Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 850814 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1050 on: February 06, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
I brought all our computer cords and adaptors and junk into the lounge room, and sorted by type. My partner then went through them and ditched the useless ones, and the excessive multiples. Halved the contents, and might do another round soon because I found more stashed away!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:05:42 AM by anatidaev »

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #1051 on: February 07, 2015, 04:40:17 AM »
Proving that there is always more to get rid of, no matter how many times we declutter, our donate pile now has:

- nightshirt of mine. It's newish but uncomfortable to sleep in.

- clothes rack. Flimsy and yukky to use for drying clothes. We'll stick with just our 2 sturdy ones.

- large plastic under the bed box, missing its lid

- whisky stones. Gift from DH. they're beautiful but impractical as an ice replacement.

- tennis ball. Came with the cats when we adopted them but they don't play with it, probably cos it's too hard to bat around. We'll leave it outside somewhere for the neighbourhood kids to find.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1052 on: February 07, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »
Rant:

When I post a Freecycle item or a Facebook yard sale item and NO ONE says please or thank you in the communication!  Like, if I am giving you something for free, say THANK YOU, for fuck's sake! 

Thanks for listening!

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1053 on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
The move that has been vaguely in the works for about a year is now really happening in five weeks. Storage space will be tighter in the new place, so I am determined to weed! Took seven grocery bags and two boxes of clothes to the Goodwill along with a piece of exercise equipment I realized I didn't like after using a few times. More going soon...

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #1054 on: February 07, 2015, 10:25:51 AM »
Great job everyone!! 

We have a regularly scheduled weekly run to donate to a local mission for disadvantaged children.  There's a corner of one room where 'finds' during the week are gathered.  I ask the family the night before who has anything to donate.  There is always a pretty good sized load!  This week was an old pool noodle found in a closet when we rearranged storage, a Christmas wreath that I grew tired of, a couple of bags and boxes of perfectly serviceable clothes that were 'dumpster dived' by my son and washed by me, including a great wool coat, a nice leather coat, and a couple of purses (seriously folks, let's donate this stuff instead of tossing it!!!), a couple of old lamps, free mugs & free plastic cups that I abhor, and more that I can't even remember.  It's like this most weeks it seems.  Mostly stuff I can't remember. 

Also a big box of books was donated to the local museum/library that they will resell to fund themselves. 

Craigslist sales have seemed to slowed to a halt in my area.  I regulate most sales to furniture these days and I'm down to what we want to keep. 

Got a huge sack of grass seeds (won't work in my shady yard) and a small plant stand outside right now in son's garage sale.  If they don't sell today?  Off to the mission it goes!
“Economy is a poor man’s revenue; extravagance a rich man’s ruin.” -Lydia Maria Francis Child, The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy

"The taste of the bait ain't worth the pain of the hook."-Porter Freeman

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1055 on: February 07, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I had 31 things in January, but nothing for February yet. I bought my house two years ago and didn't have much stuff, so I haven't accumulated a whole lot either....going to have to be creative with what I don't need!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1056 on: February 07, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
I gave away a silk cotton shirt yesterday!  Every piece counts.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1057 on: February 07, 2015, 08:58:05 PM »
Rant:

When I post a Freecycle item or a Facebook yard sale item and NO ONE says please or thank you in the communication!  Like, if I am giving you something for free, say THANK YOU, for fuck's sake! 

Thanks for listening!

That's also a big pet peeve of mine, and worse, when the person doesn't even show up to get their free item!! I've mostly stopped using Freecycle for that reason and we just leave things out in the parking lot of my husband's business with a free sign. Seems to disappear magically that way.  ;)

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #1058 on: February 08, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I have three things currently listed on eBay and four more scheduled to go live tonight.  It doesn't really help with the clutter since they're tiny (books, jewelry), but psychologically, it feels good.  If only I could get my SO on board (sigh).

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1059 on: February 08, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
I doubt if I should sell my DVDs of the games of thrones. Our DVD player broke down and we use Netflix now, so I don't miss my DVDs. But still I find it a hard decision, because I loved the serie and it's still my intention to watch the next season (I guess). Or maybe I could get the books instead of that? I don't know, meh :/
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1060 on: February 08, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
I think DVD is a dying medium. Sell them while they're still worth something.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1061 on: February 08, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »

Thanks. I've put them on Marktplaats (Dutch) to sell them! Also put some DVDs of House MD on it.
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1062 on: February 08, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
I found another box full of junk stuff I don't really need that I packed up at least two years ago and haven't missed. I threw everything in the donate pile, but discovered that photo frames are hard for me to get rid of! Why?!

Also I found a framed drawing that my ex drew for me 19 years ago. I don't need it, but it's hard to get rid of since he has since died (17 years ago). I can't decide whether his mom would like it, or if that's distasteful.

Lastly, what do you all do with old photo albums? I have about 20 of them that take up a full bookshelf. Scanning the photos is an option, but it would take months to scan them all.

JLR

• Bristles
« Reply #1063 on: February 09, 2015, 04:02:58 AM »
Definitely moving in the next 8-9 weeks. Must get serious!

Tossed out a measuring cup that was at the end of its' life.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1064 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:57 AM »
It's not super mustachian, but I bought a Groupon for photo scanning.  You send them in via UPS and they send them back, along with a CD of photos.  I don't own or need a scanner, so this was actually a cheaper option (not to mention the amount of time it saved!).  I got rid of the photo albums and the majority of the hard-copy pictures, too.  (It's also worthwhile to go through the photos BEFORE you send them in---lots of duplicates, not great photos, etc.)

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #1065 on: February 09, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
Why am I so attached to books? They're just dumb books. Grrr.

Kids books, and my non-fiction stuff mostly. Shelves, and shelves, and shelves of books.

Maybe they define a season of life for me? Maybe my memories lie in those books?

I don't know ... but I'm sure having a hard time parting with books. This is going to be a slow process.

Same here, although I purge periodically so that they will fix in existing bookshelves and have otherwise switched to e-books or the library.  That said, I'm not going to guilt myself over those books I do have.  I like them, and I re-read a large number of them.  I'm minimal enough in the rest of the house.

Same here!! Good luck with the books, I'm waiting with that part of my clutter untill everything else is done ;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1066 on: February 09, 2015, 12:24:56 PM »
I finished going through everything! Donated about 5 bags ( really only had about a carload to begin with) . And a couple bags of things to sell (mostly antiques). So happy about this!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1067 on: February 09, 2015, 12:46:21 PM »
I finished going through everything! Donated about 5 bags ( really only had about a carload to begin with) . And a couple bags of things to sell (mostly antiques). So happy about this!

Wow, great job!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:06 AM »
Still going strong (when will I run out of clutter?). Been through a few more cupboards, kept adding to the donate pile, and made enough space in our storage systems to organise our remaining possessions in a more meaningful and useful way.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: February 10, 2015, 01:34:21 AM »
Problem -- not enough receptacles in which to store my give-away items!

I don't like using garbage bags because once, my ever so helpful husband threw away a full bag of beautiful sweaters that were like new.

Any suggestions?

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1070 on: February 10, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Maybe you can label the garbage bags your husband needs to leave alone? ;)

Today I got rid of:
- A photo-album with one photo in it! My husband bought it and I find it too ugly to keep and try to make something of it...
- A soap massage bar that clearly was overdated; yuk!
- A tube with paint that we haven't used in 3,5 years

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1071 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:20 AM »

Thanks. I've put them on Marktplaats (Dutch) to sell them! Also put some DVDs of House MD on it.
I think you did the right thing. I sold / gave away almost all my DVD's too.

Did the same with my cd's some years ago. Still to do: get rid of the cassette tapes that are still stored at my parents' house.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1072 on: February 10, 2015, 04:46:57 AM »

I think you did the right thing. I sold / gave away almost all my DVD's too.

Did the same with my cd's some years ago. Still to do: get rid of the cassette tapes that are still stored at my parents' house.

Thanks. I hope someone will buy them soon. ;)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1073 on: February 10, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »
Brought five pieces of garment to goodwill, threw some away that were too worn down, threw away a defective mp3 player, gave away an old backpack to a fellow member of my sports club, gave away a pair of curtains on a local give-away-stuff group on fb, put 6 books for sale on marktplaats (Dutch Craigslist), and threw away some old magazines and misc small items.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:07:59 PM by DagobertDuck »

JLR

• Bristles
« Reply #1074 on: February 10, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
I went through a drawer of stationery items. Got rid of a lot of sticker the kids used to have fun with when they were little, and some colouring books.

Also went through some bathroom things. Got rid of a lot of hair things I haven't used in years. Just kept the three things I currently use to do my hair each time. Must have thrown out a dozen bits and pieces I once used....

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1075 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:53 AM »
Sold the DVDs at a pawnshop (never been in a pawnshop before so I had the time of my life, because it made me think of that TV-show ) €21 richer (or €100 poorer, if I use the prices I've paid when I bought them)

Also got rid of:
- some old towels
- municipality booklet (a book with information about our town, I'm not sure if this is the right word but Google translate says so)
- A binder with information about our old house

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1076 on: February 11, 2015, 05:23:27 AM »
Getting down to the nub on things I personally am ready to get rid of...have been staying decluttered for the most part since we downsized a couple of years ago and let a lot of 'crapola' go then.  After cleaning out my inlaw's home and my brother's home after they passed?  We BUMPED our donations up and our buying down so as to not have our children E.V.E.R. having to go thru so much stuff if something were to happen to us.

Yesterday's scheduled run to the mission from me personally:  Curling iron I bought w/o looking at it too closely at a yard sale for $1....for a spirally hairstyle that I don't have.  Pay attention!!!  Old pillow cover that went with a bedset from about 10 years ago.  Had been using it for the nap pillow that stays on the couch.  Ugh, over that color years back.  Didn't enjoy looking at it.  Didn't match anything else in the den.  Good-bye.

The rest of the car was FILLED w/clothes that my son had found dumpster diving that we had brought home and washed.  While we were on the way we stopped to drop off our trash at the dumpsters and he pulled OUT* a wheelchair and walker which will be wiped down and donated to a medical mission team to either use or sell to fund themselves.

*Why was this not set beside the dumpster's so someone who could use it could get to it easily?????????
“Economy is a poor man’s revenue; extravagance a rich man’s ruin.” -Lydia Maria Francis Child, The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1077 on: February 11, 2015, 07:09:34 AM »
The junkroom is getting empty :D Now let's try to keep it that way.

Sold a ice-make-machine

Got rid of:
- Calendar we found in the train (lesson: never take anything home for the reason that it's free!!)

I do rounds of 5 minutes, this works excellent with my son around :) 5 minutes decluttering, 5 minutes cuddeling and playing :)

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #1078 on: February 11, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Hey Kander - nice job decluttering.  Have you thought about renaming the junkroom to something else?  Perhaps that's what is causing people in your home to put 'junk' in there? 

I have to keep reminding my family that my desk is not for their junk/stuff/paperwork.  Not my monkey, not my circus!!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1079 on: February 11, 2015, 09:43:18 AM »
I've been spending a lot of time going through each room and finding stuff to throw in the donate pile or garbage or selling online. My donate pile is in the middle of the living room and the pile is so big that when people visit they ask if I'm moving.

So I spent a couple days dealing with the pile instead of adding to it. I packaged up a few things to send home with my mom next weekend, threw a couple useless things in the donate pile into the garbage, put more stuff up for sale online, and I've been pawning off books (or anything else) onto unsuspecting visitors. There are enough books that everyone finds something they want. :D

I have a much easier time giving away things to people I know than just donating it to a random organization. I don't mind donating the things I can't give to friends, I just like to give my family and friends the first chance. One step at a time? :p

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1080 on: February 11, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
Hey Kander - nice job decluttering.  Have you thought about renaming the junkroom to something else?  Perhaps that's what is causing people in your home to put 'junk' in there? 

I have to keep reminding my family that my desk is not for their junk/stuff/paperwork.  Not my monkey, not my circus!!

I want to use the junkroom as a "workroom". I'm a SAHM with a website that I try to write for, but sometimes it doesn't work out because of my son. So I hope to make the room as empty as possible (=child friendly), so he can play safe in his own room ánd in my room, without me watching the whole time.

That's my big goal for now :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #1081 on: February 11, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
I have another round of things to donate.  I can't wait to get it out if the house. I need to address my collectibles soon. I no longer want them but am having a hard time donating them. I didn't have a problem with anything else.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1082 on: February 11, 2015, 07:42:48 PM »
I'm going back to my parents' place next week, can't wait to declutter my old room!

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #1083 on: February 12, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »
I've made some progress.   I sell bike (bicycle and motorcycle) surplus parts on Ebay but have been selling other stuff recently.   Today I mailed off  UPS rack mounts.   Earlier I sold a music box.    I also gave away a dozen small items at the Westminister bike show on Sunday.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1084 on: February 12, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »
I ventured into the garage last night for a few minutes while I was waiting for my friend and within 10 minutes found 6 more things and moved them into the house to donate/sell. I can't believe I kept this crap around for so long. When it warms up (my garage is not heated) I'm going to go through it so thoroughly. There are a lot of construction-type things in there I will never use that may sell for quite a bit.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1085 on: February 12, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »
Got rid of:
- Eye shadow of Chanel. Mega expensive and I've used it only 5 times :( I gave it to my sister, she was very happy with it
- Make-up remover (I never use make-up, so I don't need it anymore) Also gave this to my sister
- Hairstuff - don't know how it's called in English, but it is to untangle your hair (not conditioner ;) )

Almost got rid of:
- A teapot with a cup underneath it. I wanted to give it to my sister but then I decided I wanted to keep it. BUT with one rule: I HAVE to use it!!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1086 on: February 12, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
Another five eight garments to goodwill, and one book sold via marktplaats!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:55:19 PM by DagobertDuck »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1087 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »
Got rid of:
- Eye shadow of Chanel. Mega expensive and I've used it only 5 times :( I gave it to my sister, she was very happy with it
- Make-up remover (I never use make-up, so I don't need it anymore) Also gave this to my sister
- Hairstuff - don't know how it's called in English, but it is to untangle your hair (not conditioner ;) )

Almost got rid of:
- A teapot with a cup underneath it. I wanted to give it to my sister but then I decided I wanted to keep it. BUT with one rule: I HAVE to use it!!

Detangler? That's what I'd call it if it's a bottle of stuff you spray in your hair and comb through...

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1089 on: February 13, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
Got rid of:

Almost got rid of:

Detangler? That's what I'd call it if it's a bottle of stuff you spray in your hair and comb through...

Yes, that's what I ment :) Thanks :D

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #1090 on: February 13, 2015, 12:30:32 AM »
Decluttered my desk! Much better.
Me too! I got a new computer at work to replace the two old computers I was using, and gave my desk and drawers a clean out at the same time.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1091 on: February 13, 2015, 03:40:45 AM »
Today I did a task I can only do when my husband is at home: the cutlery. My husband is very strict with the knives and he has a knife for every occasion ;) So I need to take it slow on him in this case.

Got rid of:
- One cooks knife (he has 3 of them)
- One meat knife (we are vegetarians, so we don't need those)
- 2 baby spoons (still got plenty of them!!)
- Thing to get the pizzaplate out of the oven without using oven mitts (completely useless)

It all went in the bag for recycling at the second hand shop

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: February 13, 2015, 08:34:33 AM »
Today I did a task I can only do when my husband is at home: the cutlery. My husband is very strict with the knives and he has a knife for every occasion ;) So I need to take it slow on him in this case.

Got rid of:
- Thing to get the pizzaplate out of the oven without using oven mitts (completely useless)

Oh, we totally have multiples of some favorite knives we often use, so I'm with your husband on that one!  But what is it that gets a pizza stone out of the oven w/o mitts?  I can't even imagine this device.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1093 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:15 AM »

Got rid of:

Oh, we totally have multiples of some favorite knives we often use, so I'm with your husband on that one!  But what is it that gets a pizza stone out of the oven w/o mitts?  I can't even imagine this device.

We still have more then enough knives ;) Don't worry about my husband, he's fine, LOL ;)

I've tried to find a picture of the pizza - thing, but I can't find anything about it online.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1094 on: February 13, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
Can't wait for weekend to come - I'm setting my eyes on our tax documents. Will try yo get majority of our taxes done and paperwork completed. They are cluttering up my mental space. Does clearing mental clutter count?

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: February 13, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Can't wait for weekend to come - I'm setting my eyes on our tax documents. Will try yo get majority of our taxes done and paperwork completed. They are cluttering up my mental space. Does clearing mental clutter count?
YES!!

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1096 on: February 13, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
I'm going back to my parents' place next week, can't wait to declutter my old room!

Midway through clearing out my old room. Old clothes/books are easy to toss, but looking through old school yearbooks/mementos sure bring back memories. No matter, they're all getting decluttered too!

RogueSqPewPew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1097 on: February 13, 2015, 04:08:34 PM »
This week has been a good week.

Gave away --

Extra baking items:  rolling pin, mixing bowls, tart pan that I used once 6 years ago
Holiday decorations:  I had TWO HUGE plastic tubs of decorations. I gave away an entire tub of lights, garland, and ribbon.

Tossed --
A crock pot that had a warped lid and cooked too hot. We have another old one (the pot isn't removable) that's better than the new one!  We kept that one.
A huge set of personalized cookie jar and mugs with lids my parents had made when they were stationed in Italy. I kept one mug and lid. I got them when my parents divorced and no one wanted to lug them around anymore. They're fairly ugly, have been in a deep back corner for years, and hold almost zero sentimental value.

Put up for sale or to give away --
Horseback riding boots, juicer (gift I've used twice)

Feels good, man.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1098 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Midway through clearing out my old room. Old clothes/books are easy to toss, but looking through old school yearbooks/mementos sure bring back memories. No matter, they're all getting decluttered too!

Before throwing away some yearbooks last year, I took pics of several pages, but in the uploading process all the photos were all lost. I guess I didn't need them after all!

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1099 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Cleaned up our gift box and decluttered our coat box - donating our unused coats tomorrow. Also found a few gifts that others will enjoy. Will give them away tomorrow. Next on the list: taxes!!