Author Topic: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017  (Read 4213 times)

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
Re: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »
Madgeylou,

You seem like the best kind of weird!!  ;)

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
I just hit 35,000. I'm loving all the progress!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »
I just hit 35,000. I'm loving all the progress!

That's wicked great!!!

JoshuaSpodek

• Stubble
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
I can't help update on marketing my book. Amazon officially started shipping on the 16th.

Yes, I'm showing off. I expect all of you to too. As much as I like sharing my success so far, I'm also writing what would have motivated me when I was in the thick of writing. I like writing, but people recognizing what you put into your work and getting out of it what I wanted to give them is tremendously satisfying. I don't believe anyone doesn't want recognition for their work.

I should also mention that I've worked more diligently and longer hours over the last two months in marketing the book than in the six months I took writing it. Note marketing is two-directional communication, not just promotion. I'm learning a lot more from my readers than I did without marketing. I wish I had done more listening a long time ago but I was too afraid that I'd look like I was just promoting. But you have to share what you're doing for people to respond back.

Since then, 41 5-star reviews and 1 4-star, averaging to an official 5.0 stars. Here is a link to Amazon's page to read more and here is a screen shot:

I can't tell you the feeling of the public responding so positively. For example:

As a former non-commissioned officer with the US Marines in Iraq, I have read a lot of books on leadership to enhance my own abilities. This is by far the best book I have read on the topic.

and

This is a very beautiful book. The author has drawn from a wide variety of fields and is able to distil a great deal of wisdom and knowledge into simple and powerful exercises.

and

I was actually moved by Joshua Spodek’s book.

among many others.

The biggest positive feeling came from seeing my book on the shelves at the Union Square (Manhattan) Barnes and Noble, a global flagship store, then to use the techniques in the book to lead the staff to put the book on the display table, including some on the main floor.

Besides the joy in sharing and, I hope, not looking too much like showing off, I hope this helps motivate others to realize their dreams in writing.

jooniperberries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2017, 12:34:26 PM »
JoshuaSpodek, you should absolutely feel safe here sharing your success, yes! I can hear the celebration and sharing (versus showing off) in your voice :)

Congrats, again, on succeeding in completing your writing, putting your work out there, staying committed through the marketing piece, and on the commercial success! It must feel truly amazing to have your book displayed in amongst other well-known ones, and in such a major shop to boot.

I've had wonderful success too, but will provide the caveat that this has been with some projects and not others. Thus, I'm not entirely comfortable perpetuating an idea of "formula applied = commercial recognition." Some amazing books see this; some amazing books well marketed do not.

I encourage all of us to go ahead and feel all the feels in relation to our work—whether that be success in terms of income, success in terms of recognition, success in terms of achieving one's goal of so many words, success in terms of a sense of satisfying completion, success in terms of helping one person experience joy, connection, healing, thrill, or life change...as well as discouragement, frustration, humiliation, shame, embarrassment, disappointment, etc. It's all fair, all valid, all normal, all healthy. Good stuff.

Writing and putting our truest stuff out there is big soul work, it changes us. Even without the shiny stats for any one given project, there is so much goodness in completing our work (for our own souls) and offering it out (in case it gifts additional souls).

Every day I am so grateful for countless people who write—commercial accolades or no commercial accolades—because so much has helped me in profound ways.

dca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
JoshuaSpodek, you should absolutely feel safe here sharing your success, yes! I can hear the celebration and sharing (versus showing off) in your voice :)

Congrats, again, on succeeding in completing your writing, putting your work out there, staying committed through the marketing piece, and on the commercial success! It must feel truly amazing to have your book displayed in amongst other well-known ones, and in such a major shop to boot.

I've had wonderful success too, but will provide the caveat that this has been with some projects and not others. Thus, I'm not entirely comfortable perpetuating an idea of "formula applied = commercial recognition." Some amazing books see this; some amazing books well marketed do not.

I encourage all of us to go ahead and feel all the feels in relation to our work—whether that be success in terms of income, success in terms of recognition, success in terms of achieving one's goal of so many words, success in terms of a sense of satisfying completion, success in terms of helping one person experience joy, connection, healing, thrill, or life change...as well as discouragement, frustration, humiliation, shame, embarrassment, disappointment, etc. It's all fair, all valid, all normal, all healthy. Good stuff.

Writing and putting our truest stuff out there is big soul work, it changes us. Even without the shiny stats for any one given project, there is so much goodness in completing our work (for our own souls) and offering it out (in case it gifts additional souls).

Every day I am so grateful for countless people who write—commercial accolades or no commercial accolades—because so much has helped me in profound ways.

+1. Couldn't agree more. Thanks for this.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »
Congrats JoshuaSpodek!

I haven't worked as much as I would like re-writing my narrative this week, but last week I worked on it more than I planned--so I came out even....?

I plan on doing 5mins a day all this week and hopefully I will be close to a second draft ;)
(leaving the shitty first draft in the dust!)

How's everyone else doing??

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
So-so, SeaKayEl. Only wrote 12 days in February. I have the usual excuses-- went on vacation, husband was sick, etc. but I think that the pieces will fall into place now that I have "no more starting things" and "no Internet after 9pm" planned for Lent.  As long as I get up before 6am I can find the time to write.

Great going, Joshua!  Keep the reports of success coming... it is inspiring to everyone to see that publication can happen to even unto a lowly MMM member!

dca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
Congrats, Joshua!

And way to go, SeaKayEl, on your progress.

I've been trying to make room in my life once again for the writing, which took about a year and a half hiatus when I became a new mother. One challenge is that some of my best writing hours used to be at night; I get tired in the evenings but get a burst of energy right around 10:30pm. I would then sometimes read and write until 2-3am if I didn't have to get up for work the next day. Now, with a crazy toddler at home, we never get to sleep in past 6:30 or 7:30am. I don't function well on 3-4 hours of sleep, so I've been trying to go to bed earlier and become more of a morning writer. It's hard because this goes against my natural rhythms.

What about you guys, are there times in the day that work better for your writing?

dca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »
... Only wrote 12 days in February. ...

12 days is good! My goal is 4 days a week, or about 16 days a month. I just know I'm not going to write during the long stressful work days + commute + wrestling a toddler at home. On the weekends, my husband's been taking the babe out for a walk in the mornings and then napping with him after lunch so that I can have some writing time.

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
I just hit 40,000 words. I'm starting to get those niggling voices that tell me that I should have done more of X, or that Y is really not developing enough. I'm trying very had to tamp down on them so that I can just keep writing. Once the first draft is done, the rest can be fixed in editing, right?

jooniperberries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »
Once the first draft is done, the rest can be fixed in editing, right?

Yep! Dozens and dozens and dozens of rounds/opportunities remain :)       Keep plunking those words down for now!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2017, 08:04:23 PM »
Nice job, Izybat!
I wrote 800 words tonight. Calling it a win. :) One chunk at a time...
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
Great job, Orvell and Izybat!

Yesterday I went to a meetup here in Boulder where about 20 writers get together at 9 am and everyone takes a minute to lay out their goals for the morning. Then we all write until 11:30 when we circle back up to talk about what we got done. It was fantastico! I wrote almost 3,000 words.

I also booked myself a vacation to Mexico -- a week in Frida Kahlo's neighborhood in Mexico City and a week in San Miguel de Allende where I went last May and looooooved. Last year I had to work while I was in Mexico and still got a lot of writing done. This year I'm using vacation time so I won't have to work, and am hoping to get even more writing done. My first draft should be done long before then, so I will probably be editing and rewriting by that time. Exciting!
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

jooniperberries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
The Boulder event, in Vancouver (as perhaps elsewhere) it was called Just Write, and listed on Meetup. There were so many each week! Happy for you, madgeylou, to have had such a great go at yours :)

I remember you reporting on your SMdA last year. You were SO HAPPY. It was one very rare trips I've ever heard of on the forum that I thought I might like to take one day!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Hey everyone!

Hope everyone'e writing is going great....I haven't made the progress I would have liked.  I have about a 1/3 of the book re-writen and feel stuck on the rest.  So I think I am going to go back to the drawing board (literally) and start illustrating on the pages I do have ready and come back to the rest of the re-write later.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
I'm currently reading and listening to old Shetland folk tales and calling it research. The dialect is incredible. Listen to this tale about a sea monster (starting at 1:50): https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLD0EB1C1D5350B738&v=3v-Mg2dyLbY
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
The Boulder event, in Vancouver (as perhaps elsewhere) it was called Just Write, and listed on Meetup. There were so many each week! Happy for you, madgeylou, to have had such a great go at yours :)

Yes! That's the one! I'm on the waitlist for next week but I might just show up and hope for the best :D

I remember you reporting on your SMdA last year. You were SO HAPPY. It was one very rare trips I've ever heard of on the forum that I thought I might like to take one day!

Yes, it's sooooo nice there. I'm excited to be there and not have to work! I'm also excited to see a bit of Mexico City, especially Frida Kahlo's house. Gosh I love her!
Be Less Crazy, my blog

My MMM journal

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #168 on: March 14, 2017, 05:35:17 PM »
Well, I just crossed the 45,000 mark for my current book. I realized on Saturday that my writing was starting to feel a bit stale, so I bought three books last weekend and plan to read them for inspiration. I've been reading a lot of non-fiction books lately, and I think I just need to get a bit of a reminder about other books in my chosen genre.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:12 PM »
Well, I just crossed the 45,000 mark for my current book. I realized on Saturday that my writing was starting to feel a bit stale, so I bought three books last weekend and plan to read them for inspiration. I've been reading a lot of non-fiction books lately, and I think I just need to get a bit of a reminder about other books in my chosen genre.

Congrats!!  That's great!  I may have to steal your idea and spend some time in the children's section at the library for a little inspiration.

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
For some reason I'm struggling this week when I've been doing so well all year so far. I'm not sure if it's a lack of motivation, a "saggy middle" or some combination of the blizzard and being annoyed at my job that's making it trickier to get in the words that I've been hitting to date. Must keep pushing. If I stop for any length of time, that's my downfall. That's when it becomes easier to not go back. Gotta keep going.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
KEEP GOING Izybat!!!

Don't stop, it's a trap!

jooniperberries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »
For some reason I'm struggling this week when I've been doing so well all year so far.

Would some different styles help re-energize your flow? e.g., Poetry, song, random dialogue, writing exercises, etc? Or tapping into another aspect of your being entirely, via dance, playing (vs listening to) instrumental music, conversation or mime with strangers, theatre games?

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Thanks all, for your encouragement. Tonight felt much better and easier than the last few nights. Knocked out 1000 words in half an hour. That's what I'm talking about.

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »
Annoying setback today. I opened my book and started to write, and my computer crashed (this happens like once a month). Unfortunately, I had Scrivener open, and was typing. My system rebooted and lost the whole scene I was working on. 3,000 words, gone. Apparently it hadn't backed up in a while either, so I can't seem to recover them. Sigh. That sets me back like a week at least.

jooniperberries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2017, 03:05:54 AM »
Oh, shit, Izybat!!! Ack!! I know well how much that SUCKS. There's the time and energy put in, but moreso (to me anyway) the wording, the flow, the phrasings. Feels like those cannot be captured again, yes? Dammit. So sorry :(

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »
Annoying setback today. I opened my book and started to write, and my computer crashed (this happens like once a month). Unfortunately, I had Scrivener open, and was typing. My system rebooted and lost the whole scene I was working on. 3,000 words, gone. Apparently it hadn't backed up in a while either, so I can't seem to recover them. Sigh. That sets me back like a week at least.

What a BUMMER!  :(

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »
Oh nooooo Izybat! I hope you are able to walk it back in there easily since you wrote it once already.

I'm off to another Just Write meetup this morning, wish me luck!
Be Less Crazy, my blog

My MMM journal

Izybat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
Well, after much work (and a horrible cold keeping me permanently exhausted), I have once again  reached 45,000 words. This time, I have attempted to guarantee that my work is not only saved, but backed up. No need to go through that again.