Author Topic: Find a new job!  (Read 56305 times)

Jacana

• Stubble
Re: Find a new job!
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »
9 months after starting the search, my husband got a great offer today and he's accepting! Now just have to figure out how to sell the house and move with a 2 year old ASAP. Whew.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Congrats, Jacana!

Update after the three phone interviews mentioned above. One company will let me know next week if they will have me in, and another got back to say no thanks. The third said they want to meet me, so I have an in-person interview next week. It's at a place with horrible glassdoor reviews, but I am keeping an open mind.

Meanwhile, someone emailed me to get more info about my background.

Keep on keeping on!

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
Well, after several months of half-heartedly looking, I applied for an opportunity I'm really excited about, and now I have a three person panel interview on Tuesday! Whoopa!

It's a position working for the registrar at the local college - which is not only a great foot into working in a post-secondary environment (dream!) but constitutes as 35% wage increase, plus health and retirement benefits, which my current job lacks. And it is waaaaaaaay closer to where I live - I could definitely ride my bike in the not-winter. (18.5km vs 4.5km)

Wish me luck!

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
I GOT THE JOB! So excited :D

As you can probably tell, I accepted. The interview went really well, and the three people I met seemed very friendly, and professional, but not intimidating. I'm optimistic that it will be a good work environment - apparently the average tenure in their department is over 9 years, so not a lot of turnover.

I'm going to be a little unmustachian, and go out for dinner to celebrate. Aaaand I'm going to need to beef up my wardrobe, it's really not up to snuff for the environment I'll be in... but thrift stores and consignment shops will be my first stop.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »
Congratulations Fonzico!!!

You go out and celebrate and then back 'on the wagon'!  I also go to the thrift store first when I need to buy clothes and if no luck, then to the mall. 

:)  Pachnik

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
Congrats!!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
I've been out of the job searching game for far too long.  Back at it today, 2 applications put in, plus I signed up to take a certification test in 2 weeks.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2014, 05:37:18 AM »
I haven't posted on this thread before but I've got a new job too. As of November 1st I'm officially a freelance IT consultant. Before, I have only had jobs with an employer, so this is rather exciting.

I've landed my first client already as I was able to continue on the same project I was working on before I left my former employer. I'm continuing on their request, even, as they didn't have anyone to replace me and they wanted to maintain a good relationship with the client. In exchange, they get a percentage of my hourly fee. Reasonable.

I'm arranging all of the stuff I have to take care of myself now, such as a pension and a disability insurance. Taxes are handled by the firm I am a part of (I am a freelancer for the Dutch IRS, but I am associated with a firm), so that's great. They also have a sales team that can help me find projects, although I get paid more when I arrange my own projects.

So far, even though my day by day work hasn't changed much, I am loving it. Knowing that I have full control over which projects I do, which courses I take and what direction I take my career in is liberating! Also, no more end of year reviews and personal development plans.. I am NOT going to miss those!

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2014, 03:20:08 AM »
How about the challenge of starting your own business? Or would that be another thread?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »
Well, my great plans in August fizzled out to just about nothing and then life got busy. But I'll be picking up the reins again in July because two days ago, I handed in my notice. Such a huge sense of relief. My boss has asked me to stay an extra month (so to end of October instead of end of September) and I've told her I can but she has to sort it out with HR and I need to know before the end of June. I'm off on holidays tomorrow for two weeks so when I get back, the search will have to start in earnest. I reached out to the husband of a former colleague on xing (similar to linkedin but more popular in Germany) yesterday. He works for a temping agency. While I'll look for a permanent position, temping would be a good back-up and actually, I'm considering whether or not it might be a good fit for me permanently. With this agency, you work for the agency, rather than for the company you get placed with and it tends to mostly have positions for covering maternity leave and that kind of thing so months rather than weeks in each place. Obviously there are some benefits you miss out on but on the other hand there's the advantage of less onerous notice periods. I'm hoping he'll get back to me soon so that I can get a better idea of exactly what's involved.

crujonez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2015, 06:02:33 AM »
Great thread. I am just finding all the nooks and crannies of this site and love it. I put in my last day of work yesterday at a job I haven't been happy at for years but made good money. Saved up and just am flying by seat of my pants right now. Going to do some traveling and start applying after an epic summer vacation.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
Glad this thread has popped up again- it's heartening to read people's successes over time!  I am currently on the job market.  I had a one-year position which will be ending this summer, and the anticipated permanent positions at my agency were not funded after all.  Right now I have three warm leads and one cold lead.  Also, I recently found out that I will need some expensive medical treatment in the future, so health insurance quality will factor heavily into my decision.  Ideally I will land a state job (I am applying for two) as their health insurance is hands down the best quality available in my location/field. 

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »
Well, my end date has been confirmed as end of October so now the search has to begin in earnest. But it's so hot, I'm finding it hard to do anything at all. Got to get over that.

I did have a bit of luck last week though. Two people from choir who normally don't manage to join us for a drink after rehearsal came along with us for a change. Somebody asked me about my job search and how it was going and one of the two wanted to know all about it, she hadn't heard that I'd handed in my notice. Knowing that she works in the university here, I ended my story with "are you looking for a secretary?" - she did say she'd be looking for one soon but it's more like in a couple of years soon by the sounds of it. Her current secretary will retire at some stage and although she's hoping for sooner rather than later (current secretary refuses to do English correspondence, which makes working in the scientific field difficult), it could take a while. But she has a colleague who may need someone in a few months. And then the other of the two piped up from the other end of the table asking whether I just wanted to look for work in universities or if I'd consider a college. She works at the local music college and they will be looking for someone soon, too. So I've sent my CV off to both of them and we'll see if anything comes of it.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »
woot!
I just found a new job again (damn millenials job-hopping), going to a startup, should be quite exciting.
Continued positive vibes to everyone that's searching.  Keep up the good work!

kiwidollabill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »
So I'm just about to leave my desk to go have a meeting and discuss my new job offer...

Currently I'm in a technical (science) sales position, selling to 'the C Level'.  Been wanting to get some wider industry exposure (my background is all science) so applied for a business banking roll, focusing on new growth customers. Always wanted to move into this sector and so this gives me the opportunity.  Might jot down the rest of the story later tonight with an outcome....

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
So I'm just about to leave my desk to go have a meeting and discuss my new job offer...

Currently I'm in a technical (science) sales position, selling to 'the C Level'.  Been wanting to get some wider industry exposure (my background is all science) so applied for a business banking roll, focusing on new growth customers. Always wanted to move into this sector and so this gives me the opportunity.  Might jot down the rest of the story later tonight with an outcome....

Yes! Let us know how it goes!

kiwidollabill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:52 PM »

Yes! Let us know how it goes!

Copied from my journal today....

So I ended up getting a formal offer from a bank to come on as part of their business banking team (a big shift in industries).  The offer was good so after thinking it over I decided I was going to take it and change careers....

Yesterday morning I attempted to resign, the CEO and I had a fairly long lunch, discussing what my career aspirations were, what my current job downsides are and cheekily asked what $$$ the other offer was for.  In the end I was offered a strategic management position as part of a minor business restructure, will have direct reports but will also be quite a cross functional role.  I've negociated travel requirements (usually away for a few dates each fortnight) down to a max of 1-2 days a month and completely at my discretion.  Salary would be a bit of a bump also.  Our chairman of the board also called me lastnight and said "you're too bloody smart to go work at a bank" amoungst other things to try and get me to stay.

In the end I decided it was a no brainer, I'm staying with the company and taking the new role.  This experience has been challenging but fantastic as it made me realise what is important in my career (sad to say that ER don't appeal at the moment).

Two quotes reminded me to make the right decision....

"learn as much as you can in your 20s and 30s, then use it to earn as much as you can in your 40s and 50s"

"No one knows who was employee #5000 at IBM, but everyone knows who were the first 5 employees with Apple"

mrfilthyrich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »
I was not actively looking for a new job whatsoever, but a previous colleague kept bugging me about applying for a position on his team.  Interview went well, but then didn't hear much from the hiring manager for a month.  Got the job and will be starting in less than a month! A lot of change will be coming from this, including moving my wife and 6 month old back to the states from Canada, but I think it will be really good for the career and our lives in the long run.  A 20k bump in salary in addition to a 10% yearly bonus will be huge!  Any others recently switching gigs?

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »
I was not actively looking for a new job whatsoever, but a previous colleague kept bugging me about applying for a position on his team.  Interview went well, but then didn't hear much from the hiring manager for a month.  Got the job and will be starting in less than a month! A lot of change will be coming from this, including moving my wife and 6 month old back to the states from Canada, but I think it will be really good for the career and our lives in the long run.  A 20k bump in salary in addition to a 10% yearly bonus will be huge!  Any others recently switching gigs?
Workin' on it.  ;)

mrfilthyrich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »
Good luck, iknowiyam!

2bor!2b

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
I want to be  a part of this challenge too but I am currently pregnant and I am not looking to move in the coming 6-8 months to avail of the maternity and other benefits of staying in a job for far too long(3 years is a looong time in Silicon Valley). I will be studying in the meantime though and checking on this thread for motivation.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:03 PM »
Took me a lot longer than I planned (I'm not very pushy or persistent) but I got a new position in my new field!  I start Monday, this will help our savings rate considerably!  We will probably go above 50% for the first time this year!

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »
I love reading everyone's job search stories. I was miserable for nearly four years in a dead-end and weird workplace. It took a lot of patience and tenacity to hang on until a great job opened up and I was hired. I started late in 2015 and have been so grateful for the opportunity to now work for an exciting and progressive organization. I enjoy going to work, I like doing the work and I collaborate with interesting and plugged in people. It's a wonderful change.

Also, since I look forward to being FIREd in a reasonable amount of time, the job I am doing will transition well into consulting work later. That was a big consideration in taking the job.

Congrats to all!
NDQ

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
So my first time posting on this thread.  I know I'm a ways off, but still, always planning long term for an easy transition right?

About me:

Currently military.  On year 5 of my 6 year contract.  Will ETS January 2018, earlier with leave and transition early release (3-8 months) if cards are played right.

Skills: Korean and Japanese Language (both rusty), Clearance level for government intelligence field,
Education: Bachelors in Criminal Justice, Minor in Japanese, Associates Degree in Korean Studies, Military Training

I'm hoping to transition next year into another field of study/government job/etc.  Currently researching my options, but I would love to remain on Oahu, Hawaii due to the beautiful nature and open community here. 

I'm looking into something after military along the lines of either going back to school to get a degree (finance maybe?), or pick up a trade skill that will pay well.  Also looking into getting my NASM certification for personal training, since I love working out in a gym and helping others better themselves. Also thought about getting a degree in sports medicine and nutrition or something that will help in that sense.

I want to get vested in rental properties and crafting at some point as well.  Not really sure what I can do for government jobs in Hawaii other than what I do but just in the civilian side of things.

Looking into speaking to career counselors in the civilian sector, army education center workers, and when I outprocess going into transition programs to get a better understanding for jobs. Also thinking about taking a myers briggs test to help determine my personality and what I like.

Anyone with suggestions or advice will be much welcome.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Find a new job!
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
Dragonstrike, you might want to start a new thread with a title noting that you are military. We have a large number of active and former service members on this forum and I'll bet they can help you out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:33:49 AM by pbkmaine »

Dragonstrike

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2016, 01:50:41 AM »
Dragonstrike, you might want to start a new thread with a title noting that you are military. We have a large number of active and former service members on this forum and I'll bet they can help you out.

Duly noted and good idea! Will do.

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
I am joining in! I have worked at the same place for five years and I am slowly dying inside. Plus, the commute sucks -- it's 35km each way.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2016, 07:52:25 PM »
So what do you guys think, I'm on the fence.

I started a new job as a temp in January, said at the time that I was willing to be a temp for a maximum of 6 months.  We're getting closer every day to that line. 

I like it there, but the pay is fairly low.  All the other things there are pleasant, not too stressful, relaxed atmosphere, decent 401-K (from what i hear), good vacation policy, etc.  I'd be happy to stay if they hired me on, either in my current position or another one that just opened up.  Pay would improve being an employee instead of a temp.  Not to fantastic levels, but acceptable.

Also, this is a mid life career change, so all of my prior experience apparently doesn't mean shit.  So I need the experience.  I don't want to burn the one tiny bridge that I've built since January.  On the other hand, the temp trap is a real thing that can catch you up.

What I'm asking I guess is do I stick it out for the full 6 months and see what happens?  IDK, I've always been a "bird in the hand" type of person, never really gone looking for another job seriously while I was employed.  It's like I don't have the mental or emotional energy to look for something while I've got something.

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »

I started a new job as a temp in January, said at the time that I was willing to be a temp for a maximum of 6 months.  We're getting closer every day to that line. 

I like it there, but the pay is fairly low.  All the other things there are pleasant, not too stressful, relaxed atmosphere, decent 401-K (from what i hear), good vacation policy, etc.  I'd be happy to stay if they hired me on, either in my current position or another one that just opened up.  Pay would improve being an employee instead of a temp.  Not to fantastic levels, but acceptable.

Also, this is a mid life career change, so all of my prior experience apparently doesn't mean shit.  So I need the experience.  I don't want to burn the one tiny bridge that I've built since January.  On the other hand, the temp trap is a real thing that can catch you up.

What I'm asking I guess is do I stick it out for the full 6 months and see what happens?  IDK, I've always been a "bird in the hand" type of person, never really gone looking for another job seriously while I was employed.  It's like I don't have the mental or emotional energy to look for something while I've got something.

With the near 6 months experience, you're in a much better position to find a permanent position in the field (much better for interviews too). I encourage you to look now. No one can blame you for being open to opportunities (look out for yourself) while doing your job. At the same time, have you talked to this current company, to see if they want to convert you to full-time?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »

With the near 6 months experience, you're in a much better position to find a permanent position in the field (much better for interviews too). I encourage you to look now. No one can blame you for being open to opportunities (look out for yourself) while doing your job. At the same time, have you talked to this current company, to see if they want to convert you to full-time?
Sigh, I have not.  See what I mean about me going with the bird in the hand?  I need to speak up for real!

They did interview me for a position they said would be opening up soon, that was over a month ago though.  That's about their speed.  The last girl who was hired from being a temp was interviewed over a month before they hired her.

I'll see what I can do once I'm back from the long weekend.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
I'm in. I'm coming up on my three year anniversary as a city/county planner, and I'm not happy. The COMMUNITY is great, but the workplace is absurdly quiet, my coworkers are weird, and nobody said a word when I brought in $400,000 in grant money. No lie, I didn't even get a 'good job' from my supervisor.

I've rebuilt my FU fund to a little less than $2,000, and while I've had some interviews, no bites yet. :( I live in S.C. but am open to moving to N.C. too.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I want to get in on this.  I've been procrastinating forever.  Not happy at all here, but I hate the process of looking.

AK

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2016, 08:03:18 PM »
I like my colleagues, supervisor, and clients at work but it's not fulfilling and challenging any longer. I've been talking about starting my own business for years and am now in the middle of doing it! Today, emails were sent to an accountant and lawyer requesting a sit down to talk about next steps! I have not felt this great professionally in years. It just feels right.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »

Sigh, I have not.  See what I mean about me going with the bird in the hand?  I need to speak up for real!

They did interview me for a position they said would be opening up soon, that was over a month ago though.  That's about their speed.  The last girl who was hired from being a temp was interviewed over a month before they hired her.

In the spirit of being polite (because it's the way I am) I told my boss today that I'm looking for work.  Because being a temp long term isn't happening.  If they hire me, great, I'll stay!  But if they don't soon I'll move on with no hard feelings.

The person they hired instead of me about a month ago has already put in 2 weeks notice.  What a jerk!

StiffUpperLip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
I'm in! We want to move closer to family so I need to get a job in that area, but am in a niche field so there's only one or two postings which are at the right level at any one time.  There's more available if I was willing to live in London but I'm not!

I really feel I've gotten everything from my current employer I can, and feel like it's becoming stagnant.  I need a new challenge to keep me interested!

Had an interview last week but not very hopeful. It was my first interview in 10 years and it's never been a situation I'm comfortable with.  I've managed to move up within my current employer by doing a good job and getting noticed.  I'm good at my job but not good at talking about myself... So it's getting in the door that's my problem...

Wish me luck!?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »
Update: I've had a couple of interviews but no bites. :( In July I'm having lunch with someone in the field I want to enter, and she forwarded on my resume to a friend of hers. I did apply for a different job in my current organization, one I think will suit me better, and I've got some heavy players rooting for me (it pays to shop local and be pleasant.) so maybe something will come of it.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
Perhaps joining this gauntlet will help light a fire under me. Been at the same company since I got out of school in 2011, worked 3.5 years in the engineering department (projects/process) when I asked to transfer to the supply chain department (non-technical, production planning); been there just over a year. It's an old-school company with a terrible vacation policy (2 weeks until your 15 year anniversary, then you get 3). My wife works about 25 minutes away from home and I would like to get a job closer to her workplace so we can sell the house and move over there.

Pros in my job search:
 - I have a Mechanical Engineering degree from a well known engineering school
 - Am currently employed at a very stable company, so can look without too much worry about job security

Cons in my job search:
 - Was C average student in school, not well suited to a technical role
 - Have used my ME degree 0 times since I exited school
 - Golden handcuffs: am being paid $72k/yr salary in a non-technical planning role which only requires an hour or two of work per day (there is no telework of flex time though); I think I get paid more than my manager
 - Looking for jobs about a half hour away, so potential interviews will be difficult to coordinate with our vacation policy of having to request at least 2 weeks ahead

So far I've applied to dozens of jobs but haven't received any call backs. I don't have a local network (went to school 1,600 miles away), so all applications are through those damn job portals where they have you upload a resume then input all the information in it manually anyway. Looking for advice and inspiration to help in this job search.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
Perhaps joining this gauntlet will help light a fire under me.
I'll join in myself.  I'm from Tyler!  Do you have any immediate and manageable goals there Philo?  You have to have some or else this probably won't work...

Where I'm at:

Decent job at a Metal Building Company.  Horrible commute, 56 miles EACH WAY.  Yes I know I deserve a punch-in-the-face-right-now for such a stupid commute over the last four years.  Really looking for a lifestyle change and am connected to Tyler because of family/friends/church family that we don't want to move away from. 
I have had 2 interviews, both through head hunters.  First interview went really well.  Start-up company.  They decided to go a different route with a cheaper option that had significantly less experience (even though they were well into the diminishing returns and needed additional production NOW, without a buffer for the other guy's learning curve).  Probably for the best that I didn't get that job.  Second job interview went really well but was two weeks ago and I'm waiting on a definitive answers (they had other interviews to conduct).

As such, goals are as follows (and feel free to question whether I get it done or not):

1. Reach out to at least 4 other companies with pain-letters, visits or cold-emails by August ( <--- online portals are now officially BS and not to be used by me any more unless it can be completed in less than thirty seconds).
2. Eliminate as much waste from my life right now as is possible.  Primarily getting rid of excess spending like restaurants and fast food.
3. Write up and initialize a plan to get rid of the dept and start to alter the lifestyle.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:51 PM »
Perhaps joining this gauntlet will help light a fire under me.
I'll join in myself.  I'm from Tyler!  Do you have any immediate and manageable goals there Philo?

My only goal is to get a new job within 10 miles of my wife's workplace without having to take a paycut. I'm beginning to realize that this is neither immediate nor manageable though, so I will have to consider some of your goals. Happy hunting!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »

In the spirit of being polite (because it's the way I am) I told my boss today that I'm looking for work.  Because being a temp long term isn't happening.  If they hire me, great, I'll stay!  But if they don't soon I'll move on with no hard feelings.

The person they hired instead of me about a month ago has already put in 2 weeks notice.  What a jerk!
Things moved quickly.  I scheduled a job interview on Friday at another place.  Better pay, worse commute.  Told boss I was looking.  Monday morning received job offer where I was a temp.  Coincidence?  I doubt it!  I accepted and cancelled the other interview.  Would have been a great job, but my commute now is too nice to give up, plus other features of my job are nice.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2016, 07:03:38 AM »
I found two and took the higher paying one! It took me about 4-6 months starting from the day I applied. These things take time but putting feelers out really pays off!!! :D

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Things moved quickly.  I scheduled a job interview on Friday at another place.  Better pay, worse commute.  Told boss I was looking.  Monday morning received job offer where I was a temp.  Coincidence?  I doubt it!  I accepted and cancelled the other interview.  Would have been a great job, but my commute now is too nice to give up, plus other features of my job are nice.

Congratulations!

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2016, 08:01:09 AM »
Just curious, of those of you planning to switch jobs, what is your FU money like right now? I'm contemplating making a change in the next year or so, but my 'stache hasn't hit 6 figures yet. I've got a good gig where I am with tons of vacation time, matching and other great benefits, but I'm burned out and bored. I'd really like to do a completely different job, but just not sure what that is yet and don't feel secure making a change with such a low NW.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
I'm somewhat procrastinating too. But leaving my current job is becoming imminently clear to the only choice. Have people looked for jobs across the country? (Coast to coast) what was your experience, and any tips to share? Thanks!

Need some motivation + encouragement or tips please. I am meeting people, looking online, and submitting an application here and there where they look interesting. But want an offer soon......

Except for the cross country move I'm in the same boat you are. Maybe try some cold calls? That worked for me in the past when I was just getting my career started. I'm planning on doing it again.

Anyway, you are not alone.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
Just curious, of those of you planning to switch jobs, what is your FU money like right now? I'm contemplating making a change in the next year or so, but my 'stache hasn't hit 6 figures yet. I've got a good gig where I am with tons of vacation time, matching and other great benefits, but I'm burned out and bored. I'd really like to do a completely different job, but just not sure what that is yet and don't feel secure making a change with such a low NW.

Dunno...  Non-mustachians do it all the time so it must be possible.  :)
If you are willing to risk it, I would say to talk to your boss.  See if you can try out something new at your current workplace if they consider you a good employee.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »
I'm somewhat procrastinating too. But leaving my current job is becoming imminently clear to the only choice. Have people looked for jobs across the country? (Coast to coast) what was your experience, and any tips to share? Thanks!

Need some motivation + encouragement or tips please. I am meeting people, looking online, and submitting an application here and there where they look interesting. But want an offer soon......

Yeah, I'm trying  a cross country move as well.  I've called recruiters in the area and tried to line up informational interviews, but nobody's responding.  I'll try some industry meetups when I'm visiting, but I can't help but feel like I've been blackballed or something. :/

Except for the cross country move I'm in the same boat you are. Maybe try some cold calls? That worked for me in the past when I was just getting my career started. I'm planning on doing it again.

Anyway, you are not alone.

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »
Hey everyone. I've enjoyed reading everyone's story on job hunting and I thought I share my story and perhaps get some feedback on my situation. Back in February I started a new job with a salary of $45k/year working as a Tech Analyst (Support) for a software engineering company. However, about 2 months in I realized I wasn't enjoying the job and I disliked coming into work everyday. The workload was insane, very micromanaged, and crazy stress. Most evenings I would log in remotely to catch up and do another 1-2 hours of work. I realized there is a high turnover rate in my department due to amount of stress involved in Support. My co-workers were great though and I actually became pretty good friends with a couple of people there in a short period of time. Anyways, I started applying for new jobs in the middle of May as the situation was worsening (staff keeps decreasing while workload keeps going up). I decided at the beginning of June I was going to give my 2 week notice on June 17th and stay until the end of the month. My last day was on Friday and never felt so relieved. My expenses are pretty low and I would have no trouble going 3 months (I could go longer if I start withdrawing from my ROTH but want to avoid doing that) without a paycheck so I thought I'd take the chance since it was bringing me down going to that job :( I had no job offer at the time I gave my notice but did have two companies contact me for phone interviews.

The phone interview for Company A went well and the HR lady immediately asked me when I would be available for a technical interview over the phone. I had the technical interview last Tuesday and I was contacted the next day with an offer of $61,500/year as a Software Engineer for an IT consulting company. I have until July 5th to accept or decline the offer. The thing is I would need to relocate to Ohio in the Greater Cincinnati area (Milford). The start date is August 1st so there would be a lot of moving parts quickly should I accept the offer. Some things about this company is that they can place you in a different project/assignment at any time and would need to relocate to that city where the project is based. I have been doing research on the company and the Glass Door/Indeed reviews seem to be all over the place. Seems like an okay place to get experience and then move on to someplace else.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Tata-Consultancy-Services-North-America-Reviews-E23279.htm
http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Tata-Consultancy-Services-(tcs)/reviews?fcountry=US&fjobtitle=ALL

Here are some pros and cons I have listed if I were to accept:

Pros:
Good salary in a low cost of living area
Get to explore a new state (been in NJ for 22 years since coming with my family)
Eventually I want to live in Colorado so this is a good opportunity to see how I enjoy the midwest
Get to be independent and experience living alone
Gain good experience in Tech industry
Have chance to live in different states
I am single and have no attachments so relocating is no problem
I would be able to pay off my student loans in a very short amount of time with the higher salary and accelerate FIRE
I can always go back to NJ if I don't enjoy it

Cons:
I would miss my family (we are very close as Spanish family tend to be). We currently split expenses on a house mortgage between my older brother, older sister, and our parents. We are all independent and are responsible for each one's part.
I would miss my friends. I've known my best friend for over 10 years.
I would miss some of New York. I made some good connections with people at many volunteer events there over the years.
Company reviews seem so-so. Some say work life balance is great, others not so. Some reviews are not too keen on the Indian culture.

My phone interview with Company B went pretty good as well. This job would be based in NJ and just under 5 miles where I live. The HR rep wanted to schedule an in person interview with the director but they were currently on vacation. I won't have the interview before I have to accept Company A offer so it will be difficult to compare the two. Although the glass door/indeed reviews are average and the salary is much lower (45k-50k). But I have no guarantee I would get the job as opposed to the offer I already have.

Do you guys usually look to Glassdoor/indeed company reviews to see if a company is worthwhile? I think most companies have below average reviews which is the reason why most of are here seeking FI. Anyways, sorry for the long post but opinions and feedback are welcome! If you live in Ohio I would love to hear about your experience living there.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
Do you guys usually look to Glassdoor/indeed company reviews to see if a company is worthwhile? I think most companies have below average reviews which is the reason why most of are here seeking FI. Anyways, sorry for the long post but opinions and feedback are welcome! If you live in Ohio I would love to hear about your experience living there.

I used Glassdoor on my current company as well as a few of my previous companies.  I think it is fairly accurate.  I wouldn't be too worried if there was a balance of high and low reviews as long as the dates for the high reviews are well established (spread out).  Always look at the dates.  If you see ten positive reviews in a three day period...  Well it should be obvious that those are fake and forced by the employer.

I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews as long as there are (1) more positives than negatives, (2) the negative descriptions don't throw any red flags, (3) the positive reviews aren't fake.

Then again... Breaking down the US reviews for "Software Engineer" presents some not-so-good reviews.
I would consider this review a red flag:  https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Tata-Consultancy-Services-North-America-RVW5029758.htm

Just my 2 cents...

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »

I used Glassdoor on my current company as well as a few of my previous companies.  I think it is fairly accurate.  I wouldn't be too worried if there was a balance of high and low reviews as long as the dates for the high reviews are well established (spread out).  Always look at the dates.  If you see ten positive reviews in a three day period...  Well it should be obvious that those are fake and forced by the employer.

I wouldn't worry about the negative reviews as long as there are (1) more positives than negatives, (2) the negative descriptions don't throw any red flags, (3) the positive reviews aren't fake.

Then again... Breaking down the US reviews for "Software Engineer" presents some not-so-good reviews.
I would consider this review a red flag:  https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Tata-Consultancy-Services-North-America-RVW5029758.htm

Just my 2 cents...

I also realized that the Software Engineer role has the lowest rating in the company. Definitely a red flag on some of those. I had an extension until Friday to accept/decline. Right now I am not feeling too confident in the position but will take another couple days to think about it. I'll continue to apply for other jobs in the meantime.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:07 PM »
I had an extension until Friday to accept/decline. Right now I am not feeling too confident in the position but will take another couple days to think about it. I'll continue to apply for other jobs in the meantime.
You actually have until August 1 to decide whether or not you will accept the job. I was in a similar situation a few years back and was advised that until I had something better I would be wise to keep it in my back pocket. My advisor was right.

Ultimately they are probably under no legal obligation to hold the job for you, and thus it does not harm you to keep your options open.

Also, posting to throw down my own gauntlet. New job in ninety days.