Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 773058 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1000 on: January 26, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
It's amazing how there's always, eventually, room for another round of purging as my mentality keeps changing so that letting go becomes easier. I don't have an urgent deadline for paring down, but I have it in the back of my mind that I might move in five years or so and it would be nice to have a light footprint. I guess I have the old dream too of taking off and traveling the world and I don't want stuff to hold me back. It feels good too to get to a place where I don't have things just in case, but because I wear and use them frequently.

This. Exactly this. So much! I feel lighter, more free, and closer to my dreams each time I get rid of more things.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1001 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
Sadly, as I've heard reported many times before, the amount of money doesn't get near what we spent on things that have essentially gone unused - sort of sad, humiliating, depressing...whatever...

I've been finding it sort of liberating.  It basically means I should either A) rent it for a night, like movies or B) never, ever, ever pay full price for it.  Plus it means when I look at the sticker price I start thinking 'if I sell that in three months, I'll only get a dollar / whatever-tiny-number for it.' and that makes a lot of things not worth spending on.

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1002 on: January 26, 2015, 02:15:12 PM »
Sadly, as I've heard reported many times before, the amount of money doesn't get near what we spent on things that have essentially gone unused - sort of sad, humiliating, depressing...whatever...

I've been finding it sort of liberating.  It basically means I should either A) rent it for a night, like movies or B) never, ever, ever pay full price for it.  Plus it means when I look at the sticker price I start thinking 'if I sell that in three months, I'll only get a dollar / whatever-tiny-number for it.' and that makes a lot of things not worth spending on.

Exactly. It's only when I started to sell my things that I realized that my money was not well spent. I started questioning my purchases much more carefully when I think about the true value of the object. Also, secondhand is best! Let someone else take the hit for getting something new.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1003 on: January 27, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
I'm winding down the eBay sales after 2 months and 170 items sold. Feeling really good about the decluttering and the cash, but as several of you have mentioned, it makes me want to weed out even more things. We recently sold a car after buying a newer used one for cash, and we need to sell yet another car. Then I can focus on decluttering the garage. It's frustrating trying to maneuver around it to clean and organize, so I'm trying to be patient. Seems like I am always trying to sell something! 

FliXFantatier

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1004 on: January 27, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
I just packed a box for Amazon trade in. If they accept my selections that most is 'like new' I am looking at 113€ Amazon credit with absolute minimal amount of work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: January 27, 2015, 11:43:59 PM »
5 garbage bags full of mostly clothes, plus 2 boxes of books OUT!

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1006 on: January 28, 2015, 04:32:56 AM »
DS and DD have culled a couple of bags of old clothes…out they go.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1007 on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:49 PM »
I'll likely be moving in 4  months so I have to start decluttering for real! I cleaned out/reorganized my kitchen cabinets today.

onemorebike

• Stubble
« Reply #1008 on: January 28, 2015, 07:00:54 PM »
I'll likely be moving in 4  months so I have to start decluttering for real! I cleaned out/reorganized my kitchen cabinets today.

That is what has motivated us, we aren't paying to move anything that isn't something we love, which means we are getting rid of most of it. But we are kind of doing it in reverse, I'm getting rid of all the big storage items (bookcases, a stand alone pantry, shelving, etc) and it is leaving us with piles of stuff to go through that were stored in these places. When you look at that stuff in piles instead in a neatly stored place it is really easy to see it for what it is. I'm excited to count up the amount of cash I've been accumulating from these Craigslist sales, I've had a person or two a day coming by the house for major items. Woot!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1009 on: January 29, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Everyone making money on ebay and craigslist, what non-furniture items have you been selling?  I've just been donating everything because I figured I wouldn't get anything for my clothes (5-15 years old), kitchen odds and ends, etc. and it'd cost too much to ship via craigslist.

Zikoris

• Handlebar Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1010 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Everyone making money on ebay and craigslist, what non-furniture items have you been selling?  I've just been donating everything because I figured I wouldn't get anything for my clothes (5-15 years old), kitchen odds and ends, etc. and it'd cost too much to ship via craigslist.

We've sold a lot of small things on Craigslist, especially kitchen appliances we decided to get rid of. We never ship anything, just meet in person with the buyer  in our apartment lobby or a coffee shop nearby. I wouldn't bother selling clothing unless it was quite valuable though.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1011 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Most of the stuff I've sold on eBay has been vintage or collectible memorabilia, and even some of that can be hard to sell. The newer items are usually in very good condition and/or quirky. I have a floor length gown that I bought in 2004 which still has its tags & was never worn.  It's a style that will work today, though it hasn't sold yet. The clothes I don't think I can sell on eBay are either sold at a local consignment shop or donated. Misc kitchen and household items are either donated or I'll have a yard sale every couple years.  I make a list of what is donated and even take photos, and our CPA has an Excel spreadsheet to figure out the tax donation amount.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1012 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:09 PM »

Things I've sold most recently:  pair of car seat covers, ski goggles, a camera tripod, bike rack for car.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1013 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
Just put some stuff on ebay and half.com, let's see how this goes.

halftimer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1014 on: January 30, 2015, 09:16:37 PM »
Great progress everyone!  Our place is also feeling much lighter lately: a whole set of books by one author (25? titles) given away to a very appreciative friend, sold and gave away about a shelf worth of crafting supplies, added more music and movies and clothes to the donation pile, and when my husband's wallet died and we had to replace it I was finally able to convince him that I should sell the one he was given as a gift a YEAR ago that was still new in box. He never liked it, but a happy buyer just took it away and that almost paid for his new one.

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1015 on: January 31, 2015, 07:55:25 AM »

That is what has motivated us, we aren't paying to move anything that isn't something we love, which means we are getting rid of most of it. But we are kind of doing it in reverse, I'm getting rid of all the big storage items (bookcases, a stand alone pantry, shelving, etc) and it is leaving us with piles of stuff to go through that were stored in these places. When you look at that stuff in piles instead in a neatly stored place it is really easy to see it for what it is. I'm excited to count up the amount of cash I've been accumulating from these Craigslist sales, I've had a person or two a day coming by the house for major items. Woot!

Nice job on the sales! I've yet to try the put everything in a big pile and then declutter method. It makes a lot of sense (actually being able to see the massive amount of stuff). I was always afraid that I'd get halfway through and then have a monster pile of junk to climb over for the rest of my life. Of course, now that I've written that, it sounds ridiculous and unfounded (I know I'd just put it away). Off I go to give it a try.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1016 on: January 31, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
Piles work.  All my current knitting is on my bed.  I can see that I have to get over my dislike of turning a short-row heel in toe-up socks.  I  have many wonderful socks that are done up to this point.  February project now identified - sweet tomato heel (thanks to whoever pointed this out to me) here I come!  And two-at-a-time so I don't end up with half pairs.  I may have to buy a few long cables in the proper size needles, but that is better than what I have now.

Nice job on the sales! I've yet to try the put everything in a big pile and then declutter method. It makes a lot of sense (actually being able to see the massive amount of stuff). I was always afraid that I'd get halfway through and then have a monster pile of junk to climb over for the rest of my life. Of course, now that I've written that, it sounds ridiculous and unfounded (I know I'd just put it away). Off I go to give it a try.

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1017 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
My goodness! The piles really work! I decluttered all cabinets in my bathroom, so that room is done. Woot!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1018 on: February 01, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
This week I freecycled 6 scented candles that gave me a headache and 6 bottles of nail polish, and also sold a necklace on Ebay.  Woot!

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1019 on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »
I'm in.
When I moved to a much smaller place last spring I already ditched some stuff.

I still have quite some bicycle parts that I've been collecting over the years, and though I like the idea of being able to use them again, I probably never will.

And I should help my parents clean out their home (my old room, but also other parts of the house).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1020 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
Wow this thread has really taken off since I've been here! Been doing a lot of decluttering actually. Went through clothes, shoes, purses, books,and paperwork. Probably 200 items out since the start of this year. SO happy about this.

onemorebike

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:15 PM »
Things continue to fly out our door in preparation for our big move. Donating about half and selling the other half. This week's big wins sale wise have been a ton of a bike parts, a very expensive bicycle, our only TV set w/ antennae and wall mount (I got this when my first daughter came feeling like I'd be around the house watching sleeping babies a lot and wanted to watch football, now I'd prefer to get the kids in activities more than tvs), a play kitchen, some lawn toys, some heavy duty shelving. Its been great so far, so freeing in so many ways and it doesn't hurt to have some cash in the pocket!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1022 on: February 04, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »
I'm in!!

Since two weeks I'm decluttering and selling my stuff. Seeing progress at other people keeps me motivated!!
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: February 04, 2015, 01:23:35 AM »
Why am I so attached to books? They're just dumb books. Grrr.

Kids books, and my non-fiction stuff mostly. Shelves, and shelves, and shelves of books.

Maybe they define a season of life for me? Maybe my memories lie in those books?

I don't know ... but I'm sure having a hard time parting with books. This is going to be a slow process.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: February 04, 2015, 01:57:41 AM »

Kids books, and my non-fiction stuff mostly. Shelves, and shelves, and shelves of books.

Maybe they define a season of life for me? Maybe my memories lie in those books?

I don't know ... but I'm sure having a hard time parting with books. This is going to be a slow process.

Same here!! Good luck with the books, I'm waiting with that part of my clutter untill everything else is done ;)
I speak and understand English, but my writing is not so good. I'd like to learn to write better so if you see a mistake that is really stupid, PLEASE tell me so that I can learn from it! Thank you very much :)

Astatine

• Handlebar Stache
  • Blah. Blah blah blah.
« Reply #1025 on: February 04, 2015, 02:01:38 AM »

Books are hard for a lot of people. I was only able to finally get rid of (to charity) the bulk of my books after I read this blog post on the Fantasy Self:
http://www.missminimalist.com/2011/08/declutter-your-fantasy-self/

My Fantasy Self with my books was multi-faceted. Stuff like, look how much stuff I know! Look at how intellectual I am! (not proud of any of these, btw, but it is what it is) I loved reading a book a day in the past, one day I will do that again, even though it's been years since I did that. My textbooks from uni are still useful! (they were to a job I had 10 years ago but now so much stuff is available online) etc etc.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: February 04, 2015, 02:12:26 AM »

Books are hard for a lot of people. I was only able to finally get rid of (to charity) the bulk of my books after I read this blog post on the Fantasy Self:

My Fantasy Self with my books was multi-faceted. Stuff like, look how much stuff I know! Look at how intellectual I am! (not proud of any of these, btw, but it is what it is) I loved reading a book a day in the past, one day I will do that again, even though it's been years since I did that. My textbooks from uni are still useful! (they were to a job I had 10 years ago but now so much stuff is available online) etc etc.

Some of this sounds eerily familiar Astatine! I still have anatomy books >30yrs old, because, the human body doesn't change you know. And I liked that post too.

I've been intermittently plodding away at my study with paper clutter. There is still an awful lot to go, but I can see a couple of pieces of floor that have been covered for an awfully long time.  So,  progress.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1027 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »

That sounds a lot like me too. I managed to make the first pass through my books and get rid of about half. I still had my textbooks also, but realized I hadn't opened some of them in 10 years and would likely never use them. I gave some away, and still have lots in my 'donate' pile. Some books were easier to give away to specific people. "xyz might enjoy this book!"

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1028 on: February 04, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Some textbooks do not get out of date immediately; you can go on Amazon and enter the ISBN and see what it's selling for.  It's easier for me to get rid of something and let the universe store it if I am also exchanging it for money.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1029 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
I have a growing stack of magazines (thanks to free subscriptions) that I haven't read yet. I decided that I am not going to read them so I'm going to recycle them all in one go.
Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
http://2minimize.blogspot.com

acorn

• Bristles
« Reply #1030 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:20 PM »
I have a growing stack of magazines (thanks to free subscriptions) that I haven't read yet. I decided that I am not going to read them so I'm going to recycle them all in one go.

unsubscribe! I used to sign up for free stuff, because they're free right?? but then I've come to realize that 1) I'm happier without all that junk 2) someone else can probably get more use out of it 3) if enough people reject these things, maybe they'll eventually stop making them, which would be better for the environment. now I'm more conscious of what I bring home with me, no matter the original price.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1031 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
I went through most of my makeup stuff and found bottles and bottles of moisturizers. Different brands, some used some unused. I've moved to using coconut oil most days for my moisturizer.... What can I use the moisturizers for other than for moisturizing skin?

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1032 on: February 04, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
The unused might be donate-able to a shelter or to a friend.  The partially used, I would just use up.  That's what I have been doing with our half-used stuff. 
The constant lesson of history is the dominant role played by surprise. Just when we are most comfortable with an environment and come to believe we finally understand it, the ground shifts under our feet.  Peter Bernstein

''It's not so much what folks don't know that causes problems, it's what they do know that ain't so.''   Artemus Ward

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #1033 on: February 04, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

unsubscribe! I used to sign up for free stuff, because they're free right?? but then I've come to realize that 1) I'm happier without all that junk 2) someone else can probably get more use out of it 3) if enough people reject these things, maybe they'll eventually stop making them, which would be better for the environment. now I'm more conscious of what I bring home with me, no matter the original price.

I definitely will! Yes they were free, and I really thought I'd read them. I was not impressed with the amount of ads inside them.
Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
http://2minimize.blogspot.com

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: February 04, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the support on having trouble parting with books .. nice to know I'm not alone in my irrationality!

Cookie

« Reply #1035 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
I've learned that when I'm stressed, the clutter around me makes it worse. So, I've been really going through everything and editing down what I own because I am pretty stressed with school and work. One thing that has really helped me declutter cosmetics and toiletries is having my husband learn he has exzema. Because I want to ensure we are doing everything we can to get rid of it, I am going along for the ride. We've gotten rid of all of our products that have artificial fragrance (basically everything) and have switched to natural products. I love that the shelves I once had full of products are now empty!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1036 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
Today I feel like the clutter is everywhere :( Don't know where to start :( The clutter takes so much energy and viltality away... Does anyone feel the same way?!

mwulff

• Stubble
« Reply #1037 on: February 05, 2015, 01:53:35 AM »
Kander: Find one room and do that. It really helps to just start somewhere. It doesn't matter which room.

Sort into a sell/recycle-stack and trash stack. When done immediately drive the trash stack to the dump. It really works.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1038 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
Today I feel like the clutter is everywhere :( Don't know where to start :( The clutter takes so much energy and viltality away... Does anyone feel the same way?!

I did feel that way, but now that I've started it's not so overwhelming. I've got a long way to go, but I'm enjoying it now. Whenever I'm stressed I just find more stuff to throw out, or post for sale online, or throw in the donate pile. Instead of clutter being a source of stress, it's now a source of empowerment, as I get rid of it.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1039 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Thanks for the reactions.

The problem is that I constantly moving back and forth with stuff. I find it hard to throw things away so I'm moving the stuff from one room to the other. From the living room, then in the bedroom, etc etc. We even have a room that we call the "clutterroom" (in Dutch: rommelkamer). How sad is that?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1040 on: February 05, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

The problem is that I constantly moving back and forth with stuff. I find it hard to throw things away so I'm moving the stuff from one room to the other. From the living room, then in the bedroom, etc etc. We even have a room that we call the "clutterroom" (in Dutch: rommelkamer). How sad is that?

I used to do that too, and still do to some extent, especially if I find something I forgot I had and I move it somewhere I think it might be used more often. I think it's a process and you shouldn't beat yourself up over not being perfect. Just keep trying to get rid of things a little at a time. If you're anything like me, once you get the positive rush of having less stuff weighing you down it'll get much easier over time.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1041 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

In the US it's usually called the 'spare room' or 'junk room' haha. 

Have you looked at the website (there is swearing... be aware) unfuckyourhabitat?  You could try their style - do 20 minutes of doing, 10 minutes break.  Start by pulling up any obvious trash, then clear a few surfaces, baby steps like that.  If you do them frequently enough your house gets pretty dang clean.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: February 05, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »
Until a few months ago, I worked with the Flylady method, but since our son can crawl and walk, I find it difficult to keep the discipline. Maybe this site suits me more. Today at least I managed to clean up one kitchen cupboard. 1 coffee mug and 2 cups discarded. Tomorrow I'll do the following kitchen cupboard.

Junk room... whaha.... In Holland we use the word junk or junkie when we talk about people that are addicted to drugs, so I hesitated to use that word ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:40:36 AM by kander »

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1043 on: February 05, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »
Oh, a junkie is a drug addict here, too.  For some reason junkie and junk room are completely unrelated, though.  Best to not be misunderstood on your own turf though :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1044 on: February 05, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Cookie,

I agree with what you said above: "I've learned that when I'm stressed, the clutter around me makes it worse".

I am beginning to see more and more the correlations between clutter and my state of mind.  I have actually been tidying just so I can walk into a room and not feel overwhelmed. 

I am continuing to slowly declutter clothes as I grow out of them, another pair of jeans went to a pal today.  And, I went on a mini break and barely bought a thing, really just some toiletries I cannot buy at home.  The thought of bringing more into the house is too much for me.  Long may that last!

I am getting to the bottom of lotion bottles and face creams, I must have had 12+ different lotions lying around the house and car.  I find I am encountering a slight scarcity mentality about special things - I am mourning the end of some expensive face cream since I will not be choosing to buy that any longer.  The same with certain foods which I am not eating to save them so I won't feel bereft without them.

I did get a new book recently and am enjoying it very much.  But when I have learned all I can from it I will pass it on. 

You are all so inspiring to me, it feels great to look at this thread and see it growing longer and longer.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1045 on: February 05, 2015, 11:43:33 PM »
Discarded: a measuring cup. Hidden: a whole bag full of all kinds of plastic storage containers. I'm getting crazy of those things, they are everywhere! We never use them but my husband wants to keep them anyway. So I have a letter written by futureme.org and in 3 months I'll be reminded of the hidden storage containers. If my husband still has not missed follows an intervention whaha ;)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1046 on: February 06, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »
I got rid of 3 items on craigslist and made $47. Two of the items were large, and have been junking up the basement for 5 years.

Sayonara!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1047 on: February 06, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
I just found a box of books and CDs that I packed up to get rid of years ago, still sitting in my spare room. Gone, gone, gone! But I'm not sure the best way to get rid of CDs these days. Garbage?

Sold a stamp book last night for $50, and put a couple other things for sale online today.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »
A group I'm a part of is having a fundraising auction, I'm donating some things.  Several candle holders, a small chopper/blender, a coffee grinder, several recipe books.  Hopefully these things will all find good homes and raise money for our little group!

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #1049 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
I just found a box of books and CDs that I packed up to get rid of years ago, still sitting in my spare room. Gone, gone, gone! But I'm not sure the best way to get rid of CDs these days. Garbage?

Sold a stamp book last night for $50, and put a couple other things for sale online today.

By stamp book do you mean one of those albums that have pages for each stamp from each country? I have a large one I need to get rid of; where do you sell that sort of thing and not get cheated for the stamps that might be worth something?