Over the last few months I've made a commitment to declutter and sell the things that I don't need or use any longer. Part of this is because I feel like I've definitely accrued too much crap over the years, I'd like the money so I can invest it, and because my girlfriend is not impressed at how much stuff I moved into the house we are renting.
- Sold around 90% of my Xbox 360 video game collection ($500)
- Sold a set of Anime DVDs ($200)
- Sold most of my books to Half-Price Books ($120)
- Donated three garbage bags filled with clothes
- Threw out probably four garbage bags of old magazines, papers, etc when we moved
- Finish selling the rest of my games (est. $150 worth)
- Sell the rest of my embarrassingly large Anime DVD collection (est. $500-800 worth)
- Sell the two older Xbox 360 consoles I don't use (est. $150 worth)
- Figure out what else I have to sell or donate... I know there is lots
The books were easy as a couple years ago I discovered the joys of reading on a Kindle. I have so many books on that thing, and I can take every one with me wherever I go. And reading on an old school Kindle there is no eye strain like reading on a computer monitor. The video games I started getting rid of at the encouragment of my girlfriend, but it didn't take me long before I agreed with her. Why do I need old games I will never play again? Off to Ebay/Amazon they went! Same with the Anime DVDs. A lot of them are still worth money, but since I am able to download/stream so many of the shows I like, there is no reason to hang on to these physical DVDs while I can still make money off them. A few boxed sets I will be able to sell for more than I paid, since they are no longer in print and are considered rare among anime geeks.
I have some hobby gaming items and computer items that I intend to keep no matter what. I have two kindles (my old school e-ink version I prefer to read on and a new kindle fire hd that I use for everything else), two laptops (one is my primary computer I have hooked up in my man cave at home, the other is older and I bring it to school), and some hobby gaming things like board games (not Monopoly... google Dominion or Twilight Imperium III or BSG the board game) and books that I can't easily read on my kindle. I feel I've made some good progress, but I also know I have a ways to go. As evidenced by my above list of things I intend to keep! Hey, I said I was decluttering, not renouncing my worldly possessions and turning into a monk ;)