Author Topic: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017  (Read 12043 times)

dca

• Stubble
Re: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
It's all hard--throwing words up on the blank page, revising;)

I'm at the revising stage of my novel now. The main story arc is there, I think, but I'm still creating several new arcs and refining things with this draft and re-typing everything along the way. I don't type at my computer every day; some days it's thinking, reading, researching, pacing, doodling in my notebook. All a part of writing!

Rebecca Solnit's tips for writing, with a nod to mustachianism (Tip #6):

http://lithub.com/how-to-be-a-writer-10-tips-from-rebecca-solnit/

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:26 PM »

I'm at the revising stage of my novel now. The main story arc is there, I think, but I'm still creating several new arcs and refining things with this draft and re-typing everything along the way. I don't type at my computer every day; some days it's thinking, reading, researching, pacing, doodling in my notebook. All a part of writing!

Thanks for sharing that article.  I really enjoyed reading that.

A status update on where I am at:

-I did some sketching on the new 8X8 dimension I have decided to go with.
-Since changing the number of pages down to 24 I have revised up to page 10 (can I still count this as my shitty first draft?).
-Since I can remember, I have rarely used colors when drawing (paint, marker, colored pencil, etc).  I am more of a black and white / pen and ink kind of gal.  I am not happy with the outcomes I am getting with trying to add color.  I am starting to research computer based options for this.  I am looking at the Bamboo Slate because for what little I know about it, I am really digging it and think it would give me everything I need (I hope my research confirms this).

I am looking forward to continuing to hear about milestones hit and goals reached from all of you!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #252 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »
After my vacation/time off from writing, I've been a bit slow to get back into it. I think I managed 2-3 sessions this week, and I'd like to do better. I'm trying to get myself back up to the 5-6 I was doing. I just have to buckle down and do it.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2017, 07:09:19 PM »
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and haven't written a word in almost two weeks. I need to get myself back on track.

How's everyone else coming along?

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
A boost of enthusiasm had me writing 2000 words today. The progress feels awesome. Now I need to make sure I keep it up. I'm a stone's throw away from finally hitting 75,000 total.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #255 on: June 14, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
A boost of enthusiasm had me writing 2000 words today. The progress feels awesome. Now I need to make sure I keep it up. I'm a stone's throw away from finally hitting 75,000 total.

Nice! Great job getting back on the horse :)

I'm still editing, fleshing out, rewriting. I don't know when or if I will ever be done!! But I'm putting one foot in front of the other and I guess if I keep doing that, I'll be ready to publish it someday. I'm aiming for the fall!

wordnerd

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: June 14, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »

Thanks for sharing this! (And best of luck with the novel; the idea very idea of a novel is daunting to me. :))

Stachey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
I read a really good book about writing by Lawrence Block.  A couple takeaways were:

-figure out a daily page count that works for you (his was five pages a day).  Write for however long it takes each day to make your page count (his was sometimes one hour, sometimes four).  The important part was not to increase your page count over time.  Find a number of pages that you can comfortably finish in a day and do that consistently, day in, day out.

-when you're doing your daily writing just concentrate on what you are writing about that day.  Don't start thinking about the whole project because you will get overwhelmed.  Just focus on what you want to accomplish in your five pages that day. 
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/writing-myself-a-happy-ending-hopefully/

If you open a Tangerine account with $100, you will get a $50 sign up bonus!  That can't be a bad thing.  Use Orange Key: 40425919S1

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #258 on: June 16, 2017, 02:07:48 AM »
Posting to follow and to be able to find and read this thread again soon. I've always wanted to write a book but never had much to say. When I met arebelspy and his wife a couple of years ago, we chatted a bit about her writing and I decided I should just go for it and write a romance novel. Even if I only ever write one, even if I only ever self-publish and never make a lot of money on it, at least I'd have done it. I've mostly procrastinated since then. Have written about two half-chapters and done most of an outline. Only actually got any writing done after months of not being able to decide what to call my main characters and finally deciding to just go with he/she. I can add names later. I did a short online course to find out how to use Gantt charts and used a book as my sample project for practice. Then I spent a few more months reading dozens of romance novels as research (aka procrastinating some more). It's time to get down to work. I actually updated my Gantt chart about a month ago, setting June as my start date. Totally forgot about the fact that I'd be on holiday (it was the kind of holiday where I rushed around meeting up with everyone - since I live abroad, I have to do that every year or so) and wouldn't have any time for writing. But I've been back for a week now, so no more excuses, need to start writing at least a few sentences every day!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and haven't written a word in almost two weeks. I need to get myself back on track.

Very poorly. Haven't written a word for two months.  But now the kids are out of school, I think I'll be able to start up again soon.  It got very hectic what with end of year concerts, fairs, and parties. I'll start again tomorrow morning if I get up early enough.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2017, 04:31:05 PM »

Very poorly. Haven't written a word for two months.  But now the kids are out of school, I think I'll be able to start up again soon.  It got very hectic what with end of year concerts, fairs, and parties. I'll start again tomorrow morning if I get up early enough.

You can do it! I managed to push myself back on track. I think I wrote 6 out of the last 7 days. My book is now at 82,000, and it's getting near the climax of the story, which should be very exciting. I'm hoping to finish the book in the next month or so. Then on to the hard part, editing and revising.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2017, 04:45:23 PM »

I'm going to spend some time tonight on it. Currently, 3k words left to go before initial editing. Then I'll have to do a gender switch and a 2nd edit. Finally, I'll assemble the monstrosity that is a CYOA. 6k words -> 150k words because of minor changes and additions and pathing weirdness.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2017, 08:10:50 PM »
I've crossed over 86,000 words. It has occurred to me that by the time my book finally gets done, it will likely be much longer than it "should" be, but I'm actually okay with that. I've written several books before, but I've never taken the next step and actually edited them or revised them. I figure once I get to that stage, there will actually be a long list of changes, and probably quite a lot of text that will get cut. I'm hoping that the editing process will bring my book back within a reasonable range. I'm hoping to finish this particular first draft within the next month or so. Then on to the hard part...

Missy B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
I can't believe I only just found this thread.  Thank you so much for starting it SeaKayEl!!

I would love to have a place to talk about my writing since I don't know anyone IRL who is a writer.
It's almost as alienating as being Mustachian.  I thought people would be more enthusiastic about my writing since it is clear that I am very passionate about it.  And I am interested in their hobbies and pastimes and avocations, so why can't they be interested in mine?   But friends and family don't get it at all.  They won't even read my work.  Does anyone else find that?

Oh, this is normal! And understandable, I think. Writing is such an internal process, it isn't like talking about photography or kayaking or gardening. I actually try not to talk about writing at all with f&f, unless its the business end of it. Having said that, I do feel very supported by my family in that they always ask how it's going and are excited when I get something published.

I don't expect them to want to read my work or that my work would necessarily be a fit/entertaining for them... there's no reason to expect that. Everyone has their own preferences and taste for genre and style and voice. Also, nothing turns you off faster on a story than the feeling that you *have* to read it.

The other thing is, having f&f being really interested in your writing might make you feel good, but it doesn't help you write. Not write faster, not write better. You can tell yourself a story about how the fact that the people close in don't really care about your writing is why you can't write, but that would be a lie.

What's really important to me is 1)  getting out of my own way so I can tell my stories 2) learning craft, always learning, so I can get better at telling stories. And while its nice to have other people who relate, no one else, even other writers, really fully understands what is going on in your head.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2017, 02:33:39 PM »
The group project of a novel is finally released :). Still working on my erotic CYOA. Looking like I'll have it out in about 3 weeks if all goes well.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: July 17, 2017, 03:57:48 PM »
I'm almost at 95,000 words, which is the longest book I've written to date. I'm right at the climax of the book, so I think if were to buckle down and write for several hours at a time (rather than < 30 min) I would probably have the book done in a week. My husband is going to be out of town this weekend, so that might provide the perfect opportunity to knock it out. Until then, I'll just keep trudging along.