Author Topic: Fire drill! Skip this week's grocery shop  (Read 105496 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: Fire drill! Skip this week's grocery shop
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
Everyone sounds like they are doing some great meals, I am getting so many ideas!

PJ - Quick plea... Because you mentioned it was Gouda specifically which is not an aged cheese please toss it....I've had a severe case of food poisoning from old Gouda and wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. It made me really sick and didn't even have any visible mold on it at all and tasted totally fine.

We did leftover bean patties fried up with some remnants of Rhubarb Chutney that we had in the fridge, tasty but not very exciting.

I tried to use a "flax Egg" substitute in my muffins, it worked okay but it definitely made for a dry batter and slightly drier muffins. Will have to experiment with it some more in different applications before I make a call on them.

I used up some oats and a can of pumpkin puree to make 2 ingredient cookies - They are Vegetarian, PJ! http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/09/the-autumn-2-ingredient-cookie/#comments

They might go over better if they are not called cookies...not something you would reach for if you wanted an indulgent snack - but I added chocolate chips and that helped in one, and a little maple syrup and sweet spices in the second batch. They are good portable fill you up bites though (I make them very small and flatten them) So I will probably keep making them trying out different add ins.

Ohh...and I would be hooped if we lost electricity, which happen once last winter...hydro didn't believe me when I said we were out because no one else in the fourplex complained (They all work outside of the house during the day) I was without electricity  and we have no other heating source in -20 for 8+ hours, they only decided to take a look after countless calls when I said I have a baby and needed to know if I should be spending the night in a motel. Everything is electric, oven too....on that note...if anyone knows of any safe emergency heating sources...I'd be grateful for the advice:)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:14:28 PM by swick »

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »
That cookie recipe sounds great!  I never make dessert type things, but I think I could handle two ingredients!  Thanks. It doesn't sound really sweet and sugary, which is why I think I'd like it.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
Definitely not sweet unless you want them to be!

While I don't know that I would call them cookies in way you normally think a cookie should be, they are really customizable and fun to play with. I would say "three" ingredient cookies because I always add a little bit of vanilla extract besides being tasty it helps hide the "tinny" taste you sometimes get with canned Pumpkin.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
You might be right about the gouda, swick.  Thanks for the heads up! 

And I love the 2 ingredient cookie idea as well - both the pumpkin and banana versions sound great!  In fact, I must remember to share the recipes with some friends who I think will appreciate the simplicity of them.  I followed a link to another blogger's post about making these, and someone commented there that they added half a teaspoon of baking soda so that the cookies puffed up like regular cookies. 

For those who like cake or mufins rather than cookies, there is a (less healthy) idea similar to this.  You take a boxed cake mix and mix it with a 15 ounce can of pumpkin, then bake either as a cake or in muffin tins.  My sister heard about it at a weight watchers meeting a year or two ago, and tried it out with various types of cake mix.  I like it with chocolate and spice cake versions :-) 

Ooh - I just remembered that my mom gave me a can of vanilla frosting.  She has recently realized she has to avoid anything with sorbitol in it.  Frosting is NOT something I would normally buy for myself (can't even imagine why she had it) and I've been trying to figure out what to use it on. How good do you think it would taste to smear vanilla frosting on the pumpkin spice cookies???  Might have to scrounge for change and go buy a tin of pumpkin ...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
I will definitely have to try them with the baking soda! One big can of pumpkin will probably do me at least 3 batches in total.

Doing this challenge has been really good for me because it made me realize I have no idea what I am spending monthly on food.  We have a budget of 600 and work within that, but between buying for the pantry and food storage for winter and regular monthly groceries, I have no idea what is being spent where - I have a feeling most of it is going towards the pantry because we do eat fairly simply (and I have a very full pantry)

We are on target to save 100 this month, there isn't a lot of wiggle room to cut down because we did our big monthly trip at the beginning of the month. Next month I am going to keep track of "Consumed this month groceries" and what we take out of our pantry to get an actual idea of what we are eating - also I am keeping a food journal which is helping loads.

Then we will make a "Food Budget" and a "Pantry" budget so we can set aside some money for those big bulk expenses that aren't monthly but are a sizeable amount - bulk meat and so on. There are lots and lots of hunters in our town so I may try and barter some services for some extra game meat.

Thank you everyone for the challenge and feedback and the wonderful exchange of ideas we have going on!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
We are eating pretty simply at our house so far but it's been great!  When I went to the grocery store to get my eggs and bread, the couple in front of us bought $70 worth of garbage instant junky food that took up less than one paper bag.  There is something satisfying about buying bread and eggs and nothing else.  *Little House theme song*

This challenge has become something much greater for me than what I originally intended.  Not only am I simply skipping a week of shopping, I'm pretty much reintroducing myself to food.  Man, every one of us is lucky to have such a bounty of stuff to choose from, aren't we?  I have been a lazy and wasteful consumer of food.  It's the kitchen version of what we are all trying to do in the bigger picture.  I have a lot of leaks to plug!

Lunch today:  Turkey BLT (I have 2 sammies worth of the turkey bacon left over from last week, lettuce and tomato from my garden, two precious slices of rationed GF bread!)  Plus chips and hummus and cuke slices, also from the garden.

Dinner tonight:  Canned Spagetti sauce perked up with some green pepper and garden tomato and onions. I'll probably sneak some garden spinach in there too.  Later tonight when the toddler is asleep, I'll make that GF pizza with the leftover sauce and that'll be lunch and dinner tomorrow.

A word about how it's going with the toddler in this challenge:  She is a laid back kid and an adventurous eater.  She has a little bowl of yogurt in the morning before daycare, they feed her breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.  While she can manage cheese and yogurt, straight cows milk makes her stuffy and wheezy, so she drinks enriched soy milk which we have a few cases of in the pantry.  She eats pretty much whatever I make for dinner with a smile, how lucky am I?  She has turkey meatballs and an assortment of veggies in the freezer in case I'm making something that I know she won't like, but that's not often.  She is missing fresh fruit with dinner this week though. 

Cheers, you guys! 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2012, 01:00:59 PM »

This challenge has become something much greater for me than what I originally intended.  Not only am I simply skipping a week of shopping, I'm pretty much reintroducing myself to food.  Man, every one of us is lucky to have such a bounty of stuff to choose from, aren't we?  I have been a lazy and wasteful consumer of food.  It's the kitchen version of what we are all trying to do in the bigger picture.  I have a lot of leaks to plug!

This.  I was just thinking earlier today about how I have all this stuff in my fridge/freezer and cupboards that is pretty old, and I suddenly wondered - when did I stop cooking?  And maybe more important to figure out - how did I let that happen?  When did I stop making baked polenta topped with ratatouille?  Homemade bread?  My own pasta sauce?  Homemade pizza?  Potato/leek soup?  Cookies, pumpkin gingerbread, and chocolate zucchini cake?  (I suspect I've just given away the fact that I am not following a paleo/primal diet!)  It's crazy, because I actually *love* to cook!  It's a real pleasure to put on some good jazz, open up a nice bottle of wine, and set to it in the kitchen.  The process is almost as good as the eating, IMO!  I'm thinking that this challenge is going to kickstart a revolution in my kitchen :-) 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
I use to enjoy the process more then the eating:) Our creativity in the kitchen took a huge nose-dive when we moved into our current place with a dark, windowless kitchen and an entire set-up that was created by a single working guy. I don't feel inspired to cook or like spending time in my kitchen so things have been sliding. The advantage of renting has been that we are slowly identifying those things we really need when we do eventually buy a house.

It does feel good to be getting back into it, even if the set-up isn't ideal:)

KulshanGirl - I admire you being able to do this with a toddler and for raising such a great eater!

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Have any of you read "American Wasteland" by Jonathan Bloom? If not, please get a copy from your local library--it's about food waste in the United States. I finished reading it right before this thread got started, so it was perfect timing. It's definitely more than a little heartbreaking to learn about the crazy amount of waste that happens up and down the food chain (growing, distribution, retail, restaurants, and, of course, the home).

We went back to the grocery store for eggs, bread, and yogurt, but ended up leaving with some hanger steak as well. So we're $5.43 over our challenge allotment.  Oops.

I made a beef stir fry with peppers, eggplants, and onions for both of us to take in for lunch today. My office had bagels and cream cheese, so that's what I had for breakfast. There were also cookies up for grabs, so I'm thinking of downsizing dinner tonight to just  sauteed bok choy.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
swick, I take only partial credit for her being a good eater.  I think she is just naturally a foodie, and her daycare is also great with food variety.  So far my favorite things she's eaten:  School made curry fish stew - she was the only kid in the whole school who liked it; raw thin-sliced beets in rice vinegar; Karams garlic sauce; sweet chili rice chips ... plus she eats cooked kale, cooked spinach, you name it.  LOL!  She's not even 2.5 yet.  Even when she doesn't like something, if you give her a little dish of garlic sauce or ketchup, she'll dip it in there and eat it anyway. 

So, it's hard to believe that the finish line for my original challenge is in sight already.  Friday is my next scheduled shopping day already! I feel like I'm going to keep at it for a while.  Maybe a bit more than $10 to stretch it out this time, but let's keep this going!

I'm brewing up a meaner fire drill that I'll launch in another week or so.  I hate it already, I will probably be all alone for this one.  LOL!

mustache brony

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2012, 07:21:45 AM »
This is a great challenge. Last night I broke out the dried beans to experiment on (unsuccessful but edible). Usually I pick up a weeks worth of whatever is on sale when I go to the store (and add in some staples) but this forced me to go through some of my old odds and ends (and try something new).

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:17 AM »
Yesterday, we had oatmeal for breakfast, pasta alla carbonara for lunch (pasta, bacon, eggs, Parmesan), and bo ssam (pork shoulder roast, rice, kimchi, scallion-ginger sauce, and chili sauce) for dinner. Today, more oatmeal for breakfast, bo ssam leftovers for lunch, and ??? for dinner. My fiance is going out for a work event, so his dinner is covered; I'm going to a lecture with a reception afterwards, so perhaps I'll snack on hors d'oeuvres and have a kale salad for dinner.

My chicken liver mousse didn't turn out. There's a weird, bitter aftertaste, and the Internet says I should have soaked the livers in milk before I cooked them. :( Neither did my duck gizzards. I think I cooked them too long. Probably a grocery-shop-challenge week shouldn't have been the week I started experimenting with organ meats.

I am totally embarrassed by how much food we have left in the fridge, by the way. Haven't touched the bok choy, dumpling wrappers, kale, squashes, tomatoes, and potatoes and barely touched the eggs, eggplant, peppers.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
I had scrambled eggs, toast and yogurt yesterday for breakfast, leftover GF pizza for lunch, same for dinner.  Toddler had GF pizza, turkey meatballs and frozen brocolli for dinner.  This morning, I had oatmeal and yogurt, lunch today is the last of the pizza, and hopefully I can cobble something together for dinner with some of the usual suspects.  I do have a frozen burrito that is looking good and lazy for tonight, but I'm going to try to get rid of some other things.

My fridge is looking very empty this morning.  I actually kind of like it, I can SEE what needs to get eaten, and the space is inspiring.  :)

I made some really good cookies last night, another recipe with THREE ingredients.  1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg.  Stir all together, spoon onto cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.  WHO KNEW!?!?  We have a big tub of peanut butter from Costco that expires at the end of the month.  There will be more of those cookies for sure.

And people, I ran out of sriracha last week.  This is a true emergency, I can't wait to replace this.  How I love it! 

Use it up, wear it out...

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
We've (inadvertently) joined this challenge.

Much of our food is coming from the freezer, as we're in the middle of renovating our kitchen. Still our (pre-paid) CSA showed up last night, adding a welcome fresh vegetable supplement.

Yesterday -
Breakfast Oatmeal for 4 doctored with raisins, wheat germ, flax seeds, and a spoonful of brown sugar (no yogurt, we're out)
Lunch black-eyed peas & greens, homemade rye bread with butter, carrot sticks & leftover hummus
Dinner black bean, corn & kale enchiladas; spinach minestrone soup; edamame w/ soy sauce; a plain omlette for my daughter

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »

I made some really good cookies last night, another recipe with THREE ingredients.  1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg.  Stir all together, spoon onto cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.  WHO KNEW!?!?  We have a big tub of peanut butter from Costco that expires at the end of the month.  There will be more of those cookies for sure.

That is my favorite cookie recipe! Super easy and you can use any nut butter. It's also good if you throw some chocolate chips in it, too.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
The frozen Emergency Burrito of Lazytown will live to see another day!  I took out a bag of leftover mexican corn and bean soup and a couple of rice portions to thaw while home on lunch today.  We'll have soup over rice with some cheese on top, and some sliced almost-dead avocado, tomato and cuke with garlic sauce to dip it in.  I might pick the corn and beans out into a pile for the toddler to reduce waste, she pretty much just likes the beans and corn. 

I am going to give myself an A for not buying anything, but a C- for using up the things I meant to use up.  Tomorrow night, I need to make something or other with the wild rice, ugly potatos, and limp carrot.  Yes, that soup needs to just happen already.  Didn't eat any green beans or beets out of the freezer yet either. 

I found a highly rated recipe for GF cinnamon rolls - I have a half packet of yeast from my pizza that I halved the recipe for, so maybe I'll make a mini order of them and see how they are.  I have all of the rest of the ingredients on hand, except for 1/8 c cream cheese for the frosting, which I can do without.  :)  Yum!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
< OMG Bristles!!!  hehe.

Use it up, wear it out...

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
First attempt last night with the bread machine ($20, CL): success!

Bonus: using the recipe below, I cooked through a little more stuff in my pantry, including: rye flour, sauerkraut(!) and onion(!)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sauerkraut-onion-bread/detail.aspx

mustachecat

• Bristles
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
My dad was up in NYC for two days, and my mom sent him up with a SUITCASE OF FOOD FOR US. It was a small suitcase, but still: dried beans, dried mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, raw peanuts, chestnuts, yams, fresh basil and rosemary, and fresh peppers, all from their garden/farm.

I think besides a little protein, we aren't allowed to buy groceries for another week.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2012, 09:00:47 AM »
YaY! for Bristles and parents who send suitcases of food :)

We are still working on our baked oatmeal and I made a potato topped meat and veg pie using all freezer/pantry ingredients that have been around for a while this has done us for 3 days of lunch/dinner

I have also been having fun pulling out frosty unidentifiable ziplock baggies of stuff and figuring out how to use them. I always say "I don't have to lable them, I'll remember" umm...yeah...not so much.

We did manage to save some pears that were going to go and I made 7 jars of ginger pear butter. Hoping to have a stock of a few jarred things to give away as Christmas this year on top of my home made aromatherapy goodies. It felt really good to get them used up!

I so have to try those  peanut/nut butter cookies! I have a couple of jars of almond butter to use up....ohhh but opened I have a jar of tahini, that would be super yummy!

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
I thought I'd jump in on this since we have already overspent our grocery budget for the month and need to keep things to a minimum for the last two weeks. We don't have much weird food that's been pushed to the back of the cupboard, we just have lots and lots of food. Going to shoot for $30 for each of our next two shops. The kids go through about 3 gallons of organic milk a week, even with me rationing it out carefully, so can't get too much below the $30 threshold.

I'll post our menu plan for the week once we make it. Tonight we're having clam & onion and potato & rosemary pizzas. Can't wait!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »
Just wondering how everyone has been doing? I know must of the original folks have done their week but I think as we all discovered, this is a much bigger challenge:)

Still working our way through our Pantry, we have been having lots of soup the basics - stock-barley-sprouted bean mix-whatever veggies need to get used up. We have been varying the flavor, last nights was Asian inspired with miso - grated ginger - hot sauce.

This week I am going to be tackling and making a list of all the "Open" packages of food we have in various spots throughout the house. This is what I will be focusing on using up first...that and anything I find with close expiry dates.

Would love to hear how everyone is doing!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »
I am still all over this challenge.  I did go grocery shopping this week, but wow did I shop differently and spend less.  I am eating lots of instant refried beans, using up the open bags of GF flours (cinnamon rolls!  More pizza!) and really focusing on not wasting food - not a bite.  :)

Thanks to everyone for great ideas and inspiration! 

Here's what I bought this week:

Tub of yogurt
Carton of Kefir
2 loaves Udi bread, as it was still on sale
1 green pepper
Bulk curry
Apples from the Pumpkin Patch ($1/lb)
Can of olives
3 packages of my soy cheese, it was on sale and lasts quite a while.

And that's it! 

So far this week I've made cinnamon rolls and Bombay Black Eyed Peas with rice all from the pantry.  I'll make pizza tomorrow night and that'll be lunch and dinner for a couple of days.  This is the life!  :)

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »
I ended up spending more than what I was hoping at the grocery store this weekend, but I ended up meal planning through the rest of the month, maybe a little bit into November. We're trying out a bunch of new recipes since we've gone meatless at home and we decided to put the recipes ahead of the money. Through the end of the month we have on the menu:
  • Saffron Tagliatelle -our first time making pasta at home and it took forever but was super good
  • Bulgur, Arugula and Cannellini Salad
  • Black Pepper Tofu
  • Ancho Lentil Soup with Pineapple
  • Spicy Peanut & Eggplant Soup
  • Potato & Kale Enchiladas
  • Red Lentil & Cauliflower Curry
  • Spinach Linguini with Basil Cilantro Pesto
  • Cauliflower & Maitake Mushroom Stir Fry - subbing regular old mushrooms
  • White Bean & Poblano Chili
  • Anchovy Pasta
  • Kedgeree (Sp? My husband makes this, it is rice with curry powder, smoked fish, hard boiled eggs and peas. So good.)
  • Homemade Pizza X2

The spendy stuff we bought was some smoked trout for the kedgeree, 3 gallons of organic milk and some miso paste. Total spent was $126, but our pantry is really full. So I failed at the challenge, but feel like I am winning at food.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2012, 04:00:35 PM »
I think that all sounds great, caligulala! The challenge is I think meant to be flexible since all our situations are different, as long as we are all getting something out of it, I think it's great! Any chance you can share the recipe for the Ancho Lentil soup? sounds tasty!

I haven't done a shop since the challenge started, but we did get a slightly larger then planned organic veggie order. Besides juicing, I'm going to have to be pulling up some carrot recipes!

I actually feel like we have been eating better since starting this challenge because most of what we have in the pantry are those  basics that are generally nutritious but require some pre-planning.

Glad to hear everything is going well Kulshan Girl! Thanks again for the challenge:)

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »
The two cookbooks I am working with are Veganomicon and Plenty by Ottolenghi. The ancho lentil soup recipe is here if you want to internet it:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/lentil-soup-with-pineapple/

We made the chocolate raspberry cookies from Veganomicon earlier this week and they were super tasty. Especially once I turned them into non-vegan whoopie pies! It's a great cookbook; I think we'll buy a copy after our test drive from the library is over. We'll probably get a copy of Plenty as well.

carolinakaren

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
I made a couple of new recipes the other night from cookforgood.com website.  She posts on these forums sometimes, so some of you might know this website already.  Anyway, I made Chickpea triangles with mushroom gravy. The mushrooms were some I had leftover from our annual party this past weekend.  I didn't have tahini for theChickpea triangles, but used an egg in the recipe.  Your challenge is what made me think to check websites for ingredients that were on-hand.  Both recipes were completely new, so we got out of a food rut....but didn't have to go to the store for any ingredients either.  I will definitely make both of these again.  Dinner was very good that night!

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Wait, Linda Watson posts on here? I LOVE HER. I recommend Wildly Affordable Organic all over the place!

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
I rediscovered two two pantry recipes this week using up what I have: minestrone and crockpot pinto beans!

Minestrone is super flexible and pretty much any combo of beans and veggies work once you get it down.  This week I used chicken broth (from a box in the pantry- I usually make mine from leftover roasted chicken scraps) a big can of stewed tomatoes, garlic, onions, carrots, green cabbage, frozen peas, kidney beans, and Parmesan cheese.  In the past I've also added potatoes that were getting soft, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel spouts, white beans, pretty much anything works in this soup...

Beans in the crockpot: if you rinse the beans, then put them in with extra water in the crockpot on hi for 6-8 hours you don't have to soak overnight (that is the step I always forget).  I include crushed garlic, rough chopped onions, salt, pepper, and cumin.  Any extra water can be simply drained out, then wither mash them or use them whole.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »
Ooohh the crockpot pinto beans sounds awesome!

I also just happen to have a 25 pound sack sitting gloomily on the table, I will be making some tomorrow for sure!

My soup staple that I have been making a lot is chicken stock, chicken better then bullion, white miso, pot barley, sprouted bean mix, grated ginger, a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil and a squirt of siracha.  For some reason this is just pure comfort for us, actually I made some for dinner tonight - and I have been using up my flour supply in no-knead bread.

I'm still shopping from my pantry but struggling with the balance between using things up and panicking because it is winter. We just got word today that our one grocery store in town is going on strike - there are a lot of issues and it is going to be ugly and possibly long. Also with winter coming we have one road to the highway and the highway itself is often closed at times during the winter. I am just really glad I do happen to have a large stock of pantry to eat down. Living in a town where probably more then 95% of people live paycheque to paycheque (despite having decent to high paying jobs) and shop multiple times a week this is going to hit a lot of people very hard.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2012, 08:09:26 PM »
I'm still in on the pantry challenge!  Am determined not to shop until absolutely absolutely necessary.  At this rate, it could be a while.  I'll have to make bread, but with the bread machine, that's easy.  I still have milk, veggies, fruit juice, and all kinds of pantry staples.  I've realized I throw out WAY too much food, which means I'm throwing out money.  Unacceptable! 

I think there are a couple of factors.  First (duh!) I buy too much food.  I don't go grocery shopping on a schedule, I go when I'm running out of a few things, or when I'm feeling fed up with myself for my poor diet, therefore I get all excited about starting fresh with healthy eating and buy too much produce.  Also, because I live alone, it's hard to get a variety of produce and still be able to use it all up quickly. 

Secondly, I actually get fed elsewhere relatively frequently.  When we run the Alpha Course at the church, we have dinner together, and there are often leftovers that the church staff can eat for lunch.  Similarly, coffee hour on Sunday sometimes results in leftover cheese and crackers, veggies, fruit, etc.  I can't count on these things, but often I find I can supplement the lunch I bring from home.  The unpredictability is part of the problem. 

Third, I have a pretty busy schedule, so often I either need to make myself something quick before heading back out, or I'm getting home late and don't have the energy to cook much.  Both scenarios require either cooking large batches ahead of time so I just have to re-heat, or making something simple and light, like a sandwich or cereal. 

I think I'm going to try more large batch cooking, but instead of leaving the whole pot of soup in the fridge, freeze most of it in smaller portions, which I can take out one or two at a time.  That way if I end up having an unexpected meal elsewhere, I don't have a big pot of something going bad in the fridge!  For produce, I'm going to try to do more prepping right away, on the day of grocery shop - so if I buy celery, for example, saute most of it up with onions and throw it in the freezer in small portions that can be defrosted and added to other dishes later.  And I have some prepared foods to use up that I can add produce to.  For example, tonight I'm eating Indian "boil in bag" type foods.  Chana Masala and some kind of veggie curry.  The portions in the package are kind of small, plus they are more saucy than they need to be.  So I added some extra beans to the chana masala and added some grated carrot and diced green pepper to the veggie curry.  Big pot of rice and voila!  Meals for several days!  I have to say, it's pretty tasty too!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:07 AM »
We stretch out the Indian boil in a bag suppers too on busy nights, we can usually get 4 or 5 servings from them:)

We have made Sundays our "Batch cooking for the week days" and usually try and get a few staples out of the way like homemade crackers and bread and a main dish or two.

One thing you might want to try, PJ is when you are cooking your main dishes in the evening, make a bit extra and freeze in individual servings - this doesn't really take any more time if you have to cook for yourself anyway. Usually when I am making dinner I will make enough for both of us for dinner, hubby for lunch and then one or two portions for the freezer. It's good for days that I am gone, or we have something for dinner that doesn't scale up well and there are no leftovers for lunch.Also provides a fair bit of variety.

Just made Pumpkin brown butter pancakes this morning using using up the leftover pumpkin from my two ingredient cookie experiments. Life is good:)

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
I want to add that I also make very large portions when I cook soups and stews.  The best way I have found for storage (as there are only two of us) is to freeze individual servings in pint mason jars with reusable plastic lids (available for cheap on amazon and they last forever).  I usually make my soup a bit concentrated (extra spices, chicken, veggies, concentrated broth) then simply defrost in the fridge (or microwave) and heat on the stove with extra water and maybe a handful of frozen peas at the end.  At any given time I usually have a few options to heat up and eat (chicken soup, Greek lentil soup, etc.).  My trick for freezing in glass jars is to allow an inch of empty space at the top (for expansion), let them cool uncovered in the fridge first, then move to the freezer, then add the lids the next morning.  I hope this is helpful for someone. 
Also, if anyone has any suggestions for non-soup recipes that freeze well I'd be very interested! 
Take Care, Jennie

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »
I should mention that we use the same mason jars for our drinking glasses, so it really simplifies our kitchen organization!  I started by buying a 6 pack of wide mouth jars a few years ago and my husband always grabs them from thrift stores and garage sales when he sees them.  They don't all match perfectly, but the lids fit for all 'wide-mouth' jars and I like that some are new and some are older. 

swick: I'm so glad the crockpot beans tip was helpful.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
We ended up taking our puppy out to play in the first snowfall of the year, so I didn't get the beans on in time, will definitely be making tomorrow:)

We freeze all sorts of meals, whenever I make a tangine or a curry (usually in the crockpot) that is served with rice, I make extra of everything and make ready to go meals with rice on the bottom and the saucy stuff on top, take out the night before you are going to use and pop in the fridge, and then it goes in a glass microwavable container with hubby to work. Although I might skip all those extra steps and just start storing them in mason jars:)

I use this recipe for rice and it is awesome! http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/2011/07/yellow-jasmine-rice-154-recipe-026.html

She also has a great post on top ten freezer meals.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
jennie, I always end up with fairly concentrated soup too, and add water when it comes time to reheat it! 

I have to share a success story with you all ... 

I went with a neighbour to Costco this morning - specifically for the purpose of buying Halloween candy at a cheaper price than the local grocery/drug store had it.  While there, I also picked up cat litter and dog food, so I ended up spending about $45 more than I intended to.  BUT!  I did not buy any groceries!  Not the bread that I like (which reminds me that I should put some bread in the bread machine), not the delicious potato and garlic pierogies that I sampled, not cereal, not pistachios, not chips and salsa, or the 3 pack of veggie pizza.  As you can surely tell, I was tempted, repeatedly, but I did not give in!  Victory is sweet!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Way to Go PJ!!! Seriously....I don't think I would have that much willpower:)

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2012, 12:22:53 PM »
PJ- that is awesome!  If I go to Costco on a sample day (weekends) all the free snacks can usually be enough of a 'lunch' to get me through...
swick- thanks for that website link... that yellow rice looks delish and it looks like I will have lots of other recipes to explore on there are well!

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
Did our fruit and milk run for the week at Aldi this morning. $25 for:

3 gallons of conventional milk (can't bring myself to pay $10 a gallon for organic at the store close to us, don't want to bike 6 miles for the cheap organic)
Grapes
Pineapple
Lemons
Limes
Clementines
Frosted Mini Wheats
Saltines
Tortillas
Tortilla Chips

Our friend also brought over some extra food from her CSA so we have pears, apples, lettuce, pomegranates, arugula and cilantro. Looks like our meal plan will cover dinner for another 8 days. We may try planning 2 weeks at a time from now on!

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »
Well, I came in at exactly between my old budget and what I'm aiming for these days.  But I had to replace a lot of the toddler's staples.  Like, all of them.  She has been a trooper but she needs a little more variety than I do.  So, I spent $70 at the co-op, mostly on her stuff.  I also splurged on a Bota Box of wine as it was on sale 1/3 off and dangit, I want some red wine.  :) Do I get points for carrying it home? 

That said, I'm still in on this challenge.  I'll be making another crockpot of the hot cereal that I need to cook the sh*t out of to get it palatable, making koshari tomorrow night to eat for the week, using up the last of my garden tomatos, probably making another batch of those peanut butter cookies.  And continuing to tackle Mt. Instant Refritos. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
caligulala, sounds like you squeezed a lot out of that $25 ... good for you!  And wow, nice to have a friend who shares such lovely produce :-) 

KulshanGirl, considering that we're a couple of weeks into "this week's" challenge, I'd say you're doing pretty good.  Enjoy a glass of that wine while reflecting on your accomplishments, and keep working away on Mt. Refrito! 

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
The Hubs went to Aldi today and spent $103.  This brings our monthly total to $331. A few months ago (pre-MMM) we were spending $800/month. I'd say this is major improvement.

We were so low on food in the house (which is good!), that my 9 year old (who HATES going to the grocery store) went with his dad and sister so he could eat what they bought on the way home! I found this sort of funny. He was sick of oatmeal and didn't want scrambled eggs, which was almost all that was left in the house aside from frozen vegetables, dried beans/flours/rice, some lunchmeat (no bread), and condiments.

Not sure what he ate on the way home, but Sunday (grocery shop day) is like insanity for them. Today they consumed three bags of microwave popcorn (a splurge), a pint of blackberries, 1/4 gallon of milk, yogurt and cereal. And that was in addition to lunch and dinner. And they are both beanpoles.

I shudder at the thought of the teenage years and what it will do to my grocery budget.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:47 PM »
Well, it might be a while before I need to buy any food with my own money.  Had my birthday dinner with family this evening, and since I told them that I'm in a bit of a financial crunch, they mostly bought me food!  Alright, it's luxury food rather than basics (chocolate chips, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, sundried tomatoes, flavoured sea salt, fancy crackers, and balsamic vinegar, etc - all so yummy!)  That will help spice up some of the boring basics that I've got sitting in the cupboards.  PLUS, my mom and dad bought me some grocery store gift cards (so I can buy my Halloween pumpkin plus have money for milk and produce over the next month or two). 

I also brought home leftover spinach and cheese cannelloni, and chocolate birthday cake.  Oh yes, plus the chocolate covered ju jubes my brother bought for me (my ultimate stupid calorie splurge treat)  I will have to ration all this stuff out or I will end up 400 pounds.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
I love practical gifts like gift cards to places I shop. They rock.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
Yes, yes they do!  So do family members who actually listen to what you say :-) 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
Aww Happy birthday PJ! Tasty gifts of food are the best:) enjoy!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
Thanks swick! 

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 09:54:37 AM »
Heya!

So, I get a quarterly bonus at work, and I always do a Costco run when I get the bonus.  I went Sunday to do a little restocking.  I have to say, it was a MUCH different experience this time.  Know what I bought?  The staple things I learned were handy to have while on THIS challenge:  tomato sauce, garbanzo beans, olive oil ... etc.  I spent probably half of what I used to on completely healthy and versatile items, and my pantry makes me completely giddy.  I feel like I could go six months now with minimal shopping.  :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
That's Great KulshanGirl!

I have had the following reply sitting in my draft folder for about a week debating if I should be sharing it, but I think I will....

Hi Everyone!

Had some successes I'm pretty stoked about and wanted to share. I have a complete inventory of my cupboards, freezers and pantry!

I was given a three month trial to a website called Plan to Eat*. I was really skeptical because I have tried tons of recipe organizing software and they all seem bulky, time consuming and not that useful. Well after test driving it and playing around with it, I can definitely see it's uses!

Might not be for everyone, but for someone like me who loves to cook...is horrible at organizing blog recipes I want to make, and can only grocery shop one a month at the most, this is brilliant. I don't know how many items are in my pantry because I wasn't sure if I needed something so bought another "just in case" or was upset with myself because I forgot something I really did need.

The website is divided into three main categories: Recipes, Menu Planning, and Shopping List. The brilliant thing is how these categories interact.

You input your recipes either copy and past or there is a widget you can put on your search bar that you click and it will take the recipe from whatever site you are on. This works really well for the main recipe sites, it is hit and miss for blogs that have lots of text and pictures (Hubby was very impressed with what it could do, he says the coding would be a bear) but it usually gets the ingredients, a picture, the title and it saves the link to the recipe.

This works fine for me because I like going back the original recipe to read all the comments anyways. I love this because I have a very bad habit of looking up countless recipes and then keeping them all open in tabs because I want to make them but might not have the time or ingredients. Now that I have closed all those tabs, my computer (which I thought was dying) is working much faster:) and I have also saved lots on ink and paper!

There is a "recipe book" where al your recipes are and you can hover over it without clicking on it to list the ingredients, it also tells you have many ingredients are in the dish, and how many of the ingredients are already in your pantry.

Then there is the menu planning feature...the recipes are on one side divided by category and you can drag and drop them onto a calender to get your meal plan. Then the ingredients for any recipe you select are automatically put on your shopping list. This is accessible by mobile...but I don't have one so can't test out those features. The very coolest part of it, given this particular challenge, is there is a "Pantry" section...you have to enable it though by using the little gear on the shopping list section. It allows you to type in everything that you have in your pantry...even better it allows you to search for recipes based on your pantry ingredients! (can you tell I'm excited?) So I can do a pantry search, it lists recipes I have in order of least ingredients needed - then I add those recipes onto my planner and automatically get a shopping list for the ingredients I don't have.

The pantry also allows you to break it down into categories  I have tried to do this on a spreadsheet in the past one for the fridge, one for the pantry, one for the freezer...not only did it take forever, I wasn't good about updating when things got moved around or used. I'm hoping it will be easier and more fun to do online:)

There is also a bit of a community  around it so you can share recipes and such with other people and use their recipes as well.

*The site is run by a husband and wife team and the regular subscription rate is 4.95 a month or 49.00 (I think) for the year. I actually think the time, food,  and money it will save me is worth the price. However, they do have an affiliate program that gives you 20% of anyone you refer. The neat thing is they offer you a free month trial to see if it is something you really will use. Like I said, it probably won't be as perfect for many people and it does take a bit of time to set up. You can sign up for the free trial and the affiliate program right away, but you won't get paid unless you subscribe...so in the first month you can test it out and if you like it share and perhaps get your subscription paid for - and more people to share recipes with.

I'm only telling you all about this because I really do think it will make a difference in how I organize, plan and shop and thought it might be useful info for a few of you. If you are interested in getting an invite for a free month trial and don't mind if I get a bit of the money if you do end up subscribing, send me a message:)

*If the mods or anyone doesn't think this post is appropriate, I'll definitely remove it. I've just never come across a solution to all these issues I have around food prep and am a little excited.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
Forgot to share:

http://www.witandvinegar.com/2012/11/the-easiest-pot-of-beans-ever.html

For anyone else who has a great big bag of costco beans:) We  made these beans and will be using them as a base for most of our meals this week. The really cool thing about them is you don't have to soak them first!

It has been drilled into me that you have to soak your beans overnight before you can use then. These ones you don't and they are very tasty! This should end the usual "grab a can of canned beans because we forgot to start them the night before"  problem we have.

Still have to try the crockpot beans, didn't have a chance as we had a stew going with some old lamb shoulder chops I found in the bottom of the freezer

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!