Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1064130 times)

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
We are finally, FINALLY getting rid of our storage unit. It hasn't had much in it for a year, and is just a waste of money. We got it three years ago when we were redoing the flooring in much of the house and did not have room for all of the furniture. We will be out by the end of the month. We went out this weekend and took the last of the boxes - half a dozen or so. Mr. MoustacheKnittah made me sort through the boxes out on the patio to ensure there were no critters or other disgusting delights after the boxes have languished in the out-of-doors for so long. Immediately put half of the items in boxes for charity shop. Set a chair and a lamp out of the curb. Thought about selling these, but we had more important stuff to do this weekend. They were taken immediately - I figure I am repaying the curb furniture gods for a few good finds over the years.

At any rate, we still have an old mattress (donate/trash), two chairs that need upholstery (will go home) and a tool box (donate). Friend has some stuff and we told him it just needs to be out by the end of the month. Victory over storage unit is so close!

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #1451 on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
Get rid of the phone book for good by opting out. Saves you time by never having to recycle it again and is environmentally friendly. https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

THANK YOU!  Phone books are my nemesis and I have no idea the last time we've used them!

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1452 on: April 13, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.

British Heart Foundation.  They have some shops which are clothes etc. but others which are furniture and electricals.

You may also have a local auction which sells electricals (usually the auctions at the lower end of the market, which also means cheaper - I have a reasonably local one that charges 1 per item plus commission, so I can give something one go pretty cheaply ), although they will need a safety check before hand (the auction may do this for you).
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1453 on: April 13, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
I'm a bit sad. I've been clearing out my parents' attic and found a lot of my old toys. Most of them aren't worth keeping or donating, and some are borderline. (As in, could be donated or maybe sold, but really likely not due to too much wear and tear.) But I'm just kind of sad to dump them in the trash. I mean, I'm 43 w/no kids, so it's not like I'm going to be playing with them, but it's still sad saying goodbye to things that were good friends when I was a kid (only child, so toys were kind of friends at times). I know I have no room or need for them, but it's just a tearjerker. I'm reminded again that growing up kind of sucks.

Can I recommend that you pick one or two of your favorites and keep them?  That works for me, as I have a small box with my high school letters (for my jacket), my baseball mitt, and a few small wrestling medals.
I love being outside.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1454 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
I have a couple of things listed in eBay. I started at a fairly low price and looks like it would sell for that price. However I have this mental block that I should be getting more money for that stuff. I listed at $60 and the electronic item is worth $200. I had earlier listed it at $100 and no one bid.

On one hand I just want it off my house. On the other, I know the actual value is higher and I feel bad for giving away the item. How do I convince myself its OK to let go of the (perceived) value of the item?

My DW has a lot of this "perceived" value going on.  She'll estimate what something is worth based on what she has seen it go for ina shop, but I remind her that she doesn't have a  shop (and doesn't want one!), doesn't have the overhead to pay, etc., but does have to pay for storage (both physical and mental) while it sits there waiting for that market price!  If you factor all that in it can be disappointing, but a dose of reality.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:41:39 PM by Rollin »
I love being outside.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1455 on: April 13, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
A lot more items out now. Getting more ruthless. More clothes I was attached to but did not enjoy anymore out. Went thru all my artwork & downsized ( took some photos ) . some dishes/kitchen stuff I don't like or use out. I have 4 more library books to read, then I will read what's on my shelves & likely discard more.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1456 on: April 13, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".  I finally cleared out all of the stuff we don't need or want to move and it's taking up half the dining room table.  Trying to sell it, but if no one wants it we'll give it to the charity shop and see if they can find any takers. 
Our kitchen now is not only cleaner, it's downright spacious!  Who knew?

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1457 on: April 13, 2015, 11:51:10 PM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".

I would so read that book!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1458 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:45 AM »

So true.
I like the concept with Freecycle, but I have a problem with people not picking things up as agreed.  I was trying to give away binders and after several people wanted them and then flaked on me, I gave up and took them away to the dump instead.

CommonCents, you had reminded me exactly why I let my group membership lapse... when people are picking things up for free they seem less committed to turning up. I wish the dump had a room you could just leave interesting stuff for others to look through and take for free. Each bay could be dated with a week commencing date when it will just be landfilled if no-one has taken it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1459 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:38 AM »
in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.

British Heart Foundation.  They have some shops which are clothes etc. but others which are furniture and electricals.

You may also have a local auction which sells electricals (usually the auctions at the lower end of the market, which also means cheaper - I have a reasonably local one that charges 1 per item plus commission, so I can give something one go pretty cheaply ), although they will need a safety check before hand (the auction may do this for you).

Thank you former player, I will look into BHF and our local auction house.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1460 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".  I finally cleared out all of the stuff we don't need or want to move and it's taking up half the dining room table.  Trying to sell it, but if no one wants it we'll give it to the charity shop and see if they can find any takers. 

I feel this way about my garage, and I've only just begun! :D

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1461 on: April 14, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
I'm finding that keeping a space completely clean is critical to clutter busting.  Once it gets that first sheet of paper or other clutter on it, it becomes a clutter magnet.  It's amazing how that works...

So true.
I like the concept with Freecycle, but I have a problem with people not picking things up as agreed.  I was trying to give away binders and after several people wanted them and then flaked on me, I gave up and took them away to the dump instead.

CommonCents, you had reminded me exactly why I let my group membership lapse... when people are picking things up for free they seem less committed to turning up. I wish the dump had a room you could just leave interesting stuff for others to look through and take for free. Each bay could be dated with a week commencing date when it will just be landfilled if no-one has taken it.

We actually have that, but it seems to be just one giant outdoor bay.  So it works great for the plastic toy-pile-of-crap, but things that need to be protected from rain don't do as well.  It also only seems to operate during the summer months and it suffers from the lack of fridge-dating that you mention.  But, better than nothing!  I've avoided looking at it too closely though, for fear the part of my brain that lights up when it sees "free!" will go crazy.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1462 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
Out:

3 pair socks I don't like wearing

2 half empty special occasion make up

1 unopened eyeshadow

Edited to add:

Scanned 60 or so photos during down time at work. Came home and sorted more photos. Have an envelope full in my bag waiting for my next opportunity to scan.

Dropped the boxes at goodwill... Ripped it off like a bandaid.  Refused to think about the dress and vest and other things I used to love that no longer fit my lifestyle...  Gone.  I won't miss them.

Sold a set of three shelves I made out of scrap lumber and used in my old house.  They've been in my trunk for 6 months.... Now I have $20.  Will give a couple extra curtain rods to the couple who bought the shelves. Wooh!  Gonna put them in the car right now so that I have them when I see them next.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:57:38 PM by PMG »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1463 on: April 14, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Used up most of the foundation makeup instead of buying new ones. Nowadays, I shop my makeup drawer more than shopping outside.

Resisted buying peanut butter - I wasn't sure we had one at home or not. The old me would've bought it 'just in case'. New me resisted the temptation and came home to find a big bottle of peanut butter sitting around unopened in my pantry

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1464 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Sorted thru my once treasure highheel collection (mostly spike heels). I had 20 pairs. I rarely wear heels anymore, opting for still stylish but more comfortable foot wear. I am keeping 5 pairs that I really love . I was quite attached to this "collection" up until a couple years back, and I did think of it as a collection. Theyre so pretty (most are a little different and interesting) but im over it! Saving some space as well!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #1465 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

I'm looking forward to the chapter in my book titled " In Which The Craft Room Can Be Used Again"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1466 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »

I'm looking forward to the chapter in my book titled " In Which The Craft Room Can Be Used Again"

I quite enjoyed my own 'Hey I Can Actually Enter The Spare Bedroom Without Tripping Over".

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1467 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
Donated a lot of clothes for the family last year and saved the receipts - we just did our taxes and were able to claim $800 charitable tax deduction. Not bad!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1468 on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:40 AM »
I am wavering on paper, it seems overwhelming to tackle.  I already went through it all and this is the stuff I chose to keep.  Now what to do with it?  Most of it needs scanning.   Scanning cannot be that hard right?

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1469 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:39 AM »
I am wavering on paper, it seems overwhelming to tackle.  I already went through it all and this is the stuff I chose to keep.  Now what to do with it?  Most of it needs scanning.   Scanning cannot be that hard right?

The scanning can be monotonous. Music or an audio book can help. I feel weight fall off my shoulders everytime I scan.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1470 on: April 15, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
My daughter is looking forward to "In Which The Bedroom Is No Longer A Fiber Storage Room".

I quite enjoyed my own 'Hey I Can Actually Enter The Spare Bedroom Without Tripping Over".
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1471 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
Sold my PS4 (was being used only as a blu-ray player), two autographed hockey jerseys which had been sitting in a box, several appliances, a large massaging chair, some old unused toys and a mass of baby clothes which we were holding in case someone in our family has a baby(we held onto one large container worth).  All told about 1300$ added to my boys RESP accounts by getting rid of some items which we will not even notice has left the house. 

The purge continues....

(For those in Ontario, make sure you check out the Varage Sale website and app since Craigslist is not as popular north of the border.) 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1472 on: April 15, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
Sold my PS4 (was being used only as a blu-ray player), two autographed hockey jerseys which had been sitting in a box, several appliances, a large massaging chair, some old unused toys and a mass of baby clothes which we were holding in case someone in our family has a baby(we held onto one large container worth).  All told about 1300$ added to my boys RESP accounts by getting rid of some items which we will not even notice has left the house.

Wow, that's a lot of money and a lot of stuff out of the house! Very inspiring. I still need to sell a few things, some of which are worth quite a bit.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1473 on: April 16, 2015, 03:05:50 AM »
I think I have a declutterers version of hedonic adaptation (is that the right phrase? MMM is always going on about things / bigger houses not making you any happier because you get used to them).

Well, a few weeks ago, my house felt amazing! So much less stuff! Nothing on the floor under the shelves, just space, and the shelves themselves no longer crammed full! Chests of drawers that closed all the way and nothing living on top of them! Just gorgeous empty space!

Well, I've clearly got used to it. I was doing a double take every time I saw an empty surface. Now I just see all the other stuff I haven't got rid of.

I need to redouble my efforts, and hope that, eventually, I will appreciate the space permanently, and not just see what's wrong with it.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1474 on: April 16, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Last year I inherited some new-to-me dishes from my mom. I really just wanted the plates and bowls but I got all the matching serving dishes, mixing bowls, casserole dishes, teacups, etc. After having them sit untouched in my cabinets for 7 months I decided to get rid of them. Along with a few other things (why did I need 8 oven mitts?) I ended up taking 4 boxes of stuff to goodwill.

This weekend my goal is to attack the office/room-where-everything-without-a-home-get-thrown. It's not quite as scary as it sounds but still not going to be a fun project.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1475 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Gave away all our board games (we used to play them prebaby, don't think we'd play for another two or three years) and decluttered our TV cabinet. Got a junk drawer in it to clean but the rest is gone.

I also finally decided to give away some old clothes after three years and two moves. Sigh! Better now than never.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1476 on: April 16, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
I think we've reached a point where it's no longer a lack of space that's driving me to declutter but more the need to have a lighter house. Seeing my baby's toys everywhere is also contributing to it.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1477 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »

Well, a few weeks ago, my house felt amazing! So much less stuff! Nothing on the floor under the shelves, just space, and the shelves themselves no longer crammed full! Chests of drawers that closed all the way and nothing living on top of them! Just gorgeous empty space!

Well, I've clearly got used to it. I was doing a double take every time I saw an empty surface. Now I just see all the other stuff I haven't got rid of.

I need to redouble my efforts, and hope that, eventually, I will appreciate the space permanently, and not just see what's wrong with it.

I feel exactly the same way! After I moved in to my place 1 year ago, I decluttered half of my things. Now , so far this year I have probably reduced by about 50% again, and it still feels like I have too much stuff! Logically I know that I don't. actually I think it part the current illusion is due to the somewhat messy state of things not in their proper places due to mass decluttering- piles here and there...

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1478 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
Visited a state park this morning and returned the map they have us to the guard shack when we left.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1479 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
I donated a bag of food for a food drive a coworker was organizing for his community. 
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

LYFT referrals:  If you apply using my referral link, you'll also pocket an extra bonus. (For example, Washington, D.C. referrals get $400 after giving 110 rides in their first 30 days.) Here's where to apply: https://www.lyft.com/drivers/JENNIFER581823

For $5 in ride credit, download the Lyft app using my referral link: https://www.lyft.com/i/JENNIFER581823. Terms apply.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1480 on: April 18, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
My brother visited and commented on the odd noise from the fridge.  It was an ice machine that isnt hooked up, and I couldnt figure out how to turn it off.  It came with the rental, so I don't want to permanently turn it off.  Brother showed me that if I wedged an empter container under the "floater bar" so that it always registers as full then it won't run!  I am so happy.  I keep pausing and noticing how quiet the fridge is.  It was not constant noise, but every half hour or so it would growl.  It sure felt like clutter, and now it's gone!  Maybe it will use less electricity when it's not constantly trying to make ice?

I also gave a rug I made and an extra tooth brush to that brother. Then tossed an old mascarra, and took care of my pile of mending.   

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1481 on: April 18, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I have a TON of fabric I want to use up, and figured I could use a bunch of it to make camisoles/tank tops for summer and to wear under things. Anyone have any super simple sewing patterns for that?
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1482 on: April 18, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
I have a TON of fabric I want to use up, and figured I could use a bunch of it to make camisoles/tank tops for summer and to wear under things. Anyone have any super simple sewing patterns for that?

Google search and you'll find many with tutorials or search burdastyle. Good luck!

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1483 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:51 AM »
I did the Minimalist Challenge in January (get rid of 1 item on the 1st of the month, 2 on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd, etc.) and we ended up ridding ourselves of 520 items when all was said and done.

Then, I read about getting rid of 2015 things in 2015!  It seems like a lot but at the same time, it would be a good lesson is what is Enough. Anyone interested in taking up this challenge with me?

We have a toddler who is the only grandchild on either side of the family. Also, my husband is an only child on his side of the family with divorced parents, so there is lots of competition over gifts between his mother, step-mom, aunt, and grandma.  So much plastic crap! I even wrote "no gifts please" on the invite to this bday party but no one seemed to notice.

Any item trashed, donated, recycled, sold, or upcycled (made some old t-shirts into reusable baby wipes) counts as an item.

Takers?

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #1484 on: April 19, 2015, 06:14:40 AM »
Cleared out the linen cupboard of the single bedsheets and random pillowcases who have lost their friends. Also took out the bedding which I kind of hate and never use. It will be getting donated next week!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1485 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
House is beginning to look a bit more spartan now which I quite enjoy.
Have realized I need to get back into donating my things to the Goodwill again ( rather than my complex) , because I need the receipts for tax purposes. ( I always pay , so this will help reduce what I pay next year) .

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1486 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Sorted a pile of photo albums. Reduced 1 cubic foot of possessions down to 1x4x6 inches. 1000 photos. 950 tossed. 50 kept.  Will scan and toss the 50.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1487 on: April 19, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
Have gone through closet a little bit, and I have 4 bags full of things to donate.  And I just noticed another shirt that I will add to that today.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1488 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
I took my last load to the consignment shop to sell, and the guest bedroom which holds all my eBay items is getting emptier! Tomorrow 11 eBay items will ship out. I've been hitting it on all fronts, so my file cabinet is just about empty after a big scanning bout, and I'm donating a big pile of file folders tomorrow. After all these months of efforts I'm starting to really see and feel a difference. The next items to go are a collector car and a rental house...Let It Be So!

former player

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1489 on: April 20, 2015, 05:39:33 AM »
Love the idea of a rental house as "clutter".
Be frugal and industrious, and you will be free (Ben Franklin)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1490 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
Purged older son's room of the clothes that are now too small for him - have a giant mound (like 20 pairs of pants, every single long sleeved shirt he had, etc.) in the hallway. Will purge young son's clothing and then sort out what will fit him of the bigger clothes.

This weekend cleaned out the garage - lots of broken toys, junk, etc. that is out. Swept and reorganized and made it pretty (for a  garage). Got the younger kid help me purge some downstairs todays (mostly broken plastic junk). Decided to sell my rice cooker and cleaned it up and found the manual and made it look all nice and "like new!"

Community garage sale coming up and I am looking forward to getting a little money from all this stuff. I have been piling things in the guest room and it is getting to be a substantial collection.

Thinking about a big purge of my bookshelf.....

Feeling good!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1491 on: April 20, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
This weekend was a big weekend for me.  I freecycled an old sewing cabinet and a big bag of bubble wrap plus a box of packing materials.  I donated an old suitcase plus a duffel bag to a foster home.  I was also able to donate 28 pairs of shoes.  I got rid of a broken electronic scale plus some old cell phone batteries and chargers at work as a part of the e-recycling that is available this week.  I also recycled about 8 bags of plastic bags, it's amazing how they pile up.

I'm on the last stretch of moving and it feels great to get rid of this stuff!  I can't wait to go through everything again to really get down to just what I *actually* need.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1492 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
This weekend was a big weekend for me.  I freecycled an old sewing cabinet and a big bag of bubble wrap plus a box of packing materials.  I donated an old suitcase plus a duffel bag to a foster home.  I was also able to donate 28 pairs of shoes.  I got rid of a broken electronic scale plus some old cell phone batteries and chargers at work as a part of the e-recycling that is available this week.  I also recycled about 8 bags of plastic bags, it's amazing how they pile up.

I'm on the last stretch of moving and it feels great to get rid of this stuff!  I can't wait to go through everything again to really get down to just what I *actually* need.

Whoa!  28 pairs of shoes!  Isn't it amazing!  I need to go through my shoes too. I don't think I will get rid of 28 pairs, but you never can tell. My decluttering has totally ground to a halt. I am stuck on the fact that things still are useful and have some life in them, but no one will see that and I don't want to be wasteful. Also stuck on whether or not to have a garage sale. Any suggestions anyone?

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1493 on: April 20, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
I had never really decluttered before, so things were really piling up!  It feels so great getting rid of things.

One thing that worked for me was freecycle.com - you post what you have and its condition and if someone is interested they will come pick it up.  Since my goal right now is just to get rid of things it has worked out really well.  Plus, I feel like the stuff I am getting rid of would make next to nothing on craigslist and this keep it out of the landfill.

Garage sales can work, if things are priced right.  Meaning that you need to decide if you want to make money or get rid of as much as possible.  But they take a lot of time and if the weather doesn't cooperate it can be a total bust.  It helps if you live in a neighborhood that has a large sale all on the same day.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1494 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:34 AM »

The Sami Cami is a free downloadable pattern from Iconic Patterns, it works very well for me. The straps are a bit fiddly but by my second go round I had them worked out. The first one - which I made kind of a mess of - I replaced the straps with some of those removable bra straps that come with convertible bras. I seemed to have more straps than bras (story of my not-throwing-stuff-away life). That made the straps easier, but if you go slow, the straps as instructed are fine. Best to start with a thicker fabric - my trouble was a thin knit.

I've also lengthened the pattern to make a knit slip. For a normal slip I found a pattern in a Vogue dress pattern I had, so if you have any commercial patterns, see if any include one as an extra.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1495 on: April 20, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
rummage sale this weekend was a success.  Made $301 for a few hours work and got rid of a ton.  The majority of what was left was donated the same day!  I feel like we've made a small dent.

And... confession... I've been holding on to some "smaller" clothes for years now with the hopes of getting back in them.  Post cancer (tamoxifen) i gained 30lbs and then i had a baby on top of that.   I'm not getting in those clothes.  As hard as it was, I put all of them in the donate bag last night.  Will be making another pickup load donation this weekend. 

41 days until I figure we need to have the house ready to go.  We're getting our bathroom cabinets refinished on 6/1.  They will be done by 6/12 so I think we will list the house on 6/15.   In between, we need to declutter, pack, have the interior of the house painted, put in new fixtures in the bathrooms, do some small landscaping jobs and have the cabinets refinished.  Whew, i'm tired just typing that...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1496 on: April 20, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »
Have gone through closet a little bit, and I have 4 bags full of things to donate.  And I just noticed another shirt that I will add to that today.
Success, having things bagged up feels good, but actually finding a good local charity and dropping them off feels great!  I added 3 more shirts and also grabbed a big box of things from my brother's house that his kids had outgrown and took that in as well.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1497 on: April 21, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
Cleaned up plastic containers and threw away a bunch. Also found our old phones while decluttering something else. Time to put them on eBay!

Also found a bunch of stuff to put on craigslist. I can see the house is becoming lighter. :)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1498 on: April 21, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Love the idea of a rental house as "clutter".

Hee hee, not only the rental house but all the extra supplies we keep in our garage for possible repairs. Clutter city!!

veronica mars rover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now move Uranus, the Mercury's rising.
« Reply #1499 on: April 22, 2015, 02:15:28 PM »
I "declutter" every six months or so but after finishing The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up this weekend, I felt itchy to take another pass at it. 

Whoa. 

There really is something to the idea of putting all like items in a pile and then determining which ones really matter.  Things look different when they aren't on a shelf.  I boxed up 72 volumes!  (Would have boxed up many, many more except that the SO is not on board with decluttering, so I could only donate books that are 100% mine.)  I was so excited that I tackled the craft closet and gathered two big bags of miscellany that were meant to be projects "someday."  It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.