Author Topic: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge  (Read 6613 times)

comicguy

• Stubble
Re: February Pantry/Freezer Challenge
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2024, 04:23:12 AM »
Used up some stuff for Superbowl snacks

2 boxes of bagle bites
1 partial box of jalepeono poppers
1 partial box of moz sticks

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2024, 06:25:18 AM »
- Thanksgiving turkey - turkey pot pie
- Ground turkey and pinto beans - chili for the Super Bowl!
- Ground chicken - I can't remember any go-to recipes for ground chicken, so I'll have to peruse my stash
- Ground beef - meatloaf
- Make vegetable stock from saved veggie scraps
- Pulled pork - find a recipe that uses pulled pork, or divide it up for salads
- Find a non-chili dish for rest of pinto beans

Super Bowl chili made.  Also used up all my frozen tomatoes, so I can start collecting more.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2024, 07:50:52 AM »
I've made minimal progress (but, I have stayed on top of our general food waste/leftovers - just not enough to dip into our freezer/pantry stash).

My goal for this week:
-Use up 2 cans of green beans in various dishes
-Use up the second container of chicken pesto pasta

We now have Super Bowl food to get through, but I've set out the chicken pesto pasta to defrost for dinner tonight, as well as two cans of green beans. I'll serve them with slivered almonds & shaved parmesan (otherwise known as Thanksgiving green beans at our house)

Thrallama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2024, 12:07:23 PM »
Off to bougie dumpster diving again today, will add more to the freezer stock.

I feel like I'm failing miserably.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I got more meat on clearance at the grocery store on Sunday, and added that to the freezer.

I also forgot to skip my meal delivery box this week, so have those meals to work through as well.

The process of using up food goes so slowly when I'm one person rather than a household!

Shuchong

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2024, 01:27:46 PM »
Joining late!  I thought there was no point in me doing this challenge, because I was going to be gone for a work trip half the month.  But then I ended up getting Covid, so no work trip, no grocery store, and almost no ready-made food in the house (since I was planning to be gone).  I also have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer in my garage about half full with garden produce:

snow peas (5 galleons or so)
broccoli (4 quarts)
cauliflower (8 quarts)
parsley pesto (4 quarts)
kale (so much kale)
roasted turnips (7 quarts)
sauteed chard (8 quarts)
wild blueberries (10 cups)
wild lingonberries (4 cups)
brussel sprout stems (1 large grocery bag... my weirdo dog loves these)

The goal is to have the chest freezer cleaned out or transferred to my kitchen freezer by April, so that I can defrost, clean, and give the chest freezer a rest until the next harvest. 

First up: pureed cauliflower soup, using 5 quarts of cauliflower, 1 quart of parsley pesto, some leftover chicken broth, canned coconut milk, plus an onion and some garlic and whatever spices seem good.  I may have to freeze some of this, but it will take up much less volume than the current blanched frozen cauliflower florets. 

Second up: I have a large dish of fried rice (I made it for family, they dropped it back off to me after I got sick), and can spice it up with snow peas and roasted turnips whenever I eat a bit. 

Third up: If anyone has recommendations for using up literal galleons of blanched snow peas, I am all ears. I usually just use them as sides, but I have so many...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2024, 06:14:21 PM »
Off to bougie dumpster diving again today, will add more to the freezer stock.

I feel like I'm failing miserably.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I got more meat on clearance at the grocery store on Sunday, and added that to the freezer.

I also forgot to skip my meal delivery box this week, so have those meals to work through as well.

The process of using up food goes so slowly when I'm one person rather than a household!

To be fair, I don't get a say over how much food the bougie dumpster diving place gives me. That's how I end up with so much stuff that I would never buy, and why I'm not motivated to eat it.

I get way more than my $40 worth in terms of the meat, eggs, milk, produce, and bread that I get. The stuff that goes into the freezer is just the extras that I would happily decline, but they seriously make it easier to just take it than to try and decline it.

It's all food that would be garbage otherwise, and a good chunk of it is already bad, I just don't know until I defrost it. None of it is anything that I would buy otherwise, hence my lack of motivation to defrost it, figure out if it's good, and try to figure out what to do with it.

So, like, I have a package of "mushroom crumble" whatever that is, a few veggie burger patties, ultra processed meals and side dishes, cured meats, pate, things like that.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2024, 06:59:12 PM »
managed to finish off the cooked lentils and the tail end of a tube of tomato paste.  Tomorrow's dinner will be veggie enchiladas.  Made a batch of enchilada sauce tonight and will use that tomorrow with some roasted potatoes (made tonight with dinner, corn from the freezer, can of green chiles from pantry, 1/2 of red onion from the fridge and scallions and corn tortillas from the fridge.  And will top it off with some cheese in the fridge!! 

Freezer/fridge:
mushroom and wild rice soup (2) 1
chili (2)
lentil bolognese (3) (2) 1
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3 2
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2 1
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baking potatoes (10) (9) 8 6 4
red lentil quinoa pasta (6)
granola (6) 5 4

That stuff is all on the first tier; once completed, will move into next stage (other pantry and freezer items)

*will be turning red as I finish things*

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2024, 07:43:14 PM »
Did my first biggish grocery shop today but am very happy with how this challenge has been going (my partner was distressed about the lack of cheese and tortilla chips in the house so I bought snacks & treats)

Today I prepped a mushroom lentil shepherds pie (to be baked tomorrow) so used up lentils, kombu, potatoes, sage, coconut flakes (made into milk)..

Will definitely make another batch of the baked oatmeal w/applesauce since that was a wonderful use of all sorts of food items and made one more batch of sweet potato chocolate pudding..

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2024, 04:26:17 AM »
Last nights meal consisted of chilli that was premade in early Jan from a large batch (still have a few more containers of it in the freezer!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2024, 07:19:40 AM »
Freezer:
-2 very old cheeseburgers. May need to be tossed.
-Fish sticks
-Corn dogs - 6 used up
-Cranberries - 1 bag used up (I made muffins)
-Pesto pasta - Both containers out of the freezer & used up

Pantry:

-Potatoes - used up in a Greek veggie bake
-2 cans of coconut milk
-2 cans of green beans - used in last night's dinner

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2024, 12:31:16 PM »
- can of chicken noodle soup has been placed on the counter as a suggestion to get eaten today
- can of creamy chicken and rice soup
- almond flour flatbread mix
- frozen chicken strips working on
-can of cranberry jelly
-more freezer cheese

Thank goodness its only been 3 days since I posted this list. I've been feeling like a failure. Bought some $0.50 pints of ice cream, the freezer is full again. Bought too many chips and breads for a superbowl party and other people left food items here. We are drowning in food!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2024, 04:20:30 AM »
This challenge has been eye opening for me.  I have realized that while I like carbs (pasta, potato, granola, bread, bagels etc), they are not what I choose first as evidenced by how they are languishing on the list.  Halfway through the month and I am struggling to eat them, but had no trouble powering through the produce and yogurt.  It also doesn't help that DS and DH have decided to go strict low carb, so it is all on me.....

Anyway, made a delicious veggie enchilada bake which used up some potatoes, a can of black beans, some freezer corn, some cabbage and other odds and ends of cheese and most of a package of corn tortillas.  It will be my dinner for at least 4-5 nights.

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3 2
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2 1
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baking potatoes (10) (9) 8 6 4
red lentil quinoa pasta (6)
granola (6) 5 4

That stuff is all on the first tier; once completed, will move into next stage (other pantry and freezer items)

[/quote]

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2024, 05:56:13 AM »
I went to the Civil War Museum in Richmond,VA over the weekend. Inflation for southerners caused food riots and flour was $6 for a small barrel. Having a stocked pantry just meant you would get raided by one side of the military or the other.

A stocked pantry is an inflation hedge.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2024, 09:29:14 AM »
Anyway, made a delicious veggie enchilada bake which used up some potatoes, a can of black beans, some freezer corn, some cabbage and other odds and ends of cheese and most of a package of corn tortillas.  It will be my dinner for at least 4-5 nights.

This sounds like a great option...I don't have the tortillas but I do have masa harina and a tortilla press.

My partner wasn't super impressed with our V-day dinner of lentil shepherd's pie.. it was somewhat tasty but also felt a bit basic (even with hot sauce added). Tonight will be a chili he made with mostly freezer/pantry items (frozen tomatos, beans, frozen ground beef, all the spices, etc. Maybe I can make cornbread muffins to go with..

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2024, 10:45:21 AM »
@Serendip- maybe you can make tortillas for the enchilidas from your masa harina and then fry some into chips to top your chili?

for the record- enchiladas were delicious and I followed @Dicey's lead and made homemade enchilada sauce, killing off a tube of tomato paste!

Made a chopped greek salad today with "chik'n" to use up the produce as I am out of town this weekend and I know the fellas won't touch it without my prompting.  Have leftovers for lunch tomorrow, but this finished off a packet of crumbled feta as well as the tomatoes on their last legs.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2024, 07:56:01 PM »
At this rate I'll still be in the Feb challenge next Feb.

-----------------------------

Specific this week items identified:

-can of chicken noodle soup
-can of creamy chicken and rice soup was denounced and needs a new plan
-almond flour flatbread mix plan to cook by Sunday
-frozen GF chicken strips further working on
-can of cranberry jelly
-more freezer cheese

Other items eaten:
-last of the freezer chicken breasts
-can of refried beans

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2024, 02:22:28 AM »
Made shepard's pie last night

Used up:
1 can of corn
1 partial box of mashed potatoes
1 pkg of hamburger

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2024, 05:04:50 AM »
At this rate I'll still be in the Feb challenge next Feb.

Same, friend, same.

I have both won and lost this challenge.  Have made a ton of progress eating through the identified target foods for the month.  And....there have been good sales on the things my family eats regularly, so the freezer has been restocked and if anything is MORE full than when we started.  I know it will all get eaten as we rarely throw food away.  But, sheesh....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2024, 08:46:20 AM »
I've done well staying on top of fridge leftovers, and as a bonus, we've also made additional progress on freezer items that weren't on the original list (original list was intended to address things that are older & need to get moved out).

That said, I have the following goals over the next few days. (Depending on the results of DS16 league finals tomorrow, we will either need to adjust our ski trip, or can go as planned)
-Use up one old cheeseburger
-Use up four corndogs (feed them to hungry teens)

If I'm home & not skiing, I'll plan to make a peanut noodle/chicken dish that uses up a can of coconut milk.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2024, 08:55:38 AM »
Might pull out some frozen veggie burgers/buns for a lazy dinner plan..

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2024, 09:27:41 AM »
Someone on another thread gave a link to a basic marinara recipe on YT. I tried it last night, tripling the recipe to use up more pantry staples. It turned out very well. We could survive for the rest of the month on homemade pizza if need be. Except: I jarred up five quarts of sauce, set them on the counter to cool, and promptly forgot about them, arrrgh! I put them in the freezer this morning. I'm hoping if I boil the sauce again before using it, it won't kill us. ARRRRRGH!

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2024, 03:12:38 AM »
Yesterdays use up:

2 lobster tails
1 pkg of Ben's microwave rice

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2024, 06:11:06 AM »
Progress!

Made this lovely Dutch baby for breakfast and whipped up most of the plant cream. It whipped beautifully. We have tons left. I think I’ll turn it into some kind of jello pudding pop or some frozen dessert in order to allow us more time to eat it. https://www.countrycrock.com/en-us/recipe/peach-bourbon-dutch-baby-236524

I haven’t put canned items on my list because they’re easy to donate at the little pantry down the block if we don’t want to move them. That said, yesterday I made a soup using 4.5 cans, and this morning I used a can of peaches on the Dutch baby. I’ll finish off the .5 can of coconut milk later today in a coconut rice recipe I have planned. I really don’t have many canned items left, just a couple cans of pumpkin or coconut milk, both are staples and not hard to use. I’m focused a little more on things in glass.

We’re doing well at not bringing in extra and cooking what we have.

I think I’ll make another veggie shepherds pie to finish off the potato flakes and a can of corn among other ingredients.

I also used up the last tablespoon of tapioca yesterday by just adding it to a soup to thicken it.

My husband used the last pack of deep discount rice noodles. They weren’t on the top of my list but it is one less thing to move.

I did sort thru the cupboards yesterday and made a game plan for the next few meals. I’ll use up the Panko bread crumbs and the dregs of some spices for lunch along with the last of a huge head of cabbage.

I washed out the crisper drawer yesterday. So satisfying!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2024, 06:13:52 AM »
DH made me one of the prepared meals from the freezer yesterday.

We got a few things from bougie-dumpster-diving last week that I'll absolutely use, particularly 2 personal-size salmon pot pies. I've had one before and they're awesome.

I'm also going to sort through some of the stuff that's in there and just toss what I know I won't use. I'm not ever going to use the cold cuts, I don't play chicken with expiry dates with cold cuts, and because they give them to us frozen, I have no idea what state they were in when they were frozen. So those have to go.

I think if I get rid of the stuff I absolutely will not use, I will be maybe more included to use up some of the other stuff because it won't just look like a pile of "I don't want that."

To be fair, this isn't a huge mass of food. This takes up a quadrant of the small freezer in my fridge. But I normally don't keep anything in my freezer except for corn, edamame, chopped spinach, and pesto.

I don't like looking into a freezer and having to sort through stuff to figure out what I want to use.

I'm very Konmari about everything in my house, I like to know where everything is at all times and for everything to have a clear purpose.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2024, 06:27:27 AM »
- Thanksgiving turkey - turkey pot pie
- Ground turkey and pinto beans - chili for the Super Bowl!
- Ground chicken - I can't remember any go-to recipes for ground chicken, so I'll have to peruse my stash
- Ground beef - meatloaf
- Make vegetable stock from saved veggie scraps
- Pulled pork - find a recipe that uses pulled pork, or divide it up for salads
- Find a non-chili dish for rest of pinto beans

Down to one item!

My goal is not an empty freezer, just to use the meats and a few beans I accidentally stockpiled.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »
I've done well staying on top of fridge leftovers, and as a bonus, we've also made additional progress on freezer items that weren't on the original list (original list was intended to address things that are older & need to get moved out).

That said, I have the following goals over the next few days. (Depending on the results of DS16 league finals tomorrow, we will either need to adjust our ski trip, or can go as planned)
-Use up one old cheeseburger - had to trash both, as they were freezer burned
-Use up four corndogs (feed them to hungry teens)

If I'm home & not skiing, I'll plan to make a peanut noodle/chicken dish that uses up a can of coconut milk.

Still waiting to see if we'll be around next week, and our menu plan. Last night, we ate leftover chicken curry from the freezer, and I've continued to eat the NYE cheese leftovers. I set out a charcuterie tray last night with various leftovers, so that worked well.

Avolonte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2024, 04:40:59 PM »
Doing OK this week. Made 1 pound dried white beans, used half for ham and bean soup. Ham was frozen leftovers from Christmas. Will use other half of beans for chicken chili. Also used some of the ham, along with a bit of languishing gruyere, in a cauliflower gratin. That dish is always a hit around here. Putting half of bean soup back in freezer and added polenta to pantry - D'oh!

Next challenge is to use up all kinds of frozen fruit, frozen riced cauliflower and dates for smoothies. We go through cycles with wanting smoothies a lot and then not at all. I'm feeling it this week, though!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2024, 08:39:48 AM »
We have a houseguest this weekend. We all went to a party where we needed to bring an appetizer. I had the guest buy a loaf of Wonder Bread, and a cucumber.  With that and things I had on hand, I made three kinds of finger sandwiches. Bonus: I won $315 at the party.*

Note: today is Feb. 18th. We're over the hump!

*The party was a dice game, similar to Bunco or Farkle. I won the jackpot and the game, yippee!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2024, 09:11:45 AM »
Recipes and congratulations! I am doing a tea party and could use cheap finger food inspiration.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2024, 12:09:27 PM »
Used more herbs from the hydro garden. The basil just keeps going wild.

Also used the last of the lentils, last of potatoes and can of corn in a shepherds pie.

Upcoming meals include:
Lots of intentional leftovers
Sheet pan sausage with roasted potatoes and green beans
Garlic sesame stir fry
Frozen stir fry kit

We’ve had that stir fry kit in the freezer for about two weeks. I keep saving it for a day when we really need something easy or don’t have other food around. I have been very motivated to be creative and delay using it! As we get to the end of the month and the end of our stored food we’ll pick up more convenience food like that to get us thru the move, but it’s been a fun challenge.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2024, 02:08:36 PM »
Today's freezer/pantry/fridge use up was the following:

1 roast
1 small partial container of sour cream
1 onion that has been lounging in the fridge a bit too long
1 almost empty jar of pickles

1 container of michigan sauce

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2024, 02:14:58 PM »
Will make a charred scallion & green bean ramen dish tonight to use up some of our frozen green beans.
https://www.mylilikoikitchen.com/2021/05/05/ramen-with-charred-scallions-green-beans-chile-oil/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2024, 09:37:09 PM »
Recipes and congratulations! I am doing a tea party and could use cheap finger food inspiration.
Recipes? Surely you jest.

I made a base using the dregs of a Costco tub of sour cream, plain whole milk yogurt, and a brick and a third of cream cheese. Used the immersion blender to smooth it, and added a little whey to get the right consistency. Let it set up in the fridge for a couple of hours.

#1 Added dill and lemon juice. Slathered it on the bread, added four hothouse cucumber slices,* then cut with a scalloped, round cookie cutter, for an open faced treat. So pretty! *Scoring the unpeeled cuke with a fork adds to the visual appeal.

#2. Drained, then finely chopped sun dried tomatoes. Stirred them into some of the base mix, slathered on the bread, then removed the crusts and cut into triangles.

#3. Egg salad with capers and olives. I used just enough of the base mix to bind it together, plus a little Dijon mustard. Prepared the same way as #2.

I only had one loaf of Wonder Bread, and it was called "Classic Style". It was all the store had. In future, I'd look for sandwich sliced WB or similar. The thicker slices made fewer sandwiches and didn't have quite the daintiness I was after. They all got eaten, so I'm happy.

Oh, and of course we scarfed up the scraps as fast as I created them. No waste there!

One more thing: I was the big winner last night, plus I got the side jackpot. I brought home $315.00! Can I spend it on groceries? Just kidding. I've made it this far, I can last until March. I've hardly made a dent in my stockpiles. There's starting to be space in my pantries [Dicey ducks for cover], but there's still plenty of inventory. I just can't stand the idea of not eating fresh veggies. For the sake of this challenge, we bought ultra pasteurized milk, because it lasts a long time. Yeeks, is it expensive...

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2024, 12:41:42 PM »

One more thing: I was the big winner last night, plus I got the side jackpot. I brought home $315.00! Can I spend it on groceries? Just kidding. I've made it this far, I can last until March. I've hardly made a dent in my stockpiles. There's starting to be space in my pantries [Dicey ducks for cover], but there's still plenty of inventory. I just can't stand the idea of not eating fresh veggies. For the sake of this challenge, we bought ultra pasteurized milk, because it lasts a long time. Yeeks, is it expensive...

congrats on the win--and definitely buy yourself some fresh veggie! This isn't a "punish yourself" thread :)

I just made another baked oatmeals using the last 1.5 cups of applesauce & also some frozen cherries. Baked oatmeal is definitely my new favourite thing!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2024, 04:30:15 AM »
back in town after visiting family.  Have leftovers from the meal on the road and was gifted some treats like coffee, chocolate and spices.  Last night was too tired to think about cooking after traveling, but had some granola and blue berries, so still on task!  That said, at this rate, I will definitely be in the March challenge as well.

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2024, 04:43:41 AM »
Another win last night, we used up:

1 Ham Steak
1 box of mac and cheese

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2024, 07:54:57 AM »
I posted in a different thread, but I'll post here too and hopefully I'll make some progress!

1 jar of Strawberry Preserves (exp 2018 but I just opened it, so I'm gonna finish it)
17 cans of soup
14 cans of soup

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2024, 08:41:19 AM »
Oh no! I found an unopened jar of Nutella I had completely forgotten about!  Better eat that up before the move!  Woe is me!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2024, 05:08:04 PM »
Freezer:
Sausage some gone
ground Impossible meat 1 pkg gone
opened bag of broccoli GONE!
opened bag of bell peppers
opened bag of roasted corn some gone
opened bag of peas

Fridge:
salad dressing almost gone
bbq sauce GONE! it had gone bad

Pantry:
canned chili
tikka masala sauce some gone
clam chowder GONE!
pasta GONE!
1 of 2 bags of dried beans some gone
2 of 4 cans of tomatoes 1 gone

Tonight's chili will have some of the peppers in; tomorrow I'll have "pea eggs". That will mean I have at least eaten *some* of everything in the "old stock" category. I can live with that. Plus, there's still 9 days left to make progress on the other stuff.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2024, 05:21:46 PM »
A little more progress. I made some vegetable soup, and bought a loaf of sourdough. I also made some red curry to use up some of the lentils. Used the polenta to make a loaf, and used it as a side to the soup and curry.

STAPLES
[] oatmeal (42 oz)
[] chickpeas (7 cans) (5 cans)
[] black beans (73 oz) (57 oz)
[] spilt green peas (20 oz)
[] diced tomatoes (5 cans) (4 cans)
[] brown lentils (1/2 container) (1/3 container)
[] red lentils (1/3 container) 1/8 container)
[] quinoa (2/3 container)
polenta

CANNED
[] refried beans (2 cans)
[] coconut milk (3 cans) (1 can)
[] tomato paste (1 can)
[] enchilada sauce (1 can)
[] mandarin oranges (1 can)
[] turkey gravy (1 jar)
[] stuffing (1 box)
[] cranberry sauce (1 can)
lentil soup (1 can)
broth (1 quart)

PANTRY
[] chopped walnuts (1 packet)
[] almonds (16 oz)
peanuts (1 good snack)
[] pine nuts (a couple salads)
[] peanut butter (1/2 jar)
[] tahini (1/8 jar)
[] maple syrup (1/2 jar)
[] nutritional yeast (a couple sprinkle)
Dijon mustard

FRIDGE
[] ranch dressing
[] balsamic dressing
[] shiitake sesame dressing
Caesar dressing
pimento cheeze spread
tonic water
whipped cream
butter

FREEZER
[] blueberries
[] black beans w/ chipotle flavor
[] cheeze shreds
[] pot pie
frozen mixed veggies
[] frozen corn
kale
[] spinach
banana tossed, they were ick
[] chipotles in adobo sauce
tomato sauce
[] tomato paste ???
curry paste
frozen peas & carrots
perogie
kielbasa
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:23:47 PM by Sailor Sam »

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2024, 04:36:56 AM »

I made Bar B Que Pork so yesterdays use up consisted of the following:

1 pork butt
1 partial container of Bar B Que sauce (sam's clib size)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2024, 09:29:37 AM »

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3 2
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2 1
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baking potatoes (10) (9) 8 6 4 3
red lentil quinoa pasta (6) 5
granola (6) 5 4 2

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2024, 12:06:59 PM »
Oh no! I found an unopened jar of Nutella I had completely forgotten about!  Better eat that up before the move!  Woe is me!

You can do it, we have faith in you!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2024, 12:12:07 PM »
Have made some decent progress so far this month but also bought a few things that were on sale (frozen fruit) since those rarely drop in price in my grocery store.

My partner is going away again next week so I'll dedicate that time to finishing up all the odds & sods but this week I'll use garden greens from the freezer and make less-eaten grains like farro, quinoa or buckwheat. I always feel like I want more variety in grains but then we don't eat it often..my SO is a rice 'n pasta kinda guy.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2024, 12:16:50 PM »
My hubs got a great bonus today - lobster tails for dinner from the freezer!  (I don't eat lobster, but he will love it.)

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2024, 06:16:14 AM »
Last night's use up consisted of:

2 chicken breast
1 bag of stir fry veggies

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2024, 11:35:30 AM »
had about 8 small potatoes that are getting a bit long in the tooth.  I did some research online and they can be frozen once cooked.  I just cubed and roasted the potatoes and will allow them to cool then freeze them for future meals. 

also roasted some chickpeas with a bit of olive oil and spices to top salads. 

So, not consumed, but preserved for future meals. 

(also finished off the wild rice/mushroom soup from freezer and some sourdough toast from freezer, so staying in the challenge!)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2024, 02:21:33 PM »
A little bit more progress. I made oatmeal cookies (ended up buying butter and eggs, dang), and a chicken dinner for me and a friend. I’m going to make an enchilada bake, to use up more rice and beans.

STAPLES
[] oatmeal (42 oz) (3 cups less!)
[] chickpeas (7 cans) (5 cans)
[] black beans (73 oz) (57 oz)
[] spilt green peas (20 oz)
[] diced tomatoes (5 cans) (4 cans)
[] brown lentils (1/2 container) (1/3 container)
[] red lentils (1/3 container) 1/8 container)
[] quinoa (2/3 container)
polenta

CANNED
[] refried beans (2 cans)
[] coconut milk (3 cans) (1 can)
[] tomato paste (1 can)
[] enchilada sauce (1 can)
[] mandarin oranges (1 can)
turkey gravy
stuffing
cranberry sauce
lentil soup
broth

PANTRY
[] chopped walnuts (1 packet)
[] almonds (16 oz)
[] pine nuts (a couple salads)
[] peanut butter (1/2 jar)
[] tahini (1/8 jar)
[] maple syrup (1/2 jar)
[] nutritional yeast (a couple sprinkle)
Dijon mustard
peanuts

FRIDGE
[] ranch dressing
[] balsamic dressing
[] shiitake sesame dressing
yogurt
Protein drink
Applesauce
Caesar dressing
pimento cheeze spread
tonic water
whipped cream
butter

FREEZER
[] blueberries
[] black beans w/ chipotle flavor
[] cheeze shreds
[] pot pie
[] frozen corn
[] spinach
[] chipotles in adobo sauce
[] tomato paste ???
tomato sauce
curry paste
Kale
Bananas (tossed ‘em, they were gross)
Frozen mixed veggies
frozen peas & carrots
perogie
kielbasa

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2024, 08:00:29 PM »

Freezer/fridge:
chili (2)
lentils cooked (1)
naan (4) 3 2
bagels (6) 5
egg bites (3) 2 1
dolmas
roast veg
salad
greek yogurt (4)(3)
cottage cheese (4) 3

Pantry:
baking potatoes (10) (9) 8 6 4 3
red lentil quinoa pasta (6) 5
granola (6) 5 4 2

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2024, 03:51:57 AM »
We're almost out of yogurt. I have some old, unsweetened Almond Milk that is well past its expo date, but seems okay. A little google-fu reveals you can't use it to make yogurt, but you can use it to make chia pudding, so I'm trying that. It also said you could make yogurt out of fresh almond milk, so I am soaking pantry almonds overnight. This will be my first attempt at almond milk, but I've made yogurt from milk plenty of times. Fingers crossed that everything works.

I also made a triple batch of granola today, so DH will have breakfast for the rest of the month, and then some.

For tonight's dinner, I started with two boxes of mac'n cheese and a Buffalo Spice kit meant to be added to Kraft M&C*. I boiled the pasta and threw in a couple handfuls of round pasta for variety. Once I added the cheese and the spice pack, I dumped in some leftover homemade tomato soup, some scratch-made veggie crumbles that were loitering in the fridge, and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas. It turned out surprisingly well, and there are enough leftovers for a lunch or two, yay!

I suspect meals for the next few days are going to be similarly random. Stay tuned!

*aka "Kraft Dinner".

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 04:51:00 PM by Dicey »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!