Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 773616 times)

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1250 on: March 16, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »
OK, I'm pretty good at finding new homes for clothes and general household stuff, but I'm stuck on jars of 5 and 10c coins. Help!

Commonwealth (and probably others) has machines you can dump your change into and they'll convert it to electronic money. You can look on your bank's website and see if they do it. Last time I took my bucket in, it was over $200!

Ooooh. That might be a goer. We did take one jar of coins to the local op shop but they were closed. *sigh*

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1251 on: March 16, 2015, 06:12:31 AM »
@HappierAtHome - sentimental stuff is the hardest.  I donated little china animal figurines a while ago, all from my childhood.  That was hard.  But they were sitting in a box and I never had them out, so why keep them?  So I kept the two I liked the most now, and have them out, and donated the rest.  And I don't miss the ones I donated.  Remembering that whole exercise helps when I go through sentimental things - is it truly something I want to keep, in which case why is it living in a box, or is it inertia?

The possibility that I might be putting the house on the market in the summer of 2016 and moving 4500 km away certainly gives me motivation.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1252 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »
I'm afraid my first piece of decluttering grief has reared its ugly head...

My friend gave me an sports bra which no longer fits her, because I was saying I needed a new one. I looked at it, realised it was totally the wrong size, and put it straight in the donate bag. Off it went...

She text me the other night... Whoops, that wasn't the sports bra I gave you! It was a nursing bra, can I have it back?

Uh oh.

(but also, don't let me put you off. I've got rid of over 600 things so far this year and I haven't missed a single one! Just maybe think twice when you are expecting something in your size and what you get is totally different... should have put two and two together).

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1253 on: March 16, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »
I also have some laptops which are no longer at all useable / re-sellable, but which I've hung on to as I didn't know how to clear my personal information from them before recycling. I know I need to remove the hard drive, but how?? I have no computer knowledge at all. Suspect the BF has at least one old computer for which he needs to do the same. Maybe I should make friends with somebody with IT expertise (or even basic general IT knowledge...).
Open laptop.
Remove HDD.
Smash HDD with sledge hammer.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1254 on: March 16, 2015, 10:11:31 PM »
I have just finished 3 weeks of arduous work painting and prepping a house for sale and it's now on the market as of today! It was a rental house for 9 years and finally the market was high enough to consider selling it. We still have several other rental houses though, so my burden is only slightly lessened. I have a garage full of supplies that *might* be used at one of the houses, and a couple of them are furnished, so besides building and painting supplies, I have decor items and tons of cleansers and such. It all feels so burdensome, but I hesitate to get rid of it for fear of needing it. Not quite sure how to deal with the situation.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1255 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »
Practical magic, maybe store it in craigslist?

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1256 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:43 AM »
I started with decluttering our wardrobe today. Got rid of some old panties, bikinis and socks.
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1257 on: March 17, 2015, 12:20:46 PM »
Practical magic, maybe store it in craigslist?

Haha, I'm thinking that's a good idea!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles

oldladystache

• Bristles
« Reply #1259 on: March 17, 2015, 07:41:18 PM »
I did it. moved four months ago to a 560 sq ft place with carport from my 1300 ft house with double garage. I just took what I really needed, then for three months I went back for things I discovered I needed. There was a huge amount remaining.

I invited friends to come and take whatever they wanted. I took some things to donate, and I sold the few things of significant value. Then I had a huge sale. Didn't make much money but the stuff found a home. Everything left went out on the driveway with a free sign. Then I had the trash people pick up the rest. Had painters and handyman and carpet installers and cleaners spend a busy week.

Put it on the market and sold it in four days. Escrow closes April ten.

Hooray.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1260 on: March 17, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
I did it. moved four months ago to a 560 sq ft place with carport from my 1300 ft house with double garage. I just took what I really needed, then for three months I went back for things I discovered I needed. There was a huge amount remaining.

I invited friends to come and take whatever they wanted. I took some things to donate, and I sold the few things of significant value. Then I had a huge sale. Didn't make much money but the stuff found a home. Everything left went out on the driveway with a free sign. Then I had the trash people pick up the rest. Had painters and handyman and carpet installers and cleaners spend a busy week.

Hooray.

Congrats!! That is extreme decluttering!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1261 on: March 17, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »

Hooray.

This is so great! Great move, excellent inspiring decluttering.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1262 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:03 PM »
Brought some jewellery in (mostly presents from ex boyfriends!) to see if a jewellery-loving colleague would like it. She thinks some of it is worth actual money and has offered to list it on ebay and share the proceeds - even after I insisted that I was happy for her to just have it.

Let's see if I make a little cash :-)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1263 on: March 18, 2015, 11:41:19 AM »
I am feeling pleased at how far I have gotten with this ...and just got given another piece of furniture.  It is free and means we will not be buying one of these as planned but it sort of sticks in my craw.  I keep a list of objects entering the house and I am realising that there is some conflict in me between saving money and de-cluttering.  They both feel good, but sometimes I acquire something for free or very cheap that is not really what I want and is a stop gap.It is not a great feeling.

Just writing this has convinced me to take it to the thrift store.  Phew.  Thank heavens for this thread!!!!!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1264 on: March 18, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
MMM wrote about this (of course)

Yes, and somehow I always still laugh when I "hear" it. ;-)

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1265 on: March 19, 2015, 05:26:24 AM »

Hooray.
Awesome! You are inspiring us to do something similar though at a smaller scale. We are going from 1200+ sqft to 900 sqft. Your idea of moving the must haves and then decluttering is brilliant. Going to run it by the husband!

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #1266 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:55 AM »
OK, I'm pretty good at finding new homes for clothes and general household stuff, but I'm stuck on jars of 5 and 10c coins. Help!

Long story short, when we got DH's stuff out of storage last year, there were 3 or 4 jars of coins, ie loose change. We've picked out all the high value coins and spent them, but now we're down to 5 and 10c coins - 3 jars worth. We can't use them up on parking, cos the meters are all restricted to a maximum number of coins (although we could probably get through a few 10c coings) plus they don't accept 5c coins these days. I'm guessing there's maybe $10 worth of shrapnel, give or take a bit.

What's the best way to get rid of it? I'm happy to give it away to charity. I've even considered dumping the coins on a footpath near a school for kids to find. I could possibly take it to a bank and see if they'll count it for us, but neither of us have done it in 6 months, so unlikely to happen any time soon - we just never go to a bank, and dunno which ones will accept piles of coins from non-business customers. (I've read that the US has Coinstar which would be awesome, but I don't think such a thing exists here)

Feels like such a stupid thing to be stuck on, but I just want them gone now.

I take spare coins and put them in a coin purse. I dish them out to everyone. I am quick to count the coins though (and dont do massive transactions) so I dont piss off people behind me. Most shops are really pleased to get change actually and some will ask for more of it.

Another way to get rid of it is in train ticket machines? Or for small purchases like newspapers or a bar of chocolate. I kind of treat it as found money so I buy stuff with it that I might not normally.

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1267 on: March 19, 2015, 07:50:09 AM »

Hooray.
This is very similar to what I'm in process of doing. We live in a ~2800sqft house with an oversized two car garage and are trying to buy a 960sqft townhome with a one car garage. I want to do it exactly how you said, move what I know we need and then bring over what we find later we need and missed then just get rid of what's left. And if we can sell our house in four days like you I'd be ecstatic!  :)

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1268 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
I got rid of a huge framed picture hanging.  It was gorgeous and I still liked it, but it sucks to move because it pops out of the frame.  Now I can hang other pretty pictures there instead.

I also sold my motorcycle.  Bam! But this doesn't count since I only sold it so I had cash for a new (to me, but cheaper and bigger engine) one.  Did NOT want to risk not being able to sell my first one and having two sitting in my garage stall.  I would cringe every time I saw the 'money' sitting there.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1269 on: March 20, 2015, 12:38:47 AM »
My husband offered our big old piano to someone at work. We have a new one gifted to us by my parents, so why was I keeping the old one? For one of the kids when they get married. Well, I thought about that old MMM article about using Craiglist and the library as a place to store your goods till you need them again. When you look on CL, there are free pianos popping up every day, so my kids will be able to get one that way and I will be free of this gigantic upright piano in my living room (across the room from the OTHER piano!). For a while, I thought I was emotionally attached to the piano since all of my kids learned to play on it, but if they're not attached to it, why should I be either?

Such a DUH moment when I realized we should do this. The fellow at work mentioned at the staff Christmas party that he would like to get his little girls a piano someday, so its a perfect situation! Everyone's happy!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1270 on: March 20, 2015, 06:35:05 AM »
And in the meantime 1967 you've given some kid the gift of music! Lovely story where everyone benefits.

Driftwood

• Stubble
« Reply #1271 on: March 20, 2015, 08:07:15 AM »
I've been getting rid of stuff for a few years now.  We're moving to the UK in a few months (military) so that's motivating both my wife (OK with getting rid of stuff we don't need), and I (obsessed about having as little as possible) to trim out more unecessary things before we move.  We don't know what size house will be available, so we've been trying to get set up to be able to fit in a much smaller house.

Biggest win:  We've been talking for a year or so about getting rid of our huge sectional.  We bought it new in 2004 for $2700 (more than my first car) and absolutely love it.  Still in good condition.  Of the three sides (think a U shape) we only use 2.  The biggest issue is that it usually only fits in one room one way in each place we've lived.  If we end up in a house that doesn't fit it well we're screwed.  My wife finally decided we should sell it (I've wanted to sell it for awhile).  She found a replacement (couch with chaise that can be switched from side to side) and a matching chair with ottoman for $200.  Then she sold the sectional for $500!
*Nothing I post should be taken too seriously*

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1272 on: March 20, 2015, 12:10:08 PM »
What do you do with things you know u'll need in a year or two? We have a ton of baby stuff that we know we'll use for baby#2. We are also moving from a two bedroom apartment to a one bed one and have extra furniture. We are planning to move back to a two bed apartment next year. Should I keep them in storage or just sell and rebuy?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1273 on: March 20, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »
What do you do with things you know u'll need in a year or two? We have a ton of baby stuff that we know we'll use for baby#2. We are also moving from a two bedroom apartment to a one bed one and have extra furniture. We are planning to move back to a two bed apartment next year. Should I keep them in storage or just sell and rebuy?

One year I'd keep - the effort of selling and the possible inability to buy/sell at prices I'd accept wouldn't be worth it to me.  Indefinite or really long time I'd sell.  I have friends that gave away their baby stuff planning on only one kid.  Then they changed their minds, but they had already given away all of the clothes and they're unhappy about that now.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1274 on: March 20, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »

How much do you have to pay for storage?  If you have it in the apartment, absolutely keep it.  If you have to get external storage, I'd estimate how much you are actually paying for the storage vs paying to rebuy it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1275 on: March 20, 2015, 04:31:42 PM »
Spring cleaning is making me pissed at the stuff that is sitting around requiring dusting, so I'm finding a whole new round of stuff to take to the thrift store - throw pillows, ramekins (wtf, I have 14 ramekins?!).  I'm even feeling less sentimental about some things that came from family and thinking I might be ready to get rid of them soon.  Combined some random partially filled toiletries - like, mixed the assorted conditioners together - and getting rid of bottles.  Tossed out a 15 year wine cork collection - I am never going to get around to making a bulletin board out of those.  Pared a few more items out of my wardrobe while switching out some of the winter and spring clothes.

Also decluttering the pantry via getting rid of stuff we just don't eat any more.  This is a giant savings because I like my kitchen better and no longer want to tear it out and replace it with one that has more storage.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1276 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »
I dropped off a little bag of odds and ends that had accumulated today, it was half a dozen or a dozen things.  Time to start another donation bag or box, I guess!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1277 on: March 21, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »
Posted some things online for free on a Facebook group. Have had a few people show up to take away my things! Some of them are taking a look at the pile to find other things I haven't posted yet, that they might be able to use. Feeling lighter already.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1278 on: March 21, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
I've been from finding a lot of random things to donate, recycle , or toss just about everyday! Guess I'm on a roll now. So far today: sunglasses I never wear because are not polarized, cellphone holder I never use, various essential oils I found but do not like scents ( must be more discerning of what I bring in- not just take because free or found), extra nail clippers, tweezers, box.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #1279 on: March 22, 2015, 06:19:46 PM »
Lugged three bags on foot to the nearest op-shop and donated everything inside. My bedroom floor is now completely clean!

Next stop, selling the stuff that's actually worth something.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »
Got rid of boxes and boxes of old papers on the weekend. Mostly uni-related - it's more than five years since I graduated now!

We cleared out our wine collection, by getting rid of some bottles kept for sentimental reasons, and giving away most of the rest.

Several more big bags have been filled with things for charity, including some good quality kitchen things that we'll just never use.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1281 on: March 23, 2015, 04:24:20 AM »
Love reading everyone's successes on this thread!

My cull rate is definitely slowing down. At first I was reluctant to let things go, and very picky. Then I realised how much better I felt and got ruthless! But now I've got rid of so much stuff most of what I have I regularly use. I think.

So this weekend I went through my wardrobe and turned all the hangers. I thought I didn't need to do this exercise because I know which things I don't wear but am holding onto for silly reasons (wore it on a special date, don't like how it fits but it was expensive etc). But I'm hoping it will make me see that I NEVER wear them, so there is no point keeping them 'just in case I need them'. We will see.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1282 on: March 23, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
This is cool.

The other day I was going through my cupboards, and noticed I had plenty of empty space in them. Looked around the apartment, on the table, on my desk etc, and there just wasn't any stuff to store in the cupboards!
So next step: ditch a cupboard.?

(please forgive me if I use the wrong word for closet/cupboard/cabinet ;) )

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1283 on: March 23, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
We are getting a dumpster tomorrow to tear out the basement.  While it is here I'll be making sure it is full all the way to the brim!  I hope after the basement destruction that there is space for a good deal of other crap in the house.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #1284 on: March 23, 2015, 08:02:35 AM »
This is cool.

The other day I was going through my cupboards, and noticed I had plenty of empty space in them. Looked around the apartment, on the table, on my desk etc, and there just wasn't any stuff to store in the cupboards!
So next step: ditch a cupboard.?

(please forgive me if I use the wrong word for closet/cupboard/cabinet ;) )

Kinda jealous of you, I'm still in the process of figuring out my kitchen haha, and its been kinda a goal for about a year.  I do little things here and there, but I'm nowhere close to having just empty cupboards.  This weekend I realized that I was not using my top shelves efficiently at all.  Instead of keeping rarely used things up there it was more like never used things, and rarely used things had migrated to a shelving unit in the dining area.  So, I threw out a bunch of old gross plastic tupaware that I replaced over a year ago with nicer glass tupaware, and plus relocated a couple things to their "proper" location.  Basically the top shelves in all of my cabinets were totally cleared out.  My kitchen exists on two walls, so my new strategy is to dedicate cabinets on one side as the "pantry" (I don't have a real pantry), and the other side to cookware/glassware/silverware.

I'm hoping this will be kinda a catalyst to the rest of my apartment.  The idea being that if I can get rid of the one shelving unit the dining table will fit better within the actual dining area, then the living room has more space.  This should hopefully work well with the plan of removing some of the other too large or unnecessary furniture in my apartment.   OK this was longer than I intended but I'm kinda excited about all this.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1285 on: March 23, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
To all the declutterers on this thread, I am curious to know…with all of this de-cluttering are you finding that you are no longer bringing much into the house?  Is the act of getting rid of so much stuff that once cost money and now has no use to you causing you to shift your shopping mindset?

What habits have you changed since you started on this quest? 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1286 on: March 23, 2015, 11:16:43 AM »
To all the declutterers on this thread, I am curious to know…with all of this de-cluttering are you finding that you are no longer bringing much into the house?  Is the act of getting rid of so much stuff that once cost money and now has no use to you causing you to shift your shopping mindset?

Absolutely. I actually can't think of a single 'thing' that I've bought since I started at the beginning of the year that wasn't a consumable, like food or medicine, or something I've used immediately, like the screws to finish my deck steps. I'm even turning away free things that people want to give me. The only things I will accept are those that I know I will use, like food.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1287 on: March 23, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
Working hard at this, goal was to get rid of 100 things a week (yes, I have too much stuff).  This weekend i took a huge garbage bag to Goodwill, it was so large and so heavy i had to use the car as leverage to roll the bag into the back of my CRV!  Feels good, that was 2 weeks worth and i'm sure there was more than 200 items (clothing, shoes, household knick knacks, bits of yarn and other miscellaneous).

We're hoping to move from AZ to WY this summer and i need to move as little as possible, this is my chance to start fresh! 

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1288 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »

I've never really brought much into my home, since I've always had smaller spaces. The problem is, my places have always had lots of storage space, which I would utilize unnecessarily.

My big habit that's changed is ignoring stuff that's out of sight. My desire to get rid of stuff used to end when things were out of sight in a closet, cupboard, or drawer. Now that the visual stuff is gone, I'm definitely noticing hidden clutter way more, and dealing with it.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1289 on: March 23, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

Definitely! Wait, actually, no, it was the other way around. I started using YNAB and stopped buying stuff because I was focussing on building net worth. Then I found MMM and cut back on purchasing things even more. Basically, if it's not consumable, I don't buy it. Very few exceptions for quality pieces that will last a long long time. But yes, key to seeing a difference in available space is not bringing anything in, for sure.

Whenever I 'want' something, I wait. And then I wait some more. And then if I really want it and can justify its use, I look to buy it used.

I would not have said I was a big shopper at all- I have never shopped for entertainment and avoided knick knacks etc. But I did like to try new things - toiletries, make up, foodstuffs. Forcing myself to use up every bottle of lotion and packet of wild rice has really made me stick to only buying things I know I like and will actually USE, instead of just wanting to be kind of person who has saffron in the cupboard, without any recipes to use it up in mind.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1290 on: March 23, 2015, 11:49:31 AM »
What I failed to explain in my previous post is that when I stopped buying things, I realised how much of the joy was in the buying, not the using. And it made me see that these things I had weren't bringing me any pleasure, they were a burden. Acquiring them was fun, but in a weird way, that meant they had fulfilled their purpose. Using them up was not fun, and it has put me off buying anything else, and encouraged me to unload those things I don't use and want anymore.

mara

• Stubble
  • Age of enlightenment
« Reply #1291 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
Wonderful thread! I have been reading Francing Jay, too. We did a big cleanup over the weekend and took a pickup truck full of stuff to dump, and packed a box of household stuff and a bag of clothes for Goodwill. This morning I cleaned out 1 shelf in the linen closet. I set up a card table in the bathroom and put all the contents of the shelf on the table, sorted through what I really wanted, and made a beautifully organized shelf out of it. Cleaning one shelf per day should work great.

There's so much more cleaning to do, but, at the same time, a big challenge is to only acquire new things thoughtfully and sensibly.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1292 on: March 23, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »
I dropped off a box load of books and DVDs to the local used bookstore and got a grand total of….... $7! Books and DVDs hold the lowest value after use :( no more buying books or DVDs.

Not to mention, any more books or DVDs I find go to good will. So not worth the hassle!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1293 on: March 23, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »

It's kind of a non-vicious circle.

I'd already started buying significantly less / bringing much less into the house. But yes, decluttering is definitely helping me to shift my mindset about 'enough' and to be a bit harsher in my decisions about what I allow in (almost all our Christmas presents were donated immediately, for example).

I think decluttering has changed my procrastination habit. I'm so grumpy at past-Happier for keeping all this crap for me to deal with, that I'm dealing with stuff NOW instead of leaving it for when we move house.

And it has shifted my understanding of what actually brings me joy. I'm not a very sentimental person, it turns out :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1294 on: March 23, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
Going out this week:

- air hockey table (HUGE)
- IKEA bar stool
- stereo speaker
- 6 kid dress up costumes
- 2 bags of clothes
- toddler bed

Its all sitting by the door waiting for a truck to come on Wednesday. Sadly, that doesn't even make a dent in what we yet have to get rid of! I was telling my husband MMM's theory of storing your goods at the library/thrift store/Craig's list and he thought that sounded very wise.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1295 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:08 AM »

I think decluttering has changed my procrastination habit.

This is true for me too. I realised a lot of my clutter was stuff I didn't know what to do with, or stuff I didn't want to throw away because I had to deal with it 'right' (eg recycling, giving away etc). I have been forcing myself to just MAKE A DECISION and it feels better. Someone upthread said 'clutter is delayed decisions' and for me that was and is very true.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1296 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »

It's been a slow process, but over the years I had already come to realize that maybe I don't need to buy and own that much stuff.
Various events, experiences, books, lectures etc have contributed to this idea.
So I hadn't been buying much anyway over the last few years.

Reading MMM, this thread and videos from Joshua Becker and Ryan Nicodemus & Joshua Fields Millburn just inspired me to take it a bit further.
So since I started decluttering plm 3 months ago I hardly bought anything apart from food, but I doubt I would have if I hadn't been decluttering.

Another stack of books (8 or so) given to charity today, by the way :-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:56:34 AM by DagobertDuck »

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1297 on: March 24, 2015, 05:46:22 PM »
Went through a garbage bag of teddy bears that my adult daughter had collected out of her little siblings bedrooms. Only kept out 3 for sentimental value. I should really start a box for each child with a few special things from their childhood. Does anyone else do this?

My mom has a box in the attic. Not going to argue with her since she's been de-cluttering a lot, and wants to get at the stuff in the attic next.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1298 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
One of those lumpy too-soft pillows that's so ancient I don't even know where it came from. And a mismatched pillowcase.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1299 on: March 24, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
Wow, there is some serious decluttering going on on this thread.  I do not have any to report per se, however the feeling of ease and enjoyment in our uncluttered spaces continues unabated.  My uncle came over the other day and could not stop talking about how beautifully we had fixed the house up and how great the new paint job looks.  Of course nothing has been painted, or fixed up, I simply decluttered and am keeping each room clutter-free. 

I still have a lot of papers in storage right now which need to be tossed/scanned/filed but they can wait until after Christmas.

I am working on how to declutter my Christmas preparation which still includes loads of presents, mailing cards and having a big messy wrapping station on the dining room table.  I have managed to use almost every gift in my gift drawer and do not plan to continue to have one.  I am using up all the old wrapping and ribbon and cards (I am ashamed to say that I am actually using some that someone else was tossing out).  I find the mess created by  having the wrapping stuff out for more than one day is messing with my serenity.  Note to self…not doing that next year.

Next year I want to cut back on the number of kids we give gifts to and put the Christmas card info into a database so I can print labels.  I know the card thing is outdated but it is an old fashioned thing I like and it is a way of keeping in touch with elderly friends abroad.

I aslo want to move more and more into baking gifts instead of buying them. 

One final part, we have always driven around delivering to houses, and it takes a lot of time and energy.  When we were younger it was like an all day party but now it is a slog.  I definitely want to examine this for next year.

Do any of you guys make this time of year too complicated?

I do Christmas cards. I have all the addresses in an excel file and just update it as needed. When I'm ready to do the labels, I do a mail merge in Word. Works great.