Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 772973 times)

firelight

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1350 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »
This thread is inspiring. Cleaning out jackets, shoes and baby clothes today.

Also finally using up the last of free samples of soap - took six months to work thru my stash. I still have a small amount left but will keep it for camping. Way easier than lugging around bigger ones or buying new travel sized ones. Next on list is samples of moisturizers and body lotions. I also have too many big bottles of moisturizers.... And I don't even use them regularly. not sure what prompted me to buy such big ones for each room.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:13:54 AM by cutenila »

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: March 29, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
Our week with the dumpster is going well.  In fact, it's going amazingly well!  DH and I have both gotten rid of things that the other person didn't think they would.  In addition to the walls, floors, ceilings, and cabinets in the basement we've gotten rid of 2 glazed concrete half walls (one was the bar and one the kitchen peninsula framework), several lamps, several free standing cabinets made of particle board, and a ton of miscellaneous crap.

I am so stoked at how much we've done!  The dumpster (a 20 yard one) is getting close to full.  We may actually run out of space in the dumpster before we run out of things to discard!

Backup plan is to leave some of the furring strips and other wood things and burn them over the next few months.  We only have a tiny fire pit, so this option isn't a great one, but it will work.

Considering the 2 concrete walls we knocked down and put in the dumpster, we think it's possible we are overweight.  But that's okay, a few extra $$ is worth it to get our basement back!  It's been unusable for the past 2 years due to everything deteriorating with age.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1352 on: March 29, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
I wonder about this too .. if I were to go through my closet with real intentionality, I'm not sure there would be much left! Then again, I only wear a few favourite pieces anyways. I just hate the thought of having to go out and spend more money on clothes.

Brakes!!! Don't replace what you don't wear with more things you don't wear. Just bag up what you don't wear in a paper bag on the floor of your closet. In a few months it'll be full but you won't remember what's it in. That's when it's time to go. Just don't get more. You'll feel like you've got a ton to wear because you wear everything you see. That's how it's been working out for me anyway :)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1353 on: March 29, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
In response to the wardrobe conversation:  I've done quite a bit of culling in the past year. I had a bit of a "doh!" moment this week when I finally decided to trash a couple pair of worn out shoes and give away a nearly new pair I loathed.  I caught myself thinking "what if I regret this?  What if I have too few shoes and wish I had more?  I guess I'll just buy new ones..."  Obviouisly I'll buy new when I need new. I suppose I knew it logically, but not emotionally.  There will always be clothing and shoes available.  This is not an emergency situation.  I choose to own a small amount. I choose to avoid buying at all right now.  I also choose to store my next pair of super cool shoes at the store until I actually need them.  If I suddely regret getting rid of bags of illfitting clothing there is a junk store in walking distance full of the same things.  (I'm certain that won't happen...)

Out:
worn out socks
cute homemade handkerchiefs (too thick for actual use)
1 pair cotton gloves
2 candle holders
small pile of receipts
extra bath and kitchen towels
1 new bottle of conditioner
planted lettuce seeds in little peat pots I've had for years and moved twice

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1354 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:10 AM »
What do you do with clothing which you know you'll get into but have no idea how it'll fit? I'm getting back into shape after pregnancy this year and still have some baby fat to burn off. I'm starting to fit into some of my old clothes but have a long way to go with the rest. Even before baby, I usually go from 130 to 150 and back pretty easily. As a result, my closet is a hodge podge of sizes :( though I wish I can be 130 and stick to it all the time, I know I'd gain weight again and need the larger clothes.

Now I have my maternity wear to consider too (we'll be having another kid in one-three years). 75% of my clothes don't spark any joy since they are not the right fit for my current size (can fit and give joy at another weight point of mine) or because they can't be worn daily (I have a lot of cultural dresses that are very beautiful but I won't wear them more than maybe once a year!).

As a result, my closet is a mess with so many clothes but nothing to wear :( any ideas how to tackle this issue?

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1355 on: March 29, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
What do you do with clothing which you know you'll get into but have no idea how it'll fit? I'm getting back into shape after pregnancy this year and still have some baby fat to burn off. I'm starting to fit into some of my old clothes but have a long way to go with the rest. Even before baby, I usually go from 130 to 150 and back pretty easily. As a result, my closet is a hodge podge of sizes :( though I wish I can be 130 and stick to it all the time, I know I'd gain weight again and need the larger clothes.

Now I have my maternity wear to consider too (we'll be having another kid in one-three years). 75% of my clothes don't spark any joy since they are not the right fit for my current size (can fit and give joy at another weight point of mine) or because they can't be worn daily (I have a lot of cultural dresses that are very beautiful but I won't wear them more than maybe once a year!).

As a result, my closet is a mess with so many clothes but nothing to wear :( any ideas how to tackle this issue?

Mmmm, that sounds tough.  Can you set a max on the amount of clothes you have for each size?  Like, 1 or 2 cardboard boxes for 130 lbs, 1-2 for 140, and so on?  Then keep your current size in your closet and swap out as you change.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1356 on: March 29, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
We got rid of a ton of stuff yesterday. I finished off reading "the life-changing magic of tidying up" at work a couple of days ago, and got a start of some of the suggestions - a big one being not having off-season clothes in storage, i.e. getting rid of enough stuff so that everything you own can be in one place, seen at once. This was a little more difficult than it would be for some people since I share a closet with my boyfriend, but do-able.

I got rid of a big garbage bag full of clothes, old bathroom toiletries and crap, and a bunch of kitchen stuff that I hated (a few things were replaced with things I love, like a new metal colander and stainless steel measuring spoons).
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1357 on: March 29, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Most of the ones I wear now I am at least neutral about.  I didn't want to throw everything out as I would have nothing left and am on the no buy clothes challenge. So I just shelled out the worst, and kept a smaller amount

Happy, I like this approach! I'm a big fan of baby stepping it, so keeping clothes from the neutral or positive end of the spectrum and getting rid of the rest seems like a step in the right direction.

I just picked up The Life-Changing Habit of Tidying Up from the library for further inspiration. Great job, everyone!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1358 on: March 29, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

I did something similar a few years ago when I was losing weight (pre-MMM). I went through my entire closet and tried everything on, just to estimate at what weight it would fit again. I made a box for 140,150,160, and 170 pounds and I filled them all up. Then, when I reached that weight I opened up the next box, like Christmas! It was motivational for the weight loss too. Lots of clothes brought happy memories, especially ones in the 140 box since I hadn't seen them in so long. Then I filled the boxes with the clothes that were now too big.

After I got to 130 I took all the boxes and donated everything. Never want to fit into those clothes again.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1359 on: March 29, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »

Mmmm, that sounds tough.  Can you set a max on the amount of clothes you have for each size?  Like, 1 or 2 cardboard boxes for 130 lbs, 1-2 for 140, and so on?  Then keep your current size in your closet and swap out as you change.

Aside from the pregnancy, consider what is causing your weight to fluctuate that much. My weight used to go up and down a lot, and it took me a while to realize there was a serious problem underlying it. Actually, it really took me getting multiple colds from being underweight and realizing that I wasn't remembering to eat because I didn't feel hungry. Now I've learned to manage the issue better so my weight is much more stable. If you can pin it down and stabilize, that'll help with clothes and probably be healthier for you.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1360 on: March 29, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
After work today , I decided to rearrange the furniture ( all of which I will keep, there isn't much) . so , of course as I was moving everything around, and saw all my stuff in piles and disarray , I found more things to toss and donate :) . fabrics, 3 books, several CD's I don't like... And I'm tossing 2 lipsticks half used in colors I hate, random paperwork.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:57:24 PM by riverffashion »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1361 on: March 29, 2015, 10:27:26 PM »
Its interesting to me that several people have mentioned disliking most of what's in their wardrobe, because I feel the same way too . I don't have many clothes (certainly enough) , certain pieces I love and wear often. Others , i wear every couple months. Most of the items I never or almost never wear have been donated by now. Most, not all..... I open the closet to get dressed sometimes and think I would love to just get rid of most everything. Of course that is crazy and I would never do that.  Im really picky about pretty much everything- which has really helped me save a boatload of money- so many things I had acquired in the past ( because now I really almost never buy anything, esp clothing) were things I kind of liked or fit well or whatever, but I rarely actually love an item, esp clothing. Maybe it would make more sense to donate more of these clothes then. And add as needed ( usually castoffs from my girlfriends and coworkers) ,

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1362 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:47 AM »
Thanks everyone! Boxing up clothes based on weight it's a brilliant idea!! Will report back how it goes.

Sibley, the cause for my weight loss and gain are poor diet and exercise. When I'm busy, I tend to slack in diet and exercise and hit 150 quickly. When I have time, I concentrate in these two and my weight comes down to 130. Can't wait to fire so I have enough time to keep my weight at 130.

fullbeardandweird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1363 on: March 30, 2015, 01:53:15 AM »
Gave away one of my bicycles filling up my shed.  Now somebody has a new commuter bike :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1364 on: March 30, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »
I open the closet to get dressed sometimes and think I would love to just get rid of most everything. Of course that is crazy and I would never do that. 

Not crazy at all! If you want to do it, go ahead. If you're worried you'll miss the clothes, do as suggested upthread and box / bag them up and put them somewhere you can get to them if you miss them enough, and after a certain number of weeks donate them.

I culled my clothes dramatically recently. I wear vests (as in, the British usage of underwear) near daily because I am always cold when other people are comfortable. So I had, hmmm, 15 vests? Most I didn't like, were grey instead of white, had straps that kept falling off etc. This morning I went to find a vest and panicked because I only had one white one clean. Then I thought, why panic? Yes, I only have one, but I only have one body, so I have everything I need today. Also... I then found a second one. So even having got rid of a lot of stuff, I am slowly learning I didn't need or want it in the first place.

I've also put some leather boots in the donate box. I bought them in my 'youth', they were very expensive italian leather yada yada yada, but the truth is, even if they come back into fashion (which they won't) the heels always feel like they are going to break so I am not comfortable walking in them, so, er, why am I keeping them? The layer of dust they had accumulated was the final push to donate. Bye boots, thanks for the memories.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1365 on: March 30, 2015, 04:17:51 AM »
This thread is inspiring. Cleaning out jackets, shoes and baby clothes today.

Also finally using up the last of free samples of soap - took six months to work thru my stash. I still have a small amount left but will keep it for camping. Way easier than lugging around bigger ones or buying new travel sized ones. Next on list is samples of moisturizers and body lotions.

Just a thought since this seems to have come up in a few posts - Women's shelters and homeless shelters are always super, super grateful for any travel size or sample size hygiene/beauty products. Once I had a women literally break down into tears of gratitude because she got a sample of a lotion in her favorite scent  (left an abusive relationship and everything behind)

I have been making great progress, I am in fact typing from my desktop, which is in our office - which ended up being the collection room for all of our junk/ I have no idea where to put this storage since we moved in Dec.  The floor is clean, the surfaces are clear and much clutter has been removed. Several boxes are ready to be taken to the thrift store or sold on our local buy and sell. Sorting out the paperwork is an ongoing process, but now I have some room to do it :)

I am really enjoying hearing about every ones progress!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1366 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
This is such a great thread. Inspiring and motivating.

I tackled the garage this weekend. Well I started at least. There were so many things to get rid of that I will never miss. Why exactly was I keeping that second microwave? And the VERY old VERY beat up vacuum cleaner (I don't have another one, but I also don't have a carpet)?

I also finally posted online all of the things I had in my 'for sale' pile. Between those and the many things posted in the 'Free stuff' Facebook group I'm starting to get slightly overwhelmed with who is coming when to pick up which items! But it's great to see them all go out the door. The pile is certainly looking much more manageable.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1367 on: March 30, 2015, 08:48:25 AM »
My house is currently in major disarray from prepping to paint the living room/dining room/kitchen (probably over 750 sqft total). I realized that while cleaning it back up once we're done is a perfect opportunity to really delve into areas I don't normally see and get rid of stuff hiding there. We have a huge kitchen with an insane amount of cabinet space so while I'm cleaning the cabinets (covered in dust from sanding) I'm going to carefully go through each of them and get rid of stuff we don't/won't use that's been hiding in my ample cabinet space that won't have a place to hide once we move into a smaller house. And try to figure out just how many casserole dishes I actually need. I like to do weekly food prep so I may legitimately be using multiple ones at a time but we have well over 10, maybe even as many as 20 in differing sizes

I'm (mostly jokingly) considering what can be "lost" in our move that we don't really use but that I know DH would object to getting rid of. Like the toaster we maybe use every three months.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #1368 on: March 30, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
Just a few suggestions on places which might accept your unwanted that you might not have thought of, and which will keep this stuff out of the landfill:

Women's emergency shelters:  mini-toiletries from hotels, cosmetics/lotions etc in 'nearly-new' condition. 

Youth shelters/Boys and Girls clubs:  anything school related including backpacks, school supplies or general art/craft supplies.  Socks and winter clothes are needed at most shelters.

Animal shelters:  old towels and blankets to make institutional steel cages a little more comfortable and less stressful, grocery bags for litter disposal.

Habitat for Humanity 'Restore' outlets:  building supplies in reusable condition such as lumber, drywall, plumbing or electrical fixtures and even furniture and artwork.

Most places have lists of needed 'donations in kind' right on their websites.  I had two boxes of random leftover skeins of wool that went to the YWCA.  The 'Y-Knit' program distributes it to knitting programs in senior's lodges, where the knitters make booties and caps to keep premature babies warm in hospital incubators.  Double win!

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1369 on: March 30, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
I've been on the waiting list for "The Life-Changing Habit of Tidying Up" since it came out! I think I'm in the 40's now.

I've attempted and failed the 30 Day Declutter Challenge a few times due to time constraints and a toddler. So on April 1st I'm going to get started again. This time instead of getting rid of 1 item that day I will get rid of as many as I can and mark that "day/number" off on the calender. I've been keeping a mental list of all the things I want to get rid of. The anticipation is exciting.
Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
http://2minimize.blogspot.com

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1370 on: March 30, 2015, 04:34:08 PM »
Another idea for hand lotion that is maybe not your favorite, but a decent scent, is to take it to work and set it in the restroom on the counter for communal use - best type for that is the pump dispensing kind. I also peeled the label off the plastic bottle, once everyone had had a chance to see what it was, and it makes it look a little more elegant than having visible writing on it. Even a plastic bottle looks quite fancy and apothecary style once the label is carefully peeled off (and de-glued :))

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1371 on: March 30, 2015, 06:43:18 PM »
Thanks everyone! Boxing up clothes based on weight it's a brilliant idea!! Will report back how it goes.

Sibley, the cause for my weight loss and gain are poor diet and exercise. When I'm busy, I tend to slack in diet and exercise and hit 150 quickly. When I have time, I concentrate in these two and my weight comes down to 130. Can't wait to fire so I have enough time to keep my weight at 130.

Glad it's an "easy" problem! Good luck :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1372 on: March 31, 2015, 07:40:49 AM »
Just a few suggestions on places which might accept your unwanted that you might not have thought of, and which will keep this stuff out of the landfill:

Women's emergency shelters:  mini-toiletries from hotels, cosmetics/lotions etc in 'nearly-new' condition. 

Youth shelters/Boys and Girls clubs:  anything school related including backpacks, school supplies or general art/craft supplies.  Socks and winter clothes are needed at most shelters.

Animal shelters:  old towels and blankets to make institutional steel cages a little more comfortable and less stressful, grocery bags for litter disposal.

Habitat for Humanity 'Restore' outlets:  building supplies in reusable condition such as lumber, drywall, plumbing or electrical fixtures and even furniture and artwork.

Most places have lists of needed 'donations in kind' right on their websites.  I had two boxes of random leftover skeins of wool that went to the YWCA.  The 'Y-Knit' program distributes it to knitting programs in senior's lodges, where the knitters make booties and caps to keep premature babies warm in hospital incubators.  Double win!

Good ideas!  We have a ReStore near us, and I've donated various light fixtures, a bathroom vanity we replaced, etc.  I have some tile I should probably haul down there.

I'm also doing the use up the toiletries thing, and making good progress.  I'm down to one kind of hair styling goo, and almost down to one body wash.  Cleaning supplies are getting consolidated too.  Last night I used up a bag of shrub fertilizer that I bought probably 7 years ago and never opened.  The space in all the shelves and cupboards is great - no digging around to find what's needed.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1373 on: March 31, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
Took a carload to Habitat for Humanity Restore on Saturday---a screen door, lumber, window blinds, and an unused closet organizer, all gone!  With a receipt for taxes, too.  Just returned an item to Amazon for $14; thought I was going to need it and it came and doesn't work like I thought it would.  I considered just keeping it, but that seemed silly when I can get rid of the item AND get the money back! 

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #1374 on: March 31, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »
Over the weekend I went through my closet, which I thought I had pretty much been through a few months ago. I used the Konmari method of touching each item and seeing how I felt about it, along with thanking the items I chose to release. It was very easy and relaxing, and I have 3 big plastic bins full of things to let go of. I'm not set up to do her style of folding -- I don't have a dresser and all my shelves are above eye level, so I need to hang things and stack them flat rather than vertically -- but everything is very tidy in my closet right now.

I'm trying to organize a clothing swap with some of my pals. Hopefully we can do it in the month of April. My goal will be to bring almost nothing out of the swap though -- only if something is perfect and I love it (not just think it might be useful someday or something). We're moving this summer so I need to vastly reduce the size of my junkload, not add it to it.
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1375 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Over the weekend I went through my closet, which I thought I had pretty much been through a few months ago. I used the Konmari method of touching each item and seeing how I felt about it, along with thanking the items I chose to release. It was very easy and relaxing, and I have 3 big plastic bins full of things to let go of. I'm not set up to do her style of folding -- I don't have a dresser and all my shelves are above eye level, so I need to hang things and stack them flat rather than vertically -- but everything is very tidy in my closet right now.

I'm trying to organize a clothing swap with some of my pals. Hopefully we can do it in the month of April. My goal will be to bring almost nothing out of the swap though -- only if something is perfect and I love it (not just think it might be useful someday or something). We're moving this summer so I need to vastly reduce the size of my junkload, not add it to it.

That's good to hear!  So did you do as she suggests, and put out ALL your clothes (on the floor or on the bed) to go through them all at once?  I haven't taken that big step yet, but I am close to doing it!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1376 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:52 AM »
Found this article in an other thread. Pretty much nails it imo.

Another good article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/boomers-unwanted-inheritance/2015/03/27/0e75ff6e-45c4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Stuff it:  Millenials nix their parents' treasures.

Millennials dont' want all the things their Baby Boomer parents want to pass down to them.  There is a lot of stuff now that nobody seems to want.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1377 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Another good purge this morning, this time of wallets and small leather goods. I have listed everything I think has some value on ebay. A few bits set to go to the charity shop, and two item I forgot I had which I plan to use day to day!

I also went through shoes and boots, and got rid of 5 pairs. Now they all fit properly in their designated area with room to breathe, instead of all being squished and jumbled which made it hard and inconvenient to put my shoes away each day.

I'm also noticing how much easier life is with no stuff. Easy to clean - something I've always hated, but now I find myself doing bits here and there willingly when I notice it needs doing. It's a combination of not having to move or work around anything, and the fact that my cleaning products and cloths are not all shoved into too small a space meaning pulling one out results in a tumble I then have to struggle to cram back in.

I currently have 18 auctions going on ebay, including a pair of brand new jeans my husband pulled out the other day. I have been careful not to touch any of his stuff, or nag him to get rid of items. He just brought them to me when I was listing other stuff, and said, "I tried these on the other day and decided I'm never going to wear them", and that was that. It seems leading by example is working (this is a major thing for a guy who never gets rid of clothing. Though to be fair it's pretty hard to get him to buy anything either, which is an improvement on my 'buy it all, and STILL never get rid of anything' model).

I'm still tallying everything up for my 2015 things out of the house in 2015 personal challenge. Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1378 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
I'm still tallying everything up for my 2015 things out of the house in 2015 personal challenge. Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!

That's awesome! I'm around 310 items now, but same thing as you, haven't missed a single thing! I was amazed going through the garage this weekend at the stuff I found that I'd forgotten completely about.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1379 on: April 01, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
Just broke 750 items! And still, I have not missed a single one!
I didn't keep count, but I haven't missed one thing, too. (Not even my car)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1380 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

That's awesome! I'm around 310 items now, but same thing as you, haven't missed a single thing! I was amazed going through the garage this weekend at the stuff I found that I'd forgotten completely about.
Well done cookie!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1381 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

I didn't keep count, but I haven't missed one thing, too. (Not even my car)

Isn't it incredible? I would not have considered myself to have much unused stuff in the house... but I would have thought the house was nice and clean too, and getting to the back of every nook and cranny has shown me that isn't the case either!

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1382 on: April 01, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »

Another good article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/boomers-unwanted-inheritance/2015/03/27/0e75ff6e-45c4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Millennials dont' want all the things their Baby Boomer parents want to pass down to them.  There is a lot of stuff now that nobody seems to want.

Yeah, I'll be dealing with this. My mom has a lot of things that were passed on by family, plus whatever else she's accumulated. Some things I want, I'm sure my sister wants some things, but the majority we do not want. Luckily, mom isn't a pack rat and is working on clearing out. I suspect that what will happen eventually is we'll offer things to family/friends, then sell or donate whatever's left.

Though the really hard part will be I know there's a few things that both my sister and I want!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1383 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
Sold a box of craft supplies for $45. Got rid of a bag of torn, stained clothes. Progress!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1384 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »

Another good article:

Yeah, I'll be dealing with this. My mom has a lot of things that were passed on by family, plus whatever else she's accumulated. Some things I want, I'm sure my sister wants some things, but the majority we do not want. Luckily, mom isn't a pack rat and is working on clearing out. I suspect that what will happen eventually is we'll offer things to family/friends, then sell or donate whatever's left.

Though the really hard part will be I know there's a few things that both my sister and I want!

Great article! This was the mindset I had when I was decluttering. Deal with things now instead of 10/20/30 years later - I never want to be a situation where other people have to clean out massive piles of stuff on my behalf (upon death, etc). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1385 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
@theadvicist, My son needs a wallet! Haha! Am I the only one here who reads other people's lists and thinks, "Oh my gosh, I totally would have taken that!"? (Not sure if I've punctuated that correctly, but you get my drift)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1386 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:20 AM »
@theadvicist, My son needs a wallet! Haha! Am I the only one here who reads other people's lists and thinks, "Oh my gosh, I totally would have taken that!"? (Not sure if I've punctuated that correctly, but you get my drift)

Yep, I do too! Don't worry though, he can go and pick it up at the charity shop now!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1387 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »

Yep, I do too! Don't worry though, he can go and pick it up at the charity shop now!

You're right!!!!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1388 on: April 02, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »

Maybe instead of just meet ups, we should have item swap meet ups?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1389 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »

Maybe instead of just meet ups, we should have item swap meet ups?

But that's my point, we have swap meet ups already - I drop stuff I don't need at a charity shop, you swing by and pick it up for pence on the pound, and charity benefits! It's exactly that, on a wider scale so there is more chance of people finding just what they need. Plus, you know, England is a long way for most of you to come for a used wallet :)

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »

Another good article:

Great article! This was the mindset I had when I was decluttering. Deal with things now instead of 10/20/30 years later - I never want to be a situation where other people have to clean out massive piles of stuff on my behalf (upon death, etc).

Can you convince my mom to get rid of the all the "family stuff" that we do not want? I don't care who owned it, I'm not taking it!

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1391 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
We are going through this now with my mom's estate.  My dad passed nearly 5 years ago, my mom 6 months ago.  She had a home in Wisconsin, I live in arizona and my one sibling is in NC.  40 years of stuff to go thru and we only get home for a few long weekends (4 days at a time) every other month or so?  It's going to take us until eternity. 

Note:  it would go MUCH faster if she hadn't had hidden money in EVERYTHING.  $1 here, $5 there, $100 every now and again.  We have to go thru EVERY.SINGLE.ITEM!  (the treasure hunt is fun but man alive, it's going to take a lifetime....)

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1392 on: April 03, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Hot_AZ, if you are doing trips to Wisconsin only for the decluttering, would it make sense to just do it in one shot and be done with it? Are the hidden $1s and $5s worth your multiple plane tickets? (Times two if your sibling is flying in every time too)

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1393 on: April 03, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Sold my first on eBay :) one less item as clutter and more money in my pocket. Now eyeing what else I can put on eBay and get a profit (I have a self imposed limit of $30 when I'm trying to sell on eBay. Otherwise its not worth the hassle.)

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #1394 on: April 03, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
@Hot_AZ - when my mother moved to assisted living, my sister and I spent about 8-10 days (using vacation time) going through the entire house, sorting as we went. I drove in from Washington state and she came from Hawaii, and we dug in. It turned out that I did most of the house while she spent the entire week in the office! While it was exhausting but oddly companionable (there was a lot of "look at this!" and "why did s/he save this??!!", it all got done. At the end we scheduled a charity to come and pick up what family members didn't want. I had time to check pockets, ventilators (my dad was prone to putting jars of coins in them), and everywhere my mom or dad could stash cash. Would something like that work for you two? After my mom was in assisted living for awhile, we went ahead and sold the house (and put the costs towards her care). That way none of us had to deal with an empty house and possible vandalism, squatters, etc.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1395 on: April 03, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I should clarify, those $1 here and $1 there have added up to over 100k so far.  We don't feel comfortable having someone else come in and assist.  I only accrue 1 day of vacation a month and my brother and I both have families with children.  His wife is in the military, mine works a job that has hours some days starting at 5am, some days he ends at 8:30pm (depends on the day).  He can't really facilitate the daycare/school thing for very long without assistance.  Neither my brother or I have family in our respective states.

So for now, we're doing what we can on those 4 day weekends.  The first 2 trips home were for funerals (my mom's and then my godmothers) so part of the time home was spent for those services.  We will do a longer trip (hopefully) at the end of this summer/fall to finish out the estate. 

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1396 on: April 03, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Hot AZ, that's a lot of cash. I can see why you don't want strangers coming in to help. Don't know if its practical, but would it make sense to rent a trunk and load everything in? You could then drive home, and go through things there.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1397 on: April 03, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
@sibley, not sure that works.  We would have to split the stuff and get 2 trucks (one to AZ and one to NC).  My life is a mess right now, we're trying to finish this AND sell our house/move to Wyoming before school starts at the end of August.  I think I need to start thinking about quitting/taking a leave of absence to get it all done.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1398 on: April 03, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
That's a lot on your plate. Good luck!

Note to self - don't stash cash all over the house.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1399 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
@sibley... my mom warned us for years.  She thought it was hilarious!  Not so funny for us now but it does give my brother and i bonding time when we're at her house since we both go sans families.  Loads to do but "i have a spreadsheet for that" (ugh, seriously Type A over here).