Author Topic: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge  (Read 6688 times)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
Re: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2024, 04:06:34 AM »
@Dicey- well done with the mac and cheese, and truly in the "spirit" of the challenge! 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2024, 07:48:09 AM »
We're actually taking a break from the bougie-dumpster-diving for a bit because so much of what we get is meat, and after being >90% vegetarian for the last 8+ years, I get intolerant of eating meat too regularly, especially beef.

Anyhoo, taking a break means more opportunity to work through what's in the freezer since I'm not constantly adding to it.

Time to focus on working through what's in the pantry, which is dried legumes and canned goods.

The nice thing is that getting back to plant-based means that it's actually more appealing to have an occasional cured meat or pate because I'm not eating meat every day.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2024, 09:24:11 AM »
We had garlicky spaghetti w/ kale last night, sounds blasé but was delicious.  I can't remember if someone shared this recipe here or on a different thread but we have lots of frozen kale so it's helpful to have more ways to use it up.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/garlic-parmesan-kale-pasta/

I might make sesame kale with the leftover handfuls.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2024, 10:50:42 AM »
We’ve done so well eating up pantry and freezer items.  I am so pleased. I did give up and pack some of the odd items. I packed all but a few spices yesterday. If we follow my meal plan this week we’ll have 7 canned items to pack. Two cans of pumpkin and 5 of coconut milk. Not bad at all, especially when so much of the rest of the pantry is bare!

Available meals:
1-2 servings of grits with cheese and salsa
1 serving oatmeal
French toast with jam
Eggs on toast with salsa
Sausage egg sandwiches
Spinach salad
Shakshouka
Kielbasa, peppers and onions, rice
Freezer stir fry kit
Chicken tenders, roasted potatoes, green beans
6 servings various leftovers

Odd bits that aren’t planned but could or should be used:
1-2 servings of Lima beans
1/4 frozen chocolate pie
1/4 cup ranch dip
2 pounds russet potatoes
1 1/2 c Mexican rice
1 cup instant rice
1 weird vegan dip - I just have to admit it’s a loss and toss it.
A couple tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp sesame oil

I did stop at the grocery this morning for milk for my child, bread, fresh fruit and veg, and the kielbasa. I also picked up a free case of bottled water (reward for doing a store survey). It’s good timing, as we’ll be able to offer it to moving help.

I have two heat-and-eat meals left at work, along with a couple scoops of coffee and 4 coffee filters! That should work out really well for my 2.5 days left in that office.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2024, 03:50:49 PM »
Today's used up consisted of:

1 quarter of a ham
1 box of Au Gratin Potato

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2024, 10:06:48 AM »
Last night was another successfully foraged meal. What's surprising is how I'm finally starting to see a difference. I compare it to compound interest.  Progress seems slow at first, but after enough time, it zooms.

I just realized I haven't done a full pantry clean out since we bought the house ten+ years ago. It's supposed to rain at the end of the week, so I've just about convinced DH to help out with this monstrous task (it's a very tall walk-in pantry). If we pull it off, there will be pictures. Fingers crossed.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2024, 02:16:18 PM »
We spent $9.16 at the grocery store yesterday for this week's meals.  A cabbage, some cans of diced fiery tomatoes that were on super sale, a canteloupe, and a stalk of celery and we made 16 servings of Weight Loss Wonder soup from Diva's can Cook with things already on hand.  We froze 12 servings for later.

https://divascancook.com/wonder-soup-recipe-weight-loss-soup-7-day-diet-cabbage-soup/

Since we are heading to Puerto Rico this week, we only have 2 nights to get through and one night there's still a bagged salad we can serve.  The pantry is down to a single level of canned goods, which is great. The freezer older items got used up for the most part, so that is a positive result as well.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2024, 05:07:55 AM »
Last night's use up was:

Taco Kit from the pantry
1 1b hamburg from the freezer

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2024, 05:08:21 PM »
@Dicey --yes, pictures please!

I found a source of the dreaded pantry moth...seems that they got into my quinoa (in a glass jar but the lid wasn't closed tightly and those little buggers squeezed through).

I'm going to make buckwheat millet bread (from a cookbook by Amy Chaplin) which uses those two ingredients as well as oats & psyllium husks which I have. * saw there is a modification with carrots & turmeric which I will try

Also am roasting sweet potatoes and might roast carrots since I have a bag in the bottom of the fridge  (and maybe make a carrot & ginger sauce for a grain bowl).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:11:42 PM by Serendip »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2024, 05:16:22 PM »
It hasn't happened yet. Today we're rearranging/redistributing furniture in three rooms of the house.

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2024, 06:38:30 PM »
Updating for the last time for February. Glad I joined in--used a lot of old stuff in the pantry and some from the freezer. This week's progress: Took cans of soup that were sitting in the pantry for months to work for lunch. Made smoothies to use up beets, riced cauliflower and fruit from the freezer. Finished bags of Costco breaded chicken and tilapia, and served both with frozen peas (so many bags of peas!)

Never did make the lentils though...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2024, 07:04:02 PM »
We did so well! I give up on updating a list. It’s too hard to edit forum things on my phone.

We’ll focus on freezer foods and leftovers for the next few days. I’m done working on any shelf stable items specifically unless we need it for the fresh/frozen meal. 

I baked the last packet of muffins and cooked the last of the breakfast sausage this morning while my grits casserole baked. Tomorrow we’ll likely just eat a variety of leftovers.

Again, I’m so pleased to have reduced the amount we have to move. I haven’t measured but I am fairly certain we also reduced our food waste and food spending as well. I enjoyed the challenge.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2024, 07:15:35 PM »
- Thanksgiving turkey - turkey pot pie
- Ground turkey and pinto beans - chili for the Super Bowl!
- Ground chicken - I can't remember any go-to recipes for ground chicken, so I'll have to peruse my stash
- Ground beef - meatloaf
- Make vegetable stock from saved veggie scraps
- Pulled pork - find a recipe that uses pulled pork, or divide it up for salads
- Find a non-chili dish for rest of pinto beans

Made it!

I almost lied to you and counted the more recently purchased ground pork/collard greens I used from the freezer last night.  But I persevered and made meatballs with the ground chicken and pinto beans tonight.  My freezer is now full of meals instead of packages of meat, yippee.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: February 29, 2024, 04:33:32 AM »
last night's use it spree included:

2 steaks from the freezer
1 box of shells and cheese from pantry
1 can of veggies from pantry

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: February 29, 2024, 06:18:23 AM »
I'm also doing a no-grocery shopping, ultra low spend month. We bought bananas for DH and cabbage the other day, because I needed it to make BK's favorite recipe, but then he cancelled our dinner date. Oops. Other than that $6 spree and the one small mid-month Costco run, it looked like we were going to make it, but there's a last-day dilemma. DH bought a 10-ton jack off Craigslist, and we have to drive an hour+ to pick it up today. There's a lovely Winco near our destination, and I'm dying to restock some of their awesome bulk-bin staples. We don't have a Winco nearby, so the temptation to bundle this errand into today's trek is mighty.

DH has been searching for a good, used 10-ton jack ever since we bought our RV in 2020, and a storm threatening blizzard conditions is expected tomorrow. I think I'm going to cave on the last day of the challenge.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 29, 2024, 06:37:12 AM »
Last day of the month, and the only things left from day one are:

3 servings roasted potatoes
5 servings red lentil pasta
6 bagels (freezer)
2 pieces of naan (freezer)

Will be starting with those for the March challenge, as well as adding in some other items.  This challenge really helped to focus my efforts and brought down the grocery bill for the month!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #166 on: February 29, 2024, 10:40:59 AM »
I made a lot of progress over the month.  I still have several different staples hanging around. Five more weeks until the move, and I'm pretty sure I can get through everything but the rice and beans.

STAPLES
[] oatmeal (42 oz) (3 cups less!)
[] chickpeas (7 cans)(5 cans)  (3 cans)
[] black beans (73 oz) (57 oz)
[] spilt green peas (20 oz)
[] diced tomatoes (5 cans) (4 cans) (2 cans)
[] brown lentils (1/2 container) (1/3 container)
[] red lentils (1/3 container) 1/8 container)
[] quinoa (2/3 container)
polenta

CANNED
[] refried beans (2 cans) (1 can)
[] tomato paste (1 can)
[] mandarin oranges (1 can)
enchilada sauce
coconut milk
turkey gravy
stuffing
cranberry sauce
lentil soup
broth

PANTRY
[] chopped walnuts (1 packet)
[] almonds (16 oz) (14 oz)
[] pine nuts (a couple salads)
[] peanut butter (1/2 jar)
[] maple syrup (1/2 jar)
[] nutritional yeast (a couple sprinkle)
tahini
Dijon mustard
peanuts

FRIDGE
[] ranch dressing
[] balsamic dressing
[] shiitake sesame dressing
yogurt
Protein drink
Applesauce
Caesar dressing
pimento cheeze spread
tonic water
whipped cream
butter

FREEZER
[] black beans w/ chipotle flavor
[] cheeze shreds
[] pot pie
[] peas & carrots
[] chipotles in adobo sauce
[] tomato paste
spinach
frozen corn
blueberries
tomato sauce
curry paste
Kale
Bananas (tossed ‘em, they were gross)
Frozen mixed veggies
perogies
kielbasa

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 29, 2024, 12:11:04 PM »
Good progress everyone!

-Cooked some dried chickpeas yesterday so will make a red-pepper hummus later today
-brought another applesauce from the freezer for another batch of baked oatmeal

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: February 29, 2024, 06:10:53 PM »
I'm also doing a no-grocery shopping, ultra low spend month. We bought bananas for DH and cabbage the other day, because I needed it to make BK's favorite recipe, but then he cancelled our dinner date. Oops. Other than that $6 spree and the one small mid-month Costco run, it looked like we were going to make it, but there's a last-day dilemma. DH bought a 10-ton jack off Craigslist, and we have to drive an hour+ to pick it up today. There's a lovely Winco near our destination, and I'm dying to restock some of their awesome bulk-bin staples. We don't have a Winco nearby, so the temptation to bundle this errand into today's trek is mighty.

DH has been searching for a good, used 10-ton jack ever since we bought our RV in 2020, and a storm threatening blizzard conditions is expected tomorrow. I think I'm going to cave on the last day of the challenge.

UPDATE: DH bought the 10-ton jack for $100. It needs a little work, but entirely within DH's skill set. The jack was heavy as hell and the buyer and seller had a heck of a time loading it, while I expertly supervised.

Then we were off to Winco and Costco. Here's the good news: DH remembered we have rebate checks from Costco and Citibank, totaling $371. We cashed them at Costco and used some of the excess cash at Winco. We still have money left over, so I'm calling it a win.

When we arrived home, it was insanely easy to stow all the groceries.  No jenga-ing required and still room left on the shelves. That's a direct result of the February Pantry/Freezer Challenge, and for that I thank you very much.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #169 on: February 29, 2024, 06:47:38 PM »

Your 2023 Costco spend trumps ours!  The check we received was $180....which I clearly need to buy something for $20 and get cash back for the rest.  Winco is cheaper than Costco, right?

UPDATE: DH bought the 10-ton jack for $100. It needs a little work, but entirely within DH's skill set. The jack was heavy as hell and the buyer and seller had a heck of a time loading it, while I expertly supervised.

Then we were off to Winco and Costco. Here's the good news: DH remembered we have rebate checks from Costco and Citibank, totaling $371. We cashed them at Costco and used some of the excess cash at Winco. We still have money left over, so I'm calling it a win.

When we arrived home, it was insanely easy to stow all the groceries.  No jenga-ing required and still room left on the shelves. That's a direct result of the February Pantry/Freezer Challenge, and for that I thank you very much.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2024, 06:54:51 PM »
I think you can just cash in the Costco check at the membership desk, no need to buy anything (unless you want to).

I spent my paltry $75 on Costco stuff :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #171 on: February 29, 2024, 08:01:53 PM »
I think you can just cash in the Costco check at the membership desk, no need to buy anything (unless you want to).

I spent my paltry $75 on Costco stuff :)
THE TRICK IS TO CASH THE CHECK(S), then charge your new purchases. Otherwise, you don't get the rebate on the new purchases. Sometimes they ask you to buy a single item, then they give you the balance in cash. They do that because the IRS keeps making noise about making the rebates taxable, which Costco is resisting. The person helping us today was wearing a Gold Badge. When I saw that, I knew he wouldn't make us jump through hoops, and he didn't.

For the record, we spent $193 at Costco, of which $38 was frivolous (a hooded Columbia sun shirt for each of us). The Winco total was $70. That leaves us $108 to the good. I can live with that. Also, I purchased only ingredients. Yay me.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2024, 08:33:52 PM »
THE TRICK IS TO CASH THE CHECK(S), then charge your new purchases. Otherwise, you don't get the rebate on the new purchases.

Damn, you would think I'm a rookie, cuz I didn't figure this out myself. Oh well. Only missed out on $3.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2024, 05:59:12 AM »
Our store makes you buy something-so I usually do the $20 and rest cash back. Got to get those points again.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2024, 09:55:36 AM »
Our store makes you buy something-so I usually do the $20 and rest cash back. Got to get those points again.

Lame.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2024, 10:08:42 AM »
Hot tip from my Costco brother this morning! You can apply your Citibank refund check directly to your Citibank account! It requires that you have autopay and the Citi app, but it can be done! To be crystal clear, this only applies if you have the Costco/Citibank card. It doesn't work for the Costco rebate.

Just for fun, I asked him what his rebate was. He said it was kinda small, but the next one would be bigger. How small? $1,100. Eeks! He said they charge everything on it. I only use mine at Costco, which makes a difference. I also don't have a kid in college, which probably also has some impact, lol.

Shuchong

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2024, 04:38:09 PM »
We had garlicky spaghetti w/ kale last night, sounds blasé but was delicious.  I can't remember if someone shared this recipe here or on a different thread but we have lots of frozen kale so it's helpful to have more ways to use it up.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/garlic-parmesan-kale-pasta/

I might make sesame kale with the leftover handfuls.

This looks delicious!  I have a ton of frozen kale from last year's garden and look forward to using it up with something like this.