Author Topic: Fitness 2020  (Read 23160 times)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fitness 2020
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »

Some serious strength there, good luck! :-)

Thanks for the good word, I try.  Gains don't come easily where I'm at (I'm not terribly interested in gaining weight as I prefer a trim/low body fat look), but I'm pretty happy with my overall fitness level.  Though I'm mostly okay with a maintenance of my fitness without injury at my age, I'd be pleased to hit my posted goals.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
Just finished ALL of my physio exercises, which takes over an hour and is not fun.

I typically break them up into chunks because it's too tedious to do all of them, but I got into a physio flow state and just got it done.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • To be able to one day live exactly as I'd like.
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:19 AM »
Surgery recovery is underway for me. Going better than I anticipated. I am a little itchy and have a little pain, but it's being well managed with the meds I was given. I also didn't puke after anesthesia, which I'm extremely happy about.

ericbonabike

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
My wife and I are planning on taking our two year old son to Europe and biking from Prague, down to Leichtenstein through Germany and Austria, turn west, head through switzerland, then turn northwest, paralleling the france/germany border, up through luxembourgh, brussels, and terminating in amsterdam.

Expect it to take 30ish days at 40 miles a day for 1000 total miles.

He weighs about 30 lbs, trailer weighs another 25 lbs, and I'll be carrying another 20 lbs of gear.
Wife will carry 30ish lbs of gear.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Went to the gym yesterday, but there were 4 people there! There's NEVER anyone in my gym even though it's shared by 3 high rise buildings. Then I remembered that it's January, lol.

Did some elliptical since both the bike and the rower were occupied, and then had to wait while awkwardly watching middle aged men try to use free weights and machines whole clearly having absolutely no clue what they were doing.

My shoulder is a bit effed today because I pushed it just slightly too far with the weights. It's such a pain in the ass trying to find the perfect balance where I make gains but don't get hurt. It just feels impossible not to hurt myself at least a little if I push myself at all.

same same.  My fave gym closed down (a kettlebell gym focusing on strength), so now I do body pump, which is lower weight and higher reps.

I have been adjusting my weights there here and there...first, I don't like the "pace" of the movements (too fast), so I intentionally slow mine down.  The people who line up behind me in class know that by now.  Second, I have been slowly increasing my weights BUT - I have a left shoulder issue, a right elbow/ bicep issue, and an occasionally stiff neck.  So I find myself having to adjust the weights for overhead presses, bicep work to adjust for the issues that I have.  I never really know how it's going to go on a given day, and Monday I found myself dialing it back for every single workout.

It's a real pisser, but I figure at least I'm moving, even if I never increase weight ever again.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
Ran 2.5 miles this morning, at a leisurely 12:00 mile.  This year's mantra, have fun!

So I'm tapering for a race on Sat (8.2 miles) that I'm probably not going to "race" (but who knows), since this is the year of FUN.  After the race, I will shift my Thursday from run back to swim, and focus my free time efforts more on losing some of the 13 lbs I gained last year. 

It's mostly that I'm a little fluffy around the middle.  I gained muscle last year, but not all of it is muscle...

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 03:05:05 PM »
I have started to figure out what I am going to concentrate on this year. I am dealing with sore joints, I am recovering from dislocating my hip. And over all I no longer want to lift heavy or run.

I was trying to get into running last fall with the hopes of doing a full Ironman. But with dislocating my hip...it put me on my ass for 3 weeks. I never want to run again. I was able to run my fastest 5k two days before my dislocation so there is at least that.

I signed up for a 5k, a 15K 3 half marathons and a sprint triathlon last fall. So My plan is I am going to do them all but I am going to walk. I hope to get my walking speed back up. But it has been about a month since I injured myself and I am just now walking almost 3 miles again with minimal pain. So progress.

I also want to get away from a personal trainer I go to. And I want to be able to ditch one of the gyms I go to. It is only $10 a month but if I am not going to lift heavy I do not need it. I am going to spend through spring transitioning to much more yoga, walking, swimming, biking and body weight movements.

I am working through the thought process as this is not what I have really done. I have been go to the gym, go as hard and heavy as I could for as long as I could 5-6x a week. So I am taking my time transitioning. But I want to feel good in my body and if just sitting in a chair hurts...that is not working for me.

Thank you for this thread to help me start figuring out what I truly need to do for my whole self.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2020, 05:04:50 PM »
Did some treadmill intervals. The training podcast I'm using recommended a faster jog than I'm used to. More like running for me, but I'm no quitter.

Now my bum knee is crunching, and my opposite shin is sore. So, lesson learned.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »
So far this week, I've:
-Run 2x (both slow & short distances, but have to start somewhere)
-Done a 30 minute HIIT workout
-Eaten significantly better than during the holidays. Tracked calories. Made better choices. Cut out snacking & (most) treats.

Feeling good about the first week or so.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2020, 05:44:19 PM »
I am working through the thought process as this is not what I have really done. I have been go to the gym, go as hard and heavy as I could for as long as I could 5-6x a week. So I am taking my time transitioning. But I want to feel good in my body and if just sitting in a chair hurts...that is not working for me.

Thank you for this thread to help me start figuring out what I truly need to do for my whole self.

Yes!  It's nice to read this and realize I'm not the only one...

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »
Do those of you who go super hard and heavy agree with this theory about cortisol slowing down weight loss? I'm thinking there could be some merit to that. The fix is to walk a lot outside at a relaxed pace, so you not only burn the calories but you do so without the cortisol.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:04 AM »
Do those of you who go super hard and heavy agree with this theory about cortisol slowing down weight loss? I'm thinking there could be some merit to that. The fix is to walk a lot outside at a relaxed pace, so you not only burn the calories but you do so without the cortisol.

This doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

I regularly do hard, long 5-6 hour (120 - 160km) bike rides on weekends in the summer.  According to the heart rate monitor on my bike computer I'm burning between 5-6000 calories on one of these rides.  I also bike to work (40 km round trip) 2 or 3 times a week, and lift weights 2 or 3 times a week.  All summer long, I steadily lose weight . . . and basically eat like a pig at every meal.  (After a Saturday ride a favorite dinner for me is to eat a whole extra large Pizza Hut pizza.)  Regardless of what I eat, I'm down 15 - 20 lbs by the end of the fall.

In winter I drop the long rides, reduce the amount that I'm eating, and increase the amount that I lift.  I keep bike commuting a couple times a week to work.  I gain back 15 - 20 lbs over the four months, and all my lifts go way up.

Before taking up cycling, I was entering competitive Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo tournaments.  It was similar.  I'd always lose weight when increasing the amount of time I was doing very intense sparring . . . eventually I learned to be careful to limit mat time in the last couple weeks around a competition to avoid dropping below my target weight.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
Yeah, CICO (calories in-calories out) does make the most sense for weight maintenance, but every so often I read something by some expert where they have found THIS ONE SECRET and down the rabbit hole we go...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »
Another interval workout. Warmed up the gimp knee first, and it went much better.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
As far as calories in vs out and going hard vs not and weight loss - it really is going to depend a LOT on individual genetics, and age, and sex.  Two people can do identical workouts and eating and will not respond the same way.  Plus, individual response changes with age.

A lot of people train hard and don't lose weight, and it can be for any number of reasons (eating more, sleeping less, more stress, genetics).  In fact, if you do some research and talk to trainers - a question that comes up a LOT is "how can I gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?"

The answer that they  mostly all give (because: look at what the professionals do) is that: you can't.  In order to get muscle gain, you need to GAIN.  Pretty much all professionals who compete first go through a GAINING phase (eat more, gain weight, gain muscle), and then go through a CUTTING phase (cut out calories and carbs and drop fat).

Likewise, one of my (former) trainers pointed out that it's super hard to train for more than one thing at once.  If you are training for a half marathon and trying to get faster, you aren't likely going to be able to maintain your crossfit regimen. 

The question is, what are you training for?  I can drop weight fairly well (5 lbs anyway, but no more than that) when I am training for uphill half marathons.  Regular half marathons, not so much.  If I want to drop weight, I have to focus on dropping weight.  If I want to train, I have to focus on training.  The two do not coincide for me, because otherwise I need fuel.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 09:39:36 PM »
I’ve focused on losing weight for the past 18 months. I’ve done a great job of it, but the weight loss has really slowed down despite the fact that I still have another 10-20 lbs to lose. Instead of stressing out about the weight, I’d like to focus more on the fitness aspect. I recently started jogging in place (I’m replacing my treadmill and in the process of deciding which treadmill to buy...I would love suggestions). At this point, I’m averaging around 5 miles/hour. Not great, but not terrible since I’ve never been a runner. I’d really like to get around a 6-7 mile/hour pace.

Goals:
•6-7 miles/hour run
•lose 10-20 lbs

Does anyone have suggestions for good shoes? Around the 45 minute mark, my feet start to hurt. I usually run on the balls of my feet and need shoes with a lot of good cushion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »
Went back to work last week after a few weeks off, so only managed to work out twice. My job is so incredibly hard on my body, hence why I'm cutting my hours even more after this week.

Did elliptical and weights again yesterday, and this time there were 5 people in the gym!!! Ugh, I can't wait for these resolutioners to start dropping like flies because there's always someone using the bike.

I'm starting to develop an appreciation for the elliptical though. I do it without holding on, so it's good for balance and working my stabilizers. It's mostly men in the gym* and I've noticed that they tend to avoid the elliptical, so that works for me.

It's mostly men because it's a really hideous, old, ugly, creepy basement gym and there's a gorgeous, huge, women's only gym across the street.

Personally, I like my ugly Rocky-style gym, but I like it a lot more when it's empty.

ETA: did Pilates today, may do one set of 20 flights of stairs, we'll see, I have a busy day
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:40:44 AM by Malkynn »

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
My goal for this year is to lose a bit of fat while maintaining or increasing my weight. Currently I'm 77kg (170 lbs) and the last time I had my body fat % measured was in August and I had just started going to the gym (body fat at 14,9% back then). I don't have a precise goal, since this is more for vanity purposes.

On the fitness side of things, i want to get a stronger back to support my spine and alleviate posture issues and continue to use the bicycle as my #1 transport.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
As far as calories in vs out and going hard vs not and weight loss - it really is going to depend a LOT on individual genetics, and age, and sex.  Two people can do identical workouts and eating and will not respond the same way.  Plus, individual response changes with age.

A lot of people train hard and don't lose weight, and it can be for any number of reasons (eating more, sleeping less, more stress, genetics).  In fact, if you do some research and talk to trainers - a question that comes up a LOT is "how can I gain muscle and lose fat at the same time?"

The answer that they  mostly all give (because: look at what the professionals do) is that: you can't.  In order to get muscle gain, you need to GAIN.  Pretty much all professionals who compete first go through a GAINING phase (eat more, gain weight, gain muscle), and then go through a CUTTING phase (cut out calories and carbs and drop fat).

Likewise, one of my (former) trainers pointed out that it's super hard to train for more than one thing at once.  If you are training for a half marathon and trying to get faster, you aren't likely going to be able to maintain your crossfit regimen. 

The question is, what are you training for?  I can drop weight fairly well (5 lbs anyway, but no more than that) when I am training for uphill half marathons.  Regular half marathons, not so much.  If I want to drop weight, I have to focus on dropping weight.  If I want to train, I have to focus on training.  The two do not coincide for me, because otherwise I need fuel.

Regarding CICO, I'm more inclined to believe that the variations of outcomes are results of faulty reporting of calorie intake and exercise than genetics or age and sex. I mean, if the anecdote or study regarding weight loss/gain rely on self reported food intake and exercise regimen, then it's probably safer to take the result with a grain of salt since humans tend to underestimate food intake while overestimating exercise done. Not to mention NEAT

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2020, 01:57:45 PM »
Great idea for a post! My goal is to establish good fitness 'systems’ for 2020. I will post updates in this string once/month.

I've grouped my intent into three categories: Rowing, Consistency, and Wellbeing.

1. Rowing
I purchased an Concept2 rower (erg) for my home gym in December 2019. My goal for 2020 is to row 1 million meters. This translates to about 2,739 meters/day or about 83,333 meters/month.  So far, so good - I've been in the 3,000-5,000 meter range everyday so far. Interestingly enough, the equatorial circumference of Earth is about 40 million meters - so I guess the real attempt is to row 1/40th of the equatorial circumference of Earth. And here's hoping that 1 million meters rowed translates to $1 million net worth in 2020 :)

I just purchased a Concept2 rower as well.  I'm thought I hated to row but once I got my form down watching Dark Horse Rowing on YT, I've fallen in love.  Best of luck on your goal, sounds awesome!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2020, 02:15:14 PM »
I’ve focused on losing weight for the past 18 months. I’ve done a great job of it, but the weight loss has really slowed down despite the fact that I still have another 10-20 lbs to lose. Instead of stressing out about the weight, I’d like to focus more on the fitness aspect. I recently started jogging in place (I’m replacing my treadmill and in the process of deciding which treadmill to buy...I would love suggestions). At this point, I’m averaging around 5 miles/hour. Not great, but not terrible since I’ve never been a runner. I’d really like to get around a 6-7 mile/hour pace.

Goals:
•6-7 miles/hour run
•lose 10-20 lbs

Does anyone have suggestions for good shoes? Around the 45 minute mark, my feet start to hurt. I usually run on the balls of my feet and need shoes with a lot of good cushion.

Are you already using specialty insoles? People speak very highly of Superfeet. It may not be your shoe, but your insole that's not good enough, particularly if you are using the factory-provided one.

If you do need a new shoe, people speak very highly of Altra. My podiatrist recommended them and all the long distance hikers that do shoes (rather than boots) love Altra. I just got some to replace my last cross trainers and am optimistic so far.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:06 AM »

Regarding CICO, I'm more inclined to believe that the variations of outcomes are results of faulty reporting of calorie intake and exercise than genetics or age and sex. I mean, if the anecdote or study regarding weight loss/gain rely on self reported food intake and exercise regimen, then it's probably safer to take the result with a grain of salt since humans tend to underestimate food intake while overestimating exercise done. Not to mention NEAT

From person to person, maybe, within one person - no.  My ability to count calories, weigh food, has not changed over the years (nor has my method).  What has changed is my age (but not my activity level).

(Plus if you think there's little difference between weight loss between a 25 year old man and a menopausal women, then I have a bridge to sell you.)

Also, there's this:
https://www.foodpolitics.com/2010/01/how-many-extra-calories-cause-weight-gain/

Goes into weight setpoints.  Simply cutting a few calories will do jack for losing weight.  You have to cut a LOT.  (Likewise, when gaining the weight in the first place, you probably ate a LOT.)

Also, there's this:
https://korr.com/blog/biggest-loser-resting-metabolic-rate/

Showing that your past history can have a massive effect on your metabolic rate.

Years ago I read "Refuse to Regain" by Dr. Barbara Berkeley (a doctor who works with obese patients), and in her practice, she learned that there's a big difference between how the boy functioned depending on your history.  People who were NOW (never overweight) metabolized foods differently than people who were FOW (formerly overweight).  Especially carbohydrates.  For many people who have spent much of their life fat EVEN if they lose weight - they CAN NEVER eat like a person who was never overweight.  Their bodies do not function the same way.

But sure, CICO, that's all it is, like ever.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:17:34 AM by mm1970 »

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
I don't know that I'll actually be posting any updates, but I actually *have* fitness goals for this year, so here you go.

Goal #1: 100 pushups in 10 minutes. Every day. 5 days a week. Current starting point-- 25 pushups absolute max. IF I pull this off sooner than 6-8 months in, I'd like to add pull/chin-ups as a goal, but that requires actual equipment, so may not actually happen.

Goal #2: Learn to swim (well). Current skill level is "mostly-not-drown" mainly dog-paddle, with a bit of very, VERY terrible crawl/breast stroke. I can *not* tread water. I can probably swim the length of the pool without drowning, but it won't be pretty or fast. If I somehow fell off of a boat or canoe in the middle of a lake or wanted to go legitimately surfing? I'd be doomed. Let alone try to possibly rescue one of my children in such a situation. This means (1) learning proper swimming techniques, (2) learning proper breathing techniques, and (3) overcoming my negative buoyancy through a combination of (1) and (2) [not as bad now as it was when I was younger, but still, even with 100% full lungs, I'm only just barely breaking the surface; something about being approximately 0% body fat probably has to do with it, lol!] To do this, I bit the bullet and signed up for a YMCA membership ($$) since they basically have a monopoly on all the swimming pools in the area.

Goal #3: Flexibility. I have some recurring back/hip pain that I am certain is due to tight/strained core muscles. Goal here is to loosen those muscles up by a combination of posture exercises and stretches. Success here will be no back pain, I guess? I do have some set measurable flexibility goals, so I'll be working towards those, while paying attention to how I feel along the way.

Goal #1: Can now do 20-25 pushups reliably, with my personal best at 42 (with <60sec non-holding rest breaks). Definite progress.

Goal #2: Have been trying to make a habit to hit the Y at least 3-4 times/week. So far have watched a ton of videos on youtube, and done some basic drills in the pool. Observations: my current weight is pretty much an all-time high at 145lbs, which means I actually float the way all the swim lessons say you're supposed to. So that's helpful. I expect I'll drop some weight as I pick up activity levels, but hopefully I'll master actually swimming by then. I can do a not-ugly frog-style breast-stroke(?) across the pool and back (50meters?). I still haven't figured out the breathing pattern/rhythm for a good freestyle stroke, but I'm working on it. Also, trying to see where I'm going while doing front crawl is proving difficult.

Goal#3: I definitely have some posture issues, so will be working on that, which should correspond to gains in flexibility and reduction in pain.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2020, 02:24:07 PM »

From person to person, maybe, within one person - no.  My ability to count calories, weigh food, has not changed over the years (nor has my method).  What has changed is my age (but not my activity level).

(Plus if you think there's little difference between weight loss between a 25 year old man and a menopausal women, then I have a bridge to sell you.)

Also, there's this:

Goes into weight setpoints.  Simply cutting a few calories will do jack for losing weight.  You have to cut a LOT.  (Likewise, when gaining the weight in the first place, you probably ate a LOT.)

Also, there's this:

Showing that your past history can have a massive effect on your metabolic rate.

Years ago I read "Refuse to Regain" by Dr. Barbara Berkeley (a doctor who works with obese patients), and in her practice, she learned that there's a big difference between how the boy functioned depending on your history.  People who were NOW (never overweight) metabolized foods differently than people who were FOW (formerly overweight).  Especially carbohydrates.  For many people who have spent much of their life fat EVEN if they lose weight - they CAN NEVER eat like a person who was never overweight.  Their bodies do not function the same way.

My personal experience does not support that you need to cut a lot of calories to lose weight.

Speaking as someone who very slowly gained 65lbs over 4 years and then lost over 70lbs over 4 years, I can firmly say that the calorie excesses and deficits were not large.

It's not just me either, by following how I eat, DH has lost 35lbs, my mom 50lbs, her DH 40lbs, and I've helped several friends and colleagues get similar results, just very very slowly, like 1-2lbs/mo, which can be hard to even detect as it's happening.

It's certainly not a scientific, but it's enough of a cross sectional sample to have me believing that small deficits can absolutely result in weight loss for at least some of us.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
It's not just me either, by following how I eat, DH has lost 35lbs, my mom 50lbs, her DH 40lbs, and I've helped several friends and colleagues get similar results, just very very slowly, like 1-2lbs/mo, which can be hard to even detect as it's happening.

Slowly is so underrated! That's kind of where I'm at with the Noom app. I have lost 5 lbs since November, but more importantly I feel fantastic thanks to the variety of fruits & veggies & leaner proteins I've been eating. Something about the gamification/dopamine hit of how they categorize foods (simply by calorie density/whole foods) has me tracking food longer than I ever have before. I also tried the EatRightNow app but that one had a preachy quality about it that rubbed me the wrong way. The last thing you need when trying to eat better is MORE morality around food.

Noom is a bit expensive but I think they've done a great job around behavior change, which must be a gradually, continually reinforced process.

Goinganon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »

Goals:
•6-7 miles/hour run
•lose 10-20 lbs

Are you already using specialty insoles? People speak very highly of Superfeet. It may not be your shoe, but your insole that's not good enough, particularly if you are using the factory-provided one.

If you do need a new shoe, people speak very highly of Altra. My podiatrist recommended them and all the long distance hikers that do shoes (rather than boots) love Altra. I just got some to replace my last cross trainers and am optimistic so far.

I’ve never used insoles or had running shoes. I tend to buy one pair of shoes and then wear them to death. The ones I have now are starting to get holes in the soles so it’s probably time for me to get a new pair or two. I’ll look into the Altra. Thanks.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »

Also, there's this:

Also, there's this:

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, what I mean by repeating your "genetics, age and sex" is that those are accounted in the CO part of CICO. You can estimate them and adjust your intake accordingly (which is easier said than done).

And your two links don't disprove CICO. In the first one the author states that the body regulates weight while ignoring small changes in calorie intake but offer no evidence of that. The second is a study on "metabolic adaptation" which show results at odds with other studies on the subject. The jury is still out on that, but even if metabolic adaptation is significant for regainers, it just changes the calorie output for those individuals, not disproving CICO.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »

Goals:
•6-7 miles/hour run
•lose 10-20 lbs

I’ve never used insoles or had running shoes. I tend to buy one pair of shoes and then wear them to death. The ones I have now are starting to get holes in the soles so it’s probably time for me to get a new pair or two. I’ll look into the Altra. Thanks.

Interested to hear what you think of them. I thought they look kind of odd, because they have a really big toe box, but that's on purpose and is important for the foot. So I've already gotten used to the different look.

Also do read up on using factory insoles (of whatever shoes you end up with) versus Superfeet or others. It seems to make a big difference for some people and I don't think it's a gimmick.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2020, 06:17:18 PM »
Today was a solid hour of physio and a 5km walk. I need to stop doing pushups as part of physio though because my shoulder doesn't like them anymore :(

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 11:29:02 AM »
I got my first pair of Altras last year and I really like them.  It's been work to get used to the zero drop, but I have a wide foot (wide toe box) and a narrow heel so they are perfect for me.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I got my first pair of Altras last year and I really like them.  It's been work to get used to the zero drop, but I have a wide foot (wide toe box) and a narrow heel so they are perfect for me.

I'm kind of confused about the zero drop thing and have been too lazy to look it up. All the insoles I've gotten have sort of a heel, implying that zero drop is that opposite of what's good. But Altra makes a big point of it, like having your heel raised is bad. ??

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

I'm kind of confused about the zero drop thing and have been too lazy to look it up. All the insoles I've gotten have sort of a heel, implying that zero drop is that opposite of what's good. But Altra makes a big point of it, like having your heel raised is bad. ??
Having your heel raised is bad for running form, which allows you to heel strike.

Zero drop shoes should make you run more mid-foot or forefoot, which is better form for your whole body.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2020, 11:13:58 AM »
The gym is finally starting to thin out, only 2 people there today. One guy is probably in his 70s and clearly an avid runner, so I probably didn't see him all summer because he was running outside. Thankfully he sticks to just the treadmill, which I never use. He also doesn't talk, which I appreciate.

The other guy was maybe late 20s and looked rough, like he survives on booze and red bull. He would do these quick 30 second rapid sets and then just sit for a solid 5-8 minutes between sets.
Is this a thing? I'm seeing this from the young guys, this lengthy sitting, that wasn't a thing back in the 90s when I was an avid gym monkey, sure, people paused between sets, but not like this, and yet I'm seeing it from multiple young guys right now.

Anyhoo, did about 20 minutes on the bike, some weights (I only do one set, it's how I was trained), and then 20 flights of stairs back up to my apartment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
A couple years when I was hitting a lot of personal records under the barbell, I had everything timed out with a stop watch.  With big lifts (deadlift/squat especially) it could be as much as 3 or 4 minutes rest between sets.  That was typically just after my heaviest working sets though.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »
Starting to see dividend from my working out. Took about 3 weeks. Ain't so bad!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
A couple years when I was hitting a lot of personal records under the barbell, I had everything timed out with a stop watch.  With big lifts (deadlift/squat especially) it could be as much as 3 or 4 minutes rest between sets.  That was typically just after my heaviest working sets though.

Yeah, I would expect it with big lifts, but not 5-8 minute breaks between quick sets of rapid reps of cable pull down.
Granted, he did really look hungover, so he might have been trying not to puke.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2020, 06:42:14 AM »

Yeah, I would expect it with big lifts, but not 5-8 minute breaks between quick sets of rapid reps of cable pull down.

Is he glued to a smartphone? When I go to the gym on sundays, and there are not many people there, a few guys seem to think that the machines can be used as regular chairs while they socialize on instagram.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2020, 06:56:11 AM »

Is he glued to a smartphone? When I go to the gym on sundays, and there are not many people there, a few guys seem to think that the machines can be used as regular chairs while they socialize on instagram.

Oh absolutely, each time I see these young guys doing this, they're on their phones. I suspect maybe they are intending to take short breaks and then get distracted?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
Sounds like a HIIT workout, but a little long on the rest portion?

I'm starting to get some definition back in my arms.  I haven't shifted any weight, but my jeans feel a tiny bit looser, so if I'm a little leaner than last month, I'll take it. 

My running speed and endurance are getting just a little bit better, but I'm still at 11-minute miles, whereas, near my peak about 5 years ago, I ran a 23:40 5K.  I don't think I'll get back to that speed, but I'd love to get back to a 27-ish 5K, and generally feel that running 4 or 5 miles without walk breaks is pretty easy.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
Fitness goals for 2020, woo!

Reduce my resting heart rate to 65-70 bpm
- Currently my fitbit says that my rhr is ~ 80, which is dumb.  My other fitness goals should help with this.

Get at least 8k steps/day. 
- It's not a lot, but it's more than I get right now at my desk job.

"Bike" 3 days a week for at least 20 minutes on my new bike trainer stand, yay!
- I'm planning to do it Sun, Tues, and Friday after the kids go to bed.  DH has concurrently scheduled writing sessions, so we're both well occupied.  I was biking the 2 miles to work 4 days/week before we moved, and I miss it.  This is inferior, but still something.

Get my dead lift past my previous max of 205 lbs
- Both times I've gotten up to 205 through consistent lifting, I found out I was pregnant (planned, but still inconvenient for increasing dead lift weights).  I think right now I'm at MAAAYBE 135 lbs, so it's a reasonable goal for a whole year.
- To this end, I want to lift for 30-45 minutes 2 days/week.  It's not a lot, but I hate lifting at night after the kids go to bed, so I'm finding it hard to make time for.  Still don't have a concrete plan for this, though.

Fast until dinner on Sundays
- This is my only food/weight-related goal.  I am terrible at portion control and snacking (I've gained like 8 lbs since Thanksgiving because we hosted and therefore had all the leftovers forever), but I think having goals for that is counter productive for me.  This is an easy, measurable goal that will help reduce overall intake, and give me a baby reset every week to remind myself what it ACTUALLY feels like to be hungry vs wanting to chew on something tasty.

I've hit 8k steps 5 of 7 days this week.  It's a work in progress, but good to track and realize how few steps I generally take during the day.

Spinning has been updated to 2 days a week (Sunday/Thursday), and Tuesday is now a lifting day, so I can lift Tuesday night and Saturday during baby girl's second nap.  This week that actually worked out, and I feel good about it.  Baseline deadlift on Saturday was 3 working sets of 5 x 145 lbs, plus warmup and drop sets, and I don't feel like I'm so sore I'm going to die today, so I'll increase my weight next week.  Also, working out in our un-insulated garage when it's 20 degrees F overnight is not the best.  I wore a hat and sweats (over my base layer) yesterday.  Totally worth it to not have to drive to a gym, though!

Sunday fast day seems totally doable so far.  Weight control will hopefully be augmented by trying to get a minimum of 500g of fruits/veggies/leaves a day for the rest of the week, preferably 800g.  Having a tupperware of cut up carrots at work has helped IMMENSELY this last week.  Carrots are pretty tasty, very cheap, and actually quite satisfying for easy mindless munching while doing desk work.

DH and I are both helping track each other's 2020 goals, and it's pretty helpful so far.  This week we agreed that if he didn't drink, I wouldn't eat sweets.  It's not great, haha, but we're both sticking to it, and it's not as hard as I expected.  I'd still love some ice cream...

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »

Oh absolutely, each time I see these young guys doing this, they're on their phones. I suspect maybe they are intending to take short breaks and then get distracted?

Yes, every time I see those long breaks it's just a guy playing on his phone or even tablet (with zero regard for those around him who actually want to work out on the machines they're tying up).

k9

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
My fitness goal for 2020: complete the "simple" challenge from the "kettlebell simple & sinister" program.

For those who don't know the program: the "simple" challenge is to perform 10 sets of 10 one-handed swings, then 10 turkish get-ups, both with a 32kg kettlebell.

I started the program at the end of December, and moving toward 24kg for the swings, and 20kg for the get-ups.

I love this program, the fact that sessions are so short, can be done from home, and don't exhaust you so you can do something else of your evening / night. Plus, it seems to have solved my lower back pain issues. I'm more flexible, too. Highly recommend it.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »
My fitness goals aren't going so well.  I' fining myself uncomfortably exhausted (immediately after, but more pertinently, 24 hours after) when I increase weight or number of minutes of HIIT.  Part of me wonders if I'm not getting enough protein in my diet, but I also feel like I used to read that most nutritionists would always say that wasn't the answer and the average American gets far far more than enough protein in their diet.  Then again, maybe that's not true for me if I'm practically vegetarian and I am doing 30 minutes of weight training 3-4 times a week?  I don't know, that doesn't seem like a lot to me, although I know it's a lot more than (again) the average American. 

Anyway, I hate to blame diet for my lack of progress.  I was adding a tablespoon+ of pea protein to my near-daily shakes last spring when I was training for a thru-hike and I don't feel like that made a difference, but I'm not sure I was paying close attention or pushing as hard as I am now.  So I just sort of continue pushing a little further. It's not like I'm passing out or so sore I can't move the next day.  Just more tired than I think I should be (like 24 hour later, I can still feel like I just finished the workout about 10 minutes ago) and those couple additional minutes or pounds never seem to become my new baseline.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
Did about 10K steps today, but not just any step, they were all trudging through snow in -18C/0F, which is ever so slightly more challenging than normal walking, lol.

I hate driving in the weather, but walking, with the proper shoes is actually pretty fun.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
@sui generis listen to your body. If you are an experienced athlete, and it sounds like you have done some major endeavors, then you know what's a normal feeling for you post-exercise. This sense of hitting an upper limit is likely a message from your body. Of course, in the early building stages of training there can be weeks of intense exhaustion. These are usually followed by a decrease in effort or a taper.

Are you underweight? Are you truly getting the protein, fat and amino acids you need? Are you overly rigid in your diet (orthorexic)?

Alternatively, you may simply be working outside your weight class. It takes mass to lift mass. As a rather small but very strong person, it always surprised me when a much bigger woman would outlift me simply because she weighed a lot more.

Also, I read a great book recently that pointed out that this idea of a 7-day week in training is totally arbitrary, and as we age (but continue to get faster and stronger than ever), we should increase intensity and rest, and deemphasize endurance. So, maybe you need a 9- or 11-day week that incorporates a lot more rest than you're getting.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »
Gym today and NO ONE was there!
Glorious.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2020, 10:21:52 AM »
@sui generis  what about sleep?  When I was lifting more, I felt like I needed an extra hour of sleep for every hour I spent at the gym.  If you're concerned about protein, you can a) track your food for a few days and see what your intake really is and/or b) up your protein intake for a week or two and see if it makes a difference.  Both options sound better than feeling so exhausted.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
Thanks @horsepoor and @Fru-Gal. I'm definitely getting a decent amount of sleep, but I'm not keeping track of food/nutrition at all.  And I guess if I have fitness goals (especially now that I'm over 40) I should really be more deliberate and holistic about those goals.  I suppose I can no longer just expect easy answers and fixes as I get older. I really didn't think I was asking very much of my body, so that I didn't need to think about anything beyond reasonable rest of at least 48 hours for sore muscles.  But maybe I am...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2020, 02:50:31 PM »
My fitness goal for 2020: complete the "simple" challenge from the "kettlebell simple & sinister" program.

For those who don't know the program: the "simple" challenge is to perform 10 sets of 10 one-handed swings, then 10 turkish get-ups, both with a 32kg kettlebell.

I started the program at the end of December, and moving toward 24kg for the swings, and 20kg for the get-ups.

I love this program, the fact that sessions are so short, can be done from home, and don't exhaust you so you can do something else of your evening / night. Plus, it seems to have solved my lower back pain issues. I'm more flexible, too. Highly recommend it.
32 kg, wow.  Before my kb gym closed down, I had maybe maxed out at 12 kg for the TGU and 20 kg for swings, but only double swings.  Prob 16 kg for single.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Thanks @horsepoor and @Fru-Gal. I'm definitely getting a decent amount of sleep, but I'm not keeping track of food/nutrition at all.  And I guess if I have fitness goals (especially now that I'm over 40) I should really be more deliberate and holistic about those goals.  I suppose I can no longer just expect easy answers and fixes as I get older. I really didn't think I was asking very much of my body, so that I didn't need to think about anything beyond reasonable rest of at least 48 hours for sore muscles.  But maybe I am...
Ah, good luck, but I can feel you.  I am nearing 50, and I am finding things are just a lot harder right now.

Two years ago went great, but these days - it's harder for me to add weight.  I get MUCH more tired now than before.  I get plenty of sleep and I pay attention to my diet.

It takes me a lot longer to get over colds, too, and the weather isn't helping.  I have a few niggling bothersome twinges (left shoulder, right bicep, left side of neck), and will occasionally feel a "tweak" while lifting, which is a sign to lighten up or STOP.