Anyone have issues with Step 1 of Your Money or Your Life and the part saying that if you give it away, you can't count it as part of you net worth, but if you still have it, you can?  This is problematic for me right now. 

But out it goes!  My living room is wonderful and restful now, without the extra couch.  It makes me want to keep getting rid of stuff. 

And also this amazing article I read about organized people.  It is changing my life!!!  I talk about this more in my journal...

here it is if anyone is interested in it...
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/08/most-organized-people/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:30:06 AM by handsnhearts »

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1675 on: May 12, 2015, 12:41:57 AM »

You might be able to trick yourself into getting rid of them if you think they're going to a better after-your-home-life than the dump or recycling center. Do you know any teachers who could use them in class activities? I teach university and still have some activities that require magazines :-)

I did some soul searching and felt the magazines were too pretty to be discarded. But I didn't want to hold on to them either. So I took pictures of the pages I liked seeing (those that gave me the thrills) and gave the magazines to a teacher friend of mine for her class. I'm pretty sure I won't ever look at those photos again but they are there..... if I need them. Thanks everyone!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1676 on: May 12, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »

Way to go, letting them go!

I did some soul searching and felt the magazines were too pretty to be discarded. But I didn't want to hold on to them either. So I took pictures of the pages I liked seeing (those that gave me the thrills) and gave the magazines to a teacher friend of mine for her class. I'm pretty sure I won't ever look at those photos again but they are there..... if I need them. Thanks everyone!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1677 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »
Anyone have issues with Step 1 of Your Money or Your Life and the part saying that if you give it away, you can't count it as part of you net worth, but if you still have it, you can?  This is problematic for me right now. 
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/08/most-organized-people/

I don't remember that part well, but my take is only the current value of items can be included in net worth.  And current value means what you can get for them - not what you paid for them.  If you can't get anything for them (at say, a garage sale), then it's a fat zero for the net worth.  (That said, I don't like to calculate my net worth using my household goods or even cars.  I only consider investable assets and real estate.)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1678 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »
I have not posted on this thread before but I do want to say that you are all an inspiration to me.  I have been following this thread for a couple of months now and have made really good headway in dealing with my clutter and unneeded possessions.  Especially my clothes!  As a matter of fact, I have another large batch of clothing in the car going to a consignment store today.

I love reading your reports of decluttering but the discussions on the psychology of clutter and getting rid of things, dealing with your feelings towards your material possessions, etc. are really fascinating and helpful in recognizing and dealing with my own thoughts and feelings.

So keep it up and thank you!

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1679 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:02 AM »
After months of reading the Project 333 blog, Miss Minimalist, and other minimalism/capsule wardrobe blogs, I had whittled down my clothes to a manageable and enjoyable amount. My housemates (DH and two friends) started to get interested the more I talked about it and they kept seeing me drag bags of stuff through the house. So last week we held a house "wardrobe audit." I scheduled it formally and sent an email with a bunch of instructions for thinking about de-cluttering clothes (like "does this fit my lifestyle right now?"). I think that helps people take it seriously and there is some accountability when de-cluttering in a group.

Everyone brought their entire wardrobe into the living room/dining room and dumped it in a pile. Then we went through each category of clothes (pants, shorts, dress shirts, tops, winter coats), each person going through their own clothes. It was such a fun way to go through stuff! It is way easier to part with things when they are in a pile on your couch then stuffed in the back of a closet. It is also easier to part with things when you stack like things together and realize that you have 5 winter coats, and perhaps that is a bit much. It is also easier and more fun to do a big de-cluttering push together (dance music, cookies, etc.) and you can ask advice on things you are on the edge about. It took about 3 hours, but we ended up donating almost 100 items to Goodwill.

Even though I basically forced my house to participate in de-cluttering with me, they seemed to enjoy it. Afterwards one housemate said, "maybe we can do this again next month in the kitchen!"

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1680 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
I have not posted on this thread before but I do want to say that you are all an inspiration to me.  I have been following this thread for a couple of months now and have made really good headway in dealing with my clutter and unneeded possessions.  Especially my clothes!  As a matter of fact, I have another large batch of clothing in the car going to a consignment store today.

I love reading your reports of decluttering but the discussions on the psychology of clutter and getting rid of things, dealing with your feelings towards your material possessions, etc. are really fascinating and helpful in recognizing and dealing with my own thoughts and feelings.

So keep it up and thank you!

Excellent- I'm glad you've been getting ninto it. Its all very liberating :)

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1681 on: May 12, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
After months of reading the Project 333 blog, Miss Minimalist, and other minimalism/capsule wardrobe blogs, I had whittled down my clothes to a manageable and enjoyable amount. My housemates (DH and two friends) started to get interested the more I talked about it and they kept seeing me drag bags of stuff through the house. So last week we held a house "wardrobe audit." I scheduled it formally and sent an email with a bunch of instructions for thinking about de-cluttering clothes (like "does this fit my lifestyle right now?"). I think that helps people take it seriously and there is some accountability when de-cluttering in a group.

Everyone brought their entire wardrobe into the living room/dining room and dumped it in a pile. Then we went through each category of clothes (pants, shorts, dress shirts, tops, winter coats), each person going through their own clothes. It was such a fun way to go through stuff! It is way easier to part with things when they are in a pile on your couch then stuffed in the back of a closet. It is also easier to part with things when you stack like things together and realize that you have 5 winter coats, and perhaps that is a bit much. It is also easier and more fun to do a big de-cluttering push together (dance music, cookies, etc.) and you can ask advice on things you are on the edge about. It took about 3 hours, but we ended up donating almost 100 items to Goodwill.

Even though I basically forced my house to participate in de-cluttering with me, they seemed to enjoy it. Afterwards one housemate said, "maybe we can do this again next month in the kitchen!"
  sounds so fun!

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1682 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
For Mother's Day my MIL sent me $25 to treat myself, which is awesome because I recently went down a pant size and needed new jeans.  So I went to Value Village, and I actually drove instead of biked so that I could take the pile of stuff in the garage that I'd set out to get rid of.  It feels so nice to have gotten rid of all of that!  And I got two pairs of jeans that make me feel super hot and a lovely green shirt (gives me lots of joy! wearing it today for the second time) for under $20.
Gave our box of unneeded kitchen items to a friend who is moving.  Didn't get any money for it like we'd hoped, but it's gone to a good home so that makes me happy.
My husband has finished school now (wheee!) so yesterday he began going through his stuff to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.  I finally persuaded him that doing a little bit each day would suit him better than doing it all at once.  He'd get frustrated and tired doing it all in a day or two and cut corners, generally by erring on the side of caution and keeping things.  So he'll do a small amount most days over the next couple of weeks until we move.
Still more to get rid of, but it's amazing how SLOWLY we're filling up the trailer with stuff to move.  People keep asking how packing is going and seem shocked when I say that it's actually fine.  I feel like I need to justify our lack of stuff to them, it's crazy.  Well, only to older people who ask, like coworkers.  My friends are in the same place we are, with lots of crappy (free) furniture that they'll get rid of when they eventually move and happy about it.  A friend was just mentioning last night that her mother offered to buy her a new bedroom set for her birthday and she turned it down because she's planning to move in the next year and doesn't want to deal with the hassle.  "The furniture I have now was free, so I can just take it to the free section at the transfer station when I move."  Other friend, "Yeah, when I move [later this summer] I'm getting rid of my dresser that way.  Hopefully someone else will make use of it."
I finally got a (free!) copy of "The Life-Changing Magic..." and I'm loving it.  Will pass it along to one friend when I'm done and have recommended it to several others, including my dad.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1683 on: May 12, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
SisterX - I totally hear you about the nice furniture thing.  Also now with a child, it is so nice to not care if they spill milk or pee on the couch.  My FIL, bless his heart, is making us night stands right now.  I am thankful for the gift, but it is a burden, to know I have to care for it and lug it around in our next 34 moves...(hopefully not that many, but who knows).  He already made us a bed, but they have been keeping it for the last 18 months, knowing we we moving close to them then.  It is so lovely, but heavy literally and figuratively!

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
SisterX - I totally hear you about the nice furniture thing.  Also now with a child, it is so nice to not care if they spill milk or pee on the couch.  My FIL, bless his heart, is making us night stands right now.  I am thankful for the gift, but it is a burden, to know I have to care for it and lug it around in our next 34 moves...(hopefully not that many, but who knows).  He already made us a bed, but they have been keeping it for the last 18 months, knowing we we moving close to them then.  It is so lovely, but heavy literally and figuratively!

I don't mind moving a few nice things.  My in-laws have made some furniture for us, including a bedside table and BabyX's highchair.  But yeah, it is really nice to, for the most part, not care if our furniture gets damaged.
Also, the furniture they made is not particularly heavy, nor do they take up tons of space.  That helps.  I'll start collecting/creating more nice furniture in the future, but this is also the only big move we have planned.  I can definitely understand why you'd want to not have nice stuff if you're going to be moving around a lot.  If we were military?  Forget it, we'd have crappy free furniture until that was all done.  :)

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1685 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
My wife and I were sat on the couch after kids in bed after a long day at the park on the hottest day so far this year.  We couldn't decide on anything to watch and I asked her if she wanted to pick out a movie, so she instantly went to Netflix to find something.  I asked her when the last time she looked in our DVD cabinet and she responded that she hadn't been in there for a year, I responded neither have I.  Since we are in the middle of a house purge we both realized that we should sell the contents of our DVD cabinet (saving some kids movies).  During the inspection and inventory of the DVDs/Blurays, we discovered more than a dozen cases had never been opened!!!  What a tragic waste of our stash.  Over a hundred DVDs, dozens of Blurays and a few old video games (which I no longer have the system for) have since been posted and several hundred dollars are now expected to be returned to our stash.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1686 on: May 12, 2015, 03:16:35 PM »
I was feeling very sad leaving a loved one at the airport and wandered into a bookstore once I'd passed through security. I have had "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" out of the library three times and haven't been able to read it due to life crises/busy-ness. I decided that if I saw it at the bookstore I would buy it -- yes, it was there and I read through a good chunk of it on the plane ride home.
That was 2 days ago.

Today, it arrived at the library for me AGAIN! grrr! Oh well, I still feel glad that I have the book to read and refer back to it. I'm hoping that I can get this accomplished and then pass the book on to someone else.

I have soooooo far to go in my decluttering process but feel encouraged by others who have done a gigantic purge. We have a large family and SO. MUCH. STUFF.

When you are a recovering spendthrift, I wonder if you tend to hold onto stuff now that you aren't planning to just buy, buy, buy all the time. I keep thinking, "Maybe I could use this in the future?" or "Maybe the next child down the line will wear this in a few years?"

Hmmmm.....

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1687 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
We finally sold our old home theater system. After two tries, I was planning to donate it later today if no one was interested. And bingo! Someone pinged they wanted it and half an hour later, it's gone leaving me with a ton of space and $50!! I also have someone coming to buy lamps today. All going soon!!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1688 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I also convinced my mom to take back clothes she bought for me. They were not my size but she said I can alter it and use it sometime. I told her she would fit better in them right now and gave them back to her. A first victory for me!!

Sadly I couldn't convince her to not gift my husband or baby anything. Sigh! I'm thinking to regift them if possible. We have way too much stuff.

BZB

• Stubble
« Reply #1689 on: May 12, 2015, 07:30:33 PM »
We are decluttering and packing for an upcoming move. This weekend we dropped off a car hatchback full of stuff to Goodwill.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1690 on: May 12, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »
I have been doing a closet purge for a while now - and tonight I got rid of a ton of hangers. I'd been putting them in the guest room and the rack was full, and I still had excess hangers in my bedroom. ZTonight I tossed them in a bag for Goodwill. I am determined that I won't be needing more hangers for myself - so off they go.

Cornelia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1691 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
Finally finished the family's clothes today (a 'Life changing magic..' convert too!) and am on to books tomorrow. Clothes took so much time because I went through all the kiddos' 0-4 year stuff, and plan to sell what I can this weekend at a yard sale, and the rest is getting picked up by the Diabetes folks next week. A few vintage things will go on ebay too.

Looking forward to zipping through books as I only buy books if they 'spark joy' otherwise I heart my library. 

Now, if I could only get these pesky kijiji people to buy my chicken tractor and stop asking me if it'll fit in their minivan, or if I could deliver it a three hour drive from here...

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #1692 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
Some big things gone - sold the cosleeper on craigslist and the swing to the consignment shop. $40 total. I listed a bunch of baby clothes on eBay...no bids yet and the auctions end tmrw, so I don't think they'll sell. To Goodwill, then! I also listed an insulated lunch bag, not thinking it would sell, but it's at $10.50 with 7 bids and 3 watchers, so who knows!

Cheers to everyone else decluttering! It's really motivating to read about everyone's progress.
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1693 on: May 13, 2015, 09:42:39 AM »
My closet is starting to look very spacious! 

I took another large batch of clothing to the consignment store yesterday and collected a check for $55 for some items that sold previously.  I was hanging on to skirts and dresses that have not fit me and have not been worn for 2-3 years now and I finally let go of them!  I also sold 5 bags through consignment and got over $250 for them.  I had such a hard time letting them go at the time but now I don't miss them at all and really enjoy using just one bag.  I still kept 3 or 4 others but I may sell them as well.  I really don't know why I ever thought I needed 10 different purses!!!

It is truly liberating to let go of all that stuff.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: May 13, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
I don't know if this would help anyone else, but I went through all of my/our papers years ago and got them all into one accordion file by type.  One section holds the most important things: marriage and birth certificates, passports when not in use, that type of thing.  Another section for pet papers and info.  Another section for tax stuff.  Another section for rental leases/housing papers.  Another section for automotive stuff.  Last section for miscellany.  It's been super helpful to me over the years because everything I need is available at a glance and if I didn't make a section for it before, it's obviously not important enough to keep.  It's just one file folder so it doesn't take up a lot of space.  (All together it's about an inch and a half thick.)  I never have to think about, "Where's this?" when it comes to my papers, they're not cluttering up a drawer in my desk...it's bliss, to have well-filed papers.
Now if only I could keep the rest of my desk as tidy as I always keep that drawer!  Working toward that goal.

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1695 on: May 13, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Put two old carpets on the German equivalent of Craigslist and they were picked up within the hour for free.
Also donated a box of books and traded in another box of books at Amazon. :D

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1696 on: May 13, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
I had been waiting for the man to be out by the goodwill donation trucks so I could get a receipt  for my stuff. - rather than drop the things curbside ( as everyone does in our complex ) for anyone to pick through. Reason being I am self-employed and need all the write offs I can get . $700. These are  many items of low value that wouldn't possibly hav sold for muxh, if at all individually so well.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1697 on: May 14, 2015, 02:21:13 AM »
Even more stuff out!

I purged the bathroom cabinets (err, again). I concentrated on what I wanted to KEEP, and said, 'Whatever fits in this drawer is what I can have'. Previously it was in baskets and bins in a cupboard as well. That really focussed my mind on what I would use, versus what I was keeping 'just in case' and out of guilt for spending the money.

More space and a proper view of what I had made me realise 1) I needed more face cream and 2) i had all the ingredients and tools right there. Because it was no hassle and I didn't have to dig through cabinets to find the coconut oil right at the back, I just whipped up a batch straight away. I usually think of it as a 'Saturday' kind of project that takes up most of the day.

It was done and the jars neatly arranged in the drawer within an hour, including cooling time when I got lots of other things done. Less stuff is definitely equalling more time for me! (And I did get a kick out of finishing a bottle of sweet almond oil and putting it in the recycling! I had FOUR bottles because I kept thinking I didn't have any and buying more - because I couldn't see it in the crammed space. Oh the irony)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1698 on: May 14, 2015, 03:51:33 AM »
I am enjoying reading all the stories on here.  Yesterday I got rid of two shirts, two dresses and a fancy skirt and reorganised my closet again. 

With the capsule wardrobe are there a winter and summer set of clothes or 33 pieces total?

SisterX, how did you get it down to one accordion file of paper?  Do you keep any bills, etc? 

MonkeyJenga, you are an inspiration. 

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1699 on: May 14, 2015, 05:06:02 AM »
I also have one accordion type paper filing system. I don't get paper bills-they are all paperless and available on the internuts. I only keep passports/birth/wedding certificates and tax documents for the last seven years.  All else is scanned and saved to the cloud/hard drive or recycled.

Awesome job, advicist! Would love your face cream recipe. Sounds delicious!