Author Topic: Getting more excercise  (Read 23168 times)

jambongris

• Bristles
Re: Getting more excercise
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2022, 07:26:43 AM »
Went for a nice run in the snow this morning. It ended up being windier than I expected but it was still a beautiful run. Stopped to help a stranded motorist near the end of my run and accidentally ended the run on my watch prematurely. Does it even count as exercise if it’s not logged somewhere? 🤔

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2022, 06:39:59 AM »
DH and I went CC skiing today for one and a half hour, including high intensity. Still on quite a minimal amountbof snow. We met two friends in the track. The forecast is that is will start raining soon. Climate change sucks.

We found out that our 4x4 Tesla Y does not have permanent 4x4, but only if we put on the terrain assistant. Only then it behaves like a Subaru. And we need to turn it on for each trip, as it is not remembered. At least it is good to know this. And it explains why the car was more slippery than expected on snowy conditions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 06:42:16 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2022, 04:15:54 AM »
Today I walked for one hour. With snow on the ground and sunshine. Although it was difficult to get the sun to shine on my face with the route I took. I didn't need the sun glasses I had brought along.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2022, 09:58:15 AM »
We are on vacation.
Today I walked for > one hour.
Yesterday I walked back and forth to town twice, in total 1 hour and 15 minutes.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »
Went for a run today. It was very messy.

It started snowing last night before it turned to rain sometime this morning. It’s going to dip back below freezing tonight.

Today’s run was a journey of hidden puddles - stepping through snow into a buried river below.  Nearly every intersection was partially flooded. It wasn’t my favorite type of weather  but I still enjoyed myself. It also makes all my other runs that much sweeter.

It’s going to be a mess on a lot of residential streets tomorrow when all of this slush freezes into place. It’s sad to think of all the snow that this could have been.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2022, 06:32:13 AM »
Went for a run today. It was very messy.

It started snowing last night before it turned to rain sometime this morning. It’s going to dip back below freezing tonight.

Today’s run was a journey of hidden puddles - stepping through snow into a buried river below.  Nearly every intersection was partially flooded. It wasn’t my favorite type of weather  but I still enjoyed myself. It also makes all my other runs that much sweeter.

It’s going to be a mess on a lot of residential streets tomorrow when all of this slush freezes into place. It’s sad to think of all the snow that this could have been.

Yes, this is horrible weather. Either snow or ra8n ain't that bad. But first snow, to be rained away, followed by freezing is hopeless. Last year, we had such a winter the whole time. It looks like stable winters with a few degrees below 0C are getting more seldom here in south Norway.

jambongris

• Bristles
Getting more excercise
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2022, 11:39:04 AM »
Went for my Sunday long run today once the kids had torn through their presents and after a nice breakfast with my dad.

Decided to run along the canal today instead of working on CityStrides. It was -5 °C and gray with light snow. Probably saw between 40 and 50 runners out along the canal during my run. Nice way to work up an appetite for dinner tonight.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 12:12:55 PM by jambongris »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2022, 05:25:43 AM »
24 Dec: 3,5 km walking.
26 Dec: >10 km walking.
27 Dec: >10 km walking. Pretty good score for a travel day.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2022, 05:49:07 AM »
Dec 27 - 3 mile walk, 1.2 mile run, 50 curls
Dec 28 - 30 squats, 30 dead lifts, 30 bent over rows, 30 bench presses

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2022, 06:47:09 AM »
I’ve been resting this week. I had been maintaining at 70k/week for the last two months but I think I was starting to get strained from overtraining. My body was giving me signs so I decided to listen this time.

Very eager to get back out there. My x-country skis are calling me.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »
I walked 6 miles today, did 30 overhead presses. Did not run today.

Debating adding some sort of HIIT exercises.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2022, 05:31:30 AM »
Today I did mindfull yoga, version 2. It was quite som time since last time, so I felt the stretches very well. And the balancing exercises were not easy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2023, 04:31:46 AM »
Today I did mindfull yoga version 1. I am having a cold, so I wanted to do something easy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2023, 05:02:49 AM »
Total for December:
1-7 Dec: 4:30 hours.
8-14 Dec: 4:45 hours.
15-21 Dec: 4:57 hours.
22-28 Dec: 7:05 hours.
29-31 Dec: 0:35 hours.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2023, 10:37:51 AM »
Today, I did arm excercises. Still having a cold and I feel rubbish.

It is snowing a lit outside, heavy snow. We are planning to go CC skiing tomorrow.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2023, 11:53:53 AM »
Am back to the gym as of last week. They rearranged. I ended up dealing with cat stuff so prefer to play with kittens than go to the gym!

I have definitely backslid. Oh well. I'll get better. Go through the weightlifting for dummies course, 15 minutes on elliptical, and if I have time, 15 min on the rowing machine.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2023, 02:27:07 AM »
45 minutes of manual snow shuffling.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2023, 02:50:39 AM »
I've been walking in the park every day. Podcast in my ears, it's actually really nice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2023, 06:36:27 AM »
Today about 1 hour and 10 minutes CC skiing in very good fresh snow. We haven't had such good circumstances in recent years. I even used my newest skis today, and not the old pair that I use on marginal snow like last time. It felt really good for my cold. Breathing deep in coldish weather is probably a good way to rinse the nose and several hollows in the head.

The negative thing today was that DH still had pain in his back. He tried to compensate by using his arms more and now has a pain in his shoulder. Probably the shoulder that once was out of place. He felt rubbish half way the roundtrip and then it is exactly half the way back to the car, in either direction.

I guess that if more snow needs to be removed later, that I will need to do it. A tractor does most of the driveway, but we still need to clean a lot ourselves.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2023, 01:11:03 PM »
Also made it out for a skate-ski today. We finally got some nice snow after a week of rain so we went for a 50 minute ski. Absolutely beautiful day although I always forget how hilly the parkway is in the Gatineau Park.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2023, 03:27:31 PM »
Today we went 1 hour and 15 minutes cross country skiing. I felt pretty lousy and had no energy in uphill parts.
We also cleaned away more snow. There has fallen a lot of snow lately. From Sunday it will likely rain again.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2023, 01:23:27 AM »
Yesterday I took a break from skiing, even though the circumstances were at their best and it was the last day they were good. DH went alone.
I used an hour or so cleaning snow manually, plus some more things.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2023, 05:12:42 AM »
Hm, I could do with some regular excercise. Unfortunately, between work and household, I simply cannot muster energy nor motivation to do anything regularly. I don't need to lose any weight and am of really good health, so some light cardio and mobility excersise would be sufficient, I guess - any tips to get into a regular routine without intrinsic motivation other than acknowledgement that it would be generally beneficial?

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2023, 11:13:29 AM »
Hm, I could do with some regular excercise. Unfortunately, between work and household, I simply cannot muster energy nor motivation to do anything regularly. I don't need to lose any weight and am of really good health, so some light cardio and mobility excersise would be sufficient, I guess - any tips to get into a regular routine without intrinsic motivation other than acknowledgement that it would be generally beneficial?
One mental trick that I use is to think about the smallest step I can take that moves me towards my goal. Once I’ve taken that step I’ll move on to the next step.

For example, if I’m waking up early to go for a run I’ll just focus on rolling out of bed. If I start thinking too far ahead it can get overwhelming which can make it tempting to give up. Once I’m out of bed the next smallest step might be to put my socks on. After a few steps the whole process just starts to snowball and inertia builds up. Next thing I know I’m out the door.

It’s the same tactic I use for long runs. If I start out at the beginning of the run thinking about how long I have left it can be overwhelming so I’ll just think about the next small milestone. Maybe it’s my next step, or the end of the block, or the next km marker. Next thing I know two hours have passed and I’m back home feeling like a million bucks.

It also gets easier over time as your routine develops and you start reinforcing those neural pathways.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2023, 06:53:20 AM »
@Sotl Another thing that helps is to make it easy for yourself to get started. Like getting your running shoes in place the day before you run.

Loosing weight could just be onee of many reasons to get exercising. Creating general good health is another. People can be thin or normal weight and very unhealthy.
For in this thread, it was the scare of menopause where women get more brittle bones. Exercise helps making new bone mass, creates more mucle so you don't fall so easily. And it helps against cardiac deceases.

Today we did an hour and 10 minutes cross country skiing. My wax was hopeless, so I didn't glide much.

Yesterday evening I moved our stuff for om the car to the cabin through snow, slightly uphill. That was yesterday's only exercise.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »
Yesterday I walked five miles, did 30 squats, 40 overhead presses.

The YMCA these days suddenly became absurdly crowded ... can barely find a parking spot. I wonder if this is all because of new years resolutions.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2023, 01:24:40 PM »

The YMCA these days suddenly became absurdly crowded ... can barely find a parking spot. I wonder if this is all because of new years resolutions.

It is a well known fact that this is every year after the new year. They will disappear after a month or so.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2023, 01:33:50 PM »

It is a well known fact that this is every year after the new year. They will disappear after a month or so.

I have heard of this but I always assumed it was a small percentage jump. This is my first January going to a gym.

It seems like attendance has doubled since December...the gym is like a mad house now. I can barely walk around without bumping into someone.

I never realized that many people both made new years resolutions to exercise more and also gave up on their new years resolutions.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2023, 07:23:18 AM »
Today we CC skied for an hour and 40 minutes. Good skis this time and a fresh scooter trail, without ski tracks. Still very good to ski on. Nice temperature, just below zero C and not that much wind.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2023, 06:16:29 PM »
Today I walked 5 miles and did 110 bench presses.

I think next time I will just do push ups instead.

Strangely exhausted more than I expected.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »
Walked six miles today at the ymca...that is all.

I feel like I should do more but my chest, arms and legs are all sore right now.

I always wonder how some people can do squats one day then run the next day...like...how? Maybe I will be able to do that when I'm in better shape.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2023, 05:32:31 PM »
After a recent scare with my mostly recovered knee (mcl torn last February), I’m back in the saddle. Walked over 8 miles today, and 40 min of weight lifting has me feeling pleasantly exhausted.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2023, 05:32:48 PM »
Today we CC skied for an hour and 40 minutes. Good skis this time and a fresh scooter trail, without ski tracks. Still very good to ski on. Nice temperature, just below zero C and not that much wind.

This sounds dreamy!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2023, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks for the pointers. I will start with putting the right clothing/shoes in place.
I am not sure if I will make it out of the door, though - weather is quite sh***y here. I will report back next week.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »

I have heard of this but I always assumed it was a small percentage jump. This is my first January going to a gym.

It seems like attendance has doubled since December...the gym is like a mad house now. I can barely walk around without bumping into someone.

I never realized that many people both made new years resolutions to exercise more and also gave up on their new years resolutions.

My YMCA is also insanely busy, though it is slowly improving. I was there on the 2nd or 3rd and asked the guy at the desk how it was going, he said they'd had a week's worth of people sign up just that day. At least they're getting some revenue.

January is just a terrible time to start though. The weather is crappy - can be cold, grey, wet, snowy, icy, windy, etc. Just depends. I started last summer, then had a break due to audit season. Got back right after Christmas. Its harder to go now than it was in summer. More complicated too, because I'm wearing more clothing.

I've been pretty good about going. Listening to Lord of the Rings is a very effective motivator for me. I would like to try one of their classes, but I don't want to give up my book!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »
Today I cleaned away a lot of snow and transported things through the snow.
Yesterday we spent the day installing a new kitchen counter and sink at our cabin. That took all day. And the day before we had to buy the counter top and visit a home for sale. Tomorrow will be a tranpirtation home today. Hopefully we can ski at home as well.

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2023, 12:28:41 PM »
Easy 90 x-country ski yesterday as I accompanied my younger son on his lessons in the Gatineau park - maybe 3 km. Absolutely beautiful day.

Today was a 135 min run up and down the length of the canal. There was more snow on the paths than I expected but it was still another beautiful day, -13 °C and sunny. Still lots of winter runners along the canal.

Hopefully if this cold weather holds up they can open the canal up for skating.

My right achilles doesn’t seem to be getting any better despite all my attempts at stretching, strengthening, and lowering my weekly volume. I guess it’s time to see my physiotherapist.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2023, 02:52:32 AM »
@jambongris
I think an achilles that hurts just needs rest.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2023, 06:31:37 AM »
It snows, and snows and snows.
Yesterday, after driving home from our cabin, I cleared fluffy snow from our turnaround point in the drive way. Another cleaning of that area this morning, now with heavier snow. And it continues to snow, so I need to clean it another time at least.
Maybe tomorrow will be a good day to go skiing again.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2023, 01:42:41 PM »
I'm going to set some goals for myself for 2023. I find that setting the goals makes me get up and do something at times where I'd rather sit on the couch.

Lifting: 250 days
Running: 300 Miles
Walking: 150 Miles
Biking: 1600 Miles

Thru January 17:

Lifting: 9/250 (3.6%)
Running: 13/300 (4.3%)
Walking: 8.75/150 (5.83%)
Biking: 42.43/1600 (2.65%)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:03:36 PM by mizzourah2006 »

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »
I'm so jealous of your snow @Linea_Norway !

We are still x-skiing on snow we got in November, and it's icy, debris covered, and sometimes thin or slushy... I really hope we get a good ski season in. I've signed my eldest up for lessons, and so far she's enjoying it in spite of the poor conditions. Hoping we'll get some soon! At least we have had fairly stable near zero temperatures and we can still skate, and the snow isn't completely gone!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2023, 02:19:11 PM »
Today we went an hour and 10 minutes CC skiing. For me it was an interval training, going very deep at times.
Nice circumstances.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2023, 08:24:21 PM »
Couple longer walks and 45 min weightlifting today. Burn felt good!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2023, 07:09:39 AM »
The sun is shining. We went CC skiing for one hour and 15 minutes. Now we skied the whole circle, not only back and forth over the same route. It included some seriously steep hills downhill, which are not my favorite.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2023, 09:04:59 PM »
Life got messy so I didn't go to the gym much last week. Went tonight for a long session. The e-gym, which is computerized weight lifting so you don't need to know what you're doing, did it periodic reset. For each station you do a strength test, and then it adjusts the weights for you. Happens about every 2 weeks. It got hard after that. Guess I'll be be getting stronger. Good thing my book is engrossing enough to distract me.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »
Back to the gym today. Still hard. I am sore. Probably won't be going tomorrow after work.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2023, 07:19:34 AM »
I had two days of rest in a row. I used one of them to clean the house while DH went skiing. I seem to be a lot less motivated to go skiing in weekends when circumstances are good. Then it is too crowded in the tracks and hard to park the car. DH went late in the afternoon when it became less crowded.

Today went went skiing a bit further from home, as that was the only place with freshly prepared tracks. Very good circumstances. There is qt least a meter of snow and still freezing (below zero Celsius).
But somehow I felt rubbish after a short while. All uphill parts were a major PITA. I don't know what is was. We skied for one and a half hour, but not further than we usually do in shorter time. Only 13 km or so, because I needed a lot of breaks. We just had eaten lunch before, and I had sugary lemonade with me. So it wasn't hunger/low blood sugar. Maybe two days of rest it bed for you? Or a night of bad sleep caused it?

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2023, 08:52:58 PM »
Back to the gym today. Still hard. I am sore. Probably won't be going tomorrow after work.
You know what they say, when the workout gets hard, that’s when it starts….good job keeping it up.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
Today we went CC skiing for another hour. But then something happened to DH who now has an injury in his biceps. There was no reason why this should have happened.  We had to turn around early and I had to fetch the car and pick up DH.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2023, 08:52:14 PM »
Did not go to the gym. Did shovel the slush that masqueraded as snow. Also got some stretching in while pulling kitten toys out from under the couch. They are getting too big to go under there now, so I'm having to retrieve more than previously.