Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 735680 times)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1100 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Midway through clearing out my old room. Old clothes/books are easy to toss, but looking through old school yearbooks/mementos sure bring back memories. No matter, they're all getting decluttered too!

Before throwing away some yearbooks last year, I took pics of several pages, but in the uploading process all the photos were all lost. I guess I didn't need them after all!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1101 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Cleaned up our gift box and decluttered our coat box - donating our unused coats tomorrow. Also found a few gifts that others will enjoy. Will give them away tomorrow. Next on the list: taxes!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1102 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »
Another 4 garments and a pair of shoes to goodwill, some random stuff in the bin, and 2 DVD's given away on fb group.

HappierAtHome

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1103 on: February 15, 2015, 03:27:46 AM »
Went through my clothes again and found another four or five things to donate!

onemorebike

• Stubble
« Reply #1104 on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:39 AM »
Yes! This!

We had about a dozen people come by the house yesterday to purchase stuff we listed on CL. We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month (and I would say we live pretty minimally!). Granted when we get to the other side of this move, we'll replace some of it, but man is our move going to be soooo much easier!

got rid of a carful of crap over the weekend. it's like peeling an onion -- i keep finding new levels of shit to get rid of.

all of this de-cluttering is making the process of packing for our upcoming move MUCH easier.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1105 on: February 15, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
Onemorebike , that's great! Selling items is the part of this process that I am the worst with! It goes from procrastination , to deciding (eventually) to donate or keep... Very inspiring to read about all the money you are making.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1106 on: February 15, 2015, 08:29:12 AM »
On a side note, doing this major decluttering (again) has got me inspired to get back into a former side business helping others to organize & declutter. Business cards (cheap via vista print) are in the mail. Now its cosmetology, art shows, and this- three fun ways to build up my cushion ( and begin to invest shortly) after becoming debt free last year .

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1107 on: February 15, 2015, 09:13:57 AM »
This thread has inspired me to deal with my least favorite decluttering activities.

DH and I bought this house partially furnished. It had been the vacation rental of a family that lived a few states away. Since we moved in, I've been steadily getting rid of stuff. The previous homeowner's view of "partially furnished" involved about 3 times as much stuff as I like in my permanent home. Now, I'm down to things like the cleaning supplies and other consumables that the house came with. I've tried to use up what I could, because I hate throwing stuff away, but if it hasn't been used after several years it is time to go.

I'm not emotionally attached to this stuff, I just hate dealing with it because disposal is complicated. Stuff can be composted, thrown in the garbage, recycled curbside, recycled at a place where they take what the city won't, taken to hazmat/ewaste/prescription drug day at the dump, given to someone that I know will use it or even occasionally donated.

Life was much simpler when we just threw everything in the garbage without thinking of the consequences. :-/

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1108 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
I am working on cleaning… but also decluttering / putting things away, and also taxes this weekend.  I am loving it when a surface looks better than when I started!!!   My floor is clean of laundry, I straightened a dresser-top.  There are more surfaces to contend with for sure!

I am having a hard time figuring out how to get rid of things.  It is so putzy.  I have some things I could sell on Ebay but is it a good use of my time? 

Maybe I should do a little at a time, but then the stuff hangs around so much longer.  What do you think?

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1109 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
@LadyDriver - have you considered giving those cleaning supplies to perhaps a mission or women's shelter that could possibly use them? 
“Economy is a poor man’s revenue; extravagance a rich man’s ruin.” -Lydia Maria Francis Child, The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy

"The taste of the bait ain't worth the pain of the hook."-Porter Freeman

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1110 on: February 15, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
@LadyDriver - have you considered giving those cleaning supplies to perhaps a mission or women's shelter that could possibly use them?

I have already separated and sent along the stuff they want. Nobody wants 1/3 full containers of 10 year old mystery brand fiberglass polisher. Old enough to be ineffective, young enough to be toxic.

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1111 on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:52 AM »
ahhh LadyDriver, I see what you mean.  The metro area we used to live in had a 'toxic dump' kind of day where you could bring in half cans of paint, oil, cleaning, pharmaceuticals, etc. to be disposed of properly.  Anything like that in a city near you?
“Economy is a poor man’s revenue; extravagance a rich man’s ruin.” -Lydia Maria Francis Child, The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1112 on: February 15, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
ahhh LadyDriver, I see what you mean.  The metro area we used to live in had a 'toxic dump' kind of day where you could bring in half cans of paint, oil, cleaning, pharmaceuticals, etc. to be disposed of properly.  Anything like that in a city near you?

Yep, we have a household hazmat day quarterly at the local transfer station. I've got a box full of lightbulbs, dead batteries, and other junk ready to go.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1113 on: February 15, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »
Maybe use the blue recycling bags?  They are sort of see-through. To be even more careful, use the ones that tie for recycling, and the ones that have a drawstring for storage?  They are strong, I use mine for shredded paper and that gets quite heavy.

Problem -- not enough receptacles in which to store my give-away items!

I don't like using garbage bags because once, my ever so helpful husband threw away a full bag of beautiful sweaters that were like new.

Any suggestions?

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1114 on: February 15, 2015, 04:40:47 PM »
I've been on vacation so no decluttering.   I did manage to do very little shopping while away, and the few things I bought were all bought with purpose.  I also managed to not bring back all the paper that I accumulated on the week away.  Paperwork for the flights home (bookings, boarding passes) have been shredded and passport is in its regular place.  It feels good.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1115 on: February 15, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
I got a nice free sweatshirt for opening a new bank account. (Because I wanted to use their coin counter without the 9% fee). I was prepared not to take it if it was ugly at least, lol, but that was sure not decluttering. But I hope this makes up for it- today I got two things taken by freecyclers; I donated a box of things and 2 paper bags of clothes last week. And filled a trash bag with trash at the same time I was filling the box of donatable things. I was sorting through my old stuff from my parents' house.

I am starting to really feel comfy getting rid of stuff now.  I think within six months I will be down to my favorite things.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1116 on: February 16, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
KD,
"
After cleaning out my inlaw's home and my brother's home after they passed?  We BUMPED our donations up and our buying down so as to not have our children E.V.E.R. having to go thru so much stuff if something were to happen to us.

I know what you mean.  I went to a yard sale run by a 93 year old woman's 70 year old daughter.  The sheer volume was exhausting.  I didn't even want to consider what had to get tossed.  The mother had so much in the way of china, linens and books it blew my mind.  Her daughter was super organised and fortunately had friends who stepped in to help her.  I don;t want to be doing that at 70 hers old for anyone or have anyone have to do it for me.

My parents have been letting things go for years which makes our lives a lot easier I must say.  Even so we are about to embark on stage two of a major clean out before they move to assisted living or such like and it will take a lot of my energy.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: February 16, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
onemorebike,

We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month

That is inspiring.  Not only have you decluttered but you have had the energy to deal with putting all that stuff on sale and dealing with the buyers…Congratulations!!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1118 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
So!  I needed up at a yard sale by mistake, sort of.  I was with friends who were going to a yard sale preview at a fancy house and I asked to join them to see the house.  Of course I was repulsed by the piles of stuff and simultaneously my eyes were looking, looking, looking for something for me amongst the high end china and doodads. Old habits die hard.

I bought an outdoor table and chairs for $20 that need some paint and that we can definitely use.  I also bought a needlepoint rug for $10 that will fit nowhere!  However it may be useful in staging my parents' house for sale so all is not lost.

When my DH took me to pick up the furniture I asked him about something else and he firmly said that perhaps we should repair all the broken stuff we have before bringing anything else into the house that needs mending.  Thank goodness for him!

I have had a pattern in the past of buying things that are cheap and damaged and I think that if I had saved that money and bought just one or two things of good quality I would be very happy. I am putting a list in my phone of the few things I am interested in acquiring to complete our house (curtains for one room, etc). 

No more yard sales!!!!  Now to get out the brass brush and the spray paint to make my new furniture ready for use!

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1119 on: February 16, 2015, 09:24:48 AM »
Yes wintersun on the 'broken stuff' - I'm a bit of a rehabber myself so I've enjoyed fixing things over the years.  However the wiser more prudent track is to need less, buy quality (at a discount if possible), take care of it, and leave the fixables to someone else just now.

Nice idea to keep a list.

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1120 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
I culled our winter gear today. Even with the mountains of snow we're getting, we can only wear one pair of gloves, one hat, and one neck warmer at a time.

onemorebike

• Stubble
« Reply #1121 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
onemorebike,

We've sold 3,000 dollars worth of random furniture, bike stuff, electronics, etc. in the past month

That is inspiring.  Not only have you decluttered but you have had the energy to deal with putting all that stuff on sale and dealing with the buyers…Congratulations!!!!
Wintersun, cl can be a hassle, but also can be real easy. I installed the cl app on my phone so when I walked by something and thought "we should get rid of that" I just pulled out my phone took a pic and quickly listed it.

onemorebike

• Stubble
« Reply #1122 on: February 16, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
onemorebike,

Wintersun, cl can be a hassle, but also can be real easy. I installed the cl app on my phone so when I walked by something and thought "we should get rid of that" I just pulled out my phone took a pic and quickly listed it.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1123 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
Lol, this is funny:
Just recieved an email from IKEA with 'Your clothes don't fit in your cupboard anymore?' (and then inviting me to buy more not-so-cheap cheap furniture of course)
No thanks IKEA, I know a much better way!

1 shirt to charity, 3 books sold on marktplaats and got rid of some paperwork today.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:03:13 PM by DagobertDuck »

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1124 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
onemorebike,

I'm enjoying selling things online too. I hadn't done it before. I may be addicted now. Decluttering and extra income at the same time! I don't have nearly enough quality things to sell to make 3000 dollars, but I'm thrilled with 200 so far this month with minimal effort.

indentured4now

• Stubble
« Reply #1125 on: February 16, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Sold 1 "sortof" antique dining table and a true antique church pew I inherited from family.   Craigslist and patience equals $395 in my pocket.   Have maybe another $600 in other pieces to sell...   All funds go to paying down mortgage to pay me interest every year the rest of my life.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1126 on: February 17, 2015, 04:07:38 AM »
Today I brought 2 bags of stuff to the trift shop. Glad I am really rid of that stuff now, instead of leaving it in the shed.

Also I have inspired my mother and sister. Both are now trying to get rid of some stuff!
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1127 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
Selling some craft stuff I'm not ever going to use for $45. The important thing is to get it out of the house....I'm not really making money. I mean, I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45. $30 of my cash (= life energy) down the tubes, but at least it won't be taking up physical and emotional space any more.

You all are an inspiration to me!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:07 AM »
Stuff you don't use = sunk costs anyway.
Don't let the sunk cost fallacy keep you from getting rid of stuff that clutters your life.

I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45.
Recovering 60% of the purchase price for obsolete stuff is actually really good imo.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: February 17, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Stuff you don't use = sunk costs anyway.
Don't let the sunk cost fallacy keep you from getting rid of stuff that clutters your life.

I bought the stuff for $75 and am selling for $45.
Recovering 60% of the purchase price for obsolete stuff is actually really good imo.

I was going to say this too.  If you really want it gone, definitely sell it for under 50% and closer to 30%.  (Particularly as cost conscious people who do crafts like myself, would only buy from the craft stores with a 50% off coupon anyways!)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1130 on: February 17, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
Went through a box of candles.  Discovered a candle that was almost gone, so I'm working on burning it done now.  Some candle holders to the donation bin as well.  I'll also be giving my mom some wax scraps for making candles when I see her tonight.

I've been trying to avoid buying new candles for a few years now so I can work down my pile, but have had more given to me by people culling their collections or given as a Christmas gift.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
I have a large box of books (fiction) that I bought a few months back hoping to read while my baby slept. However, now I'm back to work and hardly have time to read anything. I dont think I'll be able to read those books for atleast a year more. Wondering if I should resell them or keep them around? At one point I want to keep them so I can read them. At another, watching them on the book shelf reminds me of yet another thing to do and stresses me out :(

To add, we are moving in a few months and I'm trying to reduce clutter at home before the move.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1132 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
I would try to sell it. And with the "profit": maybe a library card? :) Since I became a mother I didn't have much time to read either, so I'm always glad I didn't have to buy the books I don't read ;) (Library is also a great trip with a toddler)
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1133 on: February 18, 2015, 10:54:43 AM »
Lesson for the future: never buy a new book before you've finished the previous one.

I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of books, too. Easier than I thought. Keep the few that changed my life, ditch the rest.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1134 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:15 AM »
I helped my mom thin out her clothes/hats/purses/shoes yesterday. She has a lot of everything!! Im so proud of her. She got rid of about 50%! Many many donations that I dumped for her. Also many bags to potentially sell on consignment stores near by ( she has mostly really nice stuff). Next time we'll tackle books.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1135 on: February 18, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Gained 12 square feet of floor space and $100 by selling a piece of exercise equipment that was not being used. Turns out I like body-weight exercising at home it's more quiet and there is nothing to dust!

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #1136 on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »
Gained 12 square feet of floor space and $100 by selling a piece of exercise equipment that was not being used. Turns out I like body-weight exercising at home it's more quiet and there is nothing to dust!

Score one for body weight training!! Congrats!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1137 on: February 20, 2015, 12:09:51 AM »
This week during decluttering I was wondering about one item in my closet: my weddingdress. I will never wear it again and it's a big impediment, so I am thinking about selling it. But on the other hand it has emotional value. I'm not sure about it, it's difficult. What would you do? I have many pictures of me in the dress and I won't wear it again with my after-pregnancy body that is very different then than when we got married......
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:52:05 AM by kander »

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #1138 on: February 20, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
This week during decluttering I was wondering about one item in my closet: my weddingdress. I will never wear it again and it's a big impediment, so I am thinking about selling it. But on the other hand it has emotional value. I'm not sure about it, it's difficult. What would you do? I have many pictures of me in the dress and I won't wear it again with my after-pregnancy body that is very different then than when we got married......

I was pretty unsentimental with my wedding dress and donated it last year, 2 1/2 years after we got married. My dress wasn't a traditional one and I'd only spent a few hundred dollars on it. And it had a small stain and I was never going to wear it again, so why keep it?

That said, I'm probably more ambivalent about my wedding day than most. Don't get me wrong - I'm super happy I married DH and have no regrets there. But ... I was deathly ill (in hindsight) around that time and had 9 days in hospital when we got back from our honeymoon. That's the super short version. The only momento I need from our wedding day is a handful of photos. 

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1139 on: February 20, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »

I donated mine to an organization that gives proms and wedding dresses to people who can't afford them.  My Mom's friend was closely tied to the organization, so she was able to tell me about the person who got my dress.  I could not be happier with my decision.  I did this a few months after the wedding.

I sometimes wonder if I should have kept it, or had it made into throw pillows, or a christening gown (except 10 years later we still don't have kids) but knowing how happy it made someone else, I do not regret my decision at all.

And I LOVED my wedding dress. It was the most beautiful dress I've ever seen, it was not inexpensive either- other than the husband part, it was the #1 favorite thing about my wedding. So I was pretty attached to the idea of it, but there was no need for me to keep it. I'd much rather someone else enjoy it as much as I did.

It's a pretty personal decision though.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1140 on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Mine was a very beautiful beautiful dress . & I donated it a couple years after the divorce. I had thought about using it in my sewing projects, but finally decided it made more sense to donate for someone who needed an inexpensive wedding dress. Obviously, the divorce makes my story a bit different. I could see why a person would want to keep the dress also, but really only for (possibly tailored) use at a future renewal of vows, or as I had planned, a project. Of course, any decision is valid. If not sure, maybe makes more sense to hold onto it.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #1141 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »
mine was recycled for the day from my godmother, and after the day I gave it back to her....did not cross my ming to hang on to it

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1142 on: February 20, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
I still have mine, 25 years later.  Typical <eye roll>

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1143 on: February 20, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
My mother still has mine nearly 25 years later. Typical <eye roll>.   I'm not sure what the issue is, I think she thinks I won't look after it….
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1144 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
I think she thinks I won't look after it….

:-)

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1145 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
My wedding dress was not traditional, and I still wear it from time to time.  So, I'll be keeping that!

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1146 on: February 20, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
My wedding dress was not traditional, and I still wear it from time to time.  So, I'll be keeping that!

+1

Me too. Vaguely wedding-ish but still wearable for many other occasions.

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #1147 on: February 20, 2015, 07:59:47 PM »
I threw out 3 old bras today. They weren't on high rotation but I still occasionally wore them. I was about to put one on today and realised the elastic was all hard and yukky, and there were slight stains on all of them, presumably from something perishing. So, into the bin they went. Normally I'd donate old clothes, but these weren't wearable.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1148 on: February 21, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
Donated a box of books and three boxes of clothes today.  I think I'm pretty close to where I want to be with both categories.

But now I'm thinking I should dump my wedding dress.  It's non-traditional, and 3 sizes too big for me now, so not like I'm going to be wearing it again.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1149 on: February 22, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
Astartine,
I dumped two bras today as well, for similar reasons. 

I hadn't thought about donating my wedding dress, what a great idea.  Or do I want to use the silk fabric to line lamp shades???? Hmmm.

I am keeping a list of things that enter our house that are either not consumable or will not be consumed soon.  I feel some delight in seeing how short it is.

I am making a list of things to use up that I am not willing to donate: food, supplements, fabric, craft supplies, etc.  I think I might benefit from setting goals in that area too.