Author Topic: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017  (Read 15108 times)

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
Re: Finish (or start) Writing Your Book 2017
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
I'm not sure why it is so easy for me to write paragraphs and paragraphs on a forum but it kills me to write three sentences otherwise.

In those first few minutes, it is so much lonelier in the latter space!

(But, after the first fifteen or so, when we sink into that glorious flow, writing solo is the least lonely space I ever experience.)

Well, at least I started a new chain today.  But I think I have to follow your lead, Joon, and make more space in my life, somehow.  There is not enough me to go round!

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2017, 06:49:03 AM »
I'm in! I'm about half way through writing a book on licensing music online. But I made most of that progress back in December. Time to buckle down and finish the book!
Learn how I make passive income selling music online at www.stockmusicmusician.com

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
Welcome, Ox05!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2017, 09:05:09 PM »
I'm in! I'm about half way through writing a book on licensing music online. But I made most of that progress back in December. Time to buckle down and finish the book!

Sounds great Ox05...welcome to the club!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
Edging terrifyingly close...

So far I have:
Declined all invitations for additional work this month.
Processed five months worth of backlogged paperwork.
Completed all my school work.
Practiced multiple songs.
Washed all my dishes.
Completed tax return prep as far as is possible in early February.
Renewed domains for the year.

There is literally only one competing file left between me and the writing step I am so diligently putting off.
One.

Yikes.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »
You can do it Joon!! Just join me in five minutes of writing!

My latest chain is now 5 days long... and now, since it's Saturday, I'm going to try a second rep!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »
Okay! I am setting my timer now for 5 minutes of my 'next step' (submitting book to professional reviewer)...

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Poundwise!!!!

I set the timer for 5, and started.
I chose ONE place to submit to.
After 5, I did another 5.
Then another 5.
At which point the submission was complete!!

THANK YOU!!!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »

Thank you, Poundwise!!!!

Then another 5.

THANK YOU!!!

This is awesome!!! Way to kill it Joon!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2017, 05:07:24 PM »
Thank you, SeaKayEl!!

Thank goodness (and you) for this thread. I was so overwhelmed and frightened. When I went to start typing in the submission page, my fingers started trembling! Then my whole body. I kept going (obviously). But I was sure in wonder at the incredible response of angst my body has to so many of the steps along the way...

Now I feel like dancing around. So I will :)

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
Thank you, SeaKayEl!!

Thank goodness (and you) for this thread. I was so overwhelmed and frightened. When I went to start typing in the submission page, my fingers started trembling! Then my whole body. I kept going (obviously). But I was sure in wonder at the incredible response of angst my body has to so many of the steps along the way...

Now I feel like dancing around. So I will :)

**Happy Dance**

Most things that are worthwhile aren't easy!

You guys are definitely a motivator to keep going and checking off my milestones.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
You guys are BEASTS! :DD
Nice!!

I'm currently trying to break up my days by type of output. Some days are art, some days are writing. Doing writing every day currently seems... untenable. :/
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
You guys are BEASTS! :DD
Nice!!

I'm currently trying to break up my days by type of output. Some days are art, some days are writing. Doing writing every day currently seems... untenable. :/

The more time goes by, the more I realize that just being consistent is a huge milestone alone.

And to be honest....regardless if I hit my end goal, I will be SO MUCH FURTHER along then I would be without the motivation and accountability from this thread.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »
I just hit 25,000 words. I'm still going strong with my 30 minutes a day 6 days a week streak.

I just went to my second writers group meeting. To be honest, it was a little overwhelming to me, because today's topic was about self-promotion of the author once you're published. It was good information to know, but as I'm no where near published yet, it was a bit intimidating. Either way, the motivation is still strong, and I'm going to ride it for as long as I can keep it up.

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »

Thank you, Poundwise!!!!

Then another 5.

THANK YOU!!!

Hey hey hey!  Great job, Joon!!! I'm so proud of you-- and you should be proud of yourself!!

And Izybat, 25,000 words-- that is some accomplishment!!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
I decided to change the narrative on the next few pages of my story.  I'm finding it harder than the first time I wrote it, but I think because I am making sure the narrative will work with the illustrations I have in mind (the first time I wrote it I only vaguely thought about the illustrations).

Therefore, I haven't drawn the illustration I have marked for week 2 of Feb yet.  I will be taking a page out of Poundwise's page book and work on this 5 mins. a day until I finish the narrative re-write.

Then I'll get back on the illustrations and work toward catching up with them.

I hope everyone is killing it for the start of this week!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
I decided to change the narrative on the next few pages of my story.  I'm finding it harder than the first time I wrote it...

I find this to be the case across the board for me. i.e., The first go is always the easiest. Every revision is progressively more challenging to pull off.

Go, SeaKayEl!

Nick_Miller

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
There are other Mustachian authors?? I never knew this thread existed!

I am a published author working on a sequel to be published later this year. I will have to scan all the posts here in the next few days to see what everyone else is working on. I'm guessing privacy concerns will force most of us to be somewhat secretive about our projects, which kind of sucks.

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
I'm in. I'm writing a cook book geared towards strength/performance athletes. I had originally thought I would finish it up last year, but it turned out a decent amount of material didn't fit with the actual book I was writing, thus a second book in the works. Cookbook will be completed first, and done this year. The other one, we'll see how I feel about it once I get a few more chapters written.

Anyone know a good resource for formatting a book? I could do it myself, but I'd rather pay $500, work an extra hour consulting, and enjoy my life a lot more than spend days formatting this damn thing.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
Anyone know a good resource for formatting a book? I could do it myself, but I'd rather pay $500, work an extra hour consulting, and enjoy my life a lot more than spend days formatting this damn thing.

ha, yep!

After one major project, I vowed "never again". I promised myself that if I did the insane work again of developing an entire book, I would pay for certain rounds of proofreading, as well as for layout. I have kept that promise to myself.

I went through Amazon's CreateSpace for various tasks in the last project. I paid that company for layout, and am largely happy with it. I did have to pushpushpush for a readable font, it was critical to wait for a physical proof of each one before proceeding further, and there were a couple of small glitches that I missed (e.g. the layout hyphenated a domain url, which made it incorrect). But, if I do more projects, I will definitely pay for layout again and I would happily use CreateSpace.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
There are other Mustachian authors??

So many! Only a handful are on this thread, but yeah, lots!

I'm guessing privacy concerns will force most of us to be somewhat secretive about our projects, which kind of sucks.

My latest is linked to in my sig :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Ug. I'm dropping in motivation, guys.
I need to continue to plug away on the Hard Long Story that is officially out of the glorious and worry-free first 10K words and into the 'oh god what am I doing' zone.
AKA everything is hard, and first drafts are always so, so rough.
I also need to continue to edit and write new flash and short stories.
(While simultaneously working on several art projects)

How do you guys motivate yourself when things slip into the 'less fun' part of the cycle? And yes, I know that you have to put in the time, that all first drafts suck, and that what is on the page never matches what is in your head.
I'm more looking for actionable suggestions-- do you have a routine that works for you? A reward for yourself for effort put in?-- rather than the usual "just do it" advice. :)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2017, 12:29:11 PM »
I've self-published one novel and am getting ready to release the second on the twenty-first.  However, I have to rework a major plot point, but that's nearly done.  The first book hasn't sold that much, but I've learned a ton about self-publishing.
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: Riders On The Storm

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
How do you guys motivate yourself when things slip into the 'less fun' part of the cycle? And yes, I know that you have to put in the time, that all first drafts suck, and that what is on the page never matches what is in your head.
I'm more looking for actionable suggestions-- do you have a routine that works for you? A reward for yourself for effort put in?-- rather than the usual "just do it" advice. :)

I would never say "just do it", because much of it is too damn hard to "just do", lol.

My biggest tricks to keep going through the rough times:

1. Change of scenery. If I just couldn't do another word/page at home, it was time to try a new location. A coffee shop, a cowork station, the library. Coffee shop worked best for me, because there was the right level of stimulation/sound/interaction with privacy. It also had other humans who appeared to have the same need, and I made them into my imaginary writing buddies, my pacers.

2. Warm bodies. See above. Other places I found warm, silent, writing bodies were at Just Write meetups, Writing Out Loud sessions, etc. Sitting near other people committed to silent focus does wonders for me. I want to star the Just Write meetups x1000. If there's not one near you, you can make your own!

3. Rewards. I set incentives, things to look forward to. "Every 1000 words, I get to have a hot drink." 'After five hours of work, I get a hot chocolate with whipping cream." Or a swim, or time in a hot tub, or to watch Netflix. Etc.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
:3 Thanks, Joon!

ETA: Sorry if I was a bit peremptorily grumpy about potential advice. XD I went to a drawing class/session the other day and when I asked for assistance making the transition from being a half-way decent artist who mostly uses sketches and lines... to a painter (aka transitioning from lines to shapes as the main method of conveying a figure) I was pretty much told, "yup sure is hard."
>__>
Thanks, bro.
Yeah. I got that part.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:52:42 PM by Orvell »

Nick_Miller

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
I need to continue to plug away on the Hard Long Story that is officially out of the glorious and worry-free first 10K words and into the 'oh god what am I doing' zone.
AKA everything is hard, and first drafts are always so, so rough.
I also need to continue to edit and write new flash and short stories.
(While simultaneously working on several art projects)

One tool I've used to push ahead is the writing mini-marathon. Sometimes I'll do it for 4 hours, or maybe even 8 hours in a row. I check my word-count each hour. I post my hourly numbers on a sticky note, or if I need more motivation, on the writing forum I frequent. I can frequently crank out 500-600 words per hour, so an 8-hour marathon can result in almost 5,000 word, which is the equivalent to chapter, give or take. Yes it will need polishing and editing, but the groundwork is set.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
That's a good idea, Nick. I often do "sprints" with friends (setting a timer for 20 minutes, pomodoro style, and having informal competitions followed by a break).
That sounds like a more meditative/solitary way of doing it. :)

I like your post-it idea, too.
For me, data collection can be a motivator!

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »

ha, yep!

After one major project, I vowed "never again". I promised myself that if I did the insane work again of developing an entire book, I would pay for certain rounds of proofreading, as well as for layout. I have kept that promise to myself.

I went through Amazon's CreateSpace for various tasks in the last project. I paid that company for layout, and am largely happy with it. I did have to pushpushpush for a readable font, it was critical to wait for a physical proof of each one before proceeding further, and there were a couple of small glitches that I missed (e.g. the layout hyphenated a domain url, which made it incorrect). But, if I do more projects, I will definitely pay for layout again and I would happily use CreateSpace.

Awesome, thank you so much!

Nick_Miller

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
That's a good idea, Nick. I often do "sprints" with friends (setting a timer for 20 minutes, pomodoro style, and having informal competitions followed by a break).

I'm a fellow data nerd! I have dozens of spreadsheet tabs as I grind forward with my sequel because there are so many characters and settings and such.

And my problem with sprints is that I'm just getting warmed up when they end! I need a few hours at a time to get into the flow.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »

I'm a fellow data nerd! I have dozens of spreadsheet tabs as I grind forward with my sequel because there are so many characters and settings and such.

And my problem with sprints is that I'm just getting warmed up when they end! I need a few hours at a time to get into the flow.
It's true! :) But sprints are good for when I'm having attention problems that a marathon couldn't solve.

I have to admit, getting into Flow has been hard for me post adulthood. :/
I know the answer is to systematically remove distractions, but Actually Doing It is super duper hard. Both in terms of how many distractions there are, and how good they feel.
:/

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Two years ago I woke up in the back of a campervan in the middle of nowhere in Iceland, and couldn't get back to sleep until I'd written down the scene I had in my head. Since then, I've added almost 50 000 words, but it is still just a start. Part of the problem is that I've written most of it in English, which is my second language. Also, I've yet to decide the genre or age group I'm writing for. I know the stories I want to tell, but there are so many of them, and they can be adjusted to all age groups. I started out with adult fantasy romance, since that is what I read, but when I told the stories to my kids, they really loved them, insisted that their friends got to hear them too, etc. Since I've discovered I'm shit at writing sex scenes, changing the stories to YA would probably be an improvement. I've also considered illustrated books, but would need someone else to do the art.

To make it even more convoluted, Norway has two written languages, and although everyone is able to read both, one would give a larger mass market, while the other one probably caters to an audience that is more interested in my type of stories.

My goal for this year is to get more text written down, in any language, get some more flesh on the bones of the major characters, and straighten out the story lines.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
All fabulous, gaja!!! I know the way you opened this post certainly drew me in :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
All fabulous, gaja!!! I know the way you opened this post certainly drew me in :)
:)) Same!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
BOOM! 30,000 words. Still going strong.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
BOOM! 30,000 words. Still going strong.
Great job!! :D

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
I got my first rejection letter for a short story!
It's begunnnn. 8D

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »
Orvell, YOU WIN!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome going, and congrats :))

Izybat: Yeah, boom!

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:47 PM »
Lots of new "faces" and inspiration!

Welcome everyone.

I +1 gaja's first line drawing me in!

Izybat: **fist pound**

Orvell--Rejection letters mean you are putting yourself and your work out there.  Way to be courageous!

dca

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »

Break it down until the parts of the problem are approachable. Over the years, I've discovered these things work for me:

1. When I don't know what goes next, I do a lot of off-the-page writing, usually by hand. I try to psychoanalyze the characters and their motivations and what isn't working on the page right now. I write about characters' relationships to one another, how they feel, little descriptions and reflections. I might write mini scenes, which may or may not make it into the book. Sometimes I write about my own feelings toward the process, what I find frustrating and what I may be afraid to write and why. The act of writing helps me keep focus on the world of the novel, and it's all low-stakes off-the-page stuff, so I don't have to sweat it.

2. Try to bounce characters off of one another; create tension and conflict. The hardest part of fiction for me is to come up with the right dramatic actions that reveal what's going on. Riffing and descriptions are relatively easy. The series of dramatic actions over all the chapters is the narrative arc; there may be several arcs for a big complicated novel.

3. That said, I must allow my characters a degree of freedom; they're not just pool balls I can bounce off of one another in a deterministic fashion. I'm very bad at pool. Characters must be allowed to be as surprising and contradictory as the people I know, or else they're not very interesting.

4. If a word, a sustained metaphor, character, scene, chapter, or storyline isn't carrying its weight, I will get rid of it. Sometimes it's painful, and I have to put the work away for a long time to see what isn't working. Pruning is part of the work of writing. As is revising. Sometimes I have to re-write a section a few times to get the storyline right before going on.

5. I've stopped using punctuation; sentences are fluid to me, and I like to be free to move parts of them around. I rely on line breaks and my ear to sort things out. After I'm completely done with, say, a 20 page story, it takes me about an hour to put in all the punctuation because I can hear in my head how the sentences should go. Right now, my novel is hundreds of pages with very little punctuation, but it's manageable.

6. If I can't think of the right word or phrase, I will write a string of words or phrases approximating what I'm trying to find, and this process sometimes leads me to the right words. Sometimes I never find the right words.

7. I use Freedom to turn off the internet. In the past, I've also unplugged the modem.

8. I'm a homebody writer. I like to pace back and forth, take books off my shelves and read a few pages, and say certain lines aloud. I find music and other people talking distracting. My day job gives me more than enough interaction with others. During a period I wasn't working, I took my laptop to the public library to write for a while each day: human faces, but in a quiet environment.

9. Try to improve my understanding of the medium. I'm constantly looking up words, even words I know, to further understand their shades. I also read in my genre and have a sense of the big books that come out every year: it's incredibly stimulating to see what other people can do, and reading is the only way to develop a sense of how narrative works.

10. I rarely get stuck anymore, but I sometimes do get thoroughly sick of working on a particular section. Sometimes I have to say good enough for now and move on to another section of the book.

dca

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »
It's great to meet everyone here: three cheers for all the progress made!

I've been writing for a long time but have also taken several years' breaks to attend to other parts of my life. I'm trying to make more space in my life for the writing right now. My goal is to write for at least one hour four days a week. I hope to finish my book (started a long long time ago) in 2 years. I write fiction.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:00 PM »
Welcome, dca :)     What a wonderful opening post, too!

Poundwise

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:33 AM »
Thank you so much for the writing tips, dca! They will be so useful to me because I have gotten stuck again.

And Orvell,  I'm sorry that you got the rejection, but you are still amazing to have gotten to the point where you're at!!

Nick_Miller

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
Only because I cannot do this in my "real life," I am tempted to do a little bragging on myself...it's hard when you are proud of yourself, but 1) most writers you know sell virtually nothing so you feel like you can't share news of your success with them, 2) most of your friends and family haven't read your book, so although they might be proud of you, they really don't care that much.

The news: My novel has sold over 25,000 copies now, and it looks to have a long tail. Sales for Sept - Jan were super consistent. The publisher has told me they will give me a higher royalty rate for the sequel (about half finished). I get SO frustrated because I wish I had more time to devote to it. I'm not the type who can work for a half hour during lunch. I get nothing done that way. I need windows of at least 2 hours to even marginally effective.

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
That is truly wonderful, of course, Nick_Miller!!

Yes, it is important to have a place to share our successes :)

Great job!!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
The news: My novel has sold over 25,000 copies now, and it looks to have a long tail.

Congrats! That's awesome.

SeaKayEl

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Nick_Miller,

That is wicked awesome!!!

I would say sharing your successes is encouraged here!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »
Nick, that's baller! Congrats. 8D

Today: I wrote a few words today--noodling an idea for a short story involving universal translation devices that are rejected by a certain percentage of the population-- edited an old flash fiction piece, and sent that one off into the submission hole too.
\o/
Slow and steady.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
I am in love with everyone on this thread. Is that weird? So be it :)

I self-published a very short book (~15,000) a few years ago and it got a decent response -- not enough to retire on, no, but several thousand folks who have read and resonated with my work which feels kind of amazing. Even now, four years later, I get the odd email from someone who's read it and found it helpful and funny and inspiring and it always makes my day.

I've been working on the follow-up off and on almost ever since and I'm sooooo close to having the first draft done, I can smell but not yet taste it. I've got about 50,000 words, I'm aiming for between 60,000 and 70,000. And I'm super excited about this book! The idea hasn't let me alone for the last four years and I'm grateful that I'm in a space now where I'm physically and mentally healthy enough to work on it.

One practice I have engaged in that is super helpful to me is working with a writing coach. A few times a year, he runs a bootcamp in which you are expected to send him 1,000 words a day or ... well, I'm not sure what happens if you don't, because I always do, even through work travel and stomach bugs and simultaneous work travel + stomach bugs.

So apparently the thing that gets me to write is having someone else who cares if I write. I will post my progress here, okay? And follow along with all your brave and intrepid progress, too.

Today I met with my coach about what I produced in bootcamp at the beginning of February. I also did some rejiggering of my book map/outline based on his feedback. He is always encouraging me to be messier, at least in my first draft, because he says that the first draft is for the writer to get to the place where they feel like they got it all out. Then in the editing process we start thinking more and more about the reader's experience.

I tend to be a very tidy writer -- like, I go over the same chapter a million times until I'm happy with it before moving on to the next one -- but I like his advice. It's helping me shake things up and in the process I've found myself going down a few unexpected roads and I like it.

Onward!

jooniFLORisploo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
madgeylou is here! My feet starting kicking with joy!!! ha! :))

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2017, 07:47:09 PM »
madgeylou is here! My feet starting kicking with joy!!! ha! :))

Mine too!! I need to look for fun new threads more often! Mwah!