Author Topic: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge  (Read 6624 times)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
Re: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2024, 02:02:26 PM »

Freezer/fridge:
mushroom and wild rice soup (2) 1
chili (2)
lentil bolognese (3) (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4)
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4)

Pantry:
baked potatoes (10) (9)
red lentil quinoa pasta (6)
granola (6)

That stuff is all on the first tier; once completed, will move into next stage (other pantry and freezer items)

[/quote
*will be turning red as I finish things*
[/quote]
[/quote]

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2024, 04:50:16 AM »
I ma so in the challenage!

Been trying to work on this since the start of Jan and making slow and steady progress.

This week we have used up:
1 partial box of Jalepeono poppers
2 boxes of bagel bites
2 chicken legs
1 packet of instant rice
1 package of 2 salmon filets

Benn working on only buying fruit, veggies, dairy (milk, cheese, yougurt) and othehr needed items to help use up our back stop!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2024, 02:27:15 PM »
I have a large tub of applesauce (my mom freezes them in yogourt containers both big and small).  Thawed a big one and made some applesauce cake (delicious)..might make more of that but then am still left with a lot of applesauce.

Does anyone have other creative uses?

Can eat straight or with yogourt but there is quite a bit of it (and more frozen downstairs!)

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2024, 03:57:37 PM »
I have a large tub of applesauce (my mom freezes them in yogourt containers both big and small).  Thawed a big one and made some applesauce cake (delicious)..might make more of that but then am still left with a lot of applesauce.

Can eat straight or with yogourt but there is quite a bit of it (and more frozen downstairs!)

Make apple butter?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2024, 05:18:43 PM »

Freezer:
-2 very old cheeseburgers. May need to be tossed.
-Fish sticks
-Corn dogs - 6 used up
-Cranberries - 1 bag used up (I made muffins)
-Pesto pasta - I think there are two containers. I defrosted one yesterday, & had half of it for lunch. Other half will be lunch tomorrow.

Pantry:
-Potatoes - used up in a Greek veggie bake
-2 cans of coconut milk
-2 cans of green beans

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2024, 06:58:46 AM »
Used up the end of the week’s fresh veggies in a roasted curry bake on top of an expiring Chana masala frozen dinner.

This week we have company arriving Thursday-I am not buying anything ahead of them showing up other than coffee-since they drink it and we don’t. I don’t think coffee drinkers can function in the morning without it.

I made an inspiration list from all the foods in the freezer and pantry and we are trying to go through it. With only two people eating the food it is taking forever. DS 23 pretty much eats his own food by now and gets his main meals at work.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2024, 11:41:21 AM »
Back from a 3 day trip. I focused on eating out of the fridge before we left and its looking respectably empty in comparison to the chaotic situation it normally looks like. Its still probably too full by most people's standards. But I actually have ROOM in the door shelves and lots of empty space in the vegetable drawer! I also rearranged things so the "food blind" ("WAAAH  there's no food in the fridge!") members of my family can easily find things at the front.

The biggest issue I have with these types of challenges is that my teenagers bitch that mom won't buy them food, there's nothing to eat etc. Then they get their dad to take them to Walmart where they spend $200 on stuff that I would normally shop for on sale and only spend $125 on. So I have to listen to their complaints and act right before they get desperate enough to go out on their own.

The freezer is currently full of things I've bought that only I will eat - GF battered fish sticks and chicken strips, microwavable breakfast sausage. I need to figure out what everyone else is into these days and do a tiny stock up. I have lots of vacuum sealed ground beef. The store I bought them from changed the packaging color, so I'm going to make sure to thaw out the ones with the old coloring first so I'm rotating stock properly. I'm going to work on reorganizing the whole freezer today.

The pantry is out of control and I don't currently have a great path towards tackling it. We have way too many bulk nuts (unlabeled), cereals, crackers and jars of sauce etc. I feel panicky whenever I look in there. About 80% of what's in there are foods I'm allergic to so I have very little control over getting those items eaten.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2024, 12:09:13 PM »
Chugging along here...

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentil bolognese (3) (2) 1
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4)
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4)

Pantry:
baked potatoes (10) (9)
granola (6)

That stuff is all on the first tier; once completed, will move into next stage (other pantry and freezer items)

[/quote
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2024, 12:43:14 PM »
Sunday I got through the following:

1 package chitarra pasta
1 jar marinara
3 cups brown lentils
1 cup red lentils

Plus a variety of fresh produce, smoothie makings, and some leftovers, including colcannon and chili.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2024, 01:21:40 PM »
@fuzzy math - I have the same dynamic with my two teens & my husband. I follow a similar approach, and I do prioritize buying a new snack per week, because that seems to keep everyone in check. Other strategies: I eat a lot of leftovers myself, I make the teens food that I want to get rid of. They typically make their own weekend lunches, so when I make it, it's appreciated. That means I get to choose (roughly, I don't want waste, after all) things I want to get rid of.

Freezer:
-2 very old cheeseburgers. May need to be tossed.
-Fish sticks
-Corn dogs - 6 used up
-Cranberries - 1 bag used up (I made muffins)
-Pesto pasta - I think there are two containers. One container is gone (split over two meals)

Pantry:
-Potatoes - used up in a Greek veggie bake
-2 cans of coconut milk
-2 cans of green beans

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2024, 08:32:08 PM »
@fuzzy math - I have the same dynamic with my two teens & my husband. I follow a similar approach, and I do prioritize buying a new snack per week, because that seems to keep everyone in check. Other strategies: I eat a lot of leftovers myself, I make the teens food that I want to get rid of. They typically make their own weekend lunches, so when I make it, it's appreciated. That means I get to choose (roughly, I don't want waste, after all) things I want to get rid of.

I generally do the same things... foods I can eat leftovers of, I eat first. Things I can't eat I try to encourage the kids to work on, and if not it falls to DH. He's trapped in a perpetual cycle of eating bread ends and rejected cereals and crackers.
I'm able to make them foods, I'm extra motivated right now... sometimes I let the kids fend for themselves because they complain about what I make.

Today's progress:

- Went through the freezer and reorganized as promised. Thawed 3 and used 2 partial packages of shredded cheese.
- Went through the pantry and poured items into the clear bins we have. Got about 15 cardboard boxes out and now things look more organized. I can see more items now too.
- Went through the spice cupboard with DH. Found some spice meal mixes and got some ideas for cuts of meat we will need to use those things.
-  Made split pea soup with some dried split peas and some freezer bacon. Used some fridge veggies.

Tomorrow:

-Going to costco without the kids. Buying the requested gyoza and some strawberries.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2024, 03:22:49 AM »

Last night used up:

1 bag of frozen stir fry veggies
1 pre sorted package of stew beef

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2024, 06:11:27 AM »
I defrosted and cooked some ground beef, will be making some "Buddha bowls" with it.

I'll be looking through the freezer stache today to see if there's more stuff I can use up.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2024, 09:00:06 AM »
Realized that baking things like applesauce cake just means that I eat a lot of cake!
Will just eat the applesauce for now rather than baking too much tasty cake which I’ll then eat for most of my meals..

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2024, 05:14:06 PM »
I think the avalanche that occurred when I opened the freezer last night was a sign that I need to join this challenge, lol.

I'll have to do a full inventory, but here's what I can remember that needs to get used up:
- Lots of frozen tomatoes from my garden last year
- Frozen shredded zucchini, also from the garden
- Zucchini bread
- Some turkey and dressing from Thanksgiving
- Posole frozen in individual servings from the huge batch I made over the holidays
- 2 packs of ground venison from SO's hunting
- Ground beef that I pick up when it's on sale
- Chicken breasts and thighs, bought these yesterday on sale and putting them in the freezer triggered the avalanche

I have a few ideas for recipes, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!

Made venison enchiladas last night - one down!
And I have some tomatoes currently defrosting to be used on pizza tonight.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2024, 05:28:23 PM »
Just me at home tonight-leftover crackers, cream cheese, and pineapple salsa that needs to get eaten. It’s only 7:30 and I am in a food coma calling bedtime.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2024, 07:24:42 PM »
 steady progress- also used up 2 cans of coconut milk and 2 cans of tomato paste and ground turkey to make butter chicken meatballs and made beef jerky out of some beef from the freezer

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baked potatoes (10) (9)
granola (6) 5

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2024, 10:47:13 PM »

Make apple butter?

great suggestion @NotJen --I'll do a batch tomorrow.

Today I made red lentil pate with thyme & oregano (good on toasted sandwiches or with crackers) and a pot of corn chowder which ended up being surprisingly tasty (using frozen corn, a lone stick of celery, couple potatoes, onions. etc). Bonus marks as I've never made corn chowder before.

Avoided the grocery store recently but my partner returns tomorrow so I'll go buy some yogourt, coffee cream and bread..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:49:38 PM by Serendip »

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2024, 05:19:56 AM »
@Serendip- thanks for the reminder of corn chowder!  That's a great way to use up a bunch of potatos and I have both corn and creamed corn in my pantry!!

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2024, 01:39:03 PM »

Tonight's use up meal:

2 single serve (premade by me at X-Mas) lasagna

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2024, 02:37:20 PM »
Green bean casserole-we didn’t have it at Christmas this year and it needs to get prepared.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2024, 04:26:01 PM »
The challenge has been going pretty well. I made a huge pot of split pea soup last week, using up the bag of split peas, some veggies that were getting a little old, and some of my chia seeds stash.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2024, 07:14:51 AM »
I have company arriving for the weekend. I am not sure what leftovers they will be getting fed, but I do know we are going out for Chinese food on the 10th. I was going to make sweet and sour chicken tonight with dry fried green beans, but that’s probably too much Chinese for one weekend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2024, 09:09:49 AM »
@Serendip- thanks for the reminder of corn chowder!  That's a great way to use up a bunch of potatos and I have both corn and creamed corn in my pantry!!

It’s a revelation for me—I’m not a big soup maker but so tasty and simple!

A friend was excited about the idea of dulse so I’m gifting her some of mine :) I read that you can crisp it up in olive oil as ‘faux bacon’ to put to sandwiches so I may try that later today. Love a crispy crunch on my toast.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2024, 11:48:15 AM »
- Thanksgiving turkey - turkey pot pie
- Ground turkey and pinto beans - chili for the Super Bowl!
- Ground chicken - I can't remember any go-to recipes for ground chicken, so I'll have to peruse my stash
- Ground beef - meatloaf
- Make vegetable stock from saved veggie scraps
- Pulled pork - find a recipe that uses pulled pork, or divide it up for salads
- Find a non-chili dish for rest of pinto beans

One "can" of pintos taken care of.  I had a hankering for Chipotle-esq nachos/burrito bowl, but probably wasn't going to pull the trigger.  While shopping for grocery discounts, I found up some discounted guac and butternut squash and hatched a plan.  I just had the most delicious nachos with pinto beans, roasted butternut squash and zucchini, guac, pico, shredded spinach, onions, and green peppers.  Just missing some cheese, but I didn't miss it.  It was a thing of beauty, and I get to have round two tomorrow.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2024, 12:28:05 PM »
I've stalled and totally lost interest in what's in the freezer...

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2024, 12:48:14 PM »
Barely made any progress on freezer or pantry stuff. It took a couple days to finish off my soup, and I scored another few free food items from a volunteer shift which are taking forever to eat. I'll still take free food over emptying out my freezer or pantry.

-A sharp vacuum sealed package of frozen salmon that I kept cutting my fingers on has been eaten
-More frozen shredded cheese has been eaten
-An effort to eat our dozens of fresh eggs resulted in DD making french toast, and me cooking a fritatta (still not finished)

So far this week I've only bought fruits, vegetables, a dip for super bowl, a frozen item for DD, fresh bread, yogurt, lunch meat and oat milk. Just typing that sounds like a ridiculous amount of food but I swear its not!

I opened a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce a couple weeks back, made chipotle dip and still have leftover peppers. I'm going to make beef and lentil enchiladas later this week (maybe tonight?) and I'm not sure whether I want to use a jar of green enchilada sauce or some of the chipotle sauce. The tiniest amount goes a long way. I'll never finish it... should probably freeze portions of it.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:36:14 PM by fuzzy math »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2024, 01:21:20 PM »
The only progress I’ve made on this is adding more items to my list of items to use. Hah.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2024, 02:02:51 PM »
I've stalled and totally lost interest in what's in the freezer...

Me too!!! Today I rebelled by eating peanut butter toast and blueberries.  That said, the peanut butter was in the pantry, the bread came from the freezer, so still on task, but not on my designated (and self-imposed) "list".

Oh well.  Dinner incorporates one baked potato and leftover butter cauliflower, so, the struggle continues.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2024, 06:17:56 PM »
I made a little progress tonight using up the last of a jar of PB and adding more items to my list. Then I did some meal planning and came up with a surprising number of meals we have all the ingredients for.

Odd items to use up:
- [ ] 1/2 cup almond flour
- [ ] A curry mix packet
- [ ] 2 cups coconut flakes -I have a recipe chosen, just have to get time.
- [ ] Plant based whipping cream
- [ ] Vegan dip (weird flavor and texture. Ate half and tossed half of one. Have a second different flavor left).
- [ ] 1/3 cup granulated tapioca
- [ ] 1/2 case each of single serve jelly and pb
- [ ] Herbs in the hydro garden. Savory.  Don’t know how to use savory.
- [ ] Instant rice - 2cups?
- [ ] Instant mashed potatoes - 2-3 servings
- [ ] Cranberry syrup
- [ ] 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs (Sally baking pumpkin bars)
- [ ] 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- [ ] Lemon granules (I’ve decided to toss them haven’t gotten to it yet but it’s coming)
- [ ] Peppercorns (I just want to use enough out of the grinder to make room for the 1/4 inch of peppercorns left in the bulk container)
-
  • 1/2 c peanut butter

-
  • Several partial packets of hard candy from an event ( took them to work and filled my admins candy dish)

We have been using herbs from the hydro garden, they just keep growing as fast as we use them.  Lovely problem to have.

Husband has used a little of the cranberry syrup.

Available Meals:
- [ ] Bbq Lentils and potato fries and green beans
- [ ] Shepherds pie with lentils, veg, mashed potatoes
- [ ] Stir fry freezer kit
- [ ] Peanut butter noodles stir fry veg in freezer and chicken packet
- [ ] Pumpkin curry coconut soup
- [ ] Blueberry muffins
- [ ] Cranberry muffins
- [ ] Cabbage and carrot sesame salad
- [ ] Jambalaya - vegetarian (use up frozen peppers and onions)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2024, 06:25:18 PM »
We have been using herbs from the hydro garden, they just keep growing as fast as we use them.  Lovely problem to have.

The best type of problem.
We have a miracle basil plant (has been an indoor plant for ...going on eight years I think). We keep cutting it down and it keeps growing to tree-like proportions. Year-round basil is wonderful!

Tonight my partner wanted pizza and while he meant take-away, I am going to make potato, bacon & rosemary since I had frozen sourdough dough and we have all the other ingredients already. Pantry/freezer challenge win!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 08:01:17 PM by Serendip »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2024, 08:10:58 PM »
- Thanksgiving turkey - turkey pot pie
- Ground turkey and pinto beans - chili for the Super Bowl!
- Ground chicken - I can't remember any go-to recipes for ground chicken, so I'll have to peruse my stash
- Ground beef - meatloaf
- Make vegetable stock from saved veggie scraps
- Pulled pork - find a recipe that uses pulled pork, or divide it up for salads
- Find a non-chili dish for rest of pinto beans

Oops, crossed another one off today.  Divided the pork up for use in salads.  Yum.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2024, 10:50:29 PM »

Applesauce + sour cream (or greek yogurt) makes a delicious topping for latkes. Also, it can be substituted for fat in baking, but makes the end product firmer. I don't recommend 100% swap, just a portion.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2024, 04:55:43 AM »
Last nights cleanout consisted of:

2 pork chops
2 cans of veggies

Slow and steady!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2024, 09:23:19 AM »
I made a huge pot of chili last week, starting with dry black beans from the pantry. Ate some, gave some to a friend, froze the rest. Yesterday I saw a recipe for Cowboy Chili Cornbead, which called for self rising cornbread mix, which I had in the pantry. I pulled out the chili from the freezer and made the CCC. Turns out the self rising cornbread mix is unbelievably salty. Perhaps that's why it got shoved to the back of the pantry so long ago...

I also made up a batch of veggie pretend meat crumbles. As I was freezing the leftovers, it occurred to me that I might be doing this wrong.

Also did a minor Costco run, using a list, which I stuck to. Well, except for the $20 lined jeans I found in DH's size. He was with me and the ones he had on have weird holes where he spilled something corrosive. Only the fact that they're lined keeps them wearable, but they're on their last legs, so to speak. The list was milk, bread, eggs, yogurt, cheese, and fresh veg. With the jeans, it came to $150. Gah!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:24:46 AM by Dicey »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2024, 09:48:15 AM »
I took some more ground beef and turkey out of the freezer for bulk cooking this week. I also had some triple cream brie frozen, which tends to actually freeze and thaw okay I find.

I'm minimally interested in thawing anything else right now because it's a lot of food that I don't normally eat. I have cured meats, pate, prepared meals like cabbage rolls, veggies burgers, etc, etc. Just not stuff that would normally make it into my food rotation.

Even regularly cooking meat has been strange because I've cooked almost exclusively vegetarian for 8 years.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2024, 11:07:09 AM »
Yay! Progress. Came home over lunch and did some rapid cooking before hoping onto a zoom call. Got lentils boiled and have 1/2 simmering bbq sauce out of the freezer. We’ll serve tonight or tomorrow with sheet pan fries and veg. The other 1/2 of the lentils got turned into a shepherds pie that is topped with 1/2 of the potatoes that are on my list to use.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2024, 02:25:03 PM »
Tonight freezer use up will be simple:

1 pkg of bacon for BLT's

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2024, 06:59:26 PM »
Progress feels very slow.  I'm glad I have this visual reminder to keep me motivated. 

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baked potatoes (10) (9) 8
granola (6) 5

[/quote]

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2024, 08:01:55 AM »
We did great on this challenge for this week, but no progress on the Rancho Gordo beans yet :(  I have ideas for lentils and white beans in the coming week, though. I find having this challenge and knowing I'll want to report something is motivating--hope it lasts!

The frozen turkey breast from November became:
  turkey and boxed mashed potatoes (used the last of the box from the pantry)
  turkey and gnocchi soup (gnocchi from pantry, stock from turkey breast, dried parsley from pantry in place of kale called for in recipe)
  turkey pot pie (stock from freezer from Thanksgiving's turkey, frozen veggies, puff pastry from who knows when)
DD made chicken stir fry and used cans of baby corn and water chestnuts from the pantry.
I made overnight oats for breakfast and began using a stash of chia seeds in the fridge--2 tbsp oats, 2 tbsp chia, 1/2 cup almond milk that I like   having around but am bad about using up

I'm happy with our progress, but we're pretty over poultry at this point. The soup comes from the Chicken, Gnocchi and Kale soup from Budget Bytes that's great this time of year. I substitute/add items liberally.

Coming up this week - stewed lentils over sweet potatoes for lunch, and white bean soup with ham (Christmas ham leftover from freezer).

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2024, 08:10:31 AM »
@Serendip Regarding applesauce. Could be used in place of oil in baking recipes 1:1--muffins or cornbread? I'd leave out or halve the sugar. I also like a couple of spoonfuls in my overnight oats, but could stir into hot oatmeal, too. Sorry, I have nothing more creative than that! We usually just eat it as a side, plain.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2024, 08:42:49 AM »
Specific items I'm listing here to be accountable that they get eaten in the next week. Just typing this is affirming and I've got ideas and plans now. We never eat things out of a can

- can of chicken noodle soup
- can of creamy chicken and rice soup
- almond flour flatbread mix
- frozen chicken strips
- can of cranberry jelly

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2024, 09:47:06 AM »
This qualifies for multiple threads, but here we are. I had two apples to use up, one of which had a significant mushy bruise. I cut out the bruise and the rest was fine. I went spelunking in the garage fridge* and found a very expired box of pie crusts. You know, the kind you're supposed to keep in the freezer? Then I noticed half a bottle of apple cider left over from an early December event. I used all of it to make a small, no-sugar added apple pie, topped with peppermint whipped cream**, purchased after the holidays at deep discount. It was heavenly.

[This is where you look away if you're squeamish.]

Remember that salty Cowboy Chili Cornbead thing I made yesterday? It was supposed to make three meals. I carefully covered the pan of leftovers and set aside to cool a bit. You know where this is going...and promptly forgot about it. I quickly stuck it in the garage fridge, which is colder. After some back-and-forth with Mr. Dicey, we figured since it was vegetarian, salty as hell, and because our house is cold, it would probably be all right, so that was our entree. Surprisingly,  it didn't seen quite so salty after the flavors had melded on our counter.

A new day has dawned, and we're both fine, hooray!

* DH and I play a game when we look at Open Houses, which we do often. If there's a counter-depth refrigerator in the kitchen, there's virtually always a back-up in the garage.

** We got a good laugh at the can of whipped cream, when we noticed the label says one can contains 74 servings. Ha!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2024, 03:37:49 PM »
Slogging away through the carbs
Tomorrow will clear out the last of the egg bites (I'm so sick of them, but I hate food waste).  I think I will make breakfast tacos by mushing them into some corn tortillas (large package in fridge, so still on task) with some avocados.

Superbowl dinner will be wings for the lad and "Big Mac Salads" for DH and I.

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3 2
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2 1
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baked potatoes (10) (9) 8 6
granola (6) 5

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2024, 03:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the ideas for applesauce. I've been eating it with oatmeal or as dessert on it's own. Making good progress and enjoying it.

Today I made sweet potato chocolate pudding and since my SO came home with covid (he was traveling and has been quarantined in the bedroom since getting home 3 days ago), I am still 100% in charge of meals so he is getting pantry meals regardless of preference. Feeling....powerful. :)

Will have a version of this tonight
https://www.budgetbytes.com/garlic-parmesan-kale-pasta/
--we have lots of garden kale & pesto frozen...and pasta in the pantry.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2024, 06:19:24 PM »
More progress!

I have pumpkin pie bars in the oven. Used up the last cup of graham cracker crumbs that have been sitting around for about a year, the last 1/2 cup of almond flour and all but the last tablespoon of tapioca. I skimped on the ginger because I have another recipe in mind that calls for it and I don’t plan to buy more before the move.

Used the last of the beef bullion.

Husband has made more progress on the cranberry syrup. He also finished off another pound of 7 grain cereal. It’s fairly new so hadn’t made it to my hit list but it’s one less pound to move and means we’re not buying other cereals.

I used 1/2 the very-out-of-date curry paste and will toss the rest. I must have finished off the split peas in my last clean out, so I had to make curried lentils. Still delicious.

I tossed the last of a pack of dried milk. Our toddler is allergic. We had been occasionally using it in adult only food but that is too rare and too difficult so it’s time to let it go.

Little things add up!

Odd items to use up:
- [ ] 2 cups coconut flakes -I have a recipe chosen, just have to get time.
- [ ] Plant based whipping cream
- [ ] Vegan dip (weird flavor and texture. Ate half and tossed half of one. Have a second different flavor left).
- [ ] 1/3 cup 1 1/2 tbsp granulated tapioca
- [ ] 1/2 case each of single serve jelly and pb
- [ ] Herbs in the hydro garden.
- [ ] Instant rice - 2cups?
- [ ] Instant mashed potatoes - 2-3 servings  underestimated. Used half. Still 2-3 servings left.
- [ ] Cranberry syrup 1/2 used!
- [ ] 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- [ ] Peppercorns (I just want to use enough out of the grinder to make room for the 1/4 inch of peppercorns left in the bulk container)
- [ ] Flavored rice that has dairy in it (kid is allergic.)
-
  • 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs (Sally baking pumpkin bars)

-
  • Beef bullion

-
  • A curry mix packet

-
  • 1/2 cup almond flour

-
  • Lemon granules (tossed)

-
  • 1/2 c peanut butter

-
  • Several partial packets of hard candy from an event ( took them to work and filled my admins candy dish)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2024, 08:24:48 AM »
I've made minimal progress (but, I have stayed on top of our general food waste/leftovers - just not enough to dip into our freezer/pantry stash).

My goal for this week:
-Use up 2 cans of green beans in various dishes
-Use up the second container of chicken pesto pasta

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2024, 09:11:56 AM »
Off to bougie dumpster diving again today, will add more to the freezer stock.

I feel like I'm failing miserably.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2024, 11:10:26 AM »

I feel like I'm failing miserably.

I've made minimal progress (but, I have stayed on top of our general food waste/leftovers - just not enough to dip into our freezer/pantry stash).

Or maybe the switching around of food can be it's own sort of success? :)

I just did a big morning in the kitchen. Made baked oatmeal with applesauce and used goji & inca berries instead of cherries..so great! https://www.budgetbytes.com/wprm_print/31363

Also cooked a loaf of bread with some buttermilk (just about to come out of oven so fingers crossed it turned out okay)
I prepped some lentils & boiled potatoes & roasted garlic to make a vegan shepherd's pie either tonight or tomorrow (and even made coconut milk out of shredded coconut)
Chuffed.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »
I’ve made some progress. It even seems less overwhelming, and I’ve been able to make an inventory.

STAPLES
[] oatmeal (42 oz)
[] chickpeas (7 cans) (5 cans)
[] black beans (73 oz) (57 oz)
[] spilt green peas (20 oz)
[] diced tomatoes (5 cans) (4 cans)
[] brown lentils (1/2 container) (1/3 container)
[] red lentils (1/3 container)
[] quinoa (2/3 container)
[] polenta (1 meal?)

CANNED
[] refried beans (2 cans)
[] coconut milk (3 cans)
[] tomato paste (1 can)
[] enchilada sauce (1 can)
[] mandarin oranges (1 can)
[] turkey gravy (1 jar)
[] stuffing (1 box)
[] cranberry sauce (1 can)
lentil soup (1 can)
broth (1 quart)

PANTRY
[] chopped walnuts (1 packet)
[] almonds (16 oz)
[] peanuts (1 good snack)
[] pine nuts (a couple salads)
[] peanut butter (1/2 jar)
[] tahini (1/8 jar)
[] maple syrup (1/2 jar)
[] nutritional yeast (a couple sprinkle)
Dijon mustard

FRIDGE
[] ranch dressing
[] balsamic dressing
[] shiitake sesame dressing
Caesar dressing
pimento cheeze spread
tonic water
whipped cream
butter

FREEZER
[] blueberries