Author Topic: Flipping Items for Extra Money - Share, brag, challenge yourself!  (Read 3608 times)

LindseyC

• Stubble
I did a search and didn't see any posts specific to sharing items that you are flipping for extra money.

Does anyone purchase items to flip? Do you have a specialty? Where do you find your items? Want to post pictures and "humble brag?" This is the spot to share all your successful and unsuccessful flips!

Personally, I had an online vintage shop for years that I flipped household and decor items in. So I have lots of experience with vintage items. I also sourced bigger items for a few brick and mortar stores and was a picker for a few individuals. I became seriously ill for about 4 years so stopped this side business but lately I have been feeling better and decided to start out slow with a few easy flips.

This month I sold 2 identical side tables I bought for $90 on the way home from work one day. I sold them for $130. It was an easy twenty minutes of total effort. I have just purchased an original Knechtel dresser for $85 and I currently have it listed for $350. My goal is to earn a minimum of $200 a month on average, but I have to start out slow as I am using my profits from flips to buy my next items and for health reasons I still have to be conscientious of not taking too much on all at once.

JoJoP

• Bristles
Re: Flipping Items for Extra Money - Share, brag, challenge yourself!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

Congrats on your success/

I have a real knack for finding a bargain, but poor resale habits.   

I've made good purchases (art purchased for $20 and sold for $400, and other success stories), but basically this side hustle works best if your clutter tolerance is very low.   I had to "give up" thrift store shopping, yard saleing and other forms of bargain hunting because I found the lure of the bargain to be too strong, but the hassle of selling overwhelming and slow. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:23:19 AM by JoJoP »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
Where do you store these items while you’re flipping? And how quick can you turn them over?

I was given a ton of designer clothing back around November to resell on eBay. It will be pure profit, but I have had no time to list anything which has been a pain. I’m thinking about just going to a consignment shop and unloading everything, but I could probably make a lot more if I listed myself. I have brand new J Crew silk tops with $120 price tags that I couldn’t even sell for 20, though. It’s been a bit frustrating.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »

Congrats on your success/

I have a real knack for finding a bargain, but poor resale habits.   

I've made good purchases (art purchased for $20 and sold for $400, and other success stories), but basically this side hustle works best if your clutter tolerance is very low.   I had to "give up" thrift store shopping, yard saleing and other forms of bargain hunting because I found the lure of the bargain to be too strong, but the hassle of selling overwhelming and slow.

Thank you.

I think you are right, my tolerance for clutter is very low. My house is pretty streamlined. When I first started selling vintage I bought WAY too much and had to donate a lot of stuff I could not sell. It took me a few years to finesse what would and wouldn't sell and I set limits, if I couldn't make a minimum of $20, I didn't even consider it.

Now I am highly selective (which is also because I am doing very low volume intentionally) which helps kill the lure. I also am very strict with myself and don't buy much for myself to keep. If I do buy something to keep, I have to sell something currently in my house that is a personal possession. This keeps my house minimal and checks any spending.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
Where do you store these items while you’re flipping? And how quick can you turn them over?

I was given a ton of designer clothing back around November to resell on eBay. It will be pure profit, but I have had no time to list anything which has been a pain. I’m thinking about just going to a consignment shop and unloading everything, but I could probably make a lot more if I listed myself. I have brand new J Crew silk tops with $120 price tags that I couldn’t even sell for 20, though. It’s been a bit frustrating.

In warm months I store furniture (and work on it) in my large garage. In the winter I store inside my house. I have a 2.5 bedroom house and also a rough basement that is just storage. When I had a store, one whole bedroom was filled with shelving. Now I am extremely low volume because I am just starting out, so I just tuck items in convenient places. I live alone and I am pretty minimal so I have tons of empty storage.

I try to do a few weeks turn around for furniture. Other items it depends on how specialized it is. Some vintage sells for big bucks but the right buyer takes time to find.

Personally I rarely sell clothing. I find it to be a very hard market. Brand names have to be big, items hard to find and people are quite picky. Even new items with labels, people will spend very low dollar amounts on because everyone thrifts these days. There are exceptions, but that has been my experience. I am listing a brand new suede jacket this week (bought for $5) and I will consider it a success if I can get $40 for it. It's a $300 jacket, but adult clothes are just a tough resale.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
Since you're Canadian Lindsey, have you seen this guy's site?   https://garbagefinds.com/   Amazing what he finds and sells.

@Tami1982 should post some of her finds here.   She does a super job of flipping things.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »
Since you're Canadian Lindsey, have you seen this guy's site?   https://garbagefinds.com/   Amazing what he finds and sells.

@Tami1982 should post some of her finds here.   She does a super job of flipping things.
+1 ... I love, and follow, Martin's blog.  He is amazing!!

I used to do garage sales regularly, and have also rescued the odd item from the curb.  I've refinished furniture, re-wired lamps, etc. etc. with good success back in the day, but the kind of antique furniture that I used to know and love has now fallen out of favour.  I am personally stuck with an old oak dining set from the 1920's with barley-twist accents that is (IMO) gorgeous: pedestal table, sideboard/hutch with beveled mirror, 6 chairs and 4 leaves, but would not fetch more than the $800 I paid for it 30 years ago, and it was a real bargain at the time.  I've used it and loved it all those years, but should've sold it 20 years ago.

I've bought and sold a few bits of antique jewelry and silver on eBay.  Once again though, it's no longer worthwhile or easy to do so any more.  Had a couple of massive wins with items that sold for 15-20 x what I paid, but those were few and far between.

Since old habits die hard though, I bought some new deeply-discounted sporting equipment items last fall at Winners and managed to sell it off on kijiji for a bit of a profit.  e.g. - four sets of baseball batting gloves for $4/pair, sold three of them for $15/pair.

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: Flipping Items for Extra Money - Share, brag, challenge yourself!c
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »

Oh I will check him out!!! Thank you!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
Meghan88 - I find some selling avenues more difficult and time consuming then they once were. I started on Etsy when it first opened and sold quite a few vintage items for some amazing prices. The value of vintage items in the US is a lot higher then here in Canada. However, it became a lot more time consuming as they changed rules and did constant site changes which is a shame because I lived the worldwide market option.

It's true the habit does die hard. Even when I was too sick to sell, on good days when I saw stuff it was "painful" to pass by the opportunity.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »
I'm cleaning up some of the remains from trying to do this a few years ago.  I still want to develop a skill for it, but now is probably not the time.  So I'll just read along and hopefully learn from others.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:43:12 AM »
I am always fixing flipping or trading something. I mostly do small outboard motors, snow blowers, chain saws, power washers, lawn mowers, and other small power equipment. Ohio has four seasons. I have a knack for motors and fixing things. I buy snow blowers all summer and lawn mowers in winter lol. Clean, repair, tune and get ready to sell. I have a love for fishing and playing out doors. This doesn't always fit the mustache life because I own a boat. I decided I needed a side hustle to offset the costs and keep a pocket full of "mad money" that I was free to play when I want. I have sold all my snow blowers for winter and the mowers are ready to roll. It also allows me to have some very nice equipment around for my own projects. Small outboards are my money makers. They almost always just have carburetor problems and need a water pump. I have seven of them ready for spring. I already sold one last week. It keeps me busy all winter and in the evenings in the shop. Happy flipping!!!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
I wish I had motor repair skills, I know in my area those handy people are always busy with side jobs!

I managed to sell another dresser (that was a garbage find for me) for $250 and I sold a cute Crewel piece (60's vintage) for $20 that I found for $4. Currently I have listed a vintage camera I made into a lamp (cost me $4) the same dresser from my first post and I am just about to list another dresser. I also am picking up a small cabinet tomorrow for $25 that I am confident I can sell for $100 once I do a little work on it.

The picture is the teak garbage find that earned me $250. :)

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:26:09 AM »
My problem is that I would keep that dresser OMG, so beautiful.  You've got a knack for this! 

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
My problem is that I would keep that dresser OMG, so beautiful.  You've got a knack for this!
This. What a nice piece!

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »

Please show us a picture of the lamp.  Surely I'm not the only one who is intrigued!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
It was a beautiful dresser but the one I found to replace it will be way better once I refinish it. I attached a picture of my new dresser to replace the teak one, a picture of the vintage camera lamp and also the $25 upright dresser I am going to refinish as well. The upright dresser is surprisingly tall at 56" and 16" deep, the picture is very misleading.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 05:32:58 AM »
I thought about this thread as I left a rummage sale last week and spied 2 mid century tables for $10 each.  Only the walnuts type, but $10!  Never see that.  But I'm in the process of eliminating right now and just couldn't do it. 

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
I thought about this thread as I left a rummage sale last week and spied 2 mid century tables for $10 each.  Only the walnuts type, but $10!  Never see that.  But I'm in the process of eliminating right now and just couldn't do it.

I get it. I was really sick for about 4 years (recovering now and not 100%) and as much as I needed the money I couldn't make myself buy even super awesome deals. Sometimes you just aren't in the right place in life. I sometimes think I should go full force again (I once had an entire vintage shop) but the thought of bringing all that "stuff" back into my life is frankly exhausting. That's why I am sticking to a few items at a time, just enough to speed up financial recovery but not, you know, buy a Porsche. :)

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:53 PM »
It was a beautiful dresser but the one I found to replace it will be way better once I refinish it. I attached a picture of my new dresser to replace the teak one, a picture of the vintage camera lamp and also the $25 upright dresser I am going to refinish as well. The upright dresser is surprisingly tall at 56" and 16" deep, the picture is very misleading.

Thanks for sharing your photos; these are great!