Author Topic: Get Your Shit Together! Wills, living wills, POAs, life insurance, etc.  (Read 5866 times)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
Re: Get Your Shit Together! Wills, living wills, POAs, life insurance, etc.
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2017, 06:57:42 PM »
Got a medallion signature to fix someone else's mistake that was affecting us. Name spelled wrong on a brokerage account, mispelling courtesy a long-ago employer. Should be fixed soon now.

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
This is on my list for 2018. I really want to get my end of life plans sorted out because people always get weird about those things when the time comes. I am ineligible to donate any organs so I want my body donated to science...and even though everyone knows that, I want it written out so there is no turning around.  Aside from that, hubby doesn't have his name on the house at all so I need to make sure that gets taken care of ASAP.

Debating whether to get a small term life policy on him as well. I could manage financially without him but something to pay for his arrangements would be helpful (and I don't even know what type of arrangements he wants!)

Thanks for this thread...it should be a reminder for us to get on track.

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2017, 12:50:28 AM »
Great thread. Posting to find again and finish reading through. Took care of wills/POA a couple of years ago, but could work on emergency preparedness. Also need to have a discussion with my parents to see where their “shit” stands (I know it’s not in order and I’m hoping they’ll let me help). Will look at “the conversation” link for help with this.
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »
Posting this, partially to find later, partially to share with you all: https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1501683551530-cef254f971fed5df499b719d25325d07/Protect_Critical_Docs_and_Valuables_508.pdf

Fema's guidelines on safeguarding critical documents.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Board Member
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 01:34:11 PM »
Consider leaving your valuable documents at work. My building is open 24/7, earthquake-proof, filled with emergency food in the event of a natural disaster, with full time security and monitoring staff keeping an eye on things. My home has none of this.

If shit hits the fan, I'll be going there anyway.

Serendip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the reminder printed off beneficiary forms for RRSP & TFSA, ready to send!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:15 AM »
Thanks for this!  I drew up a will over a decade ago but it needs serious revision... and my husband doesn't have a will at all!

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
we need to do this this year. It has to get done. Two parents, 40 with two kids, over a million dollars in assets and NO WILL.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
I finally did this!  (At age 34).  Will, durable medical PoA, springing financial PoA, and in the process of getting life insurance, just did the physical exam.  I finally have someone in my life that I trust with these things, and as we've made the decision (for now at least) not to set marriage as an "end goal," we're setting each other up with as many legal protections and rights as possible outside of marriage.

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »
Yesterday I excecuted my will, and my deployment PoA, springing medical PoA, springing general PoA, and advanced directive.

I've also scanned 10 years of medical/dental records (that sucked). I need to scan all of 2017's records, plus my new passport and work credentials.

Progress!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Good job SS!

Update to thread readers re current step - received word that my application for long term care insurance (TLDR family Alzheimer's) is on hold pending completion of some physical therapy. PT is in progress. Will update in probably 2-3 months.

Optimiser

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2018, 12:20:30 PM »
Posting to follow and to remind myself to get my shit together.

Jessa

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2018, 12:21:24 PM »
Woo hoo! Life insurance application approved! I'll have one 10 year policy for $250k and one 20 year policy for $100k. Husband and Tiny Sparkles should be okay if i kick the bucket :)

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2018, 12:21:43 PM »
Good job SS!

Update to thread readers re current step - received word that my application for long term care insurance (TLDR family Alzheimer's) is on hold pending completion of some physical therapy. PT is in progress. Will update in probably 2-3 months.

Thank you, sir. Enjoy PT.

Roadrunner53

• Stubble
Get Your Shit Together! Wills, living wills, POAs, life insurance, etc.
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
We did our wills years ago and they need to be redone. Since the will were made my parents are gone and my Hubs parents are gone. We aren't close to 2 of his 3 siblings. One we get together maybe once a year for dinner. The other two are estranged from us. We have no close friends and no children. Hub has been wanting to redo the wills but I am at a loss on who to leave our money to if there is any left. Originally we left a token amount to Hubs siblings in the event the parents passed. So that is where it is now. Since we basically don't have much of a relationship with 2 out of the 3 that only leaves charity. We originally had a local animal welfare organization on the will. I still would like that. But I feel like something is missing! I keep postponing redoing the wills because I just don't know what to do! I have one close friend in another state and she could use money. She has had 3 failed marriages, bought a house and a car and had to go into foreclosure and had dumped inheritance money into the house. She had to declare bankruptcy. Whatever we decide to do I would like to put the money into a trust where the organization or person would get something like an annuity each year. Maybe something that they would only get the yearly interest and the principle would always be intact. Especially for an animal welfare organization. Anyone have any ideas here?

meerkat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
We did our wills years ago and they need to be redone. Since the will were made my parents are gone and my Hubs parents are gone. We aren't close to 2 of his 3 siblings. One we get together maybe once a year for dinner. The other two are estranged from us. We have no close friends and no children. Hub has been wanting to redo the wills but I am at a loss on who to leave our money to if there is any left. Originally we left a token amount to Hubs siblings in the event the parents passed. So that is where it is now. Since we basically don't have much of a relationship with 2 out of the 3 that only leaves charity. We originally had a local animal welfare organization on the will. I still would like that. But I feel like something is missing! I keep postponing redoing the wills because I just don't know what to do! I have one close friend in another state and she could use money. She has had 3 failed marriages, bought a house and a car and had to go into foreclosure and had dumped inheritance money into the house. She had to declare bankruptcy. Whatever we decide to do I would like to put the money into a trust where the organization or person would get something like an annuity each year. Maybe something that they would only get the yearly interest and the principle would always be intact. Especially for an animal welfare organization. Anyone have any ideas here?

I'd say that's definitely a lawyer question, especially if your friend lives in another state. They should also have an idea of what other clients have done in situations similar to yours where there's not much family they want to leave their money to.
meer journal for a meerkat

Will this matter in ten years?